Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Compulsory house arrest for the 70+group risks causing seconda

Comments

• Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,618

kinabalu said:

Cyclefree said:

If the quarantine is compulsory, how on earth can it be enforced? What are the police going to do? Arrest 72 year olds? And do what with them?

I don't think it will be. Or if it is, it will be in name only. In essence I see this as formalizing via government advice what is already common sense. If you are at high risk (of death or severe illness from the virus) hunker down to minimize your chances of infection both for your sake and in the national interest - since the number one priority is to stop the NHS falling over.

It won't be enforced by the police or by anybody else. No problem, because it won't need to be. Most people will follow the "instructions" because they will be scared of serious illness and death and/or they will feel a sense of duty to stay well and out of overstretched hospitals at this time of national crisis.
    That is the British way.
    The British way: we shall all get a turn but please form an orderly queue.

• Options

I read this as advice if one HAS coronavirus symptoms.

I'm one of the oldest people who post here. I get the impression that some of these 40/50 yr olds think people like my wife and I don't have much of a life

Our diary for next week ought to be
    Monday. Me Gym. Wife Chiropody (can't reach our toenails easily.) Then she should be going to a lace-making Group and I go to the chiropodist.
    Tuesday she's booked at Weight Watchers (don't know why, she looks good to me, but there you are)
    I'm going to a U3a Group meeting.
    Wednesday's gym for me, then go and meet a group of friends for coffee. In the afternoon, there's another, big, U3a meeting.
    Thursday we're booked to go to a pub lunch with U3a friends and in the afternoon I've got a WEA meeting.
    Friday I've two U3a groups.

Admittedly it's quite a busy week, but I can't cope without getting about.
    I don't know which, apart from the gym, I'm going to cancel. If any!

All the U3a events are for 60+-er's.

I get it, my mum is 75 (and has a twin brother) - she is out and about everyday and maintains a great social life. She had a very busy working life, so finds it impossible to really relax.

My uncle travels for months on end, and has already been in touch to say he has no intention of returning to the UK unless forced to, he feels he is at much less risk of contracting illness in a hot climate. He's not in Europe, so I can't say I blame him.
    I think your uncle is right. It was suggested to us that we go to family in Thailand for three months, but that option is closed off now.
    He has a lung problem caused by working in the chemical industry, a bout of pneumonia nearly killed him a couple of years ago. He leads a very active life living abroad during the winter months. He's absolutely doing the right thing.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,205

The reality is that the number of reported positive cases now don't really matter. We know 10,000+ have it, and people are now dying in increasing numbers.

Obviously the important numbers for the eggheads is how many people are now requiring hospital treatment for it.

Us on here looking at this data in the same way as opinion polls, now tells us very little. At the moment it does seem like it is more the Germany trajectory than Italy, but couple of weeks and the horror stories will start.

I note that the Dutch seem to be following our trajectory. The German figures are quite remarkable.
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    I suggested the solution above. Over 70s quarantine for 6 days a week. Everyone else does it on Sunday.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,336
    HYUFD said:

Presumably twice a day walk around the garden is the solution for over 70s facing quarantine

HYUFD said:

Presumably twice a day walk around the garden is the solution for over 70s facing quarantine

Assuming they have a garden...
    Twice around the window box?
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,337
    alex_ said:

Someone suggested yesterday's jump in numbers was likely due to a one off factor to do with testing resources.

Yes, was me.

My bro is senior in NHS and he told me to expect a big jump yesterday because the time between test and result was cut from 5 days to 2 days.

A one time artificial factor.
  • Options
    ukpaulukpaul Posts: 649

The reality is that the number of reported positive cases now don't really matter. We know 10,000+ have it, and people are now dying in increasing numbers.

Obviously the important numbers for the eggheads is how many people are now requiring hospital treatment for it.

Us on here looking at this data in the same way as opinion polls, now tells us very little. At the moment it does seem like it is more the Germany trajectory than Italy, but couple of weeks and the horror stories will start.

The only figure that is of much use in comparisons now is the mortality rate.
  • Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115
    Some of the more fearful and fatalistic comments on here are, I think, way over the top. The virus is serious but why should Old King Cole be told to cancel all his weekly appointments? If he and his wife are well they should continue as normal.

I was over the rugby club until 3am yesterday morning, there must've been 250 people over there. The Scots came down from Jed Thistle, the great Gary Armstrong was with them (he told us Doddie Weir, sadly, is not in great condition), two games of rugby were played, the Scots boys played the bagpipes and we all got very pissed, including all the old boys.

I took my boy to Ramp World in Cardiff yesterday and it was as packed as ever, I went to Tescos this morning and apart from a pasta shortage it was fine... and I've just been over the local pub for Sunday dinner where it was as jam-packed as it always is. The wife and me will go to work and the kids will go to school in the morning, as usual.

Most people don't live by the fear and hysteria-culture of Twitter or social media and just get the feck on with it. And will die with fewer regrets.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    tlg86 said:

I note that the Dutch seem to be following our trajectory. The German figures are quite remarkable.
    I know the initial outbreak was much younger people, but it does appear they might well be doing something to reduce death rates. Obviously, I hope they are disseminating to other countries whatever their procedure is.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,167

HYUFD said:

Even my block of flats has grass at the front you can walk on
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Gabs3 said:
    Not a great question.

Old Republicans could take the view that they/their friends have had good lives and if it is their time to go then so be it
  • Options

Are these numbers published regularly anywhere? They are crucial for understanding of the timing of new measures by the Government.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,094
    You know, I don’t think I’ve ever had flu. Especially not the way it is described by some...

I’m not sure if that’s a good thing, a bad thing, or nothing at all, when it comes to this pandemic.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

maaarsh said:

tyson said:

eadric said:

The UK stats today aren't actually THAT bad.

A tiny glimmer of hope?

We are not testing...unless at hospital...

Sadly, the spike in numbers are those in hospital I guess who are showing extreme symptoms....
    They release the number of tests, and there is no sign of any decline so these are at least a like for like measure, although clearly there will be a large multiple of cases not formally diagnosed.
    But if the tests are now focused on serious cases in hospital you would expect a higher % of positives. So it is not a like for like measure.
    Testing in hospitals will largely focus on personnel rather than patients.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

So you want everyone in the block of flats go walk around the grass at the front? Doesn’t that defeat the point?
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050
    The death rate suggests we are about 10 days behind Italy....Italy closed shop a week last Saturday......so Wednesday or Thursday next week will be our point
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,727
    Charles said:

Gabs3 said:
    Not a great question.

Old Republicans could take the view that they/their friends have had good lives and if it is their time to go then so be it
    ... and how likely is that?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990

You know, I don’t think I’ve ever had flu. Especially not the way it is described by some...

I’m not sure if that’s a good thing, a bad thing, or nothing at all, when it comes to this pandemic.

Probably not good psychologically, but physiology it should make no difference since this is a new bugger.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited March 2020
    dr_spyn said:

Big jump in deaths in Spain.

The British and German, and Spanish and Italian patterns of the disease seem to be diverging.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    Stocky said:

felix said:

Stocky said:

felix said:

rkrkrk said:

I may be missing something but self isolation =/= staying at home?
    Presumably going out for a long walk in nature is totally fine.

The existing advice for the seven days' worth of self isolation for suspected cases is entitled "Stay at home" and explicitly states that "You cannot go for a walk."

I assume this means that elderly and medically vulnerable self-isolators will also be trapped inside (unless they live in houses with enclosed back gardens, which will allow them to get outdoors without coming into contact or close to any other people.)

You can therefore appreciate why the Government is stalling for as long as possible. It is a Draconian measure.
    Here in Spain they are arresting people and dishing out large fines for those who stay at home means go out for a bike ride or a walk.
    That'll be interesting if they try that over here. Policemen dishing out on-the-spot fines of a weeks' pension to dotty old octogenarian dears with mild cognitive impairment tottering back from the corner shop will not go down at all well.
    I heard on the radio that in Italy people are being arrested for leaving their houses to walk their dog. I don`t think that we in Britain would stand for this.
    It all depends how bad it gets. But that is what lockdown means - there are plenty in the UK asking why we aren't following Italy and the Europeans already. Now you have the answer.
    You mean, because we wouldn`t stand for it? I`m amazed that Italians are standing for it - maybe they are not and the current government over there is doomed.
    No i mean that is why you only take measures when necessary. People stand for it in the main because they are law abiding. I suspect it would be accepted in the UK too.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Yeah but... you would be interacting with your neighbours who have the same idea. A big fine from Boris will be on its way to you and them!
  • Options
    edited March 2020

It isn't so much flu, it the reports that even young and healthy people often get pneumonia. If you have had that, it can be a very unsettling experience.
  • Options

Charles said:

Gabs3 said:
    Not a great question.

... and how likely is that?
    That is the view expressed by some people I know.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,997
    O/T

This makes me angry.

"Daughter of wealthy Qatar family lives in constant fear of kidnap
    A woman who fled to Britain is terrified she will meet the same fate as the two captive Dubai princesses"

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/daughter-of-wealthy-qatar-family-lives-in-constant-fear-of-kidnap-n6vkjd6qn

https://twitter.com/AishalQahtani/status/1239188702875783169
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,715

dr_spyn said:

Pizza with pineapple still not selling well.

twitter.com/bianco222/status/1238830341630107660

I can't believe any store even dares to sell that in Italy !!!
    I enjoyed an excellent Hawaiian pizza in Pisa last year.
  • Options
    eadric said:

Fenster said:

Some of the more fearful and fatalistic comments on here are, I think, way over the top. The virus is serious but why should Old King Cole be told to cancel all his weekly appointments? If he and his wife are well they should continue as normal.

I was over the rugby club until 3am yesterday morning, there must've been 250 people over there. The Scots came down from Jed Thistle, the great Gary Armstrong was with them (he told us Doddie Weir, sadly, is not in great condition), two games of rugby were played, the Scots boys played the bagpipes and we all got very pissed, including all the old boys.

I took my boy to Ramp World in Cardiff yesterday and it was as packed as ever, I went to Tescos this morning and apart from a pasta shortage it was fine... and I've just been over the local pub for Sunday dinner where it was as jam-packed as it always is. The wife and me will go to work and the kids will go to school in the morning, as usual.

Most people don't live by the fear and hysteria-culture of Twitter or social media and just get the feck on with it. And will die with fewer regrets.

This is how EXACTLY people initially reacted in Italy. with a shrug and a MEH and off they toddled to the café for an espresso with their friends.

Then the deaths came, and the horror stories, and the young people getting ill, and the crematoria working 24/7 to burn the bodies.

Now the Italians do NOT behave like you.
    I would suggest that it is you who is in a very small minority, not me.

I might be wrong and I might die but I'm not going to worry myself stupid until it happens, just like all the other people going about their daily business aren't.
  • Options
    eadric said:

Fenster said:

This is how EXACTLY people initially reacted in Italy. with a shrug and a MEH and off they toddled to the café for an espresso with their friends.

Then the deaths came, and the horror stories, and the young people getting ill, and the crematoria working 24/7 to burn the bodies.

Fenster's comments are very worrying for how things are closing in.....
  • Options
    eadric said:

Fenster said:

I am not sure the fact that it seems via a combination of luck and hard work firefighting hot spots early on, we are still at the start of the ramp and people are convincing themselves well we won't be like Italy. The worst that will happen is we might run out of bog roll.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

The mind boggles as to why a 74 year old Italian who'd been in Milan would travel to the Central African Republic, one of the most dangerous countries in the world.

"1st case in the Central African Republic: a 74-year-old Italian who had recently been in Milan [source]"

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

I believe he lives there and was in Milan for a visit.
  • Options
    tyson said:

The death rate suggests we are about 10 days behind Italy....Italy closed shop a week last Saturday......so Wednesday or Thursday next week will be our point

How long ago was it that we were reading horrific stories out of Northern Italy about the hospitals overloaded, young and old alike presenting unable to cope any further etc etc. Was it really only about a week ago? The reporting out of UK hospitals hasn't been anything like on the same level (yet). In fact, unless I've missed it, we've been hearing hardly anything about conditions in hospitals (other than a few people nicking handgel)

The Govt experts are saying they expect the peak in six weeks time. And they are hoping the peak will be containable within NHS capacity. That doesn't compute with everything collapsing in a few days.

Which suggests we are in a far better position than raw numbers suggest?
  • Options
    Fenster said:

eadric said:

Fenster said:

I might be wrong and I might die but I'm not going to worry myself stupid until it happens, just like all the other people going about their daily business aren't.
    All my Italian friends and family have contacted us to stay at home.....Why do you think they have done that?
  • Options
    Putin might see that as an open invitation!
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,337

I think some of the nuttier elements on twitter will want to see oldies locked up for breaking the rules, cos they voted Brexit and Tory.....

Mmm, perhaps this is their punishment for that.

Your question about test numbers -

I think the number of "new" tests is being temporarily and artificially inflated by backlog catch-up as tests are now being processed more quickly, within 48 hours rather than taking an average of 5 days.

Once this has worked through we should see the numbers drop - if the assumption that testing is only on hospitalized patients is correct.
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,912

I agree wholeheartely with the first paragraph. The changes in total counts over a half a week or so does make sense, if the same type of testing is done. Obvioulsy if there is a systematic change in testing suchas a move from testing all those who want to be tested to testing only those admitted to hospital with relevant systems is going to make the data difficult to interpret.

As for where the UK fits in to Germany vs Italy, Germany is really not that different from Italy. The infection rate is a bit slower in Germany but with over 5400 cases and an exponential increase, it is still bad here. The UK death rate is very different from in Germany. Why? I don't know. Perhaps the health care system in Germany is superb, perhaps elderly Germans are reporting symptoms more quickly, and getting treated early. It's too early to tell.
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038

It isn't so much flu, it the reports that even young and healthy people often get pneumonia. If you have had that, it can be a very unsettling experience.
    Indeed, and what a 'helpful' time for the NHS to have run out of pneumonia vaccine. I asked for one last week and they said 'Sorry, we haven't had any for 3-4 months'.
  • Options
    eadric said:

Fenster said:

eadric said:

Fenster said:

You haven't even tried to grasp how social distancing, isolation, and quarantine can work to contain this vile disease (as we see in other countries). I fear if I continue further I will insult you, so I will leave it there.
    I have grasped it. I'm aware of every bit of advice that's come out. Wash your hands, be sensible, go about your business as usual until you get ill, then stay at home. I didn't see any advice about pissing my pants and scaring everyone to death with apocalyptic comments online.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

I think some of the nuttier elements on twitter will want to see oldies locked up for breaking the rules, cos they voted Brexit and Tory.....

Mmm, perhaps this is their punishment for that.

Your question about test numbers -

I think the number of "new" tests is being temporarily and artificially inflated by backlog catch-up as tests are now being processed more quickly, within 48 hours rather than taking an average of 5 days.

Once this has worked through we should see the numbers drop - if the assumption that testing is only on hospitalized patients is correct.
    This is the element I am most uncomfortable about in regards to the UK government strategy. This idea of just not going to test the public. As I say, unless there will actually be sampling going on, but they don't want to issue a Trump style BS promise of all those that want to get tested, get a test.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,063
    edited March 2020
    Fenster said:

Thanks Fenster. I didn't say we were living totally normally. We're avoiding the bigger groups, washing regularly and that sort of thing..
    Sorry to hear about Doddie Weir. MND is a horrible disease, and, as of this moment, once you get it, that's it. Slowly. And your mind is clear.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    eristdoof said:

I agree wholeheartely with the first paragraph. The changes in total counts over a half a week or so does make sense, if the same type of testing is done. Obvioulsy if there is a systematic change in testing suchas a move from testing all those who want to be tested to testing only those admitted to hospital with relevant systems is going to make the data difficult to interpret.

As for where the UK fits in to Germany vs Italy, Germany is really not that different from Italy. The infection rate is a bit slower in Germany but with over 5400 cases and an exponential increase, it is still bad here. The UK death rate is very different from in Germany. Why? I don't know. Perhaps the health care system in Germany is superb, perhaps elderly Germans are reporting symptoms more quickly, and getting treated early. It's too early to tell.
    With respect, I can't see that Germany is not strongly different from Italy. As far as I can understand it, the curve that Italy was on in the same period is not the same as Germany's, so far.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

The advice is you have to be at least 2 metres away from the public.

We are fortunate that it is not a problem but many will haveva problem with that

And are we all to suffer Sky' s depressing virus backdrop for months
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949

I'm fairly sure I've never had the flu. My take is that it means we might be a bit less mentally prepared for the experience but it isn't really significant in the grand scheme of things. And hey, maybe it means my immune system is really good against flu viruses?

I'm not banking on the latter, for the record.
  • Options

Incidentally, what's the current official advice on visiting parents/grandparents?

I've had a quick look but from what I could see then, providing there's no fever/cough it's still deemed ok.

Yes - until the call goes out to self-isolate I see no reason why people shouldn't go about their business essentially as normal.

As has been much discussed here and elsewhere recently, quarantine for older people and the medically vulnerable is going to be something of an ordeal, and a lengthy one at that. There is no point in prolonging that situation (e.g. by self-isolating immediately) unnecessarily. Some people will do that anyway because they're very frightened, but for those who aren't they might as well keep calm and carry on until instructed otherwise.
    If you are in a high risk group and carrying on as normal then you are playing Russian Roulette.

The CDC advice is to keep your head down. And this applies to the rest of the household too - minimise contact with the outside world. That is what we are doing, as my wife is taking immunosuppressant medication.
  • Options
    tyson said:

Fenster said:

eadric said:

Fenster said:

All my Italian friends and family have contacted us to stay at home.....Why do you think they have done that?
    My kids are going to school in the morning with 750 other kids. I'll go to work tomorrow and come into contact with 100 people. What's the point of me staying at home when I'll likely catch it through the kids anyway.
  • Options

dr_spyn said:

Pizza with pineapple still not selling well.

twitter.com/bianco222/status/1238830341630107660

I can't believe any store even dares to sell that in Italy !!!
    I enjoyed an excellent Hawaiian pizza in Pisa last year.
    Careful, you could get banned for admitting that on this forum!
  • Options
    alex_ said:

tyson said:

How long ago was it that we were reading horrific stories out of Northern Italy about the hospitals overloaded, young and old alike presenting unable to cope any further etc etc. Was it really only about a week ago? The reporting out of UK hospitals hasn't been anything like on the same level (yet). In fact, unless I've missed it, we've been hearing hardly anything about conditions in hospitals (other than a few people nicking handgel)

The Govt experts are saying they expect the peak in six weeks time. And they are hoping the peak will be containable within NHS capacity. That doesn't compute with everything collapsing in a few days.

Italy is dealing with a hotspot....so let's hope in these days we can ready ICU beds...
  • Options
    Twitter wilfully misunderstanding the facts.

"Exclusive rights" to a technology does not mean "won't let anyone else have it"
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

The advice is you have to be at least 2 metres away from the public.

We are fortunate that it is not a problem but many will haveva problem with that

And are we all to suffer Sky' s depressing virus backdrop for months
    Coronavirus is the rolling news networks' Christmases all coming at once. The coverage is sensational and really not as informative as it should be.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,010
    Mr. Fenster, delays it.

This makes it easier for health services to deal with it.
  • Options
    Fenster said:

tyson said:

Fenster said:

eadric said:

Fenster said:

My kids are going to school in the morning with 750 other kids. I'll go to work tomorrow and come into contact with 100 people. What's the point of me staying at home when I'll likely catch it through the kids anyway.
    I'm working in court tomorrow- quite frankly it appalls me since I have deliberately not got into a public venue this weekend
  • Options
    Charles said:

"Exclusive rights" to a technology does not mean "won't let anyone else have it"
    Interpret the story how you will. It's Trump we are talking about!
  • Options

I would say, you know it if you have had flu except if it as a young child. It is noticeably different from a bad cold. I have only had it twice before 30 and thankfully not at all in the last 20 years.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,227
    tyson said:

Fenster said:

eadric said:

Fenster said:

Yes - my cousin is gobsmacked at what Johnson said and has told me to stay indoors.

Italians are staying in now because there is nowhere for them to go and because of what has been happening in Lombardy.
  • Options
    JM1 said:

alex_ said:

tyson said:

I suspect Italy had a far larger number of undiagnosed cases than we have. After 40000 tests, Italy had 7000 cases, whilst we have a much smaller number (which will of course rise rapidly). We clearly have many undiagnosed cases (many, based on what was reported from Iceland may be completely asymptomatic) but it might be that we can control the epidemic a little better in terms of timing than Italy / Spain. Let's certainly hope so...
    Well yes - but it means looking to Italy/Spain to indicate when things might really start getting restrictive in this country may not be very reliable.
  • Options
    eristdoof said:

I would say, you know it if you have had flu except if it as a young child. It is noticeably different from a bad cold. I have only had it twice before 30 and thankfully not at all in the last 20 years.
    You know when you've had a flu rather than a cold....you feel washed out and look gaunt for at least a couple of weeks after.....
  • Options
    edited March 2020

Mr. Fenster, delays it.

This makes it easier for health services to deal with it.

I understand that, but I can't exactly cry off work when the kids are in school.

My view is, if the science experts see no reason to keep the kids home from school and keep my wife and me home from work then it's no time for panic.

I was quite surprised at how normal things are out there in the world (particularly Friday's shenanigans). I spend a bit too much time reading online hysteria and should know better, that the real world is usually much calmer and much more grounded in sensible reality (just as it was after the Brexit vote, when the sum total of the ;post-referendum online hysteria amounted to commiting suicide quickly).
  • Options
    eristdoof said:

I've had flu once. Perhaps the obvious main difference from a heavy cold is the complete loss of appetite. I didn't eat at all for about 5 days.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    It could be that north/south cultural differences in such an easily transmissible disease are playing a major role, so far.
  • Options
    Charles said:

But it could. The insistance that German CureVac employees move to the USA to work there should be a big red flag, if the plan were for it to be an internaltional project.
  • Options
    Anyway, I'm off to take my boy to A&E. He's rolled his ankle quite badly. The dope.
  • Options
    Fenster said:

Anyway, I'm off to take my boy to A&E. He's rolled his ankle quite badly. The dope.

Report back what A&E is like!
  • Options
    Fenster said:

Good luck......
  • Options
    alex_ said:

JM1 said:

alex_ said:

tyson said:

I suspect Italy had a far larger number of undiagnosed cases than we have. After 40000 tests, Italy had 7000 cases, whilst we have a much smaller number (which will of course rise rapidly). We clearly have many undiagnosed cases (many, based on what was reported from Iceland may be completely asymptomatic) but it might be that we can control the epidemic a little better in terms of timing than Italy / Spain. Let's certainly hope so...
    Well yes - but it means looking to Italy/Spain to indicate when things might really start getting restrictive in this country may not be very reliable.

The UK and any other country, should be using the available information from all other countries.
  • Options
    I presume the Trump Vaccine will come in gold packaging with his name in massive letters on the side....
  • Options
    SAS (Swedish BA) is laying off 90% of its staff
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,736
    edited March 2020
    eadric said:

Fenster said:

tyson said:

Fenster said:

eadric said:

Fenster said:

Some of the more fearful and fatalistic comments on here are, I think, way over the top. The virus is serih fewer regrets.

Fair enough. For me it is simply logical that social distancing works, and should now be enacted by responsible citizens - e.g. work from home if you can (of course many can't), don't go to big gatherings of people, don't go to crowded pubs.

Perhaps our personal circumstances are different: I have several friends and close relatives who in very high risk groups - they would likely die if they catch this. So maybe that explains why I am more cautious than you, as you don't have any close family or friends who are at risk?
    I wonder what Byronic would have made of the matter? I miss his posts.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Charles said:

One of the world's best airlines - what a shame.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,997

It could be that the north/south cultural differences in such an easily transmissible disease are playing a major role so far.

It certainly looks like that. I don't think it's "racist" to say so, (especially since we're talking about Europeans).
  • Options
    Sky's Europe correspondent reporting from Lille has said that this evening Germany will close the border with France as well as Austria and Switzerland

He said this is a seminal moment for Germany and France as their borders close

And how easy will it be for it to be re-opened and when
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,063

Fenster said:

Report back what A&E is like!
    Agree. Best wishes to your son.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    eristdoof said:

alex_ said:

JM1 said:

alex_ said:

tyson said:

The UK and any other country, should be using the available information from all other countries.
    I was talking about people on here using the numbers to question the Govt's assertions. Not the Govt.
  • Options
    Charles said:

I reckon BA will be nationalised.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990
    alex_ said:

Charles said:

That wouldn't surprise me either.
  • Options
    alex_ said:

Charles said:

And quite possibly the rest of the rail franchises.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    alex_ said:

Charles said:

By us or Spain?
  • Options

alex_ said:

Charles said:

Sounds like Corbyn won the argument!
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144

eristdoof said:

I've had flu once. Perhaps the obvious main difference from a heavy cold is the complete loss of appetite. I didn't eat at all for about 5 days.
    I've had flu twice, when 19 and 26. I had a ferocious fever and "lost" 36 hours both times. Weak as a kitten after it both times.

People who casually say "Oh I had flu last week, but I'm fine now" haven't had flu. It is massively worse than any cold you have ever had.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,068
    Stuck at home?

Can I suggest downloading Yousician for your tablet or mobile phone.

I'm using the enforced being at home to learn the piano.
  • Options
    Spanish police use megaphones to warn people to stay indoors or face arrest and £25 000 fines or jail

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8114189/Spanish-police-use-megaphones-tell-people-stay-indoors-face-25-000-fines.html
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144
    Andy_JS said:

It could be that the north/south cultural differences in such an easily transmissible disease are playing a major role so far.

It certainly looks like that. I don't think it's "racist" to say so, (especially since we're talking about Europeans).
    Southern Europeans often seem to have no concept of personal space.
  • Options

alex_ said:

Charles said:

Back to pre Thatcher privatisations then and more of Corbyn's manifesto of nationalisations comes in by the back door
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,787

eristdoof said:

I've had flu twice, when 19 and 26. I had a ferocious fever and "lost" 36 hours both times. Weak as a kitten after it both times.

People who casually say "Oh I had flu last week, but I'm fine now" haven't had flu. It is massively worse than any cold you have ever had.
    Yes - you’re poleaxed - it’s a very different animal from a bad cold.
  • Options
    edited March 2020

Indeed, and what a 'helpful' time for the NHS to have run out of pneumonia vaccine. I asked for one last week and they said 'Sorry, we haven't had any for 3-4 months'.
    It's intended for babies and people over 65. So there isn't a stock on demand.

Prevenar 13
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    alex_ said:

Charles said:

That could be complicated. I mean, would the Government nationalise IAG, or hive off the BA part of it?

Could not businesses like that which would be perfectly viable but for the crisis simply be saved through a combination of temporary redundancies/unpaid leave and bridging loans?
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Southern Europeans often seem to have no concept of personal space.
    That's one way of looking at it ; they regard northern europeans as frosty and detached.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    eadric said:

Charles said:

Just saw that. 10,000 jobs gone, in a moment.

10,000 families, losing a breadwinner...

So sad.
    Will be the same for restaurant, cafe, pub, hotel, bar, nightclub, hairdressers, shop staff etc, unless only temporary until Covid 19 cleared up
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Spanish police use megaphones to warn people to stay indoors or face arrest and £25 000 fines or jail

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8114189/Spanish-police-use-megaphones-tell-people-stay-indoors-face-25-000-fines.html

That'll be you if you wander out onto that lawn.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

That'll be you if you wander out onto that lawn.
    Not if it is your lawn and others who use it are trespassing
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,146
    HYUFD said:

alex_ said:

Charles said:

Back to pre Thatcher privatisations then and more of Corbyn's manifesto of nationalisations comes in by the back door
    The Tories have already implemented Michael Foot's policy on the EU. They may now get a chance to implement the rest of his manifesto.

We will establish a significant public stake in electronics, pharmaceuticals, health equipment and building materials; and also in other important sectors, as required in the national interest.

http://www.labour-party.org.uk/manifestos/1983/1983-labour-manifesto.shtml
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

eadric said:

Charles said:

Just saw that. 10,000 jobs gone, in a moment.

10,000 families, losing a breadwinner...

So sad.
    Will be the same for restaurant, cafe, hotel, bar, nightclub, hairdressers, shop staff etc, unless only temporary until Covid 19 cleared up

We all have to do our bit now....I'm not claiming cancellation fees on bookings...

I'm paying our cleaner a 50% retainer for however long.....

We need to support QE for businesses across the board.....
  • Options

Charles said:

Interpret the story how you will. It's Trump we are talking about!
    Given that I specialise in life sciences, with a particular focus on vaccines, I'm happy to interpret the story as I have.
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    News from Lombardy

Currently infected: 13.272 (+1582 compared to yesterday)
    Total deaths: 1218 (+252)
    Total hospitalized: 4898 (+602)
    Total in intensive care: 757 (+25)
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,826
    Fenster said:

Yes, there is room to keep things in proportion. Last Monday I went to what may have been the last Premier League game of the season, worked all week, ran some errands in town after my Saturday ward round in a busy city centre. Ate out with friends In a local restaurant in the evening, and went to Church this morning. Plenty of hand washing, no facial touching, congregation well spread out across the pews.

Life is still to be lived, just with sensible precautions. Work as normal tommorow.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,821
    One or two interesting links lower down this thread:
    https://twitter.com/davidasinclair/status/1238972082756648960
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,452
    Braemar update: still moored at the Bahamas; last report suggests the ship’s doctor may be displaying Corona symptoms.
  • Options
    edited March 2020

News from Lombardy

Currently infected: 13.272 (+1582 compared to yesterday)
    Total deaths: 1218 (+252)
    Total hospitalized: 4898 (+602)
    Total in intensive care: 757 (+25)

Total healed ? This seems a very important figure to me. The deaths are at a horribly high, but roughly static level, but the number of new intensive care cases seems to be coming down. Maybe the infrastructure and treatment is beginning to cope better.
This discussion has been closed.