Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » A future history of Labour’s election in ten seats

Comments

• Options
    eggegg Posts: 1,749

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

Lewis Goodall saying the source that told him about Watson saying that further moderates are due to quit in the coming days.

That's big. If that is true I think the Labour vote might collapse further, and Boris wins. IF IF IF
    Hmm, not sure. How many people beyond the Westminster bubble are thinking 'I might vote Labour but definitely won't if Watson leaves'? Not many. Most won't even know who he is. in acway, if the news goes big on this, it's helpful to Corbyn as it obscures Boris's campaign launch - which probably explains the timing.

It only takes a week of resignations [...] If this is a coordinated attack on Corbyn, it is brilliantly timed.
    It isn't really though. If they were resigning whilst MPs then it's a different story. They're not standing again rather than resignations: as of today they are no longer MPs.

I don't think it will register very much with voters but on the other hand it depends if they do take a pop at Corbyn.

I get the impression Watson timed his resignation to disrupt the Johnson launch rather than to cause issues for Corbyn. It has certainly diverted the media narrative.
    I agree. My suspicion it’s been done to hurt Boris coverage. They knew about this all weeks if not longer, and picked the day and moment. They may even have written their exchange of letters weeks ago, unless you think it was written in rush this evening when corbyn caught on the hop.
  • Options
    egg said:

Have just watched the clips of Cleverly contradict himself over the fake video then get empty chaired on Sky. The resignations of Cairns and Watson. And Zahawi sit there with a straight face on Andrew Neill saying he doesn't know if Corbyn would have rich people shot.

I bloody love politics

The Cleverly thing on Sky was atrocious. He wasn't even booked to appear and Burley should be in deep trouble for her nasty little episode.
    There is talk she has been referred to Ofcom
    I think it’s brilliant if ofcom choose to get to the bottom of it so we get to learn exactly what went on. Like they suggested they might not investigate though. Sky seemed certain he was supposed to sit in the chair, Cleverly claims that’s not true. Let’s hope ofcom investigate so blame can be settled. Without the investigation we will never learn the truth. 😕
    It does need investigation especially as it was in purdah
  • Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688
    Floater said:

The last two days the conservatives have been in the foothills of difficulty but Tom Watson has just taken it up Everest for labour

BiG G - have you not noticed the Labour tribalists on here telling us all this is nothing.
    I've noticed the tory ones desperately desperately seizing on something trivial to try and deflect from their shitshow campaign.

I mean, honestly, it's making Theresa May look Thatcheresque.

• Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Bloody new thread!
    It won't be at this GE but over the next few, I think we will begin to see a rise of far more radical parties. It won't be Left vs Right. The likes of the Tories ,Lib Dems and Labour will be going backwards. I'm going to predict that XR will become a political party, and the Greens will gain more traction. Young people are becoming more politically aware, Greta Thunberg has become a role model for the youn'g 'uns and there will be wave upon wave of them reaching voting age.
    We're dinosaurs on PB, either got our head down eating grass or in petty squabbles with other raptors. That comet is on it's way, we just can't see it in the glare of the sun.

Edit- It looks like a first by a landslide too!

What are your views on Rees Mogg?
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    Drutt said:

Tomorrow's headlines as of an hour ago: JRM and Bridgen are shits, Cleverly and Zaharwi hammered by Kay and Brillo, doctored video, Welsh Sec quits because rapey cover-up, Tories In Meltdown.

Tomorrow's headlines now: Watson quits; here's why.

Recency bias, the "who is this Watson guy anyway?" reaction will set in shortly. Tomorrow's headlines Boris launches campaign.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    Dadge said:

HYUFD said:

https://twitter.com/SebastianEPayne/status/1192160424806027264

Unleash Britain's potential?

You are having laugh Tories. Leave the world's largest free market (which your heroine was instrumental in setting up) and probably wreck the union of Britain in the process.

Leave the EU with a free trade deal and little threat to Union
    Those people holding up the 20,000 New Police Officers placards need a metaphorical clip round the earhole.
    But they are not new they are replacements for the 20,000 plus we lost due to Tory cuts. They will be lucky to have 6000 by the end of next year so when then will they get to current total plus 20,000? Tory lies
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,351
    egg said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

Lewis Goodall saying the source that told him about Watson saying that further moderates are due to quit in the coming days.

That's big. If that is true I think the Labour vote might collapse further, and Boris wins. IF IF IF
    Hmm, not sure. How many people beyond the Westminster bubble are thinking 'I might vote Labour but definitely won't if Watson leaves'? Not many. Most won't even know who he is. in acway, if the news goes big on this, it's helpful to Corbyn as it obscures Boris's campaign launch - which probably explains the timing.

It only takes a week of resignations [...] If this is a coordinated attack on Corbyn, it is brilliantly timed.
    It isn't really though. If they were resigning whilst MPs then it's a different story. They're not standing again rather than resignations: as of today they are no longer MPs.

I don't think it will register very much with voters but on the other hand it depends if they do take a pop at Corbyn.

I get the impression Watson timed his resignation to disrupt the Johnson launch rather than to cause issues for Corbyn. It has certainly diverted the media narrative.
    I agree. My suspicion it’s been done to hurt Boris coverage. They knew about this all weeks if not longer, and picked the day and moment. They may even have written their exchange of letters weeks ago, unless you think it was written in rush this evening when corbyn caught on the hop.
    Bit unfortunate then that what it really distracts attention from is the shambles over Alun Cairns and Jacob Rees-Mogg.
  • Options
    Dadge said:

Floater said:
    Is Farage replacing them all as they drop out?
    If they really wanted to screw Farage, the guaranteed way would be to submit nomination papers and then withdraw them just before the deadline of 4pm on Thursday 14th November.
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050
    dyingswan said:

Tom Watson is now free to tell us the truth about working with Corbyn, Milne and Murphy. There could be some interesting disclosures.

Comrade...he is hardly a fucking suicidal, Jihadi Tory mole you nincompoop.....

Even Blair is still arguing the toss for a Lab Govt.....
  • Options
    Watson should have gone with Chuka and co. If Watson had gone rather than staying behind and encouraging everyone else to stay too there might have been a sensible alternative to Corbyn's Labour.
  • Options
    dyingswan said:

Tom Watson is now free to tell us the truth about working with Corbyn, Milne and Murphy. There could be some interesting disclosures.

Erm not sure the words 'truth' and 'Tom Watson' sit together happily.

He was on the verge of being forced to resign over his disgraceful interference in the Carl Beech case. What with that and the dislike from the left it's only gobsmacking that he has dribbled on this long.

Tom Watson, I'm afraid, burned his bridges left, right and centre.

So there's a lot of hot air on here.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

tyson said:

Noo said:

Byronic said:

Christ. Check the litany of abuse, scorn, contempt and foul-mouthed contumely heaped over the name of Tom Watson on Twitter. And all from fellow members of the Labour Party.

No wonder he's quit.

Twitter's full of a bots purporting to be people they aren't. Don't pay any attention to it.
    Not saying it's necessarily unrepresentative but caveat twittor
    Alistair said:

Does anyone have 2005 per constituency results?

Wikipedia if you're after a few constituencies. If you're after all of them in one swoop, not sure about that.
    Not just Twitter, Noo. Even on PB we have come across the occasional imposter.
    We usually have a better class of imposter.
    I was parodied for a time on Guido's site by some imposter.....

Byronic is doing his level best to parady Sean Thomas...he's gone to such lengths he usually pitches up at the same times, uses the same vernacular, occasionally veers off into leeriness....he's a very fucking good imposter indeed......
    It's a flattering comparison, but I don't think I really match the great man himself, the King of PB, the one, the only, the brilliant, the witty and inimitable SeanT, Peace Be Upon Him.

He was truly a titan. The world seems a pinched and craven place without him. Almost bleached of life.
    Nah he was rubbish. Trust me Byronic. We are much better off with you.

If Ave_it equates to Sean t, you are more like Nick P
  • Options
    Floater said:

The last two days the conservatives have been in the foothills of difficulty but Tom Watson has just taken it up Everest for labour

BiG G - have you not noticed the Labour tribalists on here telling us all this is nothing.
    Yes and they need to see the media going into overdrive. It is a gift

This has opened a can of worms and the big question is how many more
  • Options
    Floater said:

I was once a Labour tribalist. I was pretty instrumental in running the local Labour campaign in this constituency at GE2015 and GE2017. I can tell you that whatever else this is, it is not nothing.
  • Options

Floater said:

I've noticed the tory ones desperately desperately seizing on something trivial to try and deflect from their shitshow campaign.

The deputy leader of Labour resigning and leaving Parliament is trivial?

I hope we don’t see what you regard as a major crisis...
  • Options

Floater said:

Lol :smiley:
  • Options

Floater said:

You'll have more fucking luck with Man U winning the league....on a scale of ain't going to happen, Labour moderates are not going to put the boot in now...
  • Options

Floater said:

Be careful - this is going to run for days
  • Options
    Artist said:

Looking forward to the Long-Bailey and Pidcock dream team in the next parliament.

If there's any kind of exodus, this horror show may well pan out.

Who might be willing to walk? Cooper, Harman, Dromey?
  • Options
    camelcamel Posts: 815

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

Yep. Labour have turned a PR disaster into a dead cat distraction from Boris's launch. Masterful.
    I'm sorry guys I don't buy it.

If he genuinely had wanted not to cause issues for Corbyn he would have waited till December 13.

The tories have been on the ropes for 36 hours and Tom Watson has set off the arena fire alarm.
  • Options

Watson should have gone with Chuka and co. If Watson had gone rather than staying behind and encouraging everyone else to stay too there might have been a sensible alternative to Corbyn's Labour.

What makes you think they wanted him?
  • Options

Floater said:

Haha. I mean, in what kind of parallel world do you dwell?

This isn't even 1/100th of the story your lot have been generating. Tom Watson finally decides not to stand again.

Meh.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,002
    edited November 2019
    ydoethur said:

Floater said:

It depends how it is framed. He's been an MP for quite some time and, like many others, is simply not standing again.

Now, the reasons for that decision are interesting, and the warfare in Labour that likely led to it, but it's also not hard to play it down, particularly if like many who are not standing in this election they do so in a milquetoast fashion.
  • Options
    egg said:

Have just watched the clips of Cleverly contradict himself over the fake video then get empty chaired on Sky. The resignations of Cairns and Watson. And Zahawi sit there with a straight face on Andrew Neill saying he doesn't know if Corbyn would have rich people shot.

I bloody love politics

The Cleverly thing on Sky was atrocious. He wasn't even booked to appear and Burley should be in deep trouble for her nasty little episode.
    There is talk she has been referred to Ofcom
    I think it’s brilliant if ofcom choose to get to the bottom of it so we get to learn exactly what went on. Like they suggested they might not investigate though. Sky seemed certain he was supposed to sit in the chair, Cleverly claims that’s not true. Let’s hope ofcom investigate so blame can be settled. Without the investigation we will never learn the truth. 😕
    Cleverly was able to point to the Politico's media round up which listed all the planned media appearances for the morning. Neither the Cleverly timeline nor, crucially, the Sky timeline, listed him as appearing on the Kay Burley show this morning.
  • Options

Indeed.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172

Floater said:

I was once a Labour tribalist. I was pretty instrumental in running the local Labour campaign in this constituency at GE2015 and GE2017. I can tell you that whatever else this is, it is not nothing.
    Why do you think Tom Watson went?

He always seems a bruiser, so I am astonished.

I could believe health reasons may have played a role, albeit he has lost weight.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

Floater said:

It depends how it is framed. He's been an MP for quite some time and, like many others, is simply not standing again.

Now, the reasons for that decision are interesting, and the warfare in Labour that likely led to it, but it's also not hard to play it down.
    If he’d said this a month ago, i’d be inclined to agree.

It’s the suddenness of what’s happened that will get tongues wagging.
  • Options
    ByronicByronic Posts: 3,578
    egg said:

Byronic said:

tyson said:

Noo said:

Byronic said:

Christ. Check the litany of abuse, scorn, contempt and foul-mouthed contumely heaped over the name of Tom Watson on Twitter. And all from fellow members of the Labour Party.

No wonder he's quit.

Twitter's full of a bots purporting to be people they aren't. Don't pay any attention to it.
    Alistair said:

Wikipedia if you're after a few constituencies. If you're after all of them in one swoop, not sure about that.

Byronic is doing his level best to parady Sean Thomas...he's gone to such lengths he usually pitches up at the same times, uses the same vernacular, occasionally veers off into leeriness....he's a very fucking good imposter indeed......
    It's a flattering comparison, but I don't think I really match the great man himself, the King of PB, the one, the only, the brilliant, the witty and inimitable SeanT, Peace Be Upon Him.

He was truly a titan. The world seems a pinched and craven place without him. Almost bleached of life.

Very kind of you. Though you may have to do without me for the next 2-3 weeks, I'm off to the South Pole to do a male modelling assignment. Zero signal. Zip. Nada. Nothing.

I'm going to be away from any news of British politics for possibly the most interesting period in British politics since the autumn of 1066.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Bloody new thread!
    It won't be at this GE but over the next few, I think we will begin to see a rise of far more radical parties. It won't be Left vs Right. The likes of the Tories ,Lib Dems and Labour will be going backwards. I'm going to predict that XR will become a political party, and the Greens will gain more traction. Young people are becoming more politically aware, Greta Thunberg has become a role model for the youn'g 'uns and there will be wave upon wave of them reaching voting age.
    We're dinosaurs on PB, either got our head down eating grass or in petty squabbles with other raptors. That comet is on it's way, we just can't see it in the glare of the sun.

Edit- It looks like a first by a landslide too!

What are your views on Rees Mogg?
    Can anybody defend him? Surely better to move on, he is apparently regarded as a good constituency MP despite being a privileged twat but that’s up to the people of NES.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    ydoethur said:

Floater said:

The deputy leader of Labour resigning a.
    He hasn't.

He is standing down, along with loads of others across all parties.

Meh. Totally meh.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Two ideas of why they should have: Enemy of my enemy is my friend, plus FPTP. They were OK in the same party previously, it was Corbyn and Corbynism that was the problem.

If they didn't because of some odd idea of purity then they were no better than the Corbynites.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    ydoethur said:

egg said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

Bit unfortunate then that what it really distracts attention from is the shambles over Alun Cairns and Jacob Rees-Mogg.
    Not really, Mogg damage is done, legs has gone on it, cairns has legs till he gives up being a candidate. And the Boris launch drowned out by the timing Watson agreed with them. True, when they decided to hurt Boris launch the Tory difficulties were not anticipated by them. Tom couldnt sit on his announcement for ever looking out for a moment he wouldn’t be drowning out the Tory shambles, they may not give him one!

Edit. I think Mogg might be in trouble in his seat.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Floater said:

The deputy leader of Labour resigning a.
    He hasn't.

He is standing down, along with loads of others across all parties.

Meh. Totally meh.
    I think you’ll find he’s also resigning.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,358
    edited November 2019

Floater said:

Trivial !!!!!!

It is not the conservatives seizing on it, it is the press pack going on the biggest story of the campaign so far. I would suggest you watch the media over the next 24 days with your eyes and ears covered
  • Options
    F*cking hell. Just seen the Watson news.

Labour Party RIP.
  • Options
    camelcamel Posts: 815

Floater said:

I could believe health reasons may have played a role, albeit he has lost weight.
    Harvey Proctor? I mean, awkward! And George Galloway. He must have asked himself the question "do i really need this?"
  • Options
    camel said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

Yep. Labour have turned a PR disaster into a dead cat distraction from Boris's launch. Masterful.
    I'm sorry guys I don't buy it.

If he genuinely had wanted not to cause issues for Corbyn he would have waited till December 13.

The tories have been on the ropes for 36 hours and Tom Watson has set off the arena fire alarm.
    Yes I agree. There were multiple ways and times to do this, that didn't damage Labour as much as it does now.

And if this had been "planned" I am pretty sure they would have cued it up, made noises about "Tom maybe leaving" for weeks beforehand, so it didn't seem a shock.

My guess is he decided in the last 48 hours.
  • Options

Floater said:

Trivial !!!!!!

It is not the conservatives seizing on it, it is the press pack going on the biggest story of the campaign so far. I would suggest you watch the media over the next 24 days with your eyes and ears covered
    Haha so funny. No one is interested in Tom Watson.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Exactly. Chukka & co. are Blairites, Watson's a Brownite, and he'll be replaced by a Corbynite. One big happy family.
  • Options

Definitely looking forward to Casino Royale "holding me responsible" after the GE

Another woodlouse crawls out from under his rock, fawned over by his three sad sack likers.
  • Options
    egg said:

ydoethur said:

egg said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

Not really, Mogg damage is done, legs has gone on it, cairns has legs till he gives up being a candidate. And the Boris launch drowned out by the timing Watson agreed with them. True, when they decided to hurt Boris launch the Tory difficulties were not anticipated by them. Tom couldnt sit on his announcement for ever looking out for a moment he wouldn’t be drowning out the Tory shambles, they may not give him one!

Edit. I think Mogg might be in trouble in his seat.
    I do hope so.

But really, this is going to put multiple cats among pigeons.

The irony is, in many ways he’s not much of a loss to Labour. But what’s happening is certainly going to be highly damaging.
  • Options

A special plea from a header writer. I’ve completed my draft on the Lib Dems and I’ve already had to redraft it once courtesy of Survation. Could none of their candidates do anything rash before it is published? Ta.

Twice - also an 18% Con > LD swing in Wokingham released today
    I missed the Wokingham poll. It would be lovely to see John Redwood turfed out.
  • Options

Floater said:

Haha. I mean, in what kind of parallel world do you dwell?

This isn't even 1/100th of the story your lot have been generating. Tom Watson finally decides not to stand again.

Meh.
    A brain dead member of Corbyn's imperial guard opines.
  • Options
    edited November 2019

Floater said:

Trivial !!!!!!

Then it’s surprising that everyone including you and me is posting so much about him...
  • Options
    Time_to_LeaveTime_to_Leave Posts: 2,547
    edited November 2019
    Has it occurred to any of you that normal people (unlike us) don’t experience the narrative of a campaign as it happens? They saw the 6pm news, they are now watching the Football or shortly the Apprentice, they might then see the 10pm and pick up a paper tomorrow.

Basically, the 6pm was poor for the Tories, but the new lead will be the Boris launch by 10pm; with the beginning of a “is Labour losing its moderates” narrative. None of which will change the price of fish anyway.
  • Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038
    I'M TRAINING TO BE A LEVEL-TWO GYM INSTRUCTOR.
  • Options
    Dadge said:

Great line. He looked happy, good luck to him.
  • Options
    Dadge said:

Really? Is this a convoluted way of saying you’re Tom Watson and he real reason you resigned is a straightforward mid-life crisis?
  • Options
    ozymandiasozymandias Posts: 1,503

Floater said:

Trivial !!!!!!

You really are quite an amusing poster here. Please don't stop as the parody you quite brilliantly portray lightens the mood somewhat,
  • Options
    Byronic said:

egg said:

Byronic said:

tyson said:

Noo said:

Byronic said:

No wonder he's quit.

Alistair said:

Very kind of you. Though you may have to do without me for the next 2-3 weeks, I'm off to the South Pole to do a male modelling assignment. Zero signal. Zip. Nada. Nothing.

I'm going to be away from any news of British politics for possibly the most interesting period in British politics since the autumn of 1066.
    We’ll put weekly bullet points in a plastic bottle. 🙂.

PS pack a willy warmer
  • Options
    Byronic said:
    Yup. And if Goodall has it right and others are to follow you can image the rage that will come out. WE TOLD YOU TORIES TO FUCK OFF. HOW DARE YOU FUCK OFF AND IMPERIL THE CORONATION OF THE JEREMY? YOU DISLOYAL SHITS SHOULD FUCK OFF
  • Options

Artist said:

Looking forward to the Long-Bailey and Pidcock dream team in the next parliament.

If there's any kind of exodus, this horror show may well pan out.

Who might be willing to walk? Cooper, Harman, Dromey?
    If the purpose is to destroy Corbyn, rather than the Labour Party, then they need to leave some moderates behind to pick up the pieces.

If their objective had been to destroy the Labour Party then they would have been better walking out in the spring.
  • Options
  • Options
    egg said:

Byronic said:

egg said:

Byronic said:

tyson said:

Noo said:

Byronic said:

No wonder he's quit.

Alistair said:

We’ll put weekly bullet points in a plastic bottle. 🙂.

PS pack a willy warmer
    A failure to do so would give a whole new meaning to the expression ‘freezing point.’
  • Options

Has it occurred to any of you that normal people (unlike us) don’t experience the narrative of a campaign as it happens? They saw the 6pm news, they are now watching the Football or shortly the Apprentice, they might then see the 10pm and pick up a paper tomorrow.

Basically, the 6pm was poor for the Tories, but the new lead will be the Boris launch by 10pm; with the beginning of a “is Labour losing its moderates” narrative. None of which will change the price of fish anyway.

You are almost certainly correct, but as this is a betting site we are obliged to guess how uninformed voters might behave with the paucity of information they actually manage to absorb. Talking of fleeting impressions, has this been mentioned here:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-coventry-warwickshire-50292235
  • Options
    DruttDrutt Posts: 1,093
    Sky leading with Watson
    BBC outside source leading with Watson
    LBC top story too.
    Missed BBC world service.

If it's not a big story, it'll do till the big story gets here.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Ishmael_Z said:

Rees mogg, bridgen and cairns send their thanks Tom

Dead cats being dead catted. The theme of the next few weeks.
    I think you mean “cliche” not “theme”
  • Options
    edited November 2019

I bloody love politics

Isn’t shooting rich people going into the manifesto? Don’t tell me they are going to bottle it and sanitise it and play it safe now the polls are shifting their way 😡
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,374
    When are Labour doing their launch? Is it tomorrow? Corbyn won't really be appreciate being on the defensive about losing his deputy, even if they were not a team in any conventional sense.

Watson is not much of a loss. He is in many ways a repulsive individual. But it suggests we will have another launch overshadowed to some degree by a resignation.
  • Options

You are almost certainly correct, but as this is a betting site we are obliged to guess how uninformed voters might behave with the paucity of information they actually manage to absorb. Talking of fleeting impressions, has this been mentioned here:

I get that, but I get frustrated at election times that only 20% of this site remains useful for betting; while 80% is full of party members pointlessly spinning. You can see it in some of the Watson nonsense above. The betting implications are for his seat, and if a narrative about Labour “extremism” (for want of a better word) develops.
  • Options
    egg said:

Edit. I think Mogg might be in trouble in his seat

LibDems would need a 26% swing and it's *only* 18% on the two Survation seats released today

• Options
    timpletimple Posts: 118

Or parties will adopt new policies,

Don’t forget the dinosaurs outlasted us by several hundred million years - and are still with us.

No they morphed into gammons

Be honest, don't you feel that all 3 main political parties are full of "gammons" (that's a really wanky turn of phrase, by the way)?
    What feels good about any of them? Nothing, that's what. Old and stale. People only vote for them because they are pretty much all we have. One good thing about Brexit is the complete shitshow that it has turned into has shown up the political parties for what they are-crap, out of touch and facing crises of their own making.
    Maybe we need a few more years of political chaos to finish them off. It'll probably be better for the country in the long run.

It may be but what will emerge from the chaos? I see my generation, the 60+ people who have, in many ways for the fortunate have had it on a plate having no regard for who comes after them, even if it’s their own family. They are the entitled ‘I know best’ generation unable to appreciate that that they grew up in the ‘middle class elite’ with jobs for life, company pensions and the ability to own property. They are destroying the future by their selfishness and small mindedness but will never have to pay the price or even see the results of their views.

Who knows what will rise from the chaos? Brexit is a sideshow in the grand scheme of things. The planet faces huge challenges over the next decades. It ain't gonna be saved by the likes of Johnson, Corbyn or Swinson, let alone by the likes of Trump, Macron and Xi Jinping. XR and other radical movements like it will gain traction as us oldies die off. The future belongs to my lads, let them shape it.
    Actually, my lads will mostly be drinking beer, advocating a 3 day week so they can play more Modern Warfare and advocating the use of skateboards as public transport, so perhaps some other kids can step up.

Just watch BBC "Years and Years" if you want a taste of what is likely to come.....
  • Options

I get that, but I get frustrated at election times that only 20% of this site remains useful for betting; while 80% is full of party members pointlessly spinning. You can see it in some of the Watson nonsense above. The betting implications are for his seat, and if a narrative about Labour “extremism” (for want of a better word) develops.
    There are no betting implications for his seat as it will make no difference to the result. Labour will still win it.
  • Options
    Now Tom Watson has gone...I wonder if Caroline Flint will set her eyes on the deputy post??
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    timple said:

Or parties will adopt new policies,

Don’t forget the dinosaurs outlasted us by several hundred million years - and are still with us.

No they morphed into gammons

Be honest, don't you feel that all 3 main political parties are full of "gammons" (that's a really wanky turn of phrase, by the way)?
    What feels good about any of them? Nothing, that's what. Old and stale. People only vote for them because they are pretty much all we have. One good thing about Brexit is the complete shitshow that it has turned into has shown up the political parties for what they are-crap, out of touch and facing crises of their own making.
    Maybe we need a few more years of political chaos to finish them off. It'll probably be better for the country in the long run.

It may be but what will emerge from the chaos? I see my generation, the 60+ people who have, in many ways for the fortunate have had it on a plate having no regard for who comes after them, even if it’s their own family. They are the entitled ‘I know best’ generation unable to appreciate that that they grew up in the ‘middle class elite’ with jobs for life, company pensions and the ability to own property. They are destroying the future by their selfishness and small mindedness but will never have to pay the price or even see the results of their views.

Who knows what will rise from the chaos? Brexit is a sideshow in the grand scheme of things. The planet faces huge challenges over the next decades. It ain't gonna be saved by the likes of Johnson, Corbyn or Swinson, let alone by the likes of Trump, Macron and Xi Jinping. XR and other radical movements like it will gain traction as us oldies die off. The future belongs to my lads, let them shape it.
    Actually, my lads will mostly be drinking beer, advocating a 3 day week so they can play more Modern Warfare and advocating the use of skateboards as public transport, so perhaps some other kids can step up.

Just watch BBC "Years and Years" if you want a taste of what is likely to come.....

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The future belongs to PB commenters who can format their replies
  • Options
    edited November 2019

Has it occurred to you that access to the internet is not confined to the users of PB? Watch the 10pm news and pick up a "paper" whatever the fuck that is tomorrow? Do you live in the 1970s?
  • Options
    Byronic said:
    Corbyns letter clearly pre written. And it does time beautifully with Boris launch.

But this being election fever everyone entitled to believe inside their bubble, not accept truth. 😀

Quite good way to pass the dark nights, December elections, eh?
  • Options

A special plea from a header writer. I’ve completed my draft on the Lib Dems and I’ve already had to redraft it once courtesy of Survation. Could none of their candidates do anything rash before it is published? Ta.

Twice - also an 18% Con > LD swing in Wokingham released today
    I missed the Wokingham poll. It would be lovely to see John Redwood turfed out.
    There is no need to get excited about these polls, they are just another data point. We’re not going to take Manhattan or Berlin the longer it’s not the media narrative the better until we are two weeks out. There is lots of other things happening there n the real world and unless you are seriously on the ground, and not even then, I’d keep my money in my pocket. If you want to risk your money prematurely look at the May local election results in former lib dem prospects but even then the only money I have risked was to the lib dem campaign.
  • Options
    timpletimple Posts: 118

Byronic said:

Another standing down by TBP

BREAKING Truro & Falmouth Brexit Party Steps Down to Avoid Splitting Leave Vote https://t.co/WODAST80r4 https://t.co/6Tl486rY2x

If the polls continue to narrow, I predict this will happen across the country. Farage and the BXP will be hard pressed by their own angry voters. They might not be able to hold the line.
    I think Farage is beginning to lose many in his party
    You mean his company.
  • Options
  • Options
    Lab remain voters know what to do now. Game on.
  • Options
    nunu2nunu2 Posts: 1,453
    edited November 2019
    Hmm, very similar swings for the Libdems.

You would expect a little variation, wouldn't you?
  • Options
    Brexiteers sink Brexit.

• Options
    Wokingham is exactly the kind of seat where the BXP will come under intense pressure to step aside.

The MP is John Redwood, FFS. The first Brexiteer and a Majorite Bastard. If the BXP stand there then they have zero interest in any real Brexit and are indeed actively conspiring against it.

I predict they won't stand. And Redwood will win.
  • Options
    egg said:

Byronic said:
    Corbyns letter clearly pre written. And it does time beautifully with Boris launch.

But this being election fever everyone entitled to believe inside their bubble, not accept truth. 😀

Quite good way to pass the dark nights, December elections, eh?
    But Watson cuts both ways - dead cats both the Boris launch, and the Rees Mogg Cairns Bridgen stuff. Who is to say whether this net damages or helps the Tories?
  • Options
    Time_to_LeaveTime_to_Leave Posts: 2,547
    edited November 2019
    Ishmael_Z said:

Has it occurred to you that access to the internet is not confined to the users of PB? Watch the 10pm news and pick up a "paper" whatever the fuck that is tomorrow? Do you live in the 1970s?
    Erm... I’m politically engaged (after all I post here) and I usually go out of my way to avoid political news before bedtime outside of an election where I tune in a bit more. Most people do.

Edit - I don’t think my wife follows a single politician on twitter. And I think that’s normal.
  • Options
    tyson said:

Now Tom Watson has gone...I wonder if Caroline Flint will set her eyes on the deputy post??

I think the Cult will ensure it is Pidcock or similar.
  • Options

egg said:

Edit. I think Mogg might be in trouble in his seat

LibDems would need a 26% swing and it's *only* 18% on the two Survation seats released today

Well, the Moggster is doing everything he can. The Tories would be wise to lock him in the crypt until Dec 13th.
  • Options
    Enough of these unlikely seats are close enough that one has to come in you’d think?
  • Options
    nunu2nunu2 Posts: 1,453

F*cking hell. Just seen the Watson news.

Labour Party RIP.

That's been proclaimed a lot over the last few years.
  • Options
    It’s out of kilter with other poll less than week ago? It’s also supposed to change hands because of leave, not remain?

Tory’s certainly done well in the seat in 2017, did they put up a good show in previous elections too? Maybe the whole seat is not a good example of typical labour territory?

Every half hour something crazy happens in this election. 🤯
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,701
    tyson said:

I voted for her last time.
  • Options

tyson said:

I think the Cult will ensure it is Pidcock or similar.
    Already seeing tweets from Corbynites ramping Pidcock. Too much to hope that she loses in that part of Durham.
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    No disrespect to Survation but individual constituency polling is fraught with difficulties and is often woefully wide of the mark. Who can forget the Great Ashcroft Debacle in 2015?
  • Options
    Byronic said:

Wokingham is exactly the kind of seat where the BXP will come under intense pressure to step aside.

The MP is John Redwood, FFS. The first Brexiteer and a Majorite Bastard. If the BXP stand there then they have zero interest in any real Brexit and are indeed actively conspiring against it.

If Redwood isn't a strong enough Brexiteer then there is nobody strong enough.

Farage is an ego. That's all he cares about, he doesn't care about the election.
  • Options
    Labour down double figures seems to be becoming a pattern. They could be in for an absolute pasting.
  • Options
    ozymandiasozymandias Posts: 1,503
    Byronic said:

Byronic said:

Exactly. These Lib Dem polls are very useful in identifying where BXP should step down and where pressure can be applied. They're actually quite helpful - and the Lib Dems pay for them so all the better!

Long may they continue.

• Options

Floater said:

Couldn't be the Carl Beech thing?
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    I doubt Boris will be forlorn by being eclipsed by Watson’s departure.
  • Options

Byronic said:

If Redwood isn't a strong enough Brexiteer then there is nobody strong enough.

Farage is an ego. That's all he cares about, he doesn't care about the election.
    Farage is a fucking idiot. He is risking everything out of vanity. This will not work out well in the end.
This discussion has been closed.