Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Can anyone challenge the green and orange waves?

123457»

Comments

• Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 27,759

Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

Foxy said:

With or without Brexit, Scotland will be independent shortly. The political divergence is now too huge and too sustained. Pro Union Scots should vote SLD on the remote chance that defeating Brexit keeps the Union on life support a bit longer.

Yes, one would have thought INDSCOT is coming quite soon now. Dragged out of the EU on Hard Brexit terms by a right wing Tory government headed by a vacuous Eton poshboy. Surely a slam dunk. If this does NOT lead to independence I would have to begin to suspect that the Scots are all mouth and no whatevers about the matter.
    Now you're trying to actually goad them into it? Utterly deranged remainia.
    There are other contenders, but that’s perhaps the silliest post of the morning.
    Vaguely interesting that someone who afaicr lives in Scotland considers the Scots to be 'them'. We obviously haven't been inclusive enough.
    Not being Scottish, and the original post referring to 'the Scots', what other terminology would I use? Bizarre observation.

The marriage of convenience between the remainiac faction and Scottish nationalism is truly gobsmacking. The Scots (am I allowed to say that?) are expected to march lemming-like toward the UK exit door, either as a last roll of the dice to stay in the EU, or to fulfill remainers' revenge fantasies if we leave. All this after accusing leavers of 'putting the union in danger'.
    I know your particular shade on the political spectrum revels in the delusion that they're being banned from saying stuff, but you are in fact allowed to say 'the Scots' and indeed 'them', just as anyone else is free to comment on that use. I hope this is a weight off your mind.

I've lived in Glasgow for over 25 years and I might occasionally use the term 'Glaswegians' (not wanting to presume my status in this context) but I wouldn't refer to 'them' in a million years.
    You might do so if 'Glaswegians' had already been used in the previous sentence. As in 'I've always been struck by how friendly Glaswegians are. Since I've lived here I've met hundreds of them and never been given the cold shoulder'. But by all means take it as some sort of Britnat slight if you wish - call it an early Christmas gift...
  • NEW THREAD

• nunu2nunu2 Posts: 1,453

Call me mad but I'm going to have a nibble on Bradshaw losing Exeter

That's quite simply the stupidest decision you will ever make.
    I know, right?
    Its student central. Who will he lose it to? Libdems?
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,773
    Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

Foxy said:

With or without Brexit, Scotland will be independent shortly. The political divergence is now too huge and too sustained. Pro Union Scots should vote SLD on the remote chance that defeating Brexit keeps the Union on life support a bit longer.

Yes, one would have thought INDSCOT is coming quite soon now. Dragged out of the EU on Hard Brexit terms by a right wing Tory government headed by a vacuous Eton poshboy. Surely a slam dunk. If this does NOT lead to independence I would have to begin to suspect that the Scots are all mouth and no whatevers about the matter.
    Now you're trying to actually goad them into it? Utterly deranged remainia.
    There are other contenders, but that’s perhaps the silliest post of the morning.
    Vaguely interesting that someone who afaicr lives in Scotland considers the Scots to be 'them'. We obviously haven't been inclusive enough.
    Not being Scottish, and the original post referring to 'the Scots', what other terminology would I use? Bizarre observation.

The marriage of convenience between the remainiac faction and Scottish nationalism is truly gobsmacking. The Scots (am I allowed to say that?) are expected to march lemming-like toward the UK exit door, either as a last roll of the dice to stay in the EU, or to fulfill remainers' revenge fantasies if we leave. All this after accusing leavers of 'putting the union in danger'.
    More utter bollocks.
    Predicting something and wishing for it are not the same thing.
    I want neither Brexit nor Scottish independence, but the former, particularly in the manner likely to be imposed, makes the latter considerably more likely.

And recognising the democratic inevitability of another referendum at some point is not the same as conceding it - though if the campaign against independence is led by PM Johnson, its success is that bit more likely.
    Most diehard Remainers crying about the threat to the Union could not give a toss about the Union in 2014 when the UK was still in the EU and before the EU referendum and the Leave vote. They only care about it now as a way of using Scottish votes to keep England in the EU
    Either you’re a remarkable mass mindreader, or burbling nonsense.

I wonder which ?
    I vote mass mindreader.

But then HYUFD knew that...
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 43,012
    kinabalu said:

Did it? I'm happy my point stands without having access to Lucas' bank balance, her earnings place her in a category well above the average and if she spaffs it all up the wall on pictures of trees that were felled before their time and scented candles it changes nothing of her hypocrisy.
    I'll take the socratic method from ancient Greeks, not net trolls

What is the point though?

That if you are a Green politician you should not fly?

Or if you do fly you should not be a Green politician?
    Hypocrisy
  • alb1onalb1on Posts: 698
    kinabalu said:

alb1on said:

I take it you are a 15 year old since you seem to ignore facts.

Please reflect properly on what not having a smartphone would mean to a 15 year old in Britain in 2019.

Once you've done that, we can pick this up.
    I have, and have concluded that it has no relation whatsoever to poverty. Just because you are wrong is not an excuse to make snide remarks as compensation.

Local intelligence: the Tories will have to have a total meltdown not to take North Norfolk off the Lib Dems. Their vote here is based on the merits of the retiring incumbent, it is (I believe) the oldest constituency in the land, it's strongly Leave and the Tories have picked a local candidate.

Apparently you can get 7/2 on the Conservatives with William Hill. I'm (almost) tempted to sign up for an account just to stick a few hundred quid on at those odds. It looks very much like free money.

I am sure the bookies will be grateful for your money.
    kle4 said:

EPG said:

Dura_Ace said:

Kwasi fulfils a similar role for the tories as The Constant Gardiner does for Labour. Everybody, even those on their own side, think they are a useless twat and are therefore expendable cannon fodder to be sent out to be pegged by Sophy R's strap on.

Doesn't RCS know him and rate him highly ?
    There is kudos in being the thankless soul who goes out and defends the indefensible. .
    Michael Fallon used to be a key pick for that role, as I recall. The thing is, you only get kudos for it if you are good at it. But for some reason parties pick people who can be pretty bad at it and yet keep sending them.
    Fallon was pretty good at it. A man who could say nothing at such interminable length (and without the obnoxious personality of some) that the interview usually had to end long before anything meaningful had been extracted.
  • NooNoo Posts: 2,380
    MattW said:

Noo said:

If there is one question the Leader of the Greens needs to have a good answer for, it is this.

(She should have talked about offsetting).
    Quite. Plus how it is justified that she wants to make it harder and prohibitively expensive for people with much less wealth than her to travel for equally valid reasons. Air travel for the elite only, a staple of green politics
    How wealthy is Caroline Lucas? Genuine question, I have no clue.
    Well 10 years of Westminster Pension Pot plus the post-expenses salary, plus 10 years of Euro Parliament Pension plus the MEP expenses for a decade.

Those 2 together should be around a million, plus the 200k+ pension pot we all have from a fully paid up UK Basic Pension. (Using multiple of 35-40, which is what you currently get for cashing a Final Salary pension in).

Suspect that CL is fairly clean on Parliamentary expenses, probably also compared to the average MEP whilst she was there.

Plus whatever she has accumulated from property and savings over 20 years of politics plus 15 years previsouly.

Plus whatever you make off the back of a PhD in Tudor Chick Lit.

£2-3 million?

Not as loaded as say Diane Abbott, but probably a 1-5 per-center.

Minus donations and other she has spent, which may be zero or may be substantial.
    Sensible-looking answer, thank you.

Noo said:

The Speaker’s role is to speak for the Commons. John Bercow did that. We now have the ridiculous position where Leavers, having supposedly campaigned for parliamentary sovereignty, now angrily support the government’s supposed right to steamroller the Commons because it is inconvenient for them.

And the even more ridiculous lip-quivering denunciations of such parliamentary shenanigans by those who were more than happy for parliament to be subverted permanently by a largely appointed supranational political entity. So forgive everyone for taking it with a small bucket of salt.
    Are we still talking about Scotland? :D
    More of that independence neutrality coming to the fore there I see. [/sarcasm]
    [shrugs] it's true. I've voted for unionist and nationalist parties.
    The humour in my post was the juxtaposition between your bizarre remain-independence rant and then your post above which bore all the hallmarks of the sort of thing that nationalists say. I'll tone it down if you're really that sensitive about it, but it was funny that you were foaming about nationalists and then suddenly sounded exactly like one. I would have thought you'd get the joke since you're so obviously not a Scottish nationalist, but if I touched a fragile spot I apologise.
    Sandpit said:

Noo said:

alb1on said:

Tabman said:

alb1on said:

kinabalu said:

Lots of people dislike Johnson (I'm not his biggest fan) but if he does win, lets give him a chance. The country needs to stop stressing about things that haven't happened yet because that is the main cause of the division we have. Same with Brexit, let's see what actually happens.

If it is as bad as some are saying then it is inevitable that a party that has a policy of renewing closer ties with Europe will be elected.

When I grew up in the 70s, I experienced real poverty. We didn't have food banks - we went hungry. The generation before had it even tougher after the war.

Most people experiencing 'poverty' today have Sky, mobiles, the latest trainers. When I was part of a one parent family in the 70s, I wore shoes with elastic bands and we didn't have a TV. When we did get one, you had to put 50p in it to watch it and when that ran out it switched itself off.

Yes, there are lots things that could be better now. But things are miles better now than they have been in even the fairly recent past, and even then I don't recall the whinging and whining that we have to put up with these days.

Complete nonsense about smartphones. I use a phone for calls and text and a laptop for other things - and that is common practice amongst people I know. I am entirely with you that the poverty threshold evolves, but not such that a smartphone is an essential.
    All that shows is that you are (probably) over 50.

You can get a smartphone for under £100. Makes more economic sense than buying a phone and a laptop.
    Ever tried working a spreadsheet on a smartphone?
    You can get a cheap monitor and keyboard and use a phone as a replacement for a computer. I've seen the CTO of a finance company working in exactly that way in recent years, was fascinating to see it in action. Not what I would choose to do, but it worked for him.
    Samsung Dex it’s called, and it’s quite impressive, I’m working on a rollout at the moment. It needs a top end phone (S9 minimum) but for hot-desking for remote workers, or for an exec who likes to travel light, it’s a good solution.

Microsoft also tried it with Nokia phones a couple of years ago, but their phone o/s ended up dead.
    I think I'd prefer a VM and to use the phone as an access point. Don't see why it should be necessary to have such a high powered phone. But I'll look out for it. I need to go back to Samsung as I think they are generally the best phones and I made a mistake going for a relatively cheap Huawei earlier this year.
  • Good to see a few people on my tip, #gameon
This discussion has been closed.