Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » New Ipsos MORI polling finds that we’re struggling to remain p

12345679»

Comments

• Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,593
    alterego said:

CatMan said:

HYUFD said:

OllyT said:

This level of grandiosity and self-orientation, at this moment, is quite astonishing,

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1242905328209080331

Every day, his illness gets worse. I feel for Americans.
    I don't, They elected him, they are giving him a 55% approval rating for handling the Corona crisis, they are probably going to reelect him in November. If they really are that thick they have no one to blame but themselves.
    Outside New York city, Massachussetts, California and DC Trump is still pretty popular.

Left liberals are making the same mistake thinking that the fact most Londoners hated Boris and Brexit meant the rest of the country did too
    The majority of people at the last election didn't vote Conservative. Unfortunately (if you don't like Boris), we have FPTP.
    When was the last time any political party got 50%+ of the vote?
    1935 IIRC

1955 and 59 the Conservatives came very close
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,168
    edited March 2020

HYUFD said:

OllyT said:

This level of grandiosity and self-orientation, at this moment, is quite astonishing,

I don't, They elected him, they are giving him a 55% approval rating for handling the Corona crisis, they are probably going to reelect him in November. If they really are that thick they have no one to blame but themselves.
    Outside New York city, Massachussetts, California and DC Trump is still pretty popular.

Left liberals are making the same mistake thinking that the fact most Londoners hated Boris and Brexit meant the rest of the country did too
    You seem to be a lone voice for Trump on here unless I am mistaken

Surely you can see how destructive and unsuitable for any office he is, far less the POTUS
    I supported Hillary in 2016 if you recall and if I were American would only have voted for Trump over Sanders or Warren but what I think is irrelevant as I am not American.
    I only tell you what I think most American voters will do
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

stodge said:

HYUFD said:

Why do you assume everyone who is liberal is on the Left?
    In the US they tend to be, though here I accept you do get some Orange Book LDs
    And here, we have a handful on the right who think the idiotic Trump can do no wrong
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,413

ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

This evening I confess to feeling really quite scared. I can do nothing to help my family and, if what I am hearing from those close to government is correct, will have to be in self-isolation for the majority of this year.

To cap it all work on the home we were meant to be moving to in June has now ceased so in a few weeks when our rental comes to an end we will be homeless unless we can extend or find another long-term rental nearby.

What state will we all be in when this is over?

Sorry for the wobble. I shall be a bit more positive after a good night’s sleep I dare say.

Sorry to hear that, realistically the vast majority of landlords would be delighted to find the current tenant wants to stay longer in the current climate, so discussing it with them and explaining your situation is very likely to result in an amicable stay as long as you need scenario. But if that doesnt work and the rental is an AST it can essentially only be ended by the tenant or a court order, so if you want to stay a bit beyond the end of the tenancy date, there is little the landlord can do to prevent it.
    I texted my tenant and offered her a rent holiday at an early stage because I like to think of myself as a nice person and it seemed the right thing to do.

But later on, thinking it over, it seemed to me the sensible thing to do as well from a business point of view. I can’t force her to pay the rent right now, and I would a long sight sooner have somebody I know in the house keeping it in order and looked after than it standing empty. For it to be well cared for, she needs to be in a benevolent mood with me as well and right now she’s deeply grateful to know I will stand behind her if she needs it.

Whether the majority of private landlords will have the sense to see it the way @TSE and I have is another question, of course. But then, you do get some shocking tenants as well.
    Good to hear, out of idle curiosity is such a "rental holiday" making the rent free or accepting delayed payment? If the former that is very generous indeed, the latter is generous too!
    A rent holiday would in this case be a pause in the rent. I wouldn’t try to recover it later.

It’s useful income, and an extremely important asset to me, but it’s her home and I respect that. I never wanted or expected to be a landlord but having become one I have no intention of putting my income above her security bearing in mind I make a comfortable living from my day job.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,593

According the Guardian, the 10,000 unit Dyson order is for what they call the The CoVent, which is a totally new type ventilator. Sounds like Dyson think they have got a new business opportunity, as they want to also sell it around the world.

I hope that isn't just it. AFAIK, the G-Tech one was very simple the medical experts gave it the ok and the guy was claiming he could make 1,000s of them quickly.

I have to say if I need one, I think I would definitely prefer the Dyson one than that Oxford University design were showing off today. They might claim to be able to make 5,000 a week of them, but we know what shoddy work they are usually responsible for.

At Fenland Poly they are too busy reporting to Moscow to do science, unlike Oxford.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,871
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

OllyT said:

I'm not sure he's that popular.

In Nevada, for example, he has -10 net favourability.
    His plan generally seems to be to make the opponent even more unpopular than him rather than be popular beyond his base himself.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    edited March 2020
    The government has declared this thread must go into self-isolation.
  • Options
    OllyT said:

HYUFD said:

OllyT said:

If you bothered to read what I actually said I am saying the exact opposite.

I said that he is popular and will get reelected in November and the fact that Americans still prefer him to be their President then I have little sympathy with them for what is coming down the line. 55% of Americans approve of his handling of the crisis apparently.
    Well fine but who Americans elect is up to Americans
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,871
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

This evening I confess to feeling really quite scared. I can do nothing to help my family and, if what I am hearing from those close to government is correct, will have to be in self-isolation for the majority of this year.

To cap it all work on the home we were meant to be moving to in June has now ceased so in a few weeks when our rental comes to an end we will be homeless unless we can extend or find another long-term rental nearby.

What state will we all be in when this is over?

Sorry for the wobble. I shall be a bit more positive after a good night’s sleep I dare say.

Sorry to hear that, realistically the vast majority of landlords would be delighted to find the current tenant wants to stay longer in the current climate, so discussing it with them and explaining your situation is very likely to result in an amicable stay as long as you need scenario. But if that doesnt work and the rental is an AST it can essentially only be ended by the tenant or a court order, so if you want to stay a bit beyond the end of the tenancy date, there is little the landlord can do to prevent it.
    I texted my tenant and offered her a rent holiday at an early stage because I like to think of myself as a nice person and it seemed the right thing to do.

But later on, thinking it over, it seemed to me the sensible thing to do as well from a business point of view. I can’t force her to pay the rent right now, and I would a long sight sooner have somebody I know in the house keeping it in order and looked after than it standing empty. For it to be well cared for, she needs to be in a benevolent mood with me as well and right now she’s deeply grateful to know I will stand behind her if she needs it.

Whether the majority of private landlords will have the sense to see it the way @TSE and I have is another question, of course. But then, you do get some shocking tenants as well.
    Good to hear, out of idle curiosity is such a "rental holiday" making the rent free or accepting delayed payment? If the former that is very generous indeed, the latter is generous too!
    A rent holiday would in this case be a pause in the rent. I wouldn’t try to recover it later.

It’s useful income, and an extremely important asset to me, but it’s her home and I respect that. I never wanted or expected to be a landlord but having become one I have no intention of putting my income above her security bearing in mind I make a comfortable living from my day job.
    If Carling did landlords.....
  • Options
    TGOHF666TGOHF666 Posts: 2,052
    If everyone is going to get it then

isam said:

Italy was on 827 at this point, to our 465.

Will Boris get the credit for this? He was being teed up to get the blame by the haters had we been keeping up with or surpassing the Italians.

So we're now on March 9, Italy timeline. We've gained two days.
    Maybe our epidemiologists really DO know their stuff.....
    Or our pensioners smoke less than Italians.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,009
    Alistair said:

Global Deaths still well ahead of this back of the fag packet calculation posted on Twitter a while ago, I had thought that by mid April the new death rate would be beating this chart but America looks like it is going to blow this apart.

If smoking is an important factor, the USA might do better than expected since they have a relatively low rate.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,339
    nichomar said:

isam said:

Will Boris get the credit for this? He was being teed up to get the blame by the haters had we been keeping up with or surpassing the Italians.

How peculiar that you are viewing this crisis as an electoral opportunity for Boris Johnson.

I am largely complimentary of how the government have dealt with this. My only concerns were firstly I thought the lockdown should have been last Friday, and secondly the relaxing to allow certain retail premises to reopen, along with construction being largely unimpeded by closure are in my view errors.

So as it stands a 7 or 8 out of ten. And generally speaking I dislike Mr Johnson.
    To be honest given the UK had a 7-10 day breathing space it would be shocking if they were not beating the curve let’s hope they can stay in front over the coming days.
    Some businesses here are taking the mick.

I can't begin to explain how annoyed I am that Halfords is allowed to open. No-one needs to go out and buy a bike. If a cycle purchase becomes an imperative, have one delivered from an online seller! And as for keeping a car on the road, any automotive DIYer would buy their parts from a motor factor or eBay rather than pay Halfords prices, And off-licences, someone is having a laugh?

Equally no one needs to be paving a cycle track or building a Barrett/Wimpey/David Wilson house for the foreseeable future.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,789

According the Guardian, the 10,000 unit Dyson order is for what they call the The CoVent, which is a totally new type ventilator. Sounds like Dyson think they have got a new business opportunity, as they want to also sell it around the world.

I hope that isn't just it. AFAIK, the G-Tech one was very simple the medical experts gave it the ok and the guy was claiming he could make 1,000s of them quickly.

I have to say if I need one, I think I would definitely prefer the Dyson one than that Oxford University design were showing off today. They might claim to be able to make 5,000 a week of them, but we know what shoddy work they are usually responsible for.

Isn't Dyson's manufacturing base in Malaysia?
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,847
    This thread is struggling to remain current
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    RobD said:

Lets hope they still have many more hidden away somewhere secure.
    Reassuring that they had 25 million gloves on hand.
    Regent Biogel is a UK company, albeit owned by Molnlycke.

There's still some gloves made in the UK even though a lot more made in Malaysia (closer to the rubber plantations)
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,071
    HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

OllyT said:

Which is still higher than in California and New York city.
    Nationally some pollsters have Trump over 50% approval

https://twitter.com/Politics_Polls/status/1242677198856822784?s=20
    I would point out that out of the last 25 approval surveys, that is the only one with a Trump number above 50.

Nevertheless, what constitutes "pretty popular".

Let me suggest something. (And feel free to suggest an alternative.) I would suggest "pretty popular" is the average net approval rating at this point for Presidents who go on to be re-elected.

That sounds reasonable for pretty popular.

That - ummm - works out as perhaps a +10 net score.

Let's go with the two lowest net approvals for Presidents who went on to be re-elected (+2.5 and +2.7). Let's count that as pretty popular.

Well, Trump - despite rallying through the CV-19 thing - is on -6.1.

But let's look at which states Trump fails to get to +2.6 in. Well, it's a long list. And it sure as shit ain't as short as New York city, Massachussetts, California and DC.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,071
    Andy_JS said:

Alistair said:

Global Deaths still well ahead of this back of the fag packet calculation posted on Twitter a while ago, I had thought that by mid April the new death rate would be beating this chart but America looks like it is going to blow this apart.

If smoking is an important factor, the USA might do better than expected since they have a relatively low rate.
    I thought non-smokers were much more likely to catch CV-19.
  • Options
    alteregoalterego Posts: 1,100

alterego said:

CatMan said:

HYUFD said:

OllyT said:

The majority of people at the last election didn't vote Conservative. Unfortunately (if you don't like Boris), we have FPTP.
    When was the last time any political party got 50%+ of the vote?
    1935 IIRC

1955 and 59 the Conservatives came very close
    Ta. So quite a long time ago and unlikely ever again?
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,847
    NEW THREAD ALERT!
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

OllyT said:

I would point out that out of the last 25 approval surveys, that is the only one with a Trump number above 50.

Let me suggest something. (And feel free to suggest an alternative.) I would suggest "pretty popular" is the average net approval rating at this point for Presidents who go on to be re-elected.

Let's go with the two lowest net approvals for Presidents who went on to be re-elected (+2.5 and +2.7). Let's count that as pretty popular.

But let's look at which states Trump fails to get to +2.6 in. Well, it's a long list. And it sure as shit ain't as short as New York city, Massachussetts, California and DC.
    Trump is now on +4% net approval in North Carolina, +3% in Florida, 0 in Ohio and only -1% in Pennsylvania.

If he wins those 4 swing states he is likely re elected
    https://morningconsult.com/tracking-trump-2/
  • Options
    alteregoalterego Posts: 1,100
    Andy_JS said:

Alistair said:

What about a smokers cut by age group? Anyone have any data on that?
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,277
    edited March 2020

I don't know anybody else, but its a weird feeling.

We have all seen China, Italy, Spain, France...we know its coming, we know it will be bad, we hope Neil Ferguson is right and the NHS just manages to keep going and that we get enough scrapheap challenge ventilators in place, but is this weird "quiet" time both where nearly everybody is now inside and that <100 people dying of respiratory diseases is per day is really normal life in the UK.</p>

While I have no doubt whatsoever there are many tough days ahead, this comparison with other countries is a little facile. We are, in many many ways, different to all of those nations - and I say that as a card carrying Lib Dem Remoaner. Some differences are negative - for example we have a higher rate of obesity than countries you list; some are positive though - we smoke far less than all of them - especially China.

One big difference no one has mentioned is that we tend to more reserved and distant to our fellow countrymen than our Latin neighbours are - which is a bad thing in normal times. A stereotype admittedly, but one I find to have some basis in truth. However, our damp, mild climate may not hold us in good stead compared to the heat of Southern Europe if temperatures do affect this thing. We really don’t know. Twelve weeks ago hardly anyone had heard of this virus. Who can be certain where we will be in June?
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,277
    HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

OllyT said:

Trump is now on +4% net approval in North Carolina, +3% in Florida, 0 in Ohio and only -1% in Pennsylvania.

He’s only in positive territory in 2 of those 4.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

OllyT said:

He is close enough to positive in all of them to win them in November
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    FF43 said:

Charles said:

RobD said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

All those screaming at Boris for the original strategy...Chief modelling egg-head thought it was good idea,

https://twitter.com/Smyth_Chris/status/1242761739332190209?s=20

I don't think this is correct. Prof Ferguson produced the paper that convinced the government to change its policy. Ferguson does appear to have been sceptical earlier that containment policies would actually reduce the infection rate and that may have influenced government policy. He seems to have revised his mortality estimates downwards. I doubt know whether that's because the containment methods are effective or due to a better understanding of the epidemic after a couple of weeks.
    Incidentally the information about the Italian mortality and serious illness rates that informed Ferguson's paper was available earlier to the UK government at the EU COVID19 information sharing meeting, but the government wasn't aware of it due to it boycotting that meeting for reasons of Brexit ideology.
    Is there a source for the claim that this information was only shared at this meeting, and not more widely? Seems a bit strange to keep information like this secret.
    I'm also intrigued that such a fan of the EU is implicating our European friends and partners in the death of a large number of British citizens.
    Don't worry, Charles, I said no such thing.
    You said

"Incidentally the information about the Italian mortality and serious illness rates that informed Ferguson's paper was available earlier to the UK government at the EU COVID19 information "

Which implies that the EU didn't share it with the UK.

Admittedly I should have said "potential" death given the UK got the information - apparently from other sources - and amended their strategy.

As it happens I think you are talking rubbish and the EU (or national governments) did share it with the UK. But it was depressing that you chose to make a political point out of this.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    So pretty popular means negative approval rating. Got it.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,005

isam said:

How peculiar that you are viewing this crisis as an electoral opportunity for Boris Johnson.

I am largely complimentary of how the government have dealt with this. My only concerns were firstly I thought the lockdown should have been last Friday, and secondly the relaxing to allow certain retail premises to reopen, along with construction being largely unimpeded by closure are in my view errors.

So as it stands a 7 or 8 out of ten. And generally speaking I dislike Mr Johnson.
    It might be peculiar, if that is what I were doing. In fact all I am doing is highlighting the comparison which would otherwise be ignored by the people who’d be all over it if it had been on par with or worse than Italy’s
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

OllyT said:

He is close enough to positive in all of them to win them in November
    The same figures also show Trump barely ahead in GA, and AZ and underwater in MI and WI. Funny how you didn’t mention those.
This discussion has been closed.