Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » My money’s on Layla Moran for Jo Swinson’s old job

SystemSystem Posts: 11,730
edited March 2020 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » My money’s on Layla Moran for Jo Swinson’s old job

s

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    First like the Lib Dems will never be.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,290
    edited March 2020
    Should be on Davey.

Davey beats Moran 52% to 24% with Cooper on 9% according to a January Yougov poll of LD members.

Given almost all the LD target seats are also Tory Remain seats Davey's Coalition record will not harm him with Tory Remainers

https://www.libdemvoice.org/yougov-poll-on-lib-dem-leadership-ed-davey-is-a-country-mile-ahead-with-caveats-galore-63298.html
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    HYUFD said:

Should be on Davey.

Davey beats Moran 52% to 24% with Cooper on 9% according to a January Yougov poll of LD members.

Given almost all the LD target seats are also Tory Remain seats Davey's Coalition record will not harm him with Tory Remainers

https://www.libdemvoice.org/yougov-poll-on-lib-dem-leadership-ed-davey-is-a-country-mile-ahead-with-caveats-galore-63298.html

That was then - this is now
  • Options
    DayTripperDayTripper Posts: 129
    Going back to COVID-19 (oh, God, no, I hear you say) and Darwin awards, I assume that if and when a vaccine is developed, all those anti-vaxxers will refuse it on principle.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,290
    edited March 2020

HYUFD said:

Should be on Davey.

That was then - this is now
    That was less than 2 months ago and I doubt much has changed
  • Options
    DayTripperDayTripper Posts: 129

Going back to COVID-19 (oh, God, no, I hear you say) and Darwin awards, I assume that if and when a vaccine is developed, all those anti-vaxxers will refuse it on principle.

....which would presumably include Trump.
  • Options
    FPT
    eristdoof said:

Thanks, that's what I'd expect. If schools close then children will continue to mingle, but with the added effect of visiting grandparents much more often on top of the fact they're still mingling.

While its nice for grandparents to see grandchildren I don't see why removing a school nurse and school teacher's supervision of children and replacing it with grandparents doing so is medical progress.

We are going round in circles here.
    eristdoof said:

Given the unscheduled closure of schools is counterproductive why would that be sensible? Having children contained within the school environment is better than having them as a diaspora looked after by grandparents etc putting the elderly at more risk.

It is not as clear cut as you make out. Most school children are not at school for 24 hours a day, and if the grandparents live nearby, the children will meet their grandparents regularly anyway. The commuting aspect of day time at school and night time with the family spreads the virus more quickly than day and night with the family.

Your point is valid, but is not the only factor in the argument.
    Yes children aren't in school 24/7 but my point is about unscheduled closures. Most families have scheduled arrangements for termtime, eg one parent working part time during school hours. Unscheduled closures throw all that in the air and disperse children far and wide at short notice which is what the Italians did and the opposite of what our scientists are advising atm.

If our scientists and the Italians early actions are disagreeing then I for one would back our scientists every time!
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

And that the Ho ho ho, let's laugh at the panickers lot will decline the offer of an ICU bed and a ventilator if they need one, just to prove how devil may care they are and how relevant the road death statistics are to their plight.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,587
    @Ishmael_Z fpt
    TOPPING said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

An Italian doctor’s advice...

(Thread advising stricter measures sooner than later, which goes more than a bit eadric... though from direct experience.)
    https://twitter.com/jasonvanschoor/status/1237142891077697538

Yes, that is what it is very likely to be like here in a fortnight. North Italy has an excellent health care system, dont fall for lazy stereotypes. You either get ahead of the game, or you wait to act. The Italians look to be chasing the game, but I hope that the measures yesterday stop further spread within that country and beyond.
    So you were firmly of the belief that PHE were doing well last week. Sounds like doubts might be creeping in now? I've fluctuated but unfortunately back into the negative now. Too slow.
    I think it's tricky so I'm reluctant to criticise, but I don't like the very clear suggestion from the Chief Scientist yesterday that they're holding back some measures because people would get impatient if they lasted too long. There I think a strong political lead is needed - Boris could use some of his considerable capital on it and come out ahead. "We are acting now to prevent numerous avoidable additional deaths. It will mean a long period of inconvenience for many. Put up with it - you are protecting yourself and fellow-Britons from dying unnecessarily." I expect he'll do just that in a few days, but IMO he should get on with it.
    Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain. The "hurr hurr hurr, panicking bedwetters buying loorolls" mentality is here to stay until we start running out of ICU beds in a few weeks, when it will vanish like snow in summer. Why not wait until that huge resistance has evaporated rather than waste energy contending with it, may be the thinking.
    I think you're right, that's what it is. But politicians sometimes need to lead rather than wait for people to panic first. I'm not being especially critical of Johnson - I see it's a delicate balance. But I think it's tipped to more action being needed now.
    "Never give an order if you think it might not be obeyed" is apparently what they tell young army officers.
    Nothing I remember from RMAS. Then again most of it was a blur.

The one thing I do remember, from a book on leadership they give cadets, is a quote from Hannibal. Perhaps relevant to some of our more excitable posters:

"Fools, would you live forever?"
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172

The LibDems have a Death Wish.

Layla will give them what they want.
  • Options
    Interesting text from a former work colleague

Hi We were due to board Grand Princess 7th March San Francisco round trip Hawaii Islands. On Thursday 5th just one hour before our taxi was due for Manchester airport I opened my e:mail account and Princess had cancelled our trip received mail at 05.20 on the 5th. All monies have been refunded already + a bonus of 100% of the cruise cost added to any other cruise which amounts to £3,300 for the two of us🚢👍 we are on the Island Princess for 28 days Southampton round trip Baltic/Iceland June 25th. That's if it sails then? Will keep you updated. Regards
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Good to know though that amidst the Covid 19 outbreak we don't forget the things that matter, like the LD leadership election

I was surprised when Layla Moran announced she was running. I genuinely thought it was all over and didn't Sir Ed win it? You mean it's still going?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,587

Hi We were due to board Grand Princess 7th March San Francisco round trip Hawaii Islands. On Thursday 5th just one hour before our taxi was due for Manchester airport I opened my e:mail account and Princess had cancelled our trip received mail at 05.20 on the 5th. All monies have been refunded already + a bonus of 100% of the cruise cost added to any other cruise which amounts to £3,300 for the two of us🚢👍 we are on the Island Princess for 28 days Southampton round trip Baltic/Iceland June 25th. That's if it sails then? Will keep you updated. Regards

At least getting the plague at a later date will be very much cheaper.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

I hope this is not indefinite
  • Options
    BA cancels all flights to and from Italy from today
  • Options
    Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 2,781
    The LibDems played a constructive role in efficient government between 2010 and 2015. Since then they've run around saying they weren't there, they didn't do it, they shouldn't have done it and they'll never do it again. Voters have reacted accordingly. What difference would Moran make?
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,182
    Sanders is expected to lose all the contests today to Biden according to the latest Betfair Exchange odds.
  • Options
    Breaking

France suspends its Parliament after 5 mps contract covid 19
  • Options

The LibDems played a constructive role in efficient government between 2010 and 2015. Since then they've run around saying they weren't there, they didn't do it, they shouldn't have done it and they'll never do it again. Voters have reacted accordingly. What difference would Moran make?

Simultaneously their coalition partners who have claimed the credit for being in government and not turned their back on it have gone from strength to strength increasing their vote share 3 elections in a row to now having an 80 seat majority.
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,551
    edited March 2020
    No way back for LDs under Moran. I fear she would turn the party even further into an echo chamber that fails to focus on the national priorities.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Even when it subsides, I doubt it will vanish. And the challenge the cruise industry faces is that it's the worst place to be for any sort of infection. At least on a plane trip you can be ultra-careful and wash your hands and the rest, and hope no-one sitting near you is a carrier. On a cruise ship it's almost impossible to stay completely safe, and all of the obvious things, like gel dispensers everywhere, are already standard procedure.

I think it'll be a long time before the industry recovers. You retired from being a cruiser at just the right time.
  • Options
    Leyla Moran, the same one who is alleged to have slapped her husband in the face
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,048
    Well, made a few decisions this morning.

I run a number of organisations and have events both weekly and annually.

So today I cancelled all weekly meetings of the volunteer archaeology group that I run. Most people are retired and so fall into the most 'at risk' group and I don't want our meetings to be the cause of any spread.

I also run two very large trade shows for the toy soldier industry, one in May and one in October. Last week I contacted everyone involved to let them know that we will be making a final decision on 2nd April but that in all likelihood we will be cancelling the May show. Several thousand mostly middle aged and retired men together is probably not a great idea at the moment.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Even when it subsides, I doubt it will vanish. And the challenge the cruise industry faces is that it's the worst place to be for any sort of infection. At least on a plane trip you can be ultra-careful and wash your hands and the rest, and hope no-one sitting near you is a carrier. On a cruise ship it's almost impossible to stay completely safe, and all of the obvious things, like gel dispensers everywhere, are already standard procedure.

I think it'll be a long time before the industry recovers. You retired from being a cruiser at just the right time.
    Being at the races I don't have usual access. What's your call on the Dow? What are the futures doing?
  • Options

Leyla Moran, the same one who is alleged to have slapped her husband in the face

Not alleged, she admitted it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-47686844

• Options
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

I agree with you and are so grateful that we enjoyed so many cruises but had decided not to sail again before covid 19
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,161
    edited March 2020
    On topic, the LibDems' main problem is getting noticed, especially between elections, and Layla Moran is interesting and good on telly. If Labour weren't going with Starmer then there might be a case for being the only boringly-professional-looking party, but it sounds like they are going with Starmer, so that's that.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Being at the races I don't have usual access. What's your call on the Dow? What are the futures doing?
    Not sure on Dow but ...

FTSE up 4%, Nikkei up nearly 1% and Hang Seng up 1.4%, so Dow probably will have a bounce too..
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited March 2020

On topic, the LibDems' main problem is getting noticed, especially between elections, and Layla Moran is interesting and good on telly. If Labour weren't going with Starmer then there might be a case for being the only boringly-professional-looking party, but it sounds like they are going with Starmer, so that's that.

She'll do much better than Davey would have done, I'd say. But they're starting from a low base.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,713
    edited March 2020
    I was at the headquarters talking to the head of a (not huge but important) charity yesterday, they are looking at cancelling some major events in May and June.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Not sure on Dow but ...

FTSE up 4%, Nikkei up nearly 1% and Hang Seng up 1.4%, so Dow probably will have a bounce too..
    Thanks
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,075
    Interesting take or conspiracy theory, depending on your point of view.
    Trevor Philips and Kier Starmer are both members of the same constituency Labour Party.
    https://conservativewoman.co.uk/corbyn-and-the-nobbling-of-trevor-phillips/
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,713

No way back for LDs under Moran. I fear she would turn the party even further into an echo chamber that fails to focus on the national priorities.

Yeah, I can't see her reaching out beyond 10-15 opinion pollwise, if that.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193
    HYUFD said:

Good to know though that amidst the Covid 19 outbreak we don't forget the things that matter, like the LD leadership election

These are grim times. You get your laughs where you can.
  • Options
    edited March 2020

That may be their upper limit at the moment. The coalition years are not popular outside the Tory core vote, and Davey's ceiling might be more like 10. I would see him as having very similar prospects to Farron.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,890
    Layla would be the end of the Lib Dems.
    Davey will maintain their irrelevance, Moran would consign them to ignominy.

Daisy Cooper is the best choice.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

I am out with the dog so not watching closely, but today is starting with s bounce

Good news for cruisers ; the Carnival shares you need to get the shareholder extra spending money that used to cost £4000 can now be picked up for £1800
  • Options

That may be their upper limit at the moment. The coalition years are not popular outside the Tory core vote, and Davey's ceiling might be more like 10. I would see him as having very similar prospects to Farron.
    Their former coalition partners got 47.2% of the vote in England while they got 12.4%

If 47.2% of the vote is the "Tory core vote" then I can live with that!
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193

I was at the headquarters talking to the head of a (not huge but important) charity yesterday, they are looking at cancelling some major events in May and June.

We'll hold off until April to confirm, but it looks like our Dart Music Festival - biggest free festival in the SW - will have to be axed for 2020.
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,819

I think the Lib Dems main problem is the UK election system.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388

TOPPING said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Not sure on Dow but ...

Dow expected open is 24,925 +1,048, which is about the same rise as the FTSE
  • Options

Their former coalition partners got 47.2% of the vote in England while they got 12.4%

If 47.2% of the vote is the "Tory core vote" then I can live with that!
    A large chunk of this was on the back of hope of a change from the coalition years ; an end to austerity, higher spending, and a populist nationalist narrative ahead of an economic one.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118
    Layla Moran has applied for a job at Ace Visual and Sound Systems in Thorne, S Yorks?

All the best Layla
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,686

kamski said:

kamski said:

Dura_Ace said:

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

Will be interesting if this sinks him. Mind you, watching the prayer circle when VP Pence took "command" the hicks will be praying that Trump brings them salvation as they start to die

Why do people keep on mocking this point?

It’s not uncommon for Christians to pray for wisdom before a meeting.

That doesn’t mean it’s the only thing they are doing
    No, although in this case it does appear to be the only thing Pence and Co are actually doing.
    Maybe but generally people get a free hit on Christians and expressions of Christianity.
    Yes. We should expand that to a free hit on all superstitions.

If someone wanted to start a meeting by checking a horoscope then I'd hope that'd get mocked too.
    If someone started their meeting with eyes being closed and a moment of mindfulness, would you mock that? That's essentially what prayer is.
    I think I would dismantle my pen and blast the stupid twat with a pellet of chewed paper.
    which would be fair enough. but specifically christian (or hindu/muslim/buddhist etc) prayers in an official government meeting are a lot worse. unless you want to live in a theocracy
    No they aren't, unless you're a bigot. I'm not a Muslim, but if I were attending a meeting of Muslims, I'd be more than happy to close my eyes with them, pray to my God or no God, and be happy and grateful for their well-wishes. In Syria, the Muslim president attends the Orthodox Church at Easter. That's what being tolerant is about.
    I am not a bigot, but favour separation of state and religion.
    I also don't think the president of Syria is a model to follow in any way whatsoever.
    Well then I'm afraid your attitude lacks sense. The President of Syria probably washes his hands a lot too - are you against that?

On religion, 'banning' prayer, which is essentially what you're proposing, is exactly the same behaviour as enforcing strict Christian observance in the past. It is a religious attitude. It is forcing people to do it your way.
    I don't propose banning prayer. I'm quite content to take the piss out of anyone who shares a photo of them praying for a solution.

If someone shared a photo of them looking at a horoscope for a solution to this would you take the piss out of them?
    No.
    I don't believe you. I would.
    I wouldn't take the piss out of anyone sincerely looking for a beneficial outcome.
    Superstitions like prayer, horoscopes or any other such nonsense isn't sincerely looking - science is.
    Of course it's looking sincerely. If someone believes sincerely that a horoscope is where the solution will be found, they are looking sincerely. Perhaps ineffectively, but sincerely.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Not sure on Dow but ...

You've got to be pretty nimble to trade these markets. What's the VIX at?
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    edited March 2020
    I can see a strong possibility that with Keir Starmer as Labour leader we'll see a drift of the nutty left not just back to their homes in the SWP/Greens but also to the LDs, especially if Layla is leader.

The LDs biggest success came when they were an inoffensive NOTA. But the party is, and will likely become further, estranged from the NOTA vote.
  • Options

kamski said:

kamski said:

Dura_Ace said:

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

Will be interesting if this sinks him. Mind you, watching the prayer circle when VP Pence took "command" the hicks will be praying that Trump brings them salvation as they start to die

No, although in this case it does appear to be the only thing Pence and Co are actually doing.
    Maybe but generally people get a free hit on Christians and expressions of Christianity.

If someone wanted to start a meeting by checking a horoscope then I'd hope that'd get mocked too.
    If someone started their meeting with eyes being closed and a moment of mindfulness, would you mock that? That's essentially what prayer is.
    I think I would dismantle my pen and blast the stupid twat with a pellet of chewed paper.
    which would be fair enough. but specifically christian (or hindu/muslim/buddhist etc) prayers in an official government meeting are a lot worse. unless you want to live in a theocracy
    No they aren't, unless you're a bigot. I'm not a Muslim, but if I were attending a meeting of Muslims, I'd be more than happy to close my eyes with them, pray to my God or no God, and be happy and grateful for their well-wishes. In Syria, the Muslim president attends the Orthodox Church at Easter. That's what being tolerant is about.
    I also don't think the president of Syria is a model to follow in any way whatsoever.
    Well then I'm afraid your attitude lacks sense. The President of Syria probably washes his hands a lot too - are you against that?

On religion, 'banning' prayer, which is essentially what you're proposing, is exactly the same behaviour as enforcing strict Christian observance in the past. It is a religious attitude. It is forcing people to do it your way.
    I don't propose banning prayer. I'm quite content to take the piss out of anyone who shares a photo of them praying for a solution.

If someone shared a photo of them looking at a horoscope for a solution to this would you take the piss out of them?
    No.
    I don'tn believe you. I would.
    I wouldn't take the piss out of anyone sincerely looking for a beneficial outcome.
    Superstitions like prayer, horoscopes or any other such nonsense isn't sincerely looking - science is.
    Of course it's looking sincerely. If someone believes sincerely that a horoscope is where the solution will be found, they are looking sincerely. Perhaps ineffectively, but sincerely.
    If someone's that ignorant then we are doing a public service in highlighting that and roundly mocking them.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,890
    CatMan said:

Their main problem is that they are not a serious national player. Clegg, Farron, Cable, Swindon have all under-performed.

Time and again, when the limelight is upon them, they make the wrong call.

Swinson believed her own hype, and the call to revoke the referendum was utterly disastrous.
    I believe it cost them 5-10% of the vote, and dozens of seats, including those of talented imports like Luciana and Chuka.

I see nothing that indicates they have learned any lessons from the past ten years, during which the world has changed utterly.
  • Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,548
    Hello everyone - haven't posted in a while (it's all been too depressing) but I thought I'd say that as someone with a vote I definitely won't be voting for Layla Moran. Some of the reasons:

-she's gone ubernimby, fighting against building any houses in South Oxon one of the most unaffordable areas in the country with lots of space, and fighting the Oxford-Cambridge expressway without any consultation with the wider party
    -big judgement issues. She's got together with the former press officer sacked for falsifying emails, and I wasn't impressed at all with her response to the previous domestic violence incident. If the press don't pick up on this, our opponents will.
    -playing the soft anti-coalition card is a dead end. If you didn't like LDs in Government you'll vote Labour and you'll never appeal to anyone to vote Lib Dem by condemning your own record in Govt.

Clearly comes across well in the media but I can't see myself backing her at the moment. I'm happy to hear more from Daisy Cooper who I don't know a lot about. My view at the moment is the LDs need to make it far less about the leader whoever it is - we don't do presidential - but leaning for Ed Davey.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,519
    He's a freeborn Englishman and he says what he wants without fear or favour. He's Toby Young.

“If only we had been allowed to hear more from Hitler” is not the take I expected to read this morning, but here we are. https://t.co/LFLX4Tq3nZ

— Dr Charlotte Lydia Riley (@lottelydia) March 10, 2020
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Not sure on Dow but ...

I think of myself as fairly financially secure and, if need be, patient, but I have been shaken - even though I hold only a small part of my investments in equities.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,037
    Mr. Walker, aye. The Lib Dems had a bit of a purple patch but the revocation policy was a clear case of getting high on her own supply for Swinson. It needlessly put off both moderate Remainers and any shade of Leaver, as well as being far less likely to ever come off than a referendum because the former required an outright Lib Dem majority and the latter just needed the Conservatives to be without a majority.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,117
    Me and the Girlfriend picked an awful time to break up, with the need to sell the house...
  • Options
    TGOHF666TGOHF666 Posts: 2,052
    CatMan said:

No their main problem is their policies.
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819

Yes, all depends on who Labour pick. If they went with RLB then Ed Davey would be the best option. As they are going for Starmer I agree with your reasoning, she will be more successful in getting them on the TV etc. The Lib Dem goal for 2024 is really to just be able to get a hung parliament where they can prop up Labour, ideally in exchange for some sort of electoral reform. Anything more is being unrealistically ambitious.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,945
    edited March 2020
    TGOHF666 said:

CatMan said:

No their main problem was Corbyn.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,316

CatMan said:

Their main problem is that they are not a serious national player.
    National is the operative word. England only has a choice between three unionist parties at the moment.
  • Options

Me and the Girlfriend picked an awful time to break up, with the need to sell the house...

In the future bypass all this hassle & heartbreak and just buy a house for a woman you hate.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    "Effective from later today all air traffic to Denmark from red areas will be suspended, referring to areas hard hit by the coronavirus such as Northern Italy, Iran and South Korea."

This is the questionable gap in yesterday's UK announcement, I think.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,044
    I note the stock market's good days don't receive nearly as much attention as the poor ones.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,336

In the case of a lockdown, will you have to be stuck in the same house together?
  • Options

TGOHF666 said:

CatMan said:

No their main problem was Corbyn.
    No their main problem was Swinson.
  • Options
    topovtopov Posts: 12
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Not sure on Dow but ...

VIX is currently at 44.42 after hitting a 54.5 peak yesterday
  • Options
    Coronavirus 'fake news' Twitter accounts shut down

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-hampshire-51805311

Have they taken down the fake new Boris video yet?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,044
    Sanders' price to go above the Clinton line is my prediction for this evening's shellacking that's incoming for him.
  • Options
    GideonWiseGideonWise Posts: 1,123
    There is a pre-virus and a virus.

The signs and symptoms of the pre-virus include: comparisons to normal cold and flu, an unrealistic confidence in the health care system, belief that these things don't happen over here and/or that the Italians/Chinese are thickies.

In some carriers, the pre-virus rapidly switches to blind-panic and anger at why we weren't sufficiently prepared for the virus. In some others the pre-virus never progresses from the early signs and symptoms.

Successful early treatment of the pre-virus is essential for good prognosis for the virus. If the pre-virus is allowed to fester, then prognosis for the virus is very poor.

Much of the Western world is showing signs and symptoms of the pre-virus, apart from in countries which have significantly progressed to the virus. Efforts to treat the pre-virus are proving to be ineffective so far.
  • Options
    Amazon is now selling its cashierless store technology to other retailers

https://techcrunch.com/2020/03/09/amazon-is-now-selling-its-cashierless-store-technology-to-other-retailers/

I always wondered if this was their real goal. After all AWS is what really makes them the big bucks, not flogging you physical goods.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,148

kamski said:

kamski said:

Dura_Ace said:

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

No.
    I don'tn believe you. I would.
    If someone's that ignorant then we are doing a public service in highlighting that and roundly mocking them.
    Anecdote alert. Many years I was in a group who were talking about 'getting published'. One member said that they'd been offered the chance of doing the horoscope for a regional (IIRC) paper and........ and this is where the story really starts..... had to decided to be scientific about it, so got out her Tarot cards and worked through carefully each week. Apparently she got supportive correspondence. However one week she was going on holiday so sent in two separate weeks forecasts, which became muddled. Week 2's was published instead of week 1's. However, she still got appreciative letters.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,117

In the case of a lockdown, will you have to be stuck in the same house together?
    Yes :D:D
  • Options

Yes :D:D
    Awkward.....
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,130
    TGOHF666 said:
    I've missed the detail on this, what's she done?
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,037
    I had my horoscope properly done once, many years ago. Nice lady I knew online, but I was, and am, deeply sceptical about such things. She seemed a little displeased I wasn't persuaded by her work.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,409
    TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

I was surprised when Layla Moran announced she was running. I genuinely thought it was all over and didn't Sir Ed win it? You mean it's still going?
    LDs love a bit of Tantric delayed gratification.

What's that you say, not much bloody gratification at the end o' it?
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,048

Never easy as I know sadly. I broke up with my fiancé shortly before we were due to marry just as the house price crash was coming in 1989. In the end negative equity meant the easiest thing for me to do was just sign the whole thing over to her and walk away.

On a personal note, sorry things didn't work out for you.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,821
    Pulpstar said:

Sanders' price to go above the Clinton line is my prediction for this evening's shellacking that's incoming for him.

Oi, that was my prediction last night.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I note the stock market's good days don't receive nearly as much attention as the poor ones.

So far, by dint of being heavily outnumbered
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    A quieter day today all round so far.

Let's hope the virus is having a quieter day too.
  • Options
    On topic, the Lib Dems should be looking ahead to 2024-2025 and who’s best placed to profit from an unpopular and ideological Conservative government and win back 20 seats.

That means someone who’s experienced, does dryish practical economics and good government, who’s not primarily interested in identity politics.

Ed Davey.
  • Options
    FlannerFlanner Posts: 409

Mr. Walker, aye. The Lib Dems had a bit of a purple patch but the revocation policy was a clear case of getting high on her own supply for Swinson. It needlessly put off both moderate Remainers and any shade of Leaver, as well as being far less likely to ever come off than a referendum because the former required an outright Lib Dem majority and the latter just needed the Conservatives to be without a majority.

It's short-sighted to blame Swinson for the Revoke policy.
    The policy was put to the annual conference, and passed overwhelmingly with scarcely a hint of dissent. It's a classic example - common in all three major national parties - of the groupthink that can overtake party activists.

And symptomatic, in my view, of the insanity of the past 20 years' "democratic" reforms of Party policy making throughout the major parties.

Mind you: the least successful parties in British history (those invented by the late and unmissed Farage) all took decision making to the opposite extreme, and followed whatever silly nonsense their Leader had dreamt up. And look where that got them.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,409
    TGOHF666 said:
    Och, I was taking Nandy's car crash with a salty pinch, but If Arron's sockpuppet is saying it..
  • Options
    edited March 2020

On topic, the Lib Dems should be looking ahead to 2024-2025 and who’s best placed to profit from an unpopular and ideological Conservative government and win back 20 seats.

That means someone who’s experienced, does dryish practical economics and good government, who’s not primarily interested in identity politics.

Ed Davey.

But as mentioned below, Starmer may be filling the gap. Even if the memory of the coalition will be dimmed by then for left-of-centre voters, there's the issue that the left-of-centre alternative to the LD's wouldn't be Corbyn. I can't see Davey beating Starmer for professional appeal, even if the substances of their platforms are actually different.
  • Options

I had my horoscope properly done once, many years ago. Nice lady I knew online, but I was, and am, deeply sceptical about such things. She seemed a little displeased I wasn't persuaded by her work.

It “works” because people pick up on one or two things in it that are kinda half-true, whilst ignoring the rest, and use those as a crib to focus their attention to talk about or do something about it.

The astrology bit is obviously total bollocks, but that doesn’t matter. As long as you half-believe it, or want to believe it, it will sort of work well enough for you for the reasons described.

We need our myths and stories to get to action.
  • Options
    Coronavirus: UK tactics defended as cases expected to rise

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-51812326

Just wondering during the War did the media put out headlines like this that made people doubt if the leadership were doing the right thing?
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,686

Sorry to hear that.
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486

Just wondering during the War did the media put out headlines like this that made people doubt if the leadership were doing the right thing?

Is WW2 Britain the go-to gold standard for press freedom in a democracy now?
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,182
    edited March 2020
  • Options
    This week: Saturn is giving Jupiter the eye, and Alpha Centauri wants to disappear up the Black Hole of Uranus. Mercury and Venus are having a face off. Mars can’t be bothered.

There will be a political race this week where one of the contenders does poorly. Someone you know will also get very upset and exaggerate an unexpected phenomenon making headline news, which will annoy you.

Money will be made, and lost. You will regret something you didn’t do, either way.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

I'm not sure that the virus can read news headlines online.
  • Options
    Flanner said:

It's short-sighted to blame Swinson for the Revoke policy.
    The policy was put to the annual conference, and passed overwhelmingly with scarcely a hint of dissent. It's a classic example - common in all three major national parties - of the groupthink that can overtake party activists.

And symptomatic, in my view, of the insanity of the past 20 years' "democratic" reforms of Party policy making throughout the major parties.

Mind you: the least successful parties in British history (those invented by the late and unmissed Farage) all took decision making to the opposite extreme, and followed whatever silly nonsense their Leader had dreamt up. And look where that got them.
    Did the Party Conference also decide on the policy of referring to Jo Swinson being called Next Prime Minister - and as a result half the time in her interviews being dedicated to the media taking the piss out of her describing herself as the next Prime Minister and the other half justifying revoke?
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Freggles said:

Is WW2 Britain the go-to gold standard for press freedom in a democracy now?
    We are in a war. Spreading doubt and misinformation at this stage is really dangerous. We have to trust that the experts are doing the right thing. Spreading highly edited clips of Boris to imply he believes something he absolutely doesn't is absolutely disgusting.

If the public have widespread doubts and / or ignore official advice (as they are doing in Italy) it will only make things worse.

There will be a time afterwards when we can analyze the response and criticize the decisions.

However, I am 100% certain mistakes will be made, we just have to hope that overall the majority of decisions turn out to be correct.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Coronabears having a tough morning today.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,209
    edited March 2020
    The Czech Republic is to close schools indefinitely and ban events hosting more than 100 people in measures to contain the coronavirus, its prime minister said on Tuesday....

Officials said the measures were decided after a Prague taxi driver was diagnosed with the disease, the first case where the source of infection could not be identified.
    (Guardian)
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,519

Och, I was taking Nandy's car crash with a salty pinch, but If Arron's sockpuppet is saying it.

Yes. When it comes to women's rights it is Piers Morgan not Lisa Nandy who we need to listen to. Obvious really.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,876
    kle4 said:

TGOHF666 said:
    I've missed the detail on this, what's she done?
    The new Third Rail of left wing politics:

https://twitter.com/Bobatron87/status/1237285001793847296?s=20
This discussion has been closed.