Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » A suggested new cross-break for GE2019 pollsters – separate nu

Comments

• Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,446

I don't know what the mood on the ground is in the West Midlands. But in the NE the visceral hate for Labour is something to behold. They really are despised by people who should have been comfortable bankers for the reds. Whether that means punters manage to coalesce around the best alternative remains to be seen.
    They did manage to do so in May at the local elections....

You mean they aren't being placated with offers of free broadband and cheaper rail season tickets?
    Maybe they were stung by the WASPI pledge?
  • Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688
    Right ... here we go :neutral:
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    nico67 said:

What’s strange about this election . For all the talk of a Brexit election apart from the now cremated Get Brexit Done that’s it, absolutely nothing about the detail of what trading relationship the UK might have in the future .

So I’m now bringing out .

BEINO

Brexit Election In Name Only !

I've said it before and I'll say it again, if you can't even force a brexit referendum to be about, actually, brexit, what possible hope is there of having a brexit election? All national votes in the UK are in reality about the NHS, gawd bless it, and all who sail in it.
  • Options
    5 more women want Prince Andrew to give evidence on sex trafficking
  • Options

I don't know what the mood on the ground is in the West Midlands. But in the NE the visceral hate for Labour is something to behold. They really are despised by people who should have been comfortable bankers for the reds. Whether that means punters manage to coalesce around the best alternative remains to be seen.

As said previously, I know a guy who's doing a lot of campaigning etc in the Black Country and he is very confident. Well, was, about a week ago when we last chatted.
  • Options

If true this is very dangerous for Labour.

The NE like Scotland was rock solid for the reds but if they get abandoned then there's little reason to think they will quickly return. The zeal of the convert can mean that once people move on they can be very hard to bring back once more.
  • Options
    timmo said:

Hearing some bad noises for Baker coming out of Wycombe..could be v close

The Yougov MRP had him winning by 13% or around 6,500 votes. Not sure I believe this any more than Easington.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 1,614

In my old grandma's constituency of Dudley North, I can tell you that feeling is not unique to the North. Life long Labour voters switching to Tory, hurting them like hell to do it, but left with no choice because they see Corbyn as being the worst of 2 evils. Ian Austin's words early on in the election have stuck there.
  • Options
    timmo said:

I find that hard to believe, though amusing that someone like Baker represents a Remain seat. Why the hell are the tragic farce known as UKIP standing in that of all seats?
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Are we expecting any polls tonight?

I think that's it now for today. I am interested what caused the movement earlier.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

I think that's it now for today. I am interested what caused the movement earlier.
    The movement in your bowels Francis?
  • Options
    timmo said:

Stop it, you're killing me. It is too much to hope for.
  • Options

As said previously, I know a guy who's doing a lot of campaigning etc in the Black Country and he is very confident. Well, was, about a week ago when we last chatted.
    A week is a long time in politics...
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

yeah, if only I hadn't included precisely that caveat in the post.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    edited December 2019
    Jason said:

Mortimer said:

LOL....no Betfair...Tory majority jumped in 4 points and with quite a lot of volume, before somebody stuck over £100k of liquity into that market.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,028

timmo said:

I find that hard to believe, though amusing that someone like Baker represents a Remain seat. Why the hell are the tragic farce known as UKIP standing in that of all seats?
    A quick glance tells me that the Labour candidate is local and focused on local issues.

I'm surprised that A&E has moved to Stoke Mandeville - that's a long way to travel even before the traffic in rush hour.

• Options

Jason said:

Mortimer said:

LOL....no Betfair...Tory majority jumped in 4 points and with quite a lot of volume, before somebody stuck over £100k of liquity into that market.
    Lol I know Francis.
  • Options

Jason said:

Mortimer said:

Lol I know Francis.
  • Options
    TykeTyke Posts: 18
    NeilVW said:
    That list of seats is some rearguard action!
  • Options
    Jason said:

Jason said:

Mortimer said:

Lol I know Francis.
    The bowel movements on the other hand....every poll at the moment.

• Options
    ydoethur said:

timmo said:

That would be delicious.
    Any chance of a double with Francois?
    That would be almost as good as a win on the National Lottery. Odds are probably about the same.
  • Options
    Tyke said:

NeilVW said:
    Perhaps...or perhaps they have nothing to worry about in the South from the Lib Dems.
  • Options
    Tyke said:

NeilVW said:
    Goodness gracious. If they’re nervous in Blyth...
  • Options

ydoethur said:

yeah, if only I hadn't included precisely that caveat in the post.
    If you really wanted to spoil us you could tell us who he was campaigning *for*...

• Options
    Any polls this evening?
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Tyke said:

NeilVW said:
    Horse watsit will be along any minute to tell us how well it is going
  • Options
    ozymandiasozymandias Posts: 1,503
    edited December 2019
    Floater said:

Tyke said:

NeilVW said:
    Horse watsit will be along any minute to tell us how well it is going
    You must be psychic.

And as if by magic the shopkeeper appeared.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    https://twitter.com/cathynewman/status/1201609962885177344

Labour spokesperson in "We've no idea how we're going to pay for all this stuff" shocker.
  • Options

The NE like Scotland was rock solid for the reds but if they get abandoned then there's little reason to think they will quickly return. The zeal of the convert can mean that once people move on they can be very hard to bring back once more.
    Scotland gone

Wales going

The North edging away

the Midlands ... .

Corbynism and bribes sweeping the nation
  • Options

Labour spokesperson in "We've no idea how we're going to pay for all this stuff" shocker.

Seemingly more honest than her "independent" report into anti semitism at any event
  • Options
    Floater said:

Scotland gone

Wales going

The North edging away

the Midlands ... .

If all that is true:
    How come they are going up in the polls?
  • Options
    eek said:

timmo said:

A quick glance tells me that the Labour candidate is local and focused on local issues.

I'm surprised that A&E has moved to Stoke Mandeville - that's a long way to travel even before the traffic in rush hour.

"Were you up for Steve Baker?"

Has a certain ring to it...
  • Options
    Floater said:

Scotland gone

Wales going

The North edging away

the Midlands ... .

Don't get ahead of yourself. All it takes is for the Lib Dems to fold and the Labour Leavers to revert to type - both of which are entirely plausible - and it's more or less as you were.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,858
    Did @HYUFD report back on the results of plugging that ICM poll into Electoral Calculus by any chance?
  • Options

eek said:

timmo said:

"Were you up for Steve Baker?"

Has a certain ring to it...
    I don’t think anyone is up for Baker. He’s a flop.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,146
    Tyke said:

NeilVW said:
    If you take the last letter of every word of Pidcock's tweet, it reads:

"HELP NEEDED N W DURHAM NOW PLEEEEEASE"

• Options

Tyke said:

NeilVW said:

Go on, admit it - who checked?
  • Options

What is the cause of the loathing? Marxism does not appeal? Corbyn is unelectable? Brexit? Anti_semitism? All of the above?
  • Options

Tyke said:

NeilVW said:

Go on, admit it - who checked?
    Well, just for lols :smile:
  • Options

Floater said:

Scotland gone

Wales going

The North edging away

the Midlands ... .

Don't get ahead of yourself. All it takes is for the Lib Dems to fold and the Labour Leavers to revert to type - both of which are entirely plausible - and it's more or less as you were.
    Absolutely. None of these seats may come off (as a man who lost a fair few quid on Hemsworth last time, I’m not risking anything) but watching Labour flap about in the North East is delicious either way.

If they weren’t worried that bus would be in Guisborough.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,741
    Tyke said:

Floater said:

Scotland gone

Wales going

The North edging away

the Midlands ... .

Absolutely. None of these seats may come off (as a man who lost a fair few quid on Hemsworth last time, I’m not risking anything) but watching Labour flap about in the North East is delicious either way.

I'm wondering why it wasn't in Darlo and Bish - have we written them off?
  • Options
    NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 725
    ydoethur said:

Tyke said:

NeilVW said:

(pic snipped)

Goodness gracious. If they’re nervous in Blyth...
    Blyth Valley requires a 9.3% swing for Con to take it. The YouGov MRP is expecting that kind of swing in Easington but nearer 6% in Blyth. Ronnie Campbell, a Brexiteer, is stepping down in Blyth so that could be one to watch.
  • Options

Tyke said:

Floater said:

Scotland gone

Wales going

The North edging away

the Midlands ... .

Good point, unless Laura is bundling them all under ‘Durham’ - probably not, it would be a long day to get to and from all those seats and then up to Blyth.
  • Options
    I didn't realise that Ghislaine Maxwell is the daughter of Robert Maxwell.
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    edited December 2019
    Snow in Downing Street on Polling Day?
    No 1/10
    Yes 6/1
    (BetFred)
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    edited December 2019
    Panorama is turning into a horror show for Prince Andrew.

Virginia Roberts seems very convincing .
  • Options

Also, Andrew is the Queen's son apparently! :wink:
  • Options

Did @HYUFD report back on the results of plugging that ICM poll into Electoral Calculus by any chance?

Don't know if that's meant as a serious request, but I did it anyway. Plugged the ICM numbers into the main prediction and used the most recent Scotland-only poll for parts North of the Tweed.

Result: Con 314, Lab 252, SNP 47, LD 15.

2017 part 2, right down to the DUP controlling (probably, just about) the balance of power. That'd be fun, wouldn't it?
  • Options
    Tyke said:

Good point, unless Laura is bundling them all under ‘Durham’ - probably not, it would be a long day to get to and from all those seats and then up to Blyth.
    Labour aren’t exactly fighting an offensive war, are they? They held Cannock less than ten years ago, and need it back, badly - yet they’ve given up.
  • Options
    Haven't heard much from Momentum this election, have they just been quietly getting on with it as last time?
  • Options

Haven't heard much from Momentum this election, have they just been quietly getting on with it as last time?

What breaking the law?
  • Options

What breaking the law?
    Ah just like Vote Leave
  • Options
    nico67 said:

Grim. Her testimony cut with his excuses is very powerful.
  • Options
    nico67 said:

This is tomorrows media obssesion and maybe longer
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,505

What is the cause of the loathing? Marxism does not appeal? Corbyn is unelectable? Brexit? Anti_semitism? All of the above?
    If I might - as a middle class, public sector, big city, suburbanite - be sold bold as to venture an opinion based on the shamefully small population I know outside my own catchment - it's that Corbyn in particular and the Labour Party in general appears not to like them very much. Or at all. As someone said upthread, it's a visceral dislike, not an intellectual dislike: an instinctive reaction based on years and years of - as Seant so memorably put it - multicultural this and anti-austerity that and transgender the other. Leading to a feeling that this was a pretty difficult party to identify with.
  • Options
    Talked to a number of floating voters today who were appalled by Johnson's TV interview yesterday and as a result will definitely not be voting Tory.
  • Options

The two halves of this sentence do not join in the middle.
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    Probably late to the party, but I've just noticed that the Brexit Party candidate in Stockton South is one John Prescott. :D
  • Options

Tyke said:

Floater said:

Scotland gone

Wales going

The North edging away

the Midlands ... .

That's what I'm hearing.
  • Options

Tyke said:

Floater said:

Scotland gone

Wales going

The North edging away

the Midlands ... .

No-one likes a loser.....
  • Options

He either named his yacht after her, or the other way round.
  • Options

Don't know if that's meant as a serious request, but I did it anyway. Plugged the ICM numbers into the main prediction and used the most recent Scotland-only poll for parts North of the Tweed.

2017 part 2, right down to the DUP controlling (probably, just about) the balance of power. That'd be fun, wouldn't it?
    It was a bit tongue-in-cheek really as I'd done it myself. Sorry.
    Several differences to 2017: No Raab or IDS according to the predicted seat changes. No DUP support either whilst the Boris Deal is still in play.
    Suspect it would be like 2017 but a lot messier.
  • Options
    andy3664 said:

Talked to a number of floating voters today who were appalled by Johnson's TV interview yesterday and as a result will definitely not be voting Tory.

Anecdotal but he's pissed off a lot of people around my way
  • Options

That would be hilarious. Boris would explode and as for the PB Tories.....
    But I am not expecting to have such fun.
  • Options

nico67 said:

Its a good job the Tories haven't left their campaign until the last 2 weeks....
  • Options
    On the other hand, my Tory relative has written to the BBC about Andrew Marr's interview style so...
  • Options

Probably late to the party, but I've just noticed that the Brexit Party candidate in Stockton South is one John Prescott. :D

He's a nice bloke!
  • Options

Seriously, if we end up with the same result, does Johnson go for another election? Does Corbyn give it a go?
  • Options
    speedy2speedy2 Posts: 981

You only had to look at the wikipedia page:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeffrey_Epstein
    Other juicy names from wikipedia about Epstein:
    Steven Hoffenberg, Leslie Wexner, Adnan Khashoggi, John Mitchell. The list is endless with famous names.
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    edited December 2019

He's a nice bloke!
    Not if you egg him.
  • Options

He's a nice bloke!
    Has he hit home with his message?
  • Options
    Last time it must be said, Labour activists were advised not to target the seats they ended up making marginals and instead to target those with large majorities. They were right to do the former.
  • Options

What breaking the law?
    Ah just like Vote Leave
    But with about 10% of the scrutiny
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

He's a nice bloke!
    Has he hit home with his message?
    He's making a good fist of it....
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,608
    edited December 2019
    So tempted to to do a joke about what do Prince Andrew and Ian Lavery have in common....
  • Options

Last time it must be said, Labour activists were advised not to target the seats they ended up making marginals and instead to target those with large majorities. They were right to do the former.

I can’t make sense of that. What do you mean?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,171
    Sad news from Debden in Epping Forest tonight, a boy dead and several injured after a hit and run.

Police have opened a murder investigation

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-50637430
  • Options

nico67 said:

Monarchy on the ropes during a GE. I can’t remember that ever happening before.
    Bad for the Tories?
  • Options

Electoral Calculus is hopeless, went from grossly over UNS to now grossly under
  • Options
    andy3664 said:

Fascinating.
    Welcome to PB, and please tell us about how you usually vote Lib Dem but have been strangely drawn in recent days to Jeremy Corbyn's vision for the country.
  • Options

Seriously, if we end up with the same result, does Johnson go for another election? Does Corbyn give it a go?
    Of course he would because he seems to be an idiot or else, by Einstein's definition he is insane.
  • Options
    speedy2speedy2 Posts: 981
    ydoethur said:

I can’t make sense of that. What do you mean?
    I think he means that the Labour Party HQ had wrong information about what was happening on the ground and campaigned in the wrong seats in 2017.
    Corbyn though campaigned in the right seats in 2017.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    andy3664 said:

Did these floating voters vote Tory in 2017? Are they Leavers? If not, irrelevant
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,362
    edited December 2019
    Cookie said:

If I might - as a middle class, public sector, big city, suburbanite - be sold bold as to venture an opinion based on the shamefully small population I know outside my own catchment - it's that Corbyn in particular and the Labour Party in general appears not to like them very much. Or at all. As someone said upthread, it's a visceral dislike, not an intellectual dislike: an instinctive reaction based on years and years of - as Seant so memorably put it - multicultural this and anti-austerity that and transgender the other. Leading to a feeling that this was a pretty difficult party to identify with.
    From what people have told me, Brexit woke them up. For decades "the Tories" was the lazy excuse. Shit job? Shit prospects? Not happy? Blame The Tories. Richard IQ Burgon pulled the same line last night in the debate. Adam Price blames Labour in government in Wales for the Welsh NHS. IQ attacks Price for not attacking the Tories for something Labour are directly responsible for.
    So it was easy to blame the Tories. Especially in Easington and Boro and post industrial towns. Yet Labour have represented these towns and run these towns since the Vikings left. Brexit made people think "hang on". And that Labour apparently don't get their concerns (rightly if they think crash Brexit fixes things) just makes them angry. Proper angry. I watched Question Time from South Shields. The audience was labelled as all Brexiteer. It was. Not all Brexit Party. Should have been able to weigh in the Labour vote there. Not any more
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,554

I don't think there are many people in the political sphere who over the last few years have seen their reputation fall by as much as Chakrabarti's has.
  • Options
    Johnny Bairstow would have caught that.
  • Options

nico67 said:

Bad for the Tories?
    Cannot see the connection to be fair
  • Options

So tempted to to do a joke about what do Prince Andrew and Ian Lavery have in common....

LOL
  • Options

Also, Andrew is the Queen's son apparently! :wink:
    But the Duke of Edinburgh is saying nothin'......
  • Options

nico67 said:

Its a good job the Tories haven't left their campaign until the last 2 weeks....
    Speaking as someone who has been leafleting most evenings, canvassing most weekends and spent Sunday morning putting up Tory posters I can assure you that is not the case, as also evidenced by the excellent Tory social media operation this time
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Tyke said:

Labour aren’t exactly fighting an offensive war, are they? They held Cannock less than ten years ago, and need it back, badly - yet they’ve given up.
    That's a bit simplistic. The electoral battleground has shifted *a lot* since the Brexit referendum. Labour winning Canterbury in 2017 is an obvious example in the other direction. The closest they previously managed was when an Emily Thornberry was the candidate in 2001, when they were 2,000 votes short, at an election when Labour won 413 seats. In 2017 Labour won 262 seats including Canterbury. If Labour hadn't gone backwards in other seats then Corbyn would have won a majority of ~200.
  • Options
    edited December 2019

nico67 said:

Bad for the Tories?
    Monarchy not on the ropes at all , while Prince Andrew has a 19% positive rating, Queen Elizabeth II still has a 72% positive rating
    https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/explore/public_figure/Prince_Andrew_Duke_of_York

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/explore/public_figure/Queen_Elizabeth_II
  • Options

Johnny Bairstow would have caught that.

Why didn't England take Foakes or Bairstow at least as back-up?
  • Options

andy3664 said:

Anecdotal but he's pissed off a lot of people around my way
    But who can people vote for? We hear reports of Labour haemmoraging support, apparently Boris is disliked, the polls say he is on for anything from minority govt to a landslide and the LDs have disappeared from sight.
    Who the heck can people vote for?
    I am not expecting Caroline Lucas PM who else is left? Farage?
  • Options

It was a bit tongue-in-cheek really as I'd done it myself. Sorry.
    Several differences to 2017: No Raab or IDS according to the predicted seat changes. No DUP support either whilst the Boris Deal is still in play.
    Suspect it would be like 2017 but a lot messier.
    That's OK :smile:

As far as what would happen in a scenario like that, the Lib Dems might permit a Tory minority to 'govern' (effectively as caretakers, not being able to do very much) in exchange for a second EU referendum: the Deal versus Remain, if the EU27 will tolerate it. Then pull the plug once said plebiscite had been held. Don't see how you get any kind of a sustainable administration out of that mess. Referendum in Spring, GE in June?
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502

nico67 said:

Lol. Seriously why are you worried . Unless Trump says something really stupid then I find it hard to see anything other than a Tory majority and as you know it would pain me to say that .
  • Options

You owe me a new keyboard.
This discussion has been closed.