Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » GE2019 – the general election that the pollsters mostly got ri

Comments

• TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,749
    edited December 2019
    DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

The table brings home that the Tories got within 0.1% of Labour and the Lib Dem’s put together. A truly remarkable achievement and one that really should have produced an even bigger majority than it did.

On the pollsters I think that Yougov must be particularly disappointed. They threw a lot of resource at this election and they set the story line for a chunk of it, possibly inaccurately. I wonder if it was ever as close as they were saying it was.

The second MRP is what we will remember. After a spectacular 2017 it’s lost its magic. It also has to be said that those who claimed a Boris’s skills as a campaigner were grossly exaggerated were just wrong. He continues to reach voters few other Tories could get close to.
    Except in Scotland, despite some fairly pitiful yearning beforehand.
    That is because we are nasty nationalists , too stupid and too wee to understand his big joined up words.
    Nonsense. The SNP performance was not up to 2015 standards but it was impressive enough. It’s the strategic implications of SLABs collapse that worries me as a unionist. They were the backbone of Better Together. Although the Tories are much stronger than they were then they will never reach deep into Glasgow and it’s environs. A lot of people and territory are becoming solid SNP.
    We will be the better for it David but the last thing we need is for them to end up like Labour. We need the boil lanced sooner rather than later and then get some real Scottish opposition parties.
    The SNP performance in government wanders from poor to abysmal, education definitely being in the latter camp. They have many of the Labour faults, statist, excessive regulators, more interested in the views of appointees than their competence, very unwilling to listen or admit mistakes and with an increasing air of entitlement. It makes building a viable economy much more difficult.
    As a variation on how rubbish must you be if you were beaten by a slogan on the side of a bus argument, how crap must the SCons, SLab & SLDs be? I think we all know the answer to that.
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 23,929
    edited December 2019
    It is not just Andrew Neil who terrifies Boris. Graham Norton's questioning is also too forensic for the people's prime minister.

Norton points out: "When Boris [Johnson] was mayor [of London] I think we asked him to be on quite a lot, but he never wanted to do it."
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-45821850
  • YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172

The safest Labour seat in Wales is not in the Valleys or in the old steel and coal towns. It is ...

... the affluent, University dominated Cardiff Central, which stretches from the museums & shops of the city centre to the Llanishen golf course.
  • I hope everyone had a great Christmas.

All in all, the pollsters did pretty well. ICM and ComRes... didn’t. Also worth mentioning that they were two of the pollsters showing giant Tory leads in GE2017 only to be burned then, too. Not the finest of performances, particularly disappointing from ICM, the former “gold standard”!
  • DavidL said:

The table brings home that the Tories got within 0.1% of Labour and the Lib Dem’s put together. A truly remarkable achievement and one that really should have produced an even bigger majority than it did.

On the pollsters I think that Yougov must be particularly disappointed. They threw a lot of resource at this election and they set the story line for a chunk of it, possibly inaccurately. I wonder if it was ever as close as they were saying it was.

Actually, in vote terms the Conservatives got 1066 more votes than Labour and Lib Dem combined.

A stonking achievement, given the fractured nature of the vote.
  • It is not just Andrew Neil who terrifies Boris. Graham Norton's questioning is also too forensic for the people's prime minister.

Norton points out: "When Boris [Johnson] was mayor [of London] I think we asked him to be on quite a lot, but he never wanted to do it."

Name a frontline politician who has been interviewed by Norton. There’s probably an example somewhere but Norton’s act (although much toned down and BBC-fied since his early days) is somewhat risqué and probably not what most politicians are after in an interview.
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,674
    ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Fishing said:

Somewhat off-topic, I've noticed that the current boundaries with the present distribution of votes do not seem to advantage either the Conservatives or Labour.

If you Baxter a hypothetical result by redistributing the share of the vote between Conservatives and Labour, keeping the other parties as they are, the crossover in the number of seats occurs roughly when you allocate equal votes to each party, i.e., because the GE result is based on a Conservative lead of 12 points, to get a roughly equal number of seats, you need to assume a six point Tory-Labour swing. On the proposed boundaries, however, you need to assume a more than seven point swing to reach crossover in seats.

In other words, the new boundaries are worth a couple of percentage points in vote share to the Conservatives, cet. par.

That's because of Scotland. Formerly Labour seats now are SNP seats but the SNP will never support the Conservatives and will support Labour into office.
    We will be independent before they ever need to help Labour into office.
    Hopefully that's true, but not in the way you intend. :)

Happy boxing, day everyone!
    The political vocabulary around Scottish secession is looking pretty outdated now. By the end of 2020, Scots will be living in a fully independent country as will the English, Welsh and N Irish.
    Numpty
    Morning Malcolm, hope the turnips are thriving.

Anyway, I am off for a drive.
    Morning Ydoethur, Merry Christmas to you and enjoy your drive.

• The safest Labour seat in Wales is not in the Valleys or in the old steel and coal towns. It is ...

... the affluent, University dominated Cardiff Central, which stretches from the museums & shops of the city centre to the Llanishen golf course.

Cardiff Central was LibDem in 2010.

The safest Conservative seat in Wales is Montgomershire which was also LibDem up to 2010.

The safest Plaid seat in Wales is Ceredigion which was LibDem up to 2017.

The LibDems have really screwed up in Wales.
  • Does anyone have lists of constituencies which had:

1) Largest Conservative vote increase
    2) Largest Conservative vote decrease
    3) Larges Labour vote increase
    4) Largest Labour vote decrease
  • DavidL said:

Wasn't someone advising a bet on Xmas day ratings? Thought G&S was pretty gash myself.

https://twitter.com/superTV247/status/1210143126175784965?s=20

Edit: the full results.

https://twitter.com/superTV247/status/1210143943884705792?s=20

The only reason our TV was on yesterday was to have background Christmas songs. We had a great family day with 10 of us and games of Articulate into the evening. Best Christmas for quite a while.
    Gavin and Stacey literally the only tv show we watched yesterday.
    DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

That is because we are nasty nationalists , too stupid and too wee to understand his big joined up words.
    Nonsense. The SNP performance was not up to 2015 standards but it was impressive enough. It’s the strategic implications of SLABs collapse that worries me as a unionist. They were the backbone of Better Together. Although the Tories are much stronger than they were then they will never reach deep into Glasgow and it’s environs. A lot of people and territory are becoming solid SNP.
    We will be the better for it David but the last thing we need is for them to end up like Labour. We need the boil lanced sooner rather than later and then get some real Scottish opposition parties.
    The SNP performance in government wanders from poor to abysmal, education definitely being in the latter camp. They have many of the Labour faults, statist, excessive regulators, more interested in the views of appointees than their competence, very unwilling to listen or admit mistakes and with an increasing air of entitlement. It makes building a viable economy much more difficult.
    This seems to point to it being well exaggerated propaganda, who is right London unionists peddling their slanted view or the following

‘Only 66.9% of GCSE entrants in England got 1 or more GCSE awards compared to 86.1% in Scotland achieving 1 or more SCQF Level 5 awards.’

https://www.tes.com/news/its-guff-scottish-education-terrible

Bit like our NHS that always seems to have better results than England which is supposedly the best in the world etc
    Seems to be all part of the brain washing we get about everything in Scotland being the worst in the world and that we are the only country in the world incapable of running things. Lots of Scots believe this crap and accept the crap that we will never be able to run our own country. The London elite do a good job, best propaganda teams anywhere.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,959
    2017: People were inclined to think the best of Theresa May - despite some of the evidence.

2019: People were inclined to think the worst of Boris - beause of some of the evidence.

If however Boris should turn out to generally be a Good Egg as PM, there are plenty of voters to win back. Bad news for the LibDems - all of their literature at the end of the campaign was banging the anti-Boris drum.

The other factor in this election was the virtual absence of Con --> Labour switchers. I didn't a single one in six weeks of door-knocking.

(Thanks to all who expressed their best wishes to me on here regarding my mother. Sadly, she passed yesterday morning.)

DavidL said:

Wasn't someone advising a bet on Xmas day ratings? Thought G&S was pretty gash myself.

The only reason our TV was on yesterday was to have background Christmas songs. We had a great family day with 10 of us and games of Articulate into the evening. Best Christmas for quite a while.
    I would rather have poked my eyes out , was it as crap as I thought it would be.
  • malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

I would rather have poked my eyes out , was it as crap as I thought it would be.
    If you liked the original show, this was more of the same, with a big bag of nostalgia. If you didn’t like the original you are unlikely to like this.
  • felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    It would be nice in the future if we could have a lot less of the extrapolations from local election and by-elections than we had yet again this time - and led to the absurdity of otherwise sensible folk twittering on about Jo Swinson being PM! at least we'll be spared the Euro election nonsense for the forseeable future.
  • malcolmg said:

Take off those blue tinted specs, that is the biggest amount of bollox I have read on here in a week or so. You could have picked anyone randomly and they would have beaten Corbyn, it was pure luck.

On 30th May Opinium had the Tories on 17%.

By 12th December they had recovered to 45%.

One of the party leaders changed in the interim, and it wasn't Corbyn.

Pure luck?

I don't like Johnson any more than you do, but it is never wise to underestimate your political opponents.
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,233
    ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

It is also very striking to consider that’s the highest Tory voteshare since 1979 (43.6% vs 43.9%). In an age where there are several parties fighting for votes and the nationwide demos is fractured, that’s quite an achievement.

As for your second point, I think Yougov will reflect that their first MRP (https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2019/11/27/key-findings-our-mrp) was astonishingly accurate - they got within six seats for the Tories, ten for Labour, five for the SNP and one for the Liberal Democrats. They also got the vote shares bang on. However, they may wish to reflect on why their model when updated became less accurate. My guess would be that politically engaged people (who are the majority on YouGov’s panels) started changing their views, but the majority of voters (who are not on voting panels) did not.
    Two points.

POINT ONE. A simpler explanation would be that pollsters cannot use information from people who have already cast postal votes. By the time of the second MRP that group was larger and discarding them may have skewed the panel.
    isam said:

felix said:

Sandpit said:

DavidL said:

In fact, the Conservative Party polled not much better than in 2017: 44.7 up from 43.4%. The difference is Labour dropped a full eight points: 33.0 down from 41.0% two years ago.

The story of 2019 is not that Boris is a vote magnet. Theresa May did almost as well with just 330,000 fewer votes. It is either that Labour actively repelled voters, and I posted several times that their campaign promises were so obviously counter-productive they might almost have been designed by a Tory mole, or it is that CCHQ's under-the-radar social media campaigning was highly effective.

The full extent of that latter campaign has yet to be revealed.
    The Conservative social media campaign in the last fortnight was extensive and varied, with thousands of different messages trailed to guage responses before the last week’s onslaught.

The team behind it included several that had been involved in Vote Leave, and what’s absolutely certain is that almost none of the messages were targeted at people living in London, engaged in politics and with Twitter accounts - so the Commentariat won’t have had a clue what was actually happening in the rest of the country.
    You are right that the pundits did not have a clue what was being said up north on social media, and nor did political opponents. This imo is dangerous for democracy because there can be no debate. Plaid Cymru cannot deny it plans to outlaw the English language if it does not even realise the allegation is being made.

And what little we have been told is that untrue claims were being made.
    I agree it was very striking just like all the crap about queues in Battersea on polling day while ignoring the rest of the country. Second biggest losers on the day were the metropolitan chatterati who continue to arrogantly sneer at the rest of the country and were given a well deserved kicking for their pains.
    Lefty remainers drooling over lefty remainers taking pictures of loads of people who agree with them both and plastering them all over social media, while the conservative leavers just voted and went home....
    ...and then posted on here incessantly (sorry, couldn't resist it)
  • Mr. Divvie, cheers (although boo and also hiss to Gavin and Stacey winning).
  • It is not just Andrew Neil who terrifies Boris. Graham Norton's questioning is also too forensic for the people's prime minister.

Name a frontline politician who has been interviewed by Norton. There’s probably an example somewhere but Norton’s act (although much toned down and BBC-fied since his early days) is somewhat risqué and probably not what most politicians are after in an interview.
    Read the linked article. Harriet Harman is named. Ironically, Norton himself says politicians should be quizzed on proper news and current affairs programmes.
  • FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

2017: People were inclined to think the best of Theresa May - despite some of the evidence.

2019: People were inclined to think the worst of Boris - beause of some of the evidence.

If however Boris should turn out to generally be a Good Egg as PM, there are plenty of voters to win back. Bad news for the LibDems - all of their literature at the end of the campaign was banging the anti-Boris drum.

The other factor in this election was the virtual absence of Con --> Labour switchers. I didn't a single one in six weeks of door-knocking.

(Thanks to all who expressed their best wishes to me on here regarding my mother. Sadly, she passed yesterday morning.)

Sorry to hear that Mark

My condolences
  • ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,922

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

https://twitter.com/superTV247/status/1210143126175784965?s=2

If you liked the original show, this was more of the same, with a big bag of nostalgia. If you didn’t like the original you are unlikely to like this.
    All-encompassing aversion to James Corden means I’ve never been able to go anywhere near it.
  • isamisam Posts: 40,731
    felix said:

It would be nice in the future if we could have a lot less of the extrapolations from local election and by-elections than we had yet again this time - and led to the absurdity of otherwise sensible folk twittering on about Jo Swinson being PM! at least we'll be spared the Euro election nonsense for the forseeable future.

The cherry on the absurdity cake was the fact she didn't even win the Euro Elections!
  • malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

It was a musical evening for us. The Magic Flute followed by Ron Howard's excellent Beatles documentary.
  • isamisam Posts: 40,731

Condolences Mark
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,047

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

The second MRP is what we will remember. After a spectacular 2017 it’s lost its magic. It also has to be said that those who claimed a Boris’s skills as a campaigner were grossly exaggerated were just wrong. He continues to reach voters few other Tories could get close to.
    As a variation on how rubbish must you be if you were beaten by a slogan on the side of a bus argument, how crap must the SCons, SLab & SLDs be? I think we all know the answer to that.
    He wasn't accusing them of being poor campaigners.
    ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

...they may wish to reflect on why their model when updated became less accurate. My guess would be that politically engaged people (who are the majority on their panels)...
    Two points

POINT TWO: I'm not sure that politically engaged people do make up the majority of YouGov panels (especially since they've adopted techniques to try to obviate this). Can you tell me what is the percentage of politically engaged people is on YouGov panels pleas, and cite a source?

I am deeply sorry to hear that. And very sad to hear about all the PBers who are enduring loss or illness at the moment. Very best wishes to all.
  • isam said:

felix said:

The cherry on the absurdity cake was the fact she didn't even win the Euro Elections!
    The cherry on the wishful thinking cake was PB lefties believing that the Independent gains in the local elections was evidence of support for leftwing parties rather than populism.
    Floater said:

Sorry to hear that Mark

My condolences
    Oh, arse. Sorry to hear that, @MarqueeMark . Go away and do what you need to do: we'll still be here when you get back.
  • squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,287

Very sorry to hear that MM, May she rest in peace.

DavidL said:

We watched the programme about the Beatles> it was very interesting.
    malcolmg said:

This seems to point to it being well exaggerated propaganda, who is right London unionists peddling their slanted view or the following

‘Only 66.9% of GCSE entrants in England got 1 or more GCSE awards compared to 86.1% in Scotland achieving 1 or more SCQF Level 5 awards.’

Bit like our NHS that always seems to have better results than England which is supposedly the best in the world etc
    Seems to be all part of the brain washing we get about everything in Scotland being the worst in the world and that we are the only country in the world incapable of running things. Lots of Scots believe this crap and accept the crap that we will never be able to run our own country. The London elite do a good job, best propaganda teams anywhere.

It was Alex Salmond who called Scotland a nation of drunks. It is Nicola Sturgeon who said that because she was Scottish she had to be twice as good as everyone else. The people with hang ups and feelings of inadequacy about Scotland are on your side. The unionist Scots I've met are extremely proud of Scotland, love being Scottish, and are comfortable with both Scottish and British identities. Everyone I've met who wants to leave the UK (and I'm lucky to call several friends) are the most negative about Scotland and Scots, and the least comfortable with how they feel they are perceived. That's what indy runs on.

• He wasn't accusing them of being poor campaigners.

Since the campaign against them (aside from the standard & laughably ineffective No to Indyref II from the SCons) was almost entirely based on their government performance, perhaps the SNP record isn't quite as bad as you think, unless you believe the Scotch electorate are easily gulled emptyheads?

Still, SCon, SLab & SLD campaigning AND policies, lol!
  • 2017: People were inclined to think the best of Theresa May - despite some of the evidence.

Oh, Mark, I'm so sorry to hear that. Best wishes to you.
  • Mr. Mark, I'm sorry to hear that, my deepest condolences to you.

DavidL said:

Did you not see "Call The Midwife"? It had many Scottish people. You could tell they were Scottish people because they were very pale with glossy copper curls and being seduced by Sassenach decadent ways. I'm sure @malcolmg can attest to the accuracy of such a portrayal... :)
  • Re the voters queuing I believe the photo was of Brixton rather than Battersea.

Now if we look at the actual results in the Brixton area:

Vauxhall
    Labour -1.2%
    Turnout -3.5%

Streatham
    Labour -13.7%
    Turnout -4.3%

Dulwich & West Norwood
    Labour -4.2%
    Turnout -2.6%

It shows that the actual results didn't even match the 'youthquake' claims even there.

Since the campaign against them (aside from the standard & laughably ineffective No to Indyref II from the SCons) was almost entirely based on their government performance, perhaps the SNP record isn't quite as bad as you think, unless you believe the Scotch electorate are easily gulled emptyheads?

I think we're all capable of being empty-headed and easily gulled. It must be utterly exhausting never to have a discussion like this where you're not passively aggressively trying to illicit or suppose anti-Scottish comments or sentiments from unionists and or English posters.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,772
    edited December 2019

DavidL said:

Actually, in vote terms the Conservatives got 1066 more votes than Labour and Lib Dem combined.

A stonking achievement, given the fractured nature of the vote.
    1066? That has to be one in the eye for them.
  • MattWMattW Posts: 18,093
    Ooooer. It'll be lonely this Christmas for Ms Reynard, thanks to Great Jumping Jolyon:

https://twitter.com/JolyonMaugham/status/1210110735189233665

Really sorry to hear that. A few years ago my mum collapsed on Christmas Eve and never really gained consciousness before dying in January. Always on mind at Christmas
    Looking way too easy for SA atm.
  • Re the voters queuing I believe the photo was of Brixton rather than Battersea.

Vauxhall
    Labour -1.2%
    Turnout -3.5%

Streatham
    Labour -13.7%
    Turnout -4.3%

Dulwich & West Norwood
    Labour -4.2%
    Turnout -2.6%

It shows that the actual results didn't even match the 'youthquake' claims even there.

There were queues at polling stations. Whether that was because there were not so many staff inside as in previous years, or people voting in a smaller time window or for some other reason, I do not know, but we saw the photos and I spoke to people on the day who had had to queue.

DavidL said:

I have never watched Gavin and Stacey. It just doesn’t appeal at all.

Vauxhall
    Labour -1.2%
    Turnout -3.5%

Streatham
    Labour -13.7%
    Turnout -4.3%

Dulwich & West Norwood
    Labour -4.2%
    Turnout -2.6%

What hasn't been mentioned in the media is how crap Labour did in many parts of Outer London:

Brent N -11.0%
    Hayes -10.7%
    Ealing N -9.5%
    Erith -9.5%
    Southall -9.4%
    Feltham -9.2%
    Croydon N -8.5%
    Brent C -8.4%
    Harrow W -8.4%

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

Cheers, I was not a fan of the original , dislike Corden especially and the welsh guy so I think I will not be watching.

• He wasn't accusing them of being poor campaigners.

I think we're all capable of being empty-headed and easily gulled. It must be utterly exhausting never to have a discussion like this where you're not passively aggressively trying to illicit or suppose anti-Scottish comments or sentiments from unionists and or English posters.
    What complicated wee fantasies you weave for yoursel. Must be utterly exhausting.

Re the voters queuing I believe the photo was of Brixton rather than Battersea.

Vauxhall
    Labour -1.2%
    Turnout -3.5%

Streatham
    Labour -13.7%
    Turnout -4.3%

Dulwich & West Norwood
    Labour -4.2%
    Turnout -2.6%

What hasn't been mentioned in the media is how crap Labour did in many parts of Outer London:

Brent N -11.0%
    Hayes -10.7%
    Ealing N -9.5%
    Erith -9.5%
    Southall -9.4%
    Feltham -9.2%
    Croydon N -8.5%
    Brent C -8.4%
    Harrow W -8.4%
    Same areas that won Boris the Mayoralty.

Vauxhall
    Labour -1.2%
    Turnout -3.5%

Streatham
    Labour -13.7%
    Turnout -4.3%

Dulwich & West Norwood
    Labour -4.2%
    Turnout -2.6%

There were queues at polling stations. Whether that was because there were not so many staff inside as in previous years, or people voting in a smaller time window or for some other reason, I do not know, but we saw the photos and I spoke to people on the day who had had to queue.
    I suspect that there have always been queues at some polling stations for various reasons but the difference now is that its easier to publish images of it.
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

It is also very striking to consider that’s the highest Tory voteshare since 1979 (43.6% vs 43.9%). In an age where there are several parties fighting for votes and the nationwide demos is fractured, that’s quite an achievement.

As for your second point, I think Yougov will reflect that their first MRP (https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2019/11/27/key-findings-our-mrp) was astonishingly accurate - they got within six seats for the Tories, ten for Labour, five for the SNP and one for the Liberal Democrats. They also got the vote shares bang on. However, they may wish to reflect on why their model when updated became less accurate. My guess would be that politically engaged people (who are the majority on YouGov’s panels) started changing their views, but the majority of voters (who are not on voting panels) did not.
    In 2017 the first MRP issued was more accurate than the eve of poll MRP.

In 2017 its accuracy was remebered because it was going against the general polling.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,851

I watched a documentary about the last days of Elvis. How he was essentially worked to death by the people he was making money for, and was neglected by those who could have saved him. Great Christmas viewing.

You have to search fairly hard on here for positive Scottish comments outside a few people and the couple of independent thinking Scots. The constant prejorative use of "separists" and "secessionists" says it all, coupled with all the emigrant Scots like Carlotta , Harry etc who just cannot run down Scotland enough. We have little need to search for anti - Scottish rhetoric unfortunately. Unfortunately despite the fact we are scrounging losers , UK does not seem to want us to have a democratic vote on whether we wish to remain in a "Union of Equals".
  • Re queues: were there any stories this year of massive queues in the evening with people not being able to vote? I’m sure that there were examples of that in the past.
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

You have some good taste then David.
  • DavidL said:

Vauxhall
    Labour -1.2%
    Turnout -3.5%

Streatham
    Labour -13.7%
    Turnout -4.3%

Dulwich & West Norwood
    Labour -4.2%
    Turnout -2.6%

Brent N -11.0%
    Hayes -10.7%
    Ealing N -9.5%
    Erith -9.5%
    Southall -9.4%
    Feltham -9.2%
    Croydon N -8.5%
    Brent C -8.4%
    Harrow W -8.4%
    Same areas that won Boris the Mayoralty.
    In London there was likely a swing away from the Conservatives among middle class white voters in Inner London and a swing to the Conservatives among working class non-white voters in Outer London.

The media view is of course dominated by the opinions and experiences of the first group.

Does anyone have lists of constituencies which had:

I formative to see that in absolute as well as vote share terms.

As I understand it the majority of seats the tories took from labour the turnout was down.
    malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

My SNP supporting devil gave me 2 books for Christmas. The first is Rory Stewart’s “The Marches” which I am very much looking forward to. The second was The Communist Manifesto. He has a wicked sense of humour. Bit like yourself I think in that he supports independence but is not quite so sure about the SNP (whilst recognising that they are an essential means to an end).
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Same here.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941

Vauxhall
    Labour -1.2%
    Turnout -3.5%

Streatham
    Labour -13.7%
    Turnout -4.3%

Dulwich & West Norwood
    Labour -4.2%
    Turnout -2.6%

Most likely a combination of it being dark in the evening, and that it was forecast to rain.
  • RobD said:

Vauxhall
    Labour -1.2%
    Turnout -3.5%

Streatham
    Labour -13.7%
    Turnout -4.3%

Dulwich & West Norwood
    Labour -4.2%
    Turnout -2.6%

Most likely a combination of it being dark in the evening, and that it was forecast to rain.
    Plus other commitments to office parties, carol services and late night shopping.

DavidL said:

We watched the programme about the Beatles> it was very interesting.
    I watched the documentary about Dolly Parton. Remarkably, she has been married to the same guy for over fifty years. He has no public profile whatsoever.
    DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

My SNP supporting devil gave me 2 books for Christmas. The first is Rory Stewart’s “The Marches” which I am very much looking forward to. The second was The Communist Manifesto. He has a wicked sense of humour. Bit like yourself I think in that he supports independence but is not quite so sure about the SNP (whilst recognising that they are an essential means to an end).
    Let me guess. The copy of the Communist Manifesto was published by a limited company publishing house and was purchased in competition with many other political manifestos via a widely-advertised market structure using a freely-floating currency.
  • OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,688
    malcolmg said:

You have to search fairly hard on here for positive Scottish comments outside a few people and the couple of independent thinking Scots. The constant prejorative use of "separists" and "secessionists" says it all, coupled with all the emigrant Scots like Carlotta , Harry etc who just cannot run down Scotland enough. We have little need to search for anti - Scottish rhetoric unfortunately. Unfortunately despite the fact we are scrounging losers , UK does not seem to want us to have a democratic vote on whether we wish to remain in a "Union of Equals".
    Scotland is a fantastic place. The Scottish people are fantastic too.

(That help?)
    DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Sounds like interesting reading for you.
    Anyhoo. After an awkward discussion with my parent yesterday (who was impressed by Boris's pledge to prevent houses being sold to pay for care), I now have just had an awkward conversation with my disabled sibling who cannot understand how anybody can vote for that "fat blonde turd". Plus they haven't got a subscription to Sky Premiere so I can't see Avengers: Endgame. I hate all politicians... :)
    Omnium said:

malcolmg said:

(That help?)
    It does indeed and i have to say I think the same about England and the English, though would have to say would not be 100% in both cases, we both have our unsavoury characters but a very small minority thankfully.
    viewcode said:

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Let me guess. The copy of the Communist Manifesto was published by a limited company publishing house and was purchased in competition with many other political manifestos via a widely-advertised market structure using a freely-floating currency.
    Ah, I see you are opposed to the system yet you live within the system. I am very wise.
  • FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Same here.
    And here
    How thick are they.
    edited December 2019
    Floater said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Same here.
    And here
    and here.

I treated myself to an ultra hd tv for xmas, SkyQ(reduced to 6.50 for 18 months) et all. Its the test match in SA..

Worth every penny.

What complicated wee fantasies you weave for yoursel. Must be utterly exhausting.
    Ok, stay on campaign mode then.
  • Opinion polls are awesome up until they aren't.

For me what is interesting is that a lot of pollsters using differing methodologies got the same accurate result.
  • StockyStocky Posts: 9,653

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Same here.
    Same here. It`s got James Corden in it.
    Omnium said:

malcolmg said:

(That help?)
    Well said. For me, it is Britain's best. The contribution of Scots to literature, music, science, art, architecture, industry, is utterly irreplaceable. Scotland defines punching above its weight. I have always seen myself as British over English (though I am proud to be English), and there is little point in pretending that all guff about oil revenues and the Barnet formula aside, the Union would be incalculably poorer without Scotland.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,758
    viewcode said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

...they may wish to reflect on why their model when updated became less accurate. My guess would be that politically engaged people (who are the majority on their panels)...
    Two points

POINT TWO: I'm not sure that politically engaged people do make up the majority of YouGov panels (especially since they've adopted techniques to try to obviate this). Can you tell me what is the percentage of politically engaged people is on YouGov panels pleas, and cite a source?
    The issues with internet sampling are discussed here (albeit from an American perspective):

https://www.surveypractice.org/article/2771-characteristics-of-the-population-of-internet-panel-members

The figures you ask for, including a pretty frank discussion of possible issues, are here:

https://www.britishelectionstudy.com/bes-resources/how-fresh-is-the-british-election-study-internet-panel/#.XgS4cy-nyf1
    Alistair said:

viewcode said:

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Ah, I see you are opposed to the system yet you live within the system. I am very wise.
    If think you may have mixed my reply up with the OP
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,069
    Sorry to hear your news @MarqueeMark , my condolences.

A few points:

1) Was this really a strong campaign? The result at the end was very much the polling picture at the beginning. It may well be that all the activity is nessecary, but the reality is a war of attrition. Indeed this is the pattern of most campaigns, with the 2017 being a notable exception. We started and ended pretty much where we began.

2) A supplement to this is that the first YouGov MRP was more accurate than the second, as people get lost in the fog. It is in the interests of all parties and media to talk up the contest as close. The first MRP was also at the time of postal voting, which was higher than ever.

3) The Tory party didn't get many converts, it was the 3 million lost by Jezza that produced the result, lost to LD, SNP and mostly to DNV.

4) The result under FPTP is decisive, so Brexit will happen, but there is no evidence that underlying opinion has changed. This does not bode well for national unity if things get rocky.

5) It looks like I am not the only one puzzled at the country's enthusiasm for James Corden. His appeal is lost on me.

malcolmg said:

How thick are they.
    I think it would be great!
    edited December 2019
    @MarqueeMark

Deepest sympathy. My mother died at Christmastime some years ago and like you, I never got a chance to see her. So I have a fair idea of how you’re feeling right now, and it sucks.
    England are too prudish.

They can’t get de Kock out.
  • ydoethur said:

England are too prudish.

Looking for great things from you with Philander.

ydoethur said:

England are too prudish.

Looking for great things from you with Philander.
    I tend not to philander in public.

Omnium said:

malcolmg said:

(That help?)
    Well said. For me, it is Britain's best. The contribution of Scots to literature, music, science, art, architecture, industry, is utterly irreplaceable. Scotland defines punching above its weight. I have always seen myself as British over English (though I am proud to be English), and there is little point in pretending that all guff about oil revenues and the Barnet formula aside, the Union would be incalculably poorer without Scotland.
    Precisely.
    It was Ron Davies who had an unhealthy interest in badgers.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842
    edited December 2019

1 & 4 possibly Bassetlaw ?

Are you going on absolute votes or %

Redcar over 12% for 1)
  • StockyStocky Posts: 9,653
    edited December 2019
    Foxy said:

A few points:

1) Was this really a strong campaign? The result at the end was very much the polling picture at the beginning. It may well be that all the activity is nessecary, but the reality is a war of attrition. Indeed this is the pattern of most campaigns, with the 2017 being a notable exception. We started and ended pretty much where we began.

2) A supplement to this is that the first YouGov MRP was more accurate than the second, as people get lost in the fog. It is in the interests of all parties and media to talk up the contest as close. The first MRP was also at the time of postal voting, which was higher than ever.

3) The Tory party didn't get many converts, it was the 3 million lost by Jezza that produced the result, lost to LD, SNP and mostly to DNV.

4) The result under FPTP is decisive, so Brexit will happen, but there is no evidence that underlying opinion has changed. This does not bode well for national unity if things get rocky.

5) It looks like I am not the only one puzzled at the country's enthusiasm for James Corden. His appeal is lost on me.

re: 5)

James Cordon is one of a few celebrities who are immensely popular, yet I find unexceptional at best.

It can be uncomfortable to go against the crowd but I am emboldened by the fact that folk I know whose taste I don`t particularly admire love Corden and others that make me recoil, such as: Michael McIntyre, Peter Kay, Graham Norton and anything to do with Strictly Come Dancing.
    You know the one thing I think I may recall of 2019 is not all the Brexit kerfuffle. I think it's more that 'Bercow' should never have been 'one across' in the crossword.

He may get all sorts of honours and the like - but top billing in the PB Xmas crossword!?

(I have little recollection of previous 'one across' accolades, but please do enlighten me if you happen to know)
  • malcolmg said:

The 66.9% figure for GCSE entrants achieving 1 or more GCSEs is wrong. Having followed the links to get to the source, that is a completely different figure which someone posting on talkingupscotlandtwo.com has misunderstood. I can't find a figure for the number who get 1 or more GCSE awards but 82% achieve 5 or more GCSEs at grade 4 or above (equivalent to a C in the old system).

However, as I understand it SCQF Level 5 is broadly equivalent to A-level so I'm not sure why the poster wants to compare it with GCSE results. The A-level pass rate in England is 97.5%.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842
    Pulpstar said:

Redcar over 12% for 1)
    Mansfield @17.3% for 1

malcolmg said:

How thick are they.
    I think it would be great!
    I would be great , but to infer it keeps the union going is just fantasy.
    Stocky said:

Foxy said:

A few points:

James Cordon is one of a few celebrities who are immensely popular, yet I find unexceptional at best.

It can be uncomfortable to go against the crowd but I am emboldened by the fact that folk I know whose taste I don`t particularly admire love Corden and others that make me recoil, such as: Michael McIntyre, Peter Kay, Graham Norton and anything to do with Strictly Come Dancing.
    I am with you Stocky , hate every one of those listed especially Corden.
  • another_richardanother_richard Posts: 24,967
    edited December 2019
    Pulpstar said:

3) Largest Labour vote increase

Redcar over 12% for 1)
    Redcar was +12.8%
    Grimsby was +12.7%
    Bassetlaw was +11.9%

but Mansfield was +17.3%, Walsall North was +14.2% and Stoke South was +13.1%.

All three were Conservative gains in 2017.

If the Conservatives gains of 2019 have similar patterns ...

Also does anyone know why Blackburn and Burnley now have totally different electoral patterns ?

Omnium said:

You know the one thing I think I may recall of 2019 is not all the Brexit kerfuffle. I think it's more that 'Bercow' should never have been 'one across' in the crossword.

He may get all sorts of honours and the like - but top billing in the PB Xmas crossword!?

(I have little recollection of previous 'one across' accolades, but please do enlighten me if you happen to know)

That is petty , he saved parliamentary democracy from the nasty Tories. He should be enobled forthwith.
  • Stocky said:

Foxy said:

A few points:

I saw One Man Two Guvnors with him in and he was brilliant. Not so convinced by his TV work though.
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,263
    edited December 2019
    Watched the French art movie "I lost my body" at Christmas (Netflix) with family. Reviews are wonderful. The 30-year-old thought it was pretty good, the 60-year-old thought it was OK, the 69 (me) and 90 year old thought it made no sense at all.

Anither bloody generation gap. Do other people like it?
This discussion has been closed.