Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Whichever party wins UK general elections one thing in British

Comments

• Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,002

HYUFD said:
    She might be changing her tune when she starts to see how expensive it is to live in London..also worth pointing out, once tax is deducted, its only £20k she's giving up.

But fair play to her.
    Dave Nellist, when MP for one of the Coventry seats did something, as I recall.
  • Options
    Alistair said:
    Yes it did, the Tories did best by far of all the unionist parties in Scotland.
  • Options

Alistair said:
    'Best by far' is not saying a lot though, is it.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,930
    edited December 2019

HYUFD said:
    Did he say where these doorsteps were ?
    Jehova's Witnesses on Adonis' doorstep, saying anything to get away
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Boris Johnson once again casually betraying those who relied on his word:

https://twitter.com/AdamBienkov/status/1206825958797463552

That's absolutely pathetic. He made compromises to the Opposition if they helped get his deal through before Halloween. They didn't, so we had an election. He's won a majority in the election so no longer needs the Opposition.

If the Opposition MPs wanted their compromises to be in the legislation they should have ensured the legislation went through instead of frustrating it and seeing an election instead.
    Boris Johnson pulled his own bill, it had been voted through.
    Its only voted through once its gotten through to Third Reading. The timetable motion that would have allowed that to be possible was rejected so they made their bed. Any compromises offered to get it through in time for Halloween have now lapsed and no compromises are necessary now because he has a majority now.

If someone offers you something for your support and you reject that offer then you don't claim some moral right to that offer if they later no longer need your support anymore. Shouldn't have spurned the offer when it was made originally.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    HYUFD said:
    He's not going to lose many votes by that.

Give each country of the Union a quarter of the elected seats. That should take the wheels off the SNP's grievance bus.
  • Options

Alistair said:
    'Best by far' is not saying a lot though, is it.
    Considering the political history in Scotland I think it says a lot. Who would have thought a decade ago there'd be far more Tory MPs than Labour ones now in Scotland?
  • Options

Good morning

This conservative is not grumpy and delighted the ordinary people rose up against the elite and those wanting to stop the democratic vote to leave, even though I voted remain

And judging by the posts this morning, so many are still fighting the lost battle to remain or are actively hoping the country fails

I am made of sterner stuff and see a promising future and am not the least negative

Have a good day folks

Rose up against the elite and voted for Boris Johnson. Eton, Oxford, Bullingdon Club.

I keep telling yer, Boris's brilliance is being seen as an anti-politician in an age of anti-politics.....
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

I'm curious at Labours denial phase where Blair is still persona non grata but Corbyn is the Boss because theres some who are stressing its important to reflect and not rush to some simplistic analysis of why they lost which blames the leader...while simultaneously being very immediately confident it was all to do with Brexit and Saint Jeremy is fantastic.

Its actually impressive how the praetorian guard of his support does not appear shaken in the slightest despite the result.

Oh come, it completely natural at this stage to defend their wounded leader.
    Which was why Corbyn should have said ' I was crap, I was wrong, I resign, work out something new and different', rather than 'One more heave Comrades!'

The cult will continue.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,631
    edited December 2019

HYUFD said:

Give each country of the Union a quarter of the elected seats. That should take the wheels off the SNP's grievance bus.
    If he were to allow such a reformulated House any significant powers, it would also probably take the wheels off all of the government's get things done quickly programmes.

Doesn't sound very Johnsonian.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,797
    HYUFD said:
    It's an area that needs very careful consideration. Usually what happens is the Lords frustrates the government and various mps and pundits rant that its time to get rid. So a review is good, but if this is just because hes angry at the Lords that will become apparent soon.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

I'm curious at Labours denial phase where Blair is still persona non grata but Corbyn is the Boss because theres some who are stressing its important to reflect and not rush to some simplistic analysis of why they lost which blames the leader...while simultaneously being very immediately confident it was all to do with Brexit and Saint Jeremy is fantastic.

Its actually impressive how the praetorian guard of his support does not appear shaken in the slightest despite the result.

Oh come, it completely natural at this stage to defend their wounded leader.
    I'd expect some of that, but usually when a leader fails, and fails so hugely, some people snap awake from the dream they were peddling. The only people angry at him seem to be the usual suspects.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Give each county of the Union elected seats.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

alex_ said:

Good morning

This conservative is not grumpy and delighted the ordinary people rose up against the elite and those wanting to stop the democratic vote to leave, even though I voted remain

And judging by the posts this morning, so many are still fighting the lost battle to remain or are actively hoping the country fails

I am made of sterner stuff and see a promising future and am not the least negative

Have a good day folks

There was a time when you quit the Tory Party over a threat to leave the EU without a trade deal in place. Has your son got a new job?

Airbus has committed to the UK no matter what happens to the negotiations and if you check all the constituencies around the Airbus North Wales factory turned blue apart from Alyn and Deeside which was held by labour with a 213 majority

It is time for everyone to accept Brexit is happening or just be in a permanent state of depression
    Who doesn't accept that Brexit is happening ?

Tories seem to have adopted the strange idea that because they won an election, anything they do is now beyond criticism.
    Our opponents seem to have adopted the strange idea that because we won an election, anything we do in our manifesto has no authority.

It will serve you well no doubt for the next five years.

And the next five.

And the next five......
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    She might have under calculated what she needs from that salary so will need to claim lots of expenses, but it's a nice thought. Though I'm not against MPs getting a good salary as a rule.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,359
    edited December 2019

HYUFD said:
    She might be changing her tune when she starts to see how expensive it is to live in London..also worth pointing out, once tax is deducted, its only £20k she's giving up.

But fair play to her.
    Dave Nellist, when MP for one of the Coventry seats did something, as I recall.
    another nasty piece of work, a right on Trotskyist who "hid" within the Labour Party
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969
    edited December 2019
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

If he were to allow such a reformulated House any significant powers, it would also probably take the wheels off all of the government's get things done quickly programmes.

Doesn't sound very Johnsonian.
    They could block, reformulate, propose. But only for one year. And not then, if that Government legislation implements a manifesto commitment (whch would lead to more detailed manifestos).
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913
    edited December 2019

alex_ said:

Good morning

Have a good day folks

There was a time when you quit the Tory Party over a threat to leave the EU without a trade deal in place. Has your son got a new job?

Airbus has committed to the UK no matter what happens to the negotiations and if you check all the constituencies around the Airbus North Wales factory turned blue apart from Alyn and Deeside which was held by labour with a 213 majority

It is time for everyone to accept Brexit is happening or just be in a permanent state of depression
    It's quite possible for people to accept Brexit is happening and still believe it is a mistake. If Johnson No Deals then I will be looking straight at people like you Big G!

I think you also make the mistake of believing that the landslide in seats reflects what people actually voted for.

It is what it is thanks to our electoral system but it does not change the fact that the Tory vote barely increased and the Tories/BXP were comfortably outpolled by Labour/LDs/Nats

• Options
  • Options

isam said:

nichomar said:

IanB2 said:

The markets are clearly going through the same thought process; having risen to $1.35 after the exit poll, the £ has quickly sunk back to about $1.325

Since Thursday night
    I'm sure he can live without your support.
    Is it just me, or are the people on here whose side won the election in a worse mood than those who lost? Come on PB Tories, you now have everything you ever dreamed of - an opportunity to deliver the kind of Brexit you know will be a great success for the whole UK, a big Tory majority to reshape the country every way you want, and a strong leader who has united the party and won over erstwhile Labour supporters with promises that he can surely deliver. Why so grumpy?
    It's just you. The people who lost are following the predictable path of forecasting doom because the public didn't agree with them.
    I don't know about forecasting doom. Forecasting the economic outlook is a big part of my job, so I do my best to separate out my personal views and come to an objective forecast. It is quite hard to escape the conclusion that the next couple of years are likely to be challenging for the UK economy, indeed we may already be in recession if the PMI surveys are a guide.
    I totally accept the public have chosen Brexit and trust Boris Johnson to deliver it effectively. I disagree with that choice and think their trust is misplaced. But to be honest the fact that I no longer feel the decision can be stopped has lifted a great weight from my shoulders. I always felt that letting Brexit happen would be really wrong, but trying to overturn a democratic choice was also wrong. On balance I thought it was still best to try to stop the country making this mistake, but it was a painful dilemma.
    Now that dilemma is over. My first focus is on protecting my own family from the pain that will come. At work I will try to provide objective analysis of how it will end up. And on here I will comment on how I think it is going.
    Obviously, I too accept that nothing more can be done to stop this insanity. I tried my damnedest, joining and becoming active in the Lib Dems (and helping to achieve a 7.4% swing in my constituency!), but it wasn't enough. We failed, and the best we can do now is to try to mitigate the adverse effects of Brexit which, sadly, will fall disproportionally on the poor and needy.

From a personal point of view, though, Brexit should be good for my son, given that he has both UK and German passports and therefore still has his freedom of movement. It will be a useful advantage for him in the future.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,285

Nigelb said:

alex_ said:

Good morning

Have a good day folks

Tories seem to have adopted the strange idea that because they won an election, anything they do is now beyond criticism.
    Our opponents seem to have adopted the strange idea that because we won an election, anything we do in our manifesto has no authority.

And the next five.

And the next five......
    Was there much in the manifesto?
  • Options
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,449

Morning all and on thread, I suppose the old adage applies, "if it an't broke, don't fix it"! As a Glasgow graduate I have no view on whether a PM should be an Oxford graduate or not.

On Labour leadership, Boris will think all his Christmases have come at once if Labour elects Rebecca Long-Bailey as leader and Richard Burgon as her deputy. The film title "Dumb and Dumber" comes to mind although "Thicko and extremely Thicko" might be more appropriate. The one good thing for British politics occasioned by their election would hopefully be the remaining moderately centre-left Labour MPs would join up with the rump of the LibDems and create an SDP Mark II which could then become the main opposition and begin to hold Boris' government to account. Sadly if that does not happen then realistically the SNP will be the official opposition in all but name.

If RLB gets elected, I do wonder if she will still be in post by the time the next election comes along. Four more opportunities to lose local councillors before then. If the public takes to her as badly as I suspect they will, then.....

Long-Drop beckons.
    I must admit, I've seen relatively little of RLB, but surely, surely she can't be as bad as Jeremy. However dim-witted, however crazily left-wing, she at least won't have his history of supporting the IRA, of supporting Hamas, of acting as a mouthpiece for Russia and Iran. That alone must be worth a couple of dozen seats at least.
  • Options
    RobD said:
    Far too many politicians who went to crap unis ;-)
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,003

Remind me again about Wallonia.

Their Grève du Siècle in 1961 was a tremendous act of working class resistance to austerity.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Nigelb said:

alex_ said:

Good morning

Have a good day folks

And the next five.

And the next five......
    Not extending the transition period was in the manifesto. So all the faux shock and horror that the Tory manifesto pledge is being honoured is a bit . . . strange.
  • Options
    A quick fiddle with the constitutional arrangement to thwart Scottish nationalism worked really well last time.
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819
    Seems odd that Boris is passing this law. It is after he alone who will decide whether we extend or not. If he decides to go back on his word he will, but of course he has repeatedly said he won't and in reality I think he will take whatever bare bones agreement he can to mitigate damage and move on. His reasoning will probably be that he has the time to ride out any economic fallout.

However, as much as it pains me to say it, many of us underestimated his ability to get a deal before, indeed the LDs whole strategy was based on Boris taking the party in a no deal direction hence Revoke. He will probably come away with a deal that will sacrifice the groups least important to his electoral coalition (much like he did with the DUP for the WA). Fishermen seem the least unimportant electorally given the SNP took Scotland, and it's an area of true leverage for the UK, with the EU very interested in fishing rights.

He can also afford to throw London under the bus given its very much labour and the South East seats don't seem likely to change hands anytime soon so expect to sign up to whatever requirements the EU demands to keep London from outcompeting EU capitals.

Concessions in those two areas should help him get the kind of deal he wants in other aspects.
  • Options

A quick fiddle with the constitutional arrangement to thwart Scottish nationalism worked really well last time.

It won’t work.

The only thing that will is taking the SNP head on.

If I were Boris I’d go for full-on attack of the SNP record in governing Scotland day-in day-out for all of the next year, and highlighting what an alternative administration could offer. Take it off their turf.

Yes, they’ll probably get 40-45% of the vote in any event, but this needs to be about denying them (plus the SGreens) a majority in 2021.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    Faced with the electorate's distrust of Jeremy Corbyn, & a divided Labour Party, Jo Swinson saw an open goal and missed.

Am surprised that Cable and Swinson failed to take advantage of Corbyn's abysmal leadership.
  • Options
    alteregoalterego Posts: 1,100
    dr_spyn said:

Faced with the electorate's distrust of Jeremy Corbyn, & a divided Labour Party, Jo Swinson saw an open goal and missed.

Am surprised that Cable and Swinson failed to take advantage of Corbyn's abysmal leadership.

Did you really think they were any good?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    @Paristonda You may well be correct - Fish and Financial services could be the big sacrifices to get perhaps tarriff free trading. North East Scotland, Great Grimsby and the rest of inner London (Bar Fulham and Chelsea) could swing back back to Labour/the SNP next election.
  • Options
    BTW its less than five months to the local elections.

When this round was last fought in 2016 Labour were 1% ahead of the Conservatives in the NEV.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_United_Kingdom_local_elections
  • Options

Seems odd that Boris is passing this law. It is after he alone who will decide whether we extend or not. If he decides to go back on his word he will, but of course he has repeatedly said he won't and in reality I think he will take whatever bare bones agreement he can to mitigate damage and move on. His reasoning will probably be that he has the time to ride out any economic fallout.

However, as much as it pains me to say it, many of us underestimated his ability to get a deal before, indeed the LDs whole strategy was based on Boris taking the party in a no deal direction hence Revoke. He will probably come away with a deal that will sacrifice the groups least important to his electoral coalition (much like he did with the DUP for the WA). Fishermen seem the least unimportant electorally given the SNP took Scotland, and it's an area of true leverage for the UK, with the EU very interested in fishing rights.

He can also afford to throw London under the bus given its very much labour and the South East seats don't seem likely to change hands anytime soon so expect to sign up to whatever requirements the EU demands to keep London from outcompeting EU capitals.

Concessions in those two areas should help him get the kind of deal he wants in other aspects.

The sourest of sour grapes
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,627

BTW its less than five months to the local elections.

When this round was last fought in 2016 Labour were 1% ahead of the Conservatives in the NEV.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_United_Kingdom_local_elections

And it is PCC election time. Hurray! Spoilt ballot again I think.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,983
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:
    She might have under calculated what she needs from that salary so will need to claim lots of expenses, but it's a nice thought. Though I'm not against MPs getting a good salary as a rule.
    It's virtue signalling and utterly pointless.
  • Options
    So much for "Boris the moderate", "One Nation" conservative. Didn't last long before the headbangers started pulling the strings again. Now another 12 months of business and economic uncertainty. Good one Bozo!

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/brexit/boris-johnson-to-shut-door-on-extending-brexit-transition/ar-BBY3PBj?ocid=spartanntp
  • Options

Negotiating with a fixed deadline clearly damages the weaker partner in terms of no deal which is the UK.

Having said that, this is a different scenario to negotiating a trade deal from scratch, we are starting from the same place and the negotiating teams on both sides will surely have been prepping the deal since 2016. I fully expect we will get a deal, it will just be less comprehensive and less favourable to the UK than it could have been if we had been more patient.
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819
    alterego said:

The sourest of sour grapes
    What are you on about? I'm just looking at how he can give concessions to the EU in order to get a future trade deal. He got his new version of the WA in precisely this way, by ditching an aspect of it that May wouldn't, and by extension his DUP support.
  • Options

It won’t work.

If I were Boris I’d go for full-on attack of the SNP record in governing Scotland day-in day-out for all of the next year, and highlighting what an alternative administration could offer. Take it off their turf.

Yes, they’ll probably get 40-45% of the vote in any event, but this needs to be about denying them (plus the SGreens) a majority in 2021.
    Why should Boris care a jot about the SNP? The longer they have to fuck up in Scotland, the better. I doubt he'll give them anything, probably ignoring them, no matter how loudly the Crankie screams.
  • Options

So much for "Boris the moderate", "One Nation" conservative. Didn't last long before the headbangers started pulling the strings again. Now another 12 months of business and economic uncertainty. Good one Bozo!

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/brexit/boris-johnson-to-shut-door-on-extending-brexit-transition/ar-BBY3PBj?ocid=spartanntp

This is entirely moderate, it was in his manifesto.

What did you expect? That he would break his manifesto?
  • Options
    "Can the Tories deepen shallow roots in the North East?"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2019-50820302
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

I don't think that they did. This GE was largely a "not the Marxist Thicko" election. A full on rejection of Corbyn as PM. Many people were genuinely terrified of him becoming PM, and saw the only way of doing this was to vote for the Tories. If there were a more benign Labour leader people would have felt more comfortable voting for LD
  • Options
    alterego said:

It won’t work.

Why should Boris care a jot about the SNP? The longer they have to fuck up in Scotland, the better. I doubt he'll give them anything, probably ignoring them, no matter how loudly the Crankie screams.
    Agreed. I expect Johnson will do as much with independence as Thatcher did with devolution. IE absolutely nothing.

Let that be the next Labour government's problem.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

@Paristonda You may well be correct - Fish and Financial services could be the big sacrifices to get perhaps tarriff free trading. North East Scotland, Great Grimsby and the rest of inner London (Bar Fulham and Chelsea) could swing back back to Labour/the SNP next election.

London/ swing back????
  • Options

Why would we expect that when he would never dream of breaking his promises or lying?
  • Options

Why would we expect that when he would never dream of breaking his promises or lying?
    Exactly. This just shows how trustworthy Johnson is, he is keeping his word yet again.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

If the fishermen are 'hung out to dry' then I think there could be riots. AIUI, the big companies are doing OK; it's two to four man boats that have been suffering.
  • Options

I find your discomfort very reassuring.
  • Options
    eek said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:
    Could well end up being so. If she is forces to change her tune or claim oodles of expenses to make up the difference it will backfire on her. I'm prepared to give her the benefit of the doubt as shes so new.
  • Options

isam said:

nichomar said:

IanB2 said:

The markets are clearly going through the same thought process; having risen to $1.35 after the exit poll, the £ has quickly sunk back to about $1.325

Since Thursday night
    Is it just me, or are the people on here whose side won the election in a worse mood than those who lost? Come on PB Tories, you now have everything you ever dreamed of - an opportunity to deliver the kind of Brexit you know will be a great success for the whole UK, a big Tory majority to reshape the country every way you want, and a strong leader who has united the party and won over erstwhile Labour supporters with promises that he can surely deliver. Why so grumpy?
    It's just you. The people who lost are following the predictable path of forecasting doom because the public didn't agree with them.
    I don't know about forecasting doom. Forecasting the economic outlook is a big part of my job, so I do my best to separate out my personal views and come to an objective forecast. It is quite hard to escape the conclusion that the next couple of years are likely to be challenging for the UK economy, indeed we may already be in recession if the PMI surveys are a guide.
    I totally accept the public have chosen Brexit and trust Boris Johnson to deliver it effectively. I disagree with that choice and think their trust is mis
    Now that dilemma is over. My first focus is on protecting my own family from the pain that will come. At work I will try to provide objective analysis of how it will end up. And on here I will comment on how I think it is going.
    Obviously, I too accept that nothing more can be done to stop this insanity. I tried my damnedest, joining and becoming active in the Lib Dems (and helping to achieve a 7.4% swing in my constituency!), but it wasn't enough. We failed, and the best we can do now is to try to mitigate the adverse effects of Brexit which, sadly, will fall disproportionally on the poor and needy.

From a personal point of view, though, Brexit should be good for my son, given that he has both UK and German passports and therefore still has his freedom of movement. It will be a useful advantage for him in the future.
    Good luck to your son, he is indeed lucky. Farage's kids will enjoy similar advantages, interestingly. Two of mine have US citizenship which might prove useful (although might simply be a millstone given their Draconian tax system). The youngest is stuck on this benighted island though.
  • Options
    alterego said:

dr_spyn said:

Did you really think they were any good?

Cable's ship had sailed, and, IMHO he's another excellent No 2 anyway. Swinson's ship had barely left port when she was in the eye of the storm.
    And someone else made the point that there had been a big turnover of staff at LDHQ. Stability and time are needed for these things.
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201

Negotiating with a fixed deadline clearly damages the weaker partner in terms of no deal which is the UK.

Having said that, this is a different scenario to negotiating a trade deal from scratch, we are starting from the same place and the negotiating teams on both sides will surely have been prepping the deal since 2016. I fully expect we will get a deal, it will just be less comprehensive and less favourable to the UK than it could have been if we had been more patient.
    Why do you keep thinking the Govt want a comprehensive deal?
    They have been very clear in the Political Declaration and the manifesto that they want a Free Trade Deal with no customs union. If we leave in 12 months time or in 5 years time there will still be customs.
    The interesting area for me is what does the City want and here there has been silence.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,816
    Cookie said:

Morning all and on thread, I suppose the old adage applies, "if it an't broke, don't fix it"! As a Glasgow graduate I have no view on whether a PM should be an Oxford graduate or not.

On Labour leadership, Boris will think all his Christmases have come at once if Labour elects Rebecca Long-Bailey as leader and Richard Burgon as her deputy. The film title "Dumb and Dumber" comes to mind although "Thicko and extremely Thicko" might be more appropriate. The one good thing for British politics occasioned by their election would hopefully be the remaining moderately centre-left Labour MPs would join up with the rump of the LibDems and create an SDP Mark II which could then become the main opposition and begin to hold Boris' government to account. Sadly if that does not happen then realistically the SNP will be the official opposition in all but name.

If RLB gets elected, I do wonder if she will still be in post by the time the next election comes along. Four more opportunities to lose local councillors before then. If the public takes to her as badly as I suspect they will, then.....

Long-Drop beckons.
    I must admit, I've seen relatively little of RLB, but surely, surely she can't be as bad as Jeremy. However dim-witted, however crazily left-wing, she at least won't have his history of supporting the IRA, of supporting Hamas, of acting as a mouthpiece for Russia and Iran. That alone must be worth a couple of dozen seats at least.
    I'm somewhat sceptical, but I have to say RLB will at least get a hearing from me.

I'd had the displeasure of seeing Corbyn on Russia Today a couple of times when he was a backbench MP - I did occasionally alight on RT to understand the sort of lines they were pushing - so I had fair measure of him, against benchmarks like Militant Tendency, like folks in the lefty / Communist bars I occasionally frequented back in the day, etc. This was all independent of Tory attack lines, and his actions as leader never made me doubt this understanding.

Let's see if the new leader can avoid such judgements.

• Options

I am with you this law seems very strange. The fact that sterling euro dropped back to almost where it was before the election shows what the markets think.

Big G is far too ahead of himself. For most of business the election has changed little. We have avoided the risk of massive tax rises but we still face the possibility of a no deal Brexit. It is way too early for us to start investing again.

I am waiting to see if BJ is able to adapt to a completely different audience. When you are investing millions of £s then phrases like Get Brexit Done are seen as Dilbert style BS. We need cold hard facts and policy. If BJ cant get private sector investment moving soon then his term as PM will be short lived.

The Tories held much of NE Scotland and Cornwall because of the fish. They have 20 seats they may lose if they sell them out.

• Options

There's an interesting difference between now Conservative dominated Teesside and Tyneside with its still total Labour domination.

I have a theory that conurbations of towns such as Teeside (and likewise the Potteries, the Black Country and the Bournemouth-Poole-Christchurch area) are different to conurbations based around a single big city.
  • Options

Why do you keep thinking the Govt want a comprehensive deal?
    They have been very clear in the Political Declaration and the manifesto that they want a Free Trade Deal with no customs union. If we leave in 12 months time or in 5 years time there will still be customs.
    The interesting area for me is what does the City want and here there has been silence.
    I didnt mention anything about the governments specific objectives. My points were 1) we are likely to get a deal on time despite the naysayers 2) we could get a higher percentage of whatever objectives the govt does have by being more patient.
  • Options
    eek said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:
    From the bbc:

"former hate crime support worker"

An entirely, so far, life of been virtue signalling and pointless.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Nigelb said:

alex_ said:

Good morning

Have a good day folks

And the next five.

And the next five......
    Not extending the transition period was in the manifesto. So all the faux shock and horror that the Tory manifesto pledge is being honoured is a bit . . . strange.
    In bold text on page 5: we will not extend the implementation period beyond December 2020.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,994
    Alistair said:

@Pulpstar did you ever work out what to do, here is my book

Here's mine

• Options
    ByronicByronic Posts: 3,578
    What is Boris doing?!

I genuinely have no idea. But we can be sure Dom will have war-gamed this, and he has an established record of strategic success which will unnerve Brussels, Berlin and Paris. This is not Teresa May any more.
  • Options

An interesting read
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Byronic said:

What is Boris doing?!

I genuinely have no idea. But we can be sure Dom will have war-gamed this, and he has an established record of strategic success which will unnerve Brussels, Berlin and Paris. This is not Teresa May any more.

Dunno, he's halted the rise of sterling - which was only ever going to improve with a Tory majority, the numpty.
  • Options

There's an interesting difference between now Conservative dominated Teesside and Tyneside with its still total Labour domination.

I have a theory that conurbations of towns such as Teeside (and likewise the Potteries, the Black Country and the Bournemouth-Poole-Christchurch area) are different to conurbations based around a single big city.
    Areas with urban blight but without the swanky city centre and its associated glass-fronted offices.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,702
    edited December 2019
    Also in the manifesto:

We are opposed to a second independence referendum and stand with the majority of people in Scotland, who do not want to return to division and uncertainty. Nicola Sturgeon and the SNP promised that the 2014 referendum would be a ‘once in a generation’ vote and the result was decisive. We believe that outcome should be respected.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

What is Boris doing?!

He's doing exactly what he said he'd do.
  • Options

eek said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:
    From the bbc:

Supporting victims of hate crime is more useful than encouraging hate crimes by ill thought out newspaper columns, though.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

What is Boris doing?!

What they wrote in the manifesto?
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,543
    alterego said:

An interesting read
    As long as they remain the only convincing party to independent minded working class men, Yes. Labour could sort it out but don't look as if they will.

• Options

eek said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:
    From the bbc:

Meanwhile the new Tory MP for Redcar worked in a chemical plant at Wilton.

A proper job. Working alongside average voters. Who switched to the Tories.
  • Options

isam said:

nichomar said:

IanB2 said:

Since Thursday night
    who has united the party and won over erstwhile Labour supporters with promises that he can surely deliver. Why so grumpy?

Good luck to your son, he is indeed lucky. Farage's kids will enjoy similar advantages, interestingly. Two of mine have US citizenship which might prove useful (although might simply be a millstone given their Draconian tax system). The youngest is stuck on this benighted island though.
    Odd pub conversation the other night. One regular's an ex-soldier, now an Underground train driver, very definitely Cockney and he surprised us all, during a discussion about what will happen when Brexit by saying he wasn't worried about travel as he'd got an Irish passport, so was sticking to his plan to retire to Spain.
    Apparently he'd been born in Ireland, brought to Stepney at 2, hence the accent, got a British passport when he joined the Army, and had in fact served in N Ireland, regarded himself as English, but when Brexit threatened availed himself of the opportunity to redeem his 'Irishness".
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,543
    Is there any evidence that RLB is or is not a Marxist? Or indeed whether she is on record as supporting our enemies?
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

Is there any evidence that RLB is or is not a Marxist? Or indeed whether she is on record as supporting our enemies?

She supported Corbyn. Does that count?
  • Options
    TabmanTabman Posts: 1,046
    GDBO!!!!
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,930
    Tabman said:

GDBO!!!!

Great Danish Bake Off?
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Nigelb said:

alex_ said:

Good morning

Have a good day folks

And the next five.

And the next five......
    In bold text on page 5: we will not extend the implementation period beyond December 2020.
    Doesnt need a law to ensure that.
  • Options
    Tabman said:

GDBO!!!!

I was just about to post God Damn Bloody Oxford.
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201
    Byronic said:

What is Boris doing?!

They are just making it perfectly clear to EU that there will be no sequencing again and that they do not accept the EU statement that for an FTA to be granted the UK has to sign up to LPF on environment, H&S, workers rights, etc. That EU fishing rights must remain the same and we commit to their security.

When under 3rd country rules 50% of goods are tariff free to export to the EU, the next 30% are less than 3% tariff and it is the last 20% that have high tariffs. The high tariffs are on food, cars and textiles where the EU runs large surpluses with the UK.
    The nation states in the EU now have a very clear choice if you want to protect your trade surplus, drop your other demands.
  • Options
    PhilPhil Posts: 1,942

It’s virtue signalling, of the right wing variety this time.
  • Options
    TabmanTabman Posts: 1,046
    isam said:

Tabman said:

GDBO!!!!

Great Danish Bake Off?
    https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=GDBO
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

alterego said:

An interesting read
    As long as they remain the only convincing party to independent minded working class men, Yes. Labour could sort it out but don't look as if they will.

Doesn't Labour have to sort itself out first. Next leader very important choice.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

IanB2 said:

Nigelb said:

alex_ said:

Good morning

Have a good day folks

And the next five.

And the next five......
    Agreed, but governments enshrining their commitments in law has been a farce that has been going on for decades now. Blair and Cameron did it a lot.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

IanB2 said:

Nigelb said:

alex_ said:

Good morning

Have a good day folks

And the next five.

And the next five......
    Presumably a law doesnt actually stop us extending it or more likely creating a new tier of extension in the event it is needed as whatever the law says can easily be amended, reversed by the governing party?
  • Options
    Oxford’s a complete dump.

Just look at the number of Nobel Laureates Cambridge has produced versus the number the dump has.
  • Options

Areas with urban blight but without the swanky city centre and its associated glass-fronted offices.
    Teesside, the Potteries, the Black Country and even Bournemouth just don't have the critical mass that a city (even Newcastle) does.

Once upon a time I would have said the issue was transport links but that's definitely not the case in Darlington as it has a Motorway, mainline rail services and an airport.
  • Options
    PhilPhil Posts: 1,942
    Phil said:

It’s virtue signalling, of the right wing variety this time.
    NB. The deadline in the WA (once that’s passed) is the one that really matters because the government doesn’t have the power to change it.
  • Options

kle4 said:

IanB2 said:

Nigelb said:

alex_ said:

Good morning

Have a good day folks

And the next five.

And the next five......
    Presumably a law doesnt actually stop us extending it or more likely creating a new tier of extension in the event it is needed as whatever the law says can easily be amended, reversed by the governing party?
    It's virtue signing and I can't see the point of it - any extension beyond December 31st 2020 requires 2 lots of finance discussions and neither us or the EU will want that.
  • Options
    Anyhoo by the end of her life Thatcher considered herself more of a Cambridge lady after the shameful way Oxford treated her as PM.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,342
    Interesting discussion on the thread this morning. Like Paristonda, I think Johnson will get a bare-bones deal through, which may be sub-optimal financially but that plays second fiddle to politics for him. A Conservative friend expresses mild concern about the talk of far-reaching constitutional change (and that was before this morning's talk of scrapping the current laws), but here again I think the primacy of politics for Johnson shows through.

Is the Lords difficult? Let's scrap them. Are the BBC unhelpful? Let's dump the licence fee. Are the courts obstructive? Let's reduce their power. It's a pattern.

On the Labour side, an interesting article for punters by the Labour List editor, who usually has a very good feeling for the party pulse - the poll is also likely to be pretty accurate as the blog reaches all parts of the party. The RLB bandwagon is evident, as is the Corbynsceptic bloc of 40% or so looking at Starmer. Not yet in the bag for RLB, I think, especially with the new members pouring in to influence the outcome one way or the other.

https://labourlist.org/2019/12/everything-to-play-for-as-labours-leadership-contests-unfold/
  • Options
    Also Oxford is a well known nest of traitors.

The place has produced Soviet spies and Mark Reckless.

https://www.prospectmagazine.co.uk/politics/dreaming-spies-the-inside-story-of-the-kgb-at-oxford
  • Options
    ByronicByronic Posts: 3,578
    eek said:

Teesside, the Potteries, the Black Country and even Bournemouth just don't have the critical mass that a city (even Newcastle) does.

Once upon a time I would have said the issue was transport links but that's definitely not the case in Darlington as it has a Motorway, mainline rail services and an airport.
    A half-way decent university can transform a town
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,359

Just look at the number of Nobel Laureates Cambridge has produced versus the number the dump has.

Produced lots of traitors too
  • Options

Produced lots of traitors too
    No, that’s Oxford, see my post of 10:51.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

Evidence? I don't recall seeing any evidence but we know the Corbyn cohort think highly of her and are, everso gently, promoting her, so I suspect that is a fair indication, if not of Marxism then something to the wide left of central.
  • Options

Anyhoo by the end of her life Thatcher considered herself more of a Cambridge lady after the shameful way Oxford treated her as PM.

Pah! Margaret Thatcher appeared on RT. She was very much the Jeremy Corbyn of her day. Or possibly going on foreign telly was not seen as treason back then.
  • Options
    eek said:

Michael Porter in the Competitive Advantage of Nations states that the biggest gains come from the virtuous circle of having multiple competitors in the same area. So I suspect it's a critical mass issue
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    edited December 2019

Interesting discussion on the thread this morning. Like Paristonda, I think Johnson will get a bare-bones deal through, which may be sub-optimal financially but that plays second fiddle to politics for him. A Conservative friend expresses mild concern about the talk of far-reaching constitutional change (and that was before this morning's talk of scrapping the current laws), but here again I think the primacy of politics for Johnson shows through.

Is the Lords difficult? Let's scrap them. Are the BBC unhelpful? Let's dump the licence fee. Are the courts obstructive? Let's reduce their power. It's a pattern.

Apropos of absolutely nothing:
    https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/political-parties/labour-party/news/108205/labour-accused-‘undermining’-anti-semitism-probe

Physician, heal thyself.
This discussion has been closed.