Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The reports of high turnout might be down to the fact it’ll go

Comments

• Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,086

On reflection, this is quite a suit statement for election day. I’m not sure quite how well it will go down in a rural north Essex polling station:

I assume you got that suit in a sale
    You’ll be pleased to know I’ve changed into my proper Christmas jumper now:

Jesus.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,138

On reflection, this is quite a suit statement for election day. I’m not sure quite how well it will go down in a rural north Essex polling station:

Looks like an Ice Warrior costume.
  • Options

Jason said:

Reactions from Tory PBers if exit poll says 'Labour largest party'.................

Yoda has the same tailor as @AlastairMeeks
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,691

Or a power cut?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,989

Magnificent.
  • Options
    How can someone so young become so arrogant and smug? I am begining to believe in reincarnation; she must have been an angry old man in a previous life.
  • Options

Jason said:

Reactions from Tory PBers if exit poll says 'Labour largest party'.................

Yoda has the same tailor as @AlastairMeeks
    "There is no try" explains a lot in both cases.
  • Options
    ByronicByronic Posts: 3,578
    IanB2 said:

Suddenly the £ isn't very happy

I have decided that the driver behind these movements, to NOM and against Tory Maj, and a lower pound.... is simply the reports of higher turnout. It can't be anything else?!

And that could just be a function of the season and the weather.
  • Options
    saddened said:

Turnout, predictably, described as "brisk" when I voted about an hour ago in Harrogate. Ended up voting for the Yorkshire party, because I couldn't face spoiling my ballot, or voting for any of the usual clown shoes masquerading as serious politicians.

What are the Yorkshire Party's policies ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jY4tD2Hbg_A
  • Options

Is that designed to minimise impact in a crash?
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787

How can someone so young become so arrogant and smug? I am begining to believe in reincarnation; she must have been an angry old man in a previous life.
    OK boomer.
  • Options
    SunnyJimSunnyJim Posts: 1,106
    Strong open on Wall St after Trump indicates China trade deal imminent.

FTSE 100 and 250 are moving in tandem so not election related.

Forex still doing nothing of note.
  • Options
    ByronicByronic Posts: 3,578
    IanB2 said:

timmo said:

There is a weather window coming into.London at about 5.30 tonight where its clearing up.
    People even after being knocked up are saying on the doorstep they will wait for the rain to.ease..if it doesnt then the results could be pretty skewed as voters warm and snug in their homes decide to stay there

It’s barely drizzling. Hardly apocalyptic conditions.
    It should be with you very shortly
    It's a fucking monsoon here
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486

New species of acorn discovered in Essex.
  • Options

Boris Johnson will be delighted, another rootless cosmopolitan migrant is denied the vote.

https://twitter.com/amandinegarde/status/1205104516858875904?s=21

I'm surprised Liverpool City Council are trying to delight Boris.

And do you get a medal for becoming a British citizen?
  • Options

I saw a poster for a book she's written about inspiring women from Boudicca to Yvette Cooper.

I think I got that right.
  • Options
    Theory: Tory Fibs is using the Corbyn MRP and it’s actually showing holds/wins in those seats. But they want to shore up the vote.
  • Options
    rpjs said:

OK boomer.
    hoho. Just keep following the herd if it makes you feel better.
  • Options

Theory: Tory Fibs is using the Corbyn MRP and it’s actually showing holds/wins in those seats. But they want to shore up the vote.

Or they are just making it up.
  • Options

One of the elves has escaped from Santa's sweatshop.
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245
    She does have excellent handlers doesn't she.
  • Options

There was a nice anti-Boris banner on a bridge over the Central Motorway in Newcastle this morning. 👍

That's five years of pot-holes not getting fixed in Newcastle then.

That should larn 'em.....
    MM - I rather suspect that "larn 'em" is an East Midlands rather than a Geordie expression.
    There is a book titled "Larn Yersel' Geordie"
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403

Can. Not. Unsee.
  • Options
    alb1onalb1on Posts: 698

She is somewhere on the autistic scale. One of my cricket colleagues is similarly diagnosed. He has a successful career but a similar personality. Managing him when I was skipper was a nightmare.
  • Options

There was a nice anti-Boris banner on a bridge over the Central Motorway in Newcastle this morning. 👍

MM - I rather suspect that "larn 'em" is an East Midlands rather than a Geordie expression.
    It was made into (or originated from - I am not sure which) a BBC radio series in the 70s. It was a cult listen when I was at university.
  • Options
    For the weak and wobbly....obviously not me....

On the eve of election last time around, the average Tory lead was 6.64%. In reality, the results came in with a Tory lead of just 2.4%, 64% lower than the average. If the percentage difference is the same between polls and reality this time, it will mean an eventual Tory lead of 3.5%.
  • Options

On the eve of election last time around, the average Tory lead was 6.64%. In reality, the results came in with a Tory lead of just 2.4%, 64% lower than the average. If the percentage difference is the same between polls and reality this time, it will mean an eventual Tory lead of 3.5%.

How does that compare with 2015?
  • Options
    speedy2 said:

Looking at all the turnout reports, turnout seems to be way up in London but not outside of London.

Beyond the M25 there is silence.

I'd love to see some shots of some of those youth-populated queues outside voting stations from very early this morning, which as dusk descends I suspect are now totally deserted. *** Tumbleweed ***
    It's amazing really what little value the younger generation places on their time. They're clearly not destined to become plumbers or electricians in their mature years.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 1,614

So it's a hung parliament then.
  • Options
    alb1on said:

She is somewhere on the autistic scale. One of my cricket colleagues is similarly diagnosed. He has a successful career but a similar personality. Managing him when I was skipper was a nightmare.
    What I don't get is why her parents are not protecting her from herself? She is clearly a vulnerable soul that has become a brand to be manipulated by cynical people. Like a female Scandanavian William Hague without the wit but with a better PR manager.
  • Options

saddened said:

Turnout, predictably, described as "brisk" when I voted about an hour ago in Harrogate. Ended up voting for the Yorkshire party, because I couldn't face spoiling my ballot, or voting for any of the usual clown shoes masquerading as serious politicians.

Free dog training for whippets, nationalisation of racing pigeon infrastructure abolishing the sale of soft southern lager. Then they get a bit silly.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,308

That really is a proper Christmas jumper! Respect.
  • Options
    To add to the anecdotes:

Voted at 3PM, took a brolly as it is raining here. Polling station as quiet as usual, no other voters. Turnout apparently up slightly but staff thought this was due to people wanting to vote before it gets dark and the weather turns a little nastier.

This is in Amber Valley, a former bellwether that is now a safe Conservative seat. Not sure it tells us much other than people voting earlier than normal.
  • Options
    speedy2speedy2 Posts: 981
    edited December 2019

My rule of thumb is adding 7% to the leader of the opposition on the preffered PM figures from Mori.

It worked really well last time, May was leading by 11, so it gave me a Conservative lead of 4.

Now it says Boris leads by 14, so I think the Conservative lead is 7.
  • Options
    saddened said:

saddened said:

Free dog training for whippets, nationalisation of racing pigeon infrastructure abolishing the sale of soft southern lager. Then they get a bit silly.
    You think making 'The Church of the Latter Day Boycott' the established religion a bit silly?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,986
    isam said:
    Last election Liverpool smashed it in was 1983 and 1987.
  • Options
    MightyAlexMightyAlex Posts: 1,458
    £ -0.53%, somebody got people counting at polling stations?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,131

The final Survation in 2017 had a 1% Tory lead, the final Survation now has an 11% Tory lead.

In 2017 Yougov MRP forecast a hung parliament it now forecasts a Tory majority
  • Options
    saddened said:

Steady on, she's a bit young for that sort of comment!
  • Options

To add to the anecdotes:

Voted at 3PM, took a brolly as it is raining here. Polling station as quiet as usual, no other voters. Turnout apparently up slightly but staff thought this was due to people wanting to vote before it gets dark and the weather turns a little nastier.

This is in Amber Valley, a former bellwether that is now a safe Conservative seat. Not sure it tells us much other than people voting earlier than normal.

I shouldn't worry. It probably just means all those people in queues are voting Labour.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,950

Alastair, you are a fine fellow and a credit to this site. But you look like a pencil. :)
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,879
    TudorRose said:

ClippP said:

TudorRose said:

ClippP said:

TudorRose said:

alb1on said:

Agreed, but given the reference was to Swinson we are talking Con/LD seats where Corbyn does not matter.

I thought the whole point of voting tactically for LibDems was to deny the Tories a majority. In which case the only alternative is getting Corbyn as PM.
    Logic failure, I think, Mr Rose. Another alternative is to deny an overall majority to both of them. If the Lib Dems do well today, and hold the balance of power, then neither the Tories nor Labour can run amok with their own pet - extremist - policies. This would be good for the country.
    I fear that denying an overall majority to both of them will pretty quickly end in us doing all this over again.
    With the same leaders, would you say?
    Good question! I'd say Corbyn would stay in those circumstances, Boris would be quickly and quietly replaced by the Saj (or equivalent) and Jo - if the LibDems do well as posited in the earlier question - then she'll be around as well. If the LibDems are sub-20 I think Jo will be gone by about this time tomorrow.
    Agree that 20+ will see her safe. 15 will see her safe but with grumbling. 12 or fewer she'll be gone.

Betfair currently has Ed Davey and Layla Moran on similar odds for next leader - not really worth the bet IMO. Everyone else a long way behind, presumably reflecting the fact that Chuka looks unlikely to get elected right now.
  • Options
    ridaligoridaligo Posts: 174
    saddened said:

She certainly does. I always assumed she was a front for some eco organization but maybe it's just a revenue stream based on "brand Greta" they are interested in. Does anyone on here know what / who is behind her? Not just pushy parents presumably ...
  • Options
    TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,714

I am going to whisper this... but has anyone here done any work today?

No.
  • Options
    funkhauserfunkhauser Posts: 325
    edited December 2019

Boris Johnson will be delighted, another rootless cosmopolitan migrant is denied the vote.

Not the brightest lamp on the street.
    She won't be such a smart ar$$ next time.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

isam said:
    OMG, that really is a bad omen! Tory landslide. Aghh!
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,086
    HYUFD said:

The final Survation in 2017 had a 1% Tory lead, the final Survation now has an 11% Tory lead.

In 2017 Yougov MRP forecast a hung parliament it now forecasts a Tory majority
    You alright hun?
  • Options
    nunu2nunu2 Posts: 1,453

Turnout here in London is absolutely on fire! These are Labour voters not tory (ethnic minorities- could save Labour seats in the north/Midlands if repeated there)
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    BONG

15:51 - sunset, London. One second later than tomorrow, which is the earliest sunset of the year.
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    NOM is 3.35 Lab 35-40% is 3.65. NOM won't happen without the latter so thats where the value is.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 1,614
    viewcode said:

Alastair, you are a fine fellow and a credit to this site. But you look like a pencil. :)
    I've never heard it called that before!
  • Options

And the FTSE is up 1.13%. These are very normal daily moves.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,205
    Pulpstar said:

isam said:
    Everton were champions in 1987.
  • Options
    Chris said:

How far away from a polling station do you have to be to be allowed to handout political leaflets? There is some video this morning of Labour campaigners handing out vote Faiza Shaheen leaflets to people going in to vote at the entrance to a polling station in Redbridge.

Outside "a circle with a radius of 250 metres from the main entrance of a polling station."
    The guy in the video was about 25 feet from the door and stopping people as they were going in.
  • Options
    Gabs3Gabs3 Posts: 836

Being born an Englishman is already winning first prize in the lottery of life, so maybe they give out silver medals for being second?
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

isam said:
    We'll have the prospect of Leeds United storming it in 5 to 10 years !
  • Options
    XtrainXtrain Posts: 338

I just walked the dog.
  • Options
    ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312
    alb1on said:

PC or not, the girls at my daughter's secondary school compete for the best Greta impressions, not complimentary.
  • Options
    If nobody has tweeted back "OK Boomer" there is no justice... :)

• Options
    Xtrain said:

I just walked the dog.
    In the rain!!!!
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,991

murali_s said:

Have done my civic duty and cast my vote here in Wimbledon. Polling station very empty. Staff chasing flies!

Flies in December? Very odd.
    Had two in a meeting yesterday, it happens!
  • Options
    This is the optimist's guide to potential results:

Tory landslide: Laugh at Corbyn
    Small Tory majority: Laugh at Bozo for being in the same position as TMay
    Hung parliament: Laugh at Boris fanbois
    Corbyn win: laugh insanely and kill oneself!
  • Options

alb1on said:

PC or not, the girls at my daughter's secondary school compete for the best Greta impressions, not complimentary.
    Girls can be cruel, especially 11-16
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,988

alb1on said:

How dare they!
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137

I had three years in Durham.

You're going to ask aren't you - "which wing?"
  • Options
    Byronic said:

IanB2 said:

Suddenly the £ isn't very happy

I have decided that the driver behind these movements, to NOM and against Tory Maj, and a lower pound.... is simply the reports of higher turnout. It can't be anything else?!

And that could just be a function of the season and the weather.

But may balance itself out if turnout drops this evening.
  • Options
    Gabs3 said:

Being born an Englishman is already winning first prize in the lottery of life, so maybe they give out silver medals for being second?
    The Scots want to send it to VAR
  • Options

What would be abnormal?
  • Options

Chris said:

How far away from a polling station do you have to be to be allowed to handout political leaflets? There is some video this morning of Labour campaigners handing out vote Faiza Shaheen leaflets to people going in to vote at the entrance to a polling station in Redbridge.

Outside "a circle with a radius of 250 metres from the main entrance of a polling station."
    The guy in the video was about 25 feet from the door and stopping people as they were going in.
    250 metres would exclude loads of area - sounds a bit extreme.
  • Options
    Gabs3Gabs3 Posts: 836

To add to the anecdotes:

Do we have any evidence turnout is up outside big cities and university towns?
  • Options
    edited December 2019

That really is a proper Christmas jumper! Respect.
    That's not a Christmas jumper - that's the top of somebody with super powers.

Although, I'm not quite sure what powers Varicose Vein man would have....
  • Options
    Just having a coffee pitsop knocking up for IDS and the landlord has given it on the house but charging Momentum full whack tonight.

IDS' son was out with us, a charming criminal barrister
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

isam said:
    We'll have the prospect of Leeds United storming it in 5 to 10 years !
    That will coincide with a three day week and the power cuts. Nah, Corbyn will be well gone after his third attempt...unless of course the lights go off because Boris' Brexit really is a shambles.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

murali_s said:

Have done my civic duty and cast my vote here in Wimbledon. Polling station very empty. Staff chasing flies!

Flies in December? Very odd.
    Had two in a meeting yesterday, it happens!
    Had you forgotten to do them up?
  • Options
    ridaligo said:

saddened said:

She certainly does. I always assumed she was a front for some eco organization but maybe it's just a revenue stream based on "brand Greta" they are interested in. Does anyone on here know what / who is behind her? Not just pushy parents presumably ...
    Maybe it is Baby Yoda
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,291
    edited December 2019

What would be abnormal?
    Well for example immediately after the vote to leave, the FTSE 100 index fell by 8% and £ lost 11% against the $.
  • Options
    XtrainXtrain Posts: 338

Xtrain said:

I just walked the dog.
    In the rain!!!!
    It's stopped.
    Beautiful sky now but quite cold and windy.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Yeah, cos that's so hurtful. Only genuine snowflakes believe it has the slightest impact. Hurty words tend not to bother anyone over 30.
  • Options

A small Tory majority is the same position as Cameron not May
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Just having a coffee pitsop knocking up for IDS and the landlord has given it on the house but charging Momentum full whack tonight.

How do you think it's going?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

What crime was he convicted of?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

More proof that brains always come from the mother not the father
  • Options

alb1on said:

Girls can be cruel, especially 11-16
    That is true, much worse than boys.
  • Options
    SunnyJim said:

A little bit of weakness in GBP vs USD/EUR but well within a normal days trading range.

If the exit poll shows a HP there will an almighty plunge.

Indeed. I assume if Con Maj then there will be a slight fall tomorrow (buy on the rumour, sell on the fact) and then I'll trade out all that remains and I'll be done for the year.
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    sporting index Con seats ticked up to 343 from 341
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,991
    edited December 2019

Jesus.
    I think mr meeks is great too, mostly, but I would not mistake him for Jesus
  • Options
    T-minus 6 hours

BONG!!!!!
  • Options
    saddened said:

viewcode said:

Yeah, cos that's so hurtful. Only genuine snowflakes believe it has the slightest impact. Hurty words tend not to bother anyone over 30.
    There is plenty of evidence to the contrary

• Options

T-minus 6 hours

BONG!!!!!

Premature bong. Happens to the best of us.
  • Options
    isam said:

alb1on said:

How dare they!
    How double dog dare they?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

What crime was he convicted of?
    Admitting to being the spawn of the idiotic IDS is criminal enough
  • Options

What would be abnormal?
    A sign on the door saying "Dear Mr McDonnell, There is no money left. Merry Christmas, The City."
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,311
    Brom said:

NOM is 3.35 Lab 35-40% is 3.65. NOM won't happen without the latter so thats where the value is.

Worth remembering Betfair vote shares are UK, whilst almost all polls are GB.

Lab 35% on Betfair is very close to 36% GB.

I would have thought something like Con 41.5%, Lab 35.8% (GB) could give a Hung Parliament.
  • Options

What would be abnormal?
    Well for example immediately after the vote to leave, the FTSE 100 index fell by 8% and £ lost 11% against the $.
    Is it comparable? If turnout worries are influencing a small percentage of holders, would you expect a precipitous drop or a small decline over the next few hours?
  • Options

saddened said:

viewcode said:

There is plenty of evidence to the contrary

Perhaps it's just Yorkshire over 30's then.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

T-minus 6 hours

BONG!!!!!

6 hours post sunset - unusually long voting window for the Undead. Which should boost tory turnout immeasurably.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

A small Tory majority is the same position as Cameron not May
    Au contraire. A small majority for Bozo will be exactly the same as no other party will touch the lying bastard with a barge pole
  • Options

I understand DWP state pension statements will be the only acceptable proof of identity from the 2024 election.
    Nah, Tory Party membership cards and bus passes too.
  • Options

What would be abnormal?
    Is it comparable? If turnout worries are influencing a small percentage of holders, would you expect a precipitous drop or a small decline over the next few hours?
    I take it there is a lot of nervousness, but changes of < 1% happen every day. There are loads of bits of news that move the needle e.g. Trump has back on China Tariff stuff today.
This discussion has been closed.