Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » With three hours to go before the Iowa caucuses Betfair punter

Comments

• Options
    Good morning, everyone.

Rather cold.
  • Options

Glad I didn't stay up then.

This is why electronic voting is a bad idea folks.

Nothing wrong with the basic idea. It's the implementation which is rubbish. Strikes me someone has been too clever by half, as the saying goes.
    Communism. Nothing wrong with the basic idea.
  • Options
    alex_ said:

Got to think that the next Presidential Election is going to be one of the most dangerous points in recent American political history. When all the warnings about US voting systems come home to roost. The potential for legitimately querying the validity of the result is going to be enormous.

This guy 👆🏼
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,806

alex_ said:

Nothing wrong with the basic idea. It's the implementation which is rubbish. Strikes me someone has been too clever by half, as the saying goes.
    Good ideas which have a high chance of being badly implemented are bad ideas.

It’s why conservatism (small c) is such an enduring political force.
    What is really worrying is that the Democrats, who aspire to government in one of the most significant countries of the world, have made such a mess of things.
    American elections are always a bit of a farce, with states being called on a fraction of votes, California taking forever, faithless electors etc, rampant voter suppression and gerrymandering. Not to mention an impeachment trial that refuses to examine witnesses or evidence.

Mind you our own system of democracy doesn't look very healthy either, with illegal prorogation and a refusal to debate a Withdrawal Agreement that seems not to have been read or understood by the Prime Minister.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,055
    alex_ said:

Got to think that the next Presidential Election is going to be one of the most dangerous points in recent American political history. When all the warnings about US voting systems come home to roost. The potential for legitimately querying the validity of the result is going to be enormous.

Indeed. And if Trump loses he WILL 'query the legitimacy'. Loud and long!

It's amazing that the US claims to be a democracy and hold itself up as an example. No wonder they made such a bog of Iraq.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,917
    alex_ said:

2000 was also a disaster, and there was reasonable evidence of discrepancies in Ohio in 2004 to favour Bush also. You could argue that Trump 2016 was the only 'fair' win the Republicans have had in 20+ years.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,961

Dear Americans, we might use tiny pencils and vote in plywood booths in village halls, but we had the whole damned election wrapped up by 7am, and the result called.

Indeed, 640 out of 650 results were in by 6am.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,362

alex_ said:

Indeed. And if Trump loses he WILL 'query the legitimacy'. Loud and long!

It's amazing that the US claims to be a democracy and hold itself up as an example. No wonder they made such a bog of Iraq.
    From 2000:

https://www.theonion.com/serbia-deploys-peacekeeping-forces-to-u-s-1819565829
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,368
    Andy_JS said:

Smartphones really are making people stupid aren't they.

No, they are stupid already, it just highlights it. some are just more stupid than others.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

American elections are always a bit of a farce, with states being called on a fraction of votes, California taking forever, faithless electors etc, rampant voter suppression and gerrymandering. Not to mention an impeachment trial that refuses to examine witnesses or evidence.

Mind you our own system of democracy doesn't look very healthy either, with illegal prorogation and a refusal to debate a Withdrawal Agreement that seems not to have been read or understood by the Prime Minister.

Indeed. Brexit I can live with - it's the damage the Tories are doing to our democracy that's the real problem.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,088
    Nothing better than a glorious sh*tshow. Love it.
  • Options

Nah, this helps Trump.

This lot really couldn’t organise a pregnancy on a council estate.
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, I once received electoral support in the United States.

It was the governor election, the first time that Schwarzenegger ended up winning.

I quite like the write-in system.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

alex_ said:

What is really worrying is that the Democrats, who aspire to government in one of the most significant countries of the world, have made such a mess of things.

Agree. And a system which gave one party a considerable vote increase and a reduction in seats hasn't much to commend it.
    It'll be instructive to watch the Irish go about it. Might take them a bit longer to count than us, but at least the system will be seen to be fair and representative.
  • Options

Nah, this helps Trump.

Bring back Bill Clinton!
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144
    rkrkrk said:

Foxy said:

Indeed. Brexit I can live with - it's the damage the Tories are doing to our democracy that's the real problem.
    Yeah, them keep winning fair elections, it's a bitch for democracy.....
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Nah, this helps Trump.

Bring back Bill Clinton!
    I don't think he's in Boris' league there, is he.
  • Options
    F1: there's a Constructors match bet market on Ladbrokes.

I'm loath to recommend short odds, long term bets... but the 1.14 on Red Bull to beat McLaren should be too good to be true.
  • Options

rkrkrk said:

Foxy said:

Plenty of dictators, despots, and tyrants have won elections. Of course you already know that.
  • Options

rkrkrk said:

Foxy said:

When did that happen?
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

alex_ said:

2000 was also a disaster, and there was reasonable evidence of discrepancies in Ohio in 2004 to favour Bush also. You could argue that Trump 2016 was the only 'fair' win the Republicans have had in 20+ years.
    If you rule out voting booths being "reworked" in Moscow.....
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,374

rkrkrk said:

Foxy said:

And increasing their vote share. 6 elections in a row.
  • Options

rkrkrk said:

Foxy said:

Plenty of dictators, despots, and tyrants have won elections. Of course you already know that.
    Yeah, those 99.9% and 100% wins are really "fair". Of course you already knew that......
  • Options

rkrkrk said:

Foxy said:

When did that happen?
    Tell me, when did it not?
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,736
    Just got up and hearing about the chaos in Iowa. And the BF odds!

I`ve got a decent-sized interest in Buttigieg winning. Can someone advise me whether I should be laying some of this off, by simply backing Sanders (given that it appears to now be a two-horse race)?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,374
    Well off to work. What a farce.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Nah, this helps Trump.

Bring back Bill Clinton!
    I don't think he's in Boris' league there, is he.
    I dunno. Johnson would never set foot on a council estate. Clinton would go wherever there were hot girls.
  • Options

rkrkrk said:

Foxy said:

Yeah, those 99.9% and 100% wins are really "fair". Of course you already knew that......
    We’re not talking about them.
  • Options

rkrkrk said:

Foxy said:

Usually everyone knows that in advance.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Well off to work. What a farce.

Work, or the elections?
  • Options
    TGOHF666TGOHF666 Posts: 2,052
    Pencil, paper - most votes the winner.

Not hard innit.

I fully expect Jezza/RLB to call for electronic voter tweet hubs in Lidl within 48hrs..
  • Options
    edited February 2020

Mr. Eagles, I once received electoral support in the United States.

It was the governor election, the first time that Schwarzenegger ended up winning.

I quite like the write-in system.

Seriously, the best claim to fame of anyone on pb.com.

" I once received electoral support in the United States."

Unless Bill Clinton lurks here, that must be a one-off. Kudos.
  • Options
    I am very heavily underwater on Bloomberg now.

The guy just keeps shortening.

I’m hoping I’m like Michael Burry in the Big Short, but I’m starting to worry I might end up more like Nick Leeson.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

rkrkrk said:

Foxy said:

My point was that winning elections doesn’t mean you’re immune from criticism of harming democracy.

For example Poland’s democratically elected government’s actions regarding an independent judiciary.

Of course Hugo Chavez was elected fairly the first time.

And the famous Austrian bloke...

I’m not saying that the current Government is any of these things, I’m just saying that @MarqueeMark ’s childish drivel is just that.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,020

I’m hoping I’m like Michael Burry in the Big Short, but I’m starting to worry I might end up more like Nick Leeson.

Not being associated with this Iowa fiasco is probably good luck.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Electronic voting:Not Even Once.

• Options
    Alistair said:

Electronic vote counting is fine, you just need paper ballots with a paper trail.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

speedy2 said:

rcs1000 said:
    The path of being useless.
    Just draft Michelle Obama and make a contest of it.

Because, Democrats, at this point it ain't.....
    Whereas it would look really good to have consecutive candidates who were the wives of previous Presidents...
    Difference being, on would prove electable.

I mean, really America, Michelle Obama or Donald Trump. Who you gonna call?
  • Options
    Alistair said:

I hear the SNP are planning on conducting the second Indyref with electronic voting.
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    rkrkrk said:

alex_ said:

Yes, but any close election always has the potential for such issues. The difference next time will be the lack of any moderating force within the political and party establishments to rein the candidates back. The crazies control the show. And have a lot of guns.
  • Options

Foxy said:

alex_ said:

Agree. And a system which gave one party a considerable vote increase and a reduction in seats hasn't much to commend it.
    It'll be instructive to watch the Irish go about it. Might take them a bit longer to count than us, but at least the system will be seen to be fair and representative.
    Is @TheGreenMachine about?

What in the Good Friday Agreement triggers a border poll on reunification of Ireland?
  • Options
    Mr. Mark, ha, thanks. I'd be surprised if we didn't have at least one or two American political types (even if lurking rather than posting) here.
  • Options

rkrkrk said:

Foxy said:

Oh the last one was fair. It's the next one I'm worried about.

You know, when the Tories have redrawn the constituency maps (they're openly briefing they'll do this to shore up future majorities), scrapped broadcast rules on fair coverage and generally imported voter suppression tactics from the US.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

speedy2 said:

rcs1000 said:

Whereas it would look really good to have consecutive candidates who were the wives of previous Presidents...

The orangutan was unelectable the first time. He was still elected.

What has Michelle Obama actually done in her life to be a serious contender in her own right? Clinton had at least been a senator and cabinet minister.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,797

I feel your pain. Fortunately I only dipped my toe in that pool of mud.
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    I presume the Republican version of last night's proceedings has concluded without obvious hitches?

In which case, has Donald Trump become the first person in history to win the Iowa caucus for both parties on the same night?
  • Options
    Good thread on the proposed EU negotiating mandate.

https://twitter.com/stevepeers/status/1224325487452921857?s=21
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

speedy2 said:

rcs1000 said:

What has Michelle Obama actually done in her life to be a serious contender in her own right? Clinton had at least been a senator and cabinet minister.
    Given that she has resisted every suggestion even to consider such a thing, the judgmental tone is a little unfair.
    And OTOH, she has at least not been a scofflaw and grifter all her life, which is one up on Trump.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,961
    They had an app, but failed to test it properly. Amazing.
  • Options
    TGOHF666 said:

Not hard innit.

I fully expect Jezza/RLB to call for electronic voter tweet hubs in Lidl within 48hrs..

It’s far too myopic to say that low tech/no tech solutions are anachronistic and high tech ones must be better/more efficient.

Democracy has to be seen to be believed. At its core that depends upon a secret physical vote being cast against a registered voter. It’s not all about speed. The ballot boxes and votes need to be seen being counted and tallied by all sides, so they are accepted. There also needs to be an audit trail of where the votes came (not who cast them) from that’s reviewable.

Our system works because it’s physical and transparent. We’re also pretty darn efficient at counting them too.
  • Options
    Was not the new system of reporting the caucus results brought in only because of Sanders complaints about how it was run last time around ... ?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

speedy2 said:

rcs1000 said:

Given that she has resisted every suggestion even to consider such a thing, the judgmental tone is a little unfair.
    And OTOH, she has at least not been a scofflaw and grifter all her life, which is one up on Trump.
    She's also written a book. That people have read....
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

speedy2 said:

rcs1000 said:

I didn’t mean to sound judgemental. I was simply pointing out facts. Facts Michelle Obama clearly understands perfectly well herself because, as you say, she has always firmly rejected any idea that she should run.

She’s a lot more self aware than those who put her forward as some kind of panacea.

What the Democrats need is a credible candidate who isn’t a survivor from the Ark. Somehow, they’ve ended up without one. Where are the likes of Evan Bayh and Andrew Cuomo?
  • Options

TGOHF666 said:

Not hard innit.

It’s far too myopic to say that low tech/no tech solutions are anachronistic and high tech ones must be better/more efficient.

Democracy has to be seen to be believed. At its core that depends upon a secret physical vote being cast against a registered voter. It’s not all about speed. The ballot boxes and votes need to be seen being counted and tallied by all sides, so they are accepted. There also needs to be an audit trail of where the votes came (not who cast them) from that’s reviewable.

Our system works because it’s physical and transparent. We’re also pretty darn efficient at counting them too.
    It also has to be fair and you know full well there are serious problems with our system in this department.

Whether you think that the other factors outweigh this is of course a matter of opinion.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

speedy2 said:

rcs1000 said:

Seriously? Trump would even win the popular vote this time, if that happened.

And that's before considering the Sanders supporters who won't vote for anyone who's a registered Democrat on principle.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,067

Does anyone know how integrated the Republic's Sinn Fein party is with Northern Ireland's Sinn Fein party?

And Sinn Fein signed the Good Friday Agreement 23 years ago agreeing to settle Ireland's future peacefully. Does the Republic's Sinn Fein stand by that? Does their manifesto and campaigning actually concentrate on constitutional issues [like the SNP] or does it concentrate on domestic matters?

Sinn Fein is organised on an all-Ireland basis. There is no "Northern Ireland" or "Republic" Sinn Fein.
    Thanks what about the other questions?

Are they campaigning on constitutional change demanding a border poll while ignoring other issues, like the SNP? Or are they campaigning on more mundane domestic matters?
    More ignorant comments about the SNP, look closer to home for ignoring democracy for an example, take too long to list everything.
    Why do they keep winning elections with increasing majorities after 13 years, use a brain cell and try not to let your bias blind you.
  • Options

Mr. Mark, ha, thanks. I'd be surprised if we didn't have at least one or two American political types (even if lurking rather than posting) here.

Unless and until they do - you da man......
  • Options

TGOHF666 said:

Not hard innit.

It also has to be fair and you know full well there are serious problems with our system in this department.

Whether you think that the other factors outweigh this is of course a matter of opinion.
    What serious problems?
  • Options

ydoethur said:

rkrkrk said:

Foxy said:

My point was that winning elections doesn’t mean you’re immune from criticism of harming democracy.

For example Poland’s democratically elected government’s actions regarding an independent judiciary.

Of course Hugo Chavez was elected fairly the first time.

And the famous Austrian bloke...

I’m not saying that the current Government is any of these things, I’m just saying that @MarqueeMark ’s childish drivel is just that.
    Someone else who doesn't have a good side of the bed to get out of.....
  • Options
    The consequences of permafrost thaw are likely worse than previously thought:

https://phys.org/news/2020-02-arctic-permafrost-greater-role-climate.html
    "The impacts from abrupt thaw are not represented in any existing global model and our findings indicate that this could amplify the permafrost climate-carbon feedback by up to a factor of two, thereby exacerbating the problem of permissible emissions to stay below specific climate change targets," said David Lawrence, of the National Center for Atmospheric Research (NCAR) and a coauthor of the study....
  • Options

TGOHF666 said:

Not hard innit.

What serious problems?
    I could have predicted this response. You know full well.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Thanks. I got greedy.

So now comes the hubris.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Does anyone know how integrated the Republic's Sinn Fein party is with Northern Ireland's Sinn Fein party?

And Sinn Fein signed the Good Friday Agreement 23 years ago agreeing to settle Ireland's future peacefully. Does the Republic's Sinn Fein stand by that? Does their manifesto and campaigning actually concentrate on constitutional issues [like the SNP] or does it concentrate on domestic matters?

Sinn Fein is organised on an all-Ireland basis. There is no "Northern Ireland" or "Republic" Sinn Fein.

Are they campaigning on constitutional change demanding a border poll while ignoring other issues, like the SNP? Or are they campaigning on more mundane domestic matters?
    More ignorant comments about the SNP, look closer to home for ignoring democracy for an example, take too long to list everything.
    Why do they keep winning elections with increasing majorities after 13 years, use a brain cell and try not to let your bias blind you.
    Because being ~10% of the nation they go for the only party that is dedicated to getting the most for that 10%. Labour and the Lib Dems took their Scottish voters for granted and offer nothing, the Tories offer sensible centre-right politics but there's not much call for that when Scotland isn't independent and is tied to Westminster.

If and when Scotland is independent then things will evolve differently.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Thanks. I got greedy.

So now comes the hubris.
    Would you lay Bloomberg now (if you hadn`t already)?
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Thanks. I got greedy.

So now comes the hubris.
    Do you mean ‘nemesis?’
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    edited February 2020
    Bernie Campaign numbers:
    https://twitter.com/ninaturner/status/1224590000089636866
    Sanders: 29.66%
    Buttigieg 24.59%
    Warren: 21.24%
    Biden: 12.375
    KLOBUCHAR 11%
    Not quite enough to knock out any of the top five.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Because being ~10% of the nation they go for the only party that is dedicated to getting the most for that 10%. Labour and the Lib Dems took their Scottish voters for granted and offer nothing, the Tories offer sensible centre-right politics but there's not much call for that when Scotland isn't independent and is tied to Westminster.

“Sensible centre-right politics”. Haha.
  • Options

TGOHF666 said:

Not hard innit.

What serious problems?
    Peterborough ?

Votes should be cast on the day in the booth - unless you are dead.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

As always, @Cyclefree nails it.

Up to a point. With the current regime we already lock up more for longer than any other Western European country. Do we really want to double this?
    For serious and unreformed offenders? Yes, for life if need be.
  • Options
    edited February 2020

Bernie Campaign numbers:

Bernie: 29.66
    Buttigeig 24.59
    Warren: 21.24
    Biden: 12.37
    KLOBUCHAR 11%

“Represent the results from nearly 40%....” - ie this statement is entirely self serving, and unlikely to represent an accurate result.
  • Options

DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

Up to a point. With the current regime we already lock up more for longer than any other Western European country. Do we really want to double this?
    Who’s going to pay for it?
  • Options

malcolmg said:

None of the London sock puppet parties offer anything for Scotland. The SNP are a Scottish party whose only interest is Scotland and making it a better place.
  • Options
    Seems to be an irregular verb on my train this morning - lady next to me blew her nose but starting googling the latest from China when she saw me doing the same:

I have a cold
    You have coronavirus
    We are all fucked
  • Options

DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

Taxes. Keeping the public safe is the first responsibility of government. The criminal justice system should be fully funded.
  • Options

DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

Taxes. Keeping the public safe is the first responsibility of government. The criminal justice system should be fully funded.
    Well at least we agree on that.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited February 2020
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

None of the London sock puppet parties offer anything for Scotland. The SNP are a Scottish party whose only interest is Scotland and making it a better place.
    That's basically what I said in my first sentence.

That's why I believe Scotland SHOULD go independent.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Nigelb said:

Thanks. I got greedy.

So now comes the hubris.
    Yes.
  • Options

DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

Some sort of prison colony on a South Atlantic Island ?

Parachute supplies in once a month.
  • Options

TGOHF666 said:

Not hard innit.

What serious problems?
    I’m afraid I don’t.

Have you had your coffee this morning yet?
  • Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

That's basically what I said in my first sentence.

That's why I believe Scotland SHOULD go independent.
    Yes , we agree.
  • Options

You don't just get to make that statement without being called out.

Within the past decade we had a nationwide vote on whether to change the voting system. (Admittedly, only because a party with 57 of the 650 seats - down 5 on their previous showing - insisted. Democracy, huh?)

The voters went away, thought about it - and said "Nah. You're alright. We'll stick with what we know." So that recently democratically-endorsed system is the one we use.

Excuse me, but I'm seeing fuck all unfairness there. Just a bad loser.
  • Options

Bernie Campaign numbers:

Sanders: 29.66%
    Buttigieg 24.59%
    Warren: 21.24%
    Biden: 12.375
    KLOBUCHAR 11%

Bad for Biden, good for Mayor Pete, Bizzie Lizzie and Amy if those are correct.
  • Options
    Endillion said:

ydoethur said:

speedy2 said:

rcs1000 said:

And that's before considering the Sanders supporters who won't vote for anyone who's a registered Democrat on principle.
    She'd win independents 3-1.

And she would re-energise the black vote, that stayed home for Hillary.
  • Options

Within the past decade we had a nationwide vote on whether to change the voting system. (Admittedly, only because a party with 57 of the 650 seats - down 5 on their previous showing - insisted. Democracy, huh?)

The voters went away, thought about it - and said "Nah. You're alright. We'll stick with what we know." So that recently democratically-endorsed system is the one we use.

Indeed. Our system rewards parties which get more votes and not those that get fewer votes.

Rather than trying to get more votes we get poor losers whining about the voting system instead.

Here's food for thought for any complainants - take the beam out of your own eye and figure out why voters aren't backing your party.
  • Options

TGOHF666 said:

Not hard innit.

What serious problems?
    I’m afraid I don’t.

Have you had your coffee this morning yet?
  • Options
    edited February 2020

Stocky said:

Nigelb said:

Thanks. I got greedy.

So now comes the hubris.
    Yes.
    Thanks - by the way Mr Royale, I preferred your analysis of the Parliament Square Brexit celebrations over SeanT`s. I was there all afternoon until past midnight. I haven`t posted about it yet, but suffice it to say that my wife and I felt ashamed about what we saw.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,366
    Nigelb said:

Bernie Campaign numbers:

Buttigeig 24.59
    KLOBUCHAR 11%

“Represent the results from nearly 40%....” - ie this statement is entirely self serving, and unlikely to represent an accurate result.
    What it does strongly suggest is that Buttigieg did very well indeed. He's 10-1 on Betfair for the nomination - I suspect that will shorten when the official results appear.

Incidentally, I no longer think that most US voters don't think of the candidates mainly in moderate vs liberal terms. Nearly everyone interviewed on CNN (before I went to bed at 1) was doing exactly that, and voting accordingly.
  • Options
    TGOHF666 said:

TGOHF666 said:

Not hard innit.

What serious problems?
    Peterborough ?

Votes should be cast on the day in the booth - unless you are dead.
    That would utterly screw the Tory party as the largest user of postal votes are (elderly) Tories.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    edited February 2020

Nigelb said:

Bernie Campaign numbers:

Buttigeig 24.59
    KLOBUCHAR 11%

What it does strongly suggest is that Buttigieg did very well indeed. He's 10-1 on Betfair for the nomination - I suspect that will shorten when the official results appear.

Incidentally, I no longer think that most US voters don't think of the candidates mainly in moderate vs liberal terms. Nearly everyone interviewed on CNN (before I went to bed at 1) was doing exactly that, and voting accordingly.
    Seems like that, although I guess the places where Bernie has a volunteer who's on top of things skew young and/or urban, which I think would favour Mayor Pete over the other moderates.
  • Options

Endillion said:

ydoethur said:

speedy2 said:

rcs1000 said:

She'd win independents 3-1.

And she would re-energise the black vote, that stayed home for Hillary.
    Not sure on the former, especially considering the circumstances that would be required to get her on the ballot paper. I can't see how that happens without her being forced to spend the whole campaign defending her legitimacy as the candidate.

And I just cannot see her winning the rust belt. To me, she comes across as an even more preachy version of Jo Swinson.
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518

Indeed. Our system rewards parties which get more votes and not those that get fewer votes.

Rather than trying to get more votes we get poor losers whining about the voting system instead.

Here's food for thought for any complainants - take the beam out of your own eye and figure out why voters aren't backing your party.
    Don’t be silly. The losers are generally part of the progressive majority. Just a majority where they don’t agree on anything. Except they are not Tories. Except those masquerading as being in the progressive majority that they disagree with.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Bernie Campaign numbers:

Buttigeig 24.59
    KLOBUCHAR 11%

Were those interviewed representative of 'most US voters', though ?
    If they were caucusgoers, then almost certainly not.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Stocky said:

Nigelb said:

Thanks. I got greedy.

So now comes the hubris.
    Yes.
    Thanks - by the way Mr Royale, I preferred your analysis of the Parliament Square Brexit celebrations over SeanT`s. I was there all afternoon until past midnight. I haven`t posted about it yet, but suffice it to say that my wife and I felt ashamed about what we saw.
    Thanks.
  • Options
    Phuket.

I’ve shorted Biden down a few hundred and topped up on Pete.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Phuket.

I’ve shorted Biden down a few hundred and topped up on Pete.

For the nom or Iowa?
  • Options
    Alistair said:
    Pretty standard way to settle a tie...
This discussion has been closed.