Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » GE2019 – the general election that the pollsters mostly got ri

Comments

• Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,548
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Does anyone have lists of constituencies which had:

1) Largest Conservative vote increase
    2) Largest Conservative vote decrease
    3) Larges Labour vote increase
    4) Largest Labour vote decrease

1 & 4 possibly Bassetlaw ?

Are you going on absolute votes or %

Redcar over 12% for 1)
    Mansfield @17.3% for 1
    Ashfield -18.1% for Lab.

• Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,433
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

How thick are they.
    I think it would be great!
    I would be great , but to infer it keeps the union going is just fantasy.
    I agree, it won't 'save the union'. I suspect that's more The Sun's hyperbole than Nicky Morgan's though. Though she has attracted the sobriquet 'Thicky Morgan', so who knows?
  • Options
    Are we all enjoying the free footie then? Good practice for the Euros
  • Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

How thick are they.
    I think it would be great!
    I would be great , but to infer it keeps the union going is just fantasy.
    I agree, it won't 'save the union'. I suspect that's more The Sun's hyperbole than Nicky Morgan's though. Though she has attracted the sobriquet 'Thicky Morgan', so who knows?
    A 2030 UK-wide (and Ireland) World Cup bid was in the Conservative manifesto. Obviously, the blue team had not costed the enormous bribes needed to have any other country vote for a tournament with as many as six places going to automatic qualifiers.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,242
    Dudley North the Tory vote rose 16.6%
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,718
    Anyone fancy Wolves to beat Man City tomorrow. 8.2 with Betfair looks big to me.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    MattW said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Redcar over 12% for 1)
    Mansfield @17.3% for 1
    Ashfield -18.1% for Lab.

Bassetlaw was however -24.9%
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,779
    malcolmg said:

Omnium said:

You know the one thing I think I may recall of 2019 is not all the Brexit kerfuffle. I think it's more that 'Bercow' should never have been 'one across' in the crossword.

He may get all sorts of honours and the like - but top billing in the PB Xmas crossword!?

(I have little recollection of previous 'one across' accolades, but please do enlighten me if you happen to know)

That is petty , he saved parliamentary democracy from the nasty Tories. He should be enobled forthwith.
    Perhaps, but 'one across' !

(I was so sure it was 'Clarke' until I couldn't make it fit)

@MattW -Ashfield: the independent there ruined a great betting opportunity.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    ydoethur said:

MattW said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Redcar over 12% for 1)
    Mansfield @17.3% for 1
    Ashfield -18.1% for Lab.

I`ve been catching up on podcasts and listened to Nick Robinson`s podcast "political Thinking" - Laura Pidcock 31 October.

Bless her, she had no idea - chuckle - she could be back though - and she`s like Corbyn but with a brain.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

ydoethur said:

MattW said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Redcar over 12% for 1)
    Mansfield @17.3% for 1
    Ashfield -18.1% for Lab.

I`ve been catching up on podcasts and listened to Nick Robinson`s podcast "political Thinking" - Laura Pidcock 31 October.

Bless her, she had no idea - chuckle - she could be back though - and she`s like Corbyn but with a brain.
    It’s comparatively unusual for a young politician who loses their seat early on in their career to come back and make a mark in politics. Churchill, Macmillan and Foot are notable exceptions. But they are exceptions. Even for quite high profile and well established MPs, it’s usually a distinct blight. Portillo, for example, never recovered personally or politically from the shock of unexpectedly losing his seat. Rifkind was hardly better. Gordon Walker just kept losing. Stephen Twigg was also damaged.

Pidcock may buck the trend. But she looks more like a Corbynite Ed Balls to me.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,978
    Stocky said:

Anyone fancy Wolves to beat Man City tomorrow. 8.2 with Betfair looks big to me.

Probably worth a punt, though de Bruyne is in frightening form at the moment.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    You’ve got to feel a bit for de Kock, even though he’s ruined my reputation as England’s best strike bowler.

I think England just lacked penetration when de Kock and Philander were in play.

But helpfully, de Kock withdrew too late and that means we are into the tail.
  • Options

Stocky said:

Probably worth a punt, though de Bruyne is in frightening form at the moment.
    I`ve wagered a small sum on any Wolves win - also on a 3-2 Wolves win at 75/1. If it comes in I may be re-posting this tomorrow.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Stocky said:

ydoethur said:

MattW said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Redcar over 12% for 1)
    Mansfield @17.3% for 1
    Ashfield -18.1% for Lab.

It’s comparatively unusual for a young politician who loses their seat early on in their career to come back and make a mark in politics. Churchill, Macmillan and Foot are notable exceptions. But they are exceptions. Even for quite high profile and well established MPs, it’s usually a distinct blight. Portillo, for example, never recovered personally or politically from the shock of unexpectedly losing his seat. Rifkind was hardly better. Gordon Walker just kept losing. Stephen Twigg was also damaged.

What's Pidcock ever done ?

Lost a safe Labour council seat in 2017 on a 25% swing.

Got elected to a safe Labour parliamentary constituency.

Made some stupid comments.

Lost a safe Labour parliamentary seat in 2019.
  • Options
    Philander’s putting it about far too much.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Floater said:

2017: People were inclined to think the best of Theresa May - despite some of the evidence.

2019: People were inclined to think the worst of Boris - beause of some of the evidence.

If however Boris should turn out to generally be a Good Egg as PM, there are plenty of voters to win back. Bad news for the LibDems - all of their literature at the end of the campaign was banging the anti-Boris drum.

The other factor in this election was the virtual absence of Con --> Labour switchers. I didn't a single one in six weeks of door-knocking.

(Thanks to all who expressed their best wishes to me on here regarding my mother. Sadly, she passed yesterday morning.)

Sorry to hear that Mark

My condolences
    Sorry to hear that - I wasn't there when my mum died a month ago.

My personal tradition is that I go and view the body in order to make a tangible full stop, which I find very helpful. It is an idea I had conversations about at University wiht Russian Orthodox and Irish Catholic types, which I have adopted since.

Best of wishes, whatever your practice.
  • Options
    Suspect Pidders will not be bucking anything, except a bronco:

"‘I know it has been a long time coming, but we are on the path to justice.

And because people know that it is perfectly possible that Jeremy Corbyn could be our prime minister, you can be sure that absolutely everything, absolutely everything, is going to be thrown at us in the next few weeks.

People will say some of the most hurtful things about our people and our communities and our political representatives.

Please forgive them, please forgive them, for they know not what they do"
    https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2019/11/the-apocalyptic-self-righteousness-of-laura-pidcock/
  • Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

Wasn't someone advising a bet on Xmas day ratings? Thought G&S was pretty gash myself.

https://twitter.com/superTV247/status/1210143126175784965?s=2

Edit: the full results.

https://twitter.com/superTV247/status/1210143943884705792?s=20

The only reason our TV was on yesterday was to have background Christmas songs. We had a great family day with 10 of us and games of Articulate into the evening. Best Christmas for quite a while.
    Gavin and Stacey literally the only tv show we watched yesterday.
    I would rather have poked my eyes out , was it as crap as I thought it would be.
    If you liked the original show, this was more of the same, with a big bag of nostalgia. If you didn’t like the original you are unlikely to like this.
    All-encompassing aversion to James Corden means I’ve never been able to go anywhere near it.
    Yes I lost money betting against G and S. I watched it. Wasnt really worth the wait and not impressed with the ending that just seemed to be teeing up for another series.
  • Options
    Just looked at Next Labour Leader market. Surprised to see Cooper is so short compared to when I last looked.

Do we have any dates for this process to start yet?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929

Pulpstar said:

3) Largest Labour vote increase

Redcar over 12% for 1)
    Redcar was +12.8%
    Grimsby was +12.7%
    Bassetlaw was +11.9%

but Mansfield was +17.3%, Walsall North was +14.2% and Stoke South was +13.1%.

All three were Conservative gains in 2017.

If the Conservatives gains of 2019 have similar patterns ...

Also does anyone know why Blackburn and Burnley now have totally different electoral patterns ?

Broadly - Blackburn is 70% white, Burnley 87%
  • Options
    Just seen "The Rise of Skywalker" in the West End. Um, I actually thought it was better than I expected!
  • Options
    Was Labour's best result Bradford West ? +11.5%
  • Options
    Nicky "Unelected Has-Been" Morgan :lol:
  • Options

Just seen "The Rise of Skywalker" in the West End. Um, I actually thought it was better than I expected!

You thought The Last Jedi was better than it was for years!
  • Options

2017: People were inclined to think the best of Theresa May - despite some of the evidence.

2019: People were inclined to think the worst of Boris - beause of some of the evidence.

If however Boris should turn out to generally be a Good Egg as PM, there are plenty of voters to win back. Bad news for the LibDems - all of their literature at the end of the campaign was banging the anti-Boris drum.

The other factor in this election was the virtual absence of Con --> Labour switchers. I didn't a single one in six weeks of door-knocking.

(Thanks to all who expressed their best wishes to me on here regarding my mother. Sadly, she passed yesterday morning.)

Sorry to hear of your loss, my deepest sympathies.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

You thought The Last Jedi was better than it was for years!
    The Last Jedi was so 2017 :lol:
  • Options

ELBOW actually approximated to the real Result this time around!

2019 result GB
    Con 45
    Lab 33

2019 final ELBOW
    Con 43
    Lab 34

Compare with:

2017 result GB
    Con 44
    Lab 41

2017 final ELBOW
    Con 43
    Lab 37

2015 result GB
    Con 38
    Lab 31

2015 final ELBOW
    Con 33
    Lab 34(!)
  • Options
    jayfdeejayfdee Posts: 618
    Just back from a freezing swim in Morecambe bay, did it with my 11 year old Granddaughter, she did it for charity, and raised £300 for the local Hospice.
    Fabulous atmosphere, very British, with people of all ages plunging in, some very brave men in a Mankini,plenty of Women in Bikinis.
    Now thawing out with Brandy.
    Happy Christmas all.
  • Options
    MattW said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Redcar over 12% for 1)
    Mansfield @17.3% for 1
    Ashfield -18.1% for Lab.

+18% for the Ashfield Independents!
  • Options
    jayfdee said:

Just back from a freezing swim in Morecambe bay, did it with my 11 year old Granddaughter, she did it for charity, and raised £300 for the local Hospice.
    Fabulous atmosphere, very British, with people of all ages plunging in, some very brave men in a Mankini,plenty of Women in Bikinis.
    Happy Christmas all.

You must be crazy. Never get me near that.

Women in bikinis you say?
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,225
    Stocky said:

Just looked at Next Labour Leader market. Surprised to see Cooper is so short compared to when I last looked.

She's my best betting outcome by miles.

Not sure who I'm going to vote for with the star filly missing the engagement.
  • Options
    jayfdee said:

Happy Christmas all.

Women are tougher in cold water it seems.

Than men I mean.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

She's my best betting outcome by miles.

Not sure who I'm going to vote for with the star filly missing the engagement.
    I`ll never understand your prediliction for Pidcock. You seem so sensible otherwise.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

jayfdee said:

Happy Christmas all.

Than men I mean.
    And their nipples go hard.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

jayfdee said:

Happy Christmas all.

You must be crazy. Never get me near that.

Women in bikinis you say?
    Yeah, have to have some incentive.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

jayfdee said:

Happy Christmas all.

Than men I mean.
    And their nipples go hard.
    The Women enjoyed all the male flesh on display, but nothing went hard.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

You’ve got to feel a bit for de Kock, even though he’s ruined my reputation as England’s best strike bowler.

I think England just lacked penetration when de Kock and Philander were in play.

Guess what the German version of Masterchef is called.

Yes - it is.

👃
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

ydoethur said:

Guess what the German version of Masterchef is called.

Yes - it is.

👃
    Isn’t it Meisterkock?
  • Options
    I seem to have walked into the middle of PB Smut Club.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,974
    Omnium said:

malcolmg said:

Omnium said:

You know the one thing I think I may recall of 2019 is not all the Brexit kerfuffle. I think it's more that 'Bercow' should never have been 'one across' in the crossword.

He may get all sorts of honours and the like - but top billing in the PB Xmas crossword!?

(I have little recollection of previous 'one across' accolades, but please do enlighten me if you happen to know)

That is petty , he saved parliamentary democracy from the nasty Tories. He should be enobled forthwith.
    Perhaps, but 'one across' !

(I was so sure it was 'Clarke' until I couldn't make it fit)

@MattW -Ashfield: the independent there ruined a great betting opportunity.
    Agree Clarke should have been above him
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,304
    @MarqueeMark very sorry to hear about your mother. With very best wishes to you and your family.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,990
    edited December 2019
    kinabalu said:

jayfdee said:

Happy Christmas all.

Than men I mean.
    <blockquote class="

Women have more natural body fat.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,995
    ydoethur said:

Stocky said:

ydoethur said:

MattW said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Redcar over 12% for 1)
    Mansfield @17.3% for 1
    Ashfield -18.1% for Lab.

Rifkind lost Pentlands in 1997, and didn't return to Parliament until 2005, by which point he was... not such a young man. (I wonder, if it hadn't been a coalition government, would he have got a cabinet post in 2010?)
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,990
    edited December 2019
    TOPPING said:

@MarqueeMark very sorry to hear about your mother. With very best wishes to you and your family.

Seconded. Christmas will never seem quite the same.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

Stocky said:

ydoethur said:

MattW said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Redcar over 12% for 1)
    Mansfield @17.3% for 1
    Ashfield -18.1% for Lab.

Rifkind lost Pentlands in 1997, and didn't return to Parliament until 2005, by which point he was... not such a young man. (I wonder, if it hadn't been a coalition government, would he have got a cabinet post in 2010?)
    Probably not, as he was only interested in the Foreign Office and that was earmarked for William Hague. But I included him as an established politician.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

Stocky said:

ydoethur said:

MattW said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Redcar over 12% for 1)
    Mansfield @17.3% for 1
    Ashfield -18.1% for Lab.

No he fell out with Dave.

Back in 2005 Dave offered him the shadow Work & Pensions job* but Rifkind said he would only take the shadow Foreign Secretary job so Dave said cheerio.

*He was the incumbent remember, Michael Howard brought Rifkind back into the shadow cabinet straight after the 2005 GE.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,444
    edited December 2019
    Alistair said:
    The current version of the cow bothering nationalists in control of the BJP are really frightening, fortunately Congress are acting honourably.
  • Options

Alistair said:
    The current version of the cow bothering nationalists in control of the BJP are really frightening, fortunately Congress are acting honourably.
    Can I just point out that the BJP have zero MPs in my native Kerala state?
  • Options
    Alistair said:
    I would like to think of them as the Browntrousers.
  • Options
    edited December 2019

Alistair said:
    I would like to think of them as the Browntrousers.
    I thought their key policy (other than massacring non-Hindus) was improved sanitation?
  • Options
    Just remember if you didn't like The Last Jedi then you are likely to be a Russian bot

https://twitter.com/LukewSavage/status/1210000976855404545
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,782

Just remember if you didn't like The Last Jedi then you are likely to be a Russian bot

Oh Godsdammit, [checks midsection]. I'm a Russian bot! [self-destructs]
  • Options

Typical Disney, the lengths they go to to hide a stinker are just phenomenal.

Their gas has got some nerve.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,641

Alistair said:
    Populist nationalism is not just a Western thing. A lot of countries and regimes are having a reaction to globalism. Even those doing well economically find the phenomenon culturally threatening, indeed possibly even more so than those on the sidelines.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

"The Daft Side of the Force is a pathway to electoral platforms some consider to be unelectable!"
  • Options
    Hopefully everyone had a nice Christmas day, did you get anything nice?
  • Options

Still sure there is no Russian influence in our elections? Will Boris ever publish the report? Perhaps not, while our parties benefit from the same techniques. You may recall that great sage Nick Timothy advocated greater control on social media propaganda. It is a shame he was not close to anyone in government who might have taken action.
  • Options

Is there a test that you can self-administer to check?

I've long thought that only Soviet-era programming could be responsible for my pizza choices.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Isn’t it Meisterkock?

Yes - Meisterkock.

And is it not just like the Germans to come up with something like that?
  • Options
    ClippPClippP Posts: 1,684

rcs1000 said:

No he fell out with Dave.
    Back in 2005 Dave offered him the shadow Work & Pensions job* but Rifkind said he would only take the shadow Foreign Secretary job so Dave said cheerio.
    *He was the incumbent remember, Michael Howard brought Rifkind back into the shadow cabinet straight after the 2005 GE.
    If I remember correctly, Sir Malcolm had support from a lot of PBC posters at the time of the Conservative leadership election.

He was lucky he was up against Cameron and not Johnson. Vindictive bastard that he is. He wouldn`t have been offered anything at all.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

"The Daft Side of the Force is a pathway to electoral platforms some consider to be unelectable!"
    Kier Skywalker, David Lammy (Solo), and Princess Long-Bailey will rescue us.
  • Options
    nunu2nunu2 Posts: 1,453

The safest Labour seat in Wales is not in the Valleys or in the old steel and coal towns. It is ...

... the affluent, University dominated Cardiff Central, which stretches from the museums & shops of the city centre to the Llanishen golf course.

Which begs the question, what is the point of the Labour party?
  • Options
    Stocky said:

I`ll never understand your prediliction for Pidcock. You seem so sensible otherwise.

It started with an interview I caught by accident a few months ago. The warmth seemed to be bubbling out of her. Then I listened and picked up wit and intelligence to go with that. Not the finished article, that was obvious, but the potential to be something special. That's what I thought then and subsequent exposure has mostly confirmed it for me. But, you know, the voters in her seat disagreed. 😕
  • Options
    MattW said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Redcar over 12% for 1)
    Mansfield @17.3% for 1
    Ashfield -18.1% for Lab.

Largest labour vote decrease.......Wentworth and Dearne? A couple of other south yourkshire seats also had massive Labour decreases. But why? I know they voted heavily Brexit but so did many other Labour Leave areas in the north and Midlands.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Redcar over 12% for 1)
    Redcar was +12.8%
    Grimsby was +12.7%
    Bassetlaw was +11.9%

Also does anyone know why Blackburn and Burnley now have totally different electoral patterns ?

It seems its really hard for the tories to win in an area that is 30% non white.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    nunu2 said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Redcar over 12% for 1)
    Redcar was +12.8%
    Grimsby was +12.7%
    Bassetlaw was +11.9%

It seems its really hard for the tories to win in an area that is 30% non white.
    Hence Labour trying to expand the franchise to non-citizens. Boundary equalisation is apparently gerrymandering, but extending the franchise to non-citizens wasn't. It's amazing how these two policies were presented by the lefty liberal media.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,782
    Omnium said:

Is there a test that you can self-administer to check?

I've long thought that only Soviet-era programming could be responsible for my pizza choices.
    Apparently you self-destruct when you realise you are the impostor
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    nunu2 said:

MattW said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Redcar over 12% for 1)
    Mansfield @17.3% for 1
    Ashfield -18.1% for Lab.

Largest labour vote decrease.......Wentworth and Dearne? A couple of other south yourkshire seats also had massive Labour decreases. But why? I know they voted heavily Brexit but so did many other Labour Leave areas in the north and Midlands.
    It was one of those seats where on paper it looks as if the incumbent was saved by a rather large Brexit party vote. Does anyone have an explanation why BRX did particularly well in a few seats?
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,541
    kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

It started with an interview I caught by accident a few months ago. The warmth seemed to be bubbling out of her. Then I listened and picked up wit and intelligence to go with that. Not the finished article, that was obvious, but the potential to be something special. That's what I thought then and subsequent exposure has mostly confirmed it for me. But, you know, the voters in her seat disagreed. 😕
    I am sure she is very nice basically, but it seemed to me that she was too old to buy the 'Never kissed a Tory', 'could never have a Tory friend', 'you vile Tory scum should all vote Labour' kind of approach. And her letter to constituents after she had lost showed scant insight into her own electors.

• Options
    alex_ said:

nunu2 said:

MattW said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Redcar over 12% for 1)
    Mansfield @17.3% for 1
    Ashfield -18.1% for Lab.

It was one of those seats where on paper it looks as if the incumbent was saved by a rather large Brexit party vote. Does anyone have an explanation why BRX did particularly well in a few seats?
    Tories wouldn't have been particularly targeting the likes of Wentworth, Doncaster North, Hemsworth and Pontefract.
    Would have been focussing on the Bolsovers, Bassetlaws, and Rother Valleys round here.
    The former required much bigger swings
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,353
    edited December 2019
    Is there a site where one can look at the declarations for GE2019 en masse? Anyone know svp? Or at least some of the most interesting results/portillo moments>. ;););)

On another matter I was reading this in the Independent that I found on the www.

Remarkable if true(as suggested)

"Almost every election since the Second World War has been characterised by two things: that the polls hardly shift during the campaign and, closely connected, that all the noise and tumult is mere background. People make their minds up years before."

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/general-election-boris-johnson-unpredictable-conservatives-majority-opposition-tactical-voting-a9238846.html
  • Options
    ByronicByronic Posts: 3,578
    The story about Jolyon Maugham bludgeoning a fox to death, while wearing his wife's oversmall kimono, is quite something. Maybe career ending.

It comes a couple of days after A C Grayling had a public meltdown and claimed ten metre tall geckos from Mars were running the planet.

It looks like the Brexychosis is entering its final florid stage as we approach Jan 31. I am worried for Ian Dunt and that Irish diplomat lady.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

The story about Jolyon Maugham bludgeoning a fox to death, while wearing his wife's oversmall kimono, is quite something. Maybe career ending.

It comes a couple of days after A C Grayling had a public meltdown and claimed ten metre tall geckos from Mars were running the planet.

It looks like the Brexychosis is entering its final florid stage as we approach Jan 31. I am worried for Ian Dunt and that Irish diplomat lady.

I’ve no time for Maugham, but given the circumstances this is just ridiculous from the RSPCA:

RSPCA looks into lawyer Jolyon Maugham's claim he killed fox with baseball bat
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-50919327

High time and long overdue they were stripped of their royal warrant and ordered to get out of politics or give up their charitable status.
  • Options

David Beckham @ Evens?
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    ydoethur said:

Byronic said:

I’ve no time for Maugham, but given the circumstances this is just ridiculous from the RSPCA:

High time and long overdue they were stripped of their royal warrant and ordered to get out of politics or give up their charitable status.
    What? That's just the RSPCA doing their job.

Maugham has quite gleefully tweeted that he smashed the fox to death with his baseball bat. Brave man. If this was some teen on a horrible estate, doing that, the lout would go straight in front of the beak, and rightly so.

Maugham didn't even call the RSPCA or a vet first, just went out there and cudgelled the poor critter to a pulp.

Yuk. Arrest him.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

Was he defending chickens? I know I should just look on Twitter but I don't think I want to.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

ydoethur said:

Byronic said:

Maugham has quite gleefully tweeted that he smashed the fox to death with his baseball bat. Brave man. If this was some teen on a horrible estate, doing that, the lout would go straight on front of the beak, and rightly so.

Maugham didn't even call the RSPCA or a vet first, just went out there and cudgelled the poor critter to a pulp.

Yuk. Arrest him.
    The RSPCA are not doing their job. They have no more powers to investigate allegations of animal cruelty than anyone else. They pretend they do but they are lying. If they are concerned they should contact the police.

And as foxes are vermin, and dangerous vermin at that, I don’t quite know what your point is. If it was trapped, technically it would be an offence to release it, believe it or not,
  • Options

Byronic said:

Was he defending chickens? I know I should just look on Twitter but I don't think I want to.
    The fox had become enmeshed in the wire surrounding his chicken coop.
  • Options

Byronic said:

He claims he was. He has chickens. But still, why smash it to death without getting advice first?

And then why gloat about it on Twitter, FFS? He has destroyed himself.

To make it worse, and even weirder, in November he tweeted about doing the exact same thing, wearing his wife's kimono and going outside with a baseball bat, hoping to crush the skull of some fox (this time he didn't find one)

So he likes to wear a lady's kimono when he brutally executes wild animals??!

• Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201

David Beckham @ Evens?

Quite, I would not take up any of those bets.
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201

Byronic said:

The Fox was stuck in the chicken wire.
  • Options

It obviously won't be a foregone conclusion as both drivers will probably finish in the top 10 in every Race.

Although, LeClerc will only get better and he has youth, stamina, energy and first choice on his side.

I think LeClerc will achieve more podium finishes, therefore 4-6 is value.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Byronic said:

ydoethur said:

Byronic said:

Maugham has quite gleefully tweeted that he smashed the fox to death with his baseball bat. Brave man. If this was some teen on a horrible estate, doing that, the lout would go straight on front of the beak, and rightly so.

Yuk. Arrest him.
    The RSPCA are not doing their job. They have no more powers to investigate allegations of animal cruelty than anyone else. They pretend they do but they are lying. If they are concerned they should contact the police.

And as foxes are vermin, and dangerous vermin at that, I don’t quite know what your point is. If it was trapped, technically it would be an offence to release it, believe it or not,

It looks, prima facie, like Maugham is in big trouble, and could easily face prosecution, and might be convicted

http://barristerblogger.com/2019/12/26/should-jolyon-maugham-be-prosecuted-for-bludgeoning-a-fox-to-death/
  • Options

Byronic said:

Difficult situation. Not sure bashing it to a pulp was the right course of action, but on the other hand I'm not sure what was.
  • Options
    Re. Rifkind, Margaret Thatcher said that he was temperamentally unsuited to the office of foreign secretary.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

ydoethur said:

Byronic said:

Maugham has quite gleefully tweeted that he smashed the fox to death with his baseball bat. Brave man. If this was some teen on a horrible estate, doing that, the lout would go straight in front of the beak, and rightly so.

Yuk. Arrest him.
    Killing foxes with a baseball bat is not specifically illegal.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Here's a golfer who got a £750 fine for hitting a fox with his golf club.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-13411219

Maugham seems to be out of touch with everyday reality in some ways, and to be somewhat self-serving. He does some shooting at his Windmill - rabbits and so on - so should have at least some knowledge.

His "necessary to minimise suffering" defence could evaporate due to the professional pest services available even in London.

Nor really sure how the "I have a baseball bat to discourage intruders" line will play, or the slightly pompous "if I want to keep chickens, I am going to keep chickens".

• Options
    edited December 2019

Byronic said:

Difficult situation. Not sure bashing it to a pulp was the right course of action, but on the other hand I'm not sure what was.
    See this,

Maugham makes a habit of donning the wifely kimono, and prowling the grounds, armed with a baseball bat, just HOPING to find a fox he can bludgeon to a pulp

https://twitter.com/MrHarryCole/status/1210231242450448384?s=20

Even if he escapes prosecution (which will look very bad, a pleb who did this would definitely get charged) then his reputation is pretty much ruined.

What possessed him to tweet about it, gloatingly?!?!

• Options
    TOPPING said:

Byronic said:

ydoethur said:

Byronic said:

Yuk. Arrest him.
    The lawyer on the blog I linked downthread believes it IS illegal, unless in exceptional circs, which probably don't apply here
  • Options
    Byronic said:

Byronic said:

He claims he was. He has chickens. But still, why smash it to death without getting advice first?

To make it worse, and even weirder, in November he tweeted about doing the exact same thing, wearing his wife's kimono and going outside with a baseball bat, hoping to crush the skull of some fox (this time he didn't find one)

You absolute twat.

Perhaps he should have formed a support group for the fox and workshopped a solution with it.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    If only Remain had put Paddington on the side of a bus......
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

You absolute twat.

Perhaps he should have formed a support group for the fox and workshopped a solution with it.
    Maugham's obvious fetish for wearing diaphonous lady nightwear while bloodily executing small mammals does throw a wild new light on his oddly trenchant support for trans rights in female toilets etc
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    TOPPING said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

You absolute twat.

Sounds like it was trapped in the wire. Why not try and cut it out?
  • Options

David Beckham @ Evens?

Quite, I would not take up any of those bets.
    Yes but Claire Balding will eventually get a damehood, not sure when though.
  • Options
    RobD said:

TOPPING said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

You absolute twat.

You're kidding right. Would you do the same for a rat?
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,949
    Byronic said:

ydoethur said:

Byronic said:

ydoethur said:

Byronic said:

Yuk. Arrest him.

It looks, prima facie, like Maugham is in big trouble, and could easily face prosecution, and might be convicted

http://barristerblogger.com/2019/12/26/should-jolyon-maugham-be-prosecuted-for-bludgeoning-a-fox-to-death/
    How are you on the right to defend your property from burglars?
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Byronic said:

ydoethur said:

Byronic said:

ydoethur said:

Byronic said:

Yuk. Arrest him.

If you read the article, it actually says the opposite. But in any case, it is looking at the wrong law. The relevant law here is the Countryside and Wildlife Act 1981, not the Hunting Act.

Admittedly, the RSPCA may do as well, because in addition to being drunken virtue signalling fascists they have the intellect of a below average moron.

The blogger is also wrong in claiming the RSPCA can interview suspects or seize items as evidence. They cannot.
  • Options
    RobD said:

TOPPING said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

You absolute twat.

Maugham has admitted he was "hungover" and also that the lady's kimono he was wearing - the one he likes to wear when attempting to take a cudgel to wild animals - was "too short".

Maybe he was too unsteady to bend over and loosen the wire, and worried he might flash the neighbours if the sexy girl's kimono came loose, so a baseball bat was just easier?

• Options
    Byronic said:

TOPPING said:

Byronic said:

ydoethur said:

Byronic said:

Yuk. Arrest him.
    The lawyer on the blog I linked downthread believes it IS illegal, unless in exceptional circs, which probably don't apply here
    No he doesn't. Read it. He says there are many mitigations for the action.
This discussion has been closed.