Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Compulsory house arrest for the 70+group risks causing seconda

123457»

Comments

• Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    Regardless of whether the document has been reported accurately or not, it is hugely irresponsible to publish it without Government comment.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,831

Foxy said:

IshmaelZ said:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2020/03/15/anguished-cry-nhs-front-line-coronavirus-explode-among-medical/

Consultant cardiologist on lack of testing and protection of medical staff within hospitals. grim.

Reads fairly true to me. Especially the shortage of PPE.
    I don’t understand why the government is not doing everything to get PPE and test kits to hospitals? Couldn’t you use the army? Surely it’s come hell or high water...
    I think PPE is just unobtainable. I hope there is some strategic government reserve somewhere, it would be reassuring! Otherwise that warning time was squandered.

My department WhatsApp group is beginning to get a bit windy!
  • Options
    ukpaulukpaul Posts: 649
    TOPPING said:

ukpaul said:

rcs1000 said:

Foxy said:

JM1 said:

Foxy said:

@JM1

I am slightly confused by the Icelandic paper, and unclear exactly who they have been testing. Half the infected cases had picked it up abroad, which shouldn't be the case if it was prevalent through local spread.

I don't think it says anything about local spread. What it does suggest is that many asymptomatic cases might exist that don't display any or extremely mild symptoms. Hence, if they infer one percent of the population carry the virus but only 0.05% of the total population (20 times less) in the at risk group carry the virus it is evidence of many mild cases (the iceberg effect Gideon mentions).
    Yes, but unless a very high proportion of Icelanders have been overseas in the last month we have an unrepresentative sample.

So encouraging, but I am not sure if possible to extrapolate, even within Iceland.
    To be fair, if I was from Iceland I'd spend an awful lot of time abroad.
    It's beautiful! Great arts and music scene as well.
    Very high suicide rate. Not fun apparently for everyone to live there although yes for a tourist for a couple of weeks it's great.
    Cold, isolated, some people will hate that but it's perfect for me. If I had the chance to live anywhere else it would be Iceland.
  • Options
    DAlexanderDAlexander Posts: 815
    Pulpstar said:
    There's going to be a lot of families earning $124,000 while their kids are in college.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    rcs1000 said:

Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

The key chart is this one:

And the point is that lockdown, etc., quickly lower the number of true new cases. Italy will almost certainly be seeing lower true new infections already, it's just going to take some time before the official numbers reflect that, because of the 7-10 gap between infection and recognition of the issue.

Great chart, what is its source?
    https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-act-today-or-people-will-die-f4d3d9cd99ca
    @rcs1000

Robert - before you cite that guy as an authority, please watch the interview of him and John Edmunds together. I will leave you to draw your own conclusions about who is more trustworthy

https://twitter.com/Channel4News/status/1238573667002523648
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144

Interesting article in the Washington post today promoting social distancing and arguing against lockdowns.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/world/corona-simulator/?fbclid=IwAR2B01zs8s-NRvwIUe0Zrg03fm7OJbkMk1EfpifvIOGbX2dN141rIcLdZ8Q

I have absolutely no idea if this is a reasonable representation - I lack the knowledge to make that call - so post it only for interest and certainly not in support of any given position.

That is very impressive. (And fun!)
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    This thread has been put in quarantine....
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    rcs1000 said:

eadric said:

Nassim Taleb here:

He says the RIGHT thing to do, as an individual, is panic - ie react over cautiously. The more people that do this, the lower the risk to the system as a whole.

Fascinating.

https://twitter.com/nntaleb/status/1239243622916259841?s=20

I met Taleb in 2007 at a conference in Japan. He explained to me that every twenty or so years, every major banking sector has a crisis that wipes out all the profits made in the previous two decades. He was very compelling.

His advice saved my customers hundreds of millions. I just wish I'd sold all by banking shares, and not just 90% of them.

Moral: listen to Nassim Taleb.
    Not *all* the profits
This discussion has been closed.