Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » GE2019 – the general election that the pollsters mostly got ri

124»

Comments

• RobDRobD Posts: 58,941
    TOPPING said:

RobD said:

TOPPING said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

The story about Jolyon Maugham bludgeoning a fox to death, while wearing his wife's oversmall kimono, is quite something. Maybe career ending.

It comes a couple of days after A C Grayling had a public meltdown and claimed ten metre tall geckos from Mars were running the planet.

It looks like the Brexychosis is entering its final florid stage as we approach Jan 31. I am worried for Ian Dunt and that Irish diplomat lady.

Was he defending chickens? I know I should just look on Twitter but I don't think I want to.
    He claims he was. He has chickens. But still, why smash it to death without getting advice first?

And then why gloat about it on Twitter, FFS? He has destroyed himself.

To make it worse, and even weirder, in November he tweeted about doing the exact same thing, wearing his wife's kimono and going outside with a baseball bat, hoping to crush the skull of some fox (this time he didn't find one)

So he likes to wear a lady's kimono when he brutally executes wild animals??!

You absolute twat.

Perhaps he should have formed a support group for the fox and workshopped a solution with it.
    Sounds like it was trapped in the wire. Why not try and cut it out?
    You're kidding right. Would you do the same for a rat?
    Maybe not, I dunno. But I don't think I'd smash ones head in.
  • If only Remain had put Paddington on the side of a bus......

More of a St Pancras fan, personally...
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,742
    RobD said:

TOPPING said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

The story about Jolyon Maugham bludgeoning a fox to death, while wearing his wife's oversmall kimono, is quite something. Maybe career ending.

It comes a couple of days after A C Grayling had a public meltdown and claimed ten metre tall geckos from Mars were running the planet.

It looks like the Brexychosis is entering its final florid stage as we approach Jan 31. I am worried for Ian Dunt and that Irish diplomat lady.

Was he defending chickens? I know I should just look on Twitter but I don't think I want to.
    He claims he was. He has chickens. But still, why smash it to death without getting advice first?

To make it worse, and even weirder, in November he tweeted about doing the exact same thing, wearing his wife's kimono and going outside with a baseball bat, hoping to crush the skull of some fox (this time he didn't find one)

You absolute twat.

Perhaps he should have formed a support group for the fox and workshopped a solution with it.
    Because the fox would attack him while he was doing it, and they carry a variety of highly unpleasant diseases?
  • isamisam Posts: 40,730
    Byronic said:

RobD said:

TOPPING said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

You absolute twat.

Maugham has admitted he was "hungover" and also that the lady's kimono he was wearing - the one he likes to wear when attempting to take a cudgel to wild animals - was "too short".

Maybe he was too unsteady to bend over and loosen the wire, and worried he might flash the neighbours if the sexy girl's kimono came loose, so a baseball bat was just easier?

That just sounds like the Viz sketch "Sherlock Homo"

https://ukjarry.blogspot.com/2009/02/223-viz-sherlock-homo.html
  • ByronicByronic Posts: 3,578
    ydoethur said:

RobD said:

TOPPING said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

You absolute twat.

Because the fox would attack him while he was doing it, and they carry a variety of highly unpleasant diseases?
    I don't know ANYONE whose first reaction would be to march out in an undersized lady's kimono, wielding a baseball bat, and smash the poor animal's head to pieces

Apart from on here, that is. On here we seem to have quite a lot of cross dressing sadists. Bravo!

Happy Boxing Day
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,958

If only Remain had put Paddington on the side of a bus......

Paddington takes you to the SW. No other train line is needed....
  • FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    kyf_100 said:

Byronic said:

ydoethur said:

Byronic said:

ydoethur said:

Byronic said:

I’ve no time for Maugham, but given the circumstances this is just ridiculous from the RSPCA:

RSPCA looks into lawyer Jolyon Maugham's claim he killed fox with baseball bat
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-50919327

High time and long overdue they were stripped of their royal warrant and ordered to get out of politics or give up their charitable status.
    What? That's just the RSPCA doing their job.

Maugham has quite gleefully tweeted that he smashed the fox to death with his baseball bat. Brave man. If this was some teen on a horrible estate, doing that, the lout would go straight on front of the beak, and rightly so.

Maugham didn't even call the RSPCA or a vet first, just went out there and cudgelled the poor critter to a pulp.

Yuk. Arrest him.
    The RSPCA are not doing their job. They have no more powers to investigate allegations of animal cruelty than anyone else. They pretend they do but they are lying. If they are concerned they should contact the police.

And as foxes are vermin, and dangerous vermin at that, I don’t quite know what your point is. If it was trapped, technically it would be an offence to release it, believe it or not,

It looks, prima facie, like Maugham is in big trouble, and could easily face prosecution, and might be convicted

http://barristerblogger.com/2019/12/26/should-jolyon-maugham-be-prosecuted-for-bludgeoning-a-fox-to-death/
    How are you on the right to defend your property from burglars?
    If you ever see a fox walking off with someones flat screen feel free to smash its head in.......
  • kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,911
    Floater said:

kyf_100 said:

Byronic said:

ydoethur said:

Byronic said:

ydoethur said:

Byronic said:

I’ve no time for Maugham, but given the circumstances this is just ridiculous from the RSPCA:

High time and long overdue they were stripped of their royal warrant and ordered to get out of politics or give up their charitable status.

Maugham has quite gleefully tweeted that he smashed the fox to death with his baseball bat. Brave man. If this was some teen on a horrible estate, doing that, the lout would go straight on front of the beak, and rightly so.

Maugham didn't even call the RSPCA or a vet first, just went out there and cudgelled the poor critter to a pulp.

Yuk. Arrest him.
    The RSPCA are not doing their job. They have no more powers to investigate allegations of animal cruelty than anyone else. They pretend they do but they are lying. If they are concerned they should contact the police.

And as foxes are vermin, and dangerous vermin at that, I don’t quite know what your point is. If it was trapped, technically it would be an offence to release it, believe it or not,

It looks, prima facie, like Maugham is in big trouble, and could easily face prosecution, and might be convicted

http://barristerblogger.com/2019/12/26/should-jolyon-maugham-be-prosecuted-for-bludgeoning-a-fox-to-death/
    How are you on the right to defend your property from burglars?
    If you ever see a fox walking off with someones flat screen feel free to smash its head in.......
    If an intruder broke into my home with the intent of causing harm to my loved ones, I'd feel perfectly entitled to use force to defend them.

In this case the burglar was a fox and the loved ones a family pet, but honestly, the bleeding heart twitterati have got this one dead wrong.

It was a wild animal, a pest and a possible danger. So what if he clubbed the thing to death?
  • If only Remain had put Paddington on the side of a bus......

Paddington takes you to the SW. No other train line is needed....
    Waterloo takes you as far as Exeter!
    Byronic said:

ydoethur said:

Byronic said:

ydoethur said:

Byronic said:

Yuk. Arrest him.

In a bizarre twofer, can we expect to hear of Gina Miller bragging of baking hedghogs as a supplement to her Christmas dinner....? Or maybe Dominic Grieve will tweet about how wonderful it was to have a Thames swan this year, rather than the usual turkey?

• NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,263
    Byronic said:

+1. I don't care what he was wearing (or how he voted in the referendum), but his unseemly amusment about the incident, even after the event, adds insult to injury.
    Byronic said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:

TOPPING said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

You absolute twat.

I don't know ANYONE whose first reaction would be to march out in an undersized lady's kimono, wielding a baseball bat, and smash the poor animal's head to pieces

Apart from on here, that is. On here we seem to have quite a lot of cross dressing sadists. Bravo!

Happy Boxing Day
    Well, I don’t own a baseball bat, because I only play proper sports. Nor do I have a kimono.

But if I found a fox in that situation, yes, I would kill it. Probably by calling the vet and asking him to shoot it, but that’s the situation and Maugham is in the right and the RSPCA are as usual in the wrong,

Of course, he was a bloody fool to comment on Twitter, as Barrister Blogger notes. He would have avoided all this aggro if he had kept his fingers to himself.
    Nigelb said:
    Are you trying to brush it off?
  • ByronicByronic Posts: 3,578
    edited December 2019

If an intruder broke into my home with the intent of causing harm to my loved ones, I'd feel perfectly entitled to use force to defend them.

In this case the burglar was a fox and the loved ones a family pet, but honestly, the bleeding heart twitterati have got this one dead wrong.

It was a wild animal, a pest and a possible danger. So what if he clubbed the thing to death?

It wasn't threatening his pets, it was threatening his chickens. If you are bonkers enough to keep chickens in central London, then you should know that there are lots of urban foxes out there, and you need to protect the hens well, because in the city you are NOT allowed to shoot predatory animals. They must be dealt with in a more humane way. It is the law.

But really, this misses the point. I don't understand anyone who would take a baseball bat to a trapped fox. It's just not normal.

Imagine if you came across someone doing that to a fox in your city street. Smashing its head with a bat. How would you feel? What would you do?

I hope I'd have the guts to say "Look mate, leave that fucking fox alone, you horrible brute".

Maybe I am getting soft in my old age, if so, I don't care.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,080
    ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:
    He’s craftily leading you off the scent.
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950

Byronic said:

+1. I don't care what he was wearing (or how he voted in the referendum), but his unseemly amusment about the incident, even after the event, adds insult to injury.
    The fox couldn't give a stuff if he was laughing his head off or weeping sincerely.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614
    ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:
    Ha ha ha. Boom boom!
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited December 2019
    Byronic said:

ydoethur said:

Byronic said:

Maugham has quite gleefully tweeted that he smashed the fox to death with his baseball bat. Brave man. If this was some teen on a horrible estate, doing that, the lout would go straight in front of the beak, and rightly so.

Yuk. Arrest him.
    Foxes are vermin. As in, that is their literal categorisation.

Would you arrest someone who trapped or poisoned a mouse?

Like, just to be clear, I think fox hunting is regressive barbarism but killing foxes is totally OK.
  • kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,911
    Byronic said:

It wasn't threatening his pets, it was threatening his chickens. If you are bonkers enough to keep chickens in central London, then you should know that there are lots of urban foxes out there, and you need to protect the hens well, because in the city you are NOT allowed to shoot predatory animals. They must be dealt with in a more humane way. It is the law.

But really, this misses the point. I don't understand anyone who would take a baseball bat to a trapped fox. It's just not normal.

Imagine if you came across someone doing that to a fox in your city street. Smashing its head with a bat. How would you feel? What would you do?

I hope I'd have the guts to say "Look mate, leave that fucking fox alone, you horrible brute".

Maybe I am getting soft in my old age, if so, I don't care.

One man's cute and cuddly is another's snarling, biting, disease-ridden murderer. Foxes are pests, plain and simple. And I do know people who keep chickens who consider them pets. They are dumb but quite soothing to hold.

If I felt the life of a pet of mine was in danger from a wild animal I would do whatever it took to protect the pet.

However, I probably wouldn't go crowing about it on Twitter after, either.
  • felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:
    He’s craftily leading you off the scent.
    Stop hounding the poor little snowflake.
  • ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:
    Boom-Boom!
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 43,615

Byronic said:

ydoethur said:

Byronic said:

ydoethur said:

Byronic said:

Yuk. Arrest him.

In a bizarre twofer, can we expect to hear of Gina Miller bragging of baking hedghogs as a supplement to her Christmas dinner....? Or maybe Dominic Grieve will tweet about how wonderful it was to have a Thames swan this year, rather than the usual turkey?

Careful - in some (poorer) cultures eating swan is perfectly normal dish. By taking the side of the Queen (who owns all the swans) you are instinctively being xenophobic, classist, and punching down. Please report for re-education to your nearest Xinjiang camp.
  • CookieCookie Posts: 11,183
    Jeez. You take a couple of days off thinking about politics for some family time at Christmas anf come back to find we're arguing about the rights amd wrongs of Jolyon Maugham in women's nightwear bludgeoning a fox to death.
    But, maybe this only looks preposterous because I've had a few days away. Maybe to normal people this is what the bubble looks like all the time.
    Still, an entertaining follow-up to the Jo Swinson squirrel killer story.
    Byronic said:

A C Grayling is a clown and an idiot

{laughter from all the other *nine* metre tall geckos in their people suits}
    Cookie said:

Jeez. You take a couple of days off thinking about politics for some family time at Christmas anf come back to find we're arguing about the rights amd wrongs of Jolyon Maugham in women's nightwear bludgeoning a fox to death.
    But, maybe this only looks preposterous because I've had a few days away. Maybe to normal people this is what the bubble looks like all the time.

Earlier on it was me making awesome puns on the cricket.

Unfortunately, to the uninitiated they looked like knob jokes.

Alistair said:
    I would like to think of them as the Browntrousers.
    Surely in the heat of India, shorts would be better?
  • BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489
    Nigelb said:
    Rarely in the history of the English language have so many words been used to convey so little.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited December 2019
    Brexit Delusion Syndrome driving people to bashing foxes to death with baseball bats since 2019....
  • glwglw Posts: 9,535

Brexit Delusion Syndrome driving people to bashing foxes to death with baseball bats since 2019....

Whether or not it's legal, anyone who thinks it's a good idea to go on Twitter and say "I beat a fox to death with a baseball bat" is showing seriously bad judgement. J. K. Rowling has been getting it in the neck for merely liking a Tweet, and some of the stuff being said about her now is unpublishable on here.
    ydoethur said:

Cookie said:

After a lot of trying, we finally got de Kock out just before he would have exploded onto the scoreboard.
  • glw said:

Whether or not it's legal, anyone who thinks it's a good idea to go on Twitter and say "I beat a fox to death with a baseball bat" is showing seriously bad judgement. J. K. Rowling has been getting it in the neck for merely liking a Tweet, and some of the stuff being said about her now is unpublishable on here.
    In the past many of these cases that have gone viral have been some poor sod with bugger all followers / no public profile e.g. the lady who made the joke about getting AIDs in Africa. I have some sympathy for these people, as they see social media as only talking to their friends.

However, Jo is a public person who uses twitter to push the campaign to stop Brexit. It is quite incredible that he didn't even consider what the effect of publishing such a tweet.
  • Gabs3Gabs3 Posts: 836
    I have killed plenty of maimed mice the cat has brought in. I suppose I could have kept the poor sods alive for a few hours awaiting the RSPCA to do it for me, diverting them from helping animals that will actually live. But it seems stupid. I don't see how a fox is any different.

But it is amusing to see the sort of people who defended Tony Martin shooting a human being in the back get so outraged.
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 595

David Beckham @ Evens?

Theresa May and Mary Berry seem the likeliest on the list. Olivia Colman only just got a CBE so will have to wait a few years.
  • SandraMcSandraMc Posts: 582
    edited December 2019
    First, condolences to MarqueeMark. To lose a parent is incredibly painful and to lose one when you know so many other people are enjoying Christmas celebrations must make it even more poignant.

I find foxgate odd and the kimono detail makes it positively bizarre. The Guardian has the headline: " Prominent lawyer Jolyon Maugham clubs fox to death while wearing kimono" , which reminds me of a line from the Marx brothers' film "Animal Crackers" when Groucho says: "I once shot an elephant in my pyjamas. What it was doing in my pyjamas I'll never know."
    dodrade said:

David Beckham @ Evens?

Theresa May and Mary Berry seem the likeliest on the list. Olivia Colman only just got a CBE so will have to wait a few years.
    That 50/1 on Theresa May is bonkers. Surely it’s a dead cert it’s been offered to her, after nine years as HS then PM?
  • glwglw Posts: 9,535

glw said:

In the past many of these cases that have gone viral have been some poor sod with bugger all followers / no public profile e.g. the lady who made the joke about getting AIDs in Africa. I have some sympathy for these people, as they see social media as only talking to their friends.

However, Jo is a public person who uses twitter to push the campaign to stop Brexit. It is quite incredible that he didn't even consider what the effect of publishing such a tweet.
    Jon Ronson's book So You've Been Publicly Shamed is very good about this sort of social media storm, but as you say Maugham really should have realised that such a statement would provoke outrage.
    Sandpit said:

dodrade said:

David Beckham @ Evens?

That 50/1 on Theresa May is bonkers. Surely it’s a dead cert it’s been offered to her, after nine years as HS then PM?
    Former PMs are conventionally offered the Garter (EW) or the Thistle (Scotland). But Tony Blair hasn’t been invested with the Garter, allegedly because HM dislikes him, and by tradition these things go in order of seniority. So Cameron, May and Johnson might have to wait until he snuffs it (and May is older than Blair).
  • MJWMJW Posts: 1,282
    dodrade said:

David Beckham @ Evens?

Anderson looks value to me. Cook has one, and Anderson probably sits ahead of him in the pantheon of test bowlers than Cook does test batsmen. Big year for cricket in the headlines. Coming towards the end of his career, looks like the right time to do it, this year or next.
  • alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    edited December 2019
    ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

dodrade said:

David Beckham @ Evens?

Former PMs are conventionally offered the Garter (EW) or the Thistle (Scotland). But Tony Blair hasn’t been invested with the Garter, allegedly because HM dislikes him, and by tradition these things go in order of seniority. So Cameron, May and Johnson might have to wait until he snuffs it (and May is older than Blair).
    Well if the reason is directly due to HM opinion, then there is presumably another route, if PoW has a different view... But fair enough - couldn't happen this year.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 24,585
    ydoethur said:

Cookie said:

Punning is often seen as a rather unsophisticated form of humour. On the other hand it is generally conceded that a good quality knob joke is hard to pull off!
    alex_ said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

dodrade said:

David Beckham @ Evens?

Well if the reason is directly due to HM opinion, then there is presumably another route, if PoW has a different view... But fair enough - couldn't happen this year.
    Murdering the queen would strike me as an over-reaction to being refused the Garter.

It might annoy Prince Charles as well, although you never know given how long he’s been waiting.
    edited December 2019

ydoethur said:

Cookie said:

Punning is often seen as a rather unsophisticated form of humour. On the other hand it is generally conceded that a good quality knob joke is hard to pull off!
    Well, thank you for this somewhat backhanded compliment, but I would rather you pulled off knobs in your own time.
  • Gabs3Gabs3 Posts: 836
    MattW said:
    Timmersman previously wrote a far better letter appealing to the British. That one is a combination of platitudes and sneering.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,045
    edited December 2019
    This thread is outrageously hilarious. Albeit that I can't help feeling a bit sorry for the fox.

Which arch-remainer will avenge the remain cause with a devastating broadside at mother nature next? I vote Lord Adonis running moles over with his ride on lawnmower at midnight, having hurriedly donned a pair of his wife's ugg boots.
    SandraMc said:

First, condolences to MarqueeMark. To lose a parent is incredibly painful and to lose one when you know so many other people are enjoying Christmas celebrations must make it even more poignant.

I find foxgate odd and the kimono detail makes it positively bizarre. The Guardian has the headline: " Prominent lawyer Jolyon Maugham clubs fox to death while wearing kimono" , which reminds me of a line from the Marx brothers' film "Animal Crackers" when Groucho says: "I once shot an elephant in my pyjamas. What it was doing in my pyjamas I'll never know."

Thank you, Sandra. Very kind of you.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 24,585
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Cookie said:

Well, thank you for this somewhat backhanded compliment, but I would rather you pulled off knobs in your own time.
    It was a pretty poor effort I must confess, but apparently not wasted upon your goodself!
  • ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201
    Sandpit said:

dodrade said:

David Beckham @ Evens?

It has been proposed as
    MJW said:

dodrade said:

David Beckham @ Evens?

Anderson looks value to me. Cook has one, and Anderson probably sits ahead of him in the pantheon of test bowlers than Cook does test batsmen. Big year for cricket in the headlines. Coming towards the end of his career, looks like the right time to do it, this year or next.
    Anderson will get one when he retires and he has stated that he wants to play in the next ashes, so that means next New Years Honours List at earliest.
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,715
    alex_ said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

dodrade said:

David Beckham @ Evens?

If May gets some fancy gong ahead of Blair, Brown (who might refuse it anyway) and Cameron it will say something rather nasty about Johnson.
  • ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201
    Well I thought Leicester would have put up more of a fight, winning at Scottish football must be childs play.

alex_ said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

dodrade said:

David Beckham @ Evens?

If May gets some fancy gong ahead of Blair, Brown (who might refuse it anyway) and Cameron it will say something rather nasty about Johnson.
    Both the Garter and the Thistle are in the personal gift of the Queen. But she has appointed several people to each since 2010 while passing over Blair and Brown.

It is also, it should be noted, rumoured that Blair refused a knighthood and a peerage for fear it would lead to awkward questions about his financial arrangements. Brown is believed to be a Republican in private. So there may be other reasons why it hasn’t happened.
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,074

2017: People were inclined to think the best of Theresa May - despite some of the evidence.

2019: People were inclined to think the worst of Boris - beause of some of the evidence.

If however Boris should turn out to generally be a Good Egg as PM, there are plenty of voters to win back. Bad news for the LibDems - all of their literature at the end of the campaign was banging the anti-Boris drum.

The other factor in this election was the virtual absence of Con --> Labour switchers. I didn't a single one in six weeks of door-knocking.

(Thanks to all who expressed their best wishes to me on here regarding my mother. Sadly, she passed yesterday morning.)

I am so so sorry to hear this. All my sympathies to you. It is very poignant to lose a beloved parent at this time.

I can report back that the service from Furness General Hospital has been tip top, very efficient. Antibiotic dose doubled so fingers crossed.

• dodrade said:

David Beckham @ Evens?

Can't see why May would get a damehood.
  • alex_ said:

nunu2 said:

MattW said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Does anyone have lists of constituencies which had:

1) Largest Conservative vote increase
    2) Largest Conservative vote decrease
    3) Larges Labour vote increase
    4) Largest Labour vote decrease

1 & 4 possibly Bassetlaw ?

Are you going on absolute votes or %

Redcar over 12% for 1)
    Mansfield @17.3% for 1
    Ashfield -18.1% for Lab.

Largest labour vote decrease.......Wentworth and Dearne? A couple of other south yourkshire seats also had massive Labour decreases. But why? I know they voted heavily Brexit but so did many other Labour Leave areas in the north and Midlands.
    It was one of those seats where on paper it looks as if the incumbent was saved by a rather large Brexit party vote. Does anyone have an explanation why BRX did particularly well in a few seats?
    The BXP put a huge amount of resources into South Yorkshire.

Massive leaflet sending, cars with loudspeakers, activists in town marketplaces.

How much that took extra votes from Labour but also stopped straight Lab to Con switching I don't know.
  • Sandpit said:

dodrade said:

David Beckham @ Evens?

Get on then.
    ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

dodrade said:

David Beckham @ Evens?

I thought Blair not having an honour was related to his wife being a vocal Republican?
  • Sandpit said:

dodrade said:

David Beckham @ Evens?

Get on then.
    Its not a dead cert but it should be shorter than 50/1.

I've put the £5 on which WH allowed me.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,770
    RobD said:

TOPPING said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

You absolute twat.

Releasing it would be illegal.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,770
    Byronic said:

RobD said:

TOPPING said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

You absolute twat.

Maugham has admitted he was "hungover" and also that the lady's kimono he was wearing - the one he likes to wear when attempting to take a cudgel to wild animals - was "too short".

Maybe he was too unsteady to bend over and loosen the wire, and worried he might flash the neighbours if the sexy girl's kimono came loose, so a baseball bat was just easier?

You seem obsessed with his attire, like those bonkers anti hunt people
  • rcs1000 said:

Byronic said:

RobD said:

TOPPING said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

You absolute twat.

Byronic is a cross dressing male model IIRC.
  • Sandpit said:

dodrade said:

David Beckham @ Evens?

Get on then.
    Its not a dead cert but it should be shorter than 50/1.

I've put the £5 on which WH allowed me.
    Good lad.
    rcs1000 said:

RobD said:

TOPPING said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

You absolute twat.

Releasing it would be illegal.
    Getting near a trapped fox like that would be difficult and very unpleasant.
  • squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,287

Byronic said:

Foxes are vermin. they kill for fun in a frenzy. the only good fox is a dead one. Most people who are unaware look at them and want to cuddle them and their offspring.. until one comes into their house and attacks their child...
    Cyclefree said:

2017: People were inclined to think the best of Theresa May - despite some of the evidence.

2019: People were inclined to think the worst of Boris - beause of some of the evidence.

If however Boris should turn out to generally be a Good Egg as PM, there are plenty of voters to win back. Bad news for the LibDems - all of their literature at the end of the campaign was banging the anti-Boris drum.

The other factor in this election was the virtual absence of Con --> Labour switchers. I didn't a single one in six weeks of door-knocking.

(Thanks to all who expressed their best wishes to me on here regarding my mother. Sadly, she passed yesterday morning.)

I am so so sorry to hear this. All my sympathies to you. It is very poignant to lose a beloved parent at this time.

I can report back that the service from Furness General Hospital has been tip top, very efficient. Antibiotic dose doubled so fingers crossed.

Thank you.

Hope your hospitalization isn't the result of a bizarre gardening accident?

(Spinal Tap's first drummer, Stumpy, died in a “bizarre gardening accident”, as did Toto's drummer Jeff Porcaro in real life: Porcaro fell ill after spraying and accidentally inhaling insecticide in his garden in 1992, later dying of a heart attack.)
  • Can I just say, I finally saw the latest Star Wars....it was that bad it made the Mandalorian (minus Baby Yoda) look good. I would have preferred to have watched Radiohead live at Glastonbury than that pile of crap.
  • Can I just say, I finally saw the latest Star Wars....it was that bad it made the Mandalorian (minus Baby Yoda) look good. I would have preferred to have watched Radiohead live at Glastonbury than that pile of crap.

Tbh, I don't like marvel, sci fi or anything of the sort.

Can I just say, I finally saw the latest Star Wars....it was that bad it made the Mandalorian (minus Baby Yoda) look good. I would have preferred to have watched Radiohead live at Glastonbury than that pile of crap.

Apparently that means you are a Russians troll....

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2018/oct/02/star-wars-the-last-jedi-rian-johnson-abuse-politically-motivated-russian-trolls

Since Russian infiltration has reached Hollywood (again), it is clear that the US Senate needs to re-establish the House Un-American Activities Committee.

You will learn to love Big Brother Big Disney
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,074

Cyclefree said:

Thank you.

(Spinal Tap's first drummer, Stumpy, died in a “bizarre gardening accident”, as did Toto's drummer Jeff Porcaro in real life: Porcaro fell ill after spraying and accidentally inhaling insecticide in his garden in 1992, later dying of a heart attack.)
    No. Not gardening. No idea of the cause. Have been really quite sick since Saturday and a full recovery will take another week or more. Not a great time to be laid low but it does allow for lots of reading. So there is that.
  • nunu2nunu2 Posts: 1,453
    edited December 2019
    Gabs3 said:

I have killed plenty of maimed mice the cat has brought in. I suppose I could have kept the poor sods alive for a few hours awaiting the RSPCA to do it for me, diverting them from helping animals that will actually live. But it seems stupid. I don't see how a fox is any different.

But it is amusing to see the sort of people who defended Tony Martin shooting a human being in the back get so

God, the left are thick as pig shit. Comparing a plotting, intruder /burglar to a dumb fox.

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Thank you.

No. Not gardening. No idea of the cause. Have been really quite sick since Saturday and a full recovery will take another week or more. Not a great time to be laid low but it does allow for lots of reading. So there is that.
    It is a fabulous time of the year to get into a great book. Let us know if you get engrossed in a cracker as you recuperate.

Your feeble skills are no match for the power of the Daft Side!
  • nunu2nunu2 Posts: 1,453
    P

This thread is outrageously hilarious. Albeit that I can't help feeling a bit sorry for the fox.

Which arch-remainer will avenge the remain cause with a devastating broadside at mother nature next? I vote Lord Adonis running moles over with his ride on lawnmower at midnight, having hurriedly donned a pair of his wife's ugg boots.

The thing about this story is even if the QC has broken the law, he will get away with it, because of who he is.
  • nunu2 said:

P

The thing about this story is even if the QC has broken the law, he will get away with it, because of who he is.
    And because his behaviour was utterly reasonable to anyone who lives rural. But... the story has it all. The member of the metropolitan elite, who the metropolitan elite look at and think “he’s a bit elite”, bludgeons a fox to death on Boxing Day while wearing his wife’s kimono, then tweets about it in the context that he’s had a bad morning.

• NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,263
    Cyclefree said:

Sympathies - rotten time of year for it, but never good - hope you feel much better soon.
  • Byronic said:

Foxes are vermin. they kill for fun in a frenzy. the only good fox is a dead one. Most people who are unaware look at them and want to cuddle them and their offspring.. until one comes into their house and attacks their child...
    The only other creature that gets an entirely undeserved good press, is the badger. A vicious disease riddled territorial aggressive nasty little fu*ker who will go ape sh*t cat style berserk if feel cornered.
  • tysontyson Posts: 6,049

Can I just say, I finally saw the latest Star Wars....it was that bad it made the Mandalorian (minus Baby Yoda) look good. I would have preferred to have watched Radiohead live at Glastonbury than that pile of crap.

Radiohead live at Glasto were pretty fucking off the scale amazing ....

It helps to be a bit on the syndrome to enjoy these SciFi borefests........

Tbh, I don't like marvel, sci fi or anything of the sort.
    James Bond and Pirates of the Caribbean...any film in a franchise is shit....apart from the Godfather Part 2 obviously...but the Godfather Part 3 was naff
    rcs1000 said:

Byronic said:

RobD said:

TOPPING said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

You absolute twat.

Bonkers anti hunt people.....hmmm....what RCS is good about killing sentient mammals cruelly for a bit of fun...
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,080
    tyson said:

rcs1000 said:

Byronic said:

RobD said:

TOPPING said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

You absolute twat.

Bonkers anti hunt people.....hmmm....what RCS is good about killing sentient mammals cruelly for a bit of fun...
    ‘tis the American in him.
  • rcs1000 said:

Byronic said:

RobD said:

TOPPING said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

You absolute twat.

Byronic is an attention seeking bell IIRC.
  • rcs1000 said:

Byronic said:

RobD said:

TOPPING said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

You absolute twat.

I've corrected the quoting for you.
  • alteregoalterego Posts: 1,100

rcs1000 said:

Byronic said:

RobD said:

TOPPING said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

You absolute twat.

I've corrected the quoting for you.
    WTF?
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,231
    Byronic said:

The story about Jolyon Maugham bludgeoning a fox to death, while wearing his wife's oversmall kimono, is quite something. Maybe career ending...

If you would care to refresh your memory of the character you are playing, you would see that you are actually out of character at this point. Again. Honestly, at this point you're this close to making asides to the audience and winking at the camera.
    OK, my 2019 summary of PB posters for the upcoming article is:

The events (2019)
    @Big_G_North_Wales: Partner died (2018?)
    @CasinoRoyale: Birth of daughter
    @Cyclefree: Mother died (January 2019?)
    @ExiledInScotland: Brother with oesophageal cancer
    @FF43: Father died
    @Floater: Son has a lump
    @Gallowgate: Law conversion course Northumbria University
    @Hyufd: Father had cancer (2018?)
    @Jonathan: Mother died. Sister diagnosed with breast cancer
    @malcolmg: Visit to A&E
    @MarqueeMark: Mother died
    @NigelB: Parent with late stage Alzheimers
    @OldKingCole: Operation on lumbar stenosis and wife with gall-bladder problems
    @RobinWiggs: Wife with breast cancer
    @Sandpit: Mother in law died
    @TheScreamingEagles: Thought he had stomach cancer but did not
    @Theuniondivvie: Will do welding class in 2020
    @twistedfirestopper3: Wife with breast cancer

The deaths (2019 and before)
    @PlatoSaid (aka Philippa): https://politicalbetting.vanillacommunity.com/profile/comments/PlatoSAID
    @MarkSenior: https://politicalbetting.vanillacommunity.com/profile/comments/MarkSenior
    @Calum: https://politicalbetting.vanillacommunity.com/profile/comments/calum

I couldn't track down the person doing a military history degree nor the person who has ceased treatment and is now on palliative care only.

Obviously this is personal info, so if you wish to be omitted or I have got any information wrong, please let me know and I'll happily alter it
  • MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,281
    edited December 2019
    @viewcode My mother also died in 2019.
    MikeL said:

@viewcode My mother also died in 2019.

I'm sorry to hear that, @MikeL . I will include her.
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,880
    viewcode said:

The events (2019)

@Dura_ace lost driving licence but did 102km/h on a bicycle descending the Col du Simplon.
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    viewcode said:

The events (2019)

@PlatoSaid (aka Philippa): https://politicalbetting.vanillacommunity.com/profile/comments/PlatoSAID
    @MarkSenior: https://politicalbetting.vanillacommunity.com/profile/comments/MarkSenior

I couldn't track down the person doing a military history degree nor the person who has ceased treatment and is now on palliative care only.

Obviously this is personal info, so if you wish to be omitted or I have got any information wrong, please let me know and I'll happily alter it

@viewcode please omit my sister from the article. A little too personal and raw.
  • viewcode said:

The events (2019)

I think it's Sean F doing the military history degree.
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950
    @viewcode shouldn't we have some nice things that posters have done?

For example no idea how @Dura_Ace managed to stay on his bicycle as it was strapped to the roof of a support vehicle during his cycle race but that was some feat.
This discussion has been closed.