Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » At exactly this stage before GE2017 punters rated TMay’s major

SystemSystem Posts: 11,682
edited December 2019 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » At exactly this stage before GE2017 punters rated TMay’s majority chances higher than they rate Johnson’s now

It is perhaps worth reminding ourselves what happened last time and how the received opinion of those who risk their money betting on politics got it totally wrong.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,448
    First!
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    2nd like the Marxists
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited December 2019
    Third time lucky.

I think these next three days are crucial, including switchers on the day.

My view is that we're currently on about +10-20, and we could still get either a heavier Tory maj than that or a hung parliament.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,005
    edited December 2019
    In 1992 every poll had Major preferred to Kinnock as PM, even if Labour narrowly led the Tories in most polls, now every poll has Boris preferred to Corbyn as PM.

In 2017 Yougov MRP forecast a hung parliament and Survation GMB had the Tories just 1% ahead in its final poll, now Yougov MRP forecasts a Tory majority and Survation GMB has the Tories 14% ahead
  • Options

Third time lucky.

My view is that we're currently on about +10-20, and we could still get either a heavier Tory maj than that, or a hung parliament.

That is exactly where I am. Worth bearing in mind that both in 1992 and 2017 (and indeed in every election in my lifetime) the leader satisfaction ratings correctly called the result, and in 2019 those point to a Tory lead of 6-7pp, on the cusp of a hung parliament.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,860
    Floater said:

2nd like the Marxists

A close 2nd!!!
  • Options
    Jeremy Corbyn wants power sharing deal in the Falklands outgoing Argentine Ambassador says
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,981
    HYUFD said:

In 1992 every poll had Major preferred to Kinnock as PM, even if Labour narrowly led the Tories in most polls, now every poll has Boris preferred to Corbyn as PM.

In 2017 Yougov MRP forecast a hung parliament and Survation GMB had the Tories just 1% ahead in its final poll, now Yougov MRP forecasts a Tory majority and Survation GMB has the Tories 14% ahead

You seem to be getting nervous
  • Options
    6th or lower, like Farage.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    HYUFD said:

How do you know what tonight's YG MRP shows?
    How does MRP pick up Tactical voting?
  • Options

Third time lucky.

My view is that we're currently on about +10-20, and we could still get either a heavier Tory maj than that, or a hung parliament.

That is exactly where I am. Worth bearing in mind that both in 1992 and 2017 (and indeed in every election in my lifetime) the leader satisfaction ratings correctly called the result, and in 2019 those point to a Tory lead of 6-7pp, on the cusp of a hung parliament.
    It was preferred PM that predicted the result, on net satisfaction ratings Howard led Blair in 2005 for example but Blair still led as preferred PM
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Lessons have been learned.
  • Options
    edited December 2019

HYUFD said:

The first Yougov MRP in 2017 predicted a hung parliament, as did the second, the first Yougov MRP this time predicted a Tory majority of 68 so I doubt the final one will be much different given the overall Yougov poll rating is about the same
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850

Third time lucky.

The respective leader ratings point to a bigger lead than that.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    We are getting used to expecting a "well I never saw that coming" election?
  • Options
    FPT.

Are we running a prediction thread this time?

This was mine from last Thursday - if anything I would go slightly bigger now...because I hadn’t factored in the otter vote.

Con 43% 355 seats
    Lab 33% 215 seats
    Lib Dem 14% 15 seats
    SNP 46 seats
    Brexit Party 0 seats.
    Green 1 seat.
    Others 18 seats.

Con Majority 60
  • Options
    eek said:

HYUFD said:

You seem to be getting nervous
    No, I am the same as I have been throughout the campaign, I don't get excited by noise, the fundamentals remain the same
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,630
    Question: if the Tories get between 310 and 320 seats and are therefore dependent on the unionists, is it probably correct to say that although they won't support Boris's Deal they also won't put Corbyn in Downing Street?
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Third time lucky.

Most recent BMG is Jester 39 Jezza 32
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Question: if the Tories get between 310 and 320 seats and are therefore dependent on the unionists, is it probably correct to say that although they won't support Boris's Deal they also won't put Corbyn in Downing Street?

Yes
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Andy_JS said:

This issue hasn't been discussed enough recently - they could be important again.
  • Options
    98% chance of rain. 63 mph winds. This is going to be a fun canvass session..... 😒
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    edited December 2019
    A timely reminder of how important it is that tonight's yougov shows a smaller majority than the last one did.

Although it seems clear that Corbyn has already been rejected, far more strongly than Kinnock ever was.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

I suspect the most likely situation in that case is that they support Boris in No 10 except on the Deal and as a result we potentially Leave with No Deal on 31st Jan. The interesting question at that point is how many anti-No Dealers have managed to get elected under the Conservative banner and whether they are able to compensate for the Unionist support. It will all come down to one or two votes.
  • Options
    theakestheakes Posts: 842
    One thing for sure the Lib Dems are going to stgruggle to win even 10 seats, I suspect it will be single figures, with a total vote not that much more than the last two elections..
  • Options
    edited December 2019

Andy_JS said:

I suspect the most likely situation in that case is that they support Boris in No 10 except on the Deal and as a result we potentially Leave with No Deal on 31st Jan. The interesting question at that point is how many anti-No Dealers have managed to get elected under the Conservative banner and whether they are able to compensate for the Unionist support. It will all come down to one or two votes.
    Thanks, that's what I was thinking. So in order for the opposition parties to get rid of Boris as PM, the Tories would have to go below 310 seats.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

The DUP have said they will only back Labour if Corbyn is ousted as Labour leader

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7720127/DUPs-Arlene-Foster-prop-Labour-government-Jeremy-Corbyn-ousted.html
  • Options

FPT.

This was mine from last Thursday - if anything I would go slightly bigger now...because I hadn’t factored in the otter vote.

Con 43% 355 seats
    Lab 33% 215 seats
    Lib Dem 14% 15 seats
    SNP 46 seats
    Brexit Party 0 seats.
    Green 1 seat.
    Others 18 seats.

Con Majority 60

New avatar, Robin? Are you actually associated withe the SDP?
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    edited December 2019
    This campaign has done nothing to alter the view of those that know him best, Boris is unfit to be Prime Minister.
  • Options
    RobinWiggsRobinWiggs Posts: 621
    edited December 2019
    Cookie said:

FPT.

Con 43% 355 seats
    Lab 33% 215 seats
    Lib Dem 14% 15 seats
    SNP 46 seats
    Brexit Party 0 seats.
    Green 1 seat.
    Others 18 seats.

Con Majority 60

Nope...but it was the first party I joined as a 14 yr old in 1987. Followed by the Lib Dem’s at uni and a Tory member since 1997.

My natural home would be somewhere between an Owenite SDP and Cameron one nationism, but a bit harder fiscally.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

The DUP have said they will only back Labour if Corbyn is ousted as Labour leader

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7720127/DUPs-Arlene-Foster-prop-Labour-government-Jeremy-Corbyn-ousted.html
    Presumably they wouldn't be impressed if he was replaced by John McDonnell.
  • Options
    theakes said:

One thing for sure the Lib Dems are going to stgruggle to win even 10 seats, I suspect it will be single figures, with a total vote not that much more than the last two elections..

Yesterday's London constituency polls were not good for the lib dems

At the same time George Osborne came down for Boris in the Evening Standard and Lord Sugar asked all labour supporters to vote conservative to rid the party of Corbyn

Both Osborne and Sugar could have quite an effect in London and the south

Indeed if labour supporters want to see the back of Corbyn voting conservative would amost guarantee it.
  • Options

Cookie said:

FPT.

Con 43% 355 seats
    Lab 33% 215 seats
    Lib Dem 14% 15 seats
    SNP 46 seats
    Brexit Party 0 seats.
    Green 1 seat.
    Others 18 seats.

Con Majority 60

Nope...but it was the first party I joined as a 14 yr old in 1987. Followed by the Lib Dem’s at uni and a Tory member since 1997.

My natural home would be somewhere between an Owenite SDP and Cameron one nationism, but a bit harder fiscally.
    New Labour.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

This campaign has done nothing to alter the view of those that know him best, Boris is unfit to be Prime Minister.

If you believe that social media has any impact - which it obviously does - then that video of Johnson yesterday which has now 9.1M views and still climbing, might have impact in the final days, with those undecided Labour voters. Their fears about the NHS verified, that Johnson doesn’t give a toss.
  • Options
    What level of seats will force leaders to resign?

I go for

Corbyn below 275 therefore he will

Johnson below 300 therefore he stays

Swinson?? I suspect she has to lose her seat but could see her hanging on with 10 if she does.
  • Options
    Corbyn will resign regardless of how many seats he wins. That much is obvious.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,282
    edited December 2019

HYUFD said:

My guess is that the seat-specific panellists are weighted to how they said (at the time) they voted in 2017.

Therefore a "base" level of tactical voting is built in.

The MRP will struggle to pick up the full extent of any change in tactical voting (up or down), essentially having two ways to do this, neither of which is perfect:

- changes in the reported voting intention of local panellists, working from a small sample with big MoE
    - the national aggregate changes in voting behaviour filtering through the demographics.

I'd expect the latter to be better picking up a trend that is happening in lots of places - for example LibDems moving Labour in the many seats where the LibDems never stood a chance - than those happening in a few places - for example Labour supporters moving LibDem in its few targets. The latter relies on influencing the relevant demographics, which will pick up some of it - such Lab to LibDem tactical voters are likely to be educated people living in middle class areas - but spread it too widely across the model.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    When is the next poll due ?

I'm fascinated with each one at the moment, like a hungry otter.
  • Options
    timpletimple Posts: 118
    I have tried some canvassing this election both door step and telephone and the response rate for both is incredibly low. The only demographic I got much feedback from was the elderly. Perhaps everyone here already knows that but how the polling firms can draw accurate predictions given the difficulty in actually contacting abroad swathe of the population is beyond me. There must come a time mathematically where the signal to noise ratio is so low that not even the most sophisticated model can give an accurate answer. What that means for politics I do not know.
  • Options

Cookie said:

FPT.

Con 43% 355 seats
    Lab 33% 215 seats
    Lib Dem 14% 15 seats
    SNP 46 seats
    Brexit Party 0 seats.
    Green 1 seat.
    Others 18 seats.

Con Majority 60

Ah, pity. I was going to award myself a spotter's badge! Personally I'd be very happy with an Owenite SDP. But maybe that's because as they never got near power I can project what I like onto them.
  • Options
    camelcamel Posts: 815

Cookie said:

FPT.

Con 43% 355 seats
    Lab 33% 215 seats
    Lib Dem 14% 15 seats
    SNP 46 seats
    Brexit Party 0 seats.
    Green 1 seat.
    Others 18 seats.

Con Majority 60

You sound like an Orange Booker. Am not sure your home is in OneNationTory 2.0.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,352

that's only chopping off one head so to speak. Labour has to defeat its own hard left.
  • Options
    edited December 2019

Jonathan said:

If you believe that social media has any impact - which it obviously does - then that video of Johnson yesterday which has now 9.1M views and still climbing, might have impact in the final days, with those undecided Labour voters. Their fears about the NHS verified, that Johnson doesn’t give a toss.
    Johnson is the worst kind of bully. Superficially charming, but entitled and arrogant. He uses people, lashes out and even acts unlawfully when things don't go well for him. It's all ok as far as he is concerned, because he is Boris. That alone is justification for him.

We saw another glimpse of that yesterday. He should not be let near number 10, let alone with a majority.

• Options
    I wonder if there are plans within the Labour Party to potentially replace Corbyn with a leader who'd be acceptable to both the DUP and the LDs in the event of those parties holding the balance of power. They've both said they couldn't support the party as long as Corbyn is leader. Surely Labour wouldn't turn down the opportunity to move into government just over the issue of who the leader is.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,282

I go for

Swinson?? I suspect she has to lose her seat but could see her hanging on with 10 if she does.

Swinson is brand new and will be seen as deserving a spell in the job and another chance. Corbyn will go anyway. Bozo would have to be prized from office and, like Mrs M before him, wont be resigning until there is at least one gun pointed to his head by close colleagues.
  • Options

that's only chopping off one head so to speak. Labour has to defeat its own hard left.
    I’ll give you my most honest prediction: Starmer will become leader in the HP
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

I wonder if there are plans within the Labour Party to potentially replace Corbyn with a leader who'd be acceptable to both the DUP and the LDs in the event of those parties holding the balance of power. They've both said they couldn't support the party as long as Corbyn is leader. Surely Labour wouldn't turn down the opportunity to move into government just over the issue of who the leader is.

Exactly what I was thinking.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Only 9.1m views. Surely it must be near 65m now

But seriously will you answer the question I posted on the last thread

Will you guarantee you will still be posting on this forum after friday and beyond like the rest of us

• Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

Jonathan said:

Can you update us on the number of views of that video of wossname off the BBC which was so crucial 4 or 5 days ago?
  • Options
    camelcamel Posts: 815
    IshmaelZ said:

Jonathan said:

Can you update us on the number of views of that video of wossname off the BBC which was so crucial 4 or 5 days ago?
    Cruel! :)
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Third time lucky.

No they don't. Have you run the regression? The prediction for 2019 based on 10 data points from 1979 to 2017 is 6.5pp.
    If you want to run the regression yourself, the Mori positive leader satisfaction ratings differential (PM Vs LOTO) for the 10 elections plus 2019 are:
    -3 29 20 7 -19 19 3 -10 11 4 12
    The GB vote share lead for the govt in those 10 elections are:
    -7.2 15.2 11.7 7.6 -12.8 9.4 2.9 -7.2 6.5 2.4
    Regression coefficients are y=-0.88214+0.611826x. R^2=0.9373.
    You can run the same analysis using net favorability, it gives a Tory lead of 8pp, but it does a worse job of predicting the result historically.
    You're welcome!
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,124

I go for

Always tricky for Lib Dems these days. The bad end of the range means they have so few alternatives to choose from. If it's really bad Ed Davey and Layla Moran may not be available.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Thanks, I might add this data to my candidates list.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,435
    edited December 2019
    Boy was on hospital floor because he wanted to get Brexit done, says Johnson.

BORIS Johnson has claimed that the boy lying on a floor in A&E was doing it as a protest because he wants to get Brexit done.

https://bit.ly/2YCZHiK
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850

Sean_F said:

Third time lucky.

No they don't. Have you run the regression? The prediction for 2019 based on 10 data points from 1979 to 2017 is 6.5pp.
    If you want to run the regression yourself, the Mori positive leader satisfaction ratings differential (PM Vs LOTO) for the 10 elections plus 2019 are:
    -3 29 20 7 -19 19 3 -10 11 4 12
    The GB vote share lead for the govt in those 10 elections are:
    -7.2 15.2 11.7 7.6 -12.8 9.4 2.9 -7.2 6.5 2.4
    Regression coefficients are y=-0.88214+0.611826x. R^2=0.9373.
    You can run the same analysis using net favorability, it gives a Tory lead of 8pp, but it does a worse job of predicting the result historically.
    You're welcome!
    Post hoc, proper hoc.
  • Options
    BluerBlueBluerBlue Posts: 521
    edited December 2019

Jonathan said:

Which number will be greater - the number of views your tedious viral videos get, or the number of votes Labour gets in the election?

How's the Andrew Neil video doing by the way? We've missed your updates.
  • Options

BORIS Johnson has claimed that the boy lying on a floor in A&E was doing it as a protest because he wants to get Brexit done.

That about sums it all up.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

My guess is that the seat-specific panellists are weighted to how they said (at the time) they voted in 2017.

Therefore a "base" level of tactical voting is built in.

The MRP will struggle to pick up the full extent of any change in tactical voting (up or down), essentially having two ways to do this, neither of which is perfect:

- changes in the reported voting intention of local panellists, working from a small sample with big MoE
    - the national aggregate changes in voting behaviour filtering through the demographics.

I'd expect the latter to be better picking up a trend that is happening in lots of places - for example LibDems moving Labour in the many seats where the LibDems never stood a chance - than those happening in a few places - for example Labour supporters moving LibDem in its few targets. The latter relies on influencing the relevant demographics, which will pick up some of it - such Lab to LibDem tactical voters are likely to be educated people living in middle class areas - but spread it too widely across the model.
    Thanks for your thoughts.

Interesting.
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    Any polls today other than the big one or are they all waiting for tomorrow now?
  • Options
    Interesting that this report suggests the first YouGov MRP was leaked ahead of the initial release. Is that generally thought to be the case?
    https://www.poundsterlinglive.com/gbp-live-today/12518-gbp-to-eur-and-usd-final-mrp-poll
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    Chris said:

Interesting that this report suggests the first YouGov MRP was leaked ahead of the initial release. Is that generally thought to be the case?
    https://www.poundsterlinglive.com/gbp-live-today/12518-gbp-to-eur-and-usd-final-mrp-poll

I recall there being a sharp move one day recently, but I can't remember if that was just prior to the first MRP release.
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,934
    Brom said:

Any polls today other than the big one or are they all waiting for tomorrow now?

I think Kantar but not sure
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244
    Sterling still steady as she goes, in fact just bounced off 1.3170, the highest point since May. I assume this is the Yougov print lad buying his summer Magaluf money early, having seen tonight's MRP already.
  • Options
    17 of the 25 biggest increases in electorate are in safe Labour seats.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

As I said yesterday evening, my impression is that this infatuation with likes and views is very misleading. The Neil empty chair was hyped as being a huge blow to the Conservatives and then their vote share went up. Just like the marches and petitions earlier in the year this counting of views and likes is ultimately pointless as - so far - it changes nothing. Even when perhaps it should.

Why is this? Because the sorts of people who are going to go and look at this sort of video clip are generally going to be those who already dislike the Tories. They are going to share it with their friends who hold the same views. They are going to watch it multiple times and talk about it in the echo chambers of facebook and twitter. It changes nothing.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,435
    edited December 2019
    Chris said:

It wasn’t leaked, it was discussed at a presentation for political scientists, bloggers, and journalists a few hours before the official release.

No presentation is scheduled today.

(Well I’ve not received an invite this time.)
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    "On the Today programme this morning Nigel Farage, the Brexit party leader, said that Boris Johnson’s Brexit plan would take the UK into “years of negotiation”. It would not amount to getting Brexit done, he claimed.

I do believe that, unless we get a Brexit party voice in the House of Commons, we are not going to get a realistic Brexit because he’ll push through this new EU treaty as it is."

This could be slightly damaging for Boris, given Farage's status as the sage and originator of Brexit, and the centrality of the "Get Brexit Done" message. Nigel seems to have gone full rogue for the Tories since the Annunziata Rees-Mogg incident.
  • Options
    PeterCPeterC Posts: 1,274

Is it? Why do you think that? The PLP can't just appoint another leader. There is an elaborate procedure to be followed.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,548
    That graph is *not* something of which I need to be reminded :-) .
  • Options
    RobD said:

Chris said:

I recall there being a sharp move one day recently, but I can't remember if that was just prior to the first MRP release.
    Just had a check, that was on Dec 4th, and not prior to the MRP. Sorry!
  • Options
    BluerBlue said:

Jonathan said:

Which number will be greater - the number of views your tedious viral videos get, or the number of votes Labour gets in the election?

How's the Andrew Neil video doing by the way? We've missed your updates.
    Given CCHQ hired a specialist social media team for this election, it probably does consider these things are important.
  • Options
    BluerBlue said:

Jonathan said:

When will the Tories catch on to the fact that contemptuous arrogance isn't a good look - especially when it concerns sick children lying on hospital floors?
  • Options
    MattW said:

That graph is *not* something of which I need to be reminded :-) .

There was no election in 2017.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

This issue hasn't been discussed enough recently - they could be important again.
    Indeed, would love to see a no deal 31 Jan market on bf for hedging purposes.
  • Options
    Tories focusing on the closeness of the race, and how a Hung Parliament could install Corbyn even if he's miles behind in seats.

That, plus yesterday's phoneygate smears, should put the fear of Cob in any Tory waverers and help GOTV.
  • Options
    PeterC said:

Is it? Why do you think that? The PLP can't just appoint another leader. There is an elaborate procedure to be followed.
    If he is not in number 10 he will go.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,990
    edited December 2019
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Johnson is the worst kind of bully. Superficially charming, but entitled and arrogant. He uses people, lashes out and even acts unlawfully when things don't go well for him. It's all ok as far as he is concerned, because he is Boris. That alone is justification for him.

We saw another glimpse of that yesterday. He should not be let near number 10, let alone with a majority.

I wonder if yesterday came in time to do some damage. Boris did NOT look good.
    Conversely, in the opinion of self & wife, Corbyn came across well on BBBC this morning. Civilised, calm. Bit like Major really.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    Chris said:

Pretty sure it's happening with several of the polls, but there doesn't seem to be much evidence of it on the GBPUSD charts for last MRP - although maybe there wouldn't be, given it was in line with other polls.
  • Options

Chris said:

It wasn’t leaked, it was discussed at a presentation for political scientists, bloggers, and journalists a few hours before the official release.

Out of the loop!!!
  • Options

Chris said:

I thought the results were omitted from the presentation, though. The audience wasn't trusted?
  • Options
    nunu2nunu2 Posts: 1,453

No it isnt.
  • Options

PeterC said:

If he is not in number 10 he will go.
    Whether or not he makes it to no. 10, he has been very successful at completely changing the direction of the Labour party. If one of his acolytes makes it as next leader, I doubt he'll be that unhappy with it overall!
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,102
    edited December 2019

Jonathan said:

Will you guarantee you will still be posting on this forum after friday and beyond like the rest of us

Why does he(?) have to guarantee you anything?
  • Options
    melcfmelcf Posts: 166

Thank god that the boy wasn't Brexit. Would have been oven ready
  • Options
    Down the M1 turn right!
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Why does he have to guarantee you anything?
    He will be - it's obvious those that won't because they don't actually engage in conversation or debate. Such as our short-term visitor who went down in flames of glory over the weekend, for example!
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Of course he doesn't. We're just speculating on what seat totals might prompt him to resign... :wink:
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Of course he doesn't but it is a fair question
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

I think jubilant Tories should be very concerned about five years of Johnson as prime minister. Not that there's much chance they can do anything about it if he gets a majority.
  • Options
    Chris said:

Chris said:

I thought the results were omitted from the presentation, though. The audience wasn't trusted?
    If you had your wits about you then you could glean from the plethora of information presented (as well the 2017 MRP) that the Blue Meanies were on course for a majority of 50-80.
  • Options
    PeterC said:

The PLP don't appoint anyone. But what can be easily done is a temporary leader can stand in - and since McDonnell and Watson will go that leaves Starmer.
  • Options
    Financially this has already been my most successful election by a street. A pretty big buy of Tory seats at 324 before selling at 345. And a sell of Lib Dem seats at 44 which in hindsight I backed out of much to soon. But very nice profit in the bag.

I'm now sitting nicely in the green on Betfair with a bet on Tory majority. And once again debating whether to take money off the table.

My head says comfortable Tory majority, but I look at the ICM polls and Comres and ask what if they are right and Labour outperform. Really can't see it but it is possible. Against that we have the other polls showing comfortable Tory leads and anecdotals from Labour canvassing that don't exactly point to out performance.

Incidentally, I inhabit a world in real life where literally no-one I work with or socialise with is voting Tory or at least no-one will admit to it. Classic bubble which in no way reflects the real world. Within that group there are a small minority of Corbynites who still have the zealotry of true believers. The vast majority think he's an absolute disaster. A few flirting with voting Plaid, but clear that come Thursday almost every vote will go in the red box.

I have a feeling the Labour vote might he spectacularly inefficient this time round with votes piling up in safe metropolitan seats and collapsing elsewhere.

I hope that with Brexit out of the way Johnson might feel able to govern in the mantle of a Liberal, one nation Tory but I won't hold my breath.
  • Options
    How good or bad a job do you think the following politicians are doing?

Johnson:

Bad 42%
    Good 38%
    Neither 16%
    Don't know 4%

Corbyn:

Bad 56%
    Good 24%
    Neither 15%
    Don't know 5%

Swinson:

Bad 44%
    Neither 27%
    Good 19%
    Don't know 10%

Panelbase 4-6 Dec
    #GE2019 #bbcr4today
  • Options
    Chris said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

I think jubilant Tories should be very concerned about five years of Johnson as prime minister. Not that there's much chance they can do anything about it if he gets a majority.
    Why? He was a very decent mayor of London for 8 years. Just look at the disaster Khan has been by comparison.
  • Options

Chris said:

Chris said:

If you had your wits about you then you could glean from the plethora of information presented (as well the 2017 MRP) that the Blue Meanies were on course for a majority of 50-80.
    OK, thanks. I obviously didn't have my wits about me when I was trying to sift the speculation by those reading the runes after the presentation.
  • Options
    Breaking

Adam Boulton making an unreserved apology to Boris Johnson

Now that is a surprise

• Options

Jonathan said:

Of course he doesn't but it is a fair question
    I'll still be here, I know you'd be very happy getting rid of all of the left-wing voices and turning this into even more of an echo chamber than it already is but I am afraid I won't be going anywhere.
  • Options
    On a (small) point of (utterly unimportant) order, the Sheffield rally was on the Wednesday before election week, not the Friday :smiley:

(I actually thought it was the week of the election.. but apparently not)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheffield_Rally
This discussion has been closed.