Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » It is possible Jeremy Corbyn really hates political bettors

Comments

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,744
    Cookie said:

How many MPs do we have stranding at this election for parties they did not stand for at the last election? Off the top of my head, we have:

Tiggers - Gapes, Wollaston, Soubry - all in same constituency
    Tiggers-turned-LDs - Chukka, Smith (was she a tigger?) - both in different constituencies (any others?)
    Lab-turned-ind: Williamson, Godsdiff - both in same constituency.
    Con-turned-ind: Grieve - same constutuency

Any others? Ordinarily I'd have a fairly good idea on where all the anomalies like these were, but that's because ordinarily you'd only have one or two at most. Politics is currently far too eventful to keep track of!

Sandbach- LD same constituency
  • Options

Bastani is obviously putting a very optimistic spin on this. But I think I can explain explain why, from my perspective at least, many people in Labour are at least cautiously optimistic about polls like this even when they show the Tories widening their lead.

For Labour to do well, probably three different things were always required:

1. The focus isn't entirely on Brexit, allowing some votes to flow back from the LDs.
    2. Their policies and overall electoral sales pitch are better received than the Tories'
    3. (Unless the first two go *extremely well*) They outperform the polls- either by getting a higher percentage than expected or a more efficient vote distribution than expected or both.

We'll only really know about 3. on the day (though the signs are optimistic in terms of fundraising and volunteering for Momentum, who hope to have a really impactful canvassing and GOTV operation). It's also probably somewhat too early for 2.- that's going to be driven by the manifestos, debate performance, etc. So the focus is really on 1, and that's what the polls are, at least tenatively, pointing towards.

That doesn't mean the rest of the dominos will fall- each of those three things is its own separate battle- but to be honest if we had started seeing movement in the direction some people here had predicted where more voters started switching from Lab to LD, then this would pretty much be over before it began. So: relief, cautious optimism.
    Labour start from a position of weakness but you correctly identify the ingredients are there to save them from disaster. A very good point that they have avoided the initial danger of leaching votes to the LDs. Swinson has not had a good start to the campaign, she really needed to be racing out of the blocks but the Brexit policy looks to have been a bit of a misfire as it’s crowding out their ability to talk about other issues.
    Well the Tories have reached their shortest position yet on a majority...
  • Options
    Gabs2Gabs2 Posts: 1,268
    Ishmael_Z said:

Charles said:

Could this gain traction? Raab in trouble?

Foreign Office 'threatened and intimidated' family of Harry Dunn

https://news.sky.com/story/amp/foreign-office-threatened-and-intimidated-family-of-harry-dunn-11859043

No
    The “threat and intimidation” amounts to saying “we will defend ourselves if you take us to court and, if we win, we will seek costs”
    It is so very sad. They are very bitter and seeking people to blame

Unfortunately Trump will not allow her back here but to be honest he did afford them a chance to meet to seek explanations and even a small path to reconcilliation but that door is closed now

I am so sorry for them, but I do not see a way forward unless they themselves can see it, maybe and hopefully in time
    What, they are seeking people to blame when really there aren't any? And an opportunistic offer of a "chance to meet to seek explanations" should have reconciled them to the killing of their son?

Patronising twit.
    I agree. It is outrageous this diplomat's wife has fled justice and there must be redress.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,817
    Have been just been watching this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myntJD4EXaQ

Which one is PBs favourite BONG!!!!! :D
  • Options
    Cookie said:

How many MPs do we have stranding at this election for parties they did not stand for at the last election? Off the top of my head, we have:

Tiggers-turned-LDs - Chukka, Smith (was she a tigger?) - both in different constituencies (any others?)

Any others? Ordinarily I'd have a fairly good idea on where all the anomalies like these were, but that's because ordinarily you'd only have one or two at most. Politics is currently far too eventful to keep track of!

Similarly, which MPs have been pushed out by their own parties, whether by deselection or withdrawal of the whip?
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,983

AndyJS said:
    This week's Sunil on Sunday ELBOW (Electoral LeaderBoard Of the Week) for week ending 10th November: 8 polls including BMG, Deltapoll, Panelbase, ICM, Opinium and 3 YGs (fieldwork end-dates 4th to 10th Nov):

CON 38.75% (+0.87)
    LAB 28.00% (+1.67)
    LD 15.88% (-0.12)
    BXP 8.75% (-1.67)

Changes vs. last Sunday.

Take-home: BXP getting squeezed, LDs flatlining, LAB and CON both up.
    Good to see Elbow back. Very useful. Thanks Sunil.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,294
    edited November 2019
    Twitter

Here's a thought... Could the Brexit Party win Chorley?

No Conservatives or Lib Dems as Hoyle is standing as speaker, so it'll be a Hoyle Vs BXP Vs Green fight - in a 58% leave seat... 🤷‍♂️
  • Options
    Gabs2Gabs2 Posts: 1,268
    alb1on said:

Charles said:

https://news.sky.com/story/amp/foreign-office-threatened-and-intimidated-family-of-harry-dunn-11859043

No
    The “threat and intimidation” amounts to saying “we will defend ourselves if you take us to court and, if we win, we will seek costs”

Unfortunately Trump will not allow her back here but to be honest he did afford them a chance to meet to seek explanations and even a small path to reconcilliation but that door is closed now

I am so sorry for them, but I do not see a way forward unless they themselves can see it, maybe and hopefully in time
    No. Trump ambushed them and they responded with a lot more dignity than would most in that situation. If, as they say, they have legal opinion saying that the private agreements between the US and UK governments (which extend diplomatic immunity to this case) have no status in law, then it would be wholly inappropriate to seek costs as a sly attempt to warn them off. I do not know if this will affect voters, but if it encourages one voter to abandon Raab it should be used.
    Trump is a shit and no friend to the UK. He deserves to die bankrupt and in prison.
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    edited November 2019
    I lost count on who has been readmitted and who is not! I moved her back to Con without delating her from Ind ex Con

viewcode said:

With Vaz confirming he is going, the situation of retirements so far is

(sorted by party and age at the end of 2019)

Conservative

Glyn Davies 75
    Nicholas Soames 71
    Keith Simpson 70
    David Tredinnick 69
    Bill Grant 68
    Michael Fallon 67
    Alistair Burt 64
    Henry Bellingham 64
    David Lidington 63
    Alan Duncan 62
    Margot James 62
    Patrick McLoughlin 62
    Richard Harrington 62
    Caroline Spelman 61
    Hugo Swire 60
    Jeremy Lefroy 60
    Richard Benyon 59
    Sarah Newton 58
    Mark Prisk 57
    Nick Hurd 57
    George Hollingbery 56
    Peter Heaton-Jones 56
    Claire Perry 55
    Mark Field 55
    Ed Vaizey 51
    Mark Lancaster 49
    Jo Johnson 48
    Nicky Morgan 47
    Seema Kennedy 45

Labour

Ann Clwyd 82
    Geoffrey Robinson 81
    Jim Cunningham 78
    Ronnie Campbell 76
    Adrian Bailey 74
    Kate Hoey 73
    Kevin Barron 73
    Stephen Pound 71
    Jim Fitzpatrick 67
    Helen Jones 65
    Teresa Pearce 64
    Keith Vaz 63
    Roberta Blackman-Woods 62
    Albert Owen 60
    Stephen Twigg 60
    Ian Lucas 59
    John Mann 59
    Paul Farrelly 57
    Tom Watson 52
    Owen Smith 49
    Gloria De Piero 47

LD

Vince Cable 76
    Norman Lamb 62
    Heidi Allen 44

Ind and co ex Con

Kenneth Clarke 79
    Philip Hammond 64
    Oliver Letwin 63
    Margot James 62
    Amber Rudd 56
    Nick Boles 54
    Guto Bebb 51
    Justine Greening 50
    Charlie Elphicke 48
    David Gauke 48
    Rory Stewart 46

Suspended Lab

Kelvin Hopkins 78

Ind and co ex Lab

Louise Ellman 74
    Ann Coffey 73
    Joan Ryan 64
    Ian Austin 54
    John Woodcock 41

Northern Ireland

Sylvia Hermon 64
    David Simpson 60

Other

John Bercow 56

@AndreaParma_82 , you are as always a grace to this site. Thank you for the rather sad list. Truly a watershed, and possibly a realigning, election
    There’s only one Margot James.
  • Options
    Anecdote.

I was in the supermarket in Ruthin today, David Jones'seat.

Overhead three separate conversations about Brexit, the betrayal of the 17.4m and how BXP are the only way to stand up for Brexit.

Small numbers but I was surprised by the strength of feeling. This is usually good rural Tory area.

If this happens across the N Wales target seats, the Con could find it harder than the polls suggest.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    nunu2 said:

It'll go higher......does he mean the Tory lead?
    I think he's right about Labour's numbers on this occasion. Unfortunately.
    Cookie said:

I think that Shuker and Leslie may both be standing as independents, and Wollaston is definitely defending Totnes as a Lib Dem. Oh, and Antoinette Sandbach is also defending her seat as a Lib Dem, and Sam Gyimah is contesting a different constituency as a Lib Dem as well.
  • Options

Seems corbyn has lost the grime vote....

Grime4Corbyn artists step back from new campaign for Labour

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2019/nov/10/grime4corbyn-artists-step-back-from-new-campaign-for-labour

In an interview with Q, Skepta – real name Joseph Junior Adenuga – said acts sold “themselves for fucking bullshit” and that four months after the campaign, politicians “don’t give a fuck about us again”

What?! You mean that politicians are politicians no matter what rosette they wear, and that people who have been MPs for over 30 years are, in fact, political animals too?
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,760

Charles said:

No

@Big_G_NorthWales , that reply both patronised and blamed the victims. That is out of character for you. Letting them speak to the person who killed their son without giving them the opportunity to seek redress thru the criminal justice system is not "reconciliation", it was a sop. Think how you would react in the same circumstances.
  • Options
    nunu2nunu2 Posts: 1,453
    GIN1138 said:

• Options
    Twitter

Scrap that, Brexit Party have confirmed they will NOT be standing in Chorley. https://t.co/5MskMzAzTk
  • Options
    nunu2nunu2 Posts: 1,453

Twitter

No Conservatives or Lib Dems as Hoyle is standing as speaker, so it'll be a Hoyle Vs BXP Vs Green fight - in a 58% leave seat... 🤷‍♂️

When people knew UKIP could win they voted tactically against them.

I suspect it is the same for the Brexit party.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

To think a majority of 66 is enormous and barely credible for most of the past 9 years, and it was a huge reduction in 2005.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

Twitter

They could do well but not well enough to win IMO.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    FWIW the tables from the latest YouGov show a small net movement of 2017 LD voters to Con, but I think we'd need to collate similar data from a number of surveys before suggesting that this could be a definite trend.
  • Options

Anecdote.

Overhead three separate conversations about Brexit, the betrayal of the 17.4m and how BXP are the only way to stand up for Brexit.

Small numbers but I was surprised by the strength of feeling. This is usually good rural Tory area.

If this happens across the N Wales target seats, the Con could find it harder than the polls suggest.

Wales seems to be quite strong for BXP particularly rather than just Brexit.
  • Options

viewcode said:

With Vaz confirming he is going, the situation of retirements so far is

(sorted by party and age at the end of 2019)

Conservative

Glyn Davies 75
    Nicholas Soames 71
    Keith Simpson 70
    David Tredinnick 69
    Bill Grant 68
    Michael Fallon 67
    Alistair Burt 64
    Henry Bellingham 64
    David Lidington 63
    Alan Duncan 62
    Margot James 62
    Patrick McLoughlin 62
    Richard Harrington 62
    Caroline Spelman 61
    Hugo Swire 60
    Jeremy Lefroy 60
    Richard Benyon 59
    Sarah Newton 58
    Mark Prisk 57
    Nick Hurd 57
    George Hollingbery 56
    Peter Heaton-Jones 56
    Claire Perry 55
    Mark Field 55
    Ed Vaizey 51
    Mark Lancaster 49
    Jo Johnson 48
    Nicky Morgan 47
    Seema Kennedy 45

Labour

Ann Clwyd 82
    Geoffrey Robinson 81
    Jim Cunningham 78
    Ronnie Campbell 76
    Adrian Bailey 74
    Kate Hoey 73
    Kevin Barron 73
    Stephen Pound 71
    Jim Fitzpatrick 67
    Helen Jones 65
    Teresa Pearce 64
    Keith Vaz 63
    Roberta Blackman-Woods 62
    Albert Owen 60
    Stephen Twigg 60
    Ian Lucas 59
    John Mann 59
    Paul Farrelly 57
    Tom Watson 52
    Owen Smith 49
    Gloria De Piero 47

LD

Vince Cable 76
    Norman Lamb 62
    Heidi Allen 44

Ind and co ex Con

Kenneth Clarke 79
    Philip Hammond 64
    Oliver Letwin 63
    Margot James 62
    Amber Rudd 56
    Nick Boles 54
    Guto Bebb 51
    Justine Greening 50
    Charlie Elphicke 48
    David Gauke 48
    Rory Stewart 46

Suspended Lab

Kelvin Hopkins 78

Ind and co ex Lab

Louise Ellman 74
    Ann Coffey 73
    Joan Ryan 64
    Ian Austin 54
    John Woodcock 41

Northern Ireland

Sylvia Hermon 64
    David Simpson 60

Other

John Bercow 56

@AndreaParma_82 , you are as always a grace to this site. Thank you for the rather sad list. Truly a watershed, and possibly a realigning, election
    There’s only one Margot James.
    Good spot
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    nunu2 said:

GIN1138 said:

The way Dimbelby says "Liberal Democrats... Ten!?" is quite funny.;)
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Charles said:

No

@Big_G_NorthWales , that reply both patronised and blamed the victims. That is out of character for you. Letting them speak to the person who killed their son without giving them the opportunity to seek redress thru the criminal justice system is not "reconciliation", it was a sop. Think how you would react in the same circumstances.
    I had no intention of patronising and certainly not blaming them in any way

It is a dreadful fact that diplomatic immunity was used and Trump will not release her. That is not the FCO fault and it is a terrible impass. My wife and I have discussed this previously and in the circumstances would have met her in the White House to seek explanations and answers. Whether that would have started reconcilliation it is impossible to know but we have great sympathy for the terrible position the family are in

If I have given the wrong impression or expressed my thoughts insensitively I apologise
  • Options
    kle4 said:

GIN1138 said:

To think a majority of 66 is enormous and barely credible for most of the past 9 years, and it was a huge reduction in 2005.
    After Blair it seemed like the public had it large majority government... But after this Parliament I wonder whether the public have it with hung parliaments. ;)
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Anecdote.

Wales seems to be quite strong for BXP particularly rather than just Brexit.
    David will win that seat. He is a known Brexiteer and very popular
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/1193657983219257344

Corbyn rushing to comment on Bolivia once again.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

He must really beleive what he said in his heart, since I cannot think of another reason to leap into a definitive view on the situation rather than some waffle about wanting the best for everyone, need for dialogue and calm etc.
  • Options
    alb1on said:

DougSeal said:

alb1on said:

Charles said:

No

No. Trump ambushed them and they responded with a lot more dignity than would most in that situation. If, as they say, they have legal opinion saying that the private agreements between the US and UK governments (which extend diplomatic immunity to this case) have no status in law, then it would be wholly inappropriate to seek costs as a sly attempt to warn them off. I do not know if this will affect voters, but if it encourages one voter to abandon Raab it should be used.
    In the High Court costs generally follow the event. Not seeking costs would be more unusual
    However there is precedent for High Court costs not to be awarded where the court accepts the case raises issues in the public interest. I can think of few cases more in the public interest than testing the legality of private agreements which enable someone to avoid the consequences of causing a death. In such a case it is wholly inappropriate for a government to seek costs and it should waive its right at outset rather than threaten with the obvious intention of avoiding scrutiny.
    The principle of diplomatic immunity is well established and as sad as this matter is there is not a public interest issue of law here.
  • Options

AndyJS said:
    This week's Sunil on Sunday ELBOW (Electoral LeaderBoard Of the Week) for week ending 10th November: 8 polls including BMG, Deltapoll, Panelbase, ICM, Opinium and 3 YGs (fieldwork end-dates 4th to 10th Nov):

CON 38.75% (+0.87)
    LAB 28.00% (+1.67)
    LD 15.88% (-0.12)
    BXP 8.75% (-1.67)

Changes vs. last Sunday.

Keep that trend up for another 4.5 weeks and you'd get

CON 42.67
    LAB 35.51
    LD 15.34
    BXP 1.24

Seems quite believable.
    I think the absolute minimum for the Brexit Party is about 5%.
  • Options
    camelcamel Posts: 815
    dr_spyn said:

Per capita GDP < $4000, but no billionaires. So for the many, not the few.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

kle4 said:

GIN1138 said:

After Blair it seemed like the public had it large majority government... But after this Parliament I wonder whether the public have it with hung parliaments. ;)
    You'd think the public of spain would be, but no...
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    edited November 2019

viewcode said:

Charles said:

No

It is a dreadful fact that diplomatic immunity was used and Trump will not release her. That is not the FCO fault and it is a terrible impass. My wife and I have discussed this previously and in the circumstances would have met her in the White House to seek explanations and answers. Whether that would have started reconcilliation it is impossible to know but we have great sympathy for the terrible position the family are in

If I have given the wrong impression or expressed my thoughts insensitively I apologise
    The Harry Dunn case is bad, but it is not as bad as the Cavalese cable car disaster, which happened when good ole' Bill Clinton was President.

This is when two US Marine Corps "while flying too low, against regulations, in order for the pilots to have fun and take videos of the scenery, cut a cable supporting a gondola of an aerial tramway" and caused the deaths of 20 civilians in Italy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cavalese_cable_car_disaster_(1998)

The US Marine Corps never faced a proper trial.

The US looks after its own. Trump is bad, but no US President (judging by previous behaviour of either Republican or Democratic Presidents) would have acted any different. They would not have returned Anne Sacoolas.

Not sure Raab (though highly dislikable) could ever have done much to change that.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,446

nunu2 said:

It'll go higher......does he mean the Tory lead?
    I think he's right about Labour's numbers on this occasion. Unfortunately.
    Cookie said:

I think that Shuker and Leslie may both be standing as independents, and Wollaston is definitely defending Totnes as a Lib Dem. Oh, and Antoinette Sandbach is also defending her seat as a Lib Dem, and Sam Gyimah is contesting a different constituency as a Lib Dem as well.
    Thanks Black Rook. I had forgotten about Sandbach and Gymiah already. And I had forgotten almost completely about the existence of Shuker and Leslie. Ordinarily, if we had just one or two of these anomalies their seats would be furiously interesting; but I am failing to keep track in many cases.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Looks as if Farage is not going to agree with Boris so TBP likely to be in play

Not sure how that helps as they seem to be stalling and of course many are refusing yo stand for Farage

Maybe Bastani will see his converts heading back to Farage
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    Farage has gone very quiet .

Are we about to see a complete u turn . Clearly looking at the polls the Tories should avoid any sort of pact with him . It would do more harm than good given they are keeping many of their Remainers on side aswell as most of their Leavers .

• Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502

Looks as if Farage is not going to agree with Boris so TBF likely to be in play

Not sure how that helps as they seem to be stalling and of course many are refusing yo stand for Farage

Lol . Amazing we both mention Farage at the same time . Have you seen any news re Farage .
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    nico67 said:

Looks as if Farage is not going to agree with Boris so TBF likely to be in play

Lol . Amazing we both mention Farage at the same time . Have you seen any news re Farage .
    Tonights Mail plus seems to think he is too proud to compromise

And Boris is correct to keep away from him

Boris has to win this on his Brexit deal and only Boris can stop Corbyn
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

FWIW the tables from the latest YouGov show a small net movement of 2017 LD voters to Con, but I think we'd need to collate similar data from a number of surveys before suggesting that this could be a definite trend.
    My wife will be voting blue to stop Corbyn. Although she voted leave the Lib Dem candidate here is a great public servant.

A labour govenrment as they are now would be a disaster both morally and financially.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

CON 38.75% (+0.87)
    LAB 28.00% (+1.67)
    LD 15.88% (-0.12)
    BXP 8.75% (-1.67)

Changes vs. last Sunday.

CON 42.67
    LAB 35.51
    LD 15.34
    BXP 1.24

Seems quite believable.
    I wouldn't be surprised if Farage himself quit this week to save face. Then 1.9%, as per when Paul Nuttalls was in charge of the UKIPs, would seem about right.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,860
    GIN1138 said:

nunu2 said:

GIN1138 said:

The way Dimbelby says "Liberal Democrats... Ten!?" is quite funny.;)
  • Options
    My wife, daughter and son in law will be voting Corbyn to stop that liar Johnson getting his hands on power permanently.
    I dont need prompting.
  • Options
    nico67 said:

Are we about to see a complete u turn . Clearly looking at the polls the Tories should avoid any sort of pact with him . It would do more harm than good given they are keeping many of their Remainers on side aswell as most of their Leavers .

Farage does seem to be in a bit of a pickle. Heart of stone and all that. I wonder though if the Conservatives would like to keep BXP in the game so it can peel off Labour leavers.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,334

Labour start from a position of weakness but you correctly identify the ingredients are there to save them from disaster. A very good point that they have avoided the initial danger of leaching votes to the LDs. Swinson has not had a good start to the campaign, she really needed to be racing out of the blocks but the Brexit policy looks to have been a bit of a misfire as it’s crowding out their ability to talk about other issues.

Yes, a mass flight from Lab to LD which would have produced a huge loss of seats seems have been averted - partly, I think, because people have a view on Brexit but the majority aren't all that interested in it - that's perhaps why the single-issue LDs and BXP are both struggling.

Labour still needs LibDems to be doing well in their Tory target seats, and for the Con-Lab gap to narrow to no more than 7. I doubt if the manifestos will change much, but the leader debates are more unpredictable.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    edit
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,995

nico67 said:

Farage does seem to be in a bit of a pickle. Heart of stone and all that. I wonder though if the Conservatives would like to keep BXP in the game so it can peel off Labour leavers.
    The Brexit Party are polling no better than UKIP 2015 at best and we know then the Tories gained a few seats from Labour like Gower and Vale of Clwyd mainly because of Labour voters going UKIP which they lost in 2017 when they went back to Labour again
  • Options
    camel said:

AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

CON 38.75% (+0.87)
    LAB 28.00% (+1.67)
    LD 15.88% (-0.12)
    BXP 8.75% (-1.67)

Changes vs. last Sunday.

CON 42.67
    LAB 35.51
    LD 15.34
    BXP 1.24

Seems quite believable.
    I wouldn't be surprised if Farage himself quit this week to save face. Then 1.9%, as per when Paul Nuttalls was in charge of the UKIPs, would seem about right.
    I agree that would make a difference.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,997

The Harry Dunn case is bad, but it is not as bad as the Cavalese cable car disaster, which happened when good ole' Bill Clinton was President.

This is when two US Marine Corps "while flying too low, against regulations, in order for the pilots to have fun and take videos of the scenery, cut a cable supporting a gondola of an aerial tramway" and caused the deaths of 20 civilians in Italy.

The pilot got court martialed getting 6 months in Leavenworth and a DD.
  • Options

viewcode said:

Charles said:

No

The US looks after its own. Trump is bad, but no US President (judging by previous behaviour of either Republican or Democratic Presidents) would have acted any different. They would not have returned Anne Sacoolas.

Not sure Raab (though highly dislikable) could ever have done much to change that.
    But... but the USA are supposed to be our closest ally!
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,860
    Anecdote alert.

Been putting garden stakes up all weekend well at least driving the van.

So far 60 up based on 2017 list.

3 rejections 1 Brexit 2 Corbyn haters

So on my massive sample of 60 LAB 5% down on 2017 even amongst normally committed voters.

250 more to go.
  • Options

viewcode said:

Charles said:

No

Americans do tend to be very arrogant when they make mistakes.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,972

Yes, a mass flight from Lab to LD which would have produced a huge loss of seats seems have been averted - partly, I think, because people have a view on Brexit but the majority aren't all that interested in it - that's perhaps why the single-issue LDs and BXP are both struggling.

Labour still needs LibDems to be doing well in their Tory target seats, and for the Con-Lab gap to narrow to no more than 7. I doubt if the manifestos will change much, but the leader debates are more unpredictable.
    The LDs are not a single issue party. They offer competence and pragmatism as opposed to two parties led by people who are not morally fit to be prime minster.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    "David Mitchell: ‘The internet and the smartphone have been a disaster for civilisation’

Peep Show star is ‘depressed’ by Brexit but tries to focus on the ‘greatest aim’ of being funny"

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/books/david-mitchell-the-internet-and-the-smartphone-have-been-a-disaster-for-civilisation-1.4065803
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,119
    edited November 2019

The LDs are not a single issue party. They offer competence and pragmatism as opposed to two parties led by people who are not morally fit to be prime minster.
    Yawn.

Yes, because the LibDems are so morally superior.

Like your bar charts for starters.

And how about that paragon of virtue Lord Rennard. Is he still involved in the LibDem election campaign?

And if he is, then that makes Jo Swinson a hypocrite of the first order.

https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/political-parties/liberal-democrats/news/90736/lib-dem-deputy-jo-swinson-savages-party-over
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Americans do tend to be very arrogant when they make mistakes.

Cavalese was a straightforward and correct application of the NATO treaty rules.

A far more egregious case of American overreach in Italy was the Egypt Air 2843 intercept which ended with an armed standoff between the Carabinieri and SEAL Team SIX on the tarmac at NAS Sigonella.
  • Options
    valleyboy said:

My wife, daughter and son in law will be voting Corbyn to stop that liar Johnson getting his hands on power permanently.

Well, they TELL you that......
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,972

Yawn.

And how about that paragon of virtue Lord Rennard. Is he still involved in the LibDem election campaign?

https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/political-parties/liberal-democrats/news/90736/lib-dem-deputy-jo-swinson-savages-party-over
    Lord Reynard is not a candidate to be prime minister of this country. Unfortunately, Boris Johnson and Jeremy Corbyn are.
  • Options

viewcode said:

Charles said:

No

It is a dreadful fact that diplomatic immunity was used and Trump will y are in

New Zealand and Australia and Canada are closer allies for the UK than the USA, the US is our most powerful ally but not our closest
  • Options
    XtrainXtrain Posts: 338
    I'm really surprise/worried at how well the Labour poll numbers are holding up....
  • Options

viewcode said:

Charles said:

No

It is a dreadful fact that diplomatic immunity was used and Trump will not release her. That is not the FCO fault and it is a terrible impass. My wife and I are in

They faced a trial in the US but were acquitted of manslaughter though dismissed from the Marine corps
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

New Zealand and Australia and Canada are closer allies for the UK than the USA, the US is our most powerful ally but not our closest

The word "ally" doesn't really the capture the essence of the UK-USA defence relationship. Look at this picture of the CMC, Gen. Berger, inspecting HMS QE. You can tell who the boss really is from the body language...

https://twitter.com/HMSQNLZ/status/1192437880280539136
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Dura_Ace said:

HYUFD said:

The word "ally" doesn't really the capture the essence of the UK-USA defence relationship. Look at this picture of the CMC, Gen. Berger, inspecting HMS QE. You can tell who the boss really is from the body language...

Well of course, the US has a bigger military and economy than we do, we need their support in terms of seeing off Putin and IS sponsored terrorism etc more than they need ours
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Xtrain said:

I'm really surprise/worried at how well the Labour poll numbers are holding up....

Since the start of the campaign the Tory vote has increased by about the same amount as the Labour vote. At the start it was something like 36/25, now it's 39/28. I think when you feed those figures into the various seat calculators the Tory majority has actually increased slightly.
  • Options

Yawn.

Lord Reynard is not a candidate to be prime minister of this country. Unfortunately, Boris Johnson and Jeremy Corbyn are.
    No denial that His Lordship is activelly involved.

And I have a leaflet from Jo Swinson saying she is going to be our next Prime Minister. And if His Lordship is still involved, then that makes her a fucking hypocrite.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 1,614
    edited November 2019
    GIN1138 said:

kle4 said:

GIN1138 said:

I reckon the days of big majorities are gone forever in this country. I don't think the public will ever again put so much faith into one individual like they did with Thatcher and Blair.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Xtrain said:

Labour is now on average polling only worse than Brown 2010 rather than Foot 1983 you mean?
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

HYUFD said:

The American is a 4 star general. The Royal navy guys appear to be a commodore and a captain - that's three and four ranks junior respectively.

Dead right the General is the boss.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

HYUFD said:

Well of course, the US has a bigger military and economy than we do, we need their support in terms of seeing off Putin and IS sponsored terrorism etc more than they need ours
    How about their support in repatriating Mrs Sacoolas?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,987
    Is it my imagination, or is pretty much every pollster giving the LDs 16% right now?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Is it my imagination, or is pretty much every pollster giving the LDs 16% right now?
    This week's ELBOW (Upthread), the 8 polls have the LDs on 15% to 17%.
  • Options
    Jason said:

GIN1138 said:

kle4 said:

GIN1138 said:

I reckon the days of big majorities are gone forever in this country. I don't think the public will ever again put so much faith into one individual like they did with Thatcher and Blair.
    On current polls Boris will likely win a majority around the levels Thatcher got in 1979 or Blair got in 2005
  • Options
    swing_voterswing_voter Posts: 1,435
    HYUFD said:
    Not sure that will save Capt Mercer in his seat if BXP stand against him......
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,987
    HYUFD said:

Jason said:

GIN1138 said:

kle4 said:

GIN1138 said:

On current polls Boris will likely win a majority around the levels Thatcher got in 1979 or Blair got in 2005
    Agree 100%. Indeed, I'm thinking they could end up with an enormous majority - perhaps 150-200.

I see three trends;

Essentially, I could see
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

Yawn.

The Lib Dems are different

I mean they gave that money back from the convicted fraudster right?

Oh
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,006
    HYUFD said:
    Disgraceful. It is retroactively authorising law-breaking by the UK army against what is legally "its own people", even though all sides know the UK considers them a left-over minority.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

camel said:

AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

CON 38.75% (+0.87)
    LAB 28.00% (+1.67)
    LD 15.88% (-0.12)
    BXP 8.75% (-1.67)

Changes vs. last Sunday.

CON 42.67
    LAB 35.51
    LD 15.34
    BXP 1.24

Seems quite believable.
    I agree that would make a difference.
    The trouble is...where does be go after that....one of the reasons he started BXP was that he is addicted to the attention and "power" it gives him,
  • Options
    EPG said:

HYUFD said:
    Disgraceful. It is retroactively authorising law-breaking by the UK army against what is legally "its own people", even though all sides know the UK considers them a left-over minority.
    It is a sound decision given the release of IRA terrorists from prison under the GFA too
  • Options

HYUFD said:
    BXP will likely take Labour votes in Plymouth too
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,006
    HYUFD said:

EPG said:

HYUFD said:
    It is a sound decision given the release of IRA terrorists from prison under the GFA too
    Well, exactly. You are saying the UK army is on the same moral footing as some terrorists. That is like telling the minority, sorry it was a war against you and your army all along.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Jason said:

GIN1138 said:

kle4 said:

GIN1138 said:

Agree 100%. Indeed, I'm thinking they could end up with an enormous majority - perhaps 150-200.

I see three trends;

Essentially, I could see
    I think the Tories could get a lead of 150 over Labour but not an overall majority that high given likely losses to the LDs and SNP
  • Options
    https://www.parliament.uk/about/faqs/house-of-lords-faqs/lords-stateopening/
    says
    The next State Opening [of parliament] is expected to be in 2020.

Is that reliable (not clear when last updated maybe 14th Oct?) ?

Elsewhere we have
    https://www.parliament.uk/about/how/elections-and-voting/general/general-election-2019-timetable/
    Tuesday 17 December - Parliament is expected to return for the election of the Speaker
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Jason said:

GIN1138 said:

kle4 said:

GIN1138 said:

It's more to do with the vagaries of the electoral system and the way in which the opposition is divided.

In 2017 the Tories got almost exactly the same share of the vote as Mrs Thatcher did in 1983 and Blair did in 1997, but the latter two won huge majorities whereas Mrs May was 8 seats short.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:
    Plymouth Sutton and Devonport will be a very interesting seat to watch on election night.
  • Options
    camel said:

Dura_Ace said:

HYUFD said:

The American is a 4 star general. The Royal navy guys appear to be a commodore and a captain - that's three and four ranks junior respectively.

Woah there, it doesn't work like that. The only people that gives orders to the Royal Navy is the Royal Navy (and the Queen and Defence Minister). Not the Army, not the RAF, and not the USMC. That's why there has to be a Minister of Defence and Chief of the Defence Staff, so orders can be passed from service to service. It's also why joint operations are so difficult, and why the Army and Navy have their own little air forces (Army Air Corps and Fleet Air Arm) instead of relying on the RAF. It doesn't matter what his rank is, if he's not in the same service he can't issue orders. Boss my arse.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Jason said:

GIN1138 said:

kle4 said:

GIN1138 said:

...and it's beginning to feel like 2001. A lot of people are still convinced that the Opposition have a chance, despite all the evidence saying "Um, no"
  • Options
    This election started out as a Brexit election. There are early signs that it's starting to move towards a referendum on Corbyn
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Jason said:

GIN1138 said:

kle4 said:

GIN1138 said:

I see three trends;

Essentially, I could see
    This post seems garbled, Robert. I'd be very interested in what the three trends are you see and what essentially you could see ...
  • Options
    GooeyBlob said:

This election started out as a Brexit election. There are early signs that it's starting to move towards a referendum on Corbyn

Oooh, that's a good insight. So much sense in such a short post. Thank you.
  • Options
    camel said:

Dura_Ace said:

HYUFD said:

Two things: (1) junior people trying to impress a way more senior guest is what it looks like; (2) it is possible in joint NATO operations for UK military to be under the command of an officer from another NATO nation. Not sure that that is relevant in this context, but equally it is not true to say that in no circumstance would a US Marine general not be able to give orders to British military personnel.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

GooeyBlob said:

Oooh, that's a good insight. So much sense in such a short post. Thank you.
    But does that change the result?
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    GooeyBlob said:

Sounds like a Tory wet dream to me! :wink:
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    edited November 2019
    Corbyn is at last playing to his strength. 2017 Labour supporters showed that they wanted to end austerity and by a distance Corbyn's mob are seen as the party to do it. They've promised to spend beyond anyone's wildest dreams.

For reasons of wanting to appear prudent the Tories not only advertised this spending but exaggerated it and their friends in the media gave it front page treatment. It might have sounded pie in the sky but the Tories managed to ground it by saying they've costed it and even put a figure on it. No one looks a gift horse in the mouth.

Despite a long running attempt to paint Corbyn as a second Oswald Mosely I don't see many people buying it. He's been around too long. They see him as more likely to be ladling soup at Greenham Common than leading an army of Blackshirts up Cable Street.

His downside is that he looks like Michael Foot and his values are not those of a person who loves Queen and country.This is partially alleviated by facing Johnson who is the ugly side of a person who was born into those values.

My guess is the polls will narrow and the have-nots will see him as being on their side and his traditional support will largely return.
  • Options
    MTimT said:

camel said:

Dura_Ace said:

HYUFD said:

Two things: (1) junior people trying to impress a way more senior guest is what it looks like; (2) it is possible in joint NATO operations for UK military to be under the command of an officer from another NATO nation. Not sure that that is relevant in this context, but equally it is not true to say that in no circumstance would a US Marine general not be able to give orders to British military personnel.
    Possible yes, but he would have to be appointed as some kind of force commander. It's not assumed by virtue of his rank.

Plus I think there would have to be a RN officer on his staff as liaison thru which the order would be passed.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:
    Plymouth Sutton and Devonport will be a very interesting seat to watch on election night.
    Jonny M faces an uphill climb to keep this seat, its only a few months ago he got embroiled in a money scandal, his seat has always been marginal, Plymouth is quite a Brexity place and JM is a reluctant convert to LEAVE, the military vote is somewhat overstated in my opinion. I'd agree its definitely one to watch and a scalp I suspect :Labour would be very happy to take (with a bit of help from BXP).
  • Options
    MTimT said:

camel said:

Dura_Ace said:

HYUFD said:

it was only a few months ago that the previous Commander of Queen Elizaberth had to resign his command over, ahem, misuse of a military vehicie (shopping trips to Waitrose IIRC).
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    GIN1138 said:

This was too much. I can only hit the bong once or twice a day. :p
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967

MTimT said:

camel said:

Dura_Ace said:

HYUFD said:

it was only a few months ago that the previous Commander of Queen Elizaberth had to resign his command over, ahem, misuse of a military vehicie (shopping trips to Waitrose IIRC).
    Those must be bloody big car parks.
This discussion has been closed.