Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » If there is a London lockdown then YouGov finds it would have

Comments

• HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 121,106
    edited March 2020
    Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

HYUFD said:

The government has already provided £300 billion of loans and even if the government paid every person £1000 for 3 months I expect some hospitality businesses would still sack people knowing that would not last for ever and they would face a big rise in their costs and tax bill to pay for it.

The government is not a magician, it cannot make everybody's lives perfect at every time it just has to find the best outcome at each time for the most number. At the moment that is advising avoiding unnecessary travel and visits to restaurants and hotels etc due to the health risks and that will have costs too.

Plus no doubt once this crisis is over even Britannia Hotels will be hiring again
    I'm embarrassed to be in the same political party as you. Thankfully Boris and Rishi don't think the same way.
    Even if they paid those who lost their jobs 60% of the median wage as the Times suggests that is not 100% of the median wage is it so that does not really defeat the point.

We are in a difficult time, tough decisions need to be made and the government cannot afford to pay for everything otherwise the country will go bankrupt with taxpayers left to pick up the pieces.

I of course could not give a toss what anyone thinks of my views, I will express them however regardless and in a polite manner
    Of course you don't but you claim to be a conservative when in truth you are miles away from Boris liberal attitude and just spout hard right hurtful and unacceptable views to people and families who are suffering extraordinary stress

Fortunately you are in a minorit y in the party
    I object to that I am hard right and fiscally and find him a callous and odious individual lacking empathy
    On no definition are you 'hard right fiscally', you would not even be in the right of New Labour let alone the Tories
    Why are you talking to me? I told you that you are a troll I have no intention to respond to so go away
    Gladly if you are just going to be abusive
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,539
    edited March 2020
    delete
  • alterego said:

RobD said:

Question. The United Kingdom issues debt denominated in Pounds Sterling. The UK is the sole nation who controls the quantity of Pounds Sterling. Should the UK owe a hypothetical £100bn repayment and is short of Pounds Sterling it can simply create more Pounds Sterling to make the payment.

It is literally impossible for a fiscally sovereign nation to go "bankrupt". We cannot run out of fiat notes which we print. Why does HYUFD make such fact free statements and why does he think the good burghers of PB.com are the unquestioning clueless simpletons who believe statements like we could go bankrupt?

Wouldn't it go bankrupt if it couldn't pay its debt which may be denominated in other currencies?
    The suggestion is printing say half a trillion of Pounds and handing it to UK companies and subjects all of whom buy products and services in Pounds and most importantly pay their taxes in Pounds. Difficult to make the country go bust if you help taxes come to you.
    You really are extremely stupid
    HYUFD's sock puppet? Fabulous!
  • Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 9,763

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

The government has already provided £300 billion of loans and even if the government paid every person £1000 for 3 months I expect some hospitality businesses would still sack people knowing that would not last for ever and they would face a big rise in their costs and tax bill to pay for it.

The government is not a magician, it cannot make everybody's lives perfect at every time it just has to find the best outcome at each time for the most number. At the moment that is advising avoiding unnecessary travel and visits to restaurants and hotels etc due to the health risks and that will have costs too.

Plus no doubt once this crisis is over even Britannia Hotels will be hiring again
    Whether anyone will want to actually work for them though....
    That was an extraordinary statement even by HYUFD's obtuse standards.
    Yes, I know stating facts has to be howled down with over emotion and abuse by the left but tough, economic reality is economic reality
    I am not on the left and am a member of the conservative party

I have compassion for all those losing their jobs and expect the chancellor to address it tomorrow

Some of your posts are penned through either lack of empathy or ignorance of why people are suffering
    You voted for Blair twice when a third of the country voted Tory, you are vaguely centrist/centre right, no more.

If I was really 'lacking empathy' I would have opposed no bailout loans at all, no statutory sick pay, no temporary UBI if we go to lockdown etc as I did this morning.

It really is pathetic that some on here are unable to have a debate without resorting to abuse at anyone who says anything outside of what they deem to be an 'acceptable' worldview
    You are isolating yourself from mainstream conservatives on here and in the country

I am not centre right and never have been.

I am towards the centre left of the conservative party, voting for Blair twice gives you a clue
    Last time I checked suggesting Thatcherite views was not illegal.

The fact is whatever the government does the left will always decry the 'wicked' Tories starving the poor to death.

Even if Sunak promised every person in the country for the duration of the crisis a detached house in Surrey, a Mercedes and M & S food delivered on tap, the left would say it should be a mansion, a Rolls and Michelin starred food delivered, merely as it was a Tory chancellor delivering it. If you want to fall into that trap that is up to you
    No.

I just want to be kinder and show caring for others in distress
    This is a national emergency, just like war one of the few times you need big government
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 27,551
    Denspark said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Yes, I know stating facts has to be howled down with over emotion and abuse by the left but tough, economic reality is economic reality
    I am not that much of the left these days, but heyho.

The action of Brittania Hotels was almost as brutal as their dog-eared premises. Your response does not show Boris' Barmy Army in a positive light. Please think of how that plays out in the households of those affected.

I am quite comfortable these days and can weather the storm for years if needed. Not many years ago something like this would have taken me to the edge of financial despair. Just think about it!
    Your reference to 'dog eared' suddenly made me think of a place near Basingstoke I stayed in a few years ago. I just checked. It is indeed one of theirs.
    THey are quite horrible hotels! I stayed in one in Bournemouth once about ten years ago. At just £33 per night it was £32.50 too much!

I travel a lot with work and about the only rule on accommodation i have is "never stay at a britannia hotel" . Had some dreadful stays at different hotels of theirs over the years.
    Being self employed I try to go cheap as whatever I pay is off my bottom line for the job. Britannia tend to buy slightly tired hotels from IMG or the like and then run them into the ground. I tend to use Holiday Inn Express.

I have stayed in a Green King pub near Heanor which was like the half-way house from The Shawshank Redemption. That was worse than Britannia!
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 42,519
    edited March 2020

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

FFS!
    Just callous and uncaring comments
    Should I apologise to HYUFD?
    As should the employees that Britannia are unceremonially throwing onto the street.
    They should be grateful there's a street for them to be thrown out onto!

Edit: ...a street out onto for them to be thrown?
    ....a street out there for them to be thrown onto?
    ...a street out there, onto which they can be thrown.
    Referee, he used a comma!

VAR.....
    To be fair, his was a sentence into which he need not have inserted a comma.
    The employee, having been about to be thrown onto the streets.

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

HYUFD said:

I'm embarrassed to be in the same political party as you. Thankfully Boris and Rishi don't think the same way.
    Even if they paid those who lost their jobs 60% of the median wage as the Times suggests that is not 100% of the median wage is it so that does not really defeat the point.

We are in a difficult time, tough decisions need to be made and the government cannot afford to pay for everything otherwise the country will go bankrupt with taxpayers left to pick up the pieces.

I of course could not give a toss what anyone thinks of my views, I will express them however regardless and in a polite manner
    Of course you don't but you claim to be a conservative when in truth you are miles away from Boris liberal attitude and just spout hard right hurtful and unacceptable views to people and families who are suffering extraordinary stress

Yes keep spouting meaningless emotive platitudes BigG without actually answering any of my points
    Upsetting you is it, but not half as upsetting to the millions losing their jobs and reading your 'tripe'
    Still no facts
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 34,383

Denspark said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

The action of Brittania Hotels was almost as brutal as their dog-eared premises. Your response does not show Boris' Barmy Army in a positive light. Please think of how that plays out in the households of those affected.

I am quite comfortable these days and can weather the storm for years if needed. Not many years ago something like this would have taken me to the edge of financial despair. Just think about it!
    Your reference to 'dog eared' suddenly made me think of a place near Basingstoke I stayed in a few years ago. I just checked. It is indeed one of theirs.
    THey are quite horrible hotels! I stayed in one in Bournemouth once about ten years ago. At just £33 per night it was £32.50 too much!

I travel a lot with work and about the only rule on accommodation i have is "never stay at a britannia hotel" . Had some dreadful stays at different hotels of theirs over the years.
    Being self employed I try to go cheap as whatever I pay is off my bottom line for the job. Britannia tend to buy slightly tired hotels from IMG or the like and then run them into the ground. I tend to use Holiday Inn Express.

I have stayed in a Green King pub near Heanor which was like the half-way house from The Shawshank Redemption. That was worse than Britannia!
    Hopefully without the beam?
  • alteregoalterego Posts: 1,100

Newsnight. No Tory minister available to discuss the biggest national crisis since the War.

BBC boooooo. Boycott. It's not like there are any issues that need to be talked about.
    Anybody worth talking to is tonight putting together the biggest assistance package for the less fortunate in society this country has ever seen. You'd rather they left those meetings to go and have some pillock on Newsnight try and get a Gotcha! would you?

We can leave aside the generalities of the Tory/BBC spat for another time. But in this specific instance, just drop it....
    that's far too sensible to get any traction
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 21,394

Andy_JS said:

If people continue to insist on panic buying, the police or army will have to be brought in to make sure it doesn't happen. Disappointing.

But it is what they are panic buying that is informative. On a list in the Telegraph, 9 items ranks higher than bog rolls. Including tomato soup and spaghetti hoops.

Supermarkets only need to limit a handful of items to "2 max". The rest of it will balance out, once people have bought enough pot noodles to hunker down with.
    The spaghetti hoops, that’s my youngest son’s fault. For some bizarre reason, he loves them. We bought all the hoops. Sorry.
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 22,507

HYUFD world "the government HAVE ALREADY PROVIDED £300 billion in loans"
    Real world: £330 billion announced with the details NEXT WEEK.

Not A Fucking Penny has been provided. Not one. Set aside the casual callous fuck you nature of Comedy HYUFD's statement. It's simply not true. It's false. Wrong. Bollocks. A lie. Blatant propaganda that even your fellow Tories are laughing at.

Do keep it up. A wonderful advert for Alexander Boris de pfeffel how many children do I have Johnson's kind of Conservatism

Indeed so, and the loans are only guaranteed at 80% by the government, so businesses facing a critical state due a complete destruction of their customer base still have to secure 20% of the cash. Yet HYUFD, who provably has absolutely zero business acumen whatsoever, thinks this is powerful enough for a once in a century crisis.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,773
    Day 3 in the Big Bother Lockdown House. And despite a 52% rating in the polls, the Tories in there are knocking lumps outta each other.....
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,644

Broth tomorrow!

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I have compassion for all those losing their jobs and expect the chancellor to address it tomorrow

Some of your posts are penned through either lack of empathy or ignorance of why people are suffering
    You voted for Blair twice when a third of the country voted Tory, you are vaguely centrist/centre right, no more.

If I was really 'lacking empathy' I would have opposed no bailout loans at all, no statutory sick pay, no temporary UBI if we go to lockdown etc as I did this morning.

It really is pathetic that some on here are unable to have a debate without resorting to abuse at anyone who says anything outside of what they deem to be an 'acceptable' worldview
    You are isolating yourself from mainstream conservatives on here and in the country

I am towards the centre left of the conservative party, voting for Blair twice gives you a clue

The fact is whatever the government does the left will always decry the 'wicked' Tories starving the poor to death.

Even if Sunak promised every person in the country for the duration of the crisis a detached house in Surrey, a Mercedes and M & S food delivered on tap, the left would say it should be a mansion, a Rolls and Michelin starred food delivered, merely as it was a Tory chancellor delivering it. If you want to fall into that trap that is up to you
    No.

I just want to be kinder and show caring for others in distress
    Fine but a few factual arguments rather than just ranting at me would also help
    Dow Jones above 20,000, FSTE100 above 5,000.

Is this the light at the beginning of the Depression?

Denspark said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I stayed in a hotel room in the middle of China many years ago which still had on the carpet the bloodstains of the investment banker who had been murdered there several weeks earlier.

Several pieces of furniture went up against the door that night.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,251
    RobD said:

Question. The United Kingdom issues debt denominated in Pounds Sterling. The UK is the sole nation who controls the quantity of Pounds Sterling. Should the UK owe a hypothetical £100bn repayment and is short of Pounds Sterling it can simply create more Pounds Sterling to make the payment.

It is literally impossible for a fiscally sovereign nation to go "bankrupt". We cannot run out of fiat notes which we print. Why does HYUFD make such fact free statements and why does he think the good burghers of PB.com are the unquestioning clueless simpletons who believe statements like we could go bankrupt?

Wouldn't it go bankrupt if it couldn't pay its debt which may be denominated in other currencies?
    And the UK government does have dollar and Euro denominated debt (not a lot, but a bit). It may also have Yen or CHF debt.
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

The left don't have a clue about the size of Surrey.

I would point out that Iceland went bust with its own currency, and Hungary almost did.
    edited March 2020
    Jonathan said:

Andy_JS said:

If people continue to insist on panic buying, the police or army will have to be brought in to make sure it doesn't happen. Disappointing.

But it is what they are panic buying that is informative. On a list in the Telegraph, 9 items ranks higher than bog rolls. Including tomato soup and spaghetti hoops.

Supermarkets only need to limit a handful of items to "2 max". The rest of it will balance out, once people have bought enough pot noodles to hunker down with.
    The spaghetti hoops, that’s my youngest son’s fault. For some bizarre reason, he loves them. We bought all the hoops. Sorry.
    You're welcome to them :wink:

I was 16 in the 1970s before I learnt you buy dried pasta.

Though why anyone would take the spaghetti out of tins, clean the sauce off, and then dry it for future use was beyond me.

Day 3 in the Big Bother Lockdown House. And despite a 52% rating in the polls, the Tories in there are knocking lumps outta each other.....

On 52% the Tories cover everyone from those who voted for Blair to those who voted for IDS and Hague, so obviously will not agree on everything
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

You presumably work in a very safe public sector job. Many company owners and employees in frontline private sector service businesses are facing destitution through no fault of their own. The soft quarantine is a (necessary) downside market intervention by government that needs to be counterbalanced on the upside by government.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 59,583
    Am I confused about what the term "per capita" means.
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

HYUFD said:

Yes keep spouting meaningless emotive platitudes BigG without actually answering any of my points
    Upsetting you is it, but not half as upsetting to the millions losing their jobs and reading your 'tripe'
    Still no facts
    HYUFD, I read what you say with interest, and I value your insight into what makes Conservatives and the wider electorate tick. Your analysis of Johnson's appeal to the electorate was spot on- even if naysayers like me couldn't (and can't) see it.

Your statements tonight are unfortunately just plain ridiculous.
    edited March 2020
    TOPPING said:

Denspark said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I stayed in a hotel room in the middle of China many years ago which still had on the carpet the bloodstains of the investment banker who had been murdered there several weeks earlier.

You are @eadric, and I claim my £5. :smiley:
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 80,424
    Given the tweets I have seen, there doesn't seem to be any shortages on Hawaiian pizzas.
    edited March 2020

Not A Fucking Penny has been provided. Not one. Set aside the casual callous fuck you nature of Comedy HYUFD's statement. It's simply not true. It's false. Wrong. Bollocks. A lie. Blatant propaganda that even your fellow Tories are laughing at.

Do keep it up. A wonderful advert for Alexander Boris de pfeffel how many children do I have Johnson's kind of Conservatism

Indeed so, and the loans are only guaranteed at 80% by the government, so businesses facing a critical state due a complete destruction of their customer base still have to secure 20% of the cash. Yet HYUFD, who provably has absolutely zero business acumen whatsoever, thinks this is powerful enough for a once in a century crisis.
    As I said even if Sunak announced a detached house in Surrey with a Mercedes thrown in for everyone it would still not be enough for the left, who would give anything as long as someone else pays for it!

Given the tweets I have seen, there doesn't seem to be any shortages on Hawaiian pizzas.

Thank heavens we invested in the strategic hawaiian pizza reserve, enough to keep them in stock in supermarkets throughout the realm.
    Given Pence is Trump's bridge to the Evangelical right, it's a bit of a risk for Trump to jettison someone so loyal.
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,873
    Boeing, Boeing, Gone?

Andy_JS said:

Isn't it just a case of urgently moving stock from warehouses to garages with issues around achieving that urgently?
    TOPPING said:

Denspark said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I can assure you The Midland Hotel, Ripley was less appealing!
  • DensparkDenspark Posts: 68

Denspark said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

im usually on the company tab but am a tight fisted grasping scot who enjoys not spending money and the clients like it......
    I don't mind cheap and cheerful (ive a soft spot for the discovery hotel in leeds) but the britannia hotels are just awful.

Last time i stayed in one , i got a smoking room and the cleaners hadnt bothered to empty the ashtray from the previous guest which made me wonder about the bed linen......
    RobD said:

Am I confused about what the term "per capita" means.
    So, apparently, is DyannaHoage.

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

HYUFD said:

Still no facts
    HYUFD, I read what you say with interest, and I value your insight into what makes Conservatives and the wider electorate tick. Your analysis of Johnson's appeal to the electorate was spot on- even if naysayers like me couldn't (and can't) see it.

Your statements tonight are unfortunately just plain ridiculous.
    Well fine, thankyou for the first paragraph but I don't pretend everything I post people will like or agree with
    rcs1000 said:

Given Pence is Trump's bridge to the Evangelical right, it's a bit of a risk for Trump to jettison someone so loyal.
    Indeed. I guess Kristol is being flippant. He absolutely hates Trump.
    edited March 2020
    One part of the messaging that I haven't heard any of the ministers or egg-heads mention....at what point should we be calling 999 / trying to get our loved ones to hospital.

I think there needs to be a simple 3-4 step, if you match these criteria, you need to seek hospital treatment. We don't want the system overloaded with people turning up too early* and obviously we don't want oldies thinking I'll be ok in a day or two.

With all the experiences now, there must be some idea at what stage they know this is going to get really bad for somebody.

* I have really bad pneumonia couple of years ago and sort hospital treatment, but I would say in the current circumstances I could have got through at home rather than bed block.
    Tonight it appears the term "Jam Tomorrow" truly applies for once.
    alterego said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

The left don't have a clue about the size of Surrey.
    Maybe not, but I know it has a fringe on top.
    edited March 2020

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

You presumably work in a very safe public sector job. Many company owners and employees in frontline private sector service businesses are facing destitution through no fault of their own. The soft quarantine is a (necessary) downside market intervention by government that needs to be counterbalanced on the upside by government.
    To an extent, however if you spend like there is a bottomless pit on the downside the tax rises businesses and consumers need to pay for it will likely mean there will never be an upside

One part of the messaging that I haven't heard any of the ministers or egg-heads mention....at what point should we be calling 999 / trying to get our loved ones to hospital.

I think there needs to be a simple 3-4 step, if you match these criteria, you need to seek hospital treatment. We don't want the system overloaded with people turning up too early* and obviously we don't want oldies thinking I'll be ok in a day or two.

With all the experiences now, there must be some idea at what stage they know this is going to get really bad for somebody.

* I have really bad pneumonia couple of years ago and sort hospital treatment, but I would say in the current circumstances I could have got through at home rather than bed block.

It's a very good point, something the government needs to make crystal clear.

I hope at the very least it is Bonne Maman...
    Jonathan said:

Andy_JS said:

I initially thought you finished with "in Surrey". Sorry.
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

To an extent, however if you spend like there is a bottomless pit on the downside the tax rises needed to pay for it will likely mean there will never be an upside
    We didn't do all that badly after WW2... eventually!
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,876
    Jonathan said:

Andy_JS said:

The spaghetti hoops, that’s my youngest son’s fault. For some bizarre reason, he loves them....
    No loose ends ... ?

Jonathan said:

Andy_JS said:

Though why anyone would take the spaghetti out of tins, clean the sauce off, and then dry it for future use was beyond me.
    Lasagne sheets can be soaked in water overnight then used in lieu of bog roll.
    That must be why it is selling out.

Night all. Stay safe.
    edited March 2020

TOPPING said:

Denspark said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

You are @eadric, and I claim my £5. :smiley:
    Yep it's me.

Indeed, definitely the best commercial jam by a long shot.

(Damn, those French are good at food.)
    RobD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

To an extent, however if you spend like there is a bottomless pit on the downside the tax rises needed to pay for it will likely mean there will never be an upside
    We didn't do all that badly after WW2... eventually!
    Post WW2 most key industries were nationalised for 40 years and even then there was not spending of 100% of gdp
    edited March 2020

Indeed, definitely the best commercial jam by a long shot.

(Damn, those French are good at food.)
    We have standards on this site!
    rcs1000 said:

I would point out that Iceland went bust with its own currency, and Hungary almost did.
    But they're still quoted
    Two hunters are out in the woods when one of them collapses. He doesn't seem to be breathing and his eyes are glazed. The other guy whips out his phone and calls the emergency services. He gasps, "My friend is dead! What can I do?" The operator says, "Calm down. I can help. First, let's make sure he's dead." There is a silence; then a gun shot is heard. Back on the phone, the guy says, "OK, now what?"

For some reason, this thread reminds me of that joke.
  • Gabs3Gabs3 Posts: 836
    rcs1000 said:

More importantly, why would Haley do this? Trump is toxic and likely to lose. Does she really want to be out there defending him every day during this crisis?

Denspark said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Fortunately no, the temptation to use it would have been hard to resist, it was that grim.
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    rcs1000 said:

And the UK got an imf bailout.

Denspark said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Fortunately no, the temptation to use it would have been hard to resist, it was that grim.
    Dear me. The worst hotel I ever stayed in was in North Wales (sorry Big_G) and had, until a few months before our visit, been a care home.

Still had the alarm boxes on the wall and a certain lingering smell...
  • dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,300
    edited March 2020
    HYUFD said:

As I said even if Sunak announced a detached house in Surrey with a Mercedes thrown in for everyone it would still not be enough for the left, who would give anything as long as someone else pays for it!
    You are being childish. You cannot see that the lockdown is a direct government intervention in the market that requires a direct balancing countermeasure in order to restore equilibrium. You have precisely zero understanding of business, even less so economics. It’s not a left/right matter as many if not most Tories also support a major fiscal countermeasure. Everyone, as it is often said, is a socialist in a crisis. This is a war time footing, not a peace-time market guided by the invisible hand. The hand has broken by the lockdown.
    dr_spyn said:
    Number of voters infected =

Bravo!

I've had similar pneumonia experiences, twice. For clarity, I should add that I'm not from Yorkshire.
    alterego said:

I've had similar pneumonia experiences, twice. For clarity, I should add that I'm not from Yorkshire.
    Uh??
    If we are heading down the world’s worst hotels meme, the Britannia Sachas in Manchester was a memorably hideous.
    edited March 2020
    I hope the Oxford bods aren't over promising...they are talking about months, rather than years.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2020/mar/19/uk-drive-develop-coronavirus-vaccine-science

Jonathan said:

Andy_JS said:

Lasagne sheets can be soaked in water overnight then used in lieu of bog roll.
    That must be why it is selling out.

Night all. Stay safe.
    How did you find that out?
  • Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 9,763

HYUFD said:

You are being childish. You cannot see that the lockdown is a direct government intervention in the market that requires a direct balancing countermeasure in order to restore equilibrium. You have precisely zero understanding of business, even less so economics. It’s not a left/right matter as many if not most Tories also support a major fiscal countermeasure. Everyone, as it is often said, is a socialist in a crisis. This is a war time footing, not a peace-time market guided by the invisible hand. The hand has broken by the lockdown.
    Even those of us slightly to the left of full on libertarian are saying big government is now neccessary for the duration of the emergency
    US catching up with the UK now on cases per million population (42 versus 48).

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

@rcs1000 Are you still based in LA? Is the US response really as disjointed as it appears to be?

alterego said:

Uh??
    https://youtu.be/ue7wM0QC5LE
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

To an extent, however if you spend like there is a bottomless pit on the downside the tax rises businesses and consumers need to pay for it will likely mean there will never be an upside
    Never been a upside? No. The economy will recover eventually. But your tentative approach to fiscal measures would see millions in utter misery and destroy hundreds if not thousands of viable business caught in a short term trap by an act of God.
    alterego said:

alterego said:

Uh??
    Ah - apols for missing that reference.

alterego said:

alterego said:

Uh??
    Ah - apols for missing that reference.
    Pleased to have an excuse to see the sketch (or one brilliant version of it) again. It's infinitely adaptable.
    edited March 2020

Denspark said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Dear me. The worst hotel I ever stayed in was in North Wales (sorry Big_G) and had, until a few months before our visit, been a care home.

Many (30) years ago I worked for a Bradford based company that had a satellite operation in a pit village near Pontefract. We used to stay in decent hotels like The Great Victoria Hotel in Bradford. A new manager, in order to make a name for himself booked us into the village pub. The £12 a night twin room I had to share with a colleague was noteable for having had a mirror ripped from the wall and a sizeable chunk removed from the hand basin.

At dinner we were surprised at the quality of the dining room. One of my colleagues commented to the waiter that it was a pleasant dining area. The waiter retorted, 'ay, shame no bugger around here can use a knife and fork!'

That was the worst anywhere- ever!
    edited March 2020
    Interesting point made in this clip, if there had been an immediate shut down, lots on unintended consequences, things like restaurants would be full of food that then rots and causes rats etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ut4OcTogtac

I wonder if the nudge, nudge, nudge is aimed with part of this in mind. Get the economic stuff in place so people don't have to work and then shut much more down?

Denspark said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Many (30 years) years ago I worked for a Bradford based company that had a satellite operation in a pit village near Pontefract. We used to stay in decent hotels like The Great Victoria Hotel in Bradford, A new manager in order to make a name for himself booked us into the village pub. The £12 a night room I had to share with a colleague was noteable for having had a mirror ripped from the wall and a sizeable chunk removed from the hand basin.

At dinner we were surprised at the quality of the dining room. One of my colleagues commented to the waiter that it was a pleasant dining area. The waiter retorted, 'ay, shame no bugger around here can use a knife and fork!'

I won't post a four Yorkshiremen sketch again.
    alterego said:

Denspark said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Many (30 years) years ago I worked for a Bradford based company that had a satellite operation in a pit village near Pontefract. We used to stay in decent hotels like The Great Victoria Hotel in Bradford, A new manager in order to make a name for himself booked us into the village pub. The £12 a night room I had to share with a colleague was noteable for having had a mirror ripped from the wall and a sizeable chunk removed from the hand basin.

A cardboard box on the Motorway would have been luxury, by comparison!

alterego said:

Denspark said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

stop it!
    I'm to my bed. Nighty, night

alterego said:

Denspark said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

You had a motorway ??
    Nigelb said:

alterego said:

Denspark said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

You had a motorway ??
    I'm not going there...
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,975
    edited March 2020
    The Tories 52% poll rating means nothing. This crisis will lead to massive swing to the left IMO.

I think its odds on that Labour wins the 2024 UK general election now.
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,269
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Thanks for the comments fpt.

What this and the previous thread have proved beyond any reasonable doubt is that @HYUFD has absolutely zero understanding of business, finance or economics.

Unfortunately, Sunak - or his advisors - do not seem much better. Those loans need to be converted to grants PDQ. Some form of UBI needs to be put in place for individuals PDQ too. If the Treasury does not do this then Sunak is another pretty face joining the “didn’t have what it takes” club.

If the government sucks demand out of the economy for health reasons it has to put it back in if it wants to avoid an economically - and socially - catastrophic crash of the economy.

(BTW I know quite a lot about the activities of the hedge fund where the young Mr Sunak worked for a while and made his millions. If that is where he learnt about the economy I am not surprised he has been a little slow on the uptake about what is happening. You can safely assume that what I know about that fund’s activities does not reflect at all well on it.)

US catching up with the UK now on cases per million population (42 versus 48).

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

@rcs1000 Are you still based in LA? Is the US response really as disjointed as it appears to be?

California projects 56 percent of population will be infected with coronavirus over 8-week period
    https://thehill.com/policy/defense/488547-california-projects-56-percent-of-the-population-will-be-infected-over-8-week

Even allowing for a touch of exaggeration, those would be scary figures.

OTOH, the new lockdown in (for example) Santa Clara in the Bay Area is far more draconian than anything in the UK so far (non essential workers confined to their homes).
  • AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    edited March 2020
    Coventry result FWIIW

Lab 639
    Con 360
    Green 120
    Socialist Alternative (Nellist's wife) 101

Lab hold
    Time for Bernie to bow to the inevitable, surely ?
    GIN1138 said:

The Tories 52% poll rating means nothing. This crisis will lead to massive swing to the left IMO.

I think its odds on that Labour wins the 2024 UK general election.

Hmmm. Remember Emma Dent Coad wants an experienced LOTO to stay on to hold Boris to account!

And if Dom can confine Coronavirus to Labour wards in marginal seats I wouldn't be so sure.
    edited March 2020

Coventry result FWIIW

Lab 639
    Con 360
    Green 120

Lab hold

Socialist Alternative marching towards government!

Where is Dave now?
    Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

What this and the previous thread have proved beyond any reasonable doubt is that @HYUFD has absolutely zero understanding of business, finance or economics.

Unfortunately, Sunak - or his advisors - do not seem much better. Those loans need to be converted to grants PDQ. Some form of UBI needs to be put in place for individuals PDQ too. If the Treasury does not do this then Sunak is another pretty face joining the “didn’t have what it takes” club.

If the government sucks demand out of the economy for health reasons it has to put it back in if it wants to avoid an economically - and socially - catastrophic crash of the economy.

(BTW I know quite a lot about the activities of the hedge fund where the young Mr Sunak worked for a while and made his millions. If that is where he learnt about the economy I am not surprised he has been a little slow on the uptake about what is happening. You can safely assume that what I know about that fund’s activities does not reflect at all well on it.)

Interesting.

If we are heading down the world’s worst hotels meme, the Britannia Sachas in Manchester was a memorably hideous.

It is just like Mornington Crescent for hotels. We started at Britannia Hotels and returned there via a series of other equally dire accomodation options.
    US politicians proving yet again that they will bow to no one in their pursuit of utter stupidity....

https://www.ajc.com/news/state--regional-govt--politics/georgia-state-senator-tests-positive-for-coronavirus/
    All of Georgia’s state lawmakers were urged Wednesday to self-isolate themselves for weeks after a state senator who participated in a Monday vote disclosed he tested positive for the disease caused by coronavirus.

State Sen. Brandon Beach said he was screened for the disease Saturday when he sought medical attention for a cough and mild fever, but that the test results didn’t arrive until Wednesday. In between, the Alpharetta Republican said he felt healthy enough to join dozens of legislators, staff members and reporters for a one-day special legislative session at the Capitol to grant Gov. Brian Kemp broad powers to respond to the pandemic. ...

Coventry result FWIIW

Lab 639
    Con 360
    Green 120

Lab hold

I used to confuse Nellist with Corbyn. Has anyone ever seen them in the same room together?
  • eggegg Posts: 1,749
    Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

To be fair, to HY and the government, they simply can’t. There isn’t any where near the amount of money either in liquidity or borrowing to stop the lay offs, business collapse, spike in unemployment, especially the service sector. In fact it’s not just temporary, many of the hotels and shops will re emerge as flats. The danger the government must manage is giving the impression they can help the workers a great deal with pay or saving jobs, and tomorrow’s newspapers don’t help with that messaging, if anything that’s where the governments failing, expectation management.

Dangle the provocative picture in front of HY and Rishi as much as you like, their answer has to be there’s limits.
  • ChameleonChameleon Posts: 4,264
    edited March 2020
    Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I don't think that a blanket converting of the loans to grants would be necessary, but rather make sure that they can only be secured against company assets, not things like houses of the owners, and the interest charged should be nominal.

And yes, I agree on the UBI, it is a necessity, bar much else I know that a very large number of students will be unable to pay their rent in two months.

Scrimping on spending now would be penny wise pound foolish. If managed well this should be a bit of a v-shaped recession, managed badly...

In an ideal world they'd find a clever way of dispensing £1000 a month for every adult for the next 3 months in such a way that it had to be spent before September (vouchers?) to avoid people hoarding it.
  • eggegg Posts: 1,749
    Not the greatest day in U.K. history is it. Instead of stiff upper lip it’s more defy the advice and go to the pub. If anyone says we’ve done more panic buying than Italy, the truth is there is no such thing as panic buying, this has been greedy thoughtless anti social buying.

Johnson needs to bang the lectern tomorrow and say he’s angry. If he does it doesn’t matter how many doors he is behind in the Downing Street bunker, he will hear the nation applauding.
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,269
    Nigelb said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Interesting.
    There is a surprisingly direct link to the GFC and how it developed in Britain. Over a coffee one day ...... :)

Sunak is bright but he has lived and worked all his life in a bubble with little knowledge of how businesses, especially SMEs, work and what they need. Ditto most, probably, all the Treasury boffins and advisers around him. Even the BoE’s efforts have been criticised in the same way. Groupthink writ large.

They are fighting the last war. Eventually one hopes they will get it right. But by then a lot of damage will have been done.

That damage is avoidable if they listened to - well, not weirdos and misfits - but people with some clear-sightedness, common-sense and actual knowledge of the world beyond Central London and how it works. They could do with listening to their own Tory MPs today who have told them that their loan scheme is pants.
This discussion has been closed.