Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Biden goes into tonight’s primaries as an 88% chance on Betfai

SystemSystem Posts: 11,703
edited March 2020 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Biden goes into tonight’s primaries as an 88% chance on Betfair for the nomination

After his sensational change of fortune just ten days ago ex-VP, 77-year old Joe Biden heads into tonight’s round of primaries. The one that will be most watched is Michigan where Bernie Sanders pulled off a sensational victory of Clinton at WH2016. The polling, this time, is heavily for Biden. Michigan will be a key target for the Dems in Novermber.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Can it be Joe 90?
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,787
    According to Wiki (I know, I know) on published data the UK has the fourth (third on a list which excludes China) highest number of tests behind S Korea and Italy:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COVID-19_testing

Not all the data is completely up to date, and some countries are notably absent - eg Germany, Spain - but so far, we seem to be doing pretty well...
  • Options
    FPT

DHSC just updated its breakdown of cases by local authority, which now shows the number of cases in each area as of 9am this morning. Five new cases were detected in Kensington and Chelsea, one of the UK’s wealthiest areas, bringing the total in the borough to 13.

The area with the most cases overall remains Hertfordshire, with three new cases bringing the total in the county to 16.

Skiers...Luton Airport...

So not Remainers but pleb Leavers who think an M&S meal is a Michelin starred experience.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941
    This market’s still under-round.
  • Options
    TGOHF666TGOHF666 Posts: 2,052
    Any links to cases by area ?
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,902
    FPT

DHSC just updated its breakdown of cases by local authority, which now shows the number of cases in each area as of 9am this morning. Five new cases were detected in Kensington and Chelsea, one of the UK’s wealthiest areas, bringing the total in the borough to 13.

The area with the most cases overall remains Hertfordshire, with three new cases bringing the total in the county to 16.

Skiers...Luton Airport...

Notable growth in Southwark, 1->3->5->8 cases.

K&C and Hertfordshire you've singled out.

Hampshire now up to 10, from 2, 3 days ago.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    edited March 2020
    Also, on self-isolation after a skiing or any other kind of holiday, is it that easy?

Suppose Our Man into Tyrol manages to return to Barnes.

First, he has to get from Heathrow/Luton/Stansted Airport to Barnes.

Second, his cupboard is bare of milk, bread and supplies. There are long delays in getting supermarkets to deliver at the moment (a week in my part of the world).

Without friendly and accommodating neighbours, then it is not going to be so easy for a returning holiday-maker to self-isolate for 2 weeks.
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_coronavirus_outbreak_in_the_United_Kingdom#Statistics

I would be interested to know how many of the recent (passed few days) cases are from people who have retered from other contrarys, and how many from inside the UK, I don't understand why they are not publishing this anymore?

As UK cases seem to be scattered rater than clustered, for the most part, that would suggest to me its still mostly from people who contracted it oversees but maybe I'm wrong.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    I see there were lots of calls in the EP for the EU to take a co-ordinating role in the management of the crisis - something I raised a couple of days ago - to some derision from the usual suspects on here. Rather amusing to see all the clips of speakers from all over the EU speaking very fluent English as they made their points.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,446
    BigRich said:
    91 cases in Greater London
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,880

BigRich said:
    Half the cases are in the greater South East.
    20 cases are in Devon-Torbay-Cornwall.

However there are cases in every region.
    No where is immune.
  • Options
    New York is sending the National Guard to the New York City suburb of New Rochelle to help set up a coronavirus containment area.

https://trib.al/Vaq5utG
  • Options
    Also from the WSJ

The GOP is racing to stop a Texas candidate who tweets photos of women’s breasts and supports teaching students conspiracy theories: “We will crush him or I will light myself on fire.”

https://www.wsj.com/articles/front-runner-for-texas-school-board-wants-to-teach-pole-dancing-conspiracy-theories-11583526093
  • Options
    GideonWiseGideonWise Posts: 1,123

New York is sending the National Guard to the New York City suburb of New Rochelle to help set up a coronavirus containment area.

https://trib.al/Vaq5utG

I'm getting images of the start of ET in my head.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    edited March 2020

No where is immune.

There are none in Gogledd Cymru
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

https://twitter. com/davidfrum/status/1237401899189633024

Haha, Biden comes out of that very well.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,797
    Warren has already left it too late to endorse.
    https://thehill.com/hilltv/rising/486631-political-reporter-if-warren-waits-too-long-to-endorse-bernie-it-will-be

Or isn’t going to endorse at all.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    Scott_xP said:

twitter.com/davidfrum/status/1237401899189633024

He has a very bad habit of jabby pointy motion with his hands when he disagrees with people.
  • Options
    sarissasarissa Posts: 1,800
    Sandpit said:

What was the price of a barrel of oil in September 2014?

Around $100
    https://www.macrotrends.net/1369/crude-oil-price-history-chart
    Irrelevant as N sea income had been destroyed by Osborne in his 2011 Budget tax grab.
    https://www.gov.scot/binaries/content/gallery/publications/statistics-publication/2018/08/government-expenditure-revenue-scotland-2017-18/00539518.gif
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,205

No where is immune.

There are none in Gogledd Cymru
    Just one case in Lincolnshire, I think.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,713

BigRich said:
    I'm happy to be leaving the Smoke to head to the Smog of Teesside this evening.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,333
    edited March 2020
    Scott_xP said:
    Politicians telling voters they are full of shit is something I would like to see an awful lot more of. Many voters ARE full of shit, let's face it, and therefore it is an example of that thing which so many people say they want to hear from politicians - the much fabled "telling it like it is".
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,853
  • Options

Can it be Joe 90?

2020 vision doesn’t require those specs....
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited March 2020
    [Edit: I see that the video has just been posted]

Not sure if this helps or hinders Biden. He goes up in my estimation - it's rather refreshing to see a politician arguing back against idiocy - but I'm not the target market.
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    edited March 2020
    Italy update

528 new cases for a total of 8514 currently infected.,

168 new deaths. 135 of them in Lombardy.
    260 new healed

• Options
    edited March 2020

Not sure if this helps or hinders Biden. He goes up in my estimation - it's rather refreshing to see a politician arguing back against idiocy - but I'm not the target market.

The gun nuts aren’t going to vote Democrat anyway.

Plenty of gun owners, though, are unlikely to be offended.
    This is not ‘deplorables’ - it’s a guy telling a guy who’s full of shit that he’s full of shit.
  • Options
    Coronavirus, per capita ranking

1. San Marino (1500 per million)
    2. Vatican City (1000)
    3. Iceland (190)
    4. Italy (152)
    5. S Korea (147)
    6. St. Barts (111)
    7. Iran (96)
    8. Bahrain (65)
    9. Switzerland (57)
    10. China (56)
    11. Norway (53)
    12. Denmark (45)
    xx. UK (6)
  • Options

Italy update

260 new healed

That’s a “good” new infections rate.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,316
    Number of new daily cases appears now to be falling in France and Germany.

Adding that to what's already happened in China and South Korea - is there a chance it is being brought under control?

Albeit I'm not sure how that would be the case?
  • Options

Italy update

260 new healed

yes...but...numbers from Lombardy may be only partial because when they sent the updated numbers this late afternoon, they were still waiting for the results of some tests....
  • Options

This could be like the moment John Major was court on camera calling some of his MPs 'Bastards', The press reporting it as a 'gaff' but then his popularity rose after, as people felt they could relate to that feeling.

But....
  • Options
    MikeL said:

Adding that to what's already happened in China and South Korea - is there a chance it is being brought under control?

People with “flu” starting to self isolate?
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,164
    North Dakota is up tonight, North Carolina was won by Biden on Super Tuesday
  • Options
  • Options

Also from the WSJ

The GOP is racing to stop a Texas candidate who tweets photos of women’s breasts and supports teaching students conspiracy theories: “We will crush him or I will light myself on fire.”

https://www.wsj.com/articles/front-runner-for-texas-school-board-wants-to-teach-pole-dancing-conspiracy-theories-11583526093

The top candidate for the board of education...
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578
    Kind of on topic, I have just put some money on Amy Klobuchar as Biden's VP choice (I'm assuming Biden wins the nomination) as,

1. She is female
    2. She would shore up Minnesota and probably help in Wisconsin / Iowa
    3. I think the Democrats hierarchy will be well aware there has to be a high chance Biden does not complete his first term, never mind his second. So the VP candidate will have to be someone who can step up to the plate. I can't see any of the others mentioned (Abrams, Harris etc) doing that
  • Options

Italy update

260 new healed

That's a significant drop from yesterday, now the nation is in lock down, have they modified there policy on testing.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    Chameleon said:

www.twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1237426680781774850

Peak cases, or weekend numbers?

That death rate is horrific.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
  • Options
    edited March 2020

Italy update

260 new healed

yes...but...numbers from Lombardy are partial because when they sent the updated numbers this late afternoon, they were still waiting for the results of some tests....
  • Options
    Spoke too soon.
    No sign of levelling off in Italy.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited March 2020
    It seems unclear what's going on in Lombardy.

It's very important to know, either way.
  • Options
    Trump goes odds AGAINST on Betfair. People are waking up.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,316
    edited March 2020
    That's the lowest daily Italy number since 6 March.

Last 3 days:

7 Mar - 1,247
    8 Mar - 1,492
    9 Mar - 1,797
    10 Mar - 977
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,853
    edited March 2020
    England coronavirus warm spots. Given the still low number of cases per area, it would be incorrect to view these as outbreaks as opposed to clusters, but rather places where the initial outbreaks are looking a little more likely, especially where neighbouring areas appear. It is perfectly possible for a dozen or so cases to be in a closed group who have all been isolated and the infection chain broken:

>5 cases per 100k residents: Torbay, Kensington and Chelsea
    > 2 per 100k: Brighton & Hove, Southwark, Barnet
    >1 per 100k: Devon, Bracknell Forest, Wokingham, Ealing, Hounslow, Hammersmith&Fulham, Westminster, Camden, Tower Hamlets, Hertfordshire, Oxfordshire, Wolverhampton, Liverpool, Bolton, Trafford, Bury, Oldham, York, Cumbria, Newcastle uT

Many of the areas reporting new cases are in a quadrant between north and west of Central London. Brighton and Torbay did not see a large uptick today.

• Options
    edited March 2020
    The reporting on coronavirus is awful.

We are relying on half-mashed Twitter reports from surgeons to understand how Italy is dealing with the plague.

Let alone Iran or South Korea.

Where are the intrepid journalists on the spot?
    Where are the foreign stringers?

And can I note, Iceland.
    Proportionally it has a worse outbreak than Italy, and nobody seems to have noticed.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

I did say several times that the lay at 1.75 was great value.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

People washing there hands better and more often?

Possibly combined with other spreading reducing meshurs e.g. not shacking hands, phoning in sick rather than going to work when starting to feel unwell.

• Options
    MrEd said:

Kind of on topic, I have just put some money on Amy Klobuchar as Biden's VP choice (I'm assuming Biden wins the nomination) as,

1. She is female
    2. She would shore up Minnesota and probably help in Wisconsin / Iowa
    3. I think the Democrats hierarchy will be well aware there has to be a high chance Biden does not complete his first term, never mind his second. So the VP candidate will have to be someone who can step up to the plate. I can't see any of the others mentioned (Abrams, Harris etc) doing that

I think either would be preferable to the Klob.
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    edited March 2020
    And since Boris won so handsomely, he can cheerfully tell that many rebels to go fuck themselves :smile:
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,426
    BigRich said:

This could be like the moment John Major was court on camera calling some of his MPs 'Bastards', The press reporting it as a 'gaff' but then his popularity rose after, as people felt they could relate to that feeling.

But....
    If I can understand the sound correctly, the man is talking about a video of Biden talking about banning guns which Biden says is fake.

The voter says: "It's your face and your voice".

The 2020 election folks.
  • Options
    edited March 2020

The reporting on coronavirus is awful.

We are relying on half-mashed Twitter reports from surgeons to understand how Italy is dealing with the plague.

Let alone Iran or South Korea.

Where are the intrepid journalists on the spot?
    Where are the foreign stringers?

And can I note, Iceland.
    Proportionally it has a worse outbreak than Italy, and nobody seems to have noticed.

I suppose journalists don't want to get the virus, and lockdowns make it difficult anyway. If there are then official silences, that only leaves social media and twitter, which may be both more and less helpful in building up a more integrated picture.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,002
    They're meant to be our representatives, not our betters I think? So they should talk to the public the same as they would if they weren't politicians, or if the public were
  • Options

And since Boris won so handsomely, he can cheerfully tell that many rebels to go fuck themselves :smile:
    McVey, Chope, Francois.
    The absolute dregs de la dregs.
  • Options
    NYTimes:

With New Rochelle, a small city just north of New York City in Westchester County, emerging as the center of the state’s outbreak, Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo of New York on Tuesday announced a targeted containment strategy to halt the spread of the virus.

The state’s plan focuses on a “containment area” in New Rochelle with a one-mile radius centered around a synagogue believed to be at the center of the cluster, officials said.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,429
    Waitrose advancing the cut off for amending home delivery orders tonight from 11 pm to 9 pm “due to high demand”.

The beginning of the end is nigh.

I hope I get the toilet rolls I ordered.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,048

Can it be Joe 90?

Is that the opposite of a pop culture reference?
  • Options
    Interesting thread.
    Huge scepticism about China’s official figures in the comments, but I can’t see how they could hide a continuing outbreak elsewhere in the country for any great length of time...

https://twitter.com/StephenMcDonell/status/1237198964182540290
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    Interesting. Both Sanders and Biden advancing on Trump to similar degrees. The fallout from the virus must be already affecting him.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,014

McVey, Chope, Francois.
    The absolute dregs de la dregs.
    Trouble is that in this one particular instance they happen to be right. Whether by design or blind luck I don't know. But the Huawei decision is by far the biggest mistake Boris has made since he won the election - and the one that will com back to bite him in the future.

I just hope his other decisions are less suicidally stupid.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Nigelb said:

Interesting thread.
    Huge scepticism about China’s official figures in the comments, but I can’t see how they could hide a continuing outbreak elsewhere in the country for any great length of time...

Zero does seem a bit optimistic. I wonder if numbers are very considerably down, but not zero, and the Chinese government are "rounding that off" to zero for economic reasons.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    kinabalu said:

Scott_xP said:
    Politicians telling voters they are full of shit is something I would like to see an awful lot more of. Many voters ARE full of shit, let's face it, and therefore it is an example of that thing which so many people say they want to hear from politicians - the much fabled "telling it like it is".
    The famed "£80k isn't even in the top 50% of income" guy could have done with Burgon telling him he was full of shit.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    I wonder if landlords will give rent holidays?
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    isam said:

They're meant to be our representatives, not our betters I think? So they should talk to the public the same as they would if they weren't politicians, or if the public were
    I think there's a line to be walked. Expecting our representatives to be paragons of virtue, superlative in the legislative fields and inspiring political visionaries is being a bit unfair, but personally I don't think it unreasonable that when we give people power over us there is a reasonable expectation that they will be better on average, to hold them to a higher standard than a random person on the street.

Now, that doesn't mean we should expect them to never drop the professional facade in their interactions with us, each to their own, but I also don't agree that we would expect them to talk to the public in precisely the same way as if they were not politicians. They are performing a role as political leaders, and just as we don't talk the same at work as we do at home, or if we were up before a judge or in a rap battle, so too they will communicate in a different way in different situations and to different people. The fact is they are what they are, and while there is not a need for constant massaging of their every utterance toward us, it does not follow that they should act as though they are not politicians.

But there is always a place, even for politicians, to speak plainly, even forcefully.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,618
    Alistair said:

HYUFD said:
    Don't be ridiculous, as if landlords would ever think about anyone but themselves.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,713
    HYUFD said:
    I saw this interview this morning. Lisa was very poor. The sort of wibbling nonsense I thought she was able to rise above.

Alas it appears that this whole self identification issue is enough to get her tied up in knots.
  • Options

Hopefully that will be the case on many issues, in a good way, though we're a bit at his mercy there.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144
    BigRich said:

Italy update

260 new healed

That's a significant drop from yesterday, now the nation is in lock down, have they modified there policy on testing.
    Or the people tasked with doing the counting can't get out.

Or have the virus.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,429

HYUFD said:
    I saw this interview this morning. Lisa was very poor. The sort of wibbling nonsense I thought she was able to rise above.

Alas it appears that this whole self identification issue is enough to get her tied up in knots.
    Given how provocative Morgan was being, I think she comes out of this pretty well. And I have little time for the hundred gender folks.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,446
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,068

Also, on self-isolation after a skiing or any other kind of holiday, is it that easy?

Suppose Our Man into Tyrol manages to return to Barnes.

First, he has to get from Heathrow/Luton/Stansted Airport to Barnes.

Second, his cupboard is bare of milk, bread and supplies. There are long delays in getting supermarkets to deliver at the moment (a week in my part of the world).

Without friendly and accommodating neighbours, then it is not going to be so easy for a returning holiday-maker to self-isolate for 2 weeks.

It's not about complete self isolation

It's about changing the quantity of people you have physical interactions with. If you live in London, travel by tube to the office, where you spend time with a lot of people, you may be in close physical contact with 1,000 people a day.

Given the virus is currently doubling every six days, that means that it might mean that one to three of the six thousand people you have physical contact with over that period gets it.

Now, imagine you cut your physical contact down to 100 people a day. That means that instead of one to three people, it's 0.1 to 0.3 people that you pass it onto to. So long as everyone does this, then the number of new cases slows dramatically.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Interesting thread.

So, locking down an entire province might work?

• Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,385
    edited March 2020
    Donald Trump. ‘I do not intend to make this election about age. I will not exploit, for political purposes, my opponent’s senility and octogenarianism.’

Of course, that would be far too classy for Trump. He’llmore probably make up some series of lies linking Biden to the mafia. But how the actual fuck are we talking about a Democratic front runner who is older than the oldest first time president ever elected, and an alternative who is older than that?

I mean - how?
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,912
    BigRich said:

MikeL said:

People washing there hands better and more often?

Possibly combined with other spreading reducing meshurs e.g. not shacking hands, phoning in sick rather than going to work when starting to feel unwell.

Or just the usual day to day variability you get in count data.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144

HYUFD said:

She knows she has lost - so can say whatever she wants to say, rather than what is required to win votes.

But freed up to wibble ain't a great look.
  • Options

Interesting. Both Sanders and Biden advancing on Trump to similar degrees. The fallout from the virus must be already affecting him.

When Biden wins WH2020 I'll be happy (obvs) but there is going to be that little voice whispering to me, "We could have had Bernie!"
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    kinabalu said:

Winning Party Dems are still odds against. 2.02

I said they were value at 2.18 and I have backed them at 2.5.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,067

Italy update

260 new healed

dire death rate though
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Alistair said:

HYUFD said:
    Don't be ridiculous, as if landlords would ever think about anyone but themselves.
    I was being highly rhetorical.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Piers Morgan self identifies as a horse’s arse.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,551
    Given that the altercation was with an angry gun owner rather than an angry egg thrower fists would have been a less than optimal idea.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

The actual clip linked to there, she seems to handle it well. Piers gets himself into some weird place where he wants to self identify as a penguin and Nandy says it would be an improvement.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,551
    That is great news about America lifting the ban on British beef! Haggis next...
This discussion has been closed.