Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Given that Beaconsfield went Remain the odds on the Tory look

SystemSystem Posts: 11,007
edited November 2019 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Given that Beaconsfield went Remain the odds on the Tory look too short and Grieve too long

Oddschecker

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187
    First like the Tories in Beaconsfield.
  • Options
    From BBC....

Labour is putting forward one candidate of Indian heritage in the 2019 general election across its 39 safest seats. That is not going down well in the Leicester East seat, home to a large Indian community, where Keith Vaz is not seeking re-election. Politics Live reporter Greg Dawson spoke to people of Indian heritage about “strained” relations with the party they have traditionally supported.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    Second
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,943
    I have met Joy Morrissey she is a hard-working campaigner and will win easily, South Bucks also voted Leave, I also cannot see many Labour voters voting for Grieve
  • Options
    The Afghan Taliban have freed two Western academics held hostage since 2016 in exchange for three imprisoned senior militants.

American Kevin King and Australian Timothy Weeks were released three years after being kidnapped outside the American University of Afghanistan in Kabul where they worked as professors.

The three militants arrived in Qatar from Afghanistan as part of the swap.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-50471186

I wonder what the Donald will be saying about this?
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,793
    So Labour's election offering today is to spend millions of pounds of tax payers money paying compensation for things that happens 250 years ago as well as throwing companies off the London stock exchange if they aren't green enough... Not doubt leading to years of litigation between said companies and government wasting more millions of tax payers money.

And the days not even half over yet! :D
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    FPT
    eek said:

Swinson appears to be turning a golden opportunity into a disaster, shes really very poor. She might also single handedly save the Labour party at this rate

The LDs are facing a less severe version of the problem the CUKs had. You can't just say that you're sensible and that you're centrist and wait for the voters to run into your arms.

For one thing, most voters have a set of values and priorities, and want a party they feel will back those values. There's really no group to whom the lib dems have signalled "We're on your side, and come what may we've got your back."

In addition to that, there seems to be some assumption that the default state for a party is "sensible centrist". What have the lib dems actually done to show they're sensible? Just because you support maintaining the status quo doesn't automatically make you a paragon of hard-nosed pragmatism. Ask yourself- imagine the lib dems somehow won a majority. And now imagine that they proceeded to do all sorts of loopy nonsense with their newfound power. Would you really be surprised about the latter?
    I think it's worse than that. People pick the least worst candidate that has a chance of winning the seat and in most places (as demonstrated by 30 years of LD leaflets) it isn't the LD candidate.

So a lot of people will go into the booth and pick their least worst option from the Tory / Labour candidates.
    I actually want to do some more research and maybe write a header about this but my belief is that the LDs overestimate how much effect "lib dems can't win here" has on their overall vote share. Obviously it has some effect, but if the Cleese argument ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gv4Abt3sZU ) was correct you'd expect things like the Cleggasm or the most recent post-EU-election spike in lib dem support to be self-sustaining, and to keep snowballing after it reached critical mass. Instead it just fades away like bounces normally do.

• Options
    Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411
    More like 1/400 for Morrisey

No-one is going to vote for that CORBYNISTA helper Grieve which would only help to bring in a Corbyn government.

CON maj 40%
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    Morrissey is favourite? I didn;t even realise Britain First was running.
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    HYUFD said:
    This is both bizarre and true. I've always wondered in particular why Corbyn voted the way he did. Not like he has much history of homophobia AFAIK.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    Interesting:

BritainElects has been acquired by the New Statesman.
  • Options
    Much though I would like Dominic Grieve, one of the most distinguished, principled and independent-minded MPs of the last parliament, to win, I fear he has little chance.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,077
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited November 2019

Interesting:

Has it? Or are they just doing working together on the election polling analysis? The report i saw was "in association with", which I took to be the same as the way Thrasher works in association with Sky on elections.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,625

Boris needs to lose the bluster and the wordplay and just play calm and statesmanlike, look reasonable, no raising of voice. It's the way that he carries himself that will be the most important thing.

His strength is his wild energy and charisma - if he tries to restrain himself he might trip up.
    HYUFD said:
    What an odd thing to publicise in that case by labour
  • Options
    Grieve could be in with a chance. The locals will know that, independent or not, he's politically a diehard conservative, so will have no concerns on that score. It all depends how much they want to screw over Boris, Central Office and the ERG types. If they've got a sense of humour they'll probably go for it.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,932
    Grieve stands as much chance of retaining his seat as Blair had of winning it in 1983.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
  • Options
    He should be. That rate is on the left-hand side of the Laffer curve where the gradient is positive.
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,437
    edited November 2019
    Sorry Mike, I don’t think Grieve’s got a chance.

He has very much been a TINO in recent months and particularly obstructionist and unhelpful to a conservative government. I cannot see the Tory faithful of Beaconsfield taking particularly well to that. I suspect he’ll garner a few thousand votes but quite possibly at the expense of remainery parties as much as the Tories.
  • Options

OT this seems bad:

twitter.com/ProudResister/status/1196624562252726272

I am surprised the police scandal under his watch as mayor didn't make more waves.
  • Options
    I would expect that Grieve is more likely to lose by a wide margin, at least 10% of the vote, say, then to win. Whether that makes the odds to back him value depends on how wide you think the probability distribution is.

While I generally emphasise uncertainty, I don't think it's that uncertain, and I'd have thought that Grieve was a firm outsider.

I would have thought that at least two-thirds of the Tory share in 2017 was Leavers, which would give the Tory candidate this time a firm 40-45% of the vote, even if all Tory Remainers voted for Grieve.

That then means that Grieve has to squeeze the Labour/Green vote down to ~10% - down at the disastrous levels polled by Tony Blair at the 1982 by-election - as well as winning over all Tory Remainers. I just can't see it. He'd be doing pretty well to come second 20% behind.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,372

Much though I would like Dominic Grieve, one of the most distinguished, principled and independent-minded MPs of the last parliament, to win, I fear he has little chance.

You forgot most vilified.
    But otherwise, agreed.
  • Options
    Ah, old Dominic "decision of the electorate in the referendum must be respected" Grieve!

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903
    Let's remember this thread when the Tories win by an overwhelming margin there.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    HYUFD said:

//twitter.com/tomhfh/status/1196478026927788032?s=20

Uncle Thickie didn't get confused and go through the wrong lobby?
  • Options

He should be. That rate is on the left-hand side of the Laffer curve where the gradient is positive.
    If no other countries have reduced rates below 19% and the rate in other countries is higher how do we know what the actual Laffer curve is?

• Options
    edited November 2019
    Julian Assange is off to the USA for the rest of his days
    https://twitter.com/davidallengreen/status/1196776396078637057
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    edited November 2019
    Quincel said:

HYUFD said:
    This is both bizarre and true. I've always wondered in particular why Corbyn voted the way he did. Not like he has much history of homophobia AFAIK.
    Perhaps he's just phobia-curious?
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870

Interesting:

Has it? Or are they just doing working together on the election polling analysis? The report i saw was "in association with", which I took to be the same as the way Thrasher works in association with Sky on elections.
    The page footer on britainelects.com now says "© copyright 2019 New Statesman Ltd. Privacy policy | Terms and conditions", with the two links leading to the NS privacy policy and T&Cs, and the top right says "An election website by NewStatesman". So it looks like it to me.
  • Options

Ah, old Dominic "decision of the electorate in the referendum must be respected" Grieve!

Lying git.....
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,640
    edited November 2019
    eek said:

If no other countries have reduced rates below 19% and the rate in other countries is higher how do we know what the actual Laffer curve is?

We can never know as it moves over time. At best, we can guess, which is why politicians love it as their claims can never be disproved.
  • Options

OT this seems bad:

twitter.com/ProudResister/status/1196624562252726272

I am surprised the police scandal under his watch as mayor didn't make more waves.
    It did come up at a previous debate - that was what made me think he isn't the guy: Not that the scandal was appaulingly bad, but his defence was incredibly weak.
  • Options
    edited November 2019

Interesting:

The page footer on britainelects.com now says "© copyright 2019 New Statesman Ltd. Privacy policy | Terms and conditions", with the two links leading to the NS privacy policy and T&Cs, and the top right says "An election website by NewStatesman". So it looks like it to me.
    Fair enough....not everybody is happy.

https://twitter.com/SmithSpeak/status/1196519744314183680?s=20
  • Options

HYUFD said:

//twitter.com/tomhfh/status/1196478026927788032?s=20

Uncle Thickie didn't get confused and go through the wrong lobby?
    I doubt it - it was probably a rebelling to support some Muslim or other views. It's worrying but hardly surprising labour decided to focus on something without doing a bit of research first.
  • Options
    "At GE2017 Grieve won with a whopping 65.3% of the vote nearly 44% ahead of LAB in second place."

At GE2017 the Conservatives won with a whopping 65.3% of the vote nearly 44% ahead of LAB in second place.

• Options

FPT

eek said:

Swinson appears to be turning a golden opportunity into a disaster, shes really very poor. She might also single handedly save the Labour party at this rate

The LDs are facing a less severe version of the problem the CUKs had. You can't just say that you're sensible and that you're centrist and wait for the voters to run into your arms.

For one thing, most voters have a set of values and priorities, and want a party they feel will back those values. There's really no group to whom the lib dems have signalled "We're on your side, and come what may we've got your back."

In addition to that, there seems to be some assumption that the default state for a party is "sensible centrist". What have the lib dems actually done to show they're sensible? Just because you support maintaining the status quo doesn't automatically make you a paragon of hard-nosed pragmatism. Ask yourself- imagine the lib dems somehow won a majority. And now imagine that they proceeded to do all sorts of loopy nonsense with their newfound power. Would you really be surprised about the latter?
    I think it's worse than that. People pick the least worst candidate that has a chance of winning the seat and in most places (as demonstrated by 30 years of LD leaflets) it isn't the LD candidate.

So a lot of people will go into the booth and pick their least worst option from the Tory / Labour candidates.
    I actually want to do some more research and maybe write a header about this but my belief is that the LDs overestimate how much effect "lib dems can't win here" has on their overall vote share. Obviously it has some effect, but if the Cleese argument ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gv4Abt3sZU ) was correct you'd expect things like the Cleggasm or the most recent post-EU-election spike in lib dem support to be self-sustaining, and to keep snowballing after it reached critical mass. Instead it just fades away like bounces normally do.

The evidence from countries with proportional voting systems does not provide support for the idea that voters will flock to vote for a centrist party once free of the shackles of FPTP.

Although I'm a supporter of electoral reform, centrist politicians also have to learn how to be persuasive rather than relying on what they see as the self-evident truth of their opinion. They're not the only people who could do with learning this, of course.
  • Options
    eek said:

We don't, for sure, but we can make an educated guess that no company is going to make a big fuss about whether it's 19% or 17%, so it won't alter behaviour.

In the particular case of Corporation Tax it's especially important to look at the tax as a whole - the UK raised the total tax take over the last few years by lowering the headline rate and at the same time tightening up on loopholes and anomalies. There may be more to do on the latter but the headline rate is now competitive by international standards and there are higher priorities - the government is right to prioritise business rates for reform, they are seriously distorting.
  • Options

FPT

eek said:

The evidence from countries with proportional voting systems does not provide support for the idea that voters will flock to vote for a centrist party once free of the shackles of FPTP.

Although I'm a supporter of electoral reform, centrist politicians also have to learn how to be persuasive rather than relying on what they see as the self-evident truth of their opinion. They're not the only people who could do with learning this, of course.
    They also need clearer policies that really bring change. Saying they are better than the others isnt enough.
  • Options
    Quincel said:

HYUFD said:
    I hadn't heard of this. I wonder whether he voted against the Blair government on everything in 2003, perhaps as part of a nihilistic anti-Blair crusade following the Iraq War, or if it was just on LGBT rights.
  • Options
    NoSpaceNameNoSpaceName Posts: 132
    edited November 2019
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:
    Perhaps still some moderates left in the Labour Press Team?
  • Options
    eek said:

The irony is that had he gone to Sweden in the first place he would not now be awaiting extradition to the US, and would probably have been out of prison even if he had been convicted.

He must have been really worried about what his reputation would have suffered with a rape conviction.
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,913
    eek said:

Where he will receive a pardon for everything in return for the rest of the dirt he has on the dems
  • Options

eek said:

We don't, for sure, but we can make an educated guess that no company is going to make a big fuss about whether it's 19% or 17%, so it won't alter behaviour.

In the particular case of Corporation Tax it's especially important to look at the tax as a whole - the UK raised the total tax take over the last few years by lowering the headline rate and at the same time tightening up on loopholes and anomalies. There may be more to do on the latter but the headline rate is now competitive by international standards and there are higher priorities - the government is right to prioritise business rates for reform, they are seriously distorting.
    Business rate reform would be a far better argument than saying the money would be spent on the NHS.

Sadly the Tories said the money would go to the NHS so where does the money that would allow Business Rate reform come from?
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

So Labour's election offering today is to spend millions of pounds of tax payers money paying compensation for things that happens 250 years ago as well as throwing companies off the London stock exchange if they aren't green enough... Not doubt leading to years of litigation between said companies and government wasting more millions of tax payers money.

And the days not even half over yet! :D

What is the next category on from "bat shit crazy"?
  • Options
    148grss148grss Posts: 3,679

Quincel said:

HYUFD said:
    I hadn't heard of this. I wonder whether he voted against the Blair government on everything in 2003, perhaps as part of a nihilistic anti-Blair crusade following the Iraq War, or if it was just on LGBT rights.
    He didn't vote against, he wasn't in the chamber:

https://www.theyworkforyou.com/divisions/pw-2003-03-10-109-commons/mp/10133

Someone on twitter said it was because he was at an anti Iraq war event, although over 200 MPs were absent for that vote, and I would imagine that not wanting to be on the record as pro LGBT would have been a consideration for some of them. But considering his previous votes on LGBT issues, including on child adoption in 02 and age of consent in 98, I would give him the benefit of the doubt.
  • Options

Interesting:

That's simple with BXP not standing in some seats the leave vote went to the other leave party. It twas inevitable
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    eek said:

eek said:

Business rate reform would be a far better argument than saying the money would be spent on the NHS.

Sadly the Tories said the money would go to the NHS so where does the money that would allow Business Rate reform come from?
    I'm sure they can find some more money down the back of the sofa, or make the reforms revenue neutral.
  • Options
    eek said:

Better ask Boris!

Actually I think business rates could be improved a lot without necessarily losing income from the tax. The structure is all wrong, with an excessive rate being paid by some businesses and none at all, or very little, by others. The well-intentioned measure to exempt small businesses altogether has just made that worse, with very arbitrary rules.
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,882
    I've felt pretty comfortable betting against independents so far in Ashfield and Birkenhead. They just won't be able compete with party machines.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    eek said:

Interesting:

That's simple with BXP not standing in some seats the leave vote went to the other leave party. It twas inevitable
    I know...it was more that some Corbynista think Britain Elects / New Statesman / whole polling industry is against the Messiah.
  • Options
    Gabs3Gabs3 Posts: 836

eek said:

Where he will receive a pardon for everything in return for the rest of the dirt he has on the dems
    Assange would not have had to wait 7 years if he faced justice after credible accusations of sexual assault. And he would not face extradition to the US had he not been a Russian puppet and leaked national security secrets.

Maybe he will get a pardon, but that would just show how far the US has fallen in terms of the rule of law. The current presidency is the most crooked in history, easily surpassing Nixon.
  • Options

Interesting:

As I posted the other day, I think you can explain it with facebook advertising dominating the campaign that isn't visible to the traditional political commentariat. Still, it will give them something to talk about when they catch up on it next summer.
  • Options

Interesting:

As I posted the other day, I think you can explain it with facebook advertising dominating the campaign that isn't visible to the traditional political commentariat. Still, it will give them something to talk about when they catch up on it next summer.
    I am certainly getting the paper version of that from the Lib Dems, no Facebook though.
  • Options
    So we have cleared up the issue of Jezza not being a homophobe, just his comments on the Jews and their powerful influential media stuff then.
  • Options
    He said what other people believed, not that they were his views. Seems like a storm in a teacup.
  • Options
    148grss said:

Quincel said:

HYUFD said:
    He didn't vote against, he wasn't in the chamber:

Someone on twitter said it was because he was at an anti Iraq war event, although over 200 MPs were absent for that vote, and I would imagine that not wanting to be on the record as pro LGBT would have been a consideration for some of them. But considering his previous votes on LGBT issues, including on child adoption in 02 and age of consent in 98, I would give him the benefit of the doubt.
    Could he have been paired?

Having said that, sound bites and internet ads are not known for “giving the benefit of the doubt”.
  • Options
    PaulMPaulM Posts: 613
    Quincel said:

HYUFD said:
    Seems he abstained, as did over 200 other MPs including Diane Abbott. The repeal passed by a huge margin, so maybe they were in committees or paired.
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,398

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:
    Original tweet slightly disingenuous - it implies that Corbyn voted against repeal, but in fact he was absent. No idea whether he had a good reason to be absent, but he did not actively oppose repeal.

Johnson, yes, voted for. He was on the liberal wing at the time. Maybe he still is.
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976

Is he any more principled and independent minded than Jeremy Corbyn?

Are these necessarily positive attributes?
  • Options
    Prince Andrew made 'unbelievable' racist comments about Arabs including camel jokes at state dinner for Saudi Royal family, claims ex-Home Secretary Jacqui Smith

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7701201/Prince-Andrew-unbelievable-racist-comments-Arabs-claims-ex-Home-Secretary-Jacqui-Smith.html
  • Options
    PaulM said:

Quincel said:

HYUFD said:
    Seems he abstained, as did over 200 other MPs including Diane Abbott. The repeal passed by a huge margin, so maybe they were in committees or paired.
    All true. Nevertheless, Boris voted for it and they didn’t. Probably not a good idea for the Labour Party to raise it as an issue, particularly if they don’t want all the other things Blair did in that parliament taken into consideration.
  • Options
    The Tea Party isn't a racist organisation, though sadly far too many in the GOP in general are racist so there is overlap. The Tea Party includes in its number an African American GOP Senator. The Tea Party started as a movement about economic concerns and the TEA acronym stands for Taxed Enough Already. Indeed read the blurb about the Tea Party on Wikipedia and race/migration don't feature in it at all: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tea_Party_movement

If I was American I would vote Democrat over Donald Trump's vile GOP but I could vote for a Reagan-style GOP and I wish the GOP was more like Tea Party movement and less like the racist nationalist movement that has taken over.
  • Options

Interesting:

I think the act of Farage stepping down in half the seats helped Boris's message that he has a "real" Brexit in all seats.
  • Options
    RobD said:

eek said:

eek said:

I'm sure they can find some more money down the back of the sofa, or make the reforms revenue neutral.
    Interesting tidbit, hospitals pay business rates, and theres currently a case going through the courts challenging that. If the challenge succeeds and the nhs exempt will be a boon to the local hospital but a crushing reduction in rates for your local council.
  • Options

The Tea Party isn't a racist organisation, though sadly far too many in the GOP in general are racist so there is overlap. The Tea Party includes in its number an African American GOP Senator. The Tea Party started as a movement about economic concerns and the TEA acronym stands for Taxed Enough Already. Indeed read the blurb about the Tea Party on Wikipedia and race/migration don't feature in it at all: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tea_Party_movement

If I was American I would vote Democrat over Donald Trump's vile GOP but I could vote for a Reagan-style GOP and I wish the GOP was more like Tea Party movement and less like the racist nationalist movement that has taken over.
    At the time they were deeply concerned about the deficit, weirdly their concern disappeared once Obama was gone.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Gabs3 said:

eek said:

Assange would not have had to wait 7 years if he faced justice after credible accusations of sexual assault. And he would not face extradition to the US had he not been a Russian puppet and leaked national security secrets.

Maybe he will get a pardon, but that would just show how far the US has fallen in terms of the rule of law. The current presidency is the most crooked in history, easily surpassing Nixon.
    In what specific sense is he crooked? There has been a campaign to impeach him since exactly 19 minutes after inauguration (Washington post article 12.19 pm jan 20 2017), the current impeachment proceedings are supported by democrats only, not a single Republican voted for and Schiff is not allowing due process. National security secrets were unsafely held on Clinton's illegal private server apparently. The rot in America runs right through the Democrats and parts of the Republican party.
    What, precisely, has Trump done that is crooked? Not just, I dont like him, hes a fruitcake nonsense, but actual corruption?
  • Options

I mean, Reagan's GOP was obviously racist, still running a southern strategy, literally known for making the welfare queen and young buck narratives racialised. Everything Atwater said in that famous quote is exactly how Reagan campaigned.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,619
    edited November 2019
    Quincel said:

HYUFD said:
    [Deleted: response based on a false premise]
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

The Tea Party which started organising the moment Obama became president? Yeah, totally not racist.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

At the time they were deeply concerned about the deficit, weirdly their concern disappeared once Obama was gone.
    And didn't exist whilst Bush was President and racking up the debt. Just inexplicable.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,711
    On topic: regarding Grieve at 5/2, let`s compare with other similarly priced opportunities: Norfolk North 2/1 (was 3/1) Tories, Richmond Park 7/2 Tories.

I`d say that Tories have a better chance of winning either Norfolk North or Richmond Park compared to Grieve winning in Beaconsfield.
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    edited November 2019
    FPT: Does anyone know if the Labour party plans to provide reparations to compensate historic victims of Ian Lavery?
  • Options

Interesting:

I am finding on many left spaces a desire to unskew the polls, al la the Romney campaign v Obama where they just assumed polling was biased in favour of Obama.

I can understand why, and obviously the last GE polling did underestimate Labour, but not hugely. I generally think Britain Elects does a goodish job of the polling aggregate, even if I wished I lived in a world where those numbers weren't true.
  • Options
    Selebian said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:
    Original tweet slightly disingenuous - it implies that Corbyn voted against repeal, but in fact he was absent. No idea whether he had a good reason to be absent, but he did not actively oppose repeal.

Johnson, yes, voted for. He was on the liberal wing at the time. Maybe he still is.
    Are they talking about the same vote? The link suggests a March vote and a November "on this day".
  • Options
    Selebian said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

I think this is the relevant vote. Could be wrong
    https://www.publicwhip.org.uk/division.php?date=2003-03-10&number=109&display=allpossible&sort=name

Can't yet find a relevant vote on 18th, but the relevant act came into force on that day, I think.
  • Options
    Endillion said:

FPT: Does anyone know if that Labour party plans to compensate victims of Ian Lavery?

Yes, by screwing up and him losing Wansbeck
  • Options

Gabs3 said:

eek said:

In what specific sense is he crooked? There has been a campaign to impeach him since exactly 19 minutes after inauguration (Washington post article 12.19 pm jan 20 2017), the current impeachment proceedings are supported by democrats only, not a single Republican voted for and Schiff is not allowing due process. National security secrets were unsafely held on Clinton's illegal private server apparently. The rot in America runs right through the Democrats and parts of the Republican party.
    What, precisely, has Trump done that is crooked? Not just, I dont like him, hes a fruitcake nonsense, but actual corruption?
    On the basis of no fire without wood he does seem to have a lot of former advisers who are now subject to criminal proceedings or have already been found guilty in such proceedings.

Personally I expect it will be health issues that result in Trump leaving rather than impeachment https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/trump-hospital-visit-health-doctor-ill-sean-conley-walter-reed-a9208606.html
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Quincel said:

HYUFD said:
    Apart from the "voting against Section 28 repeal" thing?????
    He didn't vote against it, he was absent, as were more than 200 MPs, so I assume pairing. Someone on twitter said he was at an anti Iraq war event that day, and I found a HardTalk radio slot about the UN and Iraq War on the same date, so it looks reasonable to me.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressreleases/stories/2003/03_march/10/hardtalk_pletka_corbyn.shtml
  • Options
    Selebian said:

Selebian said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

https://www.publicwhip.org.uk/division.php?date=2003-03-10&number=109&display=allpossible&sort=name

Can't yet find a relevant vote on 18th, but the relevant act came into force on that day, I think.
  • Options
    eek said:

Gabs3 said:

eek said:

On the basis of no fire without wood he does seem to have a lot of former advisers who are now subject to criminal proceedings or have already been found guilty in such proceedings.

Personally I expect it will be health issues that result in Trump leaving rather than impeachment https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/trump-hospital-visit-health-doctor-ill-sean-conley-walter-reed-a9208606.html
    That is true although it says more about them and is evidence of poor judgement rather than corruption. Having said that I expect Michael Flynn to withdraw his guilty plea and get off based on what has come out about his being set up
  • Options
    Alistair said:

The Tea Party which started organising the moment Obama became president? Yeah, totally not racist.
    They objected to his economic policies. Race wasn't discussed. So yes totally not racist.

Or do you think it is not possible to oppose the economic policies of a black leader without mentioning race, migration or anything else without being racist? Did opposing Obama automatically make you racist?

If so did opposing Thatcher automatically make you sexist?
  • Options
    Selebian said:

Selebian said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

A lot of Tories who were there voted against, including big names like IDS, Grieve and David Davis.
  • Options
    Selebian said:

Selebian said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Received royal assent in September, so unlikely the Commons were voting on it in November.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited November 2019

Indeed the deficit is an economic not a racial concern. Given the way appalling racists like Trump have completely taken over the GOP I'm not going to for one second defend the GOP of 2019. It - like Labour over here - should not be voting for until the racist element is excised.

But when was that video filmed? Somehow I doubt that grainy footage is Buttigieg speaking in 2019?
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,619

Gabs3 said:

eek said:

It's a fair question. IIUC the specific thing is using the power of the office to persuade a foreign national and state to generate information against a political opponent. Technically that is crooked.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    148grss said:

Selebian said:

Selebian said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

A lot of Tories who were there voted against, including big names like IDS, Grieve and David Davis.
    Yes, but those are all evil baby-eating tories.
  • Options

Selebian said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Are they talking about the same vote? The link suggests a March vote and a November "on this day".
    Think it became law "on this day" after getting through the Lords fairly slowly, but the relevant commons vote seems to be the one in March.
  • Options

Alistair said:

They objected to his economic policies. Race wasn't discussed. So yes totally not racist.

Or do you think it is not possible to oppose the economic policies of a black leader without mentioning race, migration or anything else without being racist? Did opposing Obama automatically make you racist?

If so did opposing Thatcher automatically make you sexist?
    Can you accept that people may not organise themselves in a group they outwardly accept as racist, and yet do and say racist things and have racist motivations?

Because by your definition as long as you don't say that race is the reason for doing obviously racist things, you aren't racist.

Also, of interest:
    https://www.jstor.org/stable/25790447?seq=1#metadata_info_tab_contents
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,576
    edited November 2019
    We need to see the whole tape.

He describes it as a group "that's identified with the Tea Party" not that it was the Tea Party and it cuts after 40 seconds.....I wonder what he said next?

Warren supporters running scared. The NYT covered this in October.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/23/us/politics/buttigieg-campaign-moderate.html
  • Options
    RobD said:

148grss said:

Selebian said:

Selebian said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Yes, but those are all evil baby-eating tories.
    Cameron voted the same way as Corbyn: absent.
  • Options
    Ave_it said:

More like 1/400 for Morrisey

No-one is going to vote for that CORBYNISTA helper Grieve which would only help to bring in a Corbyn government.

CON maj 40%

There is no chance that any 2017 Tory voters will vote for Grieve - so he has to get his votes from the Lib Dems - ain't going to happen.
This discussion has been closed.