Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » If there is a London lockdown then YouGov finds it would have

SystemSystem Posts: 12,054
edited March 2020 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » If there is a London lockdown then YouGov finds it would have public backing

64% of Britons, including 57% of Londoners, say they would support putting London under lockdown #COVID19 https://t.co/gOkfN6aPSn pic.twitter.com/ckxSzAQVn0

Read the full story here

Comments

• Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 5,175
    edited March 2020
    First. Like the transport company.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,539
    Distant 2nd. Like Labour.
  • Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 8,163
    edited March 2020
    Over the years, many have opined that London makes so much money it should be a separate state so it can shake off the parasitic regions that form the UK.

The thought experiment looks like it is becoming reality....

Lexit!
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 49,620
    Yes, London
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 26,023
    Build the wall.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,876
    I feel like repeating my comment from the last thread....

For now, I get the impression the government is attempting to triangulate between the reality before and after the pandemic hit. I’m not convinced that’s an appropriate way to address a crisis.

And Johnson’s attempt to sound optimistic/reassuring/determined didn’t really work.
    Italy:

"99 per cent of coronavirus deaths in Italy are patients with existing medical problems, a study by the country's health service has found.

Research into 355 deaths found that only three of the victims, 0.8 per cent, had been clear of illnesses before they were infected.

Nearly half of them - 48.5 per cent - already had three or even more health conditions before they were diagnosed with Covid-19.

Another 25.6 per cent had two other 'pathologies', while 25.1 per cent had one."

(Mail)
  • isamisam Posts: 41,118

Over the years, many have opined that London makes so much money it should be a separate state so it can shake off the parasitic regions that form the UK.

The thought experiment looks like it is becoming reality....

Lexit!

Haha, so they did! The provincial tortoises look like they won in the end
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 121,106
    During the Great Plague of the 17th century of course many wealthier Londoners fled the city for the countryside, whether some follow suit today before a London lockdown remains to be seen
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 121,106
    Interesting to compare the Mori numbers after the new Labour leader is elected next month and a few more weeks of government response to the virus
  • rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038
    FPT (but lost trace of who made the comments below; mine is 3rd.)

He is listening to the scientists which I give him credit for. And he has avoided some knee-jerk decisions which I also give him credit for. And he's doing a much, much better job than Donald Trump.

Trump is in a class of his own.
    The pandemic will try the best statesmen and women.

Presumably the only things in the USA's favour are

low population density
    lack of public transport.

Do their hospitals still charge $2,000 for a test? Shameful.
  • WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,850
    edited March 2020

Italy:

"99 per cent of coronavirus deaths in Italy are patients with existing medical problems, a study by the country's health service has found.

Research into 355 deaths found that only three of the victims, 0.8 per cent, had been clear of illnesses before they were infected.

Nearly half of them - 48.5 per cent - already had three or even more health conditions before they were diagnosed with Covid-19.

Another 25.6 per cent had two other 'pathologies', while 25.1 per cent had one."

(Mail)

For this to be situation, and for them still to be getting such a high number of deaths, their health system still must be very seriously overwhelmed.
  • MortimerMortimer Posts: 14,098
    HYUFD said:

Interesting to compare the Mori numbers after the new Labour leader is elected next month and a few more weeks of government response to the virus

I suspect Keith Stormer will be very pleased to see such a large gap before he takes the reins.

Presumably his theme tune will be 'The only way is up....'?
  • I'm fucking fizzing. Been trying to do a shop for my 82 year old mum, who we've virtually welded into her flat. The shops are empty. Genuinely fuck all of any worth on the shelves. Even stuff like ketchup gone. The poor shop staff looked haunted. This is going to end up with some poor bastard getting killed. It's making me swear :#
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,251
    kamski said:

RobD said:

DavidL said:

The number of new cases in Italy is appalling. We really should be seeing the benefit of their lockdown starting to factor in by now.

If is does not come down massively in a week then there is a real problem, it surely must do because how can the virus infect people if there is no social interaction
    There are probably still social interactions. Going to the shops, for one.
    There's people who were infected before the lock down still getting tested positive.
    There's members of the same household getting infected.
    There's loads of people still going to work.
    There's people getting infected in hospitals, care homes etc
    All those matter. And (1) is probably still the biggest factor right now.

But it's not about getting to zero, it's about getting an R0 that is nearer 0.2 than 3. And as the number of social interactions in Italy is probably down 90+%, and as people are a lot more cautious, and are using soap, etc.m we can be reasonably confident that it will come down fairly quickly.

Now, everyone is fixating on the total Italian number, but it's worth looking at the numbers for the Veneto area, which was one of the first two hotspots.

The number of new cases jumped above 200 for the first time on 12/3. It has been above there every day since, peaking at 510. It's now 270. Now it's too early to celebrate yet. But it's possible that we'll see the first number under 200 tomorrow. That would be a more than halving from the peak.

And where Veneto goes, the rest of Italy will follow (with a lag).
    edited March 2020
    The government are going to have take some sort of action on supermarket demand, I think, while their supplies are still coming in so relatively normally for the moment. It might be that they make the amounts per customer mandatory, rather than the supermarkets.
  • FFS

Netflix will reduce the video quality on its service in Europe for the next 30 days, to reduce the strain on internet service providers.

Demand for streaming has increased because large parts of Europe are self-isolating at home due to the coronavirus outbreak,

The video-streaming provider said lowering the picture quality would reduce Netflix data consumption by 25%.

But it said viewers would still find the picture quality good.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-51968302
  • TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,442

I'm fucking fizzing. Been trying to do a shop for my 82 year old mum, who we've virtually welded into her flat. The shops are empty. Genuinely fuck all of any worth on the shelves. Even stuff like ketchup gone. The poor shop staff looked haunted. This is going to end up with some poor bastard getting killed. It's making me swear :#

Try your corner or smaller shops

I'm fucking fizzing. Been trying to do a shop for my 82 year old mum, who we've virtually welded into her flat. The shops are empty. Genuinely fuck all of any worth on the shelves. Even stuff like ketchup gone. The poor shop staff looked haunted. This is going to end up with some poor bastard getting killed. It's making me swear :#

I cannot understand why Johnson isn't acting on this aspect.
  • I'm fucking fizzing. Been trying to do a shop for my 82 year old mum, who we've virtually welded into her flat. The shops are empty. Genuinely fuck all of any worth on the shelves. Even stuff like ketchup gone. The poor shop staff looked haunted. This is going to end up with some poor bastard getting killed. It's making me swear :#

Ones empty, ones closed. Believe me, I've done some miles today.

Try the corner shops - I just walked past ours and its fully stocked, loo paper and all.
  • Public Information Broadcast on BBC1, with Chris Whitty.

This is taking me back to the 80s.
  • philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    edited March 2020

The government are going to have take some sort of action on supermarket demand, I think, when the supplies are still coming in so relatively normally for the moment. It might be that they make the amounts per customer mandatory, rather than the supermarkets.

It would be very foolish of the government to introdue a measure that they couldn't enforce. That leads to a failure on many many levels.

Some areas of the country seem much worse affected by this, like the North and Inner London.
    Those party/Brexit splits are remarkably consistent.

I guess a lockdown works both ways, so some Londoners will favour it in terms of keeping the bumpkins out.

I used to take the piss out of my father for hoarding like a doomsday prepper, he's had the last laugh, and I'm glad.
    In Los Angeles, getting fresh fruit and vegetables is pretty easy. But getting canned goods or rice or pasta is essentially impossible.

Tonight I shall make a risotto primavera, which my son will not eat.
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 22,507
    Oh London thread alert!

The risk of moronic anti London commentary is high!
  • Oh London thread alert!

Give it a rest, lad.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 49,620
    edited March 2020
    tlg86 said:

I guess a lockdown works both ways, so some Londoners will favour it in terms of keeping the bumpkins out.

You think our plague epicentre would be besieged by country folk all fighting to get in?
  • Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,821
    Apologies if this has already been posted, but I thought this article from the Economist was a superb explanation of the structure and effect of the virus, and the possible ways drugs can help treat it:

https://www.economist.com/briefing/2020/03/12/understanding-sars-cov-2-and-the-drugs-that-might-lessen-its-power

(There's a paywall, but you can sign up for free for up to five articles a month).
    edited March 2020
    philiph said:

The government are going to have take some sort of action on supermarket demand, I think, when the supplies are still coming in so relatively normally for the moment. It might be that they make the amounts per customer mandatory, rather than the supermarkets.

It would be very foolish of the government to introdue a measure that they couldn't enforce. That leads to a failure on many many levels.
    Unenforceable or half-enforceable, they may have no choice but to try. People in a number of areas rely on supermarkets and have limited access to other shops, and these are disproportionately the low-paid. These areas, like Inner London and ex-industrial northern areas, seem to be being hit particularly hard by the supermarket issues.

I used to take the piss out of my father for hoarding like a doomsday prepper, he's had the last laugh, and I'm glad.
    And to make you feel a bit better about Yo Sushi....

'Sushi parasites' have increased 283-fold in past 40 years
    https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/gcb.15048
    edited March 2020

Forgive the prying, but I'd be interested to know if small town/large town/city?

I live in the big Dorset conurbation, and around here every shop is open with no real shortages except cleaning products. The corner shops are rammed with stuff.
  • not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,389

philiph said:

Unenforceable or half-enforceable, they may have no choice but to try. People in a number of areas rely on supermarkets and have limited access to other shops, and these are disproportionately the low-paid.
    Yes. People honestly could starve if something isn’t done.
    Just secured a Sainsbury delivery. Praise the heavens.

Must have ramped up their local drivers.
    IanB2 said:

tlg86 said:

You think our plague epicentre would be besieged with country folk fighting to get in?
    No, but some Londoners might think along those lines.
    Nigelb said:

Are those the guys that get sit just to the left of you and keep grabbing the one dish you like just before it gets to you?
  • Mortimer said:

Forgive the prying, but I'd be interested to know if small town/large town/city?

I live in the big Dorset conurbation, and around here every shop is open with no real shortages except cleaning products. The corner shops are rammed with stuff.
    Loughborough and surrounding area.
  • StockyStocky Posts: 9,998
    Mortimer said:

Try the corner shops - I just walked past ours and its fully stocked, loo paper and all.
    Please can you post the address of the corner shop.
    Mortimer said:

Dorset has a conurbation? :smiley:
  • I've got a 9 roll pack of luxury bog roll. I'll swap it for 7 sachets of dried fast yeast.
  • Nigelb said:

Ewww, don't tell me stuff like that.

When this over the first place I'm visiting a sushi place.
    Separately (and probably bigger news for the long-term survival of humanity) is this paper on the discovery of a new antibiotic that has been very effective against MRSA in mice:

https://www.cell.com/cell/fulltext/S0092-8674(20)30102-1
  • another_richardanother_richard Posts: 26,235

Mortimer said:

Dorset has a conurbation? :smiley:
    Bournemouth-Poole-Christchurch.

Because it doesn't have a big city in the middle and votes Conservative its not thought of as a conurbation.
    rcs1000 said:

In Los Angeles, getting fresh fruit and vegetables is pretty easy. But getting canned goods or rice or pasta is essentially impossible.

Are you locked down? I gather from a mate that SF bay area is.
    Can I suggest the government does something about junk mail.

Reducing it would lower the risk of people getting infected from picking it up along the postal chain plus would take pressure of the mail services thus improving the chances of more important things arriving on time.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 41,276
    HYUFD said:

During the Great Plague of the 17th century of course many wealthier Londoners fled the city for the countryside, whether some follow suit today before a London lockdown remains to be seen

I'm staying. I go down with the ship. I was not born here but London has made me the man I am today. If I am to exit the stage before my time - if I will never again queue for a crepe at the Hampstead crepe van - well so be it. My ashes will grace the Heath.
  • jayfdeejayfdee Posts: 618
    I think the daily news conferences are very good, the experts are very good, and Boris is getting better, yes he waffles, but he does defer to the experts, the Chancellor is the star so far and defo future PM material.
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    edited March 2020

Missed your question a couple of threads ago - my Dad's in HDU with Covid-19. Stable but critical.

@JM1
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,873
    I really hoped that Bozo would announce the deployment of the strategic broth reserve.

Maybe tomorrow.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 77,453
    I London workers who live outside the quarantine zone will be the most in favour. The thought of getting the tube right now would fill me with dread.
    Greg Clarke very impressive on C4 News.

Why is he not in the cabinet?
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    rcs1000 said:

Orzo primavera is just as tasty and takes about a quarter of the effort.

Oh London thread alert!

Give it a rest, lad.
    If you stop the pig-ignorant anti London stuff, I’ll stop needing to make these warnings.
    Alistair said:

rcs1000 said:

But it also requires you to (a) have orzo, and (b) have a wife who eats orzo.
    kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

I'm staying. I go down with the ship. I was not born here but London has made me the man I am today. If I am to exit the stage before my time - if I will never again queue for a crepe at the Hampstead crepe van - well so be it. My ashes will grace the Heath.
    I’ll be staying.
  • jayfdeejayfdee Posts: 618
    Charles said:

Missed your question a couple of threads ago - my Dad's in HDU with Covid-19. Stable but critical.

@JM1
    Hope for the best, I lost my Dad a while back, wish you the best.
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 42,519
    rcs1000 said:

Alistair said:

rcs1000 said:

Plus where on earth are you going to get a primavera right now?
  • BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,357

TOPPING said:

rcs1000 said:

Alistair said:

rcs1000 said:

I've set a trap in my garden and am hopeful.
    Charles said:

@JM1
    Sorry to hear that. Hope the hydroxychloroquine does the trick.
  • ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,258
    kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

Me too. Londoner by inclination, not by birth. 'If I should die, think only this of me. There's some corner of a far-off town/ That is forever London'

Reducing it would lower the risk of people getting infected from picking it up along the postal chain plus would take pressure of the mail services thus improving the chances of more important things arriving on time.

Why not make the policy permanent, to include the reams of land filling propaganda that arrives on my doormat at election time?

Give it a rest, lad.
    If you stop the pig-ignorant anti London stuff, I’ll stop needing to make these warnings.
    I don't need yer warnings, yer self righteous, shandy drinking, orange juice fer breakfast, sushi munching Southern softie.
    If you can't take a bit of ribbing about the place you choose to live, you'll be a long time miserable :o

Greg Clarke very impressive on C4 News.

Why is he not in the cabinet?

He was. May's that is. He seemed like one of the few who could sit on a toilet the right way around. He doesn't fit the Johnson test.
    edited March 2020
    Barnesian said:

The graph for the South Korean progression of the outbreak stands out a mile.

Barnesian said:

When did the South Korean outbreak start ?
    Late Jan.
    rcs1000 said:

Separately (and probably bigger news for the long-term survival of humanity) is this paper on the discovery of a new antibiotic that has been very effective against MRSA in mice:

https://www.cell.com/cell/fulltext/S0092-8674(20)30102-1

MRSA

Now that's something we haven't heard much of in recent years.

But in was killing 2000+ per year in the 2000s.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/deaths/bulletins/deathsinvolvingmrsaenglandandwales/2012-08-22
  • stodgestodge Posts: 13,659
    Evening all :)

I seriously question the practicality and wisdom of a London "lockdown". It seems a huge waste of resource which could be used elsewhere.

My experience is many people are still out and about - construction sites are still going, my local Wetherspoons had all its locals in their usual places and the food shops were rammed so little evidence of self distancing or self isolation.

In any case, I've nowhere else to go.
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

I've got a 9 roll pack of luxury bog roll. I'll swap it for 7 sachets of dried fast yeast.

Find a local baker and beg a dollop of sourdough culture off them.
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,873

I've got a 9 roll pack of luxury bog roll. I'll swap it for 7 sachets of dried fast yeast.

Make roti. No need for yeast.
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    TOPPING said:

rcs1000 said:

Alistair said:

rcs1000 said:

Iceland does frozen tender stem broccoli. canned runner beans are fine with some lemon pasta. Frozen peas are as good as anything.
  • AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    I pre-empted the London lockdown by 18 months. Lock it up, I say.

Best wishes for @Charles and a speedy recovery for his father.

Oh London thread alert!

Give it a rest, lad.
    I don't need yer warnings, yer self righteous, shandy drinking, orange juice fer breakfast, sushi munching Southern softie.
    If you can't take a bit of ribbing about the place you choose to live, you'll be a long time miserable :o
    All of that stuff is fine.

It’s the moronic hating that does you down.

And sushi is lovely. Try it.
    stodge said:

I seriously question the practicality and wisdom of a London "lockdown". It seems a huge waste of resource which could be used elsewhere.

My experience is many people are still out and about - construction sites are still going, my local Wetherspoons had all its locals in their usual places and the food shops were rammed so little evidence of self distancing or self isolation.

If people carry on like that, then there will be a lockdown on Spanish levels.

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

Me too. Londoner by inclination, not by birth. 'If I should die, think only this of me. There's some corner of a far-off town/ That is forever London'
    Wouldn't that be more appropriate for a Londoner who had died elsewhere ?
  • noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 22,164

Why not make the policy permanent, to include the reams of land filling propaganda that arrives on my doormat at election time?
    And the unwanted phone calls. Charge them £1 a call, if the firms dont pay, pass it on to the networks, they will find a way to stop them very quickly!
  • twistedfirestopper3twistedfirestopper3 Posts: 2,372
    edited March 2020
    IshmaelZ said:

We do sourdough, a local micro brewery flogs the yeast off initsshop now and again. I've kept it alive for nearly a year. I've had shorter living pets!

Nigelb said:

I stopped eating sushi after I advised the owners of the world's top aquaculture company when they sold the business.

Did you know that fish have lice?

https://responsibleaquaculture.wordpress.com/2014/03/08/more-sea-lice-outbreaks-in-chilean-fish-farms/
    jayfdee said:

Charles said:

@JM1
    Hope for the best, I lost my Dad a while back, wish you the best.
    Thanks

Give it a rest, lad.
    All of that stuff is fine.

It’s the moronic hating that does you down.

And sushi is lovely. Try it.
    I'm not sure I've have ever really dropped a mega hate bomb on the Smoke. You might prove me wrong.
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 27,124
    Cheltenham is the dog that has not yet barked in the nighttime. Controversially, the Cheltenham Festival (horseracing) went ahead last week, with four days of 70,000-strong crowds from Britain and Ireland.

It will be interesting to see how many cases there will be over the next week or two affecting racegoers.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 77,453
    Deepest sympathies to @Charles, in the centre of this maelstrom in the most hideous way.

I pre-empted the London lockdown by 18 months. Lock it up, I say.

Best wishes for @Charles and a speedy recovery for his father.

Thanks
  • Can I suggest the government does something about junk mail.

It would act as toilet roll substitute though.

And the unwanted phone calls. Charge them £1 a call, if the firms dont pay, pass it on to the networks, they will find a way to stop them very quickly!
    Great idea.
    rcs1000 said:

Barnesian said:

Late Jan.
    And what is going on in Japan ?
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-03-19/a-coronavirus-explosion-was-expected-in-japan-where-is-it
  • FloaterFloater Posts: 14,207

stodge said:

If people carry on like that, then there will be a lockdown on Spanish levels.
    and many more deaths - stupid buggers
    Pulpstar said:

Deepest sympathies to @Charles, in the centre of this maelstrom in the most hideous way.

Thanks
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

IshmaelZ said:

We do sourdough, a local micro brewery flogs the yeast off initsshop now and again. I've kept it alive for nearly a year. I've had shorter living pets!
    I think mine is 7 or 8 by now, once you have got them going they seem pretty immortal.
    Charles said:

Nigelb said:

I stopped eating sushi after I advised the owners of the world's top aquaculture company when they sold the business.

https://responsibleaquaculture.wordpress.com/2014/03/08/more-sea-lice-outbreaks-in-chilean-fish-farms/
    Fussy eater.
    Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

Barnesian said:

Late Jan.
    And what is going on in Japan ?
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-03-19/a-coronavirus-explosion-was-expected-in-japan-where-is-it
    The Japanese are also scrupulous about hygiene, which may play a role in slowing its spread.

Nigelb said:

Sorry about that.
    I love sushi, too.
  • Charles said:

Nigelb said:

Stop it, don't ruin sushi for me.

Seriously thought all the best for your father.
  • dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,300
    I hope your father @Charles makes a speedy recovery.
    Charles

Sorry to hear about your father, just read back on the thread. Hoping for a swift recovery.
This discussion has been closed.