Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » With three hours to go before the Iowa caucuses Betfair punter

12346»

Comments

• Options
    timmotimmo Posts: 1,469
    Foxy said:

Bernie Campaign numbers:
    https://twitter.com/ninaturner/status/1224590000089636866

Sanders: 29.66%
    Buttigieg 24.59%
    Warren: 21.24%
    Biden: 12.375
    KLOBUCHAR 11%
    Not quite enough to knock out any of the top five.
    Bad for Biden, good for Mayor Pete, Bizzie Lizzie and Amy if those are correct.

If I were Bernie I would have underplayed it
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

TGOHF666 said:

TGOHF666 said:

Pencil, paper - most votes the winner.

Not hard innit.

I fully expect Jezza/RLB to call for electronic voter tweet hubs in Lidl within 48hrs..

It’s far too myopic to say that low tech/no tech solutions are anachronistic and high tech ones must be better/more efficient.

Democracy has to be seen to be believed. At its core that depends upon a secret physical vote being cast against a registered voter. It’s not all about speed. The ballot boxes and votes need to be seen being counted and tallied by all sides, so they are accepted. There also needs to be an audit trail of where the votes came (not who cast them) from that’s reviewable.

Our system works because it’s physical and transparent. We’re also pretty darn efficient at counting them too.
    It also has to be fair and you know full well there are serious problems with our system in this department.

Whether you think that the other factors outweigh this is of course a matter of opinion.
    What serious problems?
    I could have predicted this response. You know full well.
    Peterborough ?

Votes should be cast on the day in the booth - unless you are dead.
    That would utterly screw the Tory party as the largest user of postal votes are (elderly) Tories.
    Postal voters are the true snowflakes. Demanding their voice be heard but not willing to walk down to the end of the street for the most important decision they can make.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,205

TGOHF666 said:

Not hard innit.

I fully expect Jezza/RLB to call for electronic voter tweet hubs in Lidl within 48hrs..

It’s far too myopic to say that low tech/no tech solutions are anachronistic and high tech ones must be better/more efficient.

Democracy has to be seen to be believed. At its core that depends upon a secret physical vote being cast against a registered voter. It’s not all about speed. The ballot boxes and votes need to be seen being counted and tallied by all sides, so they are accepted. There also needs to be an audit trail of where the votes came (not who cast them) from that’s reviewable.

Our system works because it’s physical and transparent. We’re also pretty darn efficient at counting them too.
    It also has to be fair and you know full well there are serious problems with our system in this department.

Whether you think that the other factors outweigh this is of course a matter of opinion.
    What serious problems?
    Your side isn't winning?
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    The advantage of our electoral system is that the risks of pursuing electoral fraud and remaining undetected almost always outweigh the potential benefits. And in the rare circumstances where it could theoretically change a Government, that Government would likely be too weak to do anything. Because, unlike Presidential FPTP our system doesn’t give near absolute power to very narrow winners.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,800

Nigelb said:

Bernie Campaign numbers:

Bernie: 29.66
    Buttigeig 24.59
    Warren: 21.24
    Biden: 12.37
    KLOBUCHAR 11%

“Represent the results from nearly 40%....” - ie this statement is entirely self serving, and unlikely to represent an accurate result.
    What it does strongly suggest is that Buttigieg did very well indeed. He's 10-1 on Betfair for the nomination - I suspect that will shorten when the official results appear.

Incidentally, I no longer think that most US voters don't think of the candidates mainly in moderate vs liberal terms. Nearly everyone interviewed on CNN (before I went to bed at 1) was doing exactly that, and voting accordingly.
    Mayor Pete put a lot into Iowa. Possibly his gamble worked. I like Amy too, but of the moderate faction Pete looks a far better candidate than Biden.
  • Options
    Agreed of all the issues in the Caucuses this must rank as a non-issue.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,792

DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

As always, @Cyclefree nails it.

Up to a point. With the current regime we already lock up more for longer than any other Western European country. Do we really want to double this?
    For serious and unreformed offenders? Yes, for life if need be.
    Who’s going to pay for it?
    It would be far cheaper to fund serious rehabilitation efforts.
    At the moment, we are effectively allowing prisons to be centres of radicalisation, which turn our individuals far more extreme than when they went in.

(Something which is in the process of happening on a much larger scale in the ISIS detention camp in northern Syria.)
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

Bernie Campaign numbers:

Buttigeig 24.59
    KLOBUCHAR 11%

“Represent the results from nearly 40%....” - ie this statement is entirely self serving, and unlikely to represent an accurate result.
    What it does strongly suggest is that Buttigieg did very well indeed. He's 10-1 on Betfair for the nomination - I suspect that will shorten when the official results appear.

Incidentally, I no longer think that most US voters don't think of the candidates mainly in moderate vs liberal terms. Nearly everyone interviewed on CNN (before I went to bed at 1) was doing exactly that, and voting accordingly.
    Mayor Pete put a lot into Iowa. Possibly his gamble worked. I like Amy too, but of the moderate faction Pete looks a far better candidate than Biden.
    Given his recent TV appearances, I fear how bad Biden might be later on this year if he were to win the nomination.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

Up to a point. With the current regime we already lock up more for longer than any other Western European country. Do we really want to double this?
    Taxes. Keeping the public safe is the first responsibility of government. The criminal justice system should be fully funded.
    Well at least we agree on that.
    Are you also in favour of big salaries for lawyers?
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,086

You don't just get to make that statement without being called out.

Within the past decade we had a nationwide vote on whether to change the voting system. (Admittedly, only because a party with 57 of the 650 seats - down 5 on their previous showing - insisted. Democracy, huh?)

The voters went away, thought about it - and said "Nah. You're alright. We'll stick with what we know." So that recently democratically-endorsed system is the one we use.

Excuse me, but I'm seeing fuck all unfairness there. Just a bad loser.
    Indeed. Our system rewards parties which get more votes and not those that get fewer votes.

Rather than trying to get more votes we get poor losers whining about the voting system instead.

Here's food for thought for any complainants - take the beam out of your own eye and figure out why voters aren't backing your party.
    I’m sorry but you guys are being deliberately obtuse. You know the counter arguments. Its fine that you support the current system but don’t pretend there are not valid arguments in the other direction.

For what its worth I have supported PR since about 16 years of age. Being a ‘sore loser’ has nothing to do with it.
  • Options
    It seems my leadership election form will continue to be poor to a statistically improbable extent.
  • Options
    How do you settle a kipper tie?
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Phuket.

I’ve shorted Biden down a few hundred and topped up on Pete.

For the nom or Iowa?
    Nom.
  • Options

Within the past decade we had a nationwide vote on whether to change the voting system. (Admittedly, only because a party with 57 of the 650 seats - down 5 on their previous showing - insisted. Democracy, huh?)

The voters went away, thought about it - and said "Nah. You're alright. We'll stick with what we know." So that recently democratically-endorsed system is the one we use.

Indeed. Our system rewards parties which get more votes and not those that get fewer votes.

Rather than trying to get more votes we get poor losers whining about the voting system instead.

Here's food for thought for any complainants - take the beam out of your own eye and figure out why voters aren't backing your party.
    I’m sorry but you guys are being deliberately obtuse. You know the counter arguments. Its fine that you support the current system but don’t pretend there are not valid arguments in the other direction.

For what its worth I have supported PR since about 16 years of age. Being a ‘sore loser’ has nothing to do with it.
    When the people were asked nine years ago, they said "nah, we'll stick with FPTP".

It's not our fault that the Labour Party didn't get behind AV.
  • Options

That you believe in something different does not mean our system has "serious problems" - especially when it was endorsed by an overwhelming majority recently.
  • Options

It's the standard line - and I remember it being trotted out in the 80's.
  • Options

That you believe in something different does not mean our system has "serious problems" - especially when it was endorsed by an overwhelming majority recently.
    No, an particular alternative system was rejected by an overwhelming majority.
    That is not the same thing at all.

• Options
    edited February 2020
    Why did the Lib Dems accept AV rather than full PR? It wouldn't be because they calculated that they'd do better under AV than PR (or, at least, they'd be more likely to hold the balance of power with AV), would it?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137
    Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

Bernie Campaign numbers:

Buttigeig 24.59
    KLOBUCHAR 11%

Until the bandwagon goes to South Carolina....where the wheels on the clown-car will again need re-attaching.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

It would be far cheaper to fund serious rehabilitation efforts.
    At the moment, we are effectively allowing prisons to be centres of radicalisation, which turn our individuals far more extreme than when they went in.

(Something which is in the process of happening on a much larger scale in the ISIS detention camp in northern Syria.)
    If banging up people for life worked then the USA would be a crime free nirvana. Banging up the Streatham stabbed for life for downloading stuff from the internet does sound a little draconian too.

The only senior British politician to speak sense on the subject was Douglas Hurd. An expensive way to make bad people worse.

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,566
    edited February 2020
    tlg86 said:

Why did the Lib Dems accept AV rather than full PR? It wouldn't be because they calculated that they'd do better under AV than PR (or, at least, they'd be more likely to hold the balance of power with AV), would it?

It was more that Labour offered AV and Dave (pbuh) had to match that.

The Lib Dems wanted multi member STV.

IIRC Clegg had called AV a miserable little compromise.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

No, an particular alternative system was rejected by an overwhelming majority.
    That is not the same thing at all.

Our status quo won by an overwhelming majority. It is the same thing. If a majority thought our system was broken they could have voted for change.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

It's the standard line - and I remember it being trotted out in the 80's.
    As opposed to the three-year old's tantrum standard line of "IT'S NOT FAIR!!!!!"?
  • Options

It seems my leadership election form will continue to be poor to a statistically improbable extent.

Not in tune with the farmers of Iowa?
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Why didn't the Lib Dems say no to AV? If you're going to go into coalition, then you need to extract a high price.
  • Options

How do you settle a kipper tie?
    Stop stirring it.....
  • Options
    Due to the tiny caucus sizes there is an absurdly high chance of going to coin tosses. Clinton won something like 6 coin tosses vs Sanders in 2016.
  • Options
    Dr. Foxy, their lack of wiffle sticks and F1 enthusiasm is bewildering.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Why didn't the Lib Dems say no to AV? If you're going to go into coalition, then you need to extract a high price.
    Because AV was as far as the Tories would go and Clegg really didn’t want to go into coalition with Labour.
  • Options
    In some good news though:

https://twitter.com/seatsixtyone/status/1224579247177596928?s=09

Amsterdam less than 6 hours away from Leicester by train, with only one change.
  • Options
    ClippPClippP Posts: 1,696
    tlg86 said:

No. I assumed it was because it was in the Labour Party manifesto, so there was a reasonable epectation that Labour would support it. And also because the Conservatives - who were the majority partner in the coalition - insisted on it. This woud have been because AV suited them better than proper STV. AV was, of course, described at the time as a "miserable little compromise".
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Fitting. Clegg's life after politics, working for Facebook - " a miserable little compromise...."
  • Options

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Because AV was as far as the Tories would go and Clegg really didn’t want to go into coalition with Labour.
    They didn't have to go into coalition with anyone.

Anyway, turnout in 2011 was only 42% so clearly FPTP doesn't annoy that many people (even if you considered AV to still be sub-optimal).
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Would've helped if either AV or STV had actually been in their manifesto.

The better question is why on earth did they not insist on not increasing tuition fees.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789

tlg86 said:

Clegg was remarkably self-unaware. Most coalitions, which the LD’s professed to love until reality bit, are compromises.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,368
    the cat is out of the bag, you cannot put it back in...
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,028
    That Harry Dunn story keeps rumbling on. It's quite obvious they are never going send the spook/housewife back. We didn't send them that basement dwelling incel that hacked the Pentagon so fair enough, I suppose.
  • Options
    TGOHF666TGOHF666 Posts: 2,052

TGOHF666 said:

TGOHF666 said:

Not hard innit.

What serious problems?
    Peterborough ?

That would utterly screw the Tory party as the largest user of postal votes are (elderly) Tories.
    Evidence that responsible seniors would stay at home ?
  • Options
    TGOHF666 said:

TGOHF666 said:

TGOHF666 said:

Not hard innit.

What serious problems?
    Peterborough ?

That they can't be arsed getting off their arses' at the moment.
  • Options
    TGOHF666 said:

TGOHF666 said:

TGOHF666 said:

Not hard innit.

What serious problems?
    Peterborough ?

Two decades of canvassing for the Tory party.

They’d most likely forget when the election was supposed to be.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,361
    edited February 2020

Seems like that, although I guess the places where Bernie has a volunteer who's on top of things skew young and/or urban, which I think would favour Mayor Pete over the other moderates.

FWIW they claim the districts sampled are a representative sample of the state in terms of urban/rural etc. Last tkime, Sanders did much better outside the cities, presumably because (as in the UK), the non-conservatives who bother to be politically active are often more left-wing than their urban counterparts.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,320
    Alistair said:

Due to the tiny caucus sizes there is an absurdly high chance of going to coin tosses. Clinton won something like 6 coin tosses vs Sanders in 2016.

Very odd, this delay. I'm not usually one for conspiracy theories but I think it's clear what is going on here. It was looking like a big win for Bernie and the Military Industrial Complex has reacted quickly and got the fix in.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,368
    kinabalu said:

Alistair said:

Very odd, this delay. I'm not usually one for conspiracy theories but I think it's clear what is going on here. It was looking like a big win for Bernie and the Military Industrial Complex has reacted quickly and got the fix in.
    You would have thought America would have learned from the British experience of dallying with the hard left as the Opposition....
  • Options
    Endillion said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

The better question is why on earth did they not insist on not increasing tuition fees.
    I was amazed when you said it wasn't , so I checked. It was, please check your facts.

"Introduce single transferrable vote system, cut number of MPs by 150 and introduce fixed-term parliaments"
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/election_2010/8619630.stm
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,320

You would have thought America would have learned from the British experience of dallying with the hard left as the Opposition....

Tired old thinking. It's a new era.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,774

the cat is out of the bag, you cannot put it back in...
    I thought the cat always went back in the bag after use? Or has that horse bolted out of Pandora's box?
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options
    kinabalu said:

Alistair said:

Yeah, sure.
    As I pointed out earlier, this shiny new system is the result of Bernie's complaints about how the process was run last time around.
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976

Endillion said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

I was amazed when you said it wasn't , so I checked. It was, please check your facts.

"Introduce single transferrable vote system, cut number of MPs by 150 and introduce fixed-term parliaments"
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/election_2010/8619630.stm
    You are correct. My mistake.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Alistair said:

Nurse!
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

alex_ said:

Glad I didn't stay up then.

This is why electronic voting is a bad idea folks.

Nothing wrong with the basic idea. It's the implementation which is rubbish. Strikes me someone has been too clever by half, as the saying goes.
    Good ideas which have a high chance of being badly implemented are bad ideas.

It’s why conservatism (small c) is such an enduring political force.
    What is really worrying is that the Democrats, who aspire to government in one of the most significant countries of the world, have made such a mess of things.
    American elections are always a bit of a farce, with states being called on a fraction of votes, California taking forever, faithless electors etc, rampant voter suppression and gerrymandering. Not to mention an impeachment trial that refuses to examine witnesses or evidence.

Mind you our own system of democracy doesn't look very healthy either, with illegal prorogation and a refusal to debate a Withdrawal Agreement that seems not to have been read or understood by the Prime Minister.
    Agree. And a system which gave one party a considerable vote increase and a reduction in seats hasn't much to commend it.
    It'll be instructive to watch the Irish go about it. Might take them a bit longer to count than us, but at least the system will be seen to be fair and representative.
    Is @TheGreenMachine about?

What in the Good Friday Agreement triggers a border poll on reunification of Ireland?
    We're into new decade, new approach now.

Also, there's probably a lot of stuff the public don't find out.
This discussion has been closed.