Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Focus on Wokingham where two ex-CON MPs are slugging it out ag

Comments

• Options
    JasonJason Posts: 1,614

Tories have moved out a bit on majority to 1.65. was 1.57 some of yesterday

Hopefully reading too much into this but feeling a bit uneasy!

Bad polling incoming?
    Here comes the collective nervous breakdown.................
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    Also includes Chorley (Speaker). Full list of non-Tory seats with no BXP candidate: https://t.co/K94aPzU9jy
  • Options

AlistairM said:

As a straw in the wind. My parents have lived in Wokingham for over 40 years. My mother has voted Conservative pretty much her entire life. She voted Remain (unlike many others in the family) and was tempted to vote Lib Dem. When I spoke to her a few days ago she thinks there is too much risk in that of letting Jeremy Corbyn in so she will probably vote Tory. I think she is also uncomfortable with the Revoke LD policy due to the damage that would do to our democracy.

I said from the getgo that i think the lib dem revoke policy was a terrible idea. They really should have stuck with second referendum.
    That may or may not be the case for this election, but when the next one comes around after the years of political and economic chaos that Brexit will bring, the Lib Dems will be remembered as the ones who tried hardest to stop it and, hopefully, benefit accordingly.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,726
    edited November 2019
    noisywinter said: "Tories have moved out a bit on majority to 1.65. was 1.57 some of yesterday

Hopefully reading too much into this but feeling a bit uneasy!"

I`m finding this election very perplexing. On one hand I want a Tory majority to finish off Corbyn and decide on Brexit (even though I voted Remain); on the other hand I see that a Labour coalition of some sort could provide a path to a confirmatory referendum and not risk the union like (I think) the Boris deal does.

I wish it were possible for Lab/LD/SNP/PC/Green to say NOW what a coalition would look like and confirm the aim would be to instigate a referendum with a futher GE to follow, with Corbyn/Swinson joint leaders.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited November 2019

Are you not slightly concerned that the public might go for free owls for all? I certainly am.

Free owls is one thing. Free owls, bears, dinosaurs [lots of those], penguins, sloth bears, a whole Noah's Ark of freebies, gives Boris an open goal, and I don't think the Tories will repeat Theresa May's incomprehensible mistake of giving Labour a free ride.
    So far they are... instead all this too clever by half arty PPB and stupid shit posting a bus meme.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Such a shame, my local Lib Dem candidate has just claimed to my wife that their position on Brexit is to put Johnson's deal to the people.

Not true mate and he has been told that.

I thought he was better than that.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

Bad polling incoming?
    Reaction to by-elections more likely.
  • Options
    No BXP in NW Durham. Cheerio Pidcock
  • Options

Bad polling incoming?
    Reaction to by-elections more likely.
    They were poor
  • Options

Also includes Chorley (Speaker). Full list of non-Tory seats with no BXP candidate: https://t.co/K94aPzU9jy

Tories get a free run at Liverpool Walton.

Arf!
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Floater said:

Such a shame, my local Lib Dem candidate has just claimed to my wife that their position on Brexit is to put Johnson's deal to the people.

I think they are going to try and have claim policy is both ways....if hung parliament, referendum, if they win revoke.
  • Options

Oh goody, Corbyn says the Labour manifesto will 'knock your socks off'.

I can't wait. The hundreds of billions they've been spaffing around so far are hilarious enough, but we're going to get even more lunacy.

Are you not slightly concerned that the public might go for free owls for all? I certainly am.

The lower middle class has seen stagnating wages / life improvements and with the tories just saying get brexit done, i am genuinely worried a bit like brexit people might go ahh f##k lets roll the dice.
    and turn into Venezuela on steroids

I think a majority will see this as being Labours attempt to sell us a bridge
    Will sure fire up the waverers though
  • Options
    diedwoolie said: "UKIP 42 runners and riders, they should end up under 50,000 votes nationally"

I just wonder whether Leavers may be enticed into voting UKIP where TBP is not standing, perhaps in the mistaken belief that Farage is still associated with UKIP. Could be enough to help LP/LDs in the odd constituency?
  • Options
    On the local Lib Dems - it wasn't the candidate but someone was trying on facebook to give impression the Lib Dems were doing better here than they really are.

Turns out local council votes were being used.....

Heard that somewhere before....
  • Options
    Floater said:

I can't wait. The hundreds of billions they've been spaffing around so far are hilarious enough, but we're going to get even more lunacy.

The lower middle class has seen stagnating wages / life improvements and with the tories just saying get brexit done, i am genuinely worried a bit like brexit people might go ahh f##k lets roll the dice.
    and turn into Venezuela on steroids

I think a majority will see this as being Labours attempt to sell us a bridge
    Will sure fire up the waverers though
    You know that, i know that, but i do really worry...especially as at the moment the tories tories lead seems to be mostly down to a massive lead among the working class..and i remain skeptical that flat cap fred from Workington is going to be voting tory in any great number.
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818

?????

There is a guy called Peter Telford standing
  • Options
    ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312

AlistairM said:

As a straw in the wind. My parents have lived in Wokingham for over 40 years. My mother has voted Conservative pretty much her entire life. She voted Remain (unlike many others in the family) and was tempted to vote Lib Dem. When I spoke to her a few days ago she thinks there is too much risk in that of letting Jeremy Corbyn in so she will probably vote Tory. I think she is also uncomfortable with the Revoke LD policy due to the damage that would do to our democracy.

I said from the getgo that i think the lib dem revoke policy was a terrible idea. They really should have stuck with second referendum.
    That may or may not be the case for this election, but when the next one comes around after the years of political and economic chaos that Brexit will bring, the Lib Dems will be remembered as the ones who tried hardest to stop it and, hopefully, benefit accordingly.
    That really is wishful thinking. Haven't the electorate already forgotten about tuition fees?
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,003

Where is the conservative offer?
    ¸„.-•~¹°”ˆ˜¨ G€𝓽 𝔹𝓇𝓔𝓧Į𝓉 ∂σᶰᗴ ¨˜ˆ”°¹~•-.„¸
  • Options
    dyedwoolie said:
    "No BXP in NW Durham. Cheerio Pidcock"

I think BXP are standing there. But thanks for bringing this constituency to my attention. I didn`t realise how precarious Piddock`s position is. Electoral Calculus have her as only 51% to hold seat.

• Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190

?????

Wrong seat, but there is a BXP candidate:

https://tinyurl.com/yk4htdv3
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Streeter said:
    The subsidised network will offer wholesale access to all operators on an open, transparent and non-discriminatory basis, and will therefore incentivise private investments in the provision of high-speed internet services to households and businesses in the target areas.

It isnt free owls...it is state investment in the infrastructure, not monopoly state provider of the service ie. Not really any different to what previous UK governments have done.
  • Options

Election Weather Watch

Polling day now falls within the Met Office long range forecast period and they have this to say.

"Through early December, confidence remains very low but there could be a period of more settled weather across much of the UK. This would bring drier conditions for many through the day with a chance of frost and fog developing overnight."

You couldn't hope for a more benign forecast at this time of year, particularly with the ground so saturated.

Ooooh a frosty walk for a 7am vote. How festive!
    Dense fog would be a downer on turnout.....
  • Options
    Floater said:

In response he says "my response is the reality"

Someone better let Jo know
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Streeter said:
    I'd trust the economy with Varadkar/ Fine Gael over Corbyn/ Labour though.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

?????

apols Telford is North Durham
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,822

Bad polling incoming?

You never know during elections but there wouldn't usually be much polling now until Saturday evening (and all those polls would currently be in the works)

I would guess this is more likely to be a reaction to Labour's Broadband policy announcement - It may be madness but I guess Lab are dominating the news day today.
  • Options
    Mr Peirot (?): From last thread:
    I think you well knew that the "fuck off" was figurative. Basically, it is a question of whether you believe the man in Whitehall knows best about how to run a business. All of these organisations are businesses. Not all business people are great business people, but I have yet to meet a "public servant" who has the first clue - and why should they, they have never had the experience, any more than I have experience of brain surgery. Richard Branson is far from perfect, but I would more trust him on matters of business than a numbskull like Corbyn.
  • Options
    Floater said:
    "Such a shame, my local Lib Dem candidate has just claimed to my wife that their position on Brexit is to put Johnson's deal to the people."

Well, in reality that IS their position. Their Revoke policy only applies if they win a majority (which of course they won`t).
  • Options
    Labour 6th on first preferences in Inverness council by-election:

https://twitter.com/HighlandCouncil/status/1195311955734597632
  • Options
    Floater said:

To be fair isnt that their policy 99% of the time they have a chance to influence it? It is only 1% of the time when they form a majority government their policy is revoke. It is arguable which one is their "main" policy.
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,442
    Pulpstar said:

Stocky said:

Pulpstar said: "Labour leader betting - Pidcock, Rayner & particularly Cooper all look too short right now.

Long Bailey looks to be the chosen one I'm thinking."

Agreed - is she too young though? LP has a bee in its bonnet about electing a female - otherwise I`d say Starmer by a mile.

Cooper = lay

I'm hoping the PLP/establishment candidate is Thornberry rather than Starmer.
    For betting purposes or because she'd be better leader/more likely winner among sane(ish) choices?

Isn't she supposed to be losing her seat? Or was that just the Sun getting over excited?
  • Options

Good news for fascist haters, the BNP standing just 1 candidate. Also, for the first time I can remember not a single National Front candidate

Shouldn't that be good news for everyone?
    It would be if they hadn't all moved to UKIP or the Brexit Party
  • Options
    Plus - despite the best efforts of the beeb presenter the NHS might not be the weapon La la Labour need it to be

https://order-order.com/2019/11/15/caller-interrupts-bbc-presenter-defend-boris-nhs/
  • Options

AlistairM said:

That really is wishful thinking. Haven't the electorate already forgotten about tuition fees?
    The Lib Dems benefitted greatly in 2010 from their opposition to the invasion of Iraq 7 years previously. I can see something similar resulting from Brexit. Tuition fees are insignificant in comparison with the repercussions of either of these events.
  • Options
    Prince Andrew Epstein interview will be dominating the news at the weekend.
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092

Bad polling incoming?
    Speaking of which, why no Yougov yesterday? Aren't they supposed to be daily now?
  • Options
    camelcamel Posts: 815
    Betting:

Punters wondering whether Ultra Remainer Mary 'Houdini' Creagh can hold on again in Brexity marginal Wakefield might be wondering who will replace long]-time and well-known blue team adversary Antony Calvert.

It's Imran Nasir Ahmad-Khan, resident of Bowness-on-Windermere,
    Cumbria.

If Cumbrians aren't to the liking of Wakey Brexiters, The Brexit Party candidate is from Flat Cap and Ferret Central, aka Windsor.

If southerners don't float the brexity boat, Ryan Kett is standing for the Yorkshire Party. They make Faragists look like Europhiles.

Lab hold, methinks. 6/5.
  • Options
    Selebian said:

Pulpstar said:

Stocky said:

Pulpstar said: "Labour leader betting - Pidcock, Rayner & particularly Cooper all look too short right now.

Long Bailey looks to be the chosen one I'm thinking."

Agreed - is she too young though? LP has a bee in its bonnet about electing a female - otherwise I`d say Starmer by a mile.

Cooper = lay

I'm hoping the PLP/establishment candidate is Thornberry rather than Starmer.
    For betting purposes or because she'd be better leader/more likely winner among sane(ish) choices?

Isn't she supposed to be losing her seat? Or was that just the Sun getting over excited?
    Betting purposes, I don't have a dog in the fight otherwise.
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    A very long time ago, I used to live in John Redwood's constituency. I never voted for him, though.

What rather puzzles me about these ex-Conservative MPs who are standing as Lib Dems is, what are they, really? They only crossed the floor because of their beliefs about Brexit, and there's more to a political stance than that. Will the new intake of Lib Dem MPs end up undermining the Lib Dem philosophy?

Good afternoon, everyone.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

noisywinter said: "Tories have moved out a bit on majority to 1.65. was 1.57 some of yesterday

Hopefully reading too much into this but feeling a bit uneasy!"

I`m finding this election very perplexing. On one hand I want a Tory majority to finish off Corbyn and decide on Brexit (even though I voted Remain); on the other hand I see that a Labour coalition of some sort could provide a path to a confirmatory referendum and not risk the union like (I think) the Boris deal does.

I wish it were possible for Lab/LD/SNP/PC/Green to say NOW what a coalition would look like and confirm the aim would be to instigate a referendum with a futher GE to follow, with Corbyn/Swinson joint leaders.

Your conundrum looks similar to my own, though I don't want Corbyn anywhere near the levers of power. Basically all options are different versions of shit flavoured stew, with varying degrees of shittyness
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,995
    edited November 2019

Another SNP victory assured and under 7% for Labour
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,289
    Floater said:

That is true, unless the LDs get a majority. Hence it is true
  • Options

Bad polling incoming?
    Speaking of which, why no Yougov yesterday? Aren't they supposed to be daily now?
    They are giving their mega panel a first run. I expect they allow time for panellists to respond and expect it's aimed at the Sundays
  • Options
    AramintaMoonbeamQCAramintaMoonbeamQC Posts: 3,609
    edited November 2019
    malcolmg said:

Another SNP victory assured
    Another double digit Lab drop, they're going to get hammered at the GE:

https://twitter.com/BallotBoxScot/status/1195313292367028229
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    Get Brexit done is now looking very stale . Any chance of the Tories bringing forward some interesting plans or are they just going to spend the next two weeks trashing Labours .

• Options
    NooNoo Posts: 2,380
    Good afternoon, islamophobes
  • Options
    Streeter said:
    And we all know the EU have a wonderful record of sensibly and successfully distributing money don't we.....
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

You are becoming the SNP version of HYUFD. The unquestioning belief and loyalty is really quite quaint.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

https://twitter.com/maitlis/status/1195241401451196416
  • Options
    I stand corrected. Nw durham has BXP but cheerio pidcock anyway ;)
  • Options
    nico67 said:

Get Brexit done is now looking very stale . Any chance of the Tories bringing forward some interesting plans or are they just going to spend the next two weeks trashing Labours .

Well there is a lot to trash... ;)
  • Options
    nico67 said:

Depends what you mean by interesting plans?

Do you find a Venezuelan future interesting?
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Another SNP victory assured
    Another double digit drop, they're going to get hammered at the GE:

https://twitter.com/BallotBoxScot/status/1195313292367028229
    Labour are vanishing before our eyes in Scotland...... Their vote has a half life of about 3 months.
  • Options
    AnneJGP said:

A very long time ago, I used to live in John Redwood's constituency. I never voted for him, though.

What rather puzzles me about these ex-Conservative MPs who are standing as Lib Dems is, what are they, really? They only crossed the floor because of their beliefs about Brexit, and there's more to a political stance than that. Will the new intake of Lib Dem MPs end up undermining the Lib Dem philosophy?

Because the Tory Party has moved strongly in the direction of Redwood. Centrist people are no longer welcome. There has been a tradition of Orange Book liberalism in the LDs for some time, and of course the two parties share common history. There is very little difference between a genuine One Nation Tory and an Orange Book LD. Much more in common with each other than a One Nationer has with the ERG
  • Options

malcolmg said:

You are becoming the SNP version of HYUFD. The unquestioning belief and loyalty is really quite quaint.
    I think he means this by election result is assured, after the transfers. He's probably right.
  • Options
    AnneJGP said:

Parties evolve. The Conservative and Unionist party are now an English Nationalist party a la UKIP. They just dont fit there so are looking for a home.

The Libdems have the choice of staying as they have been or becoming a broader church to accommodate the views of politicians and voters exiting the Tory and/or Labour party.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Pulpstar said:

https://twitter.com/maitlis/status/1195241401451196416
    That room looks like it's bigger than some people's houses.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    malcolmg said:
    "Another SNP victory assured and under 7% for Labour"

What`s your current prediction on the number of SNP seats?
  • Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461
    edited November 2019
    Pulpstar said:

Labour leader betting - Pidcock, Rayner & particularly Cooper all look too short right now.

Long Bailey looks to be the chosen one I'm thinking.

Pidcock might not even be an MP soon. Oddschecker says you can back her at 2/5. Or the blues at 8/1. Either worth a punt I think.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

nico67 said:

Well there is a lot to trash... ;)
    The Labour Party is certainly making it easy for them. It is the most inept opposition in my memory and probably all of modern British political history, and it is highly regrettable.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,827

kle4 said:

CBI condemn labour on broadband

Just makes the base like it more. The message is labour want to give you free stuff and business/ the tories want to stop them.

Just a question of how much promising free stuff is too much, causing people to doubt t it.
    As Peter Kellner said this morning labour do not have the confidence of the public in economic matters and in the end I very much doubt all this free stuff is going to impress any other than labour's base
    However, by moving the Overton window to the left economically it enables the tax-and-spend fuck-business element in the Conservative Party. I assume Corbyn will lose the election but by converting the Conservatives into something more left wing than Callaghan or even Miliband, he will have one it by proxy. Just as Blair was Thatcher's greatest achievement, so is Boris.
  • Options

nico67 said:

More Tory scaremongering . The UK needs a radical change and I’m happy to take my chance on that, if it doesn’t work out then you can change that after 5 years , as compared to Brexit which once done there’s no way back.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

?????

Contrarian geography?
  • Options

The Conservative and Unionist party are now an English Nationalist party a la UKIP.

You mean a la Ukip of old. Ukip nowadays are a fascist party, and the Conservatives are nowhere near as bad as that.
  • Options

nico67 said:

All the same, he makes a good point. Where is the conservative offer?
  • Options
    nico67 said:

nico67 said:

More Tory scaremongering . The UK needs a radical change and I’m happy to take my chance on that, if it doesn’t work out then you can change that after 5 years , as compared to Brexit which once done there’s no way back.
    We've spent the last decade of austerity fixing the deficit Brown bequeathed the country. Austerity after Corbynism will be a magnitude worse than that.

As for Brexit of course there is a way back. If we decide Brexit is a mistake we can rejoin the EU.
  • Options
    Leeds East looks safe for Labour (Richard Burgon).

Shame.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,827
    edited November 2019
    Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

Bloomberg so confident he will win that he's not going to bother to contest the first 4 Democratic primaries, not filing for New Hampshire.

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/11/14/politics/michael-bloomberg-new-hampshire/index.html

This is some kind of performance art.
    Guiliani redux
  • Options
    nunu2nunu2 Posts: 1,453
    Brom said:

I tell you who won't be voting Labour after today's announcement.

BT shareholders :smiley:

I think Labour just saved a bunch of Tory vs Libdem marginal for the tories.
  • Options
    nico67 said:

nico67 said:

This is so far from the truth on every level its genuinely worrying.

You OK, nico?
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    edited November 2019

I stand corrected. Nw durham has BXP but cheerio pidcock anyway ;)

No BXP candidate in NW Durham.

Though I think that helps Pidcock rather than hurts.
  • Options

nico67 said:

The Venezuelan thing was never much more than a scare story but it isn't even that now because Labour has next to zero chance of winning an outright majority.

Even in the unlikely event Corbyn became next PM it could only be with the support of other Parties, in which case the manacles would be well and truly on.
  • Options
    Floater said:

Libdems are saying different things in different seats
  • Options
    Noo said:

The Conservative and Unionist party are now an English Nationalist party a la UKIP.

You mean a la Ukip of old. Ukip nowadays are a fascist party, and the Conservatives are nowhere near as bad as that.
    UKIP always was the BNP in tweed jackets and blazers. It doesn't mean all of them were bad people, but a lot of them are/were
  • Options
    nunu2 said: "Libdems are saying different things in different seats"

Ha - they always do!
  • Options
    nunu2 said:

Brom said:

But apparently rock solid safe Tory seats where the Tories got nearly 60% of the vote last time and has a 24k majority over the Lib Dems are now 50/50 shots. If safe seats like that are 50/50 then the Lib Dems would be winning every marginal.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

tlg86 said:

?????

Contrarian geography?
    Try working in the Royal Mail sorting warehouse......
  • Options
    Stocky said:

nunu2 said: "Libdems are saying different things in different seats"

Ha - they always do!

It is the stereotype, but tell me a party under our system that does not deploy this? Certainly Labour and the Tories are pretty good at it.
  • Options

nico67 said:

The Venezuelan thing was never much more than a scare story but it isn't even that now because Labour has next to zero chance of winning an outright majority.

Even in the unlikely event Corbyn became next PM it could only be with the support of other Parties, in which case the manacles would be well and truly on.
    The manacles won't be on, instead it will be a case of everyone demanding their pork to take home and with someone like McDonell in 11 Downing Street the chequebook will be out to give all their 'partners' their own spending with no limitation or restriction.

Who in that coalition is going to say "no we are spending too much" until the government is completely broke?
  • Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461
    Stocky said:

Leeds East looks safe for Labour (Richard Burgon).

Shame.

Yes. My patch.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,864
    Floater said:

On the local Lib Dems - it wasn't the candidate but someone was trying on facebook to give impression the Lib Dems were doing better here than they really are.

Turns out local council votes were being used.....

Heard that somewhere before....

Parties talk up their prospects all the time - it's all part of electioneering.
  • Options
    paulyork64 said: "Yes. My patch."

Are you a Richard Burgon fanboy?
  • Options
    FlannerFlanner Posts: 408
    AnneJGP said:

Well, there's only one national party that's not promising to spend money like a drunken sailor, destroy the Union or fuck business.

The Tories have chosen to become the party of commercial irresponsibility - and to expel any MP still in favour of broad-church pragmatism. The LibDem philosophy welcomes sane liberals.
  • Options
    I see Ladbrokes has unnecessarily redesigned its website...

Not sure what the advantage is of making a Grand Prix's markets slightly harder to find is.
  • Options

nico67 said:

nico67 said:

This is so far from the truth on every level its genuinely worrying.

You OK, nico?
    Perfectly fine thanks .
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited November 2019

The manacles won't be on, instead it will be a case of everyone demanding their pork to take home and with someone like McDonell in 11 Downing Street the chequebook will be out to give all their 'partners' their own spending with no limitation or restriction.

Who in that coalition is going to say "no we are spending too much" until the government is completely broke?

Yes, I think there is a lot of truth in that. A rainbow coalition won't be able to agree on much, but the one thing they will be able to agree on is spending money on each other's pet projects, and the one thing they'll be quite unable to do is to make any hard choices.

Still not as bad a majority Corbyn government, of course.
  • Options
    Noo said:

Good afternoon, islamophobes

Good afternoon, comrade!
  • Options

nico67 said:

I imagine that a possible price of coalition support would be a different Labour leader, which would be a relief for all concerned, including Mr Thicky himself.
  • Options
    Opinion polls... must have opinion polls...
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/HighlandCouncil/status/1195315644281081856

Transfers from Labour
    Green 18
    Lib Dem 29
    Conservative 4
    Independent 26
    SNP 18
  • Options
    AnneJGP said:
    "What rather puzzles me about these ex-Conservative MPs who are standing as Lib Dems is, what are they, really? They only crossed the floor because of their beliefs about Brexit, and there's more to a political stance than that. Will the new intake of Lib Dem MPs end up undermining the Lib Dem philosophy?"

Thank you for posting this. I`ve been posting similar comments myself. It genuinely astounds me that politicians can espouse conservativism one day and liberalism the next (Wollaston is a prime example). Or collectivism one day and liberalism the next (Angela Smith).

The LibDems don`t even bother mentioning J S Mill these days. Note that the Liberal Party (where they are standing) is an alternative.
  • Options

nico67 said:

I imagine that a possible price of coalition support would be a different Labour leader, which would be a relief for all concerned, including Mr Thicky himself.

nico67 said:

McDonnell wouldnt be going anywhere, which is far more worrying than uncle thicky.
  • Options

Yes, I think there is a lot of truth in that. A rainbow coalition won't be able to agree on much, but the one thing they will be able to agree on is spending money on each other's pet projects, and the one thing they'll be quite unable to do is to make any hard choices.

Still not as bad a majority Corbyn government, of course.
    How long do people think a rainbow coalition would last? I am thinking less than a year so budgets and finances are not a particularly big deal, especially 10 year type projects.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Where is the conservative offer?
    ¸„.-•~¹°”ˆ˜¨ G€𝓽 𝔹𝓇𝓔𝓧Į𝓉 ∂σᶰᗴ ¨˜ˆ”°¹~•-.„¸
    Own up, Dura. How long did it take you to do that?

Does Matron know what you're up to on the internet?
  • Options

nunu2 said:

Brom said:

But apparently rock solid safe Tory seats where the Tories got nearly 60% of the vote last time and has a 24k majority over the Lib Dems are now 50/50 shots. If safe seats like that are 50/50 then the Lib Dems would be winning every marginal.
    People are ignoring the polls.

They show libdems having 20 seats on Dec 13th not 40
  • Options
    For what it's worth, backed no overall majority (2.5) and Con under 338.5 seats at 1.83.
  • Options
    I am probably biased, but it has always seemed there is something of the night about Redwood. A very weird man. Difficult to imagine he would have much of a personal vote base based on his personal appeal.
  • Options
    Noo said:

https://twitter.com/HighlandCouncil/status/1195315644281081856

Transfers from Labour
    Green 18
    Lib Dem 29
    Conservative 4
    Independent 26
    SNP 18

It's Green transfers next, so that should be just enough to put the SNP over 50%
This discussion has been closed.