Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » What happened on Betfair’s next PM market after news of Boris’

Comments

• Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,079
    edited April 2020
    Chris said:

The evolution of the Italian statistics on the age distribution of fatalities does suggest that younger patients are taking much longer to die. A tiny proportion of the dead were below 60 early on. A significantly larger proportion now.

If younger people take longer to die, it would imply they account for a larger proportion of the patients in ICU than might be expected, and might partly explain comments like the one quoted.

Makes sense. And I suppose in extremis the ICU would become entirely free of the elderly if they were to be denied it on age grounds. I'm thinking we are not doing any of this atm in the UK - but how would we know if we were? Tweets from doctors or Hancock on the telly?
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,821
    Looks like a Fib to me
    Tory Fibs
    @ToryFibs
    Unconfirmed:

Several English Newspapers state that Boris Johnson is now receiving oxygen treatment 12 days after be tested positive for Coronavirus.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,839
    kle4 said:

Sandpit said:

We can add Premier League football players to the list of people making idiots of themselves this week, refusing pay cuts even as non-playing staff of the clubs get furloughed. The PFA are seriously trying to argue that the clubs not paying their seven figure salaries would deprive the NHS of tax revenues!

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2020/04/05/pfa-calls-full-financial-disclosure-clubs-hits-back-matt-hancocks/

Contrast with the Premier League rugby players, who have agreed to pay cuts and furloughs, and of course the F1 teams who have donated huge resources to help the fight.

I'm still baffled more clubs havent gone for a PR boost wherein even if players are receiving full salary they decide to donate half of it or a third or whatever to charitable causes.

For the big clubs it would make no difference to the players and engender hugely positive press. No, footballers shouldn't be scapegoats, but being cynical itd be easy to look great right now.
    The issue is that the clubs could end up having to pay several hundred million back to Sky and other broadcasters, sponsors and other affiliates. If the season ends up played in empty stadia there will be no ticket and hospitality revenue either. Several clubs could be in serious financial difficulties as a result.

To the man in the street, it doesn't seem outrageous that players who are not playing or training could happily take a 50% pay cut, given they all earn at least five figures a week. The PFA comes across like Bob Crow threatening to march out the Tube drivers during the Olympics.
  • Options
    FossFoss Posts: 694
    edited April 2020

Looks like a Fib to me
    Tory Fibs
    @ToryFibs
    Unconfirmed:

Several English Newspapers state that Boris Johnson is now receiving oxygen treatment 12 days after be tested positive for Coronavirus.

If it was true then those newspapers would have names.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,571
    IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

kamski said:

HYUFD said:

When he fully recovers Boris might be even more determined to hold China to account.

He will have been close to the abyss and it will be personal.

'Hold China to account' - Are you suggesting it was deliberate?
    This could open a whole can of worms. Some may want to hold the UK to account for slavery or the industrial revolution.
    China are responsible for failing to put their own house in order, lying about it and then spreading propaganda and misinformation worldwide.

The UK stuff is a lot of left-wing piss and wind.
    Just how eaxactly will Boris 'hold China to account'?
    Coordinating foreign and economic policy across the West and with India.

This might well depend on Trump losing the White House in November though.
    Not necessarily, Macron, Abe, Modi and Trudeau have shown they will work with Trump when required
    India accounts for just 2% of China's foreign trade (3% of exports and 1% of imports - which just emphasises how little India has of anything that China wants or needs).

But it is, tragically, currently led by an extreme far-right anti-democratic ethno-nationalist, so maybe that is why you are often so keen on India?
    India, more so than anywhere else, is going to be completely screwed by this virus.

They can't enforce a lockdown, and they have some of the most densely populated cities on earth - with no running water or supermarkets, nor anything close to sufficient medical facilities.
    Average life expectancy in India though is only 55 compared to 81 here and it is only over 80s who have a more than 10% death rate from Covid 19.

The death rate for 50 to 59 year olds is only 1.3% by contrast
    That the average life expectancy in India is only 55, suggests that many people in their 40s and 50s are already seriously ill.

It's only over 80s with a high death rate in Western countries with good medical systems - if this goes around India as it has everywhere else, it's not unreasonable to expect tens of millions of deaths.
    It is high BMI and diabetes and cancer and heart conditions that increase your chances of dying from Covid 19, again those tend to be more diseases of age and of rich western nations and few Indians are obese
    More than anything else, it's a lack of sufficient medical resources that determines the death rate. India is very much third world in this regard.

I stand by my comments from weeks ago, that India will most likely have the highest death toll of any country when the virus is finally under control.
    You only tend to need medical treatment on average if you are old or obese or with pre existing health conditions anyway
    Like, what, AIDS, malaria, TB, polio, dysentery, treatment resistant bacterial pneumonia, pollution-linked lung disease and malnutrition? To repeat a question I asked you the other day, have you ever been to any third world country?
    The Palestinian authority, parts of Mauritius which were less wealthy but it is pre existing health conditions that impact on Covid 19 death rate only which are relevant
    That's a no, then. And what on earth makes you think that you can read across from data about the first world and China to countries like India? What do you think of this argument: victims in China and Europe are predominantly yellow or white skinned; the vast majority of Indians are brown skinned; therefore India will be largely immune to the disease?
    HYUFD does not do logic so showing him a logical flaw by analogy is pointless. I have tried umpteen times by both doing this and also resorting to converting statements made into logical notation (so taking out the contention of the points and reducing to logical notation). He doesn't understand it. He can pick up lots of facts, which is really useful and interesting but is completely incapable of logical deduction or the implication of context.
  • Options
    Foss said:

Looks like a Fib to me
    Tory Fibs
    @ToryFibs
    Unconfirmed:

If it was true then the newspapers would have names.
    Indeed
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,209
    edited April 2020
    Chris said:

kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

The average IQ of the shadow cabinet just went through the roof.

Whats Burgons IQ?
    You seem to get really irate at such comments. Do you not think people should be able to speculate about the intellectual capacity of senior politicians without access to an actual IQ test? It's fine, Raab for one gets it too (though not so much as Burgon)
    Do you think the Cambridge graduate has a low IQ? Or for that matter the Oxford graduate to whom you also refer?

I dont think they have and therefore would never make such a stupid comment
    I suppose it's all relative, but I'd have thought we'd all have met some pretty unintelligent Oxbridge graduates.
    This is a joke, right? Have you ever met anyone, either online or in real life, who is as intelligent as you?
  • Options
    ABZABZ Posts: 441

MaxPB said:

TGOHF666 said:

Austria have announced the beginning of the end of their lockdown.

Should imagine we will be a week or so behind this timeline.

https://www.barrons.com/news/austria-could-start-loosening-lockdown-from-april-14-chancellor-01586165703

"The aim is that from April 14... smaller shops up to a size of 400 square metres, as well as hardware and garden stores can open again, under strict security conditions of course," Kurz said at a press conference.

He added that if the government's timetable goes to plan, larger shops will reopen on 1 May and from mid-May hotels, restaurants and other services could also start to open their doors again in stages.

Good news for Austria.

I think us being a week or so behind their timetable is optimistic.
    It gives us a reliable source of data as well wrt a possible second wave on easing of restrictions.
    True
    I think we are a couple of weeks at least behind that (more likely three I'd guess - a six week lockdown seems optimal).

But in a sense that's not so bad - it suggests that IF we get this under control, we can envisage smaller shops reopening but with social distancing enforced carefully (and I suspect the requirement that people wear masks) from around the May Bank Holiday weekend.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,703

Andy_JS said:

"Britain has millions of coronavirus antibody tests, but they don’t work

None of the antibody tests ordered by the government is good enough to use, the new testing chief has admitted.
    Professor John Newton said that tests ordered from China were able to identify immunity accurately only in people who had been severely ill and that Britain was no longer hoping to buy millions of kits off the shelf."

(£)

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/britain-has-millions-of-coronavirus-antibody-tests-but-they-don-t-work-j7kb55g89

They work for China's purposes - of not wanting to find people with Covid-19....
    There's an easier way of doing that.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,606
    But the easyJet board said they will bounce back in six months time!
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341

Use of coal at six of the top Chinese power producers is back up to near 2018 and 2019 levels:

Disappointing for the environment
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

Are we heading for a world where sane political centrists could actually have a choice of as many as two political parties who could realistically form a government? We are living through a political revolution.

Let's hope so, imagine having a choice of sensible options at an election. Not been like this since 2001.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,134
    MaxPB said:

TGOHF666 said:

https://www.barrons.com/news/austria-could-start-loosening-lockdown-from-april-14-chancellor-01586165703

"The aim is that from April 14... smaller shops up to a size of 400 square metres, as well as hardware and garden stores can open again, under strict security conditions of course," Kurz said at a press conference.

He added that if the government's timetable goes to plan, larger shops will reopen on 1 May and from mid-May hotels, restaurants and other services could also start to open their doors again in stages.

Good news for Austria.

It gives us a reliable source of data as well wrt a possible second wave on easing of restrictions.
    Liam Fox's article posted up(down?)thread gives some pointers about how we might do it, by classifying people into groups who may be reintegrated into the wider community at different speeds.
  • Options
    TGOHF666TGOHF666 Posts: 2,052
    edited April 2020
    Chris said:

TGOHF666 said:

Chris said:

TGOHF666 said:

Which tells me you have not the slightest clue about the vast gulf between the Austrian numbers and the British ones.
    Your post tells me you haven't read the article.
    Don't give me that bullshit. The article says nothing about the UK.

Just look at the bloody figures. Maximum number of daily deaths in Austria ever recorded: 22.

How can anyone be so stupid?
    Italy and Spain data show a dropping off - we wont be far behind after Easter.

Austria aren't opening up tomorrow - they are releasing a plan for the next few weeks - all very sensible and this will turn the focus on Uk following on.

• Options
    Sandpit said:

We can add Premier League football players to the list of people making idiots of themselves this week, refusing pay cuts even as non-playing staff of the clubs get furloughed. The PFA are seriously trying to argue that the clubs not paying their seven figure salaries would deprive the NHS of tax revenues!

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2020/04/05/pfa-calls-full-financial-disclosure-clubs-hits-back-matt-hancocks/

Contrast with the Premier League rugby players, who have agreed to pay cuts and furloughs, and of course the F1 teams who have donated huge resources to help the fight.

What's happened to the argument that the very wealthy contribute massively to society because of all the tax they pay?

It's bollox of course but you would be one of those usually very keen to make it.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,097
    edited April 2020
    TOPPING said:

Chris said:

kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

Whats Burgons IQ?
    You seem to get really irate at such comments. Do you not think people should be able to speculate about the intellectual capacity of senior politicians without access to an actual IQ test? It's fine, Raab for one gets it too (though not so much as Burgon)
    Do you think the Cambridge graduate has a low IQ? Or for that matter the Oxford graduate to whom you also refer?

I suppose it's all relative, but I'd have thought we'd all have met some pretty unintelligent Oxbridge graduates.
    This is a joke, right? Have you ever met anyone, either online or in real life, who is as intelligent as you?
    Of course, many. Though not the person I'm replying to now, I'm afraid ...
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    Christina Rees sacked from shadow cabinet.
  • Options
    kjh said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

kamski said:

HYUFD said:

When he fully recovers Boris might be even more determined to hold China to account.

This could open a whole can of worms. Some may want to hold the UK to account for slavery or the industrial revolution.
    China are responsible for failing to put their own house in order, lying about it and then spreading propaganda and misinformation worldwide.

Not necessarily, Macron, Abe, Modi and Trudeau have shown they will work with Trump when required
    India accounts for just 2% of China's foreign trade (3% of exports and 1% of imports - which just emphasises how little India has of anything that China wants or needs).

But it is, tragically, currently led by an extreme far-right anti-democratic ethno-nationalist, so maybe that is why you are often so keen on India?
    India, more so than anywhere else, is going to be completely screwed by this virus.

They can't enforce a lockdown, and they have some of the most densely populated cities on earth - with no running water or supermarkets, nor anything close to sufficient medical facilities.
    Average life expectancy in India though is only 55 compared to 81 here and it is only over 80s who have a more than 10% death rate from Covid 19.

That the average life expectancy in India is only 55, suggests that many people in their 40s and 50s are already seriously ill.

It's only over 80s with a high death rate in Western countries with good medical systems - if this goes around India as it has everywhere else, it's not unreasonable to expect tens of millions of deaths.
    It is high BMI and diabetes and cancer and heart conditions that increase your chances of dying from Covid 19, again those tend to be more diseases of age and of rich western nations and few Indians are obese
    More than anything else, it's a lack of sufficient medical resources that determines the death rate. India is very much third world in this regard.

I stand by my comments from weeks ago, that India will most likely have the highest death toll of any country when the virus is finally under control.
    You only tend to need medical treatment on average if you are old or obese or with pre existing health conditions anyway
    Like, what, AIDS, malaria, TB, polio, dysentery, treatment resistant bacterial pneumonia, pollution-linked lung disease and malnutrition? To repeat a question I asked you the other day, have you ever been to any third world country?
    The Palestinian authority, parts of Mauritius which were less wealthy but it is pre existing health conditions that impact on Covid 19 death rate only which are relevant
    That's a no, then. And what on earth makes you think that you can read across from data about the first world and China to countries like India? What do you think of this argument: victims in China and Europe are predominantly yellow or white skinned; the vast majority of Indians are brown skinned; therefore India will be largely immune to the disease?
    HYUFD does not do logic so showing him a logical flaw by analogy is pointless. I have tried umpteen times by both doing this and also resorting to converting statements made into logical notation (so taking out the contention of the points and reducing to logical notation). He doesn't understand it. He can pick up lots of facts, which is really useful and interesting but is completely incapable of logical deduction or the implication of context.
    She not he.
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,435

Who?!
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Singapore has 2 airports and Changi has 4 terminals. Closing one of the 4 hardly seems like the apocalypse.

• Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    edited April 2020

Who?!
    Neath MP. Shadow Secretary for Wales. Ex wife of Ron Davies.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,708
    edited April 2020
    Chris said:

TGOHF666 said:

Chris said:

TGOHF666 said:

Which tells me you have not the slightest clue about the vast gulf between the Austrian numbers and the British ones.

Just look at the bloody figures. Maximum number of daily deaths in Austria ever recorded: 22.

According to Worldometer: compared to UK, Austria has twice as many cases per 1M of population yet only one third of the deaths per 1M of population. UK population density is much greater than Austria. Curious.
  • Options
    Lord Burgon of Bungle?
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,380
    kinabalu said:

I posted this tweet this morning. It’s worth reposting:

https://twitter.com/shanxonline/status/1246976779400753155?s=21

Right. And I've read plenty similar from the front line. A great many of the very sick on vents are middle aged men.

But how does this square up with the data that those who die are mainly old?

Does it mean that lots of the older ones are dying BEFORE ventilator stage, either because they go quickly or because they are being denied it on scarcity and prioritization grounds?
    Possibly. Looking at that account of trajectory it's about 50-somethings doing initially quite well, then declining after a longer period of time. If middle aged who die take a lot longer to do so than elderly who die then, even if the same numbers of both are arriving and getting treatment, there will be more 50-somethings (depending on the relative times to deah, you could have more 50-somethings even if fewer of them are arriving in the first place).

We also have to be careful with these anecdotal data. Reports from clinicians are valid of their experience and informative, but they are themselves seeing a very distorted picture. Our next-door neighbour's sister is an ICU nurse and has been horrified at what she's been seeing for weeks, urging us all to stay at home well before the lock down, but she - by job role - is only seeing those very sick with COVID-19, not seeing the large numbers who have a relatively mild infection. Not to belittle this at all, it's a serious thing, but the only numbers that give a true(ish) picture are whole population (in whatever area). Even with those, we're probably not picking up at all a lot of the milder cases.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,932

Looks like a Fib to me
    Tory Fibs
    @ToryFibs
    Unconfirmed:

I would trust the front page of the Mail to be accurate - partly because this is the drip style effect we've seen this Government use and secondly because there does seem to be a potential risk of sudden decline. And there is this from my tweeter feed earlier

https://twitter.com/shanxonline/status/1246976779400753155
  • Options
    T2 is the old terminal there (opened in 1990) and dedicated to regional and low-cost airlines.

They were most likely planning a refurb anyway, and have brought it forward.
  • Options
    ABZ said:

MaxPB said:

TGOHF666 said:

Good news for Austria.

True
    I think we are a couple of weeks at least behind that (more likely three I'd guess - a six week lockdown seems optimal).

But in a sense that's not so bad - it suggests that IF we get this under control, we can envisage smaller shops reopening but with social distancing enforced carefully (and I suspect the requirement that people wear masks) from around the May Bank Holiday weekend.
    I think everyone would settle for that.

I have a feeling our numbers tomorrow (not those due out at 2pm today) will be really bad.

I reckon they may test the worst new daily deaths recorded anywhere in Europe so far.

Has anyone topped 1000 in a day? It wouldnt surprise me if we got very close to the 1000 tomorrow.

Would love to be wrong
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    Good-looking numbers from Spain: not just that new cases are falling, but the number of recovered is picking up. The point of crossover should be the next few days.
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,380
    MaxPB said:

TGOHF666 said:

Good news for Austria.

We're very lucky to be a week or two behind lots of places (that are more comparable to us/more transparent than China) so that we'll be able to learn - hopefully - from their experiences.
  • Options

Credit to Starmer on this one. I didn't think he would have the balls to do this.

You are not the most astute reader of the Labour Party, it has to be said.
  • Options

Foss said:

Looks like a Fib to me
    Tory Fibs
    @ToryFibs
    Unconfirmed:

Indeed
    Although....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5rXfOxvgVY&feature=youtu.be

(at around 48 seconds).
  • Options
    TGOHF666 said:

Chris said:

TGOHF666 said:

Chris said:

TGOHF666 said:

Italy and Spain data show a dropping off - we wont be far behind after Easter.

Austria aren't opening up tomorrow - they are releasing a plan for the next few weeks - all very sensible and this will focus on Uk following on.

Well - Austrian daily cases peaked about a fortnight ago (and their apparent fatality rate indicates that unlike the UK, they aren't just detecting 2-3% of the true figure).

Even that tiny sample for the UK is 6000 and rising.

It's absolute nonsense to suggest we're a week behind Austria.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,336
    Foss said:

Looks like a Fib to me
    Tory Fibs
    @ToryFibs
    Unconfirmed:

(Guardian)
    The Times says Johnson is being treated in the nearest NHS hospital to Downing Street – Guys and St Thomas’ on the south bank of the Thames.

It was understood that Mr Johnson was driven to St Thomas’ hospital, across the Thames from Westminster, at about 8pm, and given oxygen treatment. He did not need an ambulance. Officials emphasised that it was not an emergency admission. They said that his doctor had wanted him to be assessed in hospital....
  • Options

kjh said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

kamski said:

HYUFD said:

She not he.
    :) He is definitely a he. If you are referring to a conversation of a few days ago you must have missed the end of it. The chair being a female was out of date. He was the vice chair and now the chair.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Really, how likely are people to be willingly flying then.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124

kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

Whats Burgons IQ?

Look IQ is a measure of intelligence - but quite often a high IQ is no barrier to stupidity. I juat discovered today that Burgon was an alumnus at my old College. I don't think I'll ever be the same again. Also remember that entry to Oxbridge while largely linked to relatively high academic ability it has never been exclusively so. Prince Charles went to Trinity Cambridge. I believe TSE may also be a Cambridge man :smiley: You can't win them all.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,234
    Nigelb said:

Foss said:

Looks like a Fib to me
    Tory Fibs
    @ToryFibs
    Unconfirmed:

(Guardian)
    The Times says Johnson is being treated in the nearest NHS hospital to Downing Street – Guys and St Thomas’ on the south bank of the Thames.

It was understood that Mr Johnson was driven to St Thomas’ hospital, across the Thames from Westminster, at about 8pm, and given oxygen treatment. He did not need an ambulance. Officials emphasised that it was not an emergency admission. They said that his doctor had wanted him to be assessed in hospital....
    Where is Boris now? Hospital or home?
  • Options
    I have a feeling my MP will get a Junior Ministerial post
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Chris said:

TGOHF666 said:

Chris said:

TGOHF666 said:

According to Worldometer: compared to UK, Austria has twice as many cases per 1M of population yet only one third of the deaths per 1M of population. UK population density is much greater than Austria. Curious.
    Obviously because Austria has detected a much larger percentage of its cases - not just the cases that are hospitalised.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    kinabalu said:

Sandpit said:

What's happened to the argument that the very wealthy contribute massively to society because of all the tax they pay?

It's bollox of course but you would be one of those usually very keen to make it.
    In normal times yes, I'd argue for rich people who pay taxes. But these are not normal times, and the PL footballers come across as entitled and inflexible - when everyone else is bending over backwards to help out. None of them will go hungry if they don't get paid for three months.

The PL itself, and a number of clubs could be in serious financial difficulties if the season isn't completed with crowds in the stadia and the matches on Pay-TV. IMO we are most likely to see empty stadia and matches free to air.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Foss said:

Looks like a Fib to me
    Tory Fibs
    @ToryFibs
    Unconfirmed:

(Guardian)

I have no idea, other than that it's reported he overnighted in hospital.
    I don't think you can infer much more about his condition for now.

There's not a huge amount of point speculating, as it will become clear one way or another fairly soon.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,216

Nigelb said:

Foss said:

Looks like a Fib to me
    Tory Fibs
    @ToryFibs
    Unconfirmed:

(Guardian)

The "English Newspapers" makes it sound like a comment from someone not from the UK... Fake News from the Russia Troll farms again.

In other news, some FOFs in the US are working on some very fun fake news involving Putin.
  • Options
    Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 2,731
    felix said:

kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

Whats Burgons IQ?

Look IQ is a measure of intelligence - but quite often a high IQ is no barrier to stupidity. I juat discovered today that Burgon was an alumnus at my old College. I don't think I'll ever be the same again. Also remember that entry to Oxbridge while largely linked to relatively high academic ability it has never been exclusively so. Prince Charles went to Trinity Cambridge. I believe TSE may also be a Cambridge man :smiley: You can't win them all.
    Oxbridge under constant pressure to admit people from disadvantaged backgrounds. It's hard to imagine a greater disadvantage than low IQ. Why should the Low-IQ Community be excluded from this benevolent gesture?
  • Options
    eek said:

MaxPB said:

Indeed, hence Stelios roasting the board this morning.
  • Options
    Chris said:

Well, at least pneumonia was known as the "old man's friend", because it's relatively painless.

It's hard to find the right tone and level of detail to discuss this aspect - HOW you die of covid - but I really do think it is important.

Because if you are old and you leave this world in a painless and unprolonged manner that is worth something. It's worth quite a lot.

Focus just on death TOLL misses this point. There are good and bad deaths. It should be in the mix for the decision-making, both political and personal, macro and micro.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

eek said:

MaxPB said:

The problem there is how do you get out of the contract - it's possible that by keeping the order Easyjet will get a bail out they otherwise wouldn't get.

Did Easyjet cancel their dividend or pay it?
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    geoffw said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

That's a yes then as gdp per capita in the Palestinian authority is well below the global average.
    The biggest factor in terms of likelihood to die from Covid 19 is age, you may not like that but facts are facts

You do this Gradgrindish facts are facts shtick but you are incapable of putting the simplest fact in its proper context. The biggest factor in terms of likelihood to die from Covid 19 is age IN THE POPULATIONS WE HAVE STUDIED. THIS MAKES A DIFFERENCE.
    Looks pretty universal from what I have seen.
    We have no evidence - yet - as to how it pans out in a genuine 3rd world country. What we do seem to know is that a lot of deaths arise from the health system falling over, which doesn't bode well for India. Secondly, even if the age - fatality correlation holds in India, that just means that there will be more deaths among the oldest cohort. It doesn't mean that they will get away unscathed because oldest cohort in the West means 70s and 80s.

And anyway this whole argument depends on one of HYUFD's most magisterial bellyflops.

HYUFD

"Average life expectancy in India though is only 55 compared to 81 here and it is only over 80s who have a more than 10% death rate from Covid 19.

The death rate for 50 to 59 year olds is only 1.3% by contrast."

In reality, https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/SP.DYN.LE00.IN?locations=IN

Life expectancy in India - 69. (Confirmed by a million other sources).

Which neutralises the whole argument. It will just turn out that it is the over 60s who have a 10%+ death rate in India.

Facts, eh?
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,445
    "Chinese tourist sites packed as country comes out of lockdown, but experts say risk still high"

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/04/06/asia/china-coronavirus-tourist-warning-intl-hnk/index.html
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Chris said:

TGOHF666 said:

Chris said:

TGOHF666 said:

Not really, if they've tested a much larger proportion of their population.
  • Options
    eek said:

MaxPB said:

eek said:

MaxPB said:

The problem there is how do you get out of the contract - it's possible that by keeping the order Easyjet will get a bail out they otherwise wouldn't get.

Paid it. The issue is that they don't need a bailout, shareholders are willing to stump up the cash but the board seem to be ploughing on with buying the planes with taxpayer money.
  • Options
    This news on Boris is worrying as I have been mistaken for Boris. Well actually a Boris look-a-like, was mistaken for me, but close enough and I am 10 years the wrong side of him.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

geoffw said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

That's a yes then as gdp per capita in the Palestinian authority is well below the global average.
    The biggest factor in terms of likelihood to die from Covid 19 is age, you may not like that but facts are facts

You do this Gradgrindish facts are facts shtick but you are incapable of putting the simplest fact in its proper context. The biggest factor in terms of likelihood to die from Covid 19 is age IN THE POPULATIONS WE HAVE STUDIED. THIS MAKES A DIFFERENCE.
    We have no evidence - yet - as to how it pans out in a genuine 3rd world country. What we do seem to know is that a lot of deaths arise from the health system falling over, which doesn't bode well for India. Secondly, even if the age - fatality correlation holds in India, that just means that there will be more deaths among the oldest cohort. It doesn't mean that they will get away unscathed because oldest cohort in the West means 70s and 80s.

And anyway this whole argument depends on one of HYUFD's most magisterial bellyflops.

HYUFD

"Average life expectancy in India though is only 55 compared to 81 here and it is only over 80s who have a more than 10% death rate from Covid 19.

Which neutralises the whole argument. It will just turn out that it is the over 60s who have a 10%+ death rate in India.

Facts, eh?
    Add to that, although morbid obesity is fairly uncommon (around 5% overall), some areas have a high proportion of the population overweight.
  • Options
    Foss said:

Foss said:

Looks like a Fib to me
    Tory Fibs
    @ToryFibs
    Unconfirmed:

Indeed
    Although....

(at around 48 seconds).
    Bloody Hell.

Hope he is going to get through this.

Foxy was giving him an 85% chance last night based on actuarial factors I think but hadnt factored in him needing oxygen.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

geoffw said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD

Facts, eh?
    Also in the poor parts of the 3rd world, many serious conditions go untreated.

A doctor of my aquaintance, who works with these groups, suggests that essentially *everyone* from such situations is suffering from some kind of treatable disease by western standards. Often parasites, but tons of other things.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095

Nigelb said:

Foss said:

Looks like a Fib to me
    Tory Fibs
    @ToryFibs
    Unconfirmed:

(Guardian)

You'll have to wait for Laura K's first quesion.

(Even though it will have already been answered in the introduction....)

• Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,141
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

India will soon be the 3rd largest global economy, the US is the biggest global economy, a squeeze from them, the EU, the UK and Japan on China with economic sanctions if they do not close wet markets and improve lab safety would hit Beijing

I don't know about the EU and the UK but I am highly confident that Japan is not going to do that.
    There is little love lost between Tokyo and Beijing
    It's not about love, it's about money
  • Options

Foss said:

Foss said:

Looks like a Fib to me
    Tory Fibs
    @ToryFibs
    Unconfirmed:

Indeed
    Although....

(at around 48 seconds).
    Bloody Hell.

Foxy was giving him an 85% chance last night based on actuarial factors I think but hadnt factored in him needing oxygen.
    I would guess that most admitted to hospital will be given oxygen initially, since they end up there because of low blood oxygen. Doesn't tell you much more about the severity for now.
  • Options

Shadow Ministerial post....
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

India will soon be the 3rd largest global economy, the US is the biggest global economy, a squeeze from them, the EU, the UK and Japan on China with economic sanctions if they do not close wet markets and improve lab safety would hit Beijing

I don't know about the EU and the UK but I am highly confident that Japan is not going to do that.
    There is little love lost between Tokyo and Beijing
    It's not about love, it's about money
    Yes, there's little trade lost over lack of love.

Japan/Korea, over the WWII comfort women court cases, was a recent exception.
  • Options
    eek said:

MaxPB said:

eek said:

MaxPB said:

I am quite sure that there is enormous pressure by EU governments to keep the Airbus orders rolling.
  • Options
    eek said:

MaxPB said:

eek said:

MaxPB said:

Rolls Royce just cancelled theirs.

• Options
    kjh said:

kjh said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

kamski said:

HYUFD said:

She not he.
    :) He is definitely a he. If you are referring to a conversation of a few days ago you must have missed the end of it. The chair being a female was out of date. He was the vice chair and now the chair.
    Fair enough. As a she I had visions of a Miss Trunchbull type of monster...
  • Options
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,134
    edited April 2020
    IshmaelZ said:

geoffw said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD

Facts, eh?
    Well put.
    But there is the possibility that Covid19 mortality has to do more with age-in-years than age-relative-to-average-longevity. Just as other diseases of old age are less prevalent in countries with lower life expectancy. We don't know - but we'll be finding out before long, more's the pity.

• Options
    Nigelb said:

Foss said:

Foss said:

Looks like a Fib to me
    Tory Fibs
    @ToryFibs
    Unconfirmed:

Indeed
    Although....

(at around 48 seconds).
    Bloody Hell.

I would guess that most admitted to hospital will be given oxygen initially, since they end up there because of low blood oxygen. Doesn't tell you much more about the severity for now.
    Crucial question is do they mean he is receiving oxygen (grim) or on a ventilator (very, very grim)?
  • Options
    edited April 2020

eek said:

MaxPB said:

eek said:

MaxPB said:

I am quite sure that there is enormous pressure by EU governments to keep the Airbus orders rolling.
    Indeed, but the airlines aren't going to be playing ball. They'll all have way too many aircraft, and those they do have will be worth nothing second hand. The lease companies and the banks who underwrite them are going to be in serious trouble. Many airlines are going to go bust and re-emerge as much smaller and leaner operations - including several national carriers. BA has been described for years as a flying pension scheme, they now have more retired pilots than currently flying employed pilots.
  • Options

Shadow Ministerial post....
    Yes you are correct
  • Options
    Foss said:
    Those Sky figures are dreadful.

Burley and Boulton not cutting it with audiences
  • Options
    Foss said:
    So most of the country didn’t watch.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Nigelb said:

Foss said:

Foss said:

Looks like a Fib to me
    Tory Fibs
    @ToryFibs
    Unconfirmed:

Indeed
    Although....

(at around 48 seconds).
    Bloody Hell.

Crucial question is do they mean he is receiving oxygen (grim) or on a ventilator (very, very grim)?
    Hopefully neither
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,227
    Stocky said:

Chris said:

TGOHF666 said:

Chris said:

TGOHF666 said:

Almost certain that the UK has more actual infections per million than Austria.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,624

Foss said:
    Heaven forfend what a tragedy.

But I watched online for starters.
  • Options
    eek said:

MaxPB said:

You know, I think so many people have become addicted to their foreign trips - and they will feel after the lockdown, they DESERVE that trip to their favourite pub in Spain....

I expect things will bounceback far faster than is predicted. The modelling doesn't seem to remotely capture the "Ah, fuck it..." mentality of the many.
  • Options
    kamski said:

Stocky said:

Chris said:

TGOHF666 said:

Chris said:

TGOHF666 said:

Almost certain that the UK has more actual infections per million than Austria.
    A large section opinion will be very much against lift the lockdown whenever it comes - for a variety of reasons.
  • Options

kjh said:

kjh said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

kamski said:

HYUFD said:

She not he.
    Fair enough. As a she I had visions of a Miss Trunchbull type of monster...
    :) Comments were made at the time by people re-evaluating their image of him when they thought he was a she. I have to say it has come as a shock to me when I have found I have assumed the gender incorrectly. Just wondering why I have made assumptions when I haven't had info explicitly telling me. I like to think I don't make those judgements, but clearly I do.
  • Options

Not bad though. Close to Den and Ange back in the day.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

eek said:

MaxPB said:

eek said:

MaxPB said:

Indeed, but the airlines aren't going to be playing ball. They'll all have way too many aircraft, and those they do have will be worth nothing second hand. The lease companies and the banks who underwrite them are going to be in serious trouble. Many airlines are going to go bust and re-emerge as much smaller and leaner operations - including several national carriers. BA has been described for years as a flying pension scheme, they now have more retired pilots than currently flying pilots.
    I could easily see bailouts being made conditional on keeping Airbus orders. - either that or Airbus will need bailing out.
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    Foss said:
    Six and a half million more than Leave managed, although I note that - crucially - the Leave vote beat the BBC comfortably.

Even managed to beat the left wing "progressive" alliance of BBC1 + C4 + BBC News, in case anyone wants to start that game.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,445
    "UK’s lockdown has gone too far, claims Sweden’s leading scientist"

https://metro.co.uk/2020/04/05/uks-lockdown-gone-far-says-swedens-leading-scientist-12512763/
  • Options

eek said:

MaxPB said:

eek said:

MaxPB said:

Airbus has brought it summer holidays forward to now and talk of cut backs and economies, especially in Germany and France ongoing

• Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,572
    TGOHF666 said:

MaxPB said:

Singapore has 2 airports and Changi has 4 terminals. Closing one of the 4 hardly seems like the apocalypse.
    One passenger airport.

• Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    IshmaelZ said:

geoffw said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD

Facts, eh?
    And low life expectancy is often linked to child mortality, and not an indicator of the number of old people. And where it does give an indicator of population age, it is due to poorer health in middle age - ie more comorbidity for COVID to attack.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Foss said:

Foss said:

Looks like a Fib to me
    Tory Fibs
    @ToryFibs
    Unconfirmed:

Indeed
    Although....

(at around 48 seconds).
    Bloody Hell.

As a non-doctor - *I would assume* that oxygen would be given on the basis of reducing load on the lungs and hence the whole cardio-vascular system.
  • Options

eek said:

MaxPB said:

You know, I think so many people have become addicted to their foreign trips - and they will feel after the lockdown, they DESERVE that trip to their favourite pub in Spain....

I expect things will bounceback far faster than is predicted. The modelling doesn't seem to remotely capture the "Ah, fuck it..." mentality of the many.
    Boris's plight will have had a "shit got real" effect on that mindset - it certainly has on me (I'm a couple of years older than him). I have just had a call asking whether I mind treating my payment for a sailing expedition this summer, as payment for the same expedition in 2022. I thought that was grossly optimistic as regards both me, and the sailing.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

https://metro.co.uk/2020/04/05/uks-lockdown-gone-far-says-swedens-leading-scientist-12512763/

Are we going to have to face the spectacle of the press simultaneously demanding both a harder and softer lockdown at the same time?
  • Options

Bloody Hell.

My money is - literally - on him.

Laid 2020 exit date on Betfair at 4.5 this morning.
  • Options
    This is great news for law firms that deal in contingency based work.

• Options
    Foss said:

Andy_JS said:

Are we going to have to face the spectacle of the press simultaneously demanding both a harder and softer lockdown at the same time?
    'The press' does not often speak with one voice.
  • Options

eek said:

MaxPB said:

The big issues will be travel insurance exclusions and conditions plus higher premiums
  • Options
    Foss said:

Andy_JS said:

You will have to face the spectacle of people writing articles in which they simultaneously complain that the lock down should have been earlier, later, stricter, less strict, shouldn't have happened at all and also accuse the government of changing direction too much.
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    One counter suggestion on the efficicacy of lockdowns. If, as has been suggested, viral load is a key factor in clinical outcomes, is it possible that lockdown policies might both decrease overall case numbers, but increase death rates and even, potentially, numbers? Because lockdown reduces chances of getting the virus, but also removes much of the low risk transmission. People are getting in in hospitals or from repeated exposure from close family members. As opposed to low load transmission from fleeting acquaintances.
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,814

Does anyone know has @Andy_Cooke 's log chart of deaths per capita been updated in recent days? Or has anyone else done something comparable?

I'm afraid not. It's become more and more clear that the death rate data is almost as unreliable and unusable (in near-real-time) as the "detected cases" data.

The French figures were swamped by a huge chunk of deaths declared the other day that had occurred over the preceding weeks (and indicated that there were likely more deaths that hadn't yet been found and declared - both there and in other countries). The UK data is also being revised for previous days and weeks (eg going up significantly when deaths in care homes and in peoples' homes are declared).

I reasoned that posting graphs would be a source of false precision - we all like to pore over graphs and if the data in them is somewhere between suspect and misleading, it would be irresponsible of me to post them.
This discussion has been closed.