Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » If there is a London lockdown then YouGov finds it would have

Comments

• rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,539
    https://twitter.com/VinceGunning1/status/1240750358793682945

When is Johnson going to get a grip on this?
  • Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 9,763

You would think governments would have a "rationing plan" in place as so many emergencies might require stopping panic buying
  • justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    Interesting suggestion from Stephen Bush of the serious possibility of a National Coalition Government by the end of the summer. I cannot see it myelf. Certainly no way Labour would agree to serve under Johnson.
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,873
    Seeing Burnham has reminded me...

If Rachel Reeves doesn't get a prime Shadow Cabinet job, she might be after the West Yorkshire elected mayor gig. Just my musings, but bettors take note.
    justin124 said:

Interesting suggestion from Stephen Bush of the serious possibility of a National Coalition Government by the end of the summer. I cannot see it myelf. Certainly no way Labour would agree to serve under Johnson.

Cant see anyone in labour that would add anything to the response...tories are bad enough without adding the likes of burgon, abbot, corbyn ,milne to the mix
  • justin124 said:

That was the path Attlee took to power.
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 34,383
    dr_spyn said:

Is there a link showing which parts of England outside of London, are deadly hot spots?

The Government CV dashboard is probably your best bet. It has a zoomable map.

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/f94c3c90da5b4e9f9a0b19484dd4bb14
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,773
    Pagan2 said:

Conferences, the perfect disease spreading vector...

https://twitter.com/RufusPeabody/status/1240709290987360256?s=20

what the hell was he doing going to a conference
    Infect others or miss jolly, infect others or miss jolly.....hmmmmmm....
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 121,106
    IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

Question Time much better with no audience, just sensible analysis without points scoring

Look and learn.
    Yes do

justin124 said:

Martin Kettle raised the idea of coalition in Guardian a day or two ago.

Implies we will still be in deep shit by the autumn.

Pagan2 said:

I wonder if we shouldn't have a charge of reckless endangerment for people like that
    Pagan2 said:

justin124 said:

Cant see anyone in labour that would add anything to the response...tories are bad enough without adding the likes of burgon, abbot, corbyn ,milne to the mix
    But Starmer, Cooper, Benn, Miliband might.

Not sure I see it though, barring the next few weeks becoming an utter catastrophe.
    Pagan2 said:

justin124 said:

If a very extended lockdown is required, then a united front like this might help. Because after a while it will only be enforceable by really draconian activities.
    Pagan2 said:

You would think governments would have a "rationing plan" in place as so many emergencies might require stopping panic buying
    I know. I just don't get it. What is going on?

Pagan2 said:

justin124 said:

Not sure I see it though, barring the next few weeks becoming an utter catastrophe.
    none of whom are currently in power in labour so not who we would get
  • DougSealDougSeal Posts: 12,527
    RobD said:

The UK, with 144 deaths and 3269 confirmed cases, is today almost exactly where Italy was two weeks ago on 5th March (148 deaths and 3296 confirmed cases).

Have we already done enough to prevent us tracking Italy for the next two weeks? I am not sure that we have, sadly.

Except we have the advantage that we live two weeks in the future.
    The other advantage we have is that the age profile of our “hotspot” is significantly younger than the rest of England, and the age profile of England is a bit younger than Italy. Stereotypically the people most at risk in this move out of London when they retire. There are 2.25 million people in Lombardy over the age of 65, nearly a quarter of the population, whereas it’s under 1.1m, 13%, in London. And of those over 65s, not many are going clubbing, and few use the Tube at rush hour.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 27,551
    edited March 2020
    philiph said:

Scott_xP said:
    The issue is the berks and jerks who demanded daily information, press conferences and interrogation.

The standard of questions from journalists are abysmal and mind numbing in trrms of stupidity and seeking gotcha moments.

Two or three times a week may be ok. Daily is useless and enough to bore any PM.
    That is quite a get out of jail card you have given Johnson.

There is a lot of mundane stuff to complete as 'World King'. Trying to get ones head around dull subjects like statistics and correlation co-efficients as a Classics Scholar is probably hard work.

Initially I liked the fact that Boris engaged the experts to sit with him and explain the technical issues with fluency. Cameron and Blair would probably have flown solo back in the day, but at least they would have needed to grasp the issues in order to talk about them. I do get the impression that Boris engaged the scientists because he either couldn't understand the science or couldn't be arsed to read up about it.

Delegating all the big boy and girl work to the big boys and girls makes sense. Johnson sat beyween them spewing out sound bites and platitudes appears superfluous. He is supposed to be the master orator. He needs to up his game!
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 80,424
    edited March 2020
    Government of national unity....a bit like people often think about how much better England might have been if say Giggs or Bale weren't Welsh.

The difference is at the moment, the labour and lib dem shadow cabinet....we aren't exactly talking about having Jack Straw or Steve Webb sitting on the bench.

You want Richard Burgon or Dawn Butler anywhere near national planning on this?

Pagan2 said:

Who is Miss Jolly?
  • MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688
    Best wishes to @Charles and his father. Best possible vibes for a speedy recovery.
    Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

justin124 said:

In less than a month they likely will be, assuming Starmer wins

Government of national unity....a bit like people often think about how much better England might have been if say Giggs or Bale weren't Welsh.

The difference is at the moment, the labour and lib dem shadow cabinet....we aren't exactly talking about having Jack Straw or Steve Webb sitting on the bench.

Neither of them - but Johnson, Williamson,Patel et al are just as bad.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,876

A couple of interesting factoids I have found out today.

70% of Germany's positive cases are under 50.

Although South Korea has an the aging population, the proportion of over 65 year olds is less than here and no where near Japan levels.

Yes, the extremely low birth rate in S Korea is a fairly recent development.

Best wishes to @Charles and his father. Best possible vibes for a speedy recovery.

Indeed

justin124 said:

But he refused to serve under Chamberlain.

philiph said:

Scott_xP said:
    The issue is the berks and jerks who demanded daily information, press conferences and interrogation.

The standard of questions from journalists are abysmal and mind numbing in trrms of stupidity and seeking gotcha moments.

Two or three times a week may be ok. Daily is useless and enough to bore any PM.

There is a lot of mundane stuff to complete as 'World King'. Trying to get ones head around dull subjects like statistics and correlation co-efficients as a Classics Scholar is probably hard work.

Initially I liked the fact that Boris engaged the experts to sit with him and explain the technical issues with fluency. Cameron and Blair would probably have flown solo back in the day, but at least they would have needed to grasp the issues in order to talk about them. I do get the impression that Boris engaged the scientists because he either couldn't understand the science or couldn't be arsed to read up about it.

Delegating all the big boy and girl work to the big boys and girls makes sense. Johnson sat beyween them spewing out sound bites and platitudes appears superfluous. He is supposed to be the master orator. He needs to up his game!
    Indeed, master orator, huh!

He likes to think of himself as a modern day Churchill but imagine how clearly and powerfully Churchill would have delivered the key messages the country needs right now.

Sadly, any other PM of the last 40 year would have made a better fist of it than Johnson has so far.
    HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

justin124 said:

Some of the Twitterati are claiming the Labour leadership election should be cancelled and an experienced LOTO should be allowed to continue during the crisis. Titter ye not!
    justin124 said:

justin124 said:

But he refused to serve under Chamberlain.
    No Offence Alan but he's got you there!
    justin124 said:

Neither of them - but Johnson, Williamson,Patel et al are just as bad.
    I don't like any of those 3 and wouldn't vote for them unless it was a choice between them and the ones I mentioned. Sorry corbyn , milne, abbot and burgon really aren't fit to run a village fete let alone a pandemic response. Yes I agree the ones doing now are hugely better but they are better

HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

justin124 said:

Some of the Twitterati are claiming the Labour leadership election should be cancelled and an experienced LOTO should be allowed to continue during the crisis. Titter ye not!
    Neil Kinnock is available?
  • justin124 said:

That is partisan clap trap. They already are working together

While it is unlikely I expect the close cooperation with Sturgeon, Drakeford, Foster, and the mayors will continue and develop into a de facto governmentof national unity
  • another_richardanother_richard Posts: 26,235

Get a grip on what ???

Idiots buying bog rolls ???

philiph said:

Scott_xP said:

He likes to think of himself as a modern day Churchill but imagine how clearly and powerfully Churchill would have delivered the key messages the country needs right now.

Sadly, any other PM of the last 40 year would have made a better fist of it than Johnson has so far.
    Unless he bucks up his ideas, Boris is no Churchill!
  • edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,551
    edited March 2020
    This is so good:

Churchill had two favourite phrases. It is time to move from his advice to those away from the front line — “keep calm and carry on” — to his advice for those controlling operations — “action this day”.

https://www.standard.co.uk/comment/comment/rory-stewart-aggressive-action-comes-at-a-huge-cost-but-it-will-save-lives-immediately-a4391816.html

There are more people in their 70s than in their 20s in Lombardy, and nearly as many 80-89 year olds as 0-9 year olds

https://www.citypopulation.de/en/italy/admin/03__lombardia/

HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

justin124 said:

Neil Kinnock is available?
    The pink Tory, Kinnock, I suspect, is not who they have in mind.

HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

justin124 said:

There's more chance of Liverpool not winning the premiership this seaso.. oh!
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,251

rcs1000 said:

kamski said:

RobD said:

DavidL said:

The number of new cases in Italy is appalling. We really should be seeing the benefit of their lockdown starting to factor in by now.

If is does not come down massively in a week then there is a real problem, it surely must do because how can the virus infect people if there is no social interaction
    There are probably still social interactions. Going to the shops, for one.
    There's people who were infected before the lock down still getting tested positive.
    There's members of the same household getting infected.
    There's loads of people still going to work.
    There's people getting infected in hospitals, care homes etc
    All those matter. And (1) is probably still the biggest factor right now.

But it's not about getting to zero, it's about getting an R0 that is nearer 0.2 than 3. And as the number of social interactions in Italy is probably down 90+%, and as people are a lot more cautious, and are using soap, etc.m we can be reasonably confident that it will come down fairly quickly.

Now, everyone is fixating on the total Italian number, but it's worth looking at the numbers for the Veneto area, which was one of the first two hotspots.

The number of new cases jumped above 200 for the first time on 12/3. It has been above there every day since, peaking at 510. It's now 270. Now it's too early to celebrate yet. But it's possible that we'll see the first number under 200 tomorrow. That would be a more than halving from the peak.

And where Veneto goes, the rest of Italy will follow (with a lag).
    One further question that should have been asked:

If we start lifting the restrictions in late June - is that it, or is it merely the end of the first cycle (as per the pulsing-restrictions-on-and-off-again recommendation in the IC paper)?
    Because, after all, as the issue with the suppression method has always been: it doesn’t fix the problem; just stretches it out. A rebound peak should immediately start to build at that point, according to the modelling.
    One would hope we'd handle a second Coronavirus peak rather better. We'd have more testing, and could act like the Koreans do to restrict infection. We'd know which drugs worked, and we'd also know which people had already had the disease (and recovered) and therefore were very unlikely to act as vectors for reinfection.
  • dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,300

justin124 said:

While it is unlikely I expect the close cooperation with Sturgeon, Drakeford, Foster, and the mayors will continue and develop into a de facto governmentof national unity
    Unless I am behind the times, Khan and Burnham haven't been invited to the party.

philiph said:

Scott_xP said:

If I had to choose a party leader of the last 30 years for now I think I would go for ashdown and no I am not a lib dem
    edited March 2020

Get a grip on what ???

Idiots buying bog rolls ???
    Some people are unable to exercise their rights, as enshrined in Magna Carta, to buy vast amounts of bog roll.

Thankfully, nobody is dying of hunger from this stupidity. Nor will they.
    Brutal. Not even a hint of regret or sadness. Who writes this stuff?
  • justin124 said:

Unless I am behind the times, Khan and Burnham haven't been invited to the party.
    I believe Khan is attending Cobra with the mayors to follow
    edited March 2020
    Pagan2 said:

philiph said:

Scott_xP said:

If I had to choose a party leader of the last 30 years for now I think I would go for ashdown and no I am not a lib dem
    He'd be good on deploying the military.

justin124 said:

I believe Khan is attending Cobra with the mayors to follow
    Sorry, it would appear I am as equally ill-informed as Boris!
    Personally I'm relieved its bog roll that has become the panic buying choice of imbeciles.

There would be far more trouble if it had been food.
    edited March 2020
    We need to maintain a Wall of Shame to out and publicise these companies. Get the tabloids onto it!

Gatwick Airport and Cineworld already on the list for their preemptive strikes on the poor sods that used to keep their businesses going.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 77,453
    The pathology of this disease seems nuts. I mean with the flu, well you know if you have the flu. This is something else varying from asymptomatic to death

Personally I'm relieved its bog roll that has become the panic buying choice of imbeciles.

Or beer.

Pagan2 said:

Who is Miss Jolly?
    It's who he was going to bed at the conference.....
    dr_spyn said:
    Unbelievable, even by Corbynista standards.
  • dr_spyn said:
    She is right. All other elections postponed a year. Labour setting a terrible example not binning theirs
    dr_spyn said:
    RBL is now a careerist? Did she not get the memo that RBL was the chosen one?
  • RobDRobD Posts: 59,583
    Pulpstar said:

The pathology of this disease seems nuts. I mean with the flu, well you know if you have the flu. This is something else varying from asymptomatic to death

It's actually pretty similar, 50% of seasonal flu infections are asymptomatic:

http://www.centerforhealthsecurity.org/cbn/2005/cbnreport_103105.html

Or even worse:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/16/us-sales-guns-ammunition-soar-amid-coronavirus-panic-buying

HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

justin124 said:

There's more chance of Liverpool not winning the premiership this seaso.. oh!
    Doesn't Karren Brady want the title bestowed on West Ham? Or have I got the wrong end of the stick...
    edited March 2020
    Pulpstar said:

Part of the reason is down to the fact nobody has any built up immunity. Some people's bodies react quickly and calmly and fight it off, some young people who are fit and healthy have an immune system over-react and the old's immune system reacts slowly and really struggles to get a handle on it.
    That matches anecdotes of lots of kids coughing in school recently.

Brutal. Not even a hint of regret or sadness. Who writes this stuff?
    People like me I’m afraid

dr_spyn said:
    She is right. All other elections postponed a year. Labour setting a terrible example not binning theirs
    You mean Trump will not be kicked out until November 2021?

dr_spyn said:
    In the UK. The US presidential election cannot be moved without a constitutional amendment.
  • edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,551
    rcs1000 said:

One would hope we'd handle a second Coronavirus peak rather better. We'd have more testing, and could act like the Koreans do to restrict infection. We'd know which drugs worked, and we'd also know which people had already had the disease (and recovered) and therefore were very unlikely to act as vectors for reinfection.

This, and I'd also add that the restrictions could probably be a lot smarter. It's likely that a lot of the changes people are making right now won't actually help much or at all; The problem is that like advertising, you don't yet know which parts are wasted.

So you might need some things to actually get more restrictive, but be less restrictive overall. For example - just pulling this out of my arse as an example of the kind of thing, and in no way suggesting this particular example is right - it might turn out that the insides of pubs are really nasty contagion vectors and hard to fix, and they all need to be closed. (But you might also find that it's OK to drink outside...)
    Watching Pandemic: How to prevent an Outbreak, a documentary series on Netflix. There is a reference there by an Egyptian virologist that the peak flu season in Egypt is April/May.

Eek.

RobD said:

dr_spyn said:
    In the UK. The US presidential election cannot be moved without a constitutional amendment.
    No need to ditch Lab leadership. The hustings have finished and ballots went out weeks ago. I suspect most have voted.
    edited March 2020
    The government has already provided £300 billion of loans and even if the government paid every person £1000 for 3 months I expect some hospitality businesses would still sack people knowing that would not last for ever and they would face a big rise in their costs and tax bill to pay for it.

The government is not a magician, it cannot make everybody's lives perfect at every time it just has to find the best outcome at each time for the most number. At the moment that is advising avoiding unnecessary travel and visits to restaurants and hotels etc due to the health risks and that will have costs too.

Plus no doubt once this crisis is over even Britannia Hotels will be hiring again
    edited March 2020
    Hospitals in Italy’s central and southern regions are bracing themselves as the number of confirmed coronavirus cases grows.

The rise, which has been particularly steep in Lazio, Campania and Puglia, is believed to be largely the result of the thousands of people who fled south after Lombardy, where the outbreak in Italy began, was quarantined on 8 March. The entire country was put under lockdown on 9 March and rules were tightened on 11 March.

I wonder how many people have fled London?

RobD said:

dr_spyn said:
    No need to ditch Lab leadership. The hustings have finished and ballots went out weeks ago. I suspect most have voted.
    ...for Starmer. Hence the need to bin it and start again.
  • RobD said:

dr_spyn said:
    Don't worry. America can vote Trump out in November. He'll then have a couple of months to nuke the blue states and stay on.
    JM1 said:

RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

Not so unusual. Most people can fight off the virus pretty efficiently it seems - it's only if you are compromised (elderly or with an immuno-deficiency) does it generally become a major problem. Unfortunately there are many people who fall in this category. But, if you are healthy and reasonably young, your immune system can probably fight this off (cf the cases in Germany and the really interesting factoid from @eristdoof about 70% of their cases being relatively young).
    Cough cough...
  • tysontyson Posts: 6,106

RobD said:

dr_spyn said:
    I think at this time even diehard Tories would quite like a grown up leading the Labour Party......
    Hmm this is getting weird - I've got a slight throat tickle, slightly sore eyes and am type O neg. And I'm reading...
    tyson said:

RobD said:

dr_spyn said:
    I think at this time even diehard Tories would quite like a grown up leading the Labour Party......
    Is Tony coming back out of retirement?
    RobD said:

dr_spyn said:
    The Labour leadership election is a postal ballot, votes now largely cast. There is no good reason on earth to stop it.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 49,622
    Pulpstar said:

Hmm this is getting weird - I've got a slight throat tickle, slightly sore eyes and am type O neg. And I'm reading...

Sore eyes isn’t a symptom, that normally means an allergy
    edited March 2020

RobD said:

dr_spyn said:
    The Labour leadership election is a postal ballot, votes now largely cast. There is no good reason on earth to stop it.
    There is if you want Corbyn to stay in office.

dr_spyn said:
    Most Democratic primaries are still going and I would imagine most Labour members have voted by now anyway
  • tysontyson Posts: 6,106

tyson said:

RobD said:

dr_spyn said:
    Is Tony coming back out of retirement?
    Starmer is a credible leader...at too Nandy.....

The fiasco of the last 5 years will be a thing of the past

dr_spyn said:
    You are normally one of the sagest voices on PB. You are wrong over this one.

We need strong opposition at a time of crisis and Starmer, Nandy or Bailey possess more gravitas than Corbyn- even the weakest of the candidates towers head and shoulders over Jezza..
    HYUFD said:

The government has already provided £300 billion of loans and even if the government paid every person £1000 for 3 months I expect some hospitality businesses would still sack people knowing that would not last for ever and they would face a big rise in their costs and tax bill to pay for it.

The government is not a magician, it cannot make everybody's lives perfect at every time it just has to find the best outcome at each time for the most number. At the moment that is advising avoiding unnecessary travel and visits to restaurants and hotels etc due to the health risks and that will have costs too.

Plus no doubt once this crisis is over even Britannia Hotels will be hiring again
    FFS!

dr_spyn said:
    Maybe not even then

https://twitter.com/Politics_Polls/status/1240704835684454400?s=20
    IanB2 said:

Pulpstar said:

Sore eyes isn’t a symptom, that normally means an allergy
    Yes lol it's the yard hay most likely.
    edited March 2020

JM1 said:

RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

Not so unusual. Most people can fight off the virus pretty efficiently it seems - it's only if you are compromised (elderly or with an immuno-deficiency) does it generally become a major problem. Unfortunately there are many people who fall in this category. But, if you are healthy and reasonably young, your immune system can probably fight this off (cf the cases in Germany and the really interesting factoid from @eristdoof about 70% of their cases being relatively young).
    Cough cough...
    Ok, try to stay cool.
    @Mexicanpete Rules are rules.
    HYUFD said:

Whether anyone will want to actually work for them though....
    BT, owner of the UK’s biggest mobile operator, EE, is in talks with the government about using its phone location and usage data to monitor whether coronavirus limitation measures such as asking the public to stay at home are working.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/19/plan-phone-location-data-assist-uk-coronavirus-effort
  • RobD said:

RobD said:

dr_spyn said:
    RLB has already pre-recorded a moving victory speech
    RobD said:

RobD said:

dr_spyn said:
    As I said: no good reason.

RobD said:

RobD said:

dr_spyn said:
    As I said: no good reason.
    Depends. It is if you want Corbyn to stay in office.

:D
  • Pulpstar said:

Especially when I am trolling my former Labour colleages
    Pulpstar said:

I am unsure to what you are referring?

Dent Coad cancelling the Labour Leaders election, or HYUFDs extraordinary statement re: Britannia Hotels?
  • HYUFD said:

FFS!
    Just callous and uncaring comments

That matches anecdotes of lots of kids coughing in school recently.
    Of course, kids are never going to wind up teachers by coughing, are they....

"I have to go home for 7 days isolation, Sir, I've got a cough...."

"Make it 14, Jenkins...."
This discussion has been closed.