Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Let’s talk landslides

Comments

• Options
    nunu2nunu2 Posts: 1,453

Engaging thread header @david_herdson, many thanks.

Anecdote alert:

My 82 year old mum had Carrie Symmonds with the No 10 dog knock at her door canvassing in Hastings today with the local Tory candidate.

Interesting that the Tories are putting so much effort into Hastings & Rye though - clearly making sure they are defending their marginals as well as attacking their targets.

Yes. Very sensible.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985
    Ave_it said:

Re Barnesian's model - it has come under a lot of scrutiny on here and I, like others have said, would expect CON to have more seats if 12% ahead.

But Barnesian has clearly put a lot of effort and thought into it and should be commended for that. And I think that if we (CON 😀) are 10% ahead the majority could be tight.

But as no one likes SuperJo anymore I think we can hold Richmond Park! 😀

Yeah, kudos to Barnesian for putting it together!
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

Looks like the Tories are going to pledge a law to seriously restrict rail strikes in their manifesto tomorrow.

That’ll probably prove decisive for my vote.

And there was I thinking you were toying with the Lib Dems ;-)
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,130

Utterly inconsequential question but I'm curious: I've been checking Amazon a few times today, lazily browsing for Christmas.

I've also got Civ VI in my shopping basket (considering buying it, obviously). The price has continually fallen by a few pence each time today. No idea why. I can see a one-off currency correction or price match changing it, but it's happened half a dozen times and I can't work out why that would be. Any ideas?

Maybe it triggers a Dutch auction each time you log on? Until you finally succumb.....
  • Options
    Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411
    GIN1138 said:

RobD said:

nunu2 said:

GIN1138 said:

Any news on the polling we can expect tonight?

Certain: DeltaPoll, YouGov (yes I know there's just been a YouGov poll for New Statesman but they always have one for the Sunday Times)

Probable: Opinium, ComRes.

As it's the third Mega Polling Saturday of the General election there could be more... :open_mouth:
    Delta poll are also releasing 3 constituency polls as well. No idea where though.
    Hearing rumors Bootle might be amongst them (commissioned by a certain A. It)
    If Con GAIN Bootle @Ave_it will be hailed PB God!!! :D
    If Watford beat Burnley today I will ask Mike to rename the site aveitpolitics.com
  • Options
    nunu2 said:

Imagine election night on Dec 12th.....and the first few seats in the north east go to recounts on Labour's request!

Now that would be drama.

That would be an excuse to get the beers out and tell work i'm not coming in tomorrow :-)
  • Options
    camelcamel Posts: 815

RobD said:

Labour needs to close the gap this weekend and fast. They still have time but time is running out.

I still think that Tory vote is far too strong, I think they are ahead but they're in the 30s not the 40s. I stand by my original prediction of something like 37/35

What's this feeling based on?
    That May got 43% and was more popular across the spectrum than Johnson is. Johnson is very popular with a large-ish group of people - but I'm not convinced it's with everybody who would vote Conservative.

I think 2017 was a high point in terms of their voteshare and historically they haven't ever polled much over that, so I think higher predictions are silly.

In regards to why I think it's less than 40%, that's what Cameron was polling in 2010 and 2015 and again he appealed far more across the spectrum than Johnson does now.

I simply think the Tory vote is overstated - and the Labour vote understated. That's just my feeling about it.
    Cameron + UKIP got 51% in GB in 2015. The 'conservative' vote plus a few orange book libdems I should imagine.

Maybe the orange book liberals have returned home, but the tory vote at 40+ looks pretty firm to me, barring a BXP surge.

I wouldn't be downhearted if the polls don't go your way this weekend. There's a lot of time left and the anti-tory vote is still 55%+ with time to coalesce around labour.

• Options

RobD said:

Labour needs to close the gap this weekend and fast. They still have time but time is running out.

I still think that Tory vote is far too strong, I think they are ahead but they're in the 30s not the 40s. I stand by my original prediction of something like 37/35

What's this feeling based on?
    That May got 43% and was more popular across the spectrum than Johnson is. Johnson is very popular with a large-ish group of people - but I'm not convinced it's with everybody who would vote Conservative.

I think 2017 was a high point in terms of their voteshare and historically they haven't ever polled much over that, so I think higher predictions are silly.

In regards to why I think it's less than 40%, that's what Cameron was polling in 2010 and 2015 and again he appealed far more across the spectrum than Johnson does now.

I simply think the Tory vote is overstated - and the Labour vote understated. That's just my feeling about it.
    Is that a bunch of straws I see you clutching?
  • Options
    egg said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:
    So Tories still have a huge 12% lead after the first debate and Labour manifesto launch and only movement 1% from the Brexit Party to the LDs
    Give or take its roundabout of movement, moe etc. It’s Tories plus BREX 45 which sounds about right, and it BREX squeezed to the pips and Tories on 42.

Are there really hundreds of thousands of under 35’s registering to vote?
    Really good question. By law everyone should be on the register and as the new register only came into force last month there should be relatively few updates. That is the theory.

I know that in the past registration departments have reported that over 80% of these registrations are in fact duplications of existing registrations. It is likely this register, being much newer than usual for an election will have those who failed to respond to canvas needing to be reinstated.

I have seen a terrible glitch in the new super system which needs to be addressed - maybe has been. House sold subject to contract - new "owners" registered on the strength of that - then f**ked off. Unfortunately the family who continued to own were kicked off the register by the new info - alarmed to not get polling cards but turned up to vote - June 2017 - and were told they weren't on the register even though they had been and had responded to the canvas.

It seems to me there should be electronic tracking of the register on the actual polling day. All double entries - for the same NI number should be linked. Then - when you vote your eligibility to vote ceases not just in that polling station but also the one 200 miles away.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,293
    Cyclefree said:

Just had my first canvasser - Lib Dem.

They are cautiously optimistic (Hampstead & Kilburn).

No canvassing from Labour yet - Kinabalu, where are you?! A couple of leaflets in the last day or so emphasising that Tulip voted against triggering Article 50. Nothing from the Tories yet.

Back to the racing.

I've had a stinking cold and am now embroiled with builders. Still planning to do it though. See myself as a 'supersub' coming on with time running out. Hope it's not a Trevor Brooking & Kevin Keegan "too little too late" situation. Tulip still the favourite but LDs a live danger. Surely won't go Con but even that is not impossible. It's an interesting seat again. Our votes count at least 5.
  • Options
    Mr. Mark, it's gone down another penny.

I'm highly likely to get it. Last time I bought a proper Civ was in 1999 (console player). But it does seem a bit peculiar.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited November 2019
    MaxPB said:

Can't even get 4K Netflix with that!

Wouldn't be able to watch baby yoda in the Mandalorian...
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,130
    edited November 2019

dr_spyn said:

https://twitter.com/tombarton/status/1198245688359948288

Only LDs can unseat Tory.
    Only Labour can unseat Tory.

This reply is hilarious!
    https://twitter.com/7january1610/status/1198237499090444288
    The LibDems have become an object of mockery for their communications. Rightly so, but it is not a good state of affairs. They have been found out. Their tactics give the impression of being aimed at the terminally stupid. As Dubya said "You can fool some of the people all of the time - and those are the ones you want." Also not a good state of affairs, applying George W. Bush as your tactician.
  • Options

egg said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:
    So Tories still have a huge 12% lead after the first debate and Labour manifesto launch and only movement 1% from the Brexit Party to the LDs
    Give or take its roundabout of movement, moe etc. It’s Tories plus BREX 45 which sounds about right, and it BREX squeezed to the pips and Tories on 42.

Really good question. By law everyone should be on the register and as the new register only came into force last month there should be relatively few updates. That is the theory.

I know that in the past registration departments have reported that over 80% of these registrations are in fact duplications of existing registrations. It is likely this register, being much newer than usual for an election will have those who failed to respond to canvas needing to be reinstated.

I have seen a terrible glitch in the new super system which needs to be addressed - maybe has been. House sold subject to contract - new "owners" registered on the strength of that - then f**ked off. Unfortunately the family who continued to own were kicked off the register by the new info - alarmed to not get polling cards but turned up to vote - June 2017 - and were told they weren't on the register even though they had been and had responded to the canvas.

It seems to me there should be electronic tracking of the register on the actual polling day. All double entries - for the same NI number should be linked. Then - when you vote your eligibility to vote ceases not just in that polling station but also the one 200 miles away.
    Oh, and three dead people voted in Kirkby Lonsdale in June 2017 - or at least presented themselves to the tellers - computerised telling would stop that as well.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited November 2019

Looks like the Tories are going to pledge a law to seriously restrict rail strikes in their manifesto tomorrow.

That is clearly a play at London workers.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,997
    nunu2 said:

GIN1138 said:

Any news on the polling we can expect tonight?

Certain: DeltaPoll, YouGov (yes I know there's just been a YouGov poll for New Statesman but they always have one for the Sunday Times)

Probable: Opinium, ComRes.

As it's the third Mega Polling Saturday of the General election there could be more... :open_mouth:
    Delta poll are also releasing 3 constituency polls as well. No idea where though.

There will also test libdem and lanour tactical voting
    Oh that's good
  • Options

Especially with Southwest rail drivers going on strike for a month starting Dec 1st - there's a lot of LD target seats there like Guildford which will be totally cut off from London. Smart move!
  • Options

Utterly inconsequential question but I'm curious: I've been checking Amazon a few times today, lazily browsing for Christmas.

I've also got Civ VI in my shopping basket (considering buying it, obviously). The price has continually fallen by a few pence each time today. No idea why. I can see a one-off currency correction or price match changing it, but it's happened half a dozen times and I can't work out why that would be. Any ideas?

Civ 6 is great

Steam will no doubt have it on sale at big discount over xmas period

plus see these sites

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/sid-meiers-civilization-6?hmb_source=search_bar
    (£12.50)

https://www.fanatical.com/en/game/sid-meiers-civilization-vi-deluxe-new

£16.79

https://www.cdkeys.com/pc/games/sid-meiers-civilization-vi-6-pc-steam

£7.99!!!!

I have purchased from all 3 and they are fine - some might be steam only keys but that really shouldn't be seen as a problem
  • Options
    MJWMJW Posts: 1,359
    I think the Tories will likely win a decent majority, but there's three reasons to my mind it will not be a landslide.

1.) Scotland - the Tories will lose seats which puts a dent in any prospects of a mammoth win.

2.) Low turnout among some groups of their target voters. What won the 2016 referendum for leave was arguably groups of voters who had not really bothered to vote for a while. Those voters may well turn out to get Brexit done. But maybe less likely to bother if it looks like a cakewalk and done deal. So things will correct a little if the Tories are still streets ahead going into polling day.

3.) Remainer kicking provided it's not at the expense of Corbyn. A similar reaction. There's lots of people in the South East and London in particular who are furious about Brexit, hate Boris, but not keen at all on Jeremy Corbyn running the country. If Labour look utterly screwed they might lend them - or the Lib Dems - their vote to try and stymie, or at the very least give the Tories a firm kick before they enact Brexit. The reason Corbyn has little hope of winning is that should the polling close - these people will not join his camp and may well cling to Boris for fear of something worse. So JC will fail to get the gains to surge beyond, even if not major, losses in midlands and the north with constituencies who are voting in accordance with their Brexit vote.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Cyclefree said:

No canvassing from Labour yet - Kinabalu, where are you?! A couple of leaflets in the last day or so emphasising that Tulip voted against triggering Article 50. Nothing from the Tories yet.

Back to the racing.

I've had a stinking cold and am now embroiled with builders. Still planning to do it though. See myself as a 'supersub' coming on with time running out. Hope it's not a Trevor Brooking & Kevin Keegan "too little too late" situation. Tulip still the favourite but LDs a live danger. Surely won't go Con but even that is not impossible. It's an interesting seat again. Our votes count at least 5.
    Afternoon kinabalu I hope your cold gets better.

I hope your supersub act doesn't turn out to be GT bringin on Alan Smith for Lineker in '92.

You think a 2010 result likely in Hampstead? That was very much a three way.
    I wonder if 2010 might be the national picture?

• Options
    TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,662

I've found that with Amazon on books. I reckon if I hold my nerve long enough I'll get them for free. What usually happens though is that after about ten days they whack up to double the original price. It's all in the timing.....
  • Options
    PeterCPeterC Posts: 1,274
    edited November 2019

How do you explain the total failure of the polling industry to pick up and reflect this?
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Floater said:

Civ 6 is great

plus see these sites

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/sid-meiers-civilization-6?hmb_source=search_bar
    (£12.50)

£16.79

£7.99!!!!

I have purchased from all 3 and they are fine - some might be steam only keys but that really shouldn't be seen as a problem
    Whilst Humble Bundle is totally legit I would treat CDKeys with extreme scepticism.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,313

I'm highly likely to get it. Last time I bought a proper Civ was in 1999 (console player). But it does seem a bit peculiar.

I bought Civ VI from Steam during a sale last December. But have yet to launch it #uselessanecdote
  • Options
    ozymandiasozymandias Posts: 1,503
    Floater said:

Civ 6 is great

plus see these sites

(£12.50)

£16.79

£7.99!!!!

I would wait for the Black Friday Steam sale myself....
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,365
    edited November 2019

dr_spyn said:

https://twitter.com/tombarton/status/1198245688359948288

Only LDs can unseat Tory.
    Only Labour can unseat Tory.

This reply is hilarious!
    https://twitter.com/7january1610/status/1198237499090444288
    Just for fun. (Except not really fun).
  • Options
    PeterC said:

How do you explain the total failure of the polling industry to pick up and reflect this?
    Because HorseBattery is hoping rather than looking for any accuracy.

Its not that long ago he was telling us over and over how the gap was narrowing - he let that die a death last weekend
  • Options
    spudgfshspudgfsh Posts: 1,312
    IanB2 said:

I bought Civ VI from Steam during a sale last December. But have yet to launch it #uselessanecdote
    I can't go near any Civ game if I want to get to bed before 4am. (not good when my alarm goes off at 6)
  • Options

The price is only locked when you make payment.

The multiple falls in price by 1p suggest that the vendor and the vendor's main competitor are using automated software to fight for the buy box.

Eventually on of the vendors will hit floor they have set and the price will ceases to subside. Sometime you get two moronic vendors, in which case you may get the product for nothing.
  • Options
    PeterC said:

I think of it in a similar way to how the polls got 2015 completely wrong.
  • Options
    ozymandiasozymandias Posts: 1,503
    edited November 2019
    spudgfsh said:

IanB2 said:

I can't go near any Civ game if I want to get to bed before 4am. (not good when my alarm goes off at 6)
    O/T But if anyone's played Elite Dangerous - that trip to the Galactic Centre and back can chew weeks of evenings.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

try it - its a worthy addition to the series
  • Options
    spudgfsh said:

IanB2 said:

Which is of course why I never launched it. It’s waiting for a serious illness or the like.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Cyclefree said:

Back to the racing.

Manuka honey for colds; but get the proper (expensive - sorry) stuff. I have a teaspoon every day and have been cold free for two years since I started on it... and I work with students, who have perennial and persistent viruses.
  • Options
    TudorRose said:

kinabalu said:

Cyclefree said:

Back to the racing.

Manuka honey for colds; but get the proper (expensive - sorry) stuff. I have a teaspoon every day and have been cold free for two years since I started on it... and I work with students, who have perennial and persistent viruses.
    I believe at least twice as much Manuka honey is sold than is made. Go figure.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Floater said:

Civ 6 is great

plus see these sites

(£12.50)

£16.79

£7.99!!!!

Whilst Humble Bundle is totally legit I would treat CDKeys with extreme scepticism.
    Myself and 2 of my sons have used it regularly with zero problems
  • Options
    PeterC said:

PeterC said:

There is some evidence that more 2017 Labour voters are in the don't know column than 2017 other party voters.

Might make a couple of points difference. CorrectHorseBattery seems to more bullish on labour and bearish on con than me though.
  • Options
    Floater said:

IanB2 said:

I still like Civ IV
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,496
    I use hydrogen peroxide (food grade, very diluted) ear drops when a cold threatens. Kills it dead. Even if you catch it too late it seems to shorten it.
  • Options
    PeterCPeterC Posts: 1,274
    MJW said:

I think the Tories will likely win a decent majority, but there's three reasons to my mind it will not be a landslide.

1.) Scotland - the Tories will lose seats which puts a dent in any prospects of a mammoth win.

2.) Low turnout among some groups of their target voters. What won the 2016 referendum for leave was arguably groups of voters who had not really bothered to vote for a while. Those voters may well turn out to get Brexit done. But maybe less likely to bother if it looks like a cakewalk and done deal. So things will correct a little if the Tories are still streets ahead going into polling day.

3.) Remainer kicking provided it's not at the expense of Corbyn. A similar reaction. There's lots of people in the South East and London in particular who are furious about Brexit, hate Boris, but not keen at all on Jeremy Corbyn running the country. If Labour look utterly screwed they might lend them - or the Lib Dems - their vote to try and stymie, or at the very least give the Tories a firm kick before they enact Brexit. The reason Corbyn has little hope of winning is that should the polling close - these people will not join his camp and may well cling to Boris for fear of something worse. So JC will fail to get the gains to surge beyond, even if not major, losses in midlands and the north with constituencies who are voting in accordance with their Brexit vote.

The polls and the impending 'Tory landslide' were given substantial coverage in the MSM in 2017. This time I have found that the polls have been much less featured in the news. How many people are going around mindful of another impending 'Tory landslide'?
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

Alistair said:

MaxPB said:

Alistair said:

ydoethur said:

Daily reminder...

Labour abolishing the Marriage Tax allowance only hits the 95% and not the 5%.

That's a £250pa per household impacted.

That will mostly be made up for by their free broadband, which is allegedly both FTTP and 30mbps.
    I have FTTP and have 30mbps.

The main thing compared to ADSL is that the 30mbps is rock fucking solid no matter the time of day or day of week.

As compared to the notional 16mbps we had on ADSL which could be any figure between that and half a Meg.
    You have fttp and only bothered with 30Mb?! If I had fttp I'd be getting the full 1Gb for sure.
    FTTP came with the new build I bought. Don't have a copper line at all.
    Sure, but why only 30Mb?!
    30mb/s should be enough for anyone.
    Can't even get 4K Netflix with that!
    I think HD is about 35M not to buffer. So is 4K about 100M ? I get what claims to be 4K on youtube with no buffering but I have 1G - B4RN - Broadband for the Rural North. This time last year I was on satellite and paying 4 times as much. Didn't even bother connecting the TV had about 10M to 20M and that was still for ever better than BT
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,897
    nunu2 said:

I have a feeling there won"t be as many libdems voting tactically for Corbyn as people think.

https://mobile.twitter.com/UKLabour/status/1197968171275358208

Most LDs thesedays seem as against the coalition as Labour are, I'm surprised a non-coalition candidate did not stand for leader. Sure they still back Jo Swinson, but they seem far more angry about those days than she is.
  • Options

Especially with Southwest rail drivers going on strike for a month starting Dec 1st - there's a lot of LD target seats there like Guildford which will be totally cut off from London. Smart move!
    Will be very difficult for Labour too as the RMT crazy strike plays completely into Boris's hands - "can you imagine the unions being able to do this on all trains in a nationalised revised British Rail?"

A few million pissed off commuters & their families won't be voting Labour that's for sure.
  • Options

This has been a problem on Northern Rail - seems like for ever
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

TudorRose said:

kinabalu said:

Cyclefree said:

Back to the racing.

I believe at least twice as much Manuka honey is sold than is made. Go figure.
    I think someone's proved that, which is why you need to get the genuine certified stuff. It is expensive but I used to get so many colds from students in the past that I just gave in. Perhaps Corbyn could offer it for free on the NHS; might get my vote. (Probably won't though).
  • Options

I use hydrogen peroxide (food grade, very diluted) ear drops when a cold threatens. Kills it dead. Even if you catch it too late it seems to shorten it.

Virgin's urine mixed with rats tail extract is effective too,
  • Options
    spudgfshspudgfsh Posts: 1,312
    kle4 said:

nunu2 said:

I have a feeling there won"t be as many libdems voting tactically for Corbyn as people think.

Most LDs thesedays seem as against the coalition as Labour are, I'm surprised a non-coalition candidate did not stand for leader. Sure they still back Jo Swinson, but they seem far more angry about those days than she is.
    There wasn't the greatest pool of MPs to pick from in the leadership election. If they can get to 30 MPs they'll have a good batch of candidates for next time.
  • Options
    On the subject of curing illnesses, vast quantities of intravenous antibiotics seems to work quite well on pneumonia. Not really a home remedy though...
  • Options
    SWR could just guarantee guards on trains and stop the strikes. SWT had the franchise for well over 10 years and had barely any strikes at all in that time. The franchise changed and suddenly it's all gone to shit.

It's not train drivers that are to blame - it has to be fundamental that people have the right to strike - it's a train company that doesn't give a crap about safety, or passengers, all they care about is profit.

The privatised train system is a complete disaster. It must be re-nationalised.
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:
    Some might say the Tory lead is strong and stable.

My coat?
    Depends. Do you know of any graphical representation of how that compares to 2017?
    Here's the updated version - https://imgur.com/CrgnecZ
    I see we have cross-over....Looks like both parties have hit a ceiling.
    yeah, I've been waiting for crossover on that chart.

2 and a bit more weeks tho'
  • Options

SWR could just guarantee guards on trains and stop the strikes. SWT had the franchise for well over 10 years and had barely any strikes at all in that time. The franchise changed and suddenly it's all gone to shit.

It's not train drivers that are to blame - it has to be fundamental that people have the right to strike - it's a train company that doesn't give a crap about safety, or passengers, all they care about is profit.

It's a complete disaster, yet carries more passengers than ever before. Unnecessary hyperbole.
  • Options

Guaranteed guards on each service doubles the chance that it can’t run because of crew shortages or strikes.
  • Options
    Mr. Floater, thanks, but I'm a PS4 player only. Get distracted easily enough on PC without videogames adding to that.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Floater said:

Alistair said:

Floater said:

Civ 6 is great

plus see these sites

(£12.50)

£16.79

£7.99!!!!

Myself and 2 of my sons have used it regularly with zero problems
    How long a time period? As Steam does its dodgy resold key bans in batches.
  • Options
    RobD said:

It's a complete disaster, yet carries more passengers than ever before. Unnecessary hyperbole.
    Having more passengers doesn't stop it being a disaster. I get the train because I have no choice, not because I rate the service.

And because of the fake idea of "competition" I get no choice, it's SWR or I don't go to work. So even that element of it is rubbish.
  • Options
    RobD said:

And here is your daily Labour antisemitism story...Sharing a video from the David Duke all about how the Jews control the world.

https://order-order.com/2019/11/23/leicester-labour-party-suspends-deputy-mayor/

You are odssessed with Guido lies

Get a life and get packing
    Which bit in that story is a lie?
    Unimportant if any of it is or none of it is - people have proudly stated they ignore stories from sources they dislike, as a sign of supposed rationality and virtue. It's bizarre - not all sources are equally credible, and some will definitely have partisan biases to take into account, but you'd think it impossible for Guido or the Canary or whoever to even accidentally have any facts the way people go on.
  • Options

I only travel on rail occasionally - do we really get that many that they need to be clamped down further?
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610

@Casino_Royale gave a very well reasoned argument against train guards and he would know more about this subject than almost anyone else here. On a more simple level, there aren't guards on most commuter rail lines and they are perfectly safe. The safety argument is bullshit and hopefully we win and disband all of the rail unions.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

I only travel on rail occasionally - do we really get that many that they need to be clamped down further?
    Yes and yes. It's a complete joke of a situation.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

@Casino_Royale gave a very well reasoned argument against train guards and he would know more about this subject than almost anyone else here. On a more simple level, there aren't guards on most commuter rail lines and they are perfectly safe. The safety argument is bullshit and hopefully we win and disband all of the rail unions.
    What do you propose we do with all the guards then, make them redundant?
  • Options
    SCons begging for pity sex..er..votes. Can anyone remember how the 'Vote us to stop Sturgeon' srategy went down in the Euros?

https://twitter.com/JamesKelly/status/1198265272114860033?s=20
  • Options

RobD said:

Having more passengers doesn't stop it being a disaster. I get the train because I have no choice, not because I rate the service.

And because of the fake idea of "competition" I get no choice, it's SWR or I don't go to work. So even that element of it is rubbish.
    So the solution to this is a state run railway that would be even more beholden to the unions?
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Yes.
  • Options
    Banterman said:

Will be very difficult for Labour too as the RMT crazy strike plays completely into Boris's hands - "can you imagine the unions being able to do this on all trains in a nationalised revised British Rail?"

A few million pissed off commuters & their families won't be voting Labour that's for sure.
    It's more the fact they won't be voting LD in case labour get in...
  • Options
    Floater said:

Civ 6 is great

plus see these sites

(£12.50)

£16.79

£7.99!!!!

Many thanks!
  • Options
    camel said:

Virgin's urine mixed with rats tail extract is effective too,
    For a moment I thought you meant the fragrance pumped out on Branson's trains.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

So the solution to this is a state run railway that would be even more beholden to the unions?
    Well the current system isn't working, or do you not agree about that?

If they want to privatise it more and get rid of subsidies entirely, then I'd even prefer that over the current system. The thing is that if the subsidies were removed, the TOCs would cease to exist.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,855
    PeterC said:

MJW said:

The polls and the impending 'Tory landslide' were given substantial coverage in the MSM in 2017. This time I have found that the polls have been much less featured in the news. How many people are going around mindful of another impending 'Tory landslide'?
    It's a shame we don't have more specifically Scottish polling. On the face of it, I'd expect their vote share in Scotland to be quite similar to 2017.
  • Options

SCons begging for pity sex..er..votes. Can anyone remember how the 'Vote us to stop Sturgeon' srategy went down in the Euros?

https://twitter.com/JamesKelly/status/1198265272114860033?s=20

Pity votes work a bit better in Westminster elections I would assume, given the last result, but its telling that they need to be that honest in their targeting, having tapped out positive reasons.
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

If they want to privatise it more and get rid of subsidies entirely, then I'd even prefer that over the current system. The thing is that if the subsidies were removed, the TOCs would cease to exist.
    It's not working because of the unions. The solution is to smash the unions to bits.
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

It's demonstrably working with more passenger miles than ever before!
  • Options
    edited November 2019

Mr. Floater, thanks, but I'm a PS4 player only. Get distracted easily enough on PC without videogames adding to that.

Console playing peasant :)

(Actually I do now have a PS4 set up next to the PC)
  • Options
    When can we have the robot train drivers?
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

It's not working because of the unions. The solution is to smash the unions to bits.
    I don't think the Unions are to blame for my train being on average 15 minutes late every day.
  • Options
    Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411
    When's the next poll?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Console playing peasant :)

(Actually I do not how a PS4 set up next to the PC)
    We are going to be play via Google Stadia soon, right? ;-)
  • Options
    BannedinnParisBannedinnParis Posts: 1,884
    edited November 2019
    https://twitter.com/twlldun/status/1198213048089100288

Oh my word, you have to say that is extraordinary
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Floater said:

IanB2 said:

I still like Civ IV
    Yes, for whatever reason I never really got into Civ V. But I could always add it to my list of games to own but not get around to playing. At least until I finish with the Outer Worlds.
  • Options
    theakestheakes Posts: 842
    Sunday 8th December 2019: Poll average will have Lib Dems coming up fast at 24%, Will catch the attention and could mean breaking upper 20's by 10pm on 12th, the point where seats do start to tumble.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

I don't think the Unions are to blame for my train being on average 15 minutes late every day.
    "Unexpected staff shortages". The driver got plastered last night and didn't show up again, but we can't sack the fucker because the unions will go apeshit.
  • Options

https://twitter.com/RAStap01/status/1198215063489908736

I have to admit such an unkind statement had occured to me in the past, but I was too gutless to say it.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

"Unexpected staff shortages". The driver got plastered last night and didn't show up again, but we can't sack the fucker because the unions will go apeshit.
    My train has a guard on it every day, it has never been late for this reason.

The most recently given reasons are: faulty doors (TOC problem), faulty coaches (TOC problem)
  • Options
    BannedinnParisBannedinnParis Posts: 1,884
    edited November 2019
    kle4 said:

I have to admit such an unkind statement had occured to me in the past, but I was too gutless to say it.
    Sorry, quoted the wrong image but not disagreeing with the man Stapleton.
  • Options
    One thing the public hate more than the rail commuting experience, is somebody buggering about with their commute....see Extinction Rebellion activists....
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    spudgfsh said:

kle4 said:

nunu2 said:

There wasn't the greatest pool of MPs to pick from in the leadership election.
    What do you mean, there was Jo, Ed and Layla and, um, the gay sex is not a sin not wait it is but I'll lie about it guy could have another go, er, or the liar Carmichael, or...Ok, fair enough.

I do feel for Jo though. I've not seen her really be objectionable, but even assuming some of the criticism of her is overblown, it does seem true people are not taking well to her.
  • Options
    alb1onalb1on Posts: 698

egg said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

Oh, and three dead people voted in Kirkby Lonsdale in June 2017 - or at least presented themselves to the tellers - computerised telling would stop that as well.
    It is entirely understandable. I used to play cricket against Kirkby Lonsdale when at Lancaster and it is a lovely place. But I am fairly sure that they had several of the dead playing for them.
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489

The UK train system could defiantly be much better, as in there is a lot of room for further improvement.

But has it been a disaster? - No defiantly not,

Passage numbers up massively
    Safety up - now the safest trains in the EU!!
    Punctuality up
    Custer satisfaction up
    Subsidy (exploding funding for the new HS2) down,

Sounds good to me! and is really the reason so many EU nations are now looking to copy us, and the EU itself is advocation imitation of our system i.e. splitting up track for services.

One easy way to significantly and rapidly improve would be to expand 'Open Access' as pioneered under labour.

But for best results maybe an imitation of the Japanese system, and sell the rail lines to the train operators.

but the worst option would be renationalise, and then let it stagnate as it becomes a play thing of the unions, slowly loosing market share, while taking a bigger and bigger subsidy.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Sorry, quoted the wrong image but disagreeing with the man Stapleton.
    I figured as much - he should have, like me until now, not admitted such a view/joke.
  • Options
    The rail line near me (Chiltern Rail) is state-run. It’s just that the state in question is Germany.
    It also manages quite happily without guards on most trains. In general the service on it is excellent and they have even opened up a completely new service to Oxford.
  • Options
    I don't see why people would take the piss out of Barneasian's model, just because it's different. I recall the outliers in the 2017 elections being laughed at and ridiculed (with a particularly memorable one being the Survation poll where the BBC laughed at him on TV) and yet they ended up being right.

I think in truth nobody knows what is going to happen and if I have ever sounded certain I can tell you I'm very much not.
  • Options

Would that apply in Scotland?
  • Options
    nunu2nunu2 Posts: 1,453
    Ave_it said:

When's the next poll?

Idk but Deltapoll is at 7pm
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Yes.
    The real debate is how much longer we need to have trained drivers rather than a minimum wage person with a panic button.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    edited November 2019
    kle4 said:

He is in mourning for the late Kaiser Franz Josef, his KuK Armee cap gives it away.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Yes.
    The real debate is how much longer we need to have trained drivers rather than a minimum wage person with a panic button.
    On the London Underground, it is political rather than technical.
  • Options
    alb1onalb1on Posts: 698

MaxPB said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Depends on the train. If it is a line affected by the guards dispute then it is the unions. If not, then it is Notwork Rail. Only a tiny minority of the dalays are down to something other than guards disputes, signalling, track issues, engineering overrunning or lack of track capacity. And Jez wants the clowns responsible for the infrastructure disaster to run the services as well. You could not invent it.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

Never ever if Corbyn wins.
  • Options

I don't see why people would take the piss out of Barneasian's model, just because it's different. I recall the outliers in the 2017 elections being laughed at and ridiculed (with a particularly memorable one being the Survation poll where the BBC laughed at him on TV) and yet they ended up being right.

I think in truth nobody knows what is going to happen and if I have ever sounded certain I can tell you I'm very much not.

You sound pretty certain about the polls being wrong.
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options

We're allegedly close to having driverless cars so why not driverless trains?
This discussion has been closed.