Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » With three hours to go before the Iowa caucuses Betfair punter

Comments

• Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,896
    Gabs3 said:

Chameleon said:

What happens when the uncommitted group wins a delegate?

They can't.
    CNN have been talking up an uncommitted group becoming viable denying delegates to Sanders/Warren, so clearly something happens.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,797
    Different results for Ladbrokes and Betfair looking quite possible still
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    edited February 2020
    Sander 22%
    Pete 21%
    Biden 17%
    Warren 17%
    Amy 15%

On 1.36% of precincts returning...
  • Options
    Gabs3Gabs3 Posts: 836

Sander 22%
    Pete 21%
    Biden 17%
    Warren 17%
    Amy 15%

Source?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,797
    Interesting caucugoer survey:
    “ More than 4 in 10 caucusgoers said a woman would have a hard time defeating Trump. Almost 6 in 10 said the same of a gay candidate.”
  • Options
    Gabs3 said:

Sander 22%
    Pete 21%
    Biden 17%
    Warren 17%
    Amy 15%

Source?
    https://elections.ap.org/dailykos/results/2020-02-03/state/IA/race/P/raceid/17277
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    Apparently 35% of people are first time caucus goers, compared to 44% first timers in 2016. Which seems to suggest that once you stand in a room for 3 hours to vote once there's a good chance you swear off it in future years!
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,060
    rpjs said:

Tim_B said:

All the beeb folks are making a big deal of a pop concert organized by Bernie's campaign on Saturday which attracted 3000 people. What they don't mention is that Trump was in Des Moines Thursday and got 9000 inside and several thousand crowded outside.

So? I don’t think anyone’s expecting Iowa to be Democratic pick-up in November.
    It's a possible. The match-ups have it as close if Buttigieg is the nominee, but on-one else gets particularly close.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rpjs said:

Tim_B said:

All the beeb folks are making a big deal of a pop concert organized by Bernie's campaign on Saturday which attracted 3000 people. What they don't mention is that Trump was in Des Moines Thursday and got 9000 inside and several thousand crowded outside.

So? I don’t think anyone’s expecting Iowa to be Democratic pick-up in November.
    It's a possible. The match-ups have it as close if Buttigieg is the nominee, but on-one else gets particularly close.
    Also a stretch Senate race that Dems don't expect to win but could in a strong night.
  • Options
    24 precincts reporting first alignment, 5 candidates between 15% and 22%.
  • Options

Sander 22%
    Pete 21%
    Biden 17%
    Warren 17%
    Amy 15%

I would guess that rural will report earlier (as there are fewer people to count), so Sanders will have a late surge.

But I would also expect him not to be as transfer friendly as Buttigieg.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Sander 22%
    Pete 21%
    Biden 17%
    Warren 17%
    Amy 15%

I would guess that rural will report earlier (as there are fewer people to count), so Sanders will have a late surge.

Those numbers are post-transfers though, right?
  • Options
    speedy2speedy2 Posts: 981
    edited February 2020
    So far it looks like it's going to be a very close result between Sanders and Buttigieg for 1st place, and Biden Warren and Klobuchar for 3rd.
  • Options
    If the race becomes Sanders vs Buttigieg, with Biden a distant third, there will be tremendous pressure on Biden from the party establishment to drop out.
  • Options
    Gabs3 said:

rcs1000 said:

Sander 22%
    Pete 21%
    Biden 17%
    Warren 17%
    Amy 15%

Those numbers are post-transfers though, right?
    No, they are first cut.
  • Options
    Gabs3 said:

If the race becomes Sanders vs Buttigieg, with Biden a distant third, there will be tremendous pressure on Biden from the party establishment to drop out.

Nope, as long as Biden gets third and Buttigieg wins then Biden becomes the nominee.

But if Biden comes 4th or 5th, even if Sanders loses then Biden will lose the nomination.

It's all a mess so far, especially for 3rd place.
  • Options
    SagandSagand Posts: 35
    Transfers seem to be favouring Buttigieg, and being a 2nd everywhere is better than having strong holds in terms of delegates. (Betfair winner)
  • Options
    Lol at Bloomberg slipping for the nomination on Betfair, despite the early results being as good as he could hope for (Biden 3rd or 4th, no clear winner).
  • Options
    Quincel said:

Lol at Bloomberg slipping for the nomination on Betfair, despite the early results being as good as he could hope for (Biden 3rd or 4th, no clear winner).

Not sure what these Bloomberg 7/1 backers are on, to be honest. makes them rather unpredictable
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    The results as we approach the 2 hour mark since the caucus started:

With 1.8% in.

Sanders 25%
    Warren 21%
    Buttigieg 19%
    Biden 14%
    Klobuchar 13%

This is very very early and the count is unusually very very slow.
  • Options
    speedy2 said:

With 1.8% in.

Sanders 25%
    Warren 21%
    Buttigieg 19%
    Biden 14%
    Klobuchar 13%

A position which changes a lot on second alignment. I think the difference will narrow though
  • Options

speedy2 said:

With 1.8% in.

Sanders 25%
    Warren 21%
    Buttigieg 19%
    Biden 14%
    Klobuchar 13%

A position which changes a lot on second alignment. I think the difference will narrow though
    Turnout has unexpectedly dropped since last time which is weird why it takes so long to count fewer votes.
  • Options

speedy2 said:

With 1.8% in.

Sanders 25%
    Warren 21%
    Buttigieg 19%
    Biden 14%
    Klobuchar 13%

Second alignment right now.

Buttigieg, Pete 27.59%

Sanders, Bernie 23.2%

Biden, Joe 16.73%

Warren, Elizabeth 16.11%

Klobuchar, Amy 16.08%

• Options
    edited February 2020
    Oh great, the Iowa Democratic Party has announced that they don't know when they will start officially publishing results.
  • Options
    Gabs3 said:

speedy2 said:

With 1.8% in.

Sanders 25%
    Warren 21%
    Buttigieg 19%
    Biden 14%
    Klobuchar 13%

Buttigieg, Pete 27.59%

Sanders, Bernie 23.2%

Biden, Joe 16.73%

Warren, Elizabeth 16.11%

Klobuchar, Amy 16.08%

No-one is dropping out before SC on those numbers. 6 (7 with Steyer?) candidates for Super Tuesday, and potentially the 360 delegates the week after could make this really interesting.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Chameleon said:

Gabs3 said:

speedy2 said:

With 1.8% in.

Sanders 25%
    Warren 21%
    Buttigieg 19%
    Biden 14%
    Klobuchar 13%

Buttigieg, Pete 27.59%

Sanders, Bernie 23.2%

Biden, Joe 16.73%

Warren, Elizabeth 16.11%

Klobuchar, Amy 16.08%

No-one is dropping out before SC on those numbers. 6 (7 with Steyer?) candidates for Super Tuesday, and potentially the 360 delegates the week after could make this really interesting.
    Forget speculating right now, we are at 1.8% In on First votes and 1.4% with Second votes.

This time in 2016 80% of the vote had already being counted, this is a logistical disaster.

At this rate it might take them until Friday to finish counting.
  • Options
    speedy2 said:

Chameleon said:

Gabs3 said:

speedy2 said:

With 1.8% in.

Sanders 25%
    Warren 21%
    Buttigieg 19%
    Biden 14%
    Klobuchar 13%

Buttigieg, Pete 27.59%

Sanders, Bernie 23.2%

Biden, Joe 16.73%

Warren, Elizabeth 16.11%

Klobuchar, Amy 16.08%

Forget speculating right now, we are at 1.8% In on First votes and 1.4% with Second votes.

This time in 2016 80% of the vote had already being counted, this is a logistical disaster.

Because they didn't report first preferences last time. This will all come in suddenly.
  • Options
    Gabs3 said:

speedy2 said:

Chameleon said:

Gabs3 said:

speedy2 said:

With 1.8% in.

Sanders 25%
    Warren 21%
    Buttigieg 19%
    Biden 14%
    Klobuchar 13%

Buttigieg, Pete 27.59%

Sanders, Bernie 23.2%

Biden, Joe 16.73%

Warren, Elizabeth 16.11%

Klobuchar, Amy 16.08%

Because they didn't report first preferences last time. This will all come in suddenly.
    But they dud have to *count* first preferences last time.

These will come at once because the earlier results are effectively being held back
  • Options
    edited February 2020
  • Options
    speedy2 said:
    Maybe another country should invade to spread democracy to the state...

(Sorry, it's been a long night already.)
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Quincel said:

speedy2 said:
    Maybe another country should invade to spread democracy to the state...

(Sorry, it's been a long night already.)
    I know, they counted 1 precinct in the past 40 minutes.
    There are 1732 to go.

At this rate they will finish at around March 23rd.
  • Options
    Warren goes into third...
  • Options
    Right, it's officially the point in the night I am thankful I took tomorrow off!!
  • Options
    I've now been watching CNN for 2 hours and the main thing I've learned is I should talk to my doctor about a new skin cream which offers unparalleled results for a variety of conditions...
  • Options
    edited February 2020

Right, it's officially the point in the night I am thankful I took tomorrow off!!

I think you will need the whole week off.

This is a giant mess that is going to be litigated forever and no one will know who won.

With no winner declared Betfair and Ladbrokes will never pay up.

The only winner tonight was Trump.
  • Options
    So I guess for people who were wondering how the Dems are going to manage to lose to a criminal reality TV star who is clearly mentally unwell, the answer seems to be: They're going to have a nominee supported by like 30% of their voters, and the other 70% are going to think they were cheated.
  • Options
    Well that famously junky Entrance poll has changed again, now 24% are under 29 years old to 27% over 65 years old.

Now if you gave me those numbers yesterday I would have said Sanders would have won, and Biden would have come in 4th.
  • Options

So I guess for people who were wondering how the Dems are going to manage to lose to a criminal reality TV star who is clearly mentally unwell, the answer seems to be: They're going to have a nominee supported by like 30% of their voters, and the other 70% are going to think they were cheated.

Precisely.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,313
    CNN analyst - delay in Iowa results will reduce the size of positive impact which winner gets.

State of Union tomorrow, impeachment next day.

So window for Iowa boost is right now - any delay and it gets lost.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    After another 30 minutes we have another precinct.

After almost 3 hours 1.9% is in.

Sanders 26%
    Warren 22%
    Buttigieg 18%
    Klobuchar 14%
    Biden 13%
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,313
    Problems with app which precinct captains have to use to report results to headquarters.

Some have tried telephoning results in and they cant get through.

One held on telephone for an hour and then gave result out themselves on twitter.
  • Options
    So, it looks like Sanders from Biden, but on a pretty low vote share.
  • Options
    Iowa Democrats meeting with the campaigns, this could go on for a while yet.
  • Options
    With the same 34 Precincts reporting the difference between the First and Second votes are:

Sanders +2
    Warren +3
    Buttigieg +6
    Klobuchar -2
    Biden -2
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Rumours going around that the caucus will have to be repeated again Tommorow because the results cant be processed.
  • Options
    speedy2 said:

Rumours going around that the caucus will have to be repeated again Tommorow because the results cant be processed.

What a complete shitshow
  • Options
    I think this marks the end of Iowa's first in the nation role
  • Options
    speedy2 said:

I don't believe they'd do that. The accusations of bias against whoever looked to have won tonight, plus the results do exist since the physical caucusing went mostly normal. It may take all day tomorrow but they can surely get the results from the precinct people.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

speedy2 said:

What a complete shitshow
    The only sure loser is everyone who placed a bet on the Iowa Democratic Caucus.
  • Options
    Klobuchar doing the smart thing and just giving a speech anyway. Give a positive speech, no-one can prove you haven't outperformed expectations, and get a few hours sleep.
  • Options
    I'm off to bed. What a waste of time
  • Options

I'll probably do the same before 5am.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

speedy2 said:

What a complete shitshow
    "I am not a member of an organized political party. I am a Democrat."

Why are left wing parties such a fucking mess the world over?
  • Options
    Quincel said:

I've got to get up at 5am
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Quincel said:

speedy2 said:

I don't believe they'd do that. The accusations of bias against whoever looked to have won tonight, plus the results do exist since the physical caucusing went mostly normal. It may take all day tomorrow but they can surely get the results from the precinct people.
    Well what is going around, and there is a lot of conflicting information, is that the Mobile Phone App for the Caucus they used crashed and the results were either gone or corrupted.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Quincel said:

I made the right call by booking Tuesday off work, my mistake was setting my alarm for 1.30am to watch the results when I could have gotten up at my normal time!
  • Options
    OK so

https://twitter.com/Clay_Masters/status/1224550601146740741?s=19

This sounds fair enough, since at least one nation state with excellent hackers definitely does want to screw things up for them.
  • Options

OK so

This sounds fair enough, since at least one nation state with excellent hackers definitely does want to screw things up for them.

The Republicans are already claiming this is the Democrats trying to rig things so that Sanders is not the nominee
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

OK so

The Republicans are already claiming this is the Democrats trying to rig things so that Sanders is not the nominee
    The combination of this and that poll being cancelled is fodder for the conspiracy theorists.
  • Options
    Gabs3 said:

rcs1000 said:

OK so

The combination of this and that poll being cancelled is fodder for the conspiracy theorists.
    After what happend in 2016 it will fuel it alright.
  • Options
    Daniel arap Moi has died. Probably lost the will, whilst waiting for the Iowa results.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

OK so

Yup, it's bad, but not as bad as "precinct organizer swears he reported X for Bernie, state party reported X - 3"
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

OK so

Yup, it's bad, but not as bad as "precinct organizer swears he reported X for Bernie, state party reported X - 3"
    The Sanders campaign will definitely do that, they have a separate reporting system.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    And all the votes went poof:

https://twitter.com/SabrinaSiddiqui/status/1224554657315524609

Lesson: Always have a paper copy.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Quincel said:

Me too. Clocking in at 5 now. Looks like the pb night shift has let us down.
  • Options
    I'm too tired of original thinking right now but this sums it up:
    https://twitter.com/DouthatNYT/status/1224553569317281792
    Have a good rest.
  • Options
    speedy2 said:

And all the votes went poof:

https://twitter.com/SabrinaSiddiqui/status/1224554657315524609

Lesson: Always have a paper copy.

Or better: Don't involve computers in the first place.
  • Options
    speedy2 said:

Quincel said:

speedy2 said:

Well what is going around, and there is a lot of conflicting information, is that the Mobile Phone App for the Caucus they used crashed and the results were either gone or corrupted.
    A new angle for the forthcoming pb thread, Electronic Voting: what could go wrong? Spoiler: everything.
  • Options
    The last thread on the four ways Iowan results will be reported seems to have missed one.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,911
    "Results from Iowa's caucuses, the first vote in the race to pick a Democratic White House candidate, have been plunged into chaos by apparent technology issues.

The state's Democratic party said it had found "inconsistencies"."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-51367291
  • Options
    Mayor Pete is claiming victory, lads.
  • Options
    "Iowa caucuses: 'Something has gone wrong'"

https://edition.cnn.com
  • Options
    Well that's the end of it:
    https://twitter.com/thomaswright08/status/1224563221572608002

The question now is will the Betting Companies refund the money placed on the Caucus if the results are never fully published ?
  • Options
  • Options

But by which metric? Most delegates, most initial votes, most after realignment? How does he know? Has his twitter account been hacked? Or is he just making the claim and will worry about the details later?
  • Options
    Oh and by the way.

The California Primary is even worse, last time it took them weeks to count the results, and it has gotten worse since then.

Do not place bets on the California Primary, the chances that they will screw up like Iowa is very very high.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,205
    rcs1000 said:
    The end of caucuses!

Seriously, this lot couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery. No wonder Trump is laughing.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    edited February 2020
    Piece on their systems from the NYT (from a few days ago):
    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/31/us/politics/iowa-caucuses-hacking-security.html

Still, Iowa is taking security a step further this year, and for the first time in the state’s history caucus attendees will have to fill out a “presidential preference card” to document their choice. These cards, which will be individually numbered and have other security features, are intended to offer the caucuses some form of a “paper trail” that election security experts say is vital to protecting results.

Additionally, while the caucuses have relied on mobile apps to record and tabulate results in the past, the Iowa Democratic Party is using a new app this year that has been tested and verified by both security experts and the Department of Homeland Security. Described as a “fancy calculator,” the app will help precinct chairs tabulate results during each phase of the caucus, and then send results to the Iowa Democratic Party headquarters. (For those chairs who don’t feel comfortable with an app, the traditional phone hotline will still be operating.)

The Iowa result is far more about momentum than it is about delegates. Buttigieg is giving himself a boost until the real totals are tabulated.

After the results from the app are immediately transmitted to the party’s headquarters, a team of officials there will review them to look for possible outlier results. Each official will have a set of historical results and models that will help identify any result that looks suspicious; if a precinct has traditionally had a turnout of roughly 50 percent and results come in showing 98 percent, the team will be able to investigate.

“We knew that technology gave us some opportunities in this process, but with those opportunities came different challenges,” said Troy Price, the chairman of the Iowa Democratic Party. He said that the preference cards were a “clear way of double-checking and verifying results” and noted that the level of data preparation was more extensive than in recent years.

“We have been very diligent about doing our modeling and figuring out exactly what projected turnout could be at different levels,” Mr. Price said. “So we’ll be able to see if things look wildly incongruent from what we would expect.”
    So I guess they were paranoid about hacking, so they put in a bunch of checks to detect anomalies. And either it showed some false positive or this process is always full of little screw-ups, and they detected the screw-ups and stopped the process, when normally they'd just go with whatever they'd got and worry about it later if the numbers were wrong (see Romney vs Santorum).
  • Options

But by which metric? Most delegates, most initial votes, most after realignment? How does he know? Has his twitter account been hacked? Or is he just making the claim and will worry about the details later?
    Yes, I believe it is the latter.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:
    The path of being useless.
  • Options
    Buttigieg declaring himself victorious with 0% of the votes is silly from his part:

https://twitter.com/SteveKornacki/status/1224565631732809734
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,339
    And the clear winner tonight was:

Donald J. Trump.
  • Options
    speedy2 said:

Well that's the end of it:
    https://twitter.com/thomaswright08/status/1224563221572608002

The question now is will the Betting Companies refund the money placed on the Caucus if the results are never fully published ?

Who knows? There will presumably be some sort of result, and as per the last thread, bookies have chosen to settle on different metrics.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,374
    speedy2 said:

rcs1000 said:
    What the hell is new about that?
  • Options
    SagandSagand Posts: 35
    speedy2 said:

Buttigieg declaring himself victorious with 0% of the votes is silly from his part:

https://twitter.com/hunterw/status/1224576249844117504?s=20

It seems quite possible both Sanders (first round voters) and Pete (State Delegates) will have claim to victory.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,996
    speedy2 said:

I'm too tired of original thinking right now but this sums it up:
    https://twitter.com/DouthatNYT/status/1224553569317281792
    Have a good rest.

It's new and cool so it must be better, right?
  • Options
    Glad I didn't stay up then.

This is why electronic voting is a bad idea folks.
  • Options
    speedy2 said:

All the candidates have apparently claimed victory apart from Joe Biden.
  • Options
    "Hang on lads, I've got an idea.."
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,049

Nothing wrong with the basic idea. It's the implementation which is rubbish. Strikes me someone has been too clever by half, as the saying goes.
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    edited February 2020

Nothing wrong with the basic idea. It's the implementation which is rubbish. Strikes me someone has been too clever by half, as the saying goes.
    Good ideas which have a high chance of being badly implemented are bad ideas.

It’s why conservatism (small c) is such an enduring political force.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,049
    alex_ said:

Good ideas which have a high chance of being badly implemented are bad ideas.

It’s why conservatism (small c) is such an enduring political force.
    What is really worrying is that the Democrats, who aspire to government in one of the most significant countries of the world, have made such a mess of things.
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    Got to think that the next Presidential Election is going to be one of the most dangerous points in recent American political history. When all the warnings about US voting systems come home to roost. The potential for legitimately querying the validity of the result is going to be enormous.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,139
    speedy2 said:

rcs1000 said:
    Just draft Michelle Obama and make a contest of it.

Because, Democrats, at this point it ain't.....
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,339

speedy2 said:

rcs1000 said:
    Just draft Michelle Obama and make a contest of it.

Because, Democrats, at this point it ain't.....
    Whereas it would look really good to have consecutive candidates who were the wives of previous Presidents...
  • Options
    Smartphones really are making people stupid aren't they.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,691
  • Options
    As Dave Barry once said, if your car had broken down at the side of the road, a Republican would drive on by, because they were in a hurry to get to an ugly pants night at the country club. A Democrat would stop to help you, but you'd end up with your car on fire.
This discussion has been closed.