Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » My money’s on Layla Moran for Jo Swinson’s old job

Comments

• Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 4,151
    tpfkar said:

Hello everyone - haven't posted in a while (it's all been too depressing) but I thought I'd say that as someone with a vote I definitely won't be voting for Layla Moran.

I also haven't posted for a while for the same reason, and will be voting for Layla Moran, including for some of the reasons you cite against her. Not just the Oxfordshire stuff (although that's a factor), but also:
    -playing the soft anti-coalition card is a dead end. If you didn't like LDs in Government you'll vote Labour and you'll never appeal to anyone to vote Lib Dem by condemning your own record in Govt.
    I couldn't disagree more with that. You're saying that Lib Dem voters have to be happy with tuition fees, austerity and road-building. None of those were in the 2010 Lib Dem manifesto, they're not what I voted for in 2010, and I won't vote for a leader complicit in them.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 28,765
    edited March 2020

Coronavirus: UK tactics defended as cases expected to rise

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-51812326

Just wondering during the War did the media put out headlines like this that made people doubt if the leadership were doing the right thing?

I wonder whether we might need a Ministry of Information like we had during 1939-45 and 1918-19.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,942

I had my horoscope properly done once, many years ago. Nice lady I knew online, but I was, and am, deeply sceptical about such things. She seemed a little displeased I wasn't persuaded by her work.

I'm a Leo. The Lion.

"People born under the sign of Leo are natural born leaders. They are dramatic, creative, self-confident, dominant and extremely difficult to resist, able to achieve anything they want to in any area of life they commit to."

No surprises there, I guess.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

TGOHF666 said:
    Och, I was taking Nandy's car crash with a salty pinch, but If Arron's sockpuppet is saying it..
    Without even watching I'm going to guess that she said Trans people should have human rights.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 78,056
    edited March 2020

kle4 said:

TGOHF666 said:
    I've missed the detail on this, what's she done?
    The new Third Rail of left wing politics:

https://twitter.com/Bobatron87/status/1237285001793847296?s=20
    Oh god, I was joking last night when I said now here is 20 mins on trans-right pledge card.

At the moment, it doesn't f##king matter if some bloke now wants to self identify as a woman and lift some heavy weights in a competition. Or at what point after a transition is it fair for people to compete.

Why aren't we using this airtime to inform and educate the public, rather than try to score petty politics points.
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352

Just wondering during the War did the media put out headlines like this that made people doubt if the leadership were doing the right thing?

I'm not really sure the virus cares much if there's public disagreement on the correct course of action.

There is no guarantee the leadership are doing the right thing. Indeed they did the wrong thing many many times during the war, even with every 'expert' at their disposal.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 93,627

What does she know?

The decision to delay closing schools and introduce other strict measures to combat coronavirus has been defended by England's deputy chief medical officer.
    Dr Jenny Harries said experts are assessing new cases on an hourly basis to achieve a "balanced response".

She told BBC Breakfast new measures could follow as UK cases begin to rise rapidly over the next two weeks. In the UK, five people with the virus have died. There were 319 confirmed cases as of 09:00 GMT on Monday.

Dr Harries said the vast majority of those diagnosed with coronavirus in Britain are "pretty well" but that they may "feel rough for a few days".

She said cancelling big outdoor events like football matches would not necessarily be guided by science. "The virus will not survive very long outside," she said. "Many outdoor events, particularly, are safe."

Bring on the armchair epidemiologists, I say!

I saw that interview on the Beeb this morning.

Dr Harries strikes me as a serious person for a serious time. Very impressive.
    The annoying thing about a phased approach is when tougher measures are brought in the reaction will inevitably be to assume they should have been brought in sooner, even if there were sound reasons to wait.
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486

Coronabears having a tough morning today.

Is a coronabear someone who is doubtful of the prospect of coronavirus being a major issue, or someone who believes the coronavirus will have a major negative effect on the economy?
  • Options
    GideonWiseGideonWise Posts: 1,123

Freggles said:

Is WW2 Britain the go-to gold standard for press freedom in a democracy now?
    We are in a war. Spreading doubt and misinformation at this stage is really dangerous. We have to trust that the experts are doing the right thing. Spreading highly edited clips of Boris to imply he believes something he absolutely doesn't is absolutely disgusting.

If the public have widespread doubts and / or ignore official advice (as they are doing in Italy) it will only make things worse.

There will be a time afterwards when we can analyze the response and criticize the decisions.

However, I am 100% certain mistakes will be made, we just have to hope that overall the majority of decisions turn out to be correct.
    I can understand that view and I respect it. But there is an alternative view that if you are making a significant mistake then scrutiny of that process is essential.

There is still a window of opportunity right now to prevent a widespread outbreak here. Yesterday was a day lost. Tomorrow there is another opportunity. I think we only have this week to get serious though, fail to act now and it's just a case of how bad it is going to be.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 26,010
    edited March 2020
    kle4 said:

What does she know?

The decision to delay closing schools and introduce other strict measures to combat coronavirus has been defended by England's deputy chief medical officer.
    Dr Jenny Harries said experts are assessing new cases on an hourly basis to achieve a "balanced response".

She told BBC Breakfast new measures could follow as UK cases begin to rise rapidly over the next two weeks. In the UK, five people with the virus have died. There were 319 confirmed cases as of 09:00 GMT on Monday.

Dr Harries said the vast majority of those diagnosed with coronavirus in Britain are "pretty well" but that they may "feel rough for a few days".

She said cancelling big outdoor events like football matches would not necessarily be guided by science. "The virus will not survive very long outside," she said. "Many outdoor events, particularly, are safe."

Bring on the armchair epidemiologists, I say!

I saw that interview on the Beeb this morning.

Dr Harries strikes me as a serious person for a serious time. Very impressive.
    The annoying thing about a phased approach is when tougher measures are brought in the reaction will inevitably be to assume they should have been brought in sooner, even if there were sound reasons to wait.
    If you bring them in too early you end up relaxing them potentially too early... It's probably impossible to get the timing right but I wouldn't like to be deciding when the trigger point is..
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 60,101
    Alistair said:

TGOHF666 said:
    Och, I was taking Nandy's car crash with a salty pinch, but If Arron's sockpuppet is saying it..
    Without even watching I'm going to guess that she said Trans people should have human rights.
    https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/showbiz-tv/apologise-lisa-nandy-piers-morgan-17896046?

Morgan insisted he was "not attacking transgender rights" and again demanded Nandy say whether she felt it was fair for trans athletes with "superior strength and power" to enter in women's competitions.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 64,598

Alistair said:

TGOHF666 said:
    https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/showbiz-tv/apologise-lisa-nandy-piers-morgan-17896046?

Morgan insisted he was "not attacking transgender rights" and again demanded Nandy say whether she felt it was fair for trans athletes with "superior strength and power" to enter in women's competitions.
    It's an interesting question.

Is it fair for athletes with superior strength and power to enter competitions.... ?
  • Options
    edited March 2020

I'm not really sure the virus cares much if there's public disagreement on the correct course of action.

There is no guarantee the leadership are doing the right thing. Indeed they did the wrong thing many many times during the war, even with every 'expert' at their disposal.
    As I said last night and today, I am 100% sure mistakes will be made, but for all our sakes we have to hope they make many more right decisions than wrong.

Spreading doubt doesn't do us any good, as people will just repeat what happened in Italy...oh crap lock down, quick run, oh crap, lets all queue in the supermarket.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 26,233
    Nigelb said:

Alistair said:

TGOHF666 said:

Is it fair for athletes with superior strength and power to enter competitions.... ?
    Are you suggesting we abandon womens' sport?
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 26,233
    Freggles said:

Coronabears having a tough morning today.

Is a coronabear someone who is doubtful of the prospect of coronavirus being a major issue, or someone who believes the coronavirus will have a major negative effect on the economy?
    The former would be a coronabull.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,667
    Flanner said:

Mr. Walker, aye. The Lib Dems had a bit of a purple patch but the revocation policy was a clear case of getting high on her own supply for Swinson. It needlessly put off both moderate Remainers and any shade of Leaver, as well as being far less likely to ever come off than a referendum because the former required an outright Lib Dem majority and the latter just needed the Conservatives to be without a majority.

It's short-sighted to blame Swinson for the Revoke policy.
    The policy was put to the annual conference, and passed overwhelmingly with scarcely a hint of dissent. It's a classic example - common in all three major national parties - of the groupthink that can overtake party activists.

And symptomatic, in my view, of the insanity of the past 20 years' "democratic" reforms of Party policy making throughout the major parties.

Mind you: the least successful parties in British history (those invented by the late and unmissed Farage) all took decision making to the opposite extreme, and followed whatever silly nonsense their Leader had dreamt up. And look where that got them.
    *puts hand up at the back of the class*

Brexit, Sir?
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 4,151
    Nigelb said:

Alistair said:

TGOHF666 said:

It's not remotely an interesting question for the job of leadership of the Labour party. It's not like she's being interviewed for chief exec of the IOC.

What next, is Piers going to phone Boris Johnson and ask him his opinion about the final 3km crash rule in the Tour de France?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Alistair said:

TGOHF666 said:

Each may have their own views on fairness but it is probably worth thinking through the consequences. I think it's fairly likely that women's sport will largely whither away both in terms of competitors bothering to train and the general public having any interest.
  • Options
    edited March 2020

Freggles said:

We are in a war. Spreading doubt and misinformation at this stage is really dangerous. We have to trust that the experts are doing the right thing. Spreading highly edited clips of Boris to imply he believes something he absolutely doesn't is absolutely disgusting.

If the public have widespread doubts and / or ignore official advice (as they are doing in Italy) it will only make things worse.

There will be a time afterwards when we can analyze the response and criticize the decisions.

However, I am 100% certain mistakes will be made, we just have to hope that overall the majority of decisions turn out to be correct.
    I can understand that view and I respect it. But there is an alternative view that if you are making a significant mistake then scrutiny of that process is essential.

There is still a window of opportunity right now to prevent a widespread outbreak here. Yesterday was a day lost. Tomorrow there is another opportunity. I think we only have this week to get serious though, fail to act now and it's just a case of how bad it is going to be.
    That's a fair point, but most of the criticism is from journalists who have no background in this. Simply shouting but but but Italy, and then have the CMO explain why we aren't currently following that procedure, for another journalist to stand up and shout but but but Italy.

The press conference with Boris felt very much like the standard approach of trying to score petty political points by the press, especially given the dislike of him for Brexit and also the whole Cummings stuff where they don't treat the press with full respect.
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    Ambrose EP is sounding particularly doom-laden today, which suggests to me the market be reaching a bottom....
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:
    As shocking as finding out Harry Redknapp will endorse anything for a few quid.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Nigelb said:

Alistair said:

TGOHF666 said:

No one is born with super strength and power. There's some natural variability, but ultimately training has the dominant effect within a sex.

There are currently records being broken that will likely never be matched by someone who is biologically female.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Nigelb said:

Alistair said:

TGOHF666 said:

Not if that superior strength and power is artificially attained, no it isn't.

If its naturally attained with what you were born with, plus a good diet, hard work and exercise then yes it is.
  • Options

Freggles said:

That's a fair point, but most of the criticism is from journalists who have no background in this. Simply shouting but but but Italy, and then have the CMO explain why we aren't currently following that procedure, for another journalist to stand up and shout but but but Italy.

The press conference with Boris felt very much like the standard approach of trying to score petty political points by the press.
    I know and it is not ideal. But to certain extent that's just how our process works. I think the journalists are probably reflecting some spectrum of wider public opinion now and so perhaps that is appropriate if done in a considered and calm way.

But ultimately, what we say has zero impact. Like you, I just hope our experts are making the right call more often than not. I hope they are not wedded to a dysfunctional plan, like Theresa May was.
  • Options

Freggles said:

The press conference with Boris felt very much like the standard approach of trying to score petty political points by the press.
    I know and it is not ideal. But to certain extent that's just how our process works. I think the journalists are probably reflecting some spectrum of wider public opinion now and so perhaps that is appropriate if done in a considered and calm way.

But ultimately, what we say has zero impact. Like you, I just hope our experts are making the right call more often than not. I hope they are not wedded to a dysfunctional plan, like Theresa May was.
    One advantage of Boris over May, May would have set up some really lengthy consultation process, then definitely stick to some rigid plan because that was her nature.

Boris more than happy to U-Turn in a split second and have no qualms about arguing something different tomorrow from yesterday.
  • Options
    Gabs3Gabs3 Posts: 836

Leyla Moran, the same one who is alleged to have slapped her husband in the face

Domestic violence only matters when men do it.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,418
    Totally O/t, but I've just been cold-called by a very nicely spoken lady, who sounded mature and sensible, who was trying to sell me some sort of service related to the cavity wall insulation becoming damp, contributing to damp in the house and detracting from the heating.
    Sounded like a scam to me, but am I misjudging her?
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,880
    kinabalu said:

I had my horoscope properly done once, many years ago. Nice lady I knew online, but I was, and am, deeply sceptical about such things. She seemed a little displeased I wasn't persuaded by her work.

I'm a Leo. The Lion.

"People born under the sign of Leo are natural born leaders. They are dramatic, creative, self-confident, dominant and extremely difficult to resist, able to achieve anything they want to in any area of life they commit to."

I've often wondered when all the arseholes were born, as all the star sign summaries seem to be mostly positive traits :wink:
  • Options

Anecdote alert. Many years I was in a group who were talking about 'getting published'. One member said that they'd been offered the chance of doing the horoscope for a regional (IIRC) paper and........ and this is where the story really starts..... had to decided to be scientific about it, so got out her Tarot cards and worked through carefully each week. Apparently she got supportive correspondence. However one week she was going on holiday so sent in two separate weeks forecasts, which became muddled. Week 2's was published instead of week 1's. However, she still got appreciative letters.

Friend of mine had a summer job at a regional newspaper, when a student - and lost the weekly horoscopes. Horror! So she made them up. She gave everyone a great week.

Nobody spotted it, including the person who wrote the original horoscope. Which maybe suggests they don't bother reading them....
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,716
    edited March 2020

Totally O/t, but I've just been cold-called by a very nicely spoken lady, who sounded mature and sensible, who was trying to sell me some sort of service related to the cavity wall insulation becoming damp, contributing to damp in the house and detracting from the heating.

Dampproofing companies are very pushy, and some are known as borderline dodgy in the industry. I would say avoid, unless you've been told you have a specific damp problem, and have a recommended company.
  • Options
    I've got so used to eadric's daily doom, I'm almost surprised he's not here.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 12,024
    Ha ha - arguably even less hygienic as a formal greeting.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,306

Has he succumbed? :o
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

Nigelb said:

Alistair said:

TGOHF666 said:

If its naturally attained with what you were born with, plus a good diet, hard work and exercise then yes it is.
    It depends which competitions. Should Tyson Fury box as a featherweight?
  • Options
    Selebian said:

kinabalu said:

I'm a Leo. The Lion.

I've often wondered when all the arseholes were born, as all the star sign summaries seem to be mostly positive traits :wink:
    A friend used to keep obituaries - and their stars for the week they died.

Kept him amused.....
  • Options
    eadric said:

RobD said:

Hello!
    It appears I have summoned him. :o
  • Options
    eadric said:

RobD said:

Hello!
    His name was said too many times! :wink:
  • Options
    RobD said:

eadric said:

RobD said:

Hello!
    Whatever you do, do NOT say his name three times.....
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Nigelb said:

Alistair said:

TGOHF666 said:

No because he's medically not a featherweight.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Arguably????
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,294

Avoid.

Had similar calls re shares.

Worth checking phone number and comments.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

Nigelb said:

Alistair said:

TGOHF666 said:

He might start identifying as a featherweight. Who are you to tell people what weight they are?
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,314
    The lurgi gives me the shivers but Layla gives me the willies.
  • Options
    Good news when we are all locked down...Osarks Season 3 is out in couple of weeks.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 12,036
    Selebian said:

kinabalu said:

I'm a Leo. The Lion.

The proof of astrology to me is in the fact that the Queen and Robert Smith out of The Cure share 21 April as a birthday. Two more similar characters and destinies you could not possibly imagine.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    RobD said:

eadric said:

RobD said:

Hello!
    And you didn't take the precaution of drawing a pentacle and baptising each of its points with gin and vermouth?
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

Cookie said:

Arguably????
    I suppose it depends how long the latex gloves are.
  • Options
    Sticky wicker, Worcestershire will be glad Underwood retired.

https://twitter.com/DaveThroupEA/status/1237329672502902789
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,419
    DougSeal said:

Selebian said:

kinabalu said:

I'm a Leo. The Lion.

The proof of astrology to me is in the fact that the Queen and Robert Smith out of The Cure share 21 April as a birthday. Two more similar characters and destinies you could not possibly imagine.
    Spooky. They've both lived in towns in which I've lived.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,942
    edited March 2020
    Selebian said:

:smile: - I did just post the positive side.

Different topic. If anybody fancies a break from the Sickness and a plunge into how Trump has weaponized anti "Political Correctness" -

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/nov/30/political-correctness-how-the-right-invented-phantom-enemy-donald-trump
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    British lady in Italian ski resort showing video of loads of people queuing to get their money back for ski lifts....head desk thud.

Most important think not getting the virus or spreading to others...no that £200 a spent on a lift pass.
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,990

Freggles said:

The press conference with Boris felt very much like the standard approach of trying to score petty political points by the press, especially given the dislike of him for Brexit and also the whole Cummings stuff where they don't treat the press with full respect.
    If the press conference is specifically about Corona, wouldn't it make more sense to send the health and science journalists rather than the politics journalists?
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    Selebian said:

kinabalu said:

I'm a Leo. The Lion.

That is when Uranus is in the ascendency. Can overlap any star sign,
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

WG would have been happy to bat on such a surface.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,160
    Mr. Flanner, fair to say that the blame can be spread but Swinson didn't oppose the move.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,286

Nigelb said:

Alistair said:

TGOHF666 said:

There's natural variability within populations - those adapted genetically & who train the hardest for their sports will end up on top. One of the biggest factors to improved potential is being biologically male
    We've had a rule that female and male competitors should be seperate. It needs to be updated in my view to "female" and "open" with the female cat being only open to those born female and currently female. Everyone else can compete in the "open" cat.
    That removes Rachel McKinnon from the female cat. Intersex and both m2f and f2m athletes should compete in the open cat.
    I'm not sure where Semenya should compete, that's a harder question. Semenya shouldn't need to take T-inhibitors if categorised as female though, if that's the case it's simply normal genetic variability within the female sex.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,928

IshmaelZ said:

Nigelb said:

Alistair said:

TGOHF666 said:

Yes, but ‘medically’ has nothing to do with it.

Fighting weight is merely a social construct, if he chooses to self-identify as a featherweight then it’s none of anyone else’s business and he must be allowed to compete as a featherweight. It’s certainly nothing to do with the existing featherweights, they just have to deal with it.
  • Options

British lady in Italian ski resort showing video of loads of people queuing to get their money back for ski lifts....head desk thud.

Most important think not getting the virus or spreading to others...no that £200 a spent on a lift pass.

Fk I hadn't realised they had shut them all down.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

IshmaelZ said:

Nigelb said:

Alistair said:

TGOHF666 said:

Fighting weight is merely a social construct, if he chooses to self-identify as a featherweight then it’s none of anyone else’s business and he must be allowed to compete as a featherweight. It’s certainly nothing to do with the existing featherweights, they just have to deal with it.
    Weight is easier to deal with than sex when it comes to edge case sporting categorisation though.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Alistair said:

TGOHF666 said:

It's not remotely an interesting question for the job of leadership of the Labour party. It's not like she's being interviewed for chief exec of the IOC.

What next, is Piers going to phone Boris Johnson and ask him his opinion about the final 3km crash rule in the Tour de France?
    I have no idea what the final 3km crash rule is, but one of the wierdest sports rules I know is the "Infield Fly Ball Rule" in baseball. We could ask Boris his opinion about that aswell.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 93,627

Good news when we are all locked down...Osarks Season 3 is out in couple of weeks.

Excellent.
    Cookie said:

Well sure, but you really get to know people. They say you can tell a lot from a handshake but I suspect this is more robust.
  • Options
    While awaiting these results, doctors in the US, China and Italy are already using remdesivir on a compassionate basis to treat small numbers of patients with severe Covid-19. The first US patient, a 35-year-old man in Snohomish County, Washington, recovered, but the full trials are needed to assess whether the drug reduces the severity of symptoms and, crucially, mortality rates.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/10/hopes-rise-over-experimental-drugs-effectiveness-against-coronavirus

What does "compassionate basis" mean?
  • Options
    philiph said:

Selebian said:

kinabalu said:

I'm a Leo. The Lion.

That is when Uranus is in the ascendency. Can overlap any star sign,
    LIKE!!!!
  • Options
    Nottingham Forest owner Evangelos Marinakis, who was at the Championship football team’s home game on Friday alongside more than 27,000 fans, has contracted coronavirus.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 19,596
    edited March 2020
    dr_spyn said:

It looks like the Derby County football ground always did.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Pulpstar said:

Nigelb said:

Alistair said:

TGOHF666 said:

There's natural variability within populations - those adapted genetically & who train the hardest for their sports will end up on top. One of the biggest factors to improved potential is being biologically male
    We've had a rule that female and male competitors should be seperate. It needs to be updated in my view to "female" and "open" with the female cat being only open to those born female and currently female. Everyone else can compete in the "open" cat.
    That removes Rachel McKinnon from the female cat. Intersex and both m2f and f2m athletes should compete in the open cat.
    I'm not sure where Semenya should compete, that's a harder question. Semenya shouldn't need to take T-inhibitors if categorised as female though, if that's the case it's simply normal genetic variability within the female sex.
    IIRC most sports are actually categorised into ‘female’ and ‘open’ at the moment. There’s no reason a woman can’t play in the Premier League if she makes the team, and we saw a woman qualify for and progress through the world darts championship earlier this year. Equestrian events and motorsports have been gender-neutral for decades.

Semanya is a very difficult case, for biological reasons.
  • Options

While awaiting these results, doctors in the US, China and Italy are already using remdesivir on a compassionate basis to treat small numbers of patients with severe Covid-19. The first US patient, a 35-year-old man in Snohomish County, Washington, recovered, but the full trials are needed to assess whether the drug reduces the severity of symptoms and, crucially, mortality rates.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/10/hopes-rise-over-experimental-drugs-effectiveness-against-coronavirus

Poor sod will die if we don't do SOMETHING.

Also, perchance in the US, he's offered us squillions.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,429
    edited March 2020
    dr_spyn said:
    typo

Khan.. a dickhead
  • Options
    The start of the UK peak of the coronavirus epidemic is expected within the next fortnight, England’s deputy chief medical officer has said.
  • Options

Nottingham Forest owner Evangelos Marinakis, who was at the Championship football team’s home game on Friday alongside more than 27,000 fans, has contracted coronavirus.

HERE WE GO
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

IshmaelZ said:

Nigelb said:

Alistair said:

TGOHF666 said:

Weight is easier to deal with than sex when it comes to edge case sporting categorisation though.
    If I want to self-identify as 60kg, why should I be forced into the 80kg category? I’d be much happier fighting 60kg opponents, thanks very much!
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

dr_spyn said:

WG would have been happy to bat on such a surface.
    Reminds me of the stories Tony Cozier used to tell about the reverse line-ups. The wicket was so "sticky" that the time taken to clear the tail out the way allowed the wicket to improve a little for the proper batsmen.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

IshmaelZ said:

Nigelb said:

Alistair said:

TGOHF666 said:

If I want to self-identify as 60kg, why should I be forced into the 80kg category? I’d be much happier fighting 60kg opponents, thanks very much!
    Scales provide the pure unbias truth on weight. You could try and sweat off 20 KG before the weigh in, you might die come fight night though.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Alistair said:

TGOHF666 said:

Trans atheletes have been able to compete at Olympic events for 16 years now. I take it every single women's champion is a trans then?
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,716
    edited March 2020
    Pulpstar said:

HERE WE GO
    One of the senior UK medical staff has been saying that the virus is less likely to be caught in the open air, because it can't survive long there, so that the virus is more likely to be caught in large indoor than outdoor gatherings - not sure of the relevance of that, but it seemed worth mentioning.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 19,596

Alistair said:

TGOHF666 said:

Given the rights that some Transgenderists are asking for, such as to designate random people as "haters" and extirpate them from the Labour Party, attacking 'transgender rights' is extremely rational.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

HERE WE GO
    One of the senior UK medical staff has been saying that the virus is less likely to be caught in the open air, and that it can't survive long there, so that the virus is more likely to be caught in large indoor than outdoor gatherings - not sure of the relevance of that, but it seemed worth mentioning.
    And that the infection rate was similar at a pub and at a large stadium. You are only going to infect those in your immediate vicinity.
  • Options

dr_spyn said:
    typo

Khan.. a dickhead
    You might think that, but I could not possibly comment.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,305
    edited March 2020
    eristdoof said:

I have no idea what the final 3km crash rule is, but one of the wierdest sports rules I know is the "Infield Fly Ball Rule" in baseball. We could ask Boris his opinion about that aswell.

GC standings in UCI races of 2.2 classification and higher aren't affected by crashes or mechanicals in the last 3km of the stage - you can still lose time by being beaten.

It was uncodified but observed in cycling but made it in to the rule book in early 70s.

I was a stagiaire on Système U when I was at university in France and the old timers would sometimes fake a mechanical in the last 3km to get on the bus quicker! We also doped. A lot.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

IshmaelZ said:

Nigelb said:

Alistair said:

TGOHF666 said:

Scales provide the pure unbias truth on weight. You could try and sweat off 20 KG before the weigh in, you might die come fight night though.
    And a Y chromosome provides the pure unbiased truth on biological gender too.
  • Options
    edited March 2020

The use of an unapproved drug. Basically, "we can't be sure it will work or won't have side-effects but it's better than nothing given the seriousness of your condition".

• Options

In that context, it means willing to try anything, even if it’s not approved or recommended.

It’s an unapproved and unsactioned prescription, but both patient and doctor understand the risks and are happy to proceed on that basis.

Ironically, for all the apparent chaos in the US, they’re the most likely place to stumble across a solution, because of the willingness to do stuff like this.
  • Options

It's not yet a licensed drug, but authorities can grant dispensation for its use in such circumstances (outside of a formal clinical trial).
  • Options
    The telegraph is reporting that the virus may have been circulating in Italy undetected for almost a month. No wonder things are so bad there.
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    eadric said:

Friend of a friend anecdote. Boss of a $25 billion pharma company

“We are in deep trouble”

Most of my very smart, very rich friends are now crapping themselves. My poor friends don’t seem very worried, or they don’t believe the hype, or are actively intrigued by the potential turmoil.

It’s a fascinating contrast. It’s Brexit times a trillion.

It's the negative bias in play. We value what we lose more than what we gain. The rich have more to lose, but most of the time can use their assets to protect themselves. Here, they are as vulnerable as the rest of us, so they panic more.
  • Options
    eadric said:

“We are in deep trouble”

But Biogen's market cap is twice that....
    https://endpts.com/tally-of-coronavirus-cases-at-biogen-grows-and-cowen-cautions-conference-attendees-are-being-tested-now/
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

IshmaelZ said:

Nigelb said:

Alistair said:

TGOHF666 said:

Scales are a social construct. If I choose to self-identify as 60kg than you have to respect that, you fattist bigot.
    < / TitaniaMcGrath >
  • Options
    RobD said:

The telegraph is reporting that the virus may have been circulating in Italy undetected for almost a month. No wonder things are so bad there.

It has been in the US for that long if not longer. And Mr Orange Man is still saying nothing to see here. Big gulp.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,200
    OT this is the kind of social activism I can get behind

https://staythefuckhome.com/
  • Options
    eadric said:

“We are in deep trouble”

Most of my very smart, very rich friends are now crapping themselves. My poor friends don’t seem very worried, or they don’t believe the hype, or are actively intrigued by the potential turmoil.

It's partly that wealthy people tend not to think that stuff happens to them.
    And get very worried when they realise it might.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

IshmaelZ said:

Nigelb said:

Alistair said:

TGOHF666 said:

And a Y chromosome provides the pure unbiased truth on biological gender too.
    I'm not sure we should allow F2M trans athletes into the women's cat.
  • Options
    TrèsDifficileTrèsDifficile Posts: 1,729
    Isn't Moran in a relationship with (alleged?) EU referendum cheat Rosy Cobb? Who tried to cover up her cheating by (allegedly?) committing forgery?
  • Options
    TimT said:

eadric said:

“We are in deep trouble”

It's the negative bias in play. We value what we lose more than what we gain. The rich have more to lose, but most of the time can use their assets to protect themselves. Here, they are as vulnerable as the rest of us, so they panic more.
    My country is Kiltartan Cross,
    My countrymen Kiltartan’s poor,
    No likely end could bring them loss
    Or leave them happier than before.

I kept thinking that about Brexit, and it's true about most other outcomes too.
  • Options
    eadric said:

“We are in deep trouble”

I'm sure the $25 billion pharma boss will be just fine. They could kit out their own health team with medics etc.

I think the problem might be the societal collapse around them.

Also the business model of big pharma might come under a bit more scrutiny. Such as, why are we spending a shit tonne of money stopping a relatively small number of people from dying from cancer when a global pandemic will just come and wipe out a far bigger number?

Will sound a bit daft in hindsight.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Alistair said:

TGOHF666 said:

Trans atheletes have been able to compete at Olympic events for 16 years now. I take it every single women's champion is a trans then?
    The female European shot-putt champion in 1986 is a trans, ... but the other way round. She sex-changed to Andreas Krieger after her athletics career to a large extent because of the steroids she was given.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andreas_Krieger
  • Options
    On topic I'm voting enthusiastically for Davey. The longer time goes on the more the buffoonery of the Tories will wind up all but the tiniest of brain. That leaves space in the middle for someone who looks relatable and not bonkers to ask the obvious questions and point to another way forward.

On paper you might think Starmer could do that. Assuming that RLB isn't simply anointed as the winner having won over "the silent majority" of course. But if he does win despite the obvious ballot rigging he has had to triangulate so hard that he can't just shake off the lunatics and loony left policies - especially if a nutter is elected as deputy.

Which leaves the LibDems. What goes down can go back up again. Davey presents himself well, has a sense of humour, asks smart questions, and can and will point to LibDem successes in government sadly lacking since 2015.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Sandpit said:

In that context, it means willing to try anything, even if it’s not approved or recommended.

It’s an unapproved and unsactioned prescription, but both patient and doctor understand the risks and are happy to proceed on that basis.

Ironically, for all the apparent chaos in the US, they’re the most likely place to stumble across a solution, because of the willingness to do stuff like this.
    Conpassionate use is hardly confined to the US.
    And there are plenty who'd disagree with you that the FDA is unusually willing to sanction the use of unlicensed drugs to a greater extent than is the practice elsewhere.

They do have rather more biotechs than the rest of us, though.
This discussion has been closed.