Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » With three hours to go before the Iowa caucuses Betfair punter

Comments

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,374
    I think that if Biden does really badly tonight he might be finished. He has very little going for him other than his alleged electability. But how bad is too bad? Worse than third?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,374
    rcs1000 said:

I believe this is a story from the Quran that is commonly used element to convert past sinners....

But if a Muslim's faith is imperfect or if he has sinned during life by, for example, failing repeatedly to undertake purity rituals before prayer, then the grave is transformed into an oppressive, constricting space. The earth begins to weigh down heavily upon the sentient corpse, until the rib cage collapses; worms begin to nibble away at the flesh, causing horrible pain."

https://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/04/opinion/04iht-edhalevi.1.5565834.html

The trick, apparently, is to die after a good bottle of red wine. The corpse is then only barely sentient, and you're unlikely to notice the worms nibbling away.
    When I die I am planning on being dead.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,061

rcs1000 said:

speedy2 said:

Iowa Results so far:

Sanders 30%
    Buttigieg 20%
    Klobuchar 19%
    Warren 15%
    Biden 13%
    Yang 2%
    Steyer 1%

Only 296 votes in though.
    It reminds me a bit of the cancelled Selzer poll result.

What's the source for those numbers?
    Klobouchar performing very well there. But I think the demographics of the early results may be very unrepresentative. They seem to be (a) pensioners able to spend months away in warmer climate (b) shift workers and students and (c) Sanders campaign organisers who want to get their votes registered before the main effort later. (a) will be very wealthy and probably centrist; (b) will be quite pro-Sanders and (c) will entirely be pro-Sanders.
    My gut is that Sanders will end up on around 30-32%. Buttigieg will get a result in the high 20s, while Klobuchar will be in the low 20s.

And Warren will beat Biden, but both of them will end up with poor results.

Biden will attempt to stay in the race, but will get hammered again in New Hampshire, and his vote share will continue to head downwards.

If one of Klobuchar and Buttigieg can establish themselves as the moderate Democrat, then they'll go all the way to the convention.
  • Options
    speedy2speedy2 Posts: 981
    Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

So, caucuses...

8:45pm Eastern we'll start seeing results, apparently. Which is 1:45am UK time.

It's going to be verrrrrryyyyyyy interesting.

I've got a feeling* that the story tonight is going to be Biden's failure.

* This feeling could be completely wrong

He looked pretty awful on the news tonight, and apparently one of the topics of reporters’ conversations is ‘just how bad is Biden ?’
    A video is 10000 words:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVv3KGe6sBE
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

speedy2 said:

Iowa Results so far:

Sanders 30%
    Buttigieg 20%
    Klobuchar 19%
    Warren 15%
    Biden 13%
    Yang 2%
    Steyer 1%

Klobouchar performing very well there. But I think the demographics of the early results may be very unrepresentative. They seem to be (a) pensioners able to spend months away in warmer climate (b) shift workers and students and (c) Sanders campaign organisers who want to get their votes registered before the main effort later. (a) will be very wealthy and probably centrist; (b) will be quite pro-Sanders and (c) will entirely be pro-Sanders.
    My gut is that Sanders will end up on around 30-32%. Buttigieg will get a result in the high 20s, while Klobuchar will be in the low 20s.

Biden will attempt to stay in the race, but will get hammered again in New Hampshire, and his vote share will continue to head downwards.

If one of Klobuchar and Buttigieg can establish themselves as the moderate Democrat, then they'll go all the way to the convention.
    That's a 100/1 prediction right there
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,806

CatMan said:

Also, regarding that story earler today about the press briefing:
    twitter.com/adamboultonSKY/status/1224409797082189826?s=20

Other journalists (including a Guardian journalist) seem to say there is. The issue seems to be who was doing the briefing and the issue to be discussed when have an "inner lobby".
    I don't know what the true story is, but it's a fact that journalists from "right wing Boris supporting" papers seem to think it's true.
  • Options
    Channel 4 : The Drug Lords, seems interesting.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

speedy2 said:

Iowa Results so far:

Sanders 30%
    Buttigieg 20%
    Klobuchar 19%
    Warren 15%
    Biden 13%
    Yang 2%
    Steyer 1%

That's a 100/1 prediction right there
    Yes. It's excessively specific. :smile:
  • Options
    TGOHF666TGOHF666 Posts: 2,052
    Biden now 3.75 !
  • Options
    TGOHF666 said:

Biden now 3.75 !

Last time around, for the GOP, it wasn't the winner that go the biggest boost to their odds
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    edited February 2020
    CatMan said:

CatMan said:

Also, regarding that story earler today about the press briefing:
    twitter.com/adamboultonSKY/status/1224409797082189826?s=20

Other journalists (including a Guardian journalist) seem to say there is. The issue seems to be who was doing the briefing and the issue to be discussed when have an "inner lobby".
    I don't know what the true story is, but it's a fact that journalists from "right wing Boris supporting" papers seem to think it's true.
    My take is that neither are fully telling the truth. Staines is spinning this perfectly normal, the Guardian journo said it isn't uncommon, but not to be briefed in this way from a supposed impartial civil servant. The later appears to be the crux of the issue and sounds believable.

The government clearly wanted to try and give their message to a particular hand chosen group and the media pack have basically said no no no, not on this issue you don't, its all of us or none, so they all turned up. The government bod said we only invited some of you, tried to hold the line of only those with the golden ticket get the briefing and the media pack said well we are off then.

It does seem that the lobby and Team Dom don't get on, regardless of their political viewpoints...but then Cummings managed to piss them all off when he worked for Gove, so nothing new there.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,961
    TGOHF666 said:

Biden now 3.75 !

3.75 for what? The democratic nomination for president, the president, what?
  • Options
    viewcode said:

TGOHF666 said:

Biden now 3.75 !

Democratic nomination.

Now 4.

• Options
    TGOHF666 said:

viewcode said:

TGOHF666 said:

Biden now 3.75 !

Democratic nomination.

Now 4.

Thank you
  • Options
    First round numbers from Arizona:

Klobuchar 53
    Buttigieg 39
    Biden 30
    Warren 25
    Sanders 7
    Bloomgerg 2
    Steyer 2

Sanders, Bloomberg, Steyer eliminated.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

TGOHF666 said:

viewcode said:

TGOHF666 said:

Biden now 3.75 !

Democratic nomination.

Now 4.

Thank you
    Nobody coming in price wise - just seems to be an anti Biden market.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

TGOHF666 said:

viewcode said:

TGOHF666 said:

Biden now 3.75 !

Democratic nomination.

Now 4.

Thank you
    Ok, quick question to everybody. The odds on Biden being Democratic nominee for President are quite large. If he goes on to win then it is possible to win greatly at those odds. So the question I have to ask is: will Biden be the Democratic nominee for POTUS?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

That is such a beautiful sentence
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Are you the one who is balls-red on Sanders?
  • Options
    theProletheProle Posts: 950
    Cyclefree said:

isam said:

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

Why let out prisoners who require such close surveillance?
    Because you can only jail people for the length of the sentence given them by the judge.

There are - in exception circumstances - whole life, or indeterminate, sentences. But the government doesn't get the choice to decide someone has to stay in prison longer than their sentence.
    Well the judges who sentence people that are not fit for release upon serving the time they thought appropriate should face some kind of stewards enquiry with possible demotion
    You tell me. An 80-seat majority and its 10th year in power. The public is getting what it voted for: criminals released early onto the streets of our country because, for all the wailing now, it didn’t and doesn’t really care about having a criminal justice system that is fit for purpose.

So, frankly, the public can go and do one. If it won’t will the means, it won’t get the ends. It prefers to put its faith in politicians who lie about the reality and think that sound bites and rushed laws are a substitute for good policy. They aren’t. So on we lurch from crisis to crisis. It’s the Will of the People.
    Let us presume I was of the view with these sorts of gentlemen that the best approach involves a short sharp drop, or failing that, throwing away the key. Who exactly should I have voted for at the last 3 elections? That's where a sizable chunk of the public is at, but there is no serious political party willing to go anywhere near this. It is not the fault of the electorate that there was no one available to represent their views.

This mess (rather like Brexit) has been brought upon us by our politicans conspiring to prevent us choosing what we want, because they know best. At some point, we the people will push back (see also Brexit), and the political class will be horrified by how far we want to go (again, see also Brexit).
  • Options
    viewcode said:

rcs1000 said:

Not me, whoever that is I think they're going to have a bad night, klobmentum notwithstanding.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

First round numbers from Arizona:

Klobuchar 53
    Buttigieg 39
    Biden 30
    Warren 25
    Sanders 7
    Bloomgerg 2
    Steyer 2

How do you have a write-in candidate at a caucus??
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,019
    edited February 2020
    theProle said:

Cyclefree said:

isam said:

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

Because you can only jail people for the length of the sentence given them by the judge.

There are - in exception circumstances - whole life, or indeterminate, sentences. But the government doesn't get the choice to decide someone has to stay in prison longer than their sentence.
    Well the judges who sentence people that are not fit for release upon serving the time they thought appropriate should face some kind of stewards enquiry with possible demotion
    You tell me. An 80-seat majority and its 10th year in power. The public is getting what it voted for: criminals released early onto the streets of our country because, for all the wailing now, it didn’t and doesn’t really care about having a criminal justice system that is fit for purpose.

So, frankly, the public can go and do one. If it won’t will the means, it won’t get the ends. It prefers to put its faith in politicians who lie about the reality and think that sound bites and rushed laws are a substitute for good policy. They aren’t. So on we lurch from crisis to crisis. It’s the Will of the People.
    Let us presume I was of the view with these sorts of gentlemen that the best approach involves a short sharp drop, or failing that, throwing away the key. Who exactly should I have voted for at the last 3 elections? That's where a sizable chunk of the public is at, but there is no serious political party willing to go anywhere near this. It is not the fault of the electorate that there was no one available to represent their views.

This mess (rather like Brexit) has been brought upon us by our politicans conspiring to prevent us choosing what we want, because they know best. At some point, we the people will push back (see also Brexit), and the political class will be horrified by how far we want to go (again, see also Brexit).
    What did Boris conspire to prevent? He is PM; if you think those things, you now rule; it is on you.

EDIT If you mean you want the government to hang criminals for crimes of opinion, sharing and posting violent material, I would say to that person that you are out of your mind.
  • Options
    Warren coming in , Biden now 4.6

Klob into 42s
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    edited February 2020
    Pizzagate youth serum guy numbers confirmed, apparently ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

https://twitter.com/ClareMalone/status/1224485118271803392
  • Options
    viewcode said:

rcs1000 said:

rottenborough is balls-red on Sanders

Most of us are balls-red on Clinton
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    After redistribution in the Arizona chapter of the Iowa caucuses, the final numbers are:

Klobuchar - 54 (+1)
    Buttigieg - 41 (+2)
    Biden - 33 (+2)
    Warren - 31 (+6)

Sanders voters going mostly for Warren.
  • Options
    Gabs3Gabs3 Posts: 836
    theProle said:

Cyclefree said:

isam said:

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

You need primaries. That is the way to different views can come to the fore.
  • Options
    theProle said:

Cyclefree said:

isam said:

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

That's simplistic.

Laws take time to reflect reality.

Downloading extremist material is not going to get someone a 25 year sentence. Because most people who do it are idiots rather than terrorists.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    EPG said:

theProle said:

Cyclefree said:

isam said:

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

What did Boris conspire to prevent? He is PM; if you think those things, you now rule; it is on you.
    How do you make that add up? I'll grant you that most of the hang'em and flog'em types probably voted for Boris, but who else exactly was there on offer who might have been tougher? Do you see Grandpa magic cracking down on terrorists? What sort of crime had Jo Swinson ever been interested in other than prosecutions for wrongthink?

This is entirely my point. We the people can't be blamed for successive governments being soft on crime (mixed in with the odd moronic knee jerk) because the major parties and the establishment have conspired to prevent any other option being available to us.
  • Options
    TGOHF666 said:

Warren coming in , Biden now 4.6

Klob into 42s

Buy Concentrated Frozen Orange Juice Futures.
    (I hope the reference isn't too old)
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Snapps from the Iowa entrance poll:
    59% are College Educated.
    36% say this is their first time voting.
  • Options
    theProle said:

How do you make that add up? I'll grant you that most of the hang'em and flog'em types probably voted for Boris, but who else exactly was there on offer who might have been tougher? Do you see Grandpa magic cracking down on terrorists? What sort of crime haa Jo Swinson has been interested in other than prosecutions for wrongthink?

This is entirely my point. We the people can't be blamed for successive governments being soft on crime (mixed in with the odd moronic knee jerk) because the major parties and the establishment have conspired to prevent any other option being available to us.

Part of the problem, of course, is that we already have more crime, and lock more people up, for longer than in any other Western European country.

Harsher sentences are popular, but they don't seem to reduce recidivism.

We can go the US route of locking up ever greater portions of the populace. But it doesn't seem to result in lower crime there either.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    More snipps from the Entrance Poll
    63% say they want someone to beat Trump.
    55% are women
    59% caucused for Hillary
    33% are mod/conservatives.
    36% are over 65

These are very good numbers for Biden or at least bad for Sanders.
  • Options
    theProle said:

EPG said:

theProle said:

Cyclefree said:

isam said:

How do you make that add up? I'll grant you that most of the hang'em and flog'em types probably voted for Boris, but who else exactly was there on offer who might have been tougher? Do you see Grandpa magic cracking down on terrorists? What sort of crime had Jo Swinson ever been interested in other than prosecutions for wrongthink?

No, Boris and Priti have refrained from killing everyone sharing al Shabab videos, by hanging, because they are not grotesque barbarians. It is not because a majority wants to see them die. That is your private imagination.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    When is a no deal not really a no deal . Simple just rename it the Australia deal .

You can be a global champion of free trade apparently by trashing free trade with your biggest market.

Bozo talks tosh , lies repeatedly and this is now priced in . The Trumpian takeover of the way politics now works in the UK continues .

Bozos base as it should now be called is just missing the trailer park in Nebraska , a load of guns and hypocritical church goers whose Christianity lasts as long as the Sunday mass .

• Options
    rcs1000 said:

theProle said:

Cyclefree said:

isam said:

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

That's simplistic.

Laws take time to reflect reality.

Downloading extremist material is not going to get someone a 25 year sentence. Because most people who do it are idiots rather than terrorists.
    I appreciate that, and I'm not seriously advocating such a policy - to an extent I'm exaggerating to make a point. But I'm also making a serious point - the general public is much harder line on crime than any government in my lifetime has ever been - and the only possible explanation for this is an establishment stich up.
  • Options
    Should sharing PIRA archive material from the 1980s be met with: hanging; lethal injection; nothing for spurious historical lapse reasons; nothing for spurious race reasons; or other?
  • Options
    Caution about the Entrance Poll, it's only the first wave.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,029

Sorry - did you think they care down in England? The only need Scotland for the Naval bases, otherwise you would be gone.

Look at the cheerleaders on this thread happy to sell N Ireland down the river. Be grateful for Trident otherwise you would get the same treatment.

Brexitstan doesn't absolutely need Scotland for Trident. They could put the boomers in to Devonport and store the, ahem, 'physics package' at Falmouth. Or reopen Portland which would require the demolition of a Fitness First and therefore some local opposition but it's nothing our podgy caudillo couldn't trample under his sweaty trotters.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    The Entrance Poll numbers are changing all the time as more people arrive at their caucus sites so beware.
    They have already changed since 5 minutes ago.
  • Options
    theProle said:

I appreciate that, and I'm not seriously advocating such a policy - to an extent I'm exaggerating to make a point. But I'm also making a serious point - the general public is much harder line on crime than any government in my lifetime has ever been - and the only possible explanation for this is an establishment stich up.

But that's always the case, in every country, everywhere.

It's just that politicians recognise that people want greater sentences for wrongdoing. But then they get aggrieved when someone gets a sentence that seems completely disproportionate, or (when mandatory sentences become common) juries let people off rather than send people to prison for too long.

We also want low levels of recidivism. But we don't want to spend money on prisons.

We also hate miscarriages of justice. But loathe the idea of taxpayers money being used to pay for murderer's judges.

• Options
    TheGreenMachineTheGreenMachine Posts: 1,043
    edited February 2020
    Biden out to 8-1 approx but they change a lot.
  • Options

Biden out to 8-1 approx.

As he was since the wasn't-a-poll came out.

Amy on the other hand has gone from 21/1 to 109/1 in the last fifteen minutes for unexplained reasons.
  • Options
    Entrance Poll Results (1st wave):

Biden
    Buttigieg
    Warren
    Sanders

But too close to call.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Snipps from the Entrance Poll.

51% of 17-29's (20% of all voters) vote Sanders.
    Biden 4%
  • Options
    speedy2 said:

Biden
    Buttigieg
    Warren
    Sanders

But too close to call.

Sanders fourth in the entrance poll??? That's not good news for him.
  • Options
    Sanders gets 43% of very liberal voters (26% of all voters).
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

speedy2 said:

Biden
    Buttigieg
    Warren
    Sanders

But too close to call.

It's CNN drip feeding, don't over think it
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

speedy2 said:

Biden
    Buttigieg
    Warren
    Sanders

But too close to call.

If 34% are over 65 years in age of course Sanders will come last and Biden first.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Full Entrance Poll results:

Buttigieg 25%
    Warren 20%
    Biden 18%
    Sanders 16%
    Yang 4%
    Steyer 2%

https://edition.cnn.com/election/2020/state/iowa
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    If anyone cares, Trump is winning 98.2% of the vote so far on the Republican side.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    This is why Biden is doing suprisingly bad with an electorate that is very old:

over 65's
    Biden 32%
    Buttigieg 25%
    Klobuchar 16%
    Warren 12%
    Sanders 4%

And this is also why Sanders is doing that bad if the electorate is 34% over 65's.
  • Options
    Good news right now for Sanders, bad news for Biden.

Over 65's are now 30% down from 39% 45 minutes ago.
    17-29 are now up to 21%.

The Entrance Poll is changing by the minute.
  • Options
    speedy2 said:

If anyone cares, Trump is winning 98.2% of the vote so far on the Republican side.

"Deep down, you want a Republican to lower your taxes, brutalize criminals and rule you like a King!"
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    First result from caucus at Grinnel College:

Sander 45.7
    Warren 29.3
    Mayo Pete 8.3
    Yang 7.4
    Biden 3.4 LOL
  • Options
    42% of caucus goes are "somewhat liberal". Good for Pete and Liz.
  • Options
    Snipp from the Entrance Poll.

Sanders gets 48% from those under 49 (42% of voters).

That's why age is very important.
  • Options
    Gabs3 said:

speedy2 said:

"Deep down, you want a Republican to lower your taxes, brutalize criminals and rule you like a King!"
    Sideshow Bob Trump... :)
  • Options
    This is going to be a very interesting evening. I think Mayor Pete may have got this.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

This is going to be a very interesting evening. I think Mayor Pete may have got this.

Well OK, Magic Numbers Guy: who's going to win the Democratic Iowa nomination?... :):)
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Not evening for most of us!
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,806
    viewcode said:

Gabs3 said:

speedy2 said:

Sideshow Bob Trump... :)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXcYMvzZ7jk
  • Options
    Sanders moves to the lead in the entrance polls (just!)
  • Options

Sanders moves to the lead in the entrance polls (just!)

Yep.
    As the share of over 65's drop in the Entrance poll Sanders goes up, Biden goes down.
  • Options
    Entrance Poll result so far, could change again:

Sanders 22%
    Buttigieg 20%
    Biden 18%
    Warren 17%
    Klobuchar 9%
    Yang 4%
    Steyer 2%
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    Just in case anyone doesn't yet know, Rush Limbaugh revealed today that he has been diagnosed with "advanced lung cancer".
  • Options
    speedy2 said:

Sanders 22%
    Buttigieg 20%
    Biden 18%
    Warren 17%
    Klobuchar 9%
    Yang 4%
    Steyer 2%

The line has oft been said that "there are 3 tickets out of Iowa". Those are probably the expected three, in any order.
  • Options
    speedy2 said:

Sanders 22%
    Buttigieg 20%
    Biden 18%
    Warren 17%
    Klobuchar 9%
    Yang 4%
    Steyer 2%

Simplistically, I think Steyer voters skew moderate. Yang is probably more leftward. While I think Klobuchar goes between Buttigieg and Warren.

But there are also a bunch of undecideds in there.

Could be anyone.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,895
    viewcode said:

rcs1000 said:

Well OK, Magic Numbers Guy: who's going to win the Democratic Iowa nomination?... :):)
    Bernie is a shoe in imo
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

speedy2 said:

Sanders 22%
    Buttigieg 20%
    Biden 18%
    Warren 17%
    Klobuchar 9%
    Yang 4%
    Steyer 2%

The line has oft been said that "there are 3 tickets out of Iowa". Those are probably the expected three, in any order.
    Buttigieg has to pray that Warren sneaks past Biden. He needs to be the only viable moderate.
  • Options

viewcode said:

rcs1000 said:

Bernie is a shoe in imo
    The entrance polls suggest it's a very close race. Sanders is certainly favourite, but Buttigieg (and Warren) will collect more Klobuchar second choices than he will.

I don't think the numbers we're seeing make anyone a favourite.

Also worth remembering that Sanders could easily top the first round votes count, but come second or third in State Delegate Equivalents, given (a) rural votes are worth more, and (b) allocation of second places.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

speedy2 said:

Sanders 22%
    Buttigieg 20%
    Biden 18%
    Warren 17%
    Klobuchar 9%
    Yang 4%
    Steyer 2%

Simplistically, I think Steyer voters skew moderate. Yang is probably more leftward. While I think Klobuchar goes between Buttigieg and Warren.

Could be anyone.
    I suspect the Yang gang are do or die for Yang and mainly won't switch to anyone else.
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,902
    Biden isn't dropping out before Super Tuesday. Could be 5 somewhat viable candidates on Super Tuesday, with 3 after it. Contested convention time...
  • Options
    Gabs3 said:

rcs1000 said:

speedy2 said:

Sanders 22%
    Buttigieg 20%
    Biden 18%
    Warren 17%
    Klobuchar 9%
    Yang 4%
    Steyer 2%

Could be anyone.
    I suspect the Yang gang are do or die for Yang and mainly won't switch to anyone else.
    If so, that's bad news from Sanders.

Personally, I think most people end up choosing a second placed candidate.
  • Options
    Chameleon said:

Biden isn't dropping out before Super Tuesday. Could be 5 somewhat viable candidates on Super Tuesday, with 3 after it. Contested convention time...

If Biden were to come fourth (which now looks unlikely), and then perform poorly in New Hampshire, then it will be interesting to see if his support holds up.
  • Options
    Chameleon said:

Worst result for Democrats is a contested convention with a majority backing moderate candidates and Sanders having the plurality for any single candidate.
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    Haven't stayed up for Iowa before, it's even more nuts than I expected. I'm watching CNN, is there better coverage elsewhere? What I'm seeing isn't bad.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

He doesn't seem to be a frontrunner on any particular issue, in any particular place, age group, or ideological faction, but he racks up a pile of second and third preferences, and even in his weakest spots he seems to be at least acceptable to many.
    Given how fractured the vote is, this should work to his advantage.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    rcs1000 said:

viewcode said:

rcs1000 said:

Bernie is a shoe in imo
    The entrance polls suggest it's a very close race. Sanders is certainly favourite, but Buttigieg (and Warren) will collect more Klobuchar second choices than he will.

I don't think the numbers we're seeing make anyone a favourite.

Also worth remembering that Sanders could easily top the first round votes count, but come second or third in State Delegate Equivalents, given (a) rural votes are worth more, and (b) allocation of second places.
    It's a mess in rural areas.
    You got sporadic results for Buttigieg and Klobuchar.
  • Options
    Chameleon said:

Who's going to be funding a campaign across 15 states including Texas and California if he loses all the primaries in February?
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Quincel said:

Haven't stayed up for Iowa before, it's even more nuts than I expected. I'm watching CNN, is there better coverage elsewhere? What I'm seeing isn't bad.

msnbc. Don't know if it's better or just different.

Fox News is keeping its regular schedule with frequent remotes to Iowa.

BBC World News is also covering it. Katty Kay and thingy Fraser are in Des Moines
  • Options

Chameleon said:

Who's going to be funding a campaign across 15 states including Texas and California if he loses all the primaries in February?
    Assuming that he doesn't collapse completely he'll be able to get enough money together by the 'I'll win the south' line. From his perspective it's a shame that SC isn't further before super Tuesday.
  • Options
    Biden suddenly out to 20 and Mayor pete in to 4??
  • Options
    Folks, I love you all to bits, but I'm looking at the convo and all I can think of is: you don't actually know what's happening. It hasn't been so disassociated (right word?) since last year's Peterborough by-election. Goodnight sweet princes and princesses: I'm off to my bed. Have fun... :)
  • Options
    Chameleon said:

Chameleon said:

Assuming that he doesn't collapse completely he'll be able to get enough money together by the 'I'll win the south' line. From his perspective it's a shame that SC isn't further before super Tuesday.
    Worth remembering that Biden has been a fundraising disaster, well behind Mayor Pete, Sanders and Warren.
  • Options
    FWIW Amy Klobichar (sp) has spent more time in Iowa than any other dem candidate.
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949

Biden suddenly out to 20 and Mayor pete in to 4??

CNN have been chatting through their entrance poll a bit again and focusing on how Pete is looking strong in lots of groups.
  • Options
    Gabs3 said:

Chameleon said:

Worst result for Democrats is a contested convention with a majority backing moderate candidates and Sanders having the plurality for any single candidate.
    Yeah, but it didn't harm them when it was Hoynes vs Russell, and the moderate Santos got it, and then the Presidency.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Folks, I love you all to bits, but I'm looking at the convo and all I can think of is: you don't actually know what's happening. It hasn't been so disassociated (right word?) since last year's Peterborough by-election. Goodnight sweet princes and princesses: I'm off to my bed. Have fun... :)

Not true. There's an entrance poll. And some sparse evidence of how second choices split.
  • Options
    All the beeb folks are making a big deal of a pop concert organized by Bernie's campaign on Saturday which attracted 3000 people. What they don't mention is that Trump was in Des Moines Thursday and got 9000 inside and several thousand crowded outside.
  • Options
    I hear lots of reports of KLOBUCHAR supporters going to Mayor Pete.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Warning.
    The CNN Entrance Poll is possibly being Hacked, the numbers are changing randomly every 10 seconds.

One moment it has Sanders at 15% the other at 43%
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Chameleon said:

Chameleon said:

Worth remembering that Biden has been a fundraising disaster, well behind Mayor Pete, Sanders and Warren.
    He allegedly has a high burn rate too...
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    Tim_B said:

All the beeb folks are making a big deal of a pop concert organized by Bernie's campaign on Saturday which attracted 3000 people. What they don't mention is that Trump was in Des Moines Thursday and got 9000 inside and several thousand crowded outside.

So? I don’t think anyone’s expecting Iowa to be Democratic pick-up in November.
  • Options
    What happens when the uncommitted group wins a delegate?
  • Options
    Chameleon said:

What happens when the uncommitted group wins a delegate?

They can't.
  • Options
    NATE SILVER 9:16 PM: We do have around around 20 precincts reporting first alignment results, and it’s Buttigieg 21, Sanders 22, Biden 17, Warren 17, Klobuchar 15
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Entrance Poll snipps:

over 65's 28% of voters now.
    17-29 23%

It's getting better for Sanders and worse for Biden.
This discussion has been closed.