Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » A future history of Labour’s election in ten seats

Comments

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,374

Hancock is starting to really annoy me.

A stunning demonstration of patience. Most of us were there a couple of years ago.
  • Options
    Dadge said:

The Wokingham poll is possibly the biggest news today. Suddenly it does seem as though there is a path to another hung parliament despite Labour's travails. Con gains from Lab are still more likely than LD gains from Con because of the percentage swings required, but the LDs do now have five weeks to get their teeth stuck in to Tory southern England.

Yes. It shows that Boris is playing a massively risky game. Tory voters tend to be much less sentimental - remember the massive Tory by-election losses in the 1990s? I can imagine Remainer Tories in the SE happily stuffing Boris, whereas northern Leavers get hovering-pencil syndrome in the polling booth and revert back to Labour after all. Boris might be left utterly naked.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,797
    Looks like Patrick Marber playing a twat.
  • Options

Dadge said:

tyson said:

Jonathan said:

So, if Labour lose (as the polls suggest) the left are going to be vicious in defence of Corbyn who may still yet resign. They will blame Starmer/Thornberry for the loss. It is going to be interesting to see an early signs of potential successors positioning themselves by distancing themselves from the Brexit position.

The problem for the lefty, takeover clique...is that after McDonnell they do not possess anyone in their ranks with any kind of anything.....Corbyn is their last hope....and he's a fucking old duffer.....

McDonnell IMO opinion will go on manoeuvres and anoint a Keir or Emily when he continues to hold the purse strings......
    Yes, Long-Bailey's been suggested as his heir, but she's not up to it. I fancy Dawn Butler.
    Butler? Has she ever actually spoken in public?
    PB Tories in I hate you Butler mode in GE2020
    Not me. I genuinely don't have an opinion as I have never seen or heard her other than sitting next to Corbyn.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990
    DavidL said:

Are we expecting any polls tonight?

Y'all got any more of them polls??
  • Options
    And that in the Metro

However, this whole campaign depends on Boris taking the Country by storm and we need to wait sometime to see the outcome

He is Brexit's last and only chance IMHO
  • Options
    eggegg Posts: 1,749
    Careful here, you are being scammed. 😟

Chris didn’t write that letter.

Oswald Moseley did.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,226

A special plea from a header writer. I’ve completed my draft on the Lib Dems and I’ve already had to redraft it once courtesy of Survation. Could none of their candidates do anything rash before it is published? Ta.

I share your pain. And make the same plea - to politicians generally.

• Options
    alb1onalb1on Posts: 698
    Dadge said:

tyson said:

Jonathan said:

So, if Labour lose (as the polls suggest) the left are going to be vicious in defence of Corbyn who may still yet resign. They will blame Starmer/Thornberry for the loss. It is going to be interesting to see an early signs of potential successors positioning themselves by distancing themselves from the Brexit position.

The problem for the lefty, takeover clique...is that after McDonnell they do not possess anyone in their ranks with any kind of anything.....Corbyn is their last hope....and he's a fucking old duffer.....

McDonnell IMO opinion will go on manoeuvres and anoint a Keir or Emily when he continues to hold the purse strings......
    Yes, Long-Bailey's been suggested as his heir, but she's not up to it. I fancy Dawn Butler.
    Long-Bailey? Madame Mao without the sense of humour? The personality and charisma equivalent of a black hole?
  • Options
    These moderate Labour MPs supposedly upset that Watson stopped them all going and has now gone anyway. The ones now supposedly all considering jumping?

Quitting the morning that nominations have to go in would be fun. That way the FUCK OFF YOU TORIES momentum brigade can get their wish and see all the Blairites depart. Yes, would have the effect of vacating those seats and leaving them without a Labour candidate. But as Momentum want to win the war against the Labour Party they'll be able to celebrate victory against Blair.

I note that McDonnell is defending the candidate who said she looked forward to celebrating the deaths of Blair and Netanyahu.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

After tomorrow (I think) we will not see any more Lib Dem constituency polls.

The spending limits kick in and boy does constituency polling cost a lot of wonga, IIRC one poll will breach the limit by some distance.

Though given some of the ... suggestive results we’ve seen today, it’s possible pollsters might have a look at one or two on their own account (or get someone in the media to pay for it) ?

Eminently possible though I know a lot of media organisations are feeling burned by constituency polling in 2015.

These polls cost a lot of money.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,004
    Byronic said:

Byronic said:

Wokingham is exactly the kind of seat where the BXP will come under intense pressure to step aside.

The MP is John Redwood, FFS. The first Brexiteer and a Majorite Bastard. If the BXP stand there then they have zero interest in any real Brexit and are indeed actively conspiring against it.

I predict they won't stand. And Redwood will win.
    If Redwood isn't a strong enough Brexiteer then there is nobody strong enough.

Farage is an ego. That's all he cares about, he doesn't care about the election.
    Farage is a fucking idiot. He is risking everything out of vanity. This will not work out well in the end.
    Nope. Works for me, as a lapsed Brexiter, but there's going to be a lot of anger after the Tories and BXP cock this up.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,897
    edited November 2019
    DavidL said:

We may have MORI In The Morning and then that will probably be our lot until Mega Polling Saturday!

EDIT: Although apparently we're getting a daily YouGov again? :(
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,131
    egg said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

Wokingham is exactly the kind of seat where the BXP will come under intense pressure to step aside.

The MP is John Redwood, FFS. The first Brexiteer and a Majorite Bastard. If the BXP stand there then they have zero interest in any real Brexit and are indeed actively conspiring against it.

Farage is an ego. That's all he cares about, he doesn't care about the election.
    Farage is a fucking idiot. He is risking everything out of vanity. This will not work out well in the end.
    Farage is smart. He sees his future as a Le Pen/Salvini figure who works within the EU rather than from the outside. He also knows that Johnson’s deal won’t bring closure.
    Ha! Today Johnson promised us hundreds of billions brexit dividend once we get brexit done. The central meme of his whole campaign is get brexit done. And you claim Johnson can’t bring closure?
    Because his deal won’t bring closure. Is he really going to accept the economic and political cost of a Canada style FTA?
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Hancock is starting to really annoy me.

Only starting? :neutral:
    You can’t expect everyone to have known already who he is...
  • Options
    Yes, for a few hours Labour were rocking, and he stepped up and said 'We're going nowhere, no matter what Jeremy does', and now the fight is over.
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786

These moderate Labour MPs supposedly upset that Watson stopped them all going and has now gone anyway. The ones now supposedly all considering jumping?

Quitting the morning that nominations have to go in would be fun. That way the FUCK OFF YOU TORIES momentum brigade can get their wish and see all the Blairites depart. Yes, would have the effect of vacating those seats and leaving them without a Labour candidate. But as Momentum want to win the war against the Labour Party they'll be able to celebrate victory against Blair.

I note that McDonnell is defending the candidate who said she looked forward to celebrating the deaths of Blair and Netanyahu.

Yeah, 30 moderates quitting and stuffing labour in those seats would be trays amoozant
  • Options
    Ydoethur would not break that pun out.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990
    GIN1138 said:

DavidL said:

We may have MORI In The Morning and then that will probably be our lot until Mega Polling Saturday!

We have to wait until Saturday?? :o:(
  • Options
    nunu2nunu2 Posts: 1,453
    Right so let's say there is a massive 18% swing from the Tories to liberals dems in REMAIN southern shires, which seats are the Tories gaining in the north/midlands and Wales from Labour to gain a majority.

Presuming the Workington Lab to Con swing in LEAVE seats is correct?
  • Options

And that in the Metro

However, this whole campaign depends on Boris taking the Country by storm and we need to wait sometime to see the outcome

He is Brexit's last and only chance IMHO
    Yep. Brexiteers seem intent on blowing up their own project. Either Boris gets back and passes a deal or it is over.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Chris Williamson leaves Labour to stand in Derby North

https://twitter.com/DerbyChrisW/status/1192192053612077065?s=20

Derby North should be a CON GAIN especially with the Labour vote now splitting. :D

You think he'll get many votes. Whatsisface is Rochdale didn't.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

The spending limits kick in and boy does constituency polling cost a lot of wonga, IIRC one poll will breach the limit by some distance.

Though given some of the ... suggestive results we’ve seen today, it’s possible pollsters might have a look at one or two on their own account (or get someone in the media to pay for it) ?

Eminently possible though I know a lot of media organisations are feeling burned by constituency polling in 2015.

There is that.
    But also the potential of a big story.
  • Options
    alb1on said:

Dadge said:

tyson said:

Jonathan said:

Long-Bailey? Madame Mao without the sense of humour? The personality and charisma equivalent of a black hole?
    Look. This is a betting site. She is the bet before her price narrows.

In your opinion she’s rubbish. But you mistake the fact Corbyns timing is based on LB becoming leader whether You thinks she’s credible or not. It’s not your call. Boris majority corbyn stand down in January, she will be labour leader come April. QED.
    With support of both jez, McD, Unite, Shadow cabinet and momentum it’s the safest political certainty you could ever bet on.

The more interesting bet is whether Boris government and Brexit becomes so hapless and unpopular LB becomes PM in 2024. What’s the odds when The old ‘can’t be PM because they are crap” just doesn’t play anymore, the last few years have proved so.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

DavidL said:

Yougov and Sky have teamed up for a daily poll throughout the campaign

Honest, they have
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,374
    edited November 2019
    GIN1138 said:

DavidL said:

Lordy, I am getting the shakes already. One more poll to last 2 days? Is there the polling equivalent of vaping, I ask myself.

Edit. Oh Yougov, of course.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,783

Nigelb said:

Any idea how much?
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

The difficulty is Len McCluskey. He's in favour of Brexit.
  • Options

36 days to go, rolling average Tory lead = 11% (c.f. 18.5% at the same stage in 2017)
    To be honest Ben I do not see any parallels with 2017

Scotland will see loses for conservatives and labour

Wales will see loses for labour

The midlands and north could be a bloodbath for labour

But so could areas of the south for the conservatives to lib dems

This election is wholly unique and I am not forecasting it other than the conservatives the largest party at the very least
    All that could happen, but there are signs of Labour recovery and LD fallback, so the 2017 comparisons cannot be dismissed outright yet.
  • Options

egg said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

Farage is smart. He sees his future as a Le Pen/Salvini figure who works within the EU rather than from the outside. He also knows that Johnson’s deal won’t bring closure.
    Ha! Today Johnson promised us hundreds of billions brexit dividend once we get brexit done. The central meme of his whole campaign is get brexit done. And you claim Johnson can’t bring closure?
    Because his deal won’t bring closure. Is he really going to accept the economic and political cost of a Canada style FTA?
    If he has a majority he will have five years to ride it out. He knows his deal will cause real economic pain, that's why he needs a majority and a full five year term to try to get to the other side of it. It's very cynical but it might well work out for him.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Any idea how much?
    About 50k to 100k depending on the sample size.
  • Options
    edited November 2019

GIN1138 said:

DavidL said:

Yougov and Sky have teamed up for a daily poll throughout the campaign

Honest, they have
    If Rupert was still owned SKY he wouldn't pay YouGov for a daily tracker poll after the money he wasted with the YouGov/Sun tracker poll in 2015! :D
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    GIN1138 said:

Derby North should be a CON GAIN especially with the Labour vote now splitting. :D

Should be unless the parties are pretty close (3%?)

• Options
    Now up to 70 MPs standing down voluntarily + 3 kicked out by Labour + Bercow and Mann.

Could easily see 150 new MPs in the new parliament (although a few may be retreads)

I see from Guido that Mims Davies having stood down in Eastleigh is now on the Tory shortlist for Mid Sussex. Bit of a strange move as Eastleigh was a lot more leavery than Mid Sussex (although Eastleigh has had more of a threat traditionally from the Lib Dems)
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Chris Williamson leaves Labour to stand in Derby North

https://twitter.com/DerbyChrisW/status/1192192053612077065?s=20

What a fucking dickhead.
    Yes, but,,,,
    I’m liking the “Onwards”.

Might steal that for my emails. :smile:
    Onwards and Upwards, surely

(Which happens to be the name of a local scaffolding company here in N Dorset)
    I prefer the cold peremptory starkness of “Onwards”.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679

Byronic said:

Another standing down by TBP

BREAKING Truro & Falmouth Brexit Party Steps Down to Avoid Splitting Leave Vote https://t.co/WODAST80r4 https://t.co/6Tl486rY2x

If the polls continue to narrow, I predict this will happen across the country. Farage and the BXP will be hard pressed by their own angry voters. They might not be able to hold the line.
    I think Farage is beginning to lose many in his party
    Fishful winking.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    GIN1138 said:

Yougovs are going to swamp the polling narrative, really tedious.

• Options

Nigelb said:

Any idea how much?
    If I was loaded, I would definitely fund a daily poll. And a Scottish Eurovision entry.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    He's been quite odious since returning to parliament, when apparently prior to his 2015 loss he was not, but in one respect it's good he is standing as an indy to test his support (theoretically, maybe it's about the payment), and because it can be downright sad when someone is kicked out of a party and still licks its boots.

Though the only person he cc'd was the great Jezza, whom he declares loyalty to, so it is still a bit sad. Why does he think Corbyn has not saved him somehow?
  • Options
    ByronicByronic Posts: 3,578

Extraordinary. I wonder how my own stomping ground of Windsor will fare. Will we see a situation where the Tories are totally kicked out of Berkshire? Boris needs to double his efforts in those old northern coal-mining villages if so.
    I'm not sure I quite believe that poll. Seems a bit too good to be true for the LDs as Wokingham was estimated at only 58% remain.

The Tories fairly comfortably won a local by-election in Maidenhead the other day and Theresa May will I predict win with a reduced majority of 10-15k.

Berkshire is definitely not as remainy as places like Esher and 3 seats, Slough, Bracknell and Reading West are estimated to have voted leave.
    If you want to depress yourself, do a Google image search for "Bracknell in the past". It was an exquisite old English market town. Then they levelled it to build that 60s shit-hole.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-berkshire-41094380

As a silver lining, it is being rebuilt again, like so many British towns. Let's hope they do better.
  • Options

Now up to 70 MPs standing down voluntarily + 3 kicked out by Labour + Bercow and Mann.

Could easily see 150 new MPs in the new parliament (although a few may be retreads)

I see from Guido that Mims Davies having stood down in Eastleigh is now on the Tory shortlist for Mid Sussex. Bit of a strange move as Eastleigh was a lot more leavery than Mid Sussex (although Eastleigh has had more of a threat traditionally from the Lib Dems)

I think that has been reversed by her
  • Options

It’s amusing that so many were calling for the existing lot to be chucked out wholesale, and now there is psychodrama over a minor surge in retirements.
  • Options
    RobD said:

DavidL said:

Y'all got any more of them polls??
    One of Boris mistress got one in her lounge, we can all spin round that?
  • Options
    edited November 2019

Nigelb said:

Any idea how much?
    So £50 to £100 per respondant for a typical 1000 sample poll? Seriously?
  • Options
    DruttDrutt Posts: 1,093
    egg said:

alb1on said:

Dadge said:

tyson said:

Jonathan said:

In your opinion she’s rubbish. But you mistake the fact Corbyns timing is based on LB becoming leader whether You thinks she’s credible or not. It’s not your call. Boris majority corbyn stand down in January, she will be labour leader come April. QED.
    With support of both jez, McD, Unite, Shadow cabinet and momentum it’s the safest political certainty you could ever bet on.

The more interesting bet is whether Boris government and Brexit becomes so hapless and unpopular LB becomes PM in 2024. What’s the odds when The old ‘can’t be PM because they are crap” just doesn’t play anymore, the last few years have proved so.
    RLB is 5/1, which seems a good shout this evening. Other bets on the tankie wing of the PLP, in decreasing value, include Pidcock at 10/1, McDonnell at 20/1 and Abbott at e^-π/i.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    Only 5 weeks to go . It would be great if it was just a two week campaign !
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,313
    Andrew said:

GIN1138 said:

Should be unless the parties are pretty close (3%?)

Williamson will pick off a few hundred votes from Labour, which may or may not make a difference. He is delusional if he believes he is more popular than your average Monster Raving Loony candidate.
  • Options
    Gabs2Gabs2 Posts: 1,268
    This feels like the end of the mainstream wing of the Labour Party.
  • Options
    Andrew said:

GIN1138 said:

Apparently DeltaPoll are threatening something similar...

https://twitter.com/martinboon/status/1192184633263304709
  • Options
    Re booted, deselected MPs standing as hopeless independents in their own seat

The "Loss of Office Payment" is now given only to defeated MPs who are standing in the constituency they were sitting for at dissolution.

Angela Smith just discovered that she can't lose anywhere but she has to lose in Penistone to get the money.
  • Options
    nico67 said:

Only 5 weeks to go . It would be great* if it was just a two week campaign !

(* for the Tories)
  • Options
    Andrew said:

GIN1138 said:

I simultaneously lament it, but nevertheless buy into it, a destructive cycle.
  • Options
    nico67 said:

Tomorrow would be fine for the vote !!!!!
  • Options
    egg said:

alb1on said:

Dadge said:

tyson said:

Jonathan said:

Actually I do not think she is rubbish. She is reasonably intelligent (a trait which may disqualify her anyway). But I have always thought a leader needs some vestige of personality which the munchkins can recognise and can be projected to voters. The consequences of a 'no personality' leader can be seen in the likes of IDS, although it can be overdone, as seen in Kinnock. Is it really wise to elect a leader who makes IDS look like Silvio Berlusconi in personality terms?
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,359
    edited November 2019
    Double entry deleted
  • Options
    Loveable buffoon is hiw the media portray him. 😂
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Any idea how much?
    So £50 to £100 per respondant for a typical 1000 sample poll? Seriously?
    They don't pay the respondent.

Remember they need to call about 10 times the sample number to get a decent response rate, believe it or not, not everyone is happy to spend 30 mins on a phone call about polling.

Then they have to align it with the demographic data of the constituency.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Right, I have decided Scotland can be modelled with a pure Linear Regression. I am ready to roll out my POSSOM for this election

Possibly
    Over
    Simplistic
    Scotland
    Observational
    Model.

Stay tuned for future POSSOM sightings
  • Options
    nico67 said:

When are the postal votes sent out? Can't be much longer than two weeks away.
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    So at what point does Mayor Pete become value to lay for the nomination? Down to 5/1 on BF at the moment, which given his only real strength is some good numbers in Iowa and still being in it at this stage of winnowing seems a bit short.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,571
    edited November 2019
    Esher and Walton polling.

• Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    egg said:

ydoethur said:

egg said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

Lewis Goodall saying the source that told him about Watson saying that further moderates are due to quit in the coming days.

That's big. If that is true I think the Labour vote might collapse further, and Boris wins. IF IF IF
    ch - which probably explains the timing.

It only takes a week of resignations [...] If this is a coordinated attack on Corbyn, it is brilliantly timed.

I don't think it will register very much with voters but on the other hand it depends if they do take a pop at Corbyn.

I get the impression Watson timed his resignation to disrupt the Johnson launch rather than to cause issues for Corbyn. It has certainly diverted the media narrative.
    I agree. My suspicion it’s been done to hurt Boris coverage. They knew about this all weeks if not longer, and picked the day and moment. They may even have written their exchange of letters weeks ago, unless you think it was written in rush this evening when corbyn caught on the hop.
    Bit unfortunate then that what it really distracts attention from is the shambles over Alun Cairns and Jacob Rees-Mogg.
    Not really, Mogg damage is done, legs has gone on it, cairns has legs till he gives up being a candidate. And the Boris launch drowned out by the timing Watson agreed with them. True, when they decided to hurt Boris launch the Tory difficulties were not anticipated by them. Tom couldnt sit on his announcement for ever looking out for a moment he wouldn’t be drowning out the Tory shambles, they may not give him one!

Edit. I think Mogg might be in trouble in his seat.
    Very unlikely, because Labour are the main challengers in his seat, not the LDs. The LDs haven't been in second place there since 1987. It was a Labour seat from 1997 to 2010 (as Wansdyke).
  • Options
    I see the new added vacuous slogan is unleash Britain’s potential ! Someone pass me the sick bucket .
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144
    Watson departing is the biggest event of this election campaign so far - and by miles.
  • Options

Watson departing is the biggest event of this election campaign so far - and by miles.

Yep.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

He's been quite odious since returning to parliament, when apparently prior to his 2015 loss he was not, but in one respect it's good he is standing as an indy to test his support (theoretically, maybe it's about the payment), and because it can be downright sad when someone is kicked out of a party and still licks its boots.

Though the only person he cc'd was the great Jezza, whom he declares loyalty to, so it is still a bit sad. Why does he think Corbyn has not saved him somehow?
    My God. That letter. He went there.

With every attempt they make to prove they aren't anti-Semitic, Labour under Corbyn just look more creepily anti-Semitic. Like the Tories over Grenfell trying to prove they are not snobs.

What a delightful election.
  • Options

Very odd indeed. I had the Conservatives as very likely to hold Eastleigh if Davies had stayed and assumed she was leaving parliament altogether. Without her the LD chances rose substantially. I am still not sure as local and GE results in Eastleigh have been utterly disconnected, but it must have risen several places up the LD hit list (aided by leaflets about the Davies 'chicken run').
  • Options

Maybe Libdems are piling up a lot of wasted votes in second place, should help them for next time.
  • Options
    Andrew said:

GIN1138 said:

I think the problem with you gov is they get the mid term elections spot on when voters have made up their minds, and have no issue telling you. Lib Dem’s and BP had votes in the can weeks before the Euros for example. But yougov system breaks in GE when voters aren’t so honest with them. I don’t want to come over all Freud, but ITN vox popping in Sunderland today, it was clear what coy voters were going to do, but they won’t admit it till voting day.
  • Options
    nico67 said:

I see the new added vacuous slogan is unleash Britain’s potential ! Someone pass me the sick bucket .
    Too late. I filled it earlier.

Let's grow UK by leaving the world's largest free trade area. Bonkers.
  • Options

Now that would be a Portillo moment to savour!
  • Options

nico67 said:

When are the postal votes sent out? Can't be much longer than two weeks away.
    I believe applications close on the 26th November
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144

Raab's safe.
  • Options
    nico67 said:

There's so few good slogans in fairness. They're often meaningless, vague or just plain nonsense, though can be quite funny if turned around. If the Tories lose apparently Britain wants to contrain its potential, and in 2017 given the Tories received more votes, apparently the many were on the side of the few rather the many, given Labour's slogan came second.
  • Options

Yep.
    Er... Officially the campaign only starts today.
  • Options

Much that watson is a disgrace over his behaviour over the past few years, its more evidence the PLP post GE is going to have bugger all moderates in positions of power.
  • Options
    alb1on said:

Very odd indeed. I had the Conservatives as very likely to hold Eastleigh if Davies had stayed and assumed she was leaving parliament altogether. Without her the LD chances rose substantially. I am still not sure as local and GE results in Eastleigh have been utterly disconnected, but it must have risen several places up the LD hit list (aided by leaflets about the Davies 'chicken run').
    I think you will find she is staying to fight the seat
  • Options

nico67 said:

Yes it’s demented . Let’s also be the first country in history to negotiate less access to its biggest market .
  • Options

Raab's safe.
    Tactical voting might just screw Raab.

We need Andrew Bridgen and JRM to go campaign there and it'll be a Lib Dem landslide.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,313
    nunu2 said:

Loveable buffoon is hiw the media portray him. 😂
    It is a better look than his Fred Scuttle impression.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,061

I got run over by a bus in Walton.

Just saying.
  • Options

nico67 said:

Do you know when the UK last had a trade surplus ?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,131

Raab's safe.
    How can you be sure?
  • Options
    edited November 2019

nico67 said:

Jesus Christ. Do you still not understand? We are not leaving a simple free trade area, we are leaving a free trade area umbilically attached to an overweening, corrupt and statist political bureaucracy which would happily sacrifice democracy and freedom to pursue its malign intent to become a quasi empire.

THAT is the EU. That is what we are leaving. The EU is a piece of shit. It marginally adds to our prosperity, but it is shit, and it is surely doomed in its present guise.
  • Options
    Newsnight showing its uniqueness tonight by rapidly switching to leading on Watson and filling in loads of background.
  • Options
    My second favourite pollster tweets.

https://twitter.com/martinboon/status/1192209428885450752
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

egg said:

ydoethur said:

egg said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

Lewis Goodall saying the source that told him about Watson saying that further moderates are due to quit in the coming days.

That's big. If that is true I think the Labour vote might collapse further, and Boris wins. IF IF IF
    ch - which probably explains the timing.

It only takes a week of resignations [...] If this is a coordinated attack on Corbyn, it is brilliantly timed.

I don't think it will register very much with voters but on the other hand it depends if they do take a pop at Corbyn.

I get the impression Watson timed his resignation to disrupt the Johnson launch rather than to cause issues for Corbyn. It has certainly diverted the media narrative.
    I agree. My suspicion it’s been done to hurt Boris coverage. They knew about this all weeks if not longer, and picked the day and moment. They may even have written their exchange of letters weeks ago, unless you think it was written in rush this evening when corbyn caught on the hop.
    Bit unfortunate then that what it really distracts attention from is the shambles over Alun Cairns and Jacob Rees-Mogg.
    Not really, Mogg damage is done, legs has gone on it, cairns has legs till he gives up being a candidate. And the Boris launch drowned out by the timing Watson agreed with them. True, when they decided to hurt Boris launch the Tory difficulties were not anticipated by them. Tom couldnt sit on his announcement for ever looking out for a moment he wouldn’t be drowning out the Tory shambles, they may not give him one!

Edit. I think Mogg might be in trouble in his seat.
    Very unlikely, because Labour are the main challengers in his seat, not the LDs. The LDs haven't been in second place there since 1987. It was a Labour seat from 1997 to 2010 (as Wansdyke).
    Yes I know. You’ve reassured me Mogg is fighting on quicksand. It needs a poll or two to back up Lib Dem charts showing them closing in, labour to campaign with a light touch, and Mogg gone and dusted.

Meanwhile Lib Dem’s arent taking Cheltenham. This is how elections work.
  • Options
    Watson has left to become a gym instructor.
  • Options
    egg said:

Andrew said:

GIN1138 said:

I think the problem with you gov is they get the mid term elections spot on when voters have made up their minds, and have no issue telling you. Lib Dem’s and BP had votes in the can weeks before the Euros for example. But yougov system breaks in GE when voters aren’t so honest with them. I don’t want to come over all Freud, but ITN vox popping in Sunderland today, it was clear what coy voters were going to do, but they won’t admit it till voting day.
    Vox pops are a waste of time and so are the broadcasters bus tours seeking opinion.

By the nature of the rules they have to find balance and it makes the whole exercise pointless
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Gavin Shuker: the moderates in the Labour Party have lost.
  • Options

alb1on said:

I think you will find she is staying to fight the seat
    And if she does after the fiasco of 'now you see me going, now you don't', she will be more damaged than a new candidate. All the LDs need do is put out material with the headlines from 3 consecutive stories;
    "I am leaving"
    "Mid Sussex short list Mims Davies"
    "I have changed my mind and am staying"
    She looks a complete fool.
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786

Watson has left to become a gym instructor.

No, hes gonna be the Elmer Fudd of Pedo hunters
  • Options

Now that would be a Portillo moment to savour!
    A shame most of the truly desired ones are rock solid safe. I'll take what I can get I suppose.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

nico67 said:

There's so few good slogans in fairness. They're often meaningless, vague or just plain nonsense, though can be quite funny if turned around. If the Tories lose apparently Britain wants to contrain its potential, and in 2017 given the Tories received more votes, apparently the many were on the side of the few rather the many, given Labour's slogan came second.
    How about

GET BORIS DONE

😀
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Gavin Shuker: the moderates in the Labour Party have lost.

And the country as well....
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,088

Raab's safe.
    How can you be sure?
    Their hubris just knows no bounds.
  • Options

Raab's safe.
    How can you be sure?