Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » New Ipsos MORI polling finds that we’re struggling to remain p

Comments

• Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,316
    edited March 2020
    In approx 48 hours, the US should be leading the Coronavirus league table (for total number of cases).

US is currently:

- 11,000 behind Italy and catching up at approx 5,000 per day

- 18,000 behind China and catching up at approx 10,000 per day
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,798
    Charles said:

RobD said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

All those screaming at Boris for the original strategy...Chief modelling egg-head thought it was good idea,

https://twitter.com/Smyth_Chris/status/1242761739332190209?s=20

I don't think this is correct. Prof Ferguson produced the paper that convinced the government to change its policy. Ferguson does appear to have been sceptical earlier that containment policies would actually reduce the infection rate and that may have influenced government policy. He seems to have revised his mortality estimates downwards. I doubt know whether that's because the containment methods are effective or due to a better understanding of the epidemic after a couple of weeks.
    Incidentally the information about the Italian mortality and serious illness rates that informed Ferguson's paper was available earlier to the UK government at the EU COVID19 information sharing meeting, but the government wasn't aware of it due to it boycotting that meeting for reasons of Brexit ideology.
    Is there a source for the claim that this information was only shared at this meeting, and not more widely? Seems a bit strange to keep information like this secret.
    I'm also intrigued that such a fan of the EU is implicating our European friends and partners in the death of a large number of British citizens.
    Don't worry, Charles, I said no such thing.
  • Options
    TGOHF666TGOHF666 Posts: 2,052
    Floater said:

TGOHF666 said:

Andy_JS said:

"Europe's odd man out: Sweden refuses to bring in lockdowns despite 2,272 infections, keeps bars open and even encourages people to go out
    Primary schools, restaurants and bars open encouraging people to go outside"

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8151111/Swedish-people-disregarding-Covid-19-lockdown-going-pint.html

They probably have this right.

It's not really kicked off north of the Alps.
    Sure about that?
    Latitudes
    Wuhan 30.6
    Madrid 40.4
    New York 40.7
    Milan 45.4

Munich 48
    London 51
    Stockholm 59

Maybe it's a southern disease ?

• Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,900
    We will overtake S Korea this week unless England reporting bloke continues failing to report like today
  • Options
    Bill Gates says we can’t restart the economy soon and simply “ignore that pile of bodies over in the corner”
  • Options
    TGOHF666 said:

Floater said:

TGOHF666 said:

Andy_JS said:

"Europe's odd man out: Sweden refuses to bring in lockdowns despite 2,272 infections, keeps bars open and even encourages people to go out

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8151111/Swedish-people-disregarding-Covid-19-lockdown-going-pint.html

Sure about that?
    Latitudes
    Wuhan 30.6
    Madrid 40.4
    New York 40.7
    Milan 45.4

Munich 48
    London 51
    Stockholm 59

So I am safe in Chesterfield but we can write off everyone South of Watford?

Or do i need to relocate to Wick?
  • Options

TGOHF666 said:

Floater said:

TGOHF666 said:

Andy_JS said:

Sure about that?
    Latitudes
    Wuhan 30.6
    Madrid 40.4
    New York 40.7
    Milan 45.4

Munich 48
    London 51
    Stockholm 59

So I am safe in Chesterfield but we can write off everyone South of Watford?

Or do i need to relocate to Wick?
    Iceland had a lot of cases because of skiers holidaying in Austria - not many deaths ? 0 ?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,402
    MikeL said:

Beth Rigby (Sky News) in a packaged report (ie not said off the cuff) just said there are 1.7 million self-employed people in the UK.

Basic common sense would suggest that figure has to be too low - just checked and per ONS the figure is actually 5.03 million.

So she's got the most simple, basic information wrong about the very question she asked the PM today.

It's absolutely hopeless - but it's a familiar story - anything requiring any attention to detail and / or involving numbers and the chances are even supposedly reputable people in high profile positions will get it wrong.

One of the things that has come out of this crisis loud and clear is the innumeracy of most of our politicians and pretty much all of our media. One thing Dominic Cummings is right about is the essential importance of maths to good decision making in the modern world.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144
    You could go to Wick.

Whether, once they heard your accent, you can get them to sell you provisions - that is another matter......
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,833

JonathanD said:

DavidL said:

Have to say before this I didn’t rate Hancock at all but he has done really well.
    Pandemic planning should be something the NHS is very good at and part of their routine functions. Also they have had 2 months notice of the potential for this to start spreading here.

If anything I am surprised at how slow they are in dealing with some of the basics - PPE and ramping up the testing rate in particular. Is it lack of domestic suppliers that is the problem. Definitely something for the Public Inquiry to look at.
    It said that the NHS Pandemic Plan contained no mention of needing more Ventilators.

Whoever was responsible for that oversight ought not to go near a future planning exercise imo
    My Trust's Pandemic Flu Plan has quite a large section on Level 3 ICU surge capacity (level 3 is ventilation) envisioning 100% expansion.

The problem is that this is not the flu, it is a much more prolonged need for ventilation for ARDS, typically for weeks..

Similarly, PPE supplies are gloves, surgical masks, and aprons, but not the full respiratory kit that we see in use in China etc. We have plenty of the former, but need the latter.
  • Options

Daily Mail:

"Coronavirus crisis could cause a loneliness epidemic in older adults: Study shows cutting off over-50s from transport, retail and leisure facilities increases feelings of isolation and depression"

No shit Sherlock...

I am hoping to set up a virtual pub (despite being off the booze) with some of my friends using Zoom in the next few days. I am also attending a board meeting using it tomorrow. If it works satisfactorily it has crossed my mind that a virtual meeting of posters might be an attractive idea, especially for those self isolating.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

In line with its reputation as the "Start-Up Nation", Israel's high-tech sector is coming up with new applications to help in the fight against Covid-19.

From this week, a start-up called Vocalis Health is working with hospitals and the defence ministry to sample the voices of people who have tested positive - through a mobile app - to see if these samples show a "vocal fingerprint" that would help detect the virus in others. Artificial intelligence will be used to analyse the samples.

Another new app that has come online, called "The Shield" ("Hamagen" in Hebrew), can instantly tell people if they have crossed paths with someone known to have contracted the coronavirus. It was launched by the health ministry and takes location data from the user's phone to compare it to data on the known movements of confirmed cases in the two weeks before their diagnosis. If there is an overlap, the user is told and asked if they want to report their exposure.

The ministry promises that information shared is secure. But computer-privacy experts warn that the terms of use for the Shield app are far-reaching and allow the sharing of information with "the proper authorities".

Israel’s Shin Bet internal security service was controversially instructed to track the phones of infected people and send messages to those who had been in contact with them, ordering them to self-quarantine.

-------

Would we accept that here?

I'd be quite nervous if Shin Bet sent me a message.

I struggle with them being used as the security team at my daughter's school...
  • Options
    MikeL said:

In approx 48 hours, the US should be leading the Coronavirus league table (for total number of cases).

US is currently:

There is a hell of a lot of death in 64k recorded cases to date. I find Trump's present ratings genuinely perverse.
  • Options

You could go to Wick.

Whether, once they heard your accent, you can get them to sell you provisions - that is another matter......

I am virtually a local up there been about 10 times

My Dad was a railway man and i used to get free passes on BR until I left University. Would have been a waste to go anywhere nearer than Wick
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,072
    TGOHF666 said:

Floater said:

TGOHF666 said:

Andy_JS said:

Sure about that?
    Latitudes
    Wuhan 30.6
    Madrid 40.4
    New York 40.7
    Milan 45.4

Munich 48
    London 51
    Stockholm 59

Seattle is pretty cold and miserable at this time of year...
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

TGOHF666 said:

Floater said:

TGOHF666 said:

Andy_JS said:

Sure about that?
    Latitudes
    Wuhan 30.6
    Madrid 40.4
    New York 40.7
    Milan 45.4

Munich 48
    London 51
    Stockholm 59

But latitude of only 47.6 - it's further south than Paris..
  • Options
    TGOHF666 said:

rcs1000 said:

TGOHF666 said:

Floater said:

TGOHF666 said:

Andy_JS said:

Sure about that?
    Latitudes
    Wuhan 30.6
    Madrid 40.4
    New York 40.7
    Milan 45.4

Munich 48
    London 51
    Stockholm 59

Banff
  • Options
    DavidL said:

MikeL said:

US is currently:

There is a hell of a lot of death in 64k recorded cases to date. I find Trump's present ratings genuinely perverse.
    The recorded cases stat depends on test capabilities.

Should do a deaths / capita above average or something.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    TGOHF666 said:

Floater said:

TGOHF666 said:

Andy_JS said:

Sure about that?
    Latitudes
    Wuhan 30.6
    Madrid 40.4
    New York 40.7
    Milan 45.4

Munich 48
    London 51
    Stockholm 59

Germany 37,323 +4,332 206 +47
    France 25,233 +2,929 1,331 +231

Do they not count?

How about Holland whose numbers are less but whose health system is barely coping?

• Options

You could go to Wick.

My Dad was a railway man and i used to get free passes on BR until I left University. Would have been a waste to go anywhere nearer than Wick
    I did a 4 day proof up there once. That was definitely enough. The countryside round about is a weird palette of shades from browny green to greeny brown, almost as if all the colour has been washed out of it.
  • Options
    TGOHF666 said:

DavidL said:

MikeL said:

US is currently:

This site has added a deaths per 1m population in last few days

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
  • Options
    TGOHF666 said:

DavidL said:

MikeL said:

US is currently:

You can get most of those figures on the worldometer site but at the moment they have 894 deaths for 64k cases which is pretty high and suggests a fair bit of unfound infection.
  • Options
    New Betfair market - Starmer 1st round % vote.

Nothing offered yet.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,459

You could go to Wick.

Just two more trains I need to do the "normal" weekday National Rail network:

Inverness to Kyle of Lochalsh
    Inverness to Thurso and Wick
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,011
    "How coronavirus took just weeks to overwhelm Spain

In 18 days a few hundred cases escalated to more fatalities than China"

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/25/how-spain-sat-on-its-hands-as-coronavirus-took-hold
  • Options

TGOHF666 said:

DavidL said:

MikeL said:

US is currently:

That's useful. The number of cases statistic isn't so useful now, because it depends on how many tests have been performed.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

New Betfair market - Starmer 1st round % vote.

Nothing offered yet.

Can't see him getting much less than 60% of the vote to be honest. Its long past time for Labour to become a serious party again.
  • Options
    This level of grandiosity and self-orientation, at this moment, is quite astonishing,

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1242905328209080331
  • Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688
    DavidL said:

MikeL said:

Beth Rigby (Sky News) in a packaged report (ie not said off the cuff) just said there are 1.7 million self-employed people in the UK.

Basic common sense would suggest that figure has to be too low - just checked and per ONS the figure is actually 5.03 million.

So she's got the most simple, basic information wrong about the very question she asked the PM today.

It's absolutely hopeless - but it's a familiar story - anything requiring any attention to detail and / or involving numbers and the chances are even supposedly reputable people in high profile positions will get it wrong.

One of the things that has come out of this crisis loud and clear is the innumeracy of most of our politicians and pretty much all of our media. One thing Dominic Cummings is right about is the essential importance of maths to good decision making in the modern world.
    What a lot of rubbish. Following 'maths' nearly sent this country into a total disaster with that nonsense 'herd immunity.'

We need common sense and accountability. We need multi-disciplinary approaches. And above all in a crisis we need visionaries: the kind of leaders who think fast and outside the box.

Here's an interesting factoid for y'all. Military analysis after the Falklands War showed that the officers and senior NCO's who were most successful were those who went off-piste. They thought outside the box. They did things that weren't in the manuals. Studies found that they were strongly 'N' on the Myers-Briggs Personality tests i.e. intuitive people.

A nice little example was when one enterprising NCO took the '66 anti-tank launcher and used it in an attack on an Argentinian trench. It proved a breakthrough moment.

• Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688
    And Cummings is a complete dick who needs to be given his marching orders. Fast. Before more lives are lost.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,436

DavidL said:

MikeL said:

What a lot of rubbish. Following 'maths' nearly sent this country into a total disaster with that nonsense 'herd immunity.'

We need common sense and accountability. We need multi-disciplinary approaches. And above all in a crisis we need visionaries: the kind of leaders who think fast and outside the box.

Here's an interesting factoid for y'all. Military analysis after the Falklands War showed that the officers and senior NCO's who were most successful were those who went off-piste. They thought outside the box. They did things that weren't in the manuals. Studies found that they were strongly 'N' on the Myers-Briggs Personality tests i.e. intuitive people.

A nice little example was when one enterprising NCO took the '66 anti-tank launcher and used it in an attack on an Argentinian trench. It proved a breakthrough moment.

"What a lot of rubbish. Following 'maths' nearly sent this country into a total disaster with that nonsense 'herd immunity.'"

It is not nonsense, it is science. The communication may have been shit but the science seems solid.
  • Options
    Some of the articles people are writing as a result of the crisis are slightly ridiculous, like this one.

https://unherd.com/2020/03/covid-19-is-the-nail-in-the-coffin-for-traditional-funerals/
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,436

This level of grandiosity and self-orientation, at this moment, is quite astonishing,

Every day, his illness gets worse. I feel for Americans.
  • Options

You could go to Wick.

Just two more trains I need to do the "normal" weekday National Rail network:

Inverness to Kyle of Lochalsh
    Inverness to Thurso and Wick
    You are in for a treat the Highland Line is my favorite.

K of L also pretty good.

I guess the fact Malaig has steam puts that right up there but for pure length beauty and seclusion Highland line has it. My advice would be stay in Wick overnight rather than Thurso
  • Options

And Cummings is a complete dick who needs to be given his marching orders. Fast. Before more lives are lost.

I'm pretty sure more lives will be lost either way
  • Options
    Whats your favorite Sunil I also like Pwelli
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,593

DavidL said:

MikeL said:

"What a lot of rubbish. Following 'maths' nearly sent this country into a total disaster with that nonsense 'herd immunity.'"

It is not nonsense, it is science. The communication may have been shit but the science seems solid.
    The ironic bit is that the "thinking outside the box thing" is exactly what Cummings wants.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

TGOHF666 said:

DavidL said:

MikeL said:

US is currently:

That's useful. The number of cases statistic isn't so useful now, because it depends on how many tests have been performed.
    Yep we are already 3 times China S Korea and Germany and twice the USA but can see them overtaking us if Trump persists with his returning to normal by Easter madness.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,227
    This evening I confess to feeling really quite scared. I can do nothing to help my family and, if what I am hearing from those close to government is correct, will have to be in self-isolation for the majority of this year.

To cap it all work on the home we were meant to be moving to in June has now ceased so in a few weeks when our rental comes to an end we will be homeless unless we can extend or find another long-term rental nearby.

What state will we all be in when this is over?

Sorry for the wobble. I shall be a bit more positive after a good night’s sleep I dare say.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,847
    TGOHF666 said:

DavidL said:

MikeL said:

US is currently:

Worldometer has that (rightmost column)

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,393
    edited March 2020

You could go to Wick.

My wife spent the wartime there

And when I went to sea for a week on a seine net fishing boat in the early seventies (from Lossiemouth) and were halfway across the north sea to Norway we had to steer for Wick as a safe haven in a sudden storm and high seas
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

This evening I confess to feeling really quite scared. I can do nothing to help my family and, if what I am hearing from those close to government is correct, will have to be in self-isolation for the majority of this year.

To cap it all work on the home we were meant to be moving to in June has now ceased so in a few weeks when our rental comes to an end we will be homeless unless we can extend or find another long-term rental nearby.

Sorry for the wobble. I shall be a bit more positive after a good night’s sleep I dare say.

Fingers-crossed you find a way through @Cyclefree.

Can you extend - I presume the landlord is not going to find it easy to get another tenant in in current circumstances?
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited March 2020
  • Options
    There's another scam doing the rounds saying that "HMG are going to pay everyone £483 - click here to claim your COVID-19 Releive" (sic) (and sick!)
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,051
    edited March 2020
    Cyclefree said:

My wobbles are first thing in the morning.....I wake up from a lovely sleep to this world....

And my real anger is against those embarrassing, sycophantic posters here who cheerlead Boris and co to the rafters whilst my family are working in Covid wards unprotected.....

And you know who you are....

• Options
    It was only a matter of time before the scammers tried to make money in this way, by guessing some people would be feeling guilty for going out more than once, and hoping some of them are frightened into paying.
  • Options
    227 new cases and 22 new deaths in Sweden
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,177
    Cyclefree said:

Stay calm Cyclefree. There's nothing any of us can do about the lurgi except follow the advice. Take a deep breath and pace yourself. We're all in for a long haul. Hopefully you'll sort out your accommodation.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    That seems fair, system penalie those who may have gamed the tax system at first glance. Which isn't a bad thing.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,833
    Cyclefree said:

I would have thought that the landlord would be keen to extend, good tenants are going to be hard to find this summer.

Keep safe, and trust your family to do so. There is little else that we can do at present.
    I think that I am going to have to self isolate. This cough is not clearing.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Stay strong.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,459

Whats your favorite Sunil I also like Pwelli

I did Mallaig and Oban last September, those were very scenic.

But alas, not sure if I can do those last two trains from Inverness this year :(
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,437
    I think it was Chris Whitty at the press conference earlier who said the number of tests was now 97,000 - so it would appear the government have today's numbers. I wonder what is causing the delay between them being collated and released to the public?
  • Options

You could go to Wick.

And when I went to sea for a week on a seine net fishing boat in the early seventies (from Lossiemouth) and were halfway across the north sea to Norway we had to steer for Wick as a safe haven in a sudden storm and high seas
    Not been for quite a few years. We used to stay at the pub right next to station
  • Options
    Alistair said:
    What the effing eff in the name of Jesus is that obscenity?

I wouldn’t be surprised to learn that’s that source of the coronavirus.

🤮🤮🤮🤮
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Cyclefree said:

I would have thought that the landlord would be keen to extend, good tenants are going to be hard to find this summer.

Keep safe, and trust your family to do so. There is little else that we can do at present.

I'm glad you are here...every night I have to give an hours therapy to my immediate relatives whose children are working in wards without proper protection....

I see that 30 doctors have died in Italy....how many others are lying in ICU beds next to the patients they were treating?
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    Andy_JS said:

It was only a matter of time before the scammers tried to make money in this way, by guessing some people would be feeling guilty for going out more than once, and hoping some of them are frightened into paying.
    The Civil Guard has warned of a computer virus that is spreading under the subject "Vaccine Covid-19: prepare the vaccine at home for you and your family to avoid COVID-19", said email has attached a compressed file (.zip format ) that when opening infects the computer with a Trojan. Verify RTVE remembers that this type of virus remains hidden in the computer waiting for the user to enter their bank accounts to steal the keys first and then the money, as the Civil Guard affirms. Furthermore, there is still no vaccine for this coronavirus, nor are there vaccines that can be prepared, for any virus, in-house.

Something is lost in the translation but you get the idea I’m sure
  • Options
    Looks speculative. Self employment is much more complicated than wages. I have earned virtually nothing this week but today I got paid £3500 that I earned about Christmas time. I think that would disqualify me for the month.

I am going to suffer at least a 30% drop in earnings this year but I am not the priority. The priority is those who are really casual labour in the gig economy dependent upon their earnings week to week. The government must focus on a system that works for them.
  • Options

I think it was Chris Whitty at the press conference earlier who said the number of tests was now 97,000 - so it would appear the government have today's numbers. I wonder what is causing the delay between them being collated and released to the public?

A bit worrying.
  • Options
    edited March 2020

Cyclefree said:

Stay strong.
    I wish I could say the same to my family who are working in wards without protection.....sometimes words are meaningless...

• Options
    Cyclefree said:

We're all allowed a wobble in this situation Cyclefree. You're a pillar of reasonableness so regularly you've more than earnt it.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Cyclefree said:

Best wishes to you and your wife Foxy.
  • Options

A bit worrying.
    A further 28 people have died in England, bringing the total number of confirmed deaths in the UK to 465.

The UK’s Department of Health and Social Care (DHSC) said 414 people in England have now died in England, while 22 have died in both Scotland and Wales and seven people have died in Northern Ireland.

The latest patients to die in England were aged between 47 and 93 years-old and all except the 47-year-old had underlying health conditions. Their families have been informed, the DHSC has said.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,472
    CNN analysis of the being announced US rescue package, including helicopter payments to all Americans (phases down for higher earners):

https://us.cnn.com/2020/03/25/politics/stimulus-package-details-coronavirus/index.html

Might put the UK Gvt in a bit of a spot?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,072
    TGOHF666 said:

rcs1000 said:

TGOHF666 said:

Floater said:

TGOHF666 said:

Andy_JS said:

Sure about that?
    Latitudes
    Wuhan 30.6
    Madrid 40.4
    New York 40.7
    Milan 45.4

Munich 48
    London 51
    Stockholm 59

Yeah, but a virus might care about the temperature and the humidity, but it sure don't care about the latitude.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,393
    edited March 2020
    tyson said:

Cyclefree said:

My wobbles are first thing in the morning.....I wake up from a lovely sleep to this world....

And my real anger is against those embarrassing, sycophantic posters here who cheerlead Boris and co to the rafters whilst my family are working in Covid wards unprotected.....

Boris, Hancock, Rishi, Sturgeon, Drakeford, Foster, Khan plus the medical and scientific advisors deserve the support of the whole nation.

They are across parties and non

You are just reflecting your own poltical bias and I do know who I am

And do not make unwarranted accusations about how deeply I care for everyone in the NHS
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    tyson said:

Cyclefree said:

Stay strong.
    I wish I could say the same to my family who are working in wards without protection.....sometimes words are meaningless...

Hopefully the government's words on supplying the right protective equipment are turning to actions as quickly as possible.
  • Options

A bit worrying.
    According to the Guardian 5 mins ago:

"UK death toll rises to 465

A further 28 people have died in England, bringing the total number of confirmed deaths in the UK to 465."
  • Options
    28 deaths in England and total UK 465
  • Options

A bit worrying.

A further 28 people have died in England, bringing the total number of confirmed deaths in the UK to 465."
    That would be 41 for the UK? Seems surprisingly low.
  • Options
    If the police now have the power to break up groups can they please start with Radiohead Coldplay?
  • Options
    edited March 2020

A bit worrying.

Awful, and awful for those people, but not quite as out of control just in terms of the compared figures as I was fearing.
  • Options

You could go to Wick.

Not been for quite a few years. We used to stay at the pub right next to station
    We were there two years ago visiting family. Not much change
  • Options

tyson said:

Cyclefree said:

Boris, Hancock, Rishi, Sturgeon, Drakeford, Foster, Khan plus the medical and scientific advisors deserve the support of the whole nation.

And do not make unwarranted accusations about how deeply I care for everyone in the NHS
    I think the poor guy is terribly stressed, if he is letting off steam here and it helps fair enough, like everybody at the moment understanding and calm is the best response.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

A bit worrying.

Lets take the good(ish) result - we will probably have darker days ahead
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,554
    edited March 2020

That tweet alone justifies using the 25th ammendment. Many Americans will die as a direct result of his behaviour.
  • Options

A bit worrying.

Awful, and awful for those people, but not quite as out of control just in terms of the compared figures as I was fearing.
    Whilst they stay ahead of the icu demand they will do fine, they just need to keep in front of the game.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    DavidL said:

Yesterday's UK figure from DHSC was 422, so +43. Dunno quite how that adds up, but maybe different time periods etc.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388

A bit worrying.

The UK moves to 16 days behind Italy.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

tyson said:

Cyclefree said:

I think the poor guy is terribly stressed, if he is letting off steam here and it helps fair enough, like everybody at the moment understanding and calm is the best response.
    I do agree but we are all under stress in different ways

And I will defend myself to personal attacks
  • Options
    alteregoalterego Posts: 1,100
    nichomar said:

tyson said:

Cyclefree said:

Tyson's never been any different - full of hate. Admittedly, it can't help.
  • Options
    glw said:

That tweet alone justifies using the 25th ammendment. Many Americans will die as a direct result of his behaviour.
    It does plainly put his motivation up front.
  • Options
    Andrew said:

DavidL said:

Yesterday's UK figure from DHSC was 422, so +43. Dunno quite how that adds up, but maybe different time periods etc.
    I wondered about NI. Well, someone has to, at least occasionally.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,142

A bit worrying.

The UK moves to 16 days behind Italy.
    I wonder if the people who were getting excited about the death comparisons will point that out.
  • Options
    Yes, Worldometer had UK 422 yesterday.

So 465 is up 43.
  • Options

nichomar said:

tyson said:

Cyclefree said:

He didn’t name anybody did he?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,147
    edited March 2020
    glw said:

One view of it:

https://twitter.com/DPJHodges/status/1242910430592368643
  • Options
    Sunak needs to get his scheme up and running quickly so that the self-employed don't need to claim Universal Credit.

Otherwise there will be confusion with self-employed getting an "80% payment" and claiming UC at the same time.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

nichomar said:

tyson said:

Cyclefree said:

I think he meant everyone who thinks differently to him
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,871

In line with its reputation as the "Start-Up Nation", Israel's high-tech sector is coming up with new applications to help in the fight against Covid-19.

From this week, a start-up called Vocalis Health is working with hospitals and the defence ministry to sample the voices of people who have tested positive - through a mobile app - to see if these samples show a "vocal fingerprint" that would help detect the virus in others. Artificial intelligence will be used to analyse the samples.

Another new app that has come online, called "The Shield" ("Hamagen" in Hebrew), can instantly tell people if they have crossed paths with someone known to have contracted the coronavirus. It was launched by the health ministry and takes location data from the user's phone to compare it to data on the known movements of confirmed cases in the two weeks before their diagnosis. If there is an overlap, the user is told and asked if they want to report their exposure.

The ministry promises that information shared is secure. But computer-privacy experts warn that the terms of use for the Shield app are far-reaching and allow the sharing of information with "the proper authorities".

Israel’s Shin Bet internal security service was controversially instructed to track the phones of infected people and send messages to those who had been in contact with them, ordering them to self-quarantine.

-------

Would we accept that here?

A good article by Yuval Noah Harari on the pros and cons with such tech and all powerful governments here:

https://www.ft.com/content/19d90308-6858-11ea-a3c9-1fe6fedcca75
  • Options

glw said:

One view of it:

https://twitter.com/DPJHodges/status/1242910430592368643
    USA was born out of slavery and genocide.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    MikeL said:

Sunak needs to get his scheme up and running quickly so that the self-employed don't need to claim Universal Credit.

Otherwise there will be confusion with self-employed getting an "80% payment" and claiming UC at the same time.

Pretty sure I won't qualify for the self-employed setup. Ouch.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

Not knowingly surely?
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,895
    alterego said:

Tyson's never been any different - full of hate. Admittedly, it can't help.

You're wrong. He's one of this site's oldest posters and there was a time when he was reasonable, reasoned and capable of joining in a cross-party debate.

That was true of most of the posters on here in the early days - everything changed with the global financial crisis of 2008. As people got scared, the tone got more abrasive and it hasn't improved since in all honesty.

The GFC was, and COVID-19 may be, a culturally defining event. A decade and a half of cheap food, cheap fuel, cheap money and endlessly rising asset values left people content but complacent.

The collapse of Lehman and all that followed was a real shock. What we are living through now is another shock - it will either bring us closer or drive us further apart. At the moment, I'd say tips on each of two.

• Options
    nichomar said:

nichomar said:

tyson said:

Cyclefree said:

His comments directly relate to a previous disagreement we had and it is clear I was his target

That is not unusual as we often tangle but I do reject the abusive nature of some of his comments
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,568
    We have heard very justified complaints from Fox and Tyson about the lack of PPE for front line NHS staff. But neither seem willing to explore why this is, beyond the usual 'years of Tory underfunding'. A deeper examination might actually suggest some improvements in NHS systems.
This discussion has been closed.