Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Boris goes into intensive care

Comments

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

What in the name of fuck is that Peston "In ICU because he may need oxygen" line doing. Is Peston deliberately thick or just lieing.

I have switched the media off
  • Options
    DAlexanderDAlexander Posts: 815
    Terrible news about Boris.

Does anyone know the survival rates for this once you get to ICU? I'm hoping someone of his age has a good chance of getting through it.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

RobD said:

Charles said:

Scott_xP said:

Let's hope he recovers.

In the meantime, there are legitimate questions around

1. the Number 10 press handling of this. Did they lie to us all day?
    2. the constitutional position occupied by Raab. He can chair a meeting, but can he command the armed forces, for example?

1. Who gives a fuck
    2. The Queen is head of the armed forces, advised by the PM (in collaboration with Cabinet) and the SoS for Defence
    The Queen is not head of the armed forces, except in a ceremonial capacity.
    Isn't the oath to the monarch?
    Who cares? She has zero power over the armed forces regardless of daft oaths and pomp.
    You think? If instructed to do one thing by PM Corbyn and a different thing by HMQ personally, which way do you think the Brigade of Guards would break?
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Having spent a lot of time visiting ICU last autumn, you don’t automatically get a single room. But if you require barrier nursing you will be. You will normally be nursed 1:1. Occasionally they can do things other wards technically cannot, so a short stay of a few hours is possible. But if you’re there it’s a big deal, even if it can creep up on you.
  • Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688
    eadric said:

kle4 said:

With any luck Boris will make a recovery and back on his feet by the time we hit the top of the peak, hopefully in the next week or so. Fingers crossed.

This is extremely unlikely. I fear. Once you go into ICU it’s a long road back. But I hope I m wrong.
    Yes Eadric was mentioning this earlier today. There are reports that suggest serious lung damage may be permanent.

Someone else was asking me if Boris is a smoker? Anyone know?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,897
    edited April 2020

RobD said:

Charles said:

Scott_xP said:

Let's hope he recovers.

2. the constitutional position occupied by Raab. He can chair a meeting, but can he command the armed forces, for example?

1. Who gives a fuck
    2. The Queen is head of the armed forces, advised by the PM (in collaboration with Cabinet) and the SoS for Defence
    The Queen is not head of the armed forces, except in a ceremonial capacity.
    Isn't the oath to the monarch?
    Who cares? She has zero power over the armed forces regardless of daft oaths and pomp.
    Oaths and pomp are not daft, why do you think even non-royal armed forces have plenty of pomp? Or make oaths to a document or the nation not just their commanders?

As for who cares, that's hardly the question, since the inital quetion was about command of the armed forces, and that they are not commanded by the PM personally, but through royal prerogative which does not need to be exercised by the PM personally, makes it quite relevant that the Queen is head of the armed forces whether or not anyone cares, since it renders the initial 'confusion' over the question irrelevant.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985
    Jonathan said:

Having spent a lot of time visiting ICU last autumn, you don’t automatically get a single room. But if you require barrier nursing you will be. You will normally be nursed 1:1. Occasionally they can do things other wards technically cannot, so a short stay of a few hours is possible. But if you’re there it’s a big deal, even if it can creep up on you.

I suspect Boris will though.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Foxy said:

Charles said:

Foxy said:

Alistair said:

FFS. Doctor on Sky News saying that if you need ICU...you need ICU.

Yes, you are not moved to ICU as a precaution. There are other levels for that.
    Particularly when ICU beds are in high demand.
    My understanding was the only real different between ICU and HDU (in normal times) is the staffing ratios?
    ICU is normally 1 nurse per patient, HDU 1 Nurse per 2-3 patients, but also ICU has the capability for long term ventilation. In HDU that can only be done briefly, then transfer to ICU.
    Ok. My dad was on long term ventilation in HDU but I guess that it may have been upgraded in recent week.

Raab on the BBC looks shit scared
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,711
    Raab looks like a rabbit in headlights.
  • Options

Does anyone know the survival rates for this once you get to ICU? I'm hoping someone of his age has a good chance of getting through it.

I've read this weekend that it's 50%.

And Boris isn't fit. BMI is one of the factors relating to mortality.

Anyway I'm not putting the mockers on him. I shall head away for the night in a state of deep shock and desperately desperately desperately hoping that he makes it.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,218
    isam said:

Jonathan said:

Be kind to each other. What people may or may not have said earlier has no bearing on the current situation. A man is critically ill. We must hope for the best.

isam said:

Scott_xP said:

Let's hope he recovers.

Care to take the opportunity to apologise for calling him ‘Bozo’ all day today?
    I think you are being unfair. With the benefit of what we now know (which isn't very much) curbing the cut and thrust of partisanship is appropriate. No one really expected or wanted the current situation to prevail.
    Boris was taken to hospital last night after having the virus for 10 days. It was way past the time to stop trying to mock him, ridiculous as that attempt was. Tonight, on this thread, he posted comments that have provoked angry replies, not from me. I think it is the right thing to say ‘I overstepped the mark’ when you’ve done so, and it would calm feelings.
    Perhaps dialling back on the sanctimony might also help in the calming feelings stakes, enjoyable as it is for you.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    tlg86 said:

Betfair have suspended their next Prime Minister market.

Naughty, in my opinion. Who gets to decide when a market is in poor taste?
    It’s getting terribly close to coming into conflict with the Life Assurance Act 1774.
  • Options
    The state of Raab just then didn’t fill me with confidence.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,270

He'll do just fine.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,942
    I'm not in it but the Johnson exit date market is suspended.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Charles said:

RobD said:

Charles said:

Scott_xP said:

Let's hope he recovers.

1. Who gives a fuck
    and the Chief of the Defence Staff.
    I don’t believe so. The Chief of General Staff advises the Secretary of State (and the PM). They make the decisions on the recommendation to the Queen
    The First Lord of the Treasury tradionally nally takes the role of Prime Minister but I believe any Secretary of State can take on the role. Raab is in charge full stop.
    I agree
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,321

eadric said:

kle4 said:

With any luck Boris will make a recovery and back on his feet by the time we hit the top of the peak, hopefully in the next week or so. Fingers crossed.

This is extremely unlikely. I fear. Once you go into ICU it’s a long road back. But I hope I m wrong.
    Yes Eadric was mentioning this earlier today. There are reports that suggest serious lung damage may be permanent.

Someone else was asking me if Boris is a smoker? Anyone know?
    I don’t believe so. I think he occasionally smoked cigars to be sociable, but nothing more than that. Certainly not a heavy smoker like Cameron.

Anyway, I am off to bed. Good night, and I hope we wake to more reassuring bulletins tomorrow.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,277

Hoping Gove and Sedwell will be steading the ship behind the scenes.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Several blokes on here apparently.
  • Options
    TGOHF666TGOHF666 Posts: 2,052
    Pulpstar said:

Insider knowledge could distort.
  • Options

A little breathless, in the non-ill sense. The impression of being grabbed, hastily briefed and sent out to calm the nation. Best of luck to the man, no one wants to find out their mettle in these situations.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Raab is not ok.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Raab is not ok.

Is that a medical diagnosis?
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,877

Suspect those London parks will be very empty tomorrow.

Raab was certainly suggesting the current restrictions are going to stay in place after the original April 15th deadline but gave little clue as to when and how they might be eased.

Is the Austrian "route map to normality" the way for the UK? I find it hard to see social distancing surviving when more shops are open and it's interesting to see barbershops mentioned specifically for re-opening on May 1st.

This is perhaps the most difficult public policy decision the Government will have to face - the line between the economic imperative of trying to get things moving again has to be set against the public health imperative of risking a new wave of cases triggering a renewed lock down which could prolong and exacerbate the economic damage.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,731
    ydoethur said:

Alistair said:

Foxy said:

Alistair said:

Also, for security reasons etc, you would imagine it might be more than one bed you're using up/
    In normal times respiratory ICU admission gets their own individual room.
    In case you hadn’t noticed, the times are not entirely normal.

But yes, I would expect him to be in a separate room if only for security reasons. And of course, it would have to be checked out by security first before condoning off.

I am hoping that that is the reason for this otherwise slightly weird phrase, ‘a precaution in case he needs a ventilator.’
    Anyone wanting to sneak into a covid infested ICU to spy on the PM would be reckless indeed.
  • Options
    noisywinternoisywinter Posts: 249
    Why isn't he posting in English? What a dickhead
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    kle4 said:

Absolutely no chance.
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981

I don't want to sound paranoid but can we really trust what we are being told about his health...

If he was "Joe Bloggs" instead of Boris Johnson, they would tell you nothing about his condition. Being PM means that the country has an interest in the health of its Leader, but I expect that reports will be presented in the most positive way consistent with the facts.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,845

If he's not up to it Gove will act and install himself in Downing St.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

A little breathless, in the non-ill sense. The impression of being grabbed, hastily briefed and sent out to calm the nation. Best of luck to the man, no one wants to find out their mettle in these situations.
    He has the air of John Moore to me. I would be a lot happier if Hague was being lined up.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,321
    Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Alistair said:

Foxy said:

Alistair said:

Also, for security reasons etc, you would imagine it might be more than one bed you're using up/

But yes, I would expect him to be in a separate room if only for security reasons. And of course, it would have to be checked out by security first before condoning off.

I am hoping that that is the reason for this otherwise slightly weird phrase, ‘a precaution in case he needs a ventilator.’
    Anyone wanting to sneak into a covid infested ICU to spy on the PM would be reckless indeed.
    On the other hand, anyone wishing to assassinate him...
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Well... Betfair. Obviously...
  • Options
    edited April 2020

That's unkind. I would expect an english statement will probably follow, but for all his fluency it may be as simple as the exact sentiment he wished to convey is best done in his native language first, rather than risk some subtle translation issue.
  • Options
    edited April 2020

Because his first language is French, if you hadn't noticed. Boris's French is good enough to understand Macron clearly, even if yours isn't.
  • Options
    I don't generally watch the news myself, but it's time like these you need some truly unflappable newsreaders.
  • Options
    Why do we have to have Raab when Gove, Sunak or Hunt are available :( ?!
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

The current situation might just have rocked him a bit

They are only human after all
  • Options

Anyway I'm not putting the mockers on him. I shall head away for the night in a state of deep shock and desperately desperately desperately hoping that he makes it.
    Intensive Care National Audit and Research Centre gives figures 4 April: 2249 patients 346 dead 344 recovered 1559 unresolved https://www.icnarc.org/DataServices/Attachments/Download/76a7364b-4b76-ea11-9124-00505601089b

So 50:50 IF the unresolved majority follow the same pattern.
  • Options
    Does this make a government of national unity more or fewer less likely?
  • Options
    I know this isn't the time for any levity but just in case you need a touch, Sky News website have just posted this:

"Dr Simon Clarke, a microbiologist, has said he believes it is likely the government is receiving oxygen."

Well, quite. I think we all need it right now.

Back to being serious. Praying and sending best vibes to Boris and family.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,655
    I hope Raab is taking extra precautions to avoid infection.

The last thing we need is the acting PM coming down with it.
  • Options

More I think ?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

This is the first time that a deputy Prime Minister has deputised.

I don’t think a deputy Prime Minister has ever secured the top job.
  • Options

Doubt it makes much difference. There's really nothing in it for either side to form a unity government.
  • Options
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Clement Attlee says hello.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Sunak probably has enough on his plate, especially being so new to the job. Gove is probably better at being behind the scenes. Hunt is not a member of the government. So in terms of seniority Raab or Patel would be the obvious choices.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,007

What does Labour gain by joining it and what jobs would they be given.

I really don't see the point in doing so, an opposition allows questions to be raised in public rather than private. For this you want (some) questions asked in public, in an actual war you want everything done in private.
  • Options
    alteregoalterego Posts: 1,100

Showboating for the home crowd?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

More I think ?
    That's where I'm leaning as well.
  • Options

He's highly likely to be fine with it, a la Hancock.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,130

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

It's awful on a personal level for his family. It's also awful for us as a nation - he is/was in charge albeit not of an especially positive situation, and are we risk ending up with Raab in charge of a failing plan as the machinery of government is stricken with grief.

To be fair Rochdale, Raab running the show is the least of our concerns.
    It’s a considerable one for me.
    I think you know to what I was alluding.
    Actually, I’m not sure I do. Yes, this is very tragic for the PM, as it is for the many thousands of others in this situation. And for his family, and their families. And I hope he gets through it, as I would like all of them to come through it.

But the thought of the Cabinet being left to their own devices under Raab, of all people, is much scarier. They have not shown judgement or restraint in this crisis, and it’s easy to imagine them fighting like ferrets in a sack over position and policy just at the moment we need them to pull together. Much though I dislike and distrust Johnson, his prestige was a bulwark again that. There was no doubt he was in charge and unassailable.

Some of the governmental implications - for all of us - are horrible. For a start, it makes the risk of full lockdown and/or social disorder much higher.
    Yes this is exactly what I was eluding to. I understand Johnson. Even understand Cummings. But Raab? Thrust into the top seat with jealous men surrounding him? Hmmm.
    It's quite Shakespearean.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Alistair said:

Foxy said:

Alistair said:

On the other hand, anyone wishing to assassinate him...
    In response to that statement. 'Yay. I've just assassinated a Head of State...cough, cough...oh sh....'
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

I'll assume you mean de facto deputy Prime Minister given though he deputising for the PM, he is not Deputy PM.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Pulpstar said:

Sunak probably has enough on his plate, especially being so new to the job. Gove is probably better at being behind the scenes. Hunt is not a member of the government. So in terms of seniority Raab or Patel would be the obvious choices.
    Lord least it's not Patel.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Clement Attlee says hello.
    Well he should definitely be resting up right now!
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited April 2020

There has been a lot of speculation that he's already had it. That is nevertheless just speculation, ofcourse.
  • Options

I'll tell you something weird: ed Miliband's involvement would inspire more confidence in me then anyone currently in the cabinet. And I'd give my eye teeth for Cameron and Osborne.
  • Options
    Johnson did want to be seen as the hero of Brexit. He may be the martyr of Covid-19.
  • Options
    Prof Derek Hill, Professor of Medical Imaging, University College London (UCL), said:

“It seems clear that the Prime Minister went to hospital because he had difficulty breathing. It seems he was initially put on oxygen, and was conscious.

"One of the features of COVID-19 in all countries seems to be that many more men become seriously ill than women - especially in the over 40 age group. Also we know that people under about 60 seem to have a higher chance of making a recovery from critical illness with COVID-19 than older people. But there is no doubt this turn of events means Boris Johnson is extremely sick."
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Even that moron Peter Hitchens has shut up this evening. No tweets for two hours.

Piers Morgan, alas, is still at it...
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Pulpstar said:

How quickly could Cameron be given a peerage? Asking for a friend.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,454
    Pulpstar said:

I know.
  • Options

The vision of Raab with a Durex over his head popped into my mind on reading your post.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Pulpstar said:

If it is Patel then I want to leave the country, and I don't care about the lockdown.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,655
    Pulpstar said:

He's highly likely to be fine with it, a la Hancock.
    Hancock wasn't fine. He couldn't eat anything for 48 hours and lost half a stone.
  • Options
    Floater said:

Prof Derek Hill, Professor of Medical Imaging, University College London (UCL), said:

“It seems clear that the Prime Minister went to hospital because he had difficulty breathing. It seems he was initially put on oxygen, and was conscious.

"One of the features of COVID-19 in all countries seems to be that many more men become seriously ill than women - especially in the over 40 age group. Also we know that people under about 60 seem to have a higher chance of making a recovery from critical illness with COVID-19 than older people. But there is no doubt this turn of events means Boris Johnson is extremely sick."

"It seems clear". Is this actually based on anything, or just an assumption?
  • Options
    Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,389
    kle4 said:

That's unkind. I would expect an english statement will probably follow, but for all his fluency it may be as simple as the exact sentiment he wished to convey is best done in his native language first, rather than risk some subtle translation issue.
    For the people who don't speak French -

All my support for Boris Johnson, his family and the British people at this difficult time. I wish him to overcome this ordeal quickly.

Macron
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I was in it but for entirely different reasons. I went in based on the David Herdson article a couple of months back.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Floater said:

The fact we are told he is having difficulty breathing and "not on a ventilator yet"?
  • Options
    RobD said:

kle4 said:

Pulpstar said:

Depends on how quickly the Queen can issue letters patent?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Johnson did want to be seen as the hero of Brexit. He may be the martyr of Covid-19.

Not nice!
  • Options
    I presume Putin is buggering about in the North Sea and Channel areas as we write.
  • Options
    Floater said:

RobD said:

Floater said:

The fact we are told he is having difficulty breathing and "not on a ventilator yet"?
    You can be on oxygen without being on a ventilator? Sorry, I had assumed they were the same.
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,016
    RobD said:

kle4 said:

Pulpstar said:

He doesn't need one. Anyone can be Prime Minister.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Intensive Care National Audit and Research Centre gives figures 4 April: 2249 patients 346 dead 344 recovered 1559 unresolved https://www.icnarc.org/DataServices/Attachments/Download/76a7364b-4b76-ea11-9124-00505601089b

It is 50/50 for patients who are intubated, so just being in ICU the odds are slightly better.

Really hope Boris beats the odds.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Not nice!
    The truth is absolubtely fucking grim at the moment.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,731
    IshmaelZ said:

33/67 for those requiring Advanced Respiratory Support. (Discharged/Dead)
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,183
    RobD said:

Floater said:

RobD said:

Floater said:

You can be on oxygen without being on a ventilator? Sorry, I had assumed they were the same.
    Oxygen is just when you get given a facemask attached to a tank - you see them at sports matches. A ventilator is a mechanical apparatus that takes over breathing for you.
  • Options

I presume Putin is buggering about in the North Sea and Channel areas as we write.

We have bigger fish to fry at the moment than worrying about that Dick on manouvres.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913
    Charles said:

Foxy said:

Charles said:

Foxy said:

Alistair said:

My understanding was the only real different between ICU and HDU (in normal times) is the staffing ratios?
    ICU is normally 1 nurse per patient, HDU 1 Nurse per 2-3 patients, but also ICU has the capability for long term ventilation. In HDU that can only be done briefly, then transfer to ICU.
    Ok. My dad was on long term ventilation in HDU but I guess that it may have been upgraded in recent week.

Raab on the BBC looks shit scared
    I wish Boris and his family all the best and that he gets through this however long it takes. His own health must be his priority now.

Without trying to be political I am genuinely nervous that someone as inexperienced as Raab is now in charge. I truly think these are scary times and the country really needs someone more reassuring at the helm.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Floater said:

RobD said:

Floater said:

Not the same, no. My partner after his accident started on a ventilator and then moved after a few days to oxygen. He couldn’t talk on a ventilator and communicated when out of his coma by squeezing my hand. He could speak (a tiny bit) when on oxygen.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,951

Pulpstar said:

I know.
    From what I've seen (admittedly very little) of them all up close, I would have chosen Raab as my deputy too.

He has empathy and warmth. And a sense of humour

Hunt has some of those qualities too.

For cold, hard, political operator. Gove is all you need. But at a time of national crisis, empathy wins.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,711

RobD said:

kle4 said:

Pulpstar said:

Theresa May is still a MP.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,220
    The Cabinet Secretary and his team will be under some stress too at a time like this. Best wishes to them too.
  • Options
    If people are looking for a slightly lighter story, the New Zealand Health minister has been caught doing a Calderwood (went to the beach). Is just about hanging on to his job for now...
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

RobD said:

Floater said:

RobD said:

Floater said:

Oxygen is just when you get given a facemask attached to a tank - you see them at sports matches. A ventilator is a mechanical apparatus that takes over breathing for you.
    Thanks!
  • Options

kle4 said:

For the people who don't speak French -

All my support for Boris Johnson, his family and the British people at this difficult time. I wish him to overcome this ordeal quickly.

Macron
    It's a pefectly laudable sentiment and well expressed but ominous that a Head of State should feel the need to make such a public statement.
  • Options

RobD said:

kle4 said:

Pulpstar said:

Theresa May is still a MP.
    To think we didn't like it when nothing had changed.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

More I think ?
    SKS would be a boringly safe pair of hands par excellence, cometh the hour..
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,363
    Godbless Boris and his family. May he recover swiftly.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    RobD said:

Floater said:

RobD said:

Floater said:

Very, very different.
  • Options
    noisywinternoisywinter Posts: 249
    Foxy said:

IshmaelZ said:

33/67 for those requiring Advanced Respiratory Support. (Discharged/Dead)
    Does ARS mean a ventilator?
  • Options
    Goodnight Peeps :+1:
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Pulpstar said:

I know.
    From what I've seen (admittedly very little) of them all up close, I would have chosen Raab as my deputy too.

He has empathy and warmth. And a sense of humour

Hunt has some of those qualities too.

For cold, hard, political operator. Gove is all you need. But at a time of national crisis, empathy wins.
    Really? I'm not seeing that in him but I don't really know him.

I don't think it comes across publicly.
This discussion has been closed.