Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Starmer starting to pull away in the Corbyn successor betting

Comments

• Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

With Holly and Phil drawing an apology out of a kicking and screaming Corbyn, Boris has agreed to an interview on This Morning. Brave, but dangerous!

he didnt really apologise for anti-semitism

I think he said "of course I apologise for everything that has happened". That is completely meaningless.
  • Options
    novanova Posts: 525
    SunnyJim said:

kinabalu said:

Not to defend everything in the Labour manifesto but to make a general point. This iteration of Labour (unlike previous ones) is challenging the consensus that arose from Mrs Thatcher's revolution. Much of the comment about how "ridiculous" and "insane" the policies are is purely because this consensus has now become sterile received wisdom. Exactly as happened with the previous consensus before Thatcher blew it apart.

Simplification of course but I have never seen a consensus that agrees with gross overspending compared to sound money.

At worst he latter may have implications around funding levels but the former is the sure path to a Venezuela/Zimbabwe type outcome.
    Venezuela/Zimbabwe seems a little over the top. The IFS said Labour's spending would take it to a similar level in relation to GDP as Germany. And there are still a further six Western European countries with higher spending than that (none of whom have economies that bear comparison to Venezuela or Zimbabwe).

I said below on this thread, that I'm amazed how so many intelligent people can't understand that other intelligent people have differing views.

The amount of comments (and I'm not suggesting you are guilty), that are accompanied by abuse or hyperbole ("cretin", "idiot", "fool", "insane" etc.) is worthy of echo chambers like the Daily Mail comments page or Rachael Swindon's twitter feed, not a comment section on a betting like this.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 1,614

Jeremy Corbyn vowed to confront Donald Trump at Buckingham Palace tonight after the US president took a wrecking ball to his claims the US want to seize the NHS.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7751171/Jeremy-Corbyn-vows-confront-Donald-Trump-Buckingham-Palace.html

I have a vision of Queenie going leave it Jezza its not worth it...

I can just see Corbyn there waving the dodgy dossier about in his hands, foaming at the mount with his utter hatred of our closest ally. Corbyn - and the Labour party - have lost their minds.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,987

ridaligo said:

eek said:

llef said:

Just received a Tory leaflet in Windsor for Adam Afriyie (the local MP).
    3 Priorities listed are

Fighting Heathrow expansion
    Protecting against flooding
    Defending local vibrant economy

There is no mention of Brexit at all, which I find strange as he was a spartan voting against May's deal.

It's almost as though he is ashamed of it.....

So he should be ashamed - Windsor voted 53% Remain. Could be that he's detected a formidable Lib Dem surge.
    Today's Darlington Tory leaflet is the same

More GPs
    Revitalise the Town Centre (Good luck there)
    More Police (possibly)

No mention of Brexit just a desire for a none hung Parliament.

Same as for Ranil in NE Hampshire. Leaflet in the post addressed to me. No mention of Boris or Brexit just a focus on "local issues" (housebuilding, roads, schools, GPs, etc) and a warning about hung Parliament / Corbyn if you vote Lib Dem. Seems like a CCHQ "template" approach in (very) safe Tory seats to me i.e. token effort not really required.

Haven't noticed any posters from any party in any windows ... just a couple of Ranil billboards in the local farmers' fields. MRP says he'll lose some vote share to the Lib Dems but I doubt it ... the mood here is very Leavey and very anti-Corbyn (obv.).

I'm meeting a mate for lunch tomorrow - he's involved with coordinating the Lib Dem effort in Winchester so l'll report back with any nuggets of info. from the front line.
    I can understand why sitting Tory MPs don't feel it necessary to emphasise a pro Brexit message on their election leaflet in both of Remain voting NE Hampshire and Windsor. They probably feel that they can pretty well clean up the pro Brexit vote in the absence of the BXP, with their main concern to keep a reasonable proportion of Tory Remainers on board by appealing to a broader agenda. However, the rationale of a Tory challenger downplaying Brexit in 58% Leave voting Darlington is harder to fathom in the face of competition from the BXP for Leave voters.
    Sleaford and North Hykeham Conservative leaflet seems to be rather different to those previously mentioned.

The three priorities mentioned are:

Investment in Local NHS Services
    Get Brexit Done
    Better Infrastructure, more police, protected rural communities.

I think this may be the 4th or 5th Tory leaflet so it's probably not surprising it isn't about Brexit.

The choice of photos does however show how little the Tories know about the town...
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

She's a good speaker, is my point. Draws you in.

like winter nights, bleak moorland fogs and deathly marshes?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Alistair said:

I'm reading insane shit that the LD internal polling is showing Swinson down 3 to 6 points on the SNP.

If so I would like to deeply apologise to those people. I mocked for suggesting Swinson could be in trouble.

More likely to lose her seat than Boris.
  • Options
    Why’s Boris campaigning in Salisbury? 17,000 odd majority. Keeping him out of trouble? SW Tory vote a bit soft? He should campaigning in Labour’ red wall.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    The same Tory leaflet has been hand delivered twice within 48 hours!
  • Options
    Jason said:

Jeremy Corbyn vowed to confront Donald Trump at Buckingham Palace tonight after the US president took a wrecking ball to his claims the US want to seize the NHS.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7751171/Jeremy-Corbyn-vows-confront-Donald-Trump-Buckingham-Palace.html

I have a vision of Queenie going leave it Jezza its not worth it...

I can just see Corbyn there waving the dodgy dossier about in his hands, foaming at the mount with his utter hatred of our closest ally. Corbyn - and the Labour party - have lost their minds.
    I can just see Trump there saying "My friend Vladimir told me about that dodgy dossier in your hand....how he was laughing...."
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,930
    maaarsh said:

maaarsh said:

Just had by 9-13th latest LD leaflets (including the regulation joke one from OGH).

It's utterly insane - there is zero chance they are sticking to spending limits - They must have spent £3 on me alone by this point, in a constituency they have no chance in.

If delivered by hand by volunteers they're not expensive.
    I've had 7 by mail. If they're delivering by volunteers then these people are morons as I'm in a safe seat next door to a major target for the yellow peril.
    Between this and the Warrington South muck up, the Lib Dem ground game this time round seems totally bonkers.
    Who on earth is running it ?
  • Options
    camelcamel Posts: 815
    Charles said:

kinabalu said:

She's a good speaker, is my point. Draws you in.

like winter nights, bleak moorland fogs and deathly marshes?
    Like a July day in Durham. It appeared to be snowing,
  • Options
    justin124 said:

It'll be the local Tories getting their delivery routes mixed up.
  • Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,450
    Alistair said:

I'm reading insane shit that the LD internal polling is showing Swinson down 3 to 6 points on the SNP.

If so I would like to deeply apologise to those people. I mocked for suggesting Swinson could be in trouble.

Sounds like ramping. She has a 5k majority and the former SNP MP has bunked off to fight a Tory seat - Ochil and South Perthshire. (This unfortunate then managed to forget which seat he was fighting during a hustings to the hilarity of all, himself excepted).
  • Options
    OldBasing said:

Why’s Boris campaigning in Salisbury? 17,000 odd majority. Keeping him out of trouble? SW Tory vote a bit soft? He should campaigning in Labour’ red wall.

google salisbury and get corbyn and russia?
  • Options
    SunnyJimSunnyJim Posts: 1,106
    Jason said:

His aides will be sewing in a secret camera so they can release the footage of BIG JC giving it to Trump.
  • Options
    Charles said:

OldBasing said:

Google Boris and get Trump and Russia.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

maaarsh said:

Just had by 9-13th latest LD leaflets (including the regulation joke one from OGH).

It's utterly insane - there is zero chance they are sticking to spending limits - They must have spent £3 on me alone by this point, in a constituency they have no chance in.

What's the print cost of a leaflet ?
    Very little and there are economies of scale

I can get 5000 A5 full colour glossy leaflets done for a local event for about £50.
  • Options

Further update on tactical voting (from the Guardian blog):

Almost a third of voters now say they will vote tactically in the election, according to polling carried out for the Electoral Reform Society (ERS), with the proportion rising rapidly.

The polling by BMG found 30% of people said they would be “voting for the best-positioned party/candidate to keep out another party/candidate that I dislike” on 12 December. This is up from 22% saying this at the start of the election campaign, and 24% in a parallel poll last week.

Only 51% of people said they would pick “the candidate/party I most prefer, regardless of how likely they are to win”.

True. That’s why I’ll be voting Tory, to keep out Corbyn.
  • Options
    corbyn's "apology" was even worse than i had thought...

"Obviously I am very sorry for everything that has happened. But I would like to make it clear that we are dealing with it - I have dealt with it."

could easily be talking about the criticism he has faced...
  • Options
    OldBasing said:

Charles said:

OldBasing said:

Mine was a serious response

I associate Salisbury with Russian poisoning, Constable and Robert Cecil

Admittedly a rather eclectic list...

But most people I suspect would link to poisoning attempts
  • Options
    SunnyJim said:

Jason said:

His aides will be sewing in a secret camera so they can release the footage of BIG JC giving it to Trump.
    I’m not sure what sort of event Corbyn thinks he’s going to, but he may be in for a surprise if he thinks that you can just wonder up to one of the main guests and have a chat.
  • Options
    OT, I can't see Labour electing Kier Starmer, he is far far too sensible nad credible for any modern political party in UK
  • Options
    Charles said:

"Obviously I am very sorry for everything that has happened. But I would like to make it clear that we are dealing with it - I have dealt with it."

Its because he genuinely doesn't see that he has done anything wrong.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

maaarsh said:

maaarsh said:

I've had 7 by mail. If they're delivering by volunteers then these people are morons as I'm in a safe seat next door to a major target for the yellow peril.
    Between this and the Warrington South muck up, the Lib Dem ground game this time round seems totally bonkers.
    Who on earth is running it ?
    Well, not their head of press!

https://order-order.com/2019/12/03/libdem-head-press-rosy-cobb-suspended-party/
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    OldBasing said:

Salisbury has been brought up quite a lot by the Tories on the campaign trail regarding Corbyn's response to Novichok so that might be part of it.

But the most difficult moment he has faced on the trail is in South Yorks after the floods so maybe to avoid any gaffes it's best to get the leader behind the blue wall and let the local candidates and the Brexit message cut through instead.

• Options
    nova said:

SunnyJim said:

kinabalu said:

Not to defend everything in the Labour manifesto but to make a general point. This iteration of Labour (unlike previous ones) is challenging the consensus that arose from Mrs Thatcher's revolution. Much of the comment about how "ridiculous" and "insane" the policies are is purely because this consensus has now become sterile received wisdom. Exactly as happened with the previous consensus before Thatcher blew it apart.

Simplification of course but I have never seen a consensus that agrees with gross overspending compared to sound money.

At worst he latter may have implications around funding levels but the former is the sure path to a Venezuela/Zimbabwe type outcome.
    Venezuela/Zimbabwe seems a little over the top. The IFS said Labour's spending would take it to a similar level in relation to GDP as Germany. And there are still a further six Western European countries with higher spending than that (none of whom have economies that bear comparison to Venezuela or Zimbabwe).

I said below on this thread, that I'm amazed how so many intelligent people can't understand that other intelligent people have differing views.

The amount of comments (and I'm not suggesting you are guilty), that are accompanied by abuse or hyperbole ("cretin", "idiot", "fool", "insane" etc.) is worthy of echo chambers like the Daily Mail comments page or Rachael Swindon's twitter feed, not a comment section on a betting like this.
    They have added spending commitments since the IFS analysis. The other problem is that labour also have numerous policies to shrink GDP and to shrink it a lot.
  • Options

Charles said:

Its because he genuinely doesn't see that he has done anything wrong.
    He doesn't think offending Jews is a bad thing, and neither do a large amount of his dwindling following
  • Options
    Brom said:

OldBasing said:

Salisbury has been brought up quite a lot by the Tories on the campaign trail regarding Corbyn's response to Novichok so that might be part of it.

But the most difficult moment he has faced on the trail is in South Yorks after the floods so maybe to avoid any gaffes it's best to get the leader behind the blue wall and let the local candidates and the Brexit message cut through instead.

I thought his flood response was good actually.
  • Options
    Charles said:

OldBasing said:

Charles said:

OldBasing said:

Mine was a serious response

I associate Salisbury with Russian poisoning, Constable and Robert Cecil

Admittedly a rather eclectic list...

But most people I suspect would link to poisoning attempts
    Boris going to Salisbury is a less than subtle reminder of the threat NATO faces on its birthday.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,731
    What do you think?
  • Options
    Stocky said:

What do you think?
    They would say wouldn't they. Never trust a nationalist. Nationalism is a liars creed.
  • Options
    SunnyJimSunnyJim Posts: 1,106

nova said:

SunnyJim said:

kinabalu said:

They have added spending commitments since the IFS analysis. The other problem is that labour also have numerous policies to shrink GDP and to shrink it a lot.
    Labour would rely on funding from the bond markets and even by McDonnell's own acknowledgement there is likely to be a reluctance to finance such government spending.

Which forces the government to create the money to finance its promises.

And then inflation takes hold.

And then our currency becomes devalued.

• Options
    Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411
    Stocky said:

What do you think?
    SuperJo might be saved by CON tactical vote for LD

In other seats in Scotland we might see LAB and LD tactical vote for CON. Maybe Perth, Lanark and Hamilton W, Argyll & Bute, possibly Caithness

• Options
    ByronicByronic Posts: 3,578
    In all the kerfuffle, one thing has gone overlooked

Boris has successfully dodged an interview with Andrew Neil
  • Options
    Byronic said:

Still time yet. Is Swinson doing one?
  • Options
    camel said:

Jason said:

kinabalu said:
    All you've confirmed in my mind is that she's a female Corbyn. A mad conspiracy theorist with a distinctly unserious mind. Still, in the eye of the beholder and all that.
    And there you have it, friends. Within weeks she will be there, sharing hustings with Keir Starmer and Rebecca Long Bailey in front of the labour membership.
    You don't have to share kinabalu's politics. This is a betting site. As Ave it would have it, Piddy nailed on!
    She has to hold her seat first. I'd rather be "up for Pidcock" on election night if its possible.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,229

Today is all Trump and Boris meeting Merkel and Macron at no 10 and tonight the banquet with HMQ

And Corbyn, standing in front of a picket line

Tomorrow will be all about the NATO conference and international security

And then just 6 days campaign left

When does the Tory campaign start?
    Seems to be doing ok with Boris up 4% to 41% approval and Corbyn down 2% to 22% in todays poll
    Has HYUFD hacked your PB account? I remember those days just last summer when you planned on leaving the Conservative Party because they had just elected a charlatan as PM.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

What do you think?
    Her popularity has definitely waned locally, might see her vote drop, but tactical voting is the big unknown. I say narrow hold, but would be interested to hear from anyone with a local contact.
  • Options
    SunnyJim said:

nova said:

SunnyJim said:

kinabalu said:

Labour would rely on funding from the bond markets and even by McDonnell's own acknowledgement there is likely to be a reluctance to finance such government spending.

Which forces the government to create the money to finance its promises.

And then inflation takes hold.

And then our currency becomes devalued.

Yet another difficult one for Tories to brandish with any credibility, considering Brexit has already devalued the £ considerably. Mind you if Jezza gets in it will be worth less than a dollar in no time; a Zimbabwean one no doubt!
  • Options

Byronic said:

No idea.

But my point is good. The London Bridge attack has allowed Boris to sidestep the Andrew Neil nightmare. No one is talking about it any more, apart from me,
  • Options
    Ave_it said:

Stocky said:

What do you think?

In other seats in Scotland we might see LAB and LD tactical vote for CON. Maybe Perth, Lanark and Hamilton W, Argyll & Bute, possibly Caithness

What`s your view on total SNP seats? Can go Under 45.5 on over/under bet at 5/6 and I`m tempted.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,635
    justin124 said:

Replace "leaflet" with "leader" and that would be a much more interesting comment...
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited December 2019
    Byronic said:

Byronic said:

No idea.

But my point is good. The London Bridge attack has allowed Boris to sidestep the Andrew Neil nightmare. No one is talking about it any more, apart from me,
    I honestly think the whole thing was over-hyped, all because Jezza had a multi-car pile-up and which I don't think has hurt his polling.

I think the terrorist stuff is trickier as we now have one of the fathers (who isn't exactly a Tory fan to put it mildly looking at this twitter feed) being very unhappy with his response, while I think the public will be angry that terrorists are getting released early.
  • Options

Today is all Trump and Boris meeting Merkel and Macron at no 10 and tonight the banquet with HMQ

Seems to be doing ok with Boris up 4% to 41% approval and Corbyn down 2% to 22% in todays poll
    Has HYUFD hacked your PB account? I remember those days just last summer when you planned on leaving the Conservative Party because they had just elected a charlatan as PM.
    Jeremy Corbyn wants to to nationalise sex, so you have to pay the state if you wish to interact with someone else's buttocks.

in this light, even Tory haters are going Tory, just to keep out the mad Trot.

• Options

He is a classic "tribal". There are millions of them. It is why I don't think Labour voters, however "Leavey" will vote Tory when they get in the booth. Could be wrong, but hung parliament or very small Tory majority is still my guess.
  • Options
    Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411
    Stocky said:

Ave_it said:

Stocky said:

What do you think?

What`s your view on total SNP seats? Can go Under 45.5 on over/under bet at 5/6 and I`m tempted.
    I would say under 45. So 35 to start + 5 gain from LAB = 40 could gain one or two from LD /CON could go the other way

Despite all the SNP/Sturgeon noise a lot of people in Scotland hate SNP/Sturgeon and thus may support parties other than their normal ones.

But DYOR I have no specific information!!!

• Options
    Byronic said:

Jeremy Corbyn wants to to nationalise sex, so you have to pay the state if you wish to interact with someone else's buttocks.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/voting-tory-cause-your-wife-8274342
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Byronic said:

Byronic said:

No idea.

I wonder if in future elections all leaders will avoid these TV grillings. I cannot see any upside in them because of the amount of ammunition interviewers can use against them. Unless a party puts forward a 'clean skin' as a leader - and then they'll be accused of being too inexperienced - like silly Jo Swinson. It's a fool's errand doing those debates and interviews, for all of them.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

Sorry, I hadn't read the Labour Party Manifesto and had missed out on that scurrilous outrage!
  • Options

nova said:

SunnyJim said:

kinabalu said:

The comments I saw were post the Waspi announcement, and showed Labour's plans below Germany's tax take %. The IFS also said some of the estimates of growth (due to the increased investment) were conservative, which doesn't suggest GDP shrinking.

But what I'm suggesting is that there are arguments all around. The IFS didn't suggest Labour would turn the country into Venezuela - that's Daily Mail hyperbole. My own view is that there's not much point discussing policies on here, when the "discussion" so often descent into farcical extremes.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited December 2019
    Jason said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

No idea.

I wonder if in future elections all leaders will avoid these TV grillings. I cannot see any upside in them because of the amount of ammunition interviewers can use against them. Unless a party puts forward a 'clean skin' as a leader - and then they'll be accused of being too inexperienced - like silly Jo Swinson. It's a fool's errand doing those debates and interviews, for all of them.
    I actually think the media should work together and rather than trying to out do each other with silly stunts like the CH4 debate, come up with a concrete timetable between them to force politicians hands.

It is ridiculous that our potential leaders don't get interviewed for an extended period. I also think that the chancellors / shadows should as well.
  • Options
    camelcamel Posts: 815

camel said:

Jason said:

kinabalu said:
    All you've confirmed in my mind is that she's a female Corbyn. A mad conspiracy theorist with a distinctly unserious mind. Still, in the eye of the beholder and all that.
    And there you have it, friends. Within weeks she will be there, sharing hustings with Keir Starmer and Rebecca Long Bailey in front of the labour membership.
    You don't have to share kinabalu's politics. This is a betting site. As Ave it would have it, Piddy nailed on!
    She has to hold her seat first. I'd rather be "up for Pidcock" on election night if its possible.
    There are more likely seats for a 9 point swing. 1/3 Lab Hold looks about right.
  • Options

Byronic said:

Sorry, I hadn't read the Labour Party Manifesto and had missed out on that scurrilous outrage!
    Certain members of the Royal family may be in favour of sex that is free at the point of use.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Byronic said:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/voting-tory-cause-your-wife-8274342
    Now that and the BMW M3 are very good reasons to vote Tory, Sign me up!
  • Options

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

No idea.

I honestly think the whole thing was over-hyped, all because Jezza had a multi-car pile-up and which I don't think has hurt his polling.

I think the terrorist stuff is trickier as we now have one of the fathers (who isn't exactly a Tory fan to put it mildly looking at this twitter feed) being very unhappy with his response, while I think the public will be angry that terrorists are getting released early.
    The response from that poor lad's father (i.e. the dad of the man killed in London Bridge) is not edifying or well advised. The father can be excused, of course, because of his terrible grief, but the Guardian should know better than to publish something so raw, and so soon.
  • Options
    The incident happened outside the Foreign Office from where he was sacked from his Rome Embassy job in June.
  • Options
    Ave_it said:

Stocky said:

What do you think?

Or they might have a laugh and boot her out. "Prime Minister" indeed.....
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Gyimah has gone out to third in the betting in Kensington. Bet Victor go 5/1.
    I shall raise a glass if he`s toast.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

Probably for the best. After Jezza's effort, it would have attracted huge viewing figures, and I wouldn't expect AN to pull any punches as it could have cemented his reputation in journalistic legend. Boris serves the Tories best as a cheeky grin and a funny haircut. They don't want anything to scratch any deeper than that.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    OldBasing said:

Salisbury is famous for the height of its cathedral spire.
  • Options
    Mr. Nova, Labour's claimed, wrongly, that it would only be the top few percent who would fund everything they've promised to splurge money on (and their own figures for spending are far lower than those of others who've looked at their plans).
  • Options
    Seems Jezza has a lot more in common with Trump than he might like to admit....

https://youtu.be/Sz3IRiK68O0
  • Options
    Why the Conservatives have lost their best USP, and why it may not hurt them this time, it will next:

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/boris-johnsons-brexit-plans-will-cost-uk-economy-up-to-£20bn-a-year-report-warns/ar-BBXGnWU?ocid=spartanntp
  • Options
    AramintaMoonbeamQCAramintaMoonbeamQC Posts: 3,609
    edited December 2019
    Stocky said:

Ave_it said:

Stocky said:

What do you think?

I have around 45 in mind but there are so many marginals in Scotland that this is a very tricky call.

LD will hold O & S
    SCon will hold BRS, DCT, D & G
    SLab will hold Edin South

Likely SLab: Coatbridge
    Like LD: Caithness
    Likely SCon: Banff, Moray, Aberdeen South

Tossup: Edin West (LD/SNP), NE Fife (LD/SNP), Angus (SCon/SNP), East Dunbartonshire (LD/SNP)

I'd be tempted by under 45.5.
  • Options

Byronic said:

Probably for the best. After Jezza's effort, it would have attracted huge viewing figures, and I wouldn't expect AN to pull any punches as it could have cemented his reputation in journalistic legend. Boris serves the Tories best as a cheeky grin and a funny haircut. They don't want anything to scratch any deeper than that.
    It is an absolute disgrace that he has avoided it. A liar, a coward and a cheat.
  • Options

Stocky said:

Ave_it said:

Stocky said:

What do you think?

I have around 45 in mind but there are so many marginals in Scotland that this is a very tricky call.

LD will hold O & S
    SCon will hold BRS, DCT, D & G
    SLab will hold Edin South

Likely SLab: Coatbridge
    Like LD: Caithness
    Likely SCon: Banff, Moray, Aberdeen South

Tossup: Edin West (LD/SNP), NE Fife (LD/SNP), Angus (SCon/SNP), East Dunbartonshire (LD/SNP)

I'd be tempted by under 45.5.
    I`m on at a small stake.
  • Options

Ave_it said:

Stocky said:

What do you think?

Or they might have a laugh and boot her out. "Prime Minister" indeed.....
    Well anything is possible when a lying twat like Johnson can be PM, her suggestion didn't seem that outrageous, except to misogynists of course.
  • Options

Almost a third of voters now say they will vote tactically in the election, according to polling carried out for the Electoral Reform Society (ERS), with the proportion rising rapidly.

The polling by BMG found 30% of people said they would be “voting for the best-positioned party/candidate to keep out another party/candidate that I dislike” on 12 December. This is up from 22% saying this at the start of the election campaign, and 24% in a parallel poll last week.

Only 51% of people said they would pick “the candidate/party I most prefer, regardless of how likely they are to win”.

Given that the Brexit Party got 30.5% at the EU elections and they are now polling 3%, I await the leaflet from polling expert Mike Smithson that 27.5% of that 30% is Brexit Party voters voting tactically....

Or not.

• Options
    edited December 2019

The incident happened outside the Foreign Office from where he was sacked from his Rome Embassy job in June.
    Tut, former private schoolboys really do not know how to behave!
  • Options
    justin124 said:

time for you to send some more iffy insults to ian austin presumably .....
  • Options

Clearly not actually a teacher then. Teacher's at local comprehensives buy their own pens, pencils and ink just to keep lessons running. The truest sign ever we are at the absolute arse end of a Tory Administration. Plus your'e happy withdrawing from the EU science funding euratom etc etc?

Just imagine if Corbyn gets in and gives the schools the money and respect they deserve. Whatever would you do. Being a fyzicyst you clearly cannot be taken in buy the populist right wing. ' oh yeah mate Corbyn he's a terrorist its well known mate' (sharp exhalation of breath through teeth).

Why you so frightened:(???
  • Options
    It's been a bigly not remembering day for Trump.

https://twitter.com/JimMFelton/status/1201813909696655361?s=20
  • Options

Byronic said:

It is an absolute disgrace that he has avoided it. A liar, a coward and a cheat.
    Hard to argue with that. But Labour were stupidly naive to agree to an interview without a written guarantee the Boris had to do one as well.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Pulpstar said:

Alistair said:

Linky :?
    Thread (there's even more insane shit in the thread)

https://twitter.com/maximiliangapes/status/1201781033395507200?s=19

https://twitter.com/maximiliangapes/status/1201781528180805632?s=19
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,289
    When is the total number of the electorate going to be announced? It's normally about now.

It's the key number to look for - endless posts and articles about how many people applied to register on various days - but the number that actually matters is the final total of how many are actually registered and the comparison to 2017.
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    Byronic said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

No idea.

The response from that poor lad's father (i.e. the dad of the man killed in London Bridge) is not edifying or well advised. The father can be excused, of course, because of his terrible grief, but the Guardian should know better than to publish something so raw, and so soon.
    The father appears to have very entrenched far left views. Lots of talk on his social media about Palestine, evil Tories over the years. I think he was always going to make a political point when he found himself in the spotlight. Unexpectedly the first 'politicising' of the attacks I saw came from Yvette Cooper.
  • Options
    llefllef Posts: 298
    UK Election: Conservatives 42%, Labour 33% - YouGov Poll For Sky News/Times
    -Both Down 1 Point In Latest YouGov Poll Compared With Previous Poll

https://twitter.com/LiveSquawk
  • Options
    So Dominic Raab has admitted that the US will be able to increase the cost of drugs they supply to the NHS after Brexit. Isn't this what we have all been going on about for weeks. Why would he admit it now?
  • Options
    That Green vote seems implausibly high, I imagine most of that will go to Labour, so it's possible Labour are actually on around 35%, so a 7 point lead.
    Still possible to force a Hung Parliament - but we need to make progress quickly.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,987
    Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

Alistair said:

That would probably do Chukka's electoral chances no harm at all.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Apology accepted.
    Next LD leader:
    Umunna 2/1
    Moran 3/1
    Davey 10/1
    Berger 12/1
    Jardine 16/1

Jardine!?
    Jardine?!?!
    Jardine?!?!?!

I knew the Lib Dems were in trouble, but I hadn’t realised that their lack of talent was so profound that Christine Jardine would be a top five candidate to be next leader.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028
    Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

Alistair said:

If Swinson loses East Dunbartonshire and Chuka wins Cities of London and Westminster he is heir apparent
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,551
    Charles said:

Saying 'Obviously' to begin a weeks late patently insincere remark stating the conspicuously unobvious is a properly unpleasant passive aggressive tactic.

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,972
    llef said:

UK Election: Conservatives 42%, Labour 33% - YouGov Poll For Sky News/Times
    -Both Down 1 Point In Latest YouGov Poll Compared With Previous Poll

https://twitter.com/LiveSquawk

Now, where’s my Ed Balls gif?
  • Options
    My advice on the SNP seat line bet was getting on the under a couple of weeks ago when it was 50.5
  • Options
    Byronic said:

Byronic said:

Hard to argue with that. But Labour were stupidly naive to agree to an interview without a written guarantee the Boris had to do one as well.
    The only good thing for Labour is that it has turned Jezza's interview into something of a moral win. The Tories can't now criticize his performance when their own man chickened out.
  • Options

So Dominic Raab has admitted that the US will be able to increase the cost of drugs they supply to the NHS after Brexit. Isn't this what we have all been going on about for weeks. Why would he admit it now?

But Trump has said he doesn't want the NHS. Therein lies a dilemma. Who to believe? I am going for Raab, he seems a nice, reliable boy!
  • Options
    Byronic said:

Byronic said:

It's a sad day when it is 'naive' to expect the prime minister to be willing to subject himself to normal journalistic scrutiny during an election campaign. Once again Nye Bevan's assessment of the Tory character has been vindicated.
  • Options
    Any betting on next Tory leader next, who do we all see as following on from Boris? He may not last long in or out of government.
  • Options
    Interesting, we have had 2 decent polls for the Tories today and the betting line hasn't shifted.
  • Options

Byronic said:

Very nicely put. He reminds me of a Ming vase, incredibly expensive but shatters into a million pieces if dropped. So far, he's still intact - just.
  • Options

Mr. Nova, Labour's claimed, wrongly, that it would only be the top few percent who would fund everything they've promised to splurge money on (and their own figures for spending are far lower than those of others who've looked at their plans).

I'm not convinced either party's economic policies are going to work as described. Labour's spending seems scattershot, while the Tories seem to be far too conservative (no pun intended) after the drag on growth that is austerity.

But I don't really need a discussion about economics, because I know people have different beliefs, and I find it pointless to discuss if countries like Zimbabwe are brought into it. Does anyone really believe that Labour's policies would cause inflation of 9.6 billion percent a month?
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

Alistair said:

SLab (even at grass roots level) working with the SNP would truly be a sign of the apocalypse.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

Alistair said:

UPDATE: A source close to @ChukaUmunna emphatically denies any plans to replace Swinson before the election.

Says ‘the campaign has been disappointing but it’s too late to do anything about it now’

I'm not a Lib Dem and don't know how the party works

But I would imagine that kind of stuff will really piss a lot of people off
  • Options

Any betting on next Tory leader next, who do we all see as following on from Boris? He may not last long in or out of government.

If in the short term: Hunt. In the longer term, Sunak.
  • Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688
    BETTING POST TIP

I'm firming up my tip of last week.

Claire Wright (Independent) to win Devon East from the Conservatives. You can get 7/4 if you're quick (she's shortening).

This is based on conversations and an amazing number of posters through her constituency.

N.B. I'm not saying she will, but that she's better than 7/4.

p.s. To show I'm not biased on this, I don't think Sarah Wollaston is going to win Totnes. This is a betting post.
  • Options
    Oh damn it, I've fallen for a spoof account.
This discussion has been closed.