Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Past is Not Another Country

Comments

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Foxy said:

That's all there is my friend, so let's keep dancing...

Let's break out the booze and have a ball....if that's all there is....
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,013
    eadric said:

rcs1000 said:

IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

tyson said:

I think tonight is the first time I really do think the real economy will be unable to withstand this...it's all too fragile. It's not geared up for this kind of shock...this horrible virus is going to take the whole thing down...banks, personal finances, national finances...and everything that goes with it...there is no safe place for money....the only good thing about gold will be to wear it....

Not quite that bad. Even untreated and untreatable epidemics sweep through quite quickly.

Indeed, with the rate of spread, I think that an April peak is very possible. A lot then depends on the economic recovery, but I wouldn't expect a great overhang. Even if places go bust and staff are on the dole, the facilities will reopen under new management and re-hire.
    Having backed the US recession on BFE at 3.3 and 2.88, I have cashed in 1.12. The extra few quid isn’t worth taking the risk of a V, or double V dip with the recession missing on a technicality.
    That's very wise, because the way US GDP numbers are worked out, and a recession is defined, you could get stuffed.

So GDP that went:

Would be no recession, as there was only one quarter of negative growth, even though the economy was dramatically smaller at year end than at the start.
    A v-shaped recovery would be nice, it’s not going to happen. This plague is going to hammer confidence for years, even if it burns out by summer. Everyone will be hamstering their cheeks, in case it returns next winter.

Only a vaccine or an effective treatment will restore business and consumer spirits. Or maybe two years and herd immunity
    I think my scenario is very plausible. It's not a V. It's more like an "L". A rapid drop, followed by a slow move back upwards.

My point is that:

-15%
    +2%
    +2%
    +2%

is much, much worse than:

-1%
    -1%
    +1%
    +1%

Yet the first would not count as a recession, and the second would.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

rcs1000 said:

PBers, advice please:

I am a major Google Apps user. But I'm about to get a phone without access to the Google apps ecosystem. (Yes, you know who.)

I can hack the various apps on. But realistically, should I move my calendar, contacts and email to another service?

And if so, does anyone recommend one?

If you mean an iPhone, what's the problem? You can integrate Google calendar, contacts and email very easily.
    I thought he meant Huawei.
    You thought right.

I have a cool folding Huawei on its way to me...
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

PBers, advice please:

I am a major Google Apps user. But I'm about to get a phone without access to the Google apps ecosystem. (Yes, you know who.)

I can hack the various apps on. But realistically, should I move my calendar, contacts and email to another service?

Get a business O365 account, now comes with its own virtual exchange server.

I resisted going down the O365 route for years, but it's now genuinely the best option. $12.95 a month.
    Not a bad idea at all.

And when I do use Google devices, it'll connect fine with to the Exchange server.

Not an entirely inexpensive option, mind.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

rcs1000 said:

IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

tyson said:

I think tonight is the first time I really do think the real economy will be unable to withstand this...it's all too fragile. It's not geared up for this kind of shock...this horrible virus is going to take the whole thing down...banks, personal finances, national finances...and everything that goes with it...there is no safe place for money....the only good thing about gold will be to wear it....

Not quite that bad. Even untreated and untreatable epidemics sweep through quite quickly.

Indeed, with the rate of spread, I think that an April peak is very possible. A lot then depends on the economic recovery, but I wouldn't expect a great overhang. Even if places go bust and staff are on the dole, the facilities will reopen under new management and re-hire.
    Having backed the US recession on BFE at 3.3 and 2.88, I have cashed in 1.12. The extra few quid isn’t worth taking the risk of a V, or double V dip with the recession missing on a technicality.
    That's very wise, because the way US GDP numbers are worked out, and a recession is defined, you could get stuffed.

So GDP that went:

Would be no recession, as there was only one quarter of negative growth, even though the economy was dramatically smaller at year end than at the start.
    Why is the definition of a recession so arbitrary? Why not just set it at X% decline from peak within Y timeframe?
    Because of what recession means. It is a prolonged (two quarters) period of decline. A crash followed by a recovery immediately starting is a crash not a recession.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

IshmaelZ said:

rcs1000 said:

PBers, advice please:

If you mean an iPhone, what's the problem? You can integrate Google calendar, contacts and email very easily.
    You thought right.

Don't be showing that around Americans.....
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,708
    IshmaelZ said:

rcs1000 said:

PBers, advice please:

Get Huawai with you!
  • Options
    ABZABZ Posts: 441
    kle4 said:

Why does anyone think we might reach a peak in mid-April?

This seems unduly optimistic to me. Italy's experience should be a warning that even with the current restrictions in place the it may not be possible to slow the growth of Covid-19 cases across the UK for many weeks to come.

It is optimistic, clearly, but if one assumed a week of partial voluntary lockdown, then, say, 3 weeks of full lockdown, and a peak of mid-April is not a huge amount out whilst seeming reasonable. But I'd expect April to be a write off, frankly.
    I also expect April and most of May to be a write off (i.e., we will be in the present state for 6-8 weeks). But Italy has clearly slowed the growth of Covid-19 cases from exponential to linear over the past week, so restrictions do have an effect. That has taken 2 and a half weeks since they locked down. Now, it's true they have not seen a rapid decline yet (one can speculate as to why) but one would expect that in the next week or so. Hence, I think a peak of new cases by mid-April is not optimistic but, rather, realistic, given what we can see in other countries.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,434
    edited March 2020

Charles said:

ABZ said:

rcs1000 said:

Just to confirm: a friend's wedding is essential travel, right?

Afraid not... will only be in case of genuine emergency I fear...
    A friend's wedding might be a genuine emergency though...
    If wedding parties are limited to five people, you'd be lucky to get in anyway.
    Too late to fix the broken blockquotes (which are now fixed). I do not understand how vanilla screws them up.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610
    rcs1000 said:

IshmaelZ said:

rcs1000 said:

PBers, advice please:

You thought right.

I've used the Samsung flip phone, it's very cool. Not sure about the Huawei one. The previous version was a pile of shite though.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    eadric said:

rcs1000 said:

eadric said:

rcs1000 said:

IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

tyson said:

So GDP that went:

A v-shaped recovery would be nice, it’s not going to happen. This plague is going to hammer confidence for years, even if it burns out by summer. Everyone will be hamstering their cheeks, in case it returns next winter.

Only a vaccine or an effective treatment will restore business and consumer spirits. Or maybe two years and herd immunity
    I think my scenario is very plausible. It's not a V. It's more like an "L". A rapid drop, followed by a slow move back upwards.

My point is that:

-15%
    +2%
    +2%
    +2%

-1%
    -1%
    +1%
    +1%

Second quarter growth is a bold prediction. Most of America is likely to peak in mid May-June
    Has America had first quarter decline? If there was any growth in the first quarter then a second quarter collapse followed by a third quarter recovery is quite possible.
  • Options
    BantermanBanterman Posts: 287
    edited March 2020
    Coughed all day and slept most of the time. Could just be man flu, but the constant thought is, is the evil CV19.

Not nice.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,909
    rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

PBers, advice please:

Get a business O365 account, now comes with its own virtual exchange server.

I resisted going down the O365 route for years, but it's now genuinely the best option. $12.95 a month.
    Not a bad idea at all.

And when I do use Google devices, it'll connect fine with to the Exchange server.

Not an entirely inexpensive option, mind.
    You can get just the cloud side, no locally installed Office apps so use the inbuilt clients if they're any good, for $5 a month.

DM me if you need an IT director ;)
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,473
    Banterman said:

Coughed all day and slept most of the time. Could just be man flu, but the constant thought is, is the evil CV19.

Not nice.

Sorry to hear that. Glad you've been getting some shut eye.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,714
    edited March 2020
    This fits with what we've heard from various experts.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,345
    Andy_JS said:

HYUFD said:

Note both SARs and Covid 19 originated in China, the Chinese government urgently needs to improve the sanitation of its food production and lab safety

This is from February 2017:

"How China can stop the world's next pandemic
    .....................................................................................
    But every year, so-called wet markets reopen and both new and known viruses reemerge."

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/opinion/2017/02/27/commentary/world-commentary/china-can-stop-worlds-next-pandemic/#.Xn5wN_zAPMI
    https://www.businessinsider.com/china-bans-wildlife-trade-consumption-coronavirus-2020-2?r=US&IR=T
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,010
    TOPPING said:

You are a far more adept cyclist than I am. I did actually ask the shop a couple of weeks ago about an inner tube but, my bike being ancient and shit, and their bikes being fancy and state of the art, they didn't have the right one. They gave absolutely no hint that they were at all interested in ordering one. But that was then. This is now!

This is like reading a discussion on cycling from the 70s. Go tubeless...
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    A very different tone this time
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850
    Andy_JS said:

This fits with what we've heard from various experts.
    The mood music seems to be an earlier and smaller peak than forecast a few weeks ago.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,299

Charles said:

ABZ said:

rcs1000 said:

Just to confirm: a friend's wedding is essential travel, right?

Afraid not... will only be in case of genuine emergency I fear...
    A friend's wedding might be a genuine emergency though...
    If wedding parties are limited to five people, you'd be lucky to get in anyway.
    Too late to fix the broken blockquotes (which are now fixed). I do not understand how vanilla screws them up.
    It doubles one of the close blockquotes up the thread. The fix is to find the duplicates close quotes and delete one of them.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,101
    eadric said:

Banterman said:

Not nice.

Good luck!

This is a very vivid personal account of the Bug. Compare/contrast

https://twitter.com/shirazmaher/status/1243554346396246018?s=21

For balance, I just read an account by a 40-something woman who got it (tested poz) along with most of her young family, and for them it was mostly a mild cold, or just a passing headache
    And for maybe half of the infected its no symptoms at all:

In China, it is estimated that a third of all positive cases show no symptoms, according to classified Chinese government data seen by the South China Morning Post.

On the Diamond Princess, the cruise ship that docked in Yokohama, about half of the more than 600 positive cases found onboard were found to have no symptoms.

A similar proportion of asymptomatic cases has been reported in Iceland, which says it is testing a higher proportion of citizens than anywhere else in the world.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-52015486
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,712
    The HSJ has plotted out by NHS Trust the COVID19 fatalities for England.

https://www.hsj.co.uk/news/coronavirus-deaths-mapped-60-trusts-report-fatality/7027212.article

Interesting to see that the 168 new ones recorded in the 24 hours to 1700 yesterday, include some as far back as the 19th. Presumably post mortem reporting of swab results. Not quite sure what this means in terms of plotting the graph.

Also worth noting these are hospital deaths, so not including those in care homes etc.
  • Options
    Banterman said:

Not nice.

hope it clears up soon
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,933
    edited March 2020
    eadric said:

Banterman said:

Not nice.

Good luck!

For balance, I just read an account by a 40-something woman who got it (tested poz) along with most of her young family, and for them it was mostly a mild cold, or just a passing headache
    Another who thinks the flu is nothing to worry about. Funny, 6 weeks ago and anyone who called a cold ‘the flu’ was told in no uncertain terms how dangerous flu was.

• Options
    Foxy said:

https://www.hsj.co.uk/news/coronavirus-deaths-mapped-60-trusts-report-fatality/7027212.article

Interesting to see that the 168 new ones recorded in the 24 hours to 1700 yesterday, include some as far back as the 19th. Presumably post mortem reporting of swab results. Not quite sure what this means in terms of plotting the graph.

Also worth noting these are hospital deaths, so not including those in care homes etc.

Do those ever get included Foxy?
  • Options
    Poor effort to just wave a picture. He should have had a nice, shiny model plane.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,101
    eadric said:

eadric said:

Banterman said:

Not nice.

Good luck!

In China, it is estimated that a third of all positive cases show no symptoms, according to classified Chinese government data seen by the South China Morning Post.

On the Diamond Princess, the cruise ship that docked in Yokohama, about half of the more than 600 positive cases found onboard were found to have no symptoms.

A similar proportion of asymptomatic cases has been reported in Iceland, which says it is testing a higher proportion of citizens than anywhere else in the world.

Yes. It’s clear that for some this disease is nothing to worry about.

And yet for others (not all old, or morbidly obese) it’s a swift and brutal killer.

The randomness adds to the terror, I think. If you were designing a bug for a movie, you would make it do this.
    Is obesity much of a factor among victims ?
  • Options

Poor effort to just wave a picture. He should have had a nice, shiny model plane.
    That plane is Boeing's "Dreamlifter", a modified 747 they use to transport parts for the 787. What's Trump saying they're going to be doing with it?
  • Options

eadric said:

rcs1000 said:

eadric said:

rcs1000 said:

IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

tyson said:

So GDP that went:

My point is that:

-15%
    +2%
    +2%
    +2%

-1%
    -1%
    +1%
    +1%

Second quarter growth is a bold prediction. Most of America is likely to peak in mid May-June
    Has America had first quarter decline? If there was any growth in the first quarter then a second quarter collapse followed by a third quarter recovery is quite possible.
    Surely the March decline must be larger than any growth in Jan/Feb?
  • Options
    Floater said:

Foxy said:

Do those ever get included Foxy?
    I don't think they do.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

That plane is Boeing's "Dreamlifter", a modified 747 they use to transport parts for the 787. What's Trump saying they're going to be doing with it?
    He said nothing. Just a Boeing ad.
  • Options

eadric said:

eadric said:

Banterman said:

Not nice.

Good luck!

And yet for others (not all old, or morbidly obese) it’s a swift and brutal killer.

The randomness adds to the terror, I think. If you were designing a bug for a movie, you would make it do this.
    Not much data to know yet, although it seemed like there was an enrichment amongst serious clinical obesity and bad prognosis (it was in the breakdown of fatalities that was provided a few days ago). Not maybe surprising as respiratory disorders are worse in those who are overweight. But @Foxy would be much better placed to comment than me!!
  • Options
    eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

Banterman said:

Not nice.

Good luck!

I believe it’s a real issue. Foxy might know more
    Yes, obesity is an issue
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,761
    And he's back to the stock market......
  • Options
    ABZ said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

Banterman said:

Not nice.

Good luck!

Not much data to know yet, although it seemed like there was an enrichment amongst serious clinical obesity and bad prognosis (it was in the breakdown of fatalities that was provided a few days ago). Not maybe surprising as respiratory disorders are worse in those who are overweight. But @Foxy would be much better placed to comment than me!!
    I couldn't reply from direct experience, but that is what I have seen in various reports.
  • Options
    edited March 2020

Sandpit said:

Ah okay, so just a generic 'photo of a plane with Boeing written on the side', that happens to be a very specific plane with a very specific use.

He'd have been better off with a photo of the 747 that says USA down the side!
  • Options
    Forget the fucking stock market Trump!!!
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Remarkable the UK debt is now AA- rated. It was AAA under Labour. Despite promising to protect it, we have come a long way under this government. And not in a good way. How much further have we yet to fall?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,082
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Ah okay, so just a generic 'photo of a plane with Boeing written on the side', that happens to be a very specific plane with a very specific use.

He said Boeing are letting them use it to move "product" around the USA.
  • Options

Which is down again today.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Remarkable the UK debt is now AA- rated. It was AAA under Labour. Despite promising to protect it, we have come a long way under this government. And not in a good way. How much further have we yet to fall?

Thats right Jon - keep trying to make party political points

Slow hand clap
  • Options
    edited March 2020

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Very large and light weight "product", obviously. A 'normal' 747 plane carries double the cargo weight and uses half as much fuel as that monstrosity.
  • Options

Which is down again today.
    Of course he's devious, but he looks a lot fitter than yesterday.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

We are only one decade into recovering from Gordon Brown and his 33% budget deficit. It's probably going to take at least another.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,816
    edited March 2020
    Good article, as ever. They'd toned it down when I frequented Italian buses, but they still had the 'disabili di guerra' seats in the late 1990s. I did wonder whether that was rather a disservice to other disabled people whose needs were equal. I rode the Belfast buses as well during that period, again the sheer quantity of disabled seats was a very obvious marker of where you were.

It seems to me we were a little complacent with SARS, the vaccine efforts were mothballed when there were few patients, no one thought it worthwhile to develop vaccines against the common or defeated coronas, no one kept something up their sleeve just in case. For flu, the possible variants are known, educated guesses are made, and vaccine turnarounds are much less. We need much better prior art in the bank for each of the most credible pandemic threats: I'll not prejudge which diseases best fit that description.

Even with that I reckon we'd have still been sitting at home now, but with much more confidence that solutions were around the corner and that the second wave was covered.
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050
    Jonathan said:

Comrade...I'm worried about the meltdown and in a few months...it'll be Mad Max Fury Road...but with loads more people......and colder
  • Options
    edited March 2020

eadric said:

Banterman said:

Not nice.

Good luck!

When they've done the research, it'll be interesting to know why so many people experience either no or mild symptoms with Covid-19, and whether that knowledge can be used to help people during future coronavirus outbreaks.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,266
    A thought from Trump's press session.

He may talk bollx, go off into weird details about something he has done himself, and spend most of his time talking about himself, but...

he seems to remember detail - names of hospitals, governors etc etc.

Will Biden be able to do this in the debates?

• Options
    Sandpit said:

They are going to lift all the virus in the US back to China.....
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,748
    rcs1000 said:

PBers, advice please:

Google won't allow its payment system onto a phone that it hasn't authorised. Depending on what you want to do with the phone, this can be limiting.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    Sandpit said:

Very large and light weight "product", obviously. A 'normal' 747 plane carries double the cargo weight and uses half as much fuel as that monstrosity.

I was just thinking what's wrong with ordinary aircraft. It looks like some stunt, maybe Trump saw something on the Discovery Channel. "Tell Boeing to send me the big plane".
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    eadric said:

Jonathan said:

Dude, we’re in a fucking plague. The entire world is being downrated. Humanity is BBB-. Who cares.
    The ability of governments to borrow is important at the moment.
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050

He may talk bollx, go off into weird details about something he has done himself, and spend most of his time talking about himself, but...

He has that stuff written down in a big black marker

• Options
    "nobody cares about anything" than the virus: Trump
  • Options
    oh Spain

Spain 65,719 +7,933 5,138 +773
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,980
    Jonathan said:

eadric said:

Jonathan said:

Dude, we’re in a fucking plague. The entire world is being downrated. Humanity is BBB-. Who cares.
    Is it? The BoE has the printing presses running at full speed.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    tyson said:

Jonathan said:

Comrade...I'm worried about the meltdown and in a few months...it'll be Mad Max Fury Road...but with loads more people......and colder
    I really dont think so. I dont think either of us could get away with the costume of the Lord Humungous.

https://youtu.be/i2gVXd7FzhQ

• Options

Sandpit said:

They are going to lift all the virus in the US back to China.....
    The're going to need a bigger plane......
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    Jonathan said:

eadric said:

Jonathan said:

20 year gilts are 0.687 as I write. The square root of bugger all.
  • Options
    Trump railing back on opening by Easter.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,827
    Foxy said:

tyson said:

Jonathan said:

I really dont think so. I dont think either of us could get away with the costume of the Lord Humungous.

https://youtu.be/i2gVXd7FzhQ

Gotta love those Mad Max names. Who could forget Rictus Erectus?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,980
    welshowl said:

Jonathan said:

eadric said:

Jonathan said:

20 year gilts are 0.687 as I write. The square root of bugger all.
    Ah, so that's what bugger all is equal to... 0.471969.

My coat?
  • Options
    tyson said:

He has that stuff written down in a big black marker

He is going to be really hard to beat.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Floater said:

oh Spain

The first death in Spain was on 3rd March and in the UK just two days later on 5th March. Yet Spain is now on 5,138 compared to 773 in the UK. (Spain was on 3,647 two days ago).

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/spain/
    https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/uk/
  • Options
    How have the US ramped up their testing to 65k test per day when our are still sub 10k ?
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,761
    "I was presiding over the most successful economy in the history of the world".....
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited March 2020

How have the US ramped up their testing to 65k test per day when our are still sub 10k ?

They already had huge numbers of PCR machines and minor fact they are 6 times the size of the UK.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,779

Is it because their population is 5-6 times the size of ours?
  • Options
    O/T

According to this document 80% of the victims of the 2009 flu epidemic were under the age of 65. The global death toll was estimated to be 284,000.

http://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2012/06/cdc-estimate-global-h1n1-pandemic-deaths-284000
  • Options

"I was presiding over the most successful economy in the history of the world".....

... until the 21st century's Great Depression.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,828
    edited March 2020
    Jonathan said:

Surely at the end of this the whole world will just have to agree to a great big debt write off?

Not sure how that works out but I can't see how all of this debt will actually be paid back at the end of this?
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,828
    Andy_JS said:

O/T

According to this document 80% of the victims of the 2009 flu epidemic were under the age of 65. The global death toll was estimated to be 284,000.

http://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2012/06/cdc-estimate-global-h1n1-pandemic-deaths-284000

Yeah because it was H1N1 (Spanish Flu in 1918 was H1N1 and so were the subsequent versions of it in 1957 and 1968) wasn't there a theory that older people had some immunity where-as younger people tended to get it much worse (and, weirdly, pregnant women)
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    I see large parts of the media are basically saying serves you right Boris and Hancock for getting it, you didn't practice what you preach.
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,845
    GIN1138 said:

Jonathan said:

Surely at the end of this the whole world will just have to agree to a great big debt write off?

Not sure how that works out but I can't see how all of this debt will actually be paid back at the end of this?
    It is odd that a left winger where the normal response to "How is it going to be paid for" is the government can just print money is suddenly concerned about the uk credit rating
  • Options
    Pro_Rata said:

When I met you
    When I grabbed your pussy.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,816
    GIN1138 said:

Andy_JS said:

O/T

Yeah because it was H1N1 (Spanish Flu in 1918 was H1N1 and so were the subsequent versions of it in 1957 and 1968) wasn't there a theory that older people had some immunity where-as younger people tended to get it much worse (and, weirdly, pregnant women)
    I think even with Spanish flu, it barely touched anyone over 70 because there was a prior immunity event in the mid C19th
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    this is interesting:

"There are even records of a significant and unusual increase in people hospitalised in Lombardy for flu and pneumonia between October and December last year"

https://www.spiked-online.com/2020/03/27/italys-lockdown-has-been-a-recipe-for-disaster/
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,345
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

"At 65,000 cubic feet the Dreamlifter can hold three times the volume of a 747-400F freighter."
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,178

They already had huge numbers of PCR machines and minor fact they are 6 times the size of the UK.
    x5

Pedantic point, but where else can I indulge..
  • Options
    "China pay 25% interest on goods they bring in, thanks to the tariffs I put in place."

Genius, very stable.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Floater said:

oh Spain

The first death in Spain was on 3rd March and in the UK just two days later on 5th March. Yet Spain is now on 5,138 compared to 773 in the UK. (Spain was on 3,647 two days ago).

On the plus side, while awfully large, the number of new cases in Spain today is similar (actually a little less) than yesterday and the hint from the evening numbers is that a similar pattern will be seen tomorrow, perhaps suggesting that the number of new cases is starting to stabilise.

Interestingly, a similar pattern was seen in Italy - 11 days after they started the lockdown, the number of new cases stopped growing and stablised. Since then, they have plateaued for a week and the hint from the ministers / authorities (plus the early figures) is that they might start to decline over the next few days.

If this is indeed a similar pattern to other countries, we would expect numbers in France to stablise early next week and in the UK a week from today. Still predictions, but we will know better in a few days and then have a better idea of what's going to happen.
  • Options

Strangely that press conference was the most impressive I have yet heard from Trump. Random streams of thoughts, barbs and nonsense but it somehow just about worked for me this time.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,023

I think we could tell by late Jan that it was a potential deadly pandemic, although I’m not sure what the government might have done at that point.

What *is* true is that Boris in the early weeks (ie right into early March) have the impression there was nothing to worry about, even handshaking was fine.

Anyway, can’t be arsed carping.
    More interested in how we beat this bitch.

Maybe started ordering gear
  • Options
    edited March 2020

x5

Pedantic point, but where else can I indulge..
    Depends how many illegals you think there are in America...just joking, yes its x5.
  • Options
    Branson has asked for a bailout. I really hope the government tells him where to go. He has £4bn in the bank, he can put his own money in.
  • Options
    Wow, this is a weird bug.

I was well enough to do some light gardening today, have a drive through swab and Zoom a Church Committee meeting. Feeling so fine that I was wondering if it was my imagination.

Then suddenly a tight chest, light headed and a real effort to breath. O2 sats remaining good, but scary.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,023
    tyson said:

you been taken over by eadric
  • Options
    ABZ said:

Andy_JS said:

Floater said:

oh Spain

On the plus side, while awfully large, the number of new cases in Spain today is similar (actually a little less) than yesterday and the hint from the evening numbers is that a similar pattern will be seen tomorrow, perhaps suggesting that the number of new cases is starting to stabilise.

Interestingly, a similar pattern was seen in Italy - 11 days after they started the lockdown, the number of new cases stopped growing and stablised. Since then, they have plateaued for a week and the hint from the ministers / authorities (plus the early figures) is that they might start to decline over the next few days.

If this is indeed a similar pattern to other countries, we would expect numbers in France to stablise early next week and in the UK a week from today. Still predictions, but we will know better in a few days and then have a better idea of what's going to happen.
    Surely these numbers arent awfully large if we are expecting of the order of 20k deaths with a shortish peak period (or even multiple short peaks). They are about whats expected to get to what people would have considered a low total a couple of weeks ago?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

I was well enough to do some light gardening today, have a drive through swab and Zoom a Church Committee meeting. Feeling so fine that I was wondering if it was my imagination.

Then suddenly a tight chest, light headed and a real effort to breath. O2 sats remaining good, but scary.

Gosh. Sorry to hear that. Hope the episode passes soon and that you continue recovering.
  • Options
    edited March 2020

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

"At 65,000 cubic feet the Dreamlifter can hold three times the volume of a 747-400F freighter."
    But is only holds about 60 tonnes of cargo when full of fuel, half that of a normal 747. And the cargo bay isn't pressurised.

Call it 65 tonnes to make the maths easier, what do you know that weighs only one tonne per thousand cubic feet (c.10kg/mˆ3), that might need urgently transporting?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

I had similae issues on the worst days. Sudden shortness of breath caused by absolutely nothing. General light headedness and extreme tiredness. I would suddenly become very sleepy and not wake up for 3 or 4 hours. My body would ache when I did wake up. It was terrible.
This discussion has been closed.