Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Given that Beaconsfield went Remain the odds on the Tory look

Comments

• Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,289
    viewcode said:

Animal_pb said:

Is it just me, or is there something reminiscent of the LBJ / relations with a goat story about this one?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/11/19/jo-swinson-warns-dangers-fake-news-story-attacking-squirrels/

I'm not sure drawing attention to this is the right approach, tbh...

I am on the tablet so unfortunately I can't post a link to the Blackadder Speckled Jim pigeon killer episode. Damn.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKhdJd1Nu74

Not on the tablet...
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 7,073
    We need a WWE style story twist. Populus making a return with a 25% lead or some such
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137

kle4 said:

JEZZA SURGE IS ON

twitter.com/SamCoatesSky/status/1196835559836200960

Clearly the 17 point was an outlier. 40 / 30 seems much more realistic. When you start talking mid 40's for the Tories, I just don't buy it.
    Agreed. I think well get circa 40/36 or 40/32 if labour do badly.
    28 for others is quite high in such a polarised landscape?

I hope 43/31
    I think 42 to low 30s is about the mark but with the north and Midlands worse than trend for labour
    Areas we have been told are trending worse for Labour: North, Midlands, Scotland, Wales.

Where is going good for Labour?
    Mandela House, Peckham. A bloke called Bob has gone from undecided to Labour.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Banterman said:

He deserves to be smashed out the park and sent back to his house in France. A total Brexit sabateur.

Let me guess you don't like the cut of his jib?
    Banterman displays the dark heart of Brexit.

Leavers are all about wanting to deport people they don't like.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,136

Chris said:

JEZZA SURGE IS ON

Clearly the 17 point was an outlier. 40 / 30 seems much more realistic. When you start talking mid 40's for the Tories, I just don't buy it.
    A ten-point lead is pretty much identical to the one at the same stage in 2017.

As in 2017, we have wide disparities between the leads reported in different polls - larger than they should be on the basis of just sampling error.

I don't remember a "Eureka" moment when the pollsters realised what had gone wrong in 2017 and corrected it.
    There was momentum in 2017 though, the pollsters did catch an ongoing trend towards Labour. So far that isn't repeating itself.

Courtesy of RobD:
    https://imgur.com/A3iD3GQ
    There has been a trend of similar magnitude towards Labour so far (up about 4% so far this month). But there has also been a trend towards the Tories this time, whereas in 2017 the Tories were fairly static up to this point.

It was only in the last three weeks in 2017 that the Tories dropped by about 5 points and Labour rose by about 5 points in the polls. But the final polls in 2017 were still underestimating Labour by about 3 points.
  • Options
    timmotimmo Posts: 1,469
    I'm.a bit confused..who is the gold standard pollster these days..I thought within these confines Survation were considered to be?
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    You Gov will be releasing a snap poll after the debate .
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,389

TOPPING said:

Banterman said:

He deserves to be smashed out the park and sent back to his house in France. A total Brexit sabateur.

I'm still reeling from the revelation that @HYUFD is of Huguenot stock. But then again he is a diehard Remainer so it just goes to show - you can take the boy out of France...
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,554
    edited November 2019
    https://twitter.com/NoahCRothman/status/1196840035359830016

China signs defense agreement with South Korea as U.S. angers Seoul with demand for $5 billion troop payment
  • Options
    Selebian said:

viewcode said:

RobD said:

148grss said:
    It'll be interesting to see the overlap between people who revel in this hacking and those that got so worked up about the news of the world hacking phones.
    There is a presumption of privacy regarding the contents of your mobile's answering machine.
    There is no presumption of privacy regarding tweets.
    Aren't these direct messages (private) though? If tweets no need to hack as already public.
    I dont like Banks, but agree that direct messages seem far more similar to voicemails than tweets in terms of privacy.
  • Options
    timmotimmo Posts: 1,469

RobD said:

Updated plot -- https://imgur.com/A3iD3GQ

Not really a Corbyn surge, I'm afraid. :p

Not yet crossover.
    It's like an option..the time decay starts to hit had in about 2 days
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Banterman said:

I'm still reeling from the revelation that @HYUFD is of Huguenot stock. But then again he is a diehard Remainer so it just goes to show - you can take the boy out of France...
    I am proud to say I do not have an ounce of French heritage in me.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,969
    edited November 2019
    timmo said:

I'm.a bit confused..who is the gold standard pollster these days..I thought within these confines Survation were considered to be?

The Gold Standard is to ignore the perceived Gold Standard
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,946

kle4 said:

JEZZA SURGE IS ON

What makes you think they will get to 36%. The past two weeks it seems like they have hit a ceiling of 30%.
    I think the possibility of a Johnson majority will concentrate minds in the same was as last time, but it will be slightly less effective hence being 4 or so behind.
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818

Chris said:

JEZZA SURGE IS ON

As in 2017, we have wide disparities between the leads reported in different polls - larger than they should be on the basis of just sampling error.

I don't remember a "Eureka" moment when the pollsters realised what had gone wrong in 2017 and corrected it.
    The trend is very different to 2017 though.
    Thankfully!
    I will be genuinely glad when this GE is over, provided Jezza doesn't win. I am not fan of Bonking Boris, but the far left dangerous bollocks spouted especially from McDonnell gives me sleepness nights.
    Wait til we see their manifesto....
    This is the sort of crap they're saying when they want to win votes and not scare the horses. Imagine what they'd do in a budget given free reign if they managed to do so?

Or have a rainbow coalition all demanding pork for their own interests?
    It would be correctable if we were allowed another fair election, of course.

I'm far from convinced we would be, however.
  • Options
    timmo said:

Whichever one shows the biggest Tory lead, of course!
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Obviously I haven't looked at the Arron Banks direct messages, but those that have seem quite surprised by the degree of palliness between the Guardian's acerbic Marina Hyde, beloved of Remainers everywhere, and Arron Banks.

both sides were run by extraordinarily wealthy individuals and should be better expressed as a civil war between two sides of the elite.
    Yes! We can argue about how many fo the elite on both sides, one more than the other I'd personally say, but it was an argument between the elites.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985
    Chris said:

timmo said:

That’s my policy. :)
  • Options
    Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411
    Looks like the 10% CORBYNISTA swing is on!

I wish I hadn't put my bet on CON gain Ogmore now
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,919
    Selebian said:

viewcode said:

RobD said:

148grss said:
    It'll be interesting to see the overlap between people who revel in this hacking and those that got so worked up about the news of the world hacking phones.
    There is a presumption of privacy regarding the contents of your mobile's answering machine.
    There is no presumption of privacy regarding tweets.
    Aren't these direct messages (private) though? If tweets no need to hack as already public.
    Oh, I thought they were tweets. I don't know the privacy for direct messages. If they were private then yes, the OP had a point. Provided no criminal activity is involved, private communications should be sampled only for statistical purposes and anonymised to prevent individuals being identified.
  • Options
    Chris said:

timmo said:

The Gold Standard are the ones that send me an embargoed copy of the polls.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Banterman said:

This kind of thing always makes me think of Dame Edna Everage wishing she had a bit of Pole in her.
  • Options
    Chris said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Banterman said:

This kind of thing always makes me think of Dame Edna Everage wishing she had a bit of Pole in her.
    You need to get your mind out of the gutter and be virtuous like me.

I mean you wouldn't hear me using this line

Me to a pretty female: Have you got any Yorkshire in you?

Pretty female: No

Me: Well, would you like some?
  • Options
    Chris said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Banterman said:

Lenny Henry, shirley.
  • Options

https://twitter.com/NoahCRothman/status/1196840035359830016

China signs defense agreement with South Korea as U.S. angers Seoul with demand for $5 billion troop payment

The world is changing. The US is quickly losing power and China and Russia are the gainers, not the EU (or UK).
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Banterman said:

Not at all. The chap can stay in his beloved EU in his French chateau and stare at his French medals in peace.

He's done his best to wreck Brexit despite being elected to deliver it. He won't be missed.
  • Options
    Chris said:

Chris said:

JEZZA SURGE IS ON

There was momentum in 2017 though, the pollsters did catch an ongoing trend towards Labour. So far that isn't repeating itself.

Courtesy of RobD:
    https://imgur.com/A3iD3GQ
    There has been a trend of similar magnitude towards Labour so far (up about 4% so far this month). But there has also been a trend towards the Tories this time, whereas in 2017 the Tories were fairly static up to this point.

It was only in the last three weeks in 2017 that the Tories dropped by about 5 points and Labour rose by about 5 points in the polls. But the final polls in 2017 were still underestimating Labour by about 3 points.
    So for safety, the Tories should be looking for a lead of 13 points or more.

What is it again?
  • Options

Chris said:

JEZZA SURGE IS ON

The trend is very different to 2017 though.
    Thankfully!
    I will be genuinely glad when this GE is over, provided Jezza doesn't win. I am not fan of Bonking Boris, but the far left dangerous bollocks spouted especially from McDonnell gives me sleepness nights.
    Wait til we see their manifesto....
    This is the sort of crap they're saying when they want to win votes and not scare the horses. Imagine what they'd do in a budget given free reign if they managed to do so?

Or have a rainbow coalition all demanding pork for their own interests?
    It would be correctable if we were allowed another fair election, of course.

I'm far from convinced we would be, however.
    Are we talking about Labour or the Conservatives, with Boris suspending parliament, purging dissenters and shaking the magic money tree?
  • Options

We need a WWE style story twist. Populus making a return with a 25% lead or some such

Somehow can't see Corbyn delivering the People's Elbow although Boris could hit him with a Stonecold Stunner.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Chris said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Banterman said:

Lenny Henry, shirley.
    Sir Lenworth was born in Dudley, I think?
  • Options

Chris said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Banterman said:

You need to get your mind out of the gutter and be virtuous like me.

I mean you wouldn't hear me using this line

Me to a pretty female: Have you got any Yorkshire in you?

Pretty female: No

Me: Well, would you like some?
    The old ones are the best.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Chris said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Banterman said:

Lenny Henry, shirley.
    Yes, I think the joke was :'Do you have a little Caribbean blood in you?.......Would you like some?"
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 7,073
    Banterman said:

Somehow can't see Corbyn delivering the People's Elbow although Boris could hit him with a Stonecold Stunner.
    OMG! That's John Prescotts music!
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,387

kle4 said:

JEZZA SURGE IS ON

28 for others is quite high in such a polarised landscape?

I hope 43/31
    I think 42 to low 30s is about the mark but with the north and Midlands worse than trend for labour
    Areas we have been told are trending worse for Labour: North, Midlands, Scotland, Wales.

Where is going good for Labour?
    I think Scotland is relatively better than other areas in that the decline for Labour is not so large. It looks awful because 2017 wasn't that great to start with. Presumably London is better. The South generally may also be better for reasons similar to Scotland.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Chris said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Banterman said:

Lenny Henry, shirley.
    Yes, I think the joke was :'Do you have a little Caribbean blood in you?.......Would you like some?"
    Neither as crude nor as funny as Dame Edna's.
  • Options
    The Duke of York made racist remarks about Arabs during a state banquet for members of the Saudi royal family, a former home secretary claimed today.

Jacqui Smith said that she and other guests were left “slack jawed” by Prince Andrew’s comments during a conversation at the reception in 2007.

The allegation comes after a separate claim was made by a former Downing Street adviser that the Duke of York used the n-word during a meeting at Buckingham Palace.

The palace has denied that the duke, the subject of intense scrutiny since his BBC interview over his friendship with the sex offender Jeffrey Epstein, used racist language on either occasion.

Mrs Smith, was home secretary from 2007-09, made her disclosure in an LBC podcast in which she was discussing the general election campaign with her fellow broadcaster Iain Dale.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/prince-andrew-was-racist-about-arabs-at-state-banquet-claims-former-home-secretary-jacqui-smith-wrbqjgzxw
  • Options
    SunnyJimSunnyJim Posts: 1,106

Does anyone think Boris has anything to gain from the debates, all i can see is him losing ground

Better to do them than have weeks of damaging 'frit' stories, as May would attest i'm sure.

I'm hoping Boris turns them in to an absolute bore fest.
  • Options
    My view is that the Tories will be very sticky on the downside, in defence, but face a mighty battle to make progress against Labour on the upside.

So very unlikely they’ll drop below 300 seats but probably rather hard work to even get to 340 seats.
  • Options
    Chris said:

TOPPING said:

Chris said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Banterman said:

Lenny Henry, shirley.
    He did that routine. "Do you have any African in you... do you want some..."
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    The YouGov change is really about turnout . Higher here for Labour than the Tories. Having said that the Labour poll number could have been even higher as overall turnout in the 25 to 49 range is down to just 55% certain to vote . If that improves into the 60+ range that of course would help Labour .

• Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,290
    I'm confused!

People on previous page talking about a 40-30 poll.

Bizarrely nobody has actually posted what the poll is - all we have is a link to Sam Coates.

Go to his twitter and poll is 42-30!

Can anyone explain?

Surely if a poll is going to be debated it would be worth someone posting what the poll actually is!!!
  • Options

My view is that the Tories will be very sticky on the downside, in defence, but face a mighty battle to make progress against Labour on the upside.

So very unlikely they’ll drop below 300 seats but probably rather hard work to even get to 340 seats.

agree
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

That should set things up nicely for an increased Con lead with YouGov for Mega Polling Saturday! :D
    It's the base that they'll compare their immediate post-debate poll to. If it's an outlier in Labour's favour to balance the previous outlier in the Tories favour, then it would make the post-debate comparison harder for Labour.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,353
    MikeL said:

In previous campaigns, the debates have been the lead story on the TV news and BBC News website etc for 3 days - the day before, actual day and day after each debate.

Well today it's nowhere near the main story on the BBC News website with just three hours to go.

OK, this debate is on ITV but that didn't stop the BBC last time.

No question it is much, much less prominent than before.

It's the lead story on the BBC website in my version. Perhaps they do different sites for different regions?
  • Options

• Options
    nico67 said:

The YouGov change is really about turnout . Higher here for Labour than the Tories. Having said that the Labour poll number could have been even higher as overall turnout in the 25 to 49 range is down to just 55% certain to vote . If that improves into the 60+ range that of course would help Labour .

They have changed the turnout weightings??
  • Options
    I remember them saying that shortly there would be an election...
  • Options
    I want to know which way Labour voters (or any solidly left-wing voters) will go..

(1) Will they “wake up” in the final ten days and do whatever it takes to deny Boris a majority and the Tories they hate a win?

(2) Will they accept Boris is going to win anyway, that his policy platform isn’t too bad (accepting Brexit must happen/hung round the neck of the Tories, even though they despise it) and decide it’s better to apply some radiotherapy to Labour to ensure it loses so badly that, post the election, it purges itself of the Far Left once and for all?

They can’t have both. If me reading of the typical Labour voter is right they’re far more likely to go for (1).
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,908

I've got deja vous
  • Options
    ArthurArthur Posts: 63
    edited November 2019

DavidL said:

Half an hour of tonight's program is going to be about Brexit apparently. I am not entirely sure that is enough time for Jeremy to explain his policy.

Arf!
    What comic-type interjections do you post when you hear sarcastic quips that aren't of such rubbish quality?

Fifteen minutes is a lot shorter than the 9 months it took Theresa May to file the Article 50 letter and the 27 months it took Tory governments under two different prime ministers to ... er ... bring about two post-referendum general elections in the hope that they might be able to find a Parliament supportive of their Brexit efforts. What are they going to do if the next Parliament is hung too and they cling on to office? Propose another election? Because it's obvious what a Labour minority government would do: try to find a consensus that the less Powellite among the Tories could support.
  • Options
    My anecdata is that no-one I’ve met at work today has mentioned politics or the debates once.

In fact, if I didn’t come on here, I’d have forgotten they were on myself.

By contrast, there have been a couple of Prince Andrew jokes.
  • Options
    Chris said:

TOPPING said:

Chris said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Banterman said:

Lenny Henry, shirley.
    Neither as crude nor as funny as Dame Edna's.
    Black chap in "Event Horizon" makes coffee for the crew, then asks Joely Richardson's character:

"How about you, doc? You want something hot and black inside you?"
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,813

The Tories are heading for about 350 to 360 seats as things stand IMO.
  • Options

nico67 said:

No it was just the participants intention to vote . The last poll Tories had a small lead here it’s Labour in certain to vote .
  • Options
    Chris said:

TOPPING said:

Chris said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Banterman said:

Lenny Henry, shirley.
    Yep, Shirley is near Croydon.
  • Options

MikeL said:

In previous campaigns, the debates have been the lead story on the TV news and BBC News website etc for 3 days - the day before, actual day and day after each debate.

Well today it's nowhere near the main story on the BBC News website with just three hours to go.

OK, this debate is on ITV but that didn't stop the BBC last time.

No question it is much, much less prominent than before.

It's the lead story on the BBC website in my version. Perhaps they do different sites for different regions?
    BBC News website headline for me is still "Babies and Mums died ....."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,749
    eristdoof said:

I've got deja vous
    Again?
  • Options
    nico67 said:

nico67 said:

No it was just the participants intention to vote . The last poll Tories had a small lead here it’s Labour in certain to vote .
    Thanks
  • Options
    Or fortunate, because the first points to what the second is all about.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,883
    nico67 said:

I am back thanks to Robert BJO1 is no more!!
  • Options

My anecdata is that no-one I’ve met at work today has mentioned politics or the debates once.

Yes, the only people who've discussed the election with me in real life are my family, a couple of friends and my fellow local Lib Dem party members. :) Let's face it... we're a strange bunch here.
  • Options
    It's a shame the Wiki polls listing page is being updated so slowly.

I know it needs to be protected from idiots deliberately posting false info but surely someone competent in the know on here could get it done quickly?
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,083

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Banterman said:

My grandmother is French don’t @ me
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,365
    Polls. The best poll now is the one you believe to be right. Since none of them are or likely to be correct.......
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Banterman said:

That explains a great many things, only someone of French stock would think Yorkshire isn't in the North.
  • Options
    eristdoof said:

Chris said:

TOPPING said:

Chris said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Banterman said:

Lenny Henry, shirley.
    Shirley is in Solihull mate.
  • Options

I want to know which way Labour voters (or any solidly left-wing voters) will go..

(1) Will they “wake up” in the final ten days and do whatever it takes to deny Boris a majority and the Tories they hate a win?

(2) Will they accept Boris is going to win anyway, that his policy platform isn’t too bad (accepting Brexit must happen/hung round the neck of the Tories, even though they despise it) and decide it’s better to apply some radiotherapy to Labour to ensure it loses so badly that, post the election, it purges itself of the Far Left once and for all?

They can’t have both. If me reading of the typical Labour voter is right they’re far more likely to go for (1).

My Dad roughly fits into category (2), though he isn't relaxed about Johnson's policies but he's doing it anyway, and his criticism is more specifically of Corbyn, rather than the Labour left in general.

I think it's possible that Johnson will be so far ahead that tactical voting will look futile.
  • Options

nico67 said:

Glad to hear that BJO is zero-indexed. :)
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Andy_JS said:

The Tories are heading for about 350 to 360 seats as things stand IMO.
    As things stand, yes. But who knows, there might be a Rettel Veivoniz in the last week. This is a vicious election. I'll probably close off my lay (at 1.07) of a Tory majority at the end of this week, hopefully at 1.14 or longer, after a Tory dip following tonight's debate - I'll close it sooner if Boris makes a complete balls-up - but maybe at a loss, and then wait until election night.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

I know it needs to be protected from idiots deliberately posting false info but surely someone competent in the know on here could get it done quickly?

Well I wish they'd be a bit slower with changes to the table format - two changes in the last two days make it a right faf to keep scraping the results off into a spreasheet!
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Locally there is a feel that the Lab to LD defectors are 95% back in the Lab column.

BXT party standing seen as a good thing taking more from Con than Lab.

"A bit of a 2017 feel" in respect of position improving since GE called apparently.

Hope they are right.

Myself I reckon a small Tory overall majority nationally.
  • Options

Yes, the only people who've discussed the election with me in real life are my family, a couple of friends and my fellow local Lib Dem party members. :) Let's face it... we're a strange bunch here.
    You have TWO friends?!

:wink:
  • Options

MikeL said:

Well I wish they'd be a bit slower with changes to the table format - two changes in the last two days make it a right faf to keep scraping the results off into a spreasheet!
    Had to get rid of the parties that don’t stand a chance. Quite why Lab is still listed is beyond me.

:D
  • Options
    edited November 2019

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Banterman said:

That explains a great many things, only someone of French stock would think Yorkshire isn't in the North.
    Well my girlfriend is from Harrogate which is basically a wealthy London Borough.
  • Options

nico67 said:

How do we know you're not an imposter?
  • Options

nico67 said:

Shh
  • Options
    One alternative that Casino left out is that if you were a labour voter in the North or Midlands, you might simply be a no-show this time around. That way you haven't betrayed your heritage, but you haven't supported Corbyn either.

Interesting that John Mann was happy to bet Curtice on turnout. Maybe that's what he senses on the ground?

That might give some seats to the tories, but maybe not too many.
  • Options

nico67 said:

Shh
    Oops sorry 🤐
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,874
    Green Party Election Broadcast.

Five minute lecture from Caroline Lucas who oddly is in black and white and far too close to the screen.

Weird.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

Tell the jokes come on not heard any yet
  • Options

eristdoof said:

I've got deja vous
    Again?
    You are in a good mood what's happened?
  • Options
    nichomar said:

Oh, they’re not stand-up jokes. Just people comparing other colleagues to Prince Andrew when they tell a white lie to wind each other up etc.
  • Options

nico67 said:

Good, I hated that guy :)
  • Options
    BBC has lost live coverage of the final two rounds of the Masters.

Nothing on BBC website yet but Sky reporting it now has all four rounds exclusively live for the first time.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Five minute lecture from Caroline Lucas who oddly is in black and white and far too close to the screen.

Weird.

Who isn’t one of either of their bizarre co-leaders.

Double-weird.
  • Options
    On Topic I reckon 1/3 Tory hold is fantastic VFM.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Weird.

I'm a broken record, but they'll never do as good as their musical number PEB, and it sounds like they're going for the opposite.
  • Options
    Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411
    The key to CON is to get some of the seats we lost to LAB in 2010 and 2015 back (probably won't be Hove or ECA) but maybe places like Crewe, Ipswich, Reading W, even Kensington and Canterbury.

We are not going to be getting all these Northern seats where we haven't won before although maybe a few like Newcastle UL and Wrexham.

20 to 25 gains from LAB might be enough!

• Options

eristdoof said:

Chris said:

TOPPING said:

Chris said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Banterman said:

Lenny Henry, shirley.
    Shirley is in Solihull mate.
    Want a fight about it?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shirley,_London
    :smiley:
  • Options

Locally there is a feel that the Lab to LD defectors are 95% back in the Lab column.

BXT party standing seen as a good thing taking more from Con than Lab.

"A bit of a 2017 feel" in respect of position improving since GE called apparently.

Hope they are right.

Myself I reckon a small Tory overall majority nationally.

I fear a thumping Tory majority tbh and hope I am wrong. But if I am not...

Reasons to be cheerful one, two, three:

1. Farage is stuffed for good.
    2. The spending/taxation Overton window has moved deep into Labour territory.
    3. Corbyn will be gone... his replacement must be better... surely?
  • Options
    On topic first time I have seen joy and Morrisey in the same sentence.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,997
    Nearly time to put the corn on for popping and open a nice bottle of red.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

BBC has lost live coverage of the final two rounds of the Masters.

Nothing on BBC website yet but Sky reporting it now has all four rounds exclusively live for the first time.

Nothing of value was lost.
  • Options

nichomar said:

Oh, they’re not stand-up jokes. Just people comparing other colleagues to Prince Andrew when they tell a white lie to wind each other up etc.
    We’ve had an endless supply of “no that couldn’t have been me, I was at a Pizza Express in Woking”.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    Ashcroft poll asked people what they think the GE outcome will be:

Con maj 22%, Con largest party but no maj 34%, Lab maj 7%, Lab largest but no maj 8%

Betting markets think Con maj 64%, Lab maj 2%ish.

• Options

One alternative that Casino left out is that if you were a labour voter in the North or Midlands, you might simply be a no-show this time around. That way you haven't betrayed your heritage, but you haven't supported Corbyn either.

Interesting that John Mann was happy to bet Curtice on turnout. Maybe that's what he senses on the ground?

That might give some seats to the tories, but maybe not too many.

If I were guessing I’d say the Tories will drop 3-4 in Scotland net, and lose about 14 to the LDs. And maybe they can make about 30-35 gains from Labour, with about 5 in Wales and 25-30 in England, with a bias towards the Midlands and ultra-Brexity areas.

That gives them about 330-335 seats.

After that I’m really struggling to see how they top that unless the whole Labour hoover dam breaks, which I see no polling evidence for at present.
This discussion has been closed.