Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Starmer starting to pull away in the Corbyn successor betting

Comments

• Options

The one thing that Starmer will have going for him is that the labor leadership has not used him during this campaign and so he will not be as assocaited with its consequences as Long Bailey and Pidcock. Against that, he will not be the Momentum candidate and he is a bloke.

Starmer would be the best in that he'd bring the party together.
    But he's not going to bring the party to the centre again, he isn't a Blairite. Anyone thinking he's going to be very centrist hasn't read much of his past or views. He'll be somewhere between Ed and Corbyn.

I agree. Labour is not going back to Blairism. That's no bad thing. The challenges the country faces now are very different to the ones we faced in the 2lst century and we need new kinds of thinking. The solutions Corbynism proscribes are, of course, very much of the 1970s.

• Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Ave_it said:

Starmer is the future as Pidcock, Rayner and Long Bailey will scare off all the moderate potential LAB voters everywhere!

Even though Starmer is entirely built on a golden spoon background and is a much use as a pink lemon.

Could be LAB maj 150 in 2024!

Starmer is a British Bill Shorten, better than Corbyn but a charisma bypass and no match for Boris. He would win a few more Tory Remainers and LDs to Labour but Leavers would stay Tory

That rather depends on what the Tories do with the next five years, I'd have thought.

Nope, culturally most Leavers will vote Tory over Labour now regardless

I love the smell of hubris in the morning. I am not wishing it on a single one of them, but it is a simple fact that over the next five years a lot of Leave voters are going to die. My advice to the Tories - which I am sure will be ignored - is not to keep on fighting the referendum, but instead begin to engage with the 21st century and the challenges it presents.
    We won't need to keep on fighting the Referendum.
    We'll be fighting Rejoin. If anybody can still be arsed to make the case....
    I don't think we will, because of your final half of the sentence.
    Once we've left the government has years to tackle the important issues of society - for starters continue to ensure more people own their own home, tackle the thorny issue of student finances, try and make sure the younger generations can move on and be engaged within society and not feel like the Boomers have everything.
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819
    Can't see it being Starmer. He's wooden and not a favourite of the left wing membership. Not so long ago I would have said Thornberry as the best realistic option (someone like Yvette Cooper will have no chance) but she seems to have been unpersoned by the leadership these days. McDonnell himself would be a likely choice if the defeat was fairly small, beatable by the next election. That would leave Labour in a One More Heave mode which favours him. If its a bigger defeat, more chance one of Pidcock, Rayner or Long Bailey (the three clearly being prepped by Corbyn and McDonnell to take over) as it would be more about a new (still left wing) approach and so finally time to go with a woman.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

Ave_it said:

CAUTION!

CORBYN could be PM in 10 days time!

Any vote for LAB LD SNP GRN and PC is a vote for a hard left CORBYNISTA government. Don't do it!

You're on the wrong site.
    We respond better on here if there's at least an attempt at logical argument.
    Fuck off. Ave It is a great PB institution.
    Well said Sean Byron.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    Omnium said:

I do think he's the best Labour have got, but that's not saying much, and for the reasons above I can't see him getting the job.

He's a bit dull, but perhaps the electorate might be receptive to a more serious politician after five years of Johnson.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,226

Ok, dems and weird Republican husbands of crackpot Conway women are all about attacking trump and not disowning Obama's Nonce in Chief

A post was moderated yesterday for asking if the rumour that "Boris" was an alky was true.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

HYUFD said:
    Not doing so well in Scotland, needless to say. Falling behind mitteleuropa in maths and science. Be interesting to see how much coverage the stats get in the Scottish press given Nicola's pledge that it is her number one priority and the pride Scots take in education.

Don't think Southron posters appreciate how vulnerable SNP will be over 'elf and edukayshon in the run up to the 2021 SP elections.
    Shame it doesn't count for a hill of turnips against the call for Yet Another Bloody Referendum in 2019 though....
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,643
    kinabalu said:

Ok, dems and weird Republican husbands of crackpot Conway women are all about attacking trump and not disowning Obama's Nonce in Chief

A post was moderated yesterday for asking if the rumour that "Boris" was an alky was true.
    @wooliedyed seems to aspire to be the Brexiteer version of Tom Watson.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

kinabalu said:

madmacs said:

From my limited knowledge of Labour, members I know in my area think the Labour left wing manifesto is great but just believe another more voter friendly left wing leader is the answer.

I'm a member and I agree with this. There is no need to lose the radical edge. Quite the opposite, it is vital it is retained. If this election is lost it will be because of Brexit and the persona of Jeremy Corbyn being too niche. Next election, those two things being out of the picture, is winnable on a left wing manifesto. It would be a great mistake to go back to the timid tinkering lack of ambition of pre 2015. That almost every committed Tory on here says that we should do this speaks for itself.
    When labour lose it will because of ridiculous nationalization plans and retrograde return of power to trade unions. Without those policies the rest may have gained traction.
    If they were scaled down to be plausibly affordable. Corbyn's other (non-economic) ideological fixations are a also turn-off to those who pay attention.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,829

I love the smell of hubris in the morning. I am not wishing it on a single one of them, but it is a simple fact that over the next five years a lot of Leave voters are going to die...

It does not work like that. It is true that a lot of elderly people will die, but a lot more will age up to take their place. The population pyramid will continue to become more top heavy over the next decade or two, and if inward migration is reduced as a result of Brexit then that will exacerbate the situation, since immigrants are younger than the population. If Labour is pinning it's hopes on demography it has a rude awakening incoming.

• Options

I've been advocating Starmer as next leader for at least a couple of years.

My 2nd choice would be Jess Phillips.

I think Phillips would be a much better choice than Starmer. I really like Starmer in terms of his views and intellect but having met him I can confirm that he sadly has zero charisma. In today's media environment he would be a disaster as leader.
    Has Labour lost its E&W heartlands permanently? I doubt it. The Tories are no SNP. A lot of so-called traditional Labour voters have always been ferociously right wing on non-economic issues. I suspect that once Brexit recedes as an issue many of them will come back. Not at the levels they were before (bear in mind they started drifting away under Blair, who was seen as pandering to middle England, and the decline of traditional industries and trade unionism has loosened their attachment to the Labour movement).
    But I don't see how the Tories keep them onside permanently given their economic philosophy is basically to throw these people to the wolves, and they don't have such powerful wedge issues (like abortion or affirmative action) as in the US to keep getting the working class to vote against their own interests.
    FWIW I always thought Corbyn would bomb with many of these voters which is why I didn't want him as leader.
  • Options
    alb1onalb1on Posts: 698

The one thing that Starmer will have going for him is that the labor leadership has not used him during this campaign and so he will not be as assocaited with its consequences as Long Bailey and Pidcock. Against that, he will not be the Momentum candidate and he is a bloke.

Starmer would be the best in that he'd bring the party together.
    But he's not going to bring the party to the centre again, he isn't a Blairite. Anyone thinking he's going to be very centrist hasn't read much of his past or views. He'll be somewhere between Ed and Corbyn.

I agree. Labour is not going back to Blairism. That's no bad thing. The challenges the country faces now are very different to the ones we faced in the 2lst century and we need new kinds of thinking. The solutions Corbynism proscribes are, of course, very much of the 1970s.

Surely you mean 1870s? Das Kapital was published 1867.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

As should this one be. MODS!!!!
  • Options

Nigelb said:
    Lol the dems would much rather attack Trump than disown Obama's chief nonce
    G.Conway is a Rep and married to Kellyanne isn't he?
    Apols for providing a minor impediment to one of your recurring themes.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

Ave_it said:

CAUTION!

Any vote for LAB LD SNP GRN and PC is a vote for a hard left CORBYNISTA government. Don't do it!

How would you know, you've only been around since May.
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760

Further update on tactical voting (from the Guardian blog):

Almost a third of voters now say they will vote tactically in the election, according to polling carried out for the Electoral Reform Society (ERS), with the proportion rising rapidly.

The polling by BMG found 30% of people said they would be “voting for the best-positioned party/candidate to keep out another party/candidate that I dislike” on 12 December. This is up from 22% saying this at the start of the election campaign, and 24% in a parallel poll last week.

Only 51% of people said they would pick “the candidate/party I most prefer, regardless of how likely they are to win”.

This will help the Tories too if it means BXP voters swing behind them.
  • Options
    DeClareDeClare Posts: 483

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Ave_it said:

Starmer is the future as Pidcock, Rayner and Long Bailey will scare off all the moderate potential LAB voters everywhere!

Even though Starmer is entirely built on a golden spoon background and is a much use as a pink lemon.

Starmer is a British Bill Shorten, better than Corbyn but a charisma bypass and no match for Boris. He would win a few more Tory Remainers and LDs to Labour but Leavers would stay Tory

That rather depends on what the Tories do with the next five years, I'd have thought.

I love the smell of hubris in the morning. I am not wishing it on a single one of them, but it is a simple fact that over the next five years a lot of Leave voters are going to die. My advice to the Tories - which I am sure will be ignored - is not to keep on fighting the referendum, but instead begin to engage with the 21st century and the challenges it presents.
    But the remain voters will be five years older and some would have turned into leavers.
    In the 1975 referendum the electorate voted decisively for remain, the survivors from that were all over the age 59 by the time the 2016 referendum came around.
    But we know that this age group voted leave by a large majority.

• Options
    ByronicByronic Posts: 3,578

Byronic said:

Ave_it said:

CAUTION!

I lurked during my peak modelling years. As I've told you many times.
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,934
    Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

@wooliedyed seems to aspire to be the Brexiteer version of Tom Watson.
    Biden makes it easy with all the videos of him creeping on and sniffing the hair of little girls and declaring he loves children on his lap and how they would stroke the hair on his legs to straighten it and watch it curl up.
  • Options

Can't see it being Starmer. He's wooden and not a favourite of the left wing membership. Not so long ago I would have said Thornberry as the best realistic option (someone like Yvette Cooper will have no chance) but she seems to have been unpersoned by the leadership these days. McDonnell himself would be a likely choice if the defeat was fairly small, beatable by the next election. That would leave Labour in a One More Heave mode which favours him. If its a bigger defeat, more chance one of Pidcock, Rayner or Long Bailey (the three clearly being prepped by Corbyn and McDonnell to take over) as it would be more about a new (still left wing) approach and so finally time to go with a woman.

He may be wooden, but not compared with L-B and Pidcock. And Burgon makes him look like Ken Dodd on speed.
  • Options
    PaulMPaulM Posts: 613
    If Labour don't win , would there be a backlash against leadership candidates from London ? They seem to have run a national campaign, not least the Brexit policy, focused on competing with London LibDems, rather than Tories in the North and MIdlands. The commuter fares policy likewise.
    The election should be winnable, but after watching that channel 4 focus group from Birmingham, if I was a Northern/Midlands Labour candidate I'd be livid with Islington Labour.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,729
    edited December 2019
    Take a look at Finchley and Golders Green.
    Some money today on Labour with a couple of bookies - down to 4/1. That fact, and after looking at past GE results, makes me think that the 16/1 (Bet365) on Labour is too big.
    I`ve had a small bet.
  • Options
    Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411
    Byronic said:

Byronic said:

Ave_it said:

CAUTION!

:lol:

• Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,010
    Byronic said:

Ave_it said:

CAUTION!

Yes, in the great tradition of Tim – and the long-lost SeanT: we may never see his like again.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969
    edited December 2019
    Byronic said:

Byronic said:

Ave_it said:

CAUTION!

Modelling? Byronic is Baxter confirmed.
  • Options
    alb1on said:

He may be wooden, but not compared with L-B and Pidcock. And Burgon makes him look like Ken Dodd on speed.

C'mon, Pidcock is many things but certainly not wooden.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,829

If we are talking about The Man Who Did Not Kill Himself, hasn't he been photographed with Trump several times? Obama hasn't been in office for approx three years.

• Options
    Stocky said:

Some money today on Labour with a couple of bookies - down to 4/1. That fact, and after looking at past GE results, makes me think that the 16/1 (Bet365) on Labour is too big.
    I`ve had a small bet.

Bizarre. Given the constituency polls and the general level of antipathy to Labour in London and the south (especially that part of London) I would want 50-1 to risk money. The bookies must be delighted.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

I love the smell of hubris in the morning. I am not wishing it on a single one of them, but it is a simple fact that over the next five years a lot of Leave voters are going to die...

It does not work like that. It is true that a lot of elderly people will die, but a lot more will age up to take their place. The population pyramid will continue to become more top heavy over the next decade or two, and if inward migration is reduced as a result of Brexit then that will exacerbate the situation, since immigrants are younger than the population. If Labour is pinning it's hopes on demography it has a rude awakening incoming.

I am merely expaining why it is not a great idea for the Tories to rely on Leave voters to deliver majorities from here on in.

• Options
    ClippPClippP Posts: 1,687

Ave_it said:

CAUTION! CORBYN could be PM in 10 days time!

Ave It never does provide logical argument. That is why I thought in real life he might be Boris Johnson.
  • Options
    alb1on said:

Stocky said:

I`ve had a small bet.

Bizarre. Given the constituency polls and the general level of antipathy to Labour in London and the south (especially that part of London) I would want 50-1 to risk money. The bookies must be delighted.
    I wondered whether Hugh Grant is pissing off potential LD voters.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,786
    Sandpit said:

Most of the new rough sleepers in Central London over the last two or three years are English people from outside London, as I've observed for a long time.
    This phenomenon is spreading outside central london to other parts of the capital now.

Can’t we speak to these people, and find out what we can do for them? Most of them will have friends or family somewhere and might simply benefit from a bus ticket. Others will have mental health or addiction problems and need more intensive management, but we should do everything we can do help them. There will be a few for whom it’s just a way of life, and we should make sure they get sufficient food and have the opportunity to get off the streets if they want to take it.
    I'd suggest that most of the rough sleepers that one encounters in central London are nothing of the kind. These people make a business out of appearing to be poor. Unfortunately they position themselves in front of the genuine rough sleepers.
    You can easily see this by giving beggars a large rather than a small amount. Genuine hard-luck cases when given 50 quid will go and get warm, or eat, or something. The others will just pocket it and move on to the next mug. The latter is my standard experience.
  • Options
    Good afternoon, everyone.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

alb1on said:

C'mon, Pidcock is many things but certainly not wooden.
    I guess it is in the eye of the beholder. The only Labour figures who seem to have a personality other than their party mask seem to be Thornberry and Phillips.
  • Options
    DeClare said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Ave_it said:

I love the , but instead begin to engage with the 21st century and the challenges it presents.
    But the remain voters will be five years older and some would have turned into leavers.
    In the 1975 referendum the electorate voted decisively for remain, the survivors from that were all over the age 59 by the time the 2016 referendum came around.

DeClare said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Ave_it said:

I l21st century and the challenges it presents.

We'll see. I do not think it is a good idea for the Tories to base their strategy for future elections on refighting the referendum. I doubt it will be good for them. It will definitely be very bad for the country as a whole.

• Options
    Byronic said:

Byronic said:

Ave_it said:

CAUTION!

I'm not entirely convinced that you could keep your gob shut for years, regardless of the gruelling schedule of underpant wearing.
  • Options
    edited December 2019

kinabalu said:

Why? We are all freely discussing Andrew in this respect, the rumours about Biden are out there too and his behaviour around children in videos widely on the net is decidedly creepy. And yesterday we had the video about loving children on his lap. Its hardly a new accusation.

However if moderators feel its inappropriate then by all means delete it all.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Sandpit said:

Most of the new rough sleepers in Central London over the last two or three years are English people from outside London, as I've observed for a long time.
    This phenomenon is spreading outside central london to other parts of the capital now.

Can’t we speak to these people, and find out what we can do for them? Most of them will have friends or family somewhere and might simply benefit from a bus ticket. Others will have mental health or addiction problems and need more intensive management, but we should do everything we can do help them. There will be a few for whom it’s just a way of life, and we should make sure they get sufficient food and have the opportunity to get off the streets if they want to take it.
    I'd suggest that most of the rough sleepers that one encounters in central London are nothing of the kind. These people make a business out of appearing to be poor. Unfortunately they position themselves in front of the genuine rough sleepers.
    You can easily see this by giving beggars a large rather than a small amount. Genuine hard-luck cases when given 50 quid will go and get warm, or eat, or something. The others will just pocket it and move on to the next mug. The latter is my standard experience.
    No. Elements of what you say might be true for a minority, but homelessness has indisputably risen since 2010, as anyone who works in London will have seen. That it has risen like that should be a stain on the conscience of all Tories and Liberals, and as a nation we should do what it takes to help them.
  • Options
    SNP drifting in Aberdeen South. At the start of the campaign Con Hold was 2/1. Now EVS. The sacking of the pest Ross Thomson ex-MP was a wise move.
    Best prices:
    SNP 10/11
    SCon EVS
    SLD 100/1
    SLab 100/1
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Why? We are all freely discussing Andrew in this respect, the rumours about Biden are out there too and his behaviour around children in videos widely on the net is decidedly creepy. And yesterday we had the video about loving children on his lap. Its hardly a new accusation.

I think MarqueeMark may have been referring to kinabalu`s cheeky insertion?
    If you`ll pardon the expression.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,984

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

Ave_it said:

CAUTION!

I'm not entirely convinced that you could keep your gob shut for years, regardless of the gruelling schedule of underpant wearing.
    I don't think anyone believes the underpant modelling story anymore.

It's less convincing than Robert Del Naja denying he is Banksy - at least Robert can blame other band members.
  • Options
    edited December 2019

SNP drifting in Aberdeen South. At the start of the campaign Con Hold was 2/1. Now EVS. The sacking of the pest Ross Thomson ex-MP was a wise move.
    Best prices:
    SNP 10/11
    SCon EVS
    SLD 100/1
    SLab 100/1

I got 6/4. I may have a bit more at Evens.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,081
    I’ve been informed today that Labour are not, in fact, giving up on Bishop and Darlo.
  • Options

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

Ave_it said:

CAUTION!

(Ssssshhhh...but - he wears his underpants on the OUTSIDE.
    Yep. Him....)
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Migration won't be reduced though, as it is needed because of the ageing society (the great irony is that all these old people who hate immigrants are the reason we need immigrants). We'll just get fewer of them from the EU, which is fine with me incidentally.
    (Of course you can manage without immigration if you really want to, but it is very hard. Even Japan has given up - their non-Japanese population has increased by about a million in the last five years).
  • Options
    ClippP said:

Ave_it said:

Ave It never does provide logical argument. That is why I thought in real life he might be Boris Johnson.
    Ave It is the Jackson Pollock of PB.com. You don't have to 'understand' him to get it.
  • Options
    ClippP said:

Ave_it said:

I've met both. No similarity at all....
    Can't imagine Boris supporting Watford. Unless they have a Real Tennis team.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

I think MarqueeMark may have been referring to kinabalu`s cheeky insertion?
    If you`ll pardon the expression.
    Oh. I'm a bit thick sometimes
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    edited December 2019
    Stocky said:

Best prices:
    SNP 10/11
    SCon EVS
    SLD 100/1
    SLab 100/1

Why?
    Do you have local knowledge?
    I’d be extremely wary due to large residual SLab numbers.
  • Options

I’ve been informed today that Labour are not, in fact, giving up on Bishop and Darlo.

Excellent. Resources wasted on lost causes.
  • Options
    Wondering if I should pop some money on LDs gaining Guildford
  • Options

They are still in their prayers.....
  • Options

viewcode said:

I am merely expaining why it is not a great idea for the Tories to rely on Leave voters to deliver majorities from here on in.

IF - and it's a big IF - Brexit is done, then as an issue it will quickly fade. There will be a Rejoin faction, but I don't see it driving our politics for quite a while. The urge to forget about it will be too strong.

The big EU issue after Brexit will be join EEA/EFTA or not
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760

If they'd given up on Darlington it would be an admission they'd lost the election.
  • Options

Biden makes it easy with all the videos of him creeping on and sniffing the hair of little girls and declaring he loves children on his lap and how they would stroke the hair on his legs to straighten it and watch it curl up.

Mmm. But in the course of my monitoring of you I have noticed that you are more likely than most to comment on such matters.
  • Options

Omnium said:

Sandpit said:

No. Elements of what you say might be true for a minority, but homelessness has indisputably risen since 2010, as anyone who works in London will have seen. That it has risen like that should be a stain on the conscience of all Tories and Liberals, and as a nation we should do what it takes to help them.
    I don't see the evidence as you do. I have lived in London all my life, and the tricks are more than ever before.

Homelessness may have risen, but there are few plausible factors driving that rise. For people in the UK the safety net has never been higher - Tory government or otherwise.

• Options
    kinabalu said:

Mmm. But in the course of my monitoring of you I have noticed that you are more likely than most to comment on such matters.
    Creepy.
    I am very keen to see the rot at the heart of the establishment removed. I suspect many more will be keen to join that Q ;)
  • Options
    eek said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

Ave_it said:

CAUTION!

It's less convincing than Robert Del Naja denying he is Banksy - at least Robert can blame other band members.
    Why does it bleedin' matter? I fail to understand why any of you give a single tiny cosmonautical fuck who I really am. It's not like we're in a boring period of politics where there's nowt else to discuss!

Move on, fanbois. Move on.
  • Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,450
    Omnium said:

Sandpit said:

I'm afraid in some places it is clearly a racket with collectors going round picking up the takings. Sad but true.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

eek said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

Ave_it said:

CAUTION!

Why does it bleedin' matter? I fail to understand why any of you give a single tiny cosmonautical fuck who I really am. It's not like we're in a boring period of politics where there's nowt else to discuss!

Keep yer underpants on Sean.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Sandpit said:

The best thing to do is to donate to a shelter charity.

I don’t know how they deal with the drug addicts and individuals with behavioural problems denied access to some of them though.

Those do tend to be the ones on the streets and the trouble is, whilst they are often hungry, cold and in need of food, they’ll get something very simple with the money and then spend the rest on their addiction.
  • Options

Stocky said:

Best prices:
    SNP 10/11
    SCon EVS
    SLD 100/1
    SLab 100/1

Why?
    I think Aberdeen South is the most vulnerable SCon seat in the NE even though it has a larger maj than some of the others and lacks the SNP-voting history of Moray and Banff & Buchan. Due to it being very middle-class and remainy and the likelihood of SLAB voters breaking SNP - not so many in other seats. Even so I think it will be an uphill struggle for SNP to actually take it. Better opportunities further South.
  • Options

Omnium said:

Sandpit said:

I'm afraid in some places it is clearly a racket with collectors going round picking up the takings. Sad but true.
    Absolutely. Read Ben Judah's THIS IS LONDON.

He lived in that mileu for a few months. And slept rough on occasion. Many if not most of the rough sleepers in central London are East European (often Roma).

Some are just sleeping rough to save all the money they can, others are involved in a racket as you describe, some have been swindled by traffickers.

Very sad.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

viewcode said:

Migration won't be reduced though, as it is needed because of the ageing society (the great irony is that all these old people who hate immigrants are the reason we need immigrants). We'll just get fewer of them from the EU, which is fine with me incidentally.
    (Of course you can manage without immigration if you really want to, but it is very hard. Even Japan has given up - their non-Japanese population has increased by about a million in the last five years).
    What people will notice is a significant swing to the Indian sub continent and the West Indies rather than Eastern Europeans I’m not sure where the builders and farm labours are coming from. Apparently the UK is going to build 100,000 houses, 40 hospitals, finish x rail start hs2 and Heathrow third runway it’s going to be interesting.
  • Options

Omnium said:

Sandpit said:

The best thing to do is to donate to a shelter charity.

I don’t know how they deal with the drug addicts and individuals with behavioural problems denied access to some of them though.

Those do tend to be the ones on the streets and the trouble is, whilst they are often hungry, cold and in need of food, they’ll get something very simple with the money and then spend the rest on their addiction.
    Of course, and I do.

(My charitable donations are mostly in Africa.)
  • Options
    edited December 2019

Well I wasn't meaning that. It's more that I was surprised to see the "Boris with a drink problem?" post removed. It seemed relatively mild to me.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    I think Aberdeen South is more vulnerable than Banff, the only Scottish seat to vote leave.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

viewcode said:

What people will notice is a significant swing to the Indian sub continent and the West Indies rather than Eastern Europeans I’m not sure where the builders and farm labours are coming from. Apparently the UK is going to build 100,000 houses, 40 hospitals, finish x rail start hs2 and Heathrow third runway it’s going to be interesting.
    No, what will happen is we will still get migration from Eastern Europe but it will be managed, and they won't have residency rights, or automatic rights to benefits.

Which is what the country desires.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited December 2019
    Byronic said:

Omnium said:

Sandpit said:

He lived in that mileu for a few months. And slept rough on occasion. Many if not most of the rough sleepers in central London are East European (often Roma).

Some are just sleeping rough to save all the money they can, others are involved in a racket as you describe, some have been swindled by traffickers.

Very sad.
    We had exactly this conversation last Christmas, and this was incorrect as an over-simplification of a vastly complex situation then too.

There are unquestionably large numbers of new native-born rough sleepers in London over the last few years, and a combination of mental health services changes, addiction, ex-servicemen, and UC and welfare sanction changes are very likely to be the cause.
  • Options

Stocky said:

Best prices:
    SNP 10/11
    SCon EVS
    SLD 100/1
    SLab 100/1

Why?
    I think Aberdeen South is the most vulnerable SCon seat in the NE even though it has a larger maj than some of the others and lacks the SNP-voting history of Moray and Banff & Buchan. Due to it being very middle-class and remainy and the likelihood of SLAB voters breaking SNP - not so many in other seats. Even so I think it will be an uphill struggle for SNP to actually take it. Better opportunities further South.
    Agreed.
  • Options
    camelcamel Posts: 815
    kinabalu said:

Well I wasn't meaning that. It's more that I was surprised to see the "Boris with a drink problem?" post removed. It seemed relatively mild to me.
    The correct euphemism is 'Churchillian" which I doubt Johnson would seek to deny.
  • Options

HYUFD said:
    Not doing so well in Scotland, needless to say. Falling behind mitteleuropa in maths and science. Be interesting to see how much coverage the stats get in the Scottish press given Nicola's pledge that it is her number one priority and the pride Scots take in education.

Don't think Southron posters appreciate how vulnerable SNP will be over 'elf and edukayshon in the run up to the 2021 SP elections.
    Shame it doesn't count for a hill of turnips against the call for Yet Another Bloody Referendum in 2019 though....
    Maybe. But by 2021 SNP will have been in for 15 years. People are already groaning about IndyRef. May see them through 12 Dec but not so sure afterwards. And then, of course, will Nicola still be around? No obvious successor at Holyrood at all.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,290
    Byronic said:

eek said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

Ave_it said:

CAUTION!

It matters because this is a discussion site and you are posting stuff here that is quite obviously untrue. If you want to stay anonymous just make political comment and don’t say anything about your life.
  • Options
    PeterCPeterC Posts: 1,274
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

madmacs said:

From my limited knowledge of Labour, members I know in my area think the Labour left wing manifesto is great but just believe another more voter friendly left wing leader is the answer. They revile any links to Tony Blair. I would not put any money on Keir Starmer and still think Rebecca Long-Bailey the most likely.

If true, a gift to the LDs after a heavy Labour defeat
    Unfortunately it isn't looking that way. At best a slim Tory majority and Labour will be convinced with Brexit uncertainty ahead and most like a global recession that it will just require one more heave in a few years time.

And....I think the way the wind appears to be blowing, the Lib Dem taking a left-centre social and a centre / centre-right economic party is going to struggle.
    Labour is heading for its worst defeat since Foot 1983, thanks to losses of scores of seats North of Watford.

Then Labour recovered by taking on Militant under Kinnock then New Labour under Blair, had it not the SDP could have overtaken it being just 2% behind in 1983.

If the LDs get a leader from Labour like Roy Jenkins was e.g. Umunna with no connection to the Coalition then Labour is doomed if it embraces Momentum further rather than taking it on
    What is your call on Chingford, HY?
  • Options
    alb1on said:

I guess it is in the eye of the beholder. The only Labour figures who seem to have a personality other than their party mask seem to be Thornberry and Phillips.

Yes, they both do. And Pidcock too IMO. Very much so. I know it's not a popular view but I sense a political star in the making.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    On topic, clearly Laura Pidcock should be the next Labour Leader. Apart from her socialist credentials and spunky personality, Laura has a masters degree in disaster management which might prove handy.

It clearly has to be a woman. Long Bailey is a charisma vacuum and Rayner, for all her many attributes and her great back story, isn't as intellectually capable as Pidcock or Long Bailey.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    Byronic said:

nichomar said:

viewcode said:

No, what will happen is we will still get migration from Eastern Europe but it will be managed, and they won't have residency rights, or automatic rights to benefits.

So what makes you think they would want to come if it was not a long term prospect.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I think Aberdeen South is more vulnerable than Banff, the only Scottish seat to vote leave.

Read somewhere that Caithness, Sutherland and Easter Ross might have voted for leave. Ironic as it has a LibDem MP.
  • Options
    camel said:

On topic, clearly Laura Pidcock should be the next Labour Leader. Apart from her socialist credentials and spunky personality, Laura has a masters degree in disaster management which might prove handy.

You mean Labour would be a complete disaster under her management?
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092

Further update on tactical voting (from the Guardian blog):

Almost a third of voters now say they will vote tactically in the election, according to polling carried out for the Electoral Reform Society (ERS), with the proportion rising rapidly.

The polling by BMG found 30% of people said they would be “voting for the best-positioned party/candidate to keep out another party/candidate that I dislike” on 12 December. This is up from 22% saying this at the start of the election campaign, and 24% in a parallel poll last week.

Only 51% of people said they would pick “the candidate/party I most prefer, regardless of how likely they are to win”.

Good thing they have polling experts to help them make an informed decision
  • Options

Byronic said:

Omnium said:

Sandpit said:

Can’t we speak to these people, and find out what we can do for them? Most of them will have f if they want to take it.
    I'd suggestence.

Very sad.
    We had exactly this conversation last Christmas, and this was incorrect as an over-simplificaton of a vastly complex situation then too.
    "UK nationals accounted for 49% of rough sleepers in the capital. Rough sleepers from central European countries, including Romania, Poland, Lithuania and Bulgaria accounted for 31% of the total."

"Romanian nationals have been identified as the fastest growing group of rough sleepers across Greater London and particularly within the City of Westminster. According to official data, at the end of March 2015, there were 1,388 Romanian rough sleepers. This represents 18.7% of all rough sleepers in Greater London, second only to UK nationals. The data also shows a sharp rise in the number and of percentage of Romanian rough sleepers thought to be of Roma ethnicity. "

"The count last year found that 64 per cent of UK rough sleepers were British, seven percentage points LESS than the year before, and 22 per cent were from other EU countries, UP by six points."

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/rough-sleeping-in-capital-rises-13-8j7gvrz75

https://blogs.lse.ac.uk/brexit/2018/01/25/why-some-eastern-europeans-are-driven-to-sleep-rough/
  • Options
    camel said:

It clearly has to be a woman. Long Bailey is a charisma vacuum and Rayner, for all her many attributes and her great back story, isn't as intellectually capable as Pidcock or Long Bailey.

Shes at very high risk of losing her seat. The Kantar poll today for example would see her lose by a few %. I think shes a goner
  • Options
    nichomar said:

Byronic said:

nichomar said:

viewcode said:

So what makes you think they would want to come if it was not a long term prospect.
    Money?
  • Options
    camel said:

Is it just me or does Long Bailey look and sound like a refugee from a Wallace and Gromit movie? Sorry if that is ungallant but we have to be realistic in this forum. She is completely incredible as a potential PM.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929

Pulpstar said:

Read somewhere that Caithness, Sutherland and Easter Ross might have voted for leave. Ironic as it has a LibDem MP.
    True according to Hanretty actually. Banff was the 'most leave' though. West Aberdeen Kincardine surprisingly remain too.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Byronic said:

eek said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

Ave_it said:

CAUTION!

It matters because this is a discussion site and you are posting stuff here that is quite obviously untrue. If you want to stay anonymous just make political comment and don’t say anything about your life.
    Er, I'll do what the fuck I like. The mods run the site, not you. If they want to ban me, or whatever, that's up to them.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

Byronic said:

nichomar said:

viewcode said:

The anti-immigration brigade talk about Australian Points System when they really mean Gulf-State Slave system where you import the workers, make them work, give them no support and hurl them out when done with them.
  • Options

camel said:

Is it just me or does Long Bailey look and sound like a refugee from a Wallace and Gromit movie? Sorry if that is ungallant but we have to be realistic in this forum. She is completely incredible as a potential PM.
    I'm a Manc, and her accent is grating to me. There are loads of great regional accents in the north, but she has developed a very exaggerated one.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,643
    edited December 2019
    Byronic said:

Pseudonymous or not, I don't really care.
    But if someone spends several years arguing in a provocative and trenchant manner, they establish a voice on the site. Should they then repudiate every opinion they've ever expressed by dint of claiming to be someone else, then it should not come as a complete surprise to them that they get the piss taken.
    Purely hypothetically, of course.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited December 2019
    Byronic said:

Byronic said:

Omnium said:

Sandpit said:

Can’t we speak to these people, and find out what we can do for them? Most of them will have f if they want to take it.
    I'd suggestence.

Very sad.
    We had exactly this conversation last Christmas, and this was incorrect as an over-simplificaton of a vastly complex situation then too.
    "UK nationals accounted for 49% of rough sleepers in the capital. Rough sleepers from central European countries, including Romania, Poland, Lithuania and Bulgaria accounted for 31% of the total."

"Romanian nationals have been identified as the fastest growing group of rough sleepers across Greater London and particularly within the City of Westminster. According to official data, at the end of March 2015, there were 1,388 Romanian rough sleepers. This represents 18.7% of all rough sleepers in Greater London, second only to UK nationals. The data also shows a sharp rise in the number and of percentage of Romanian rough sleepers thought to be of Roma ethnicity. "

"The count last year found that 64 per cent of UK rough sleepers were British, seven percentage points LESS than the year before, and 22 per cent were from other EU countries, UP by six points."

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/rough-sleeping-in-capital-rises-13-8j7gvrz75

https://blogs.lse.ac.uk/brexit/2018/01/25/why-some-eastern-europeans-are-driven-to-sleep-rough/
    Your pre-UC changes data seems to already show British-born rough sleepers in London at around half in 2015, even before most of the service cuts and welfare changes had taken effect. What people have noticed very specifically in the last three years is large numbers of new 'provincial' English homeless in the capital. I'd be very surprised if the actual current figure wasn't closer to 60%, 70% or more.
  • Options

camel said:

Shes at very high risk of losing her seat. The Kantar poll today for example would see her lose by a few %. I think shes a goner
    Well if Pidcock does lose her seat, that's meltdown territoriy and I think we'd be looking at 2 election cycles to see another Labour PM. It will be a shame for her, I think she's good and will get better.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

True according to Hanretty actually. Banff was the 'most leave' though. West Aberdeen Kincardine surprisingly remain too.
    My "shock" result of the election is Con gain CSER. The Caithness section of the seat just looks so much like the sort of place that could dramatically switch to the Tories. However even I would be shocked if it happened!
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,290
    Byronic said:

IanB2 said:

Byronic said:

eek said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

Ave_it said:

CAUTION!

Er, I'll do what the fuck I like. The mods run the site, not you. If they want to ban me, or whatever, that's up to them.
    Fine, but then if you pretend to be someone you are not, or not to be someone that you are, stop complaining when PB’ers call you out. They’d do the same with any other PB’er who was rumbled spinning fantasies about themselves here.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,997

HYUFD said:

Tory frothers getting agitated that SNP are ever more popular , who would have thought it. What a pair of sour pusses. Have a look at your lying cheating party, UK in the toilet , English NHS crap, tuition fees, food banks , homeless , I could go on for hours yet you idiots whine about a miniscule of a % drop in an average.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,289
    edited December 2019
    Tactical voting answer implies large true support for LDs, BXP and Greens.
    Vast, vast majority are voting Con or Lab. If Con or Lab is actually many people's 2nd choice, then their 1st choice must be LD, BXP or Green.
  • Options

camel said:

I'm a Manc, and her accent is grating to me. There are loads of great regional accents in the north, but she has developed a very exaggerated one.
    Rebecca Long Vowels. I hate long vowels. Not sure how they go down generally.
  • Options
    Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411
    malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

Tory frothers getting agitated that SNP are ever more popular , who would have thought it. What a pair of sour pusses. Have a look at your lying cheating party, UK in the toilet , English NHS crap, tuition fees, food banks , homeless , I could go on for hours yet you idiots whine about a miniscule of a % drop in an average.
    CON gain Argyll & Bute?
  • Options

The anti-immigration brigade talk about Australian Points System when they really mean Gulf-State Slave system where you import the workers, make them work, give them no support and hurl them out when done with them.

I'm not sure that this new movement you're suggesting is a winner.
This discussion has been closed.