Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Corbyn goes into the campaign with the worst Ipsos MORI opposi

SystemSystem Posts: 11,723
edited October 2019 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Corbyn goes into the campaign with the worst Ipsos MORI opposition leader ratings it has ever recorded

Above are the latest satisfaction ratings from Ipsos-MORI which started polling in the late 1970s. As can be seen from the chart Johnson is now in positive territory, Swinson is a net minus 12, Farage a net minus 22 with the LAB leader on minus 60. There are equal the worst numbers for an opposition leader ever.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    1st
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,282
    There's a rumour that Johnson will chicken run to Alan Duncan's seat.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    edited October 2019
    4th, like my hopes for a good outcome to this election.

Edit: Clearly I'm a pessimist, but still.
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    BJ is chicken! :wink:
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    Net diff of 62 is off the scale. Regression from1979 onwards results suggests an election result of 20%, which is more than a bit silly.

The satisfaction numbers are a bit more within normal bounds though, and I think using them rather than net might be more accurate here - in past elections with huge gaps between the leaders, that works better. 31% sat gap >> 14% election result.
  • Options

Seems silly not to do something of the kind. We haven't really seen decapitation done right, we've only seen it done by Charlie Kennedy, and I suspect this Labour lot might be better at it.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,927
    FPT:

Lib Dems not contesting Beaconsfield.

Wonder how much of this we will see?

The lib dems have to be careful here. Don't stand down against too many labour MPs, just because they are strong remainers.

Wouldn't want to frighten the horses in the leafy enclaves they are trying to take off the tories.
    Surely this is just a special case supporting Dominic Grieve?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,573

Karie Murphy is running a 99% target campaign apparently. So no seat is safe from the Corbyn landslide.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172

Corbyn has misplayed the last year and his position won't fully recover unless the Tories do something mindbogglingly stupid.

Corbyn should have allowed May's deal to pass, so Brexit was out of the way & he could fight an election on favourable grounds.

In fact, the Remainer Parliament has misplayed this. We will all end up with a much harder Brexit because of it.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

Please ignore these sorts of rumours. It won't happen.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    If my Facebook feed is indicative of anything (which it isn't normally to be fair) then, at best, the proliferation of tactical voting advice will lead to people simply doing what they want to do anyway, and using the website that agrees with them to justify it in exhausting and pointless online arguments.

However, at worst, it might even manage to create an anti-tactical voting effect, where people mistakenly follow erroneous advice and make the outcome they want to avoid more likely.

I think this is shaping up to be an epochal shellacking for non-Johnsonites.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Ishmael_Z said:

Seems silly not to do something of the kind. We haven't really seen decapitation done right, we've only seen it done by Charlie Kennedy, and I suspect this Labour lot might be better at it.
    If BJ chickens it is interesting to contrast him to Alex Salmond who stood in a seat that was held by his opponents. Salmond won the seat, I disagree with Salmonds political objectives but that showed balls. BJ likes to call opponents chicken, girly swots and big girls blouses but I suspect BJ will not stand in a Labour held seat which voted Leave like Stoke on Trent Central or Stoke on Trent North, Newcastle under Lyme or anywhere else the narrotive the Brexiteers claim the Tories will win... :wink:
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,771

Karie Murphy is running a 99% target campaign apparently. So no seat is safe from the Corbyn landslide.
    There are 17 seats in NI they wont touch as they dislike bogtrotters and stop the local candidates from standing
  • Options

I'll bet mine is ;)
  • Options

The Great Leap Forwards in Labour electoral fortunes is probably going to be a good metaphor.

The Cultural Revolution that will follow will make the task of government that much easier for Johnson.
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

If BJ chickens it is interesting to contrast him to Alex Salmond who stood in a seat that was held by his opponents. Salmond won the seat, I disagree with Salmonds political objectives but that showed balls. BJ likes to call opponents chicken, girly swots and big girls blouses but I suspect BJ will not stand in a Labour held seat which voted Leave like Stoke on Trent Central or Stoke on Trent North, Newcastle under Lyme or anywhere else the narrotive the Brexiteers claim the Tories will win... :wink:
    Oi, Newcastle under Lyme is already allocated to PB.com...
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,028
    Andrew said:

Net diff of 62 is off the scale. Regression from1979 onwards results suggests an election result of 20%, which is more than a bit silly.

The satisfaction numbers are a bit more within normal bounds though, and I think using them rather than net might be more accurate here - in past elections with huge gaps between the leaders, that works better. 31% sat gap >> 14% election result.

Hi @Andrew - yes the Leader ratings have been very good at predicting results I believe.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,573

I'll bet mine is ;)
    And where is this hallowed ground?
  • Options

I'll bet mine is ;)
    Scotland.
  • Options
    ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312

Ishmael_Z said:

Why would he? He'd have to be as mad as you seem to be.
  • Options
    9% of those who think a delay is bad 😂

Gee turns out people can see through all the silly schenanigans and wheezes of Corbyn, Benn, Grieve and co. No shit Sherlock.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    edited October 2019
    Holy Moly.. that's a huge lead .. if its accurate.. BBC doing is best to be "evenhanded" with vox pops from Harrow... on TWAO.
  • Options

I'll bet mine is ;)
    Anywhere you like.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

LDs now tie Labpur for lead with graduates, Labour led with graduates in 2017.

Tories lead with non graduates https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1189871281027649537?s=20

This would be really interesting if it was corrected for the change in number of people attending university/reaching a particular education level over time. Otherwise it's probably just reflecting the age difference.
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,639
    To put that in context, back in early Jan 2013 when Labour was riding high in the polls, YouGov had 34% of over 60s supporting Labour compared to the present position of 9% of those aged 70+ and 14% of those aged 60-69. Labour was at 44% overall in the same poll. Labour's lead over the Tories was 27% net amongst working class C2DEs, whereas now Labour is 17% behind.

At that point, Cameron had only just announced a referendum on YouGov membership. 52% of Labour supporters were in favour of such a referendum (29% against) and 34% of Labour supporters would vote to leave the EU (48% to remain). Only 2% of 2010 Labour supporters planned to vote UKIP in a GE. An internal debate rumbled on in Labour about whether to back an EU referendum with Balls, Cruddas and Vaz reported to be in favour.

What changed? Well a few days later Miliband came out against the idea and I think Labour never recovered from that disasterous failure in political judgement.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2013/jan/23/ed-miliband-eu-referendum-david-cameron
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818

FPT:

The lib dems have to be careful here. Don't stand down against too many labour MPs, just because they are strong remainers.

Wouldn't want to frighten the horses in the leafy enclaves they are trying to take off the tories.
    Dunno I have read (I think on here? ) that a number of MPs are going to get a free run off the lib dems, including some labour. Nothing certain yet?? guess talks are ongoing.
  • Options

To put that in context, back in early Jan 2013 when Labour was riding high in the polls, YouGov had 34% of over 60s supporting Labour compared to the present position of 9% of those aged 70+ and 14% of those aged 60-69. Labour was at 44% overall in the same poll. Labour's lead over the Tories was 27% net amongst working class C2DEs, whereas now Labour is 17% behind.

At that point, Cameron had only just announced a referendum on YouGov membership. 52% of Labour supporters were in favour of such a referendum (29% against) and 34% of Labour supporters would vote to leave the EU (48% to remain). Only 2% of 2010 Labour supporters planned to vote UKIP in a GE. An internal debate rumbled on in Labour about whether to back an EU referendum with Balls, Cruddas and Vaz reported to be in favour.

What changed? Well a few days later Miliband came out against the idea and I think Labour never recovered from that disasterous failure in political judgement.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2013/jan/23/ed-miliband-eu-referendum-david-cameron
    Referendum on YouGov membership? Would be good to see some polling on that.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,217
    LDs now just 4% behind Labour and Tories 17% in front of Labour, shades of 1983 with Labour trying to hold off the Liberals for second rather than actually being able to beat the Tories?
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819

On the debate on tactical voting, my situation is easy luckily, it's a Lab remainer held seat where the tories came close in 2015 but way out again in 2017. LDs going nowhere, and its not quite a safe enough seat to risk voting for them instead of Lab.

Don't envy those who have a less clear choice but it seems to me that the the safest choice is to go by 2017 results because that is what the average person will do, the one who doesn't look and compare 75 different voting guide websites, and is the only concrete data we have. Euro election results don't count in a GE, its a different system with different stakes so misleading to accord it the same importance as a GE. Also, the argument. That 2017 can't be used as a base because Labour's support has slipped is a circular argument - the people who don't want to vote Labour now are largely the remainer tactical voter types moving to LDs. The bulk of whom will look at their constituency on polling day and cross the Labour box because in this country we vote against the one we want to lose, not for the one we want to win. It sucks for the LDs of course but from a tactical voting system it will almost always be best to just vote for second place party in 2017.
  • Options

FPT:

Dunno I have read (I think on here? ) that a number of MPs are going to get a free run off the lib dems, including some labour. Nothing certain yet?? guess talks are ongoing.
    I think the 'Remain Alliance' is just the LDs, PC, Greens and independents . . . not Labour.
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

Why would he? He'd have to be as mad as you seem to be.
    Thank you. Why do you say I am "mad"? I expect a reply preferably an apology as well.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,217

HYUFD said:

LDs now tie Labpur for lead with graduates, Labour led with graduates in 2017.

Tories lead with non graduates https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1189871281027649537?s=20

This would be really interesting if it was corrected for the change in number of people attending university/reaching a particular education level over time. Otherwise it's probably just reflecting the age difference.
    Yes 30% go to university now, 30 years ago it was 10% who mainly became high earning professionals with no student debt
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

Oi, Newcastle under Lyme is already allocated to PB.com...
    Indeed. I forgot! Best of luck with his campaign.
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819
    AndyJS said:

Please ignore these sorts of rumours. It won't happen.
    Yes I can't believe he would do that, too easy to call him chicken and really looks bad. Plus, if he loses his seat its almost certain he's lost the election anyway. Additionally while it's by no means a safe seat its not that risky a seat. I think he will hold on there with a similar majority to now.
  • Options

FPT:

The LibDems prefer elections when there is only one candidate name on the ballot.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679

Corbyn has misplayed the last year and his position won't fully recover unless the Tories do something mindbogglingly stupid.

Corbyn should have allowed May's deal to pass, so Brexit was out of the way & he could fight an election on favourable grounds.

In fact, the Remainer Parliament has misplayed this. We will all end up with a much harder Brexit because of it.

unless
  • Options

FPT:

The LibDems prefer elections when there is only one candidate name on the ballot.
    ???
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,943
    Oh dear.

I've got a feeling Labour could be in for pasting...
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    He is doing a divide and let the Tories through the middle strategy. I question how effective the Sun will be in communicating the message to such a seat...
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    There’s zip chance of Labour getting a majority . At best they’d need everything to go right to scrape a minority government.

There’s very little Johnson can do to blow this election because Leavers will filter out any major gaffs .

Barring Trump turning up at the NATO summit and saying the NHS is definitely on the table then it’s very hard to see how Labour can overcome the resurgent Lib Dems.

Even though they’re likely to see some squeeze , it won’t be enough to get Labour close .

I’d love to be proven wrong but I simply can’t make a case for a Labour win and then even a minority government still needs everything to align perfectly.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Oh dear.

Early days yet! :wink:
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    In Lewisham East I will vote LD for the first time - solely because they stand a better chance of beating Labour and I do not think the Tories have any hope there now.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    Can I just check: is this a bona fide constituency poll carried out by one of the respected polling agencies?
  • Options
    PierrotPierrot Posts: 112
    edited October 2019
    "The real worry for Labour is that unlike two and a half years ago the LDs are polling at two and a half times the level of what they got then. They’ve also improved their parliamentary position with a by-election success and, of course, a CON and LAB defectors. Their campaign message is totally focused on Brexit and their activity so far appears to be aimed at getting LAB remainer switchers.

Totally focused on Bre-what?

Labour activist: "Brexit isn't the main issue."

95% of those who care: "Damned right it isn't."

5%: "But Tarquin and Jemima reminded me after they went on an Extinction Rebellion protest that it's so important for us to Remain. I'm thinking of voting LD.

Labour activist: "I know what you mean, but it's got to be done democratically (wink), otherwise the pitchforks will come out and Tarquin and Jemima might get something much more serious to protest about than the imminent destruction of all life on Earth because some people haven't gone all electric yet. The LDs don't think for a moment they'll actually get in, and even if they did they wouldn't really revoke unless they got more than 50% of voteshare, which they obviously won't. It's Tory nutters that caused the whole Brexit mess and the only way to put it behind us is with a referendum and (mumble mumble) Remain (mumble mumble) seriousness not protest...and good state schools too...really jolly good ones."

In February the TIG were polling at 14% with YouGov and that was supposed to scare the crap out of Labour too.

This will be a hyper-polarised election. Lab + Con >80% in GB.
  • Options

On the debate on tactical voting, my situation is easy luckily, it's a Lab remainer held seat where the tories came close in 2015 but way out again in 2017. LDs going nowhere, and its not quite a safe enough seat to risk voting for them instead of Lab.

Don't envy those who have a less clear choice but it seems to me that the the safest choice is to go by 2017 results because that is what the average person will do, the one who doesn't look and compare 75 different voting guide websites, and is the only concrete data we have. Euro election results don't count in a GE, its a different system with different stakes so misleading to accord it the same importance as a GE. Also, the argument. That 2017 can't be used as a base because Labour's support has slipped is a circular argument - the people who don't want to vote Labour now are largely the remainer tactical voter types moving to LDs. The bulk of whom will look at their constituency on polling day and cross the Labour box because in this country we vote against the one we want to lose, not for the one we want to win. It sucks for the LDs of course but from a tactical voting system it will almost always be best to just vote for second place party in 2017.

How much reliable constituency opinion polling are we likely to get... I do think that could be beneficial for anyone considering tacttical voting.

If I were a billionaire I'd be funding 600+ constituency opinion polls and publishing them as an independent service to voters.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,282
    GIN1138 said:

Oh dear.

It feels like turning into the election that 2017 could have been if Farron wasn't rubbish and Corbyn didn't stage a miracle recovery.
  • Options
    nico67 said:

There’s zip chance of Labour getting a majority . At best they’d need everything to go right to scrape a minority government.

There’s very little Johnson can do to blow this election because Leavers will filter out any major gaffs .

Barring Trump turning up at the NATO summit and saying the NHS is definitely on the table then it’s very hard to see how Labour can overcome the resurgent Lib Dems.

Even though they’re likely to see some squeeze , it won’t be enough to get Labour close .

I’d love to be proven wrong but I simply can’t make a case for a Labour win and then even a minority government still needs everything to align perfectly.

it wouldn't surprise me if Cummings main advice to Johnson is: don't say or do anything controversial for the entire duration of the campaign. Because things are going very nicely at the moment, and we can only mess it up, as Mrs May did in 2017.
  • Options
    Corbyn wants everyone providing NHS services to be an NHS employee.

I think the Royal College of GPs may have a few comments about that...
  • Options
    edited October 2019

FPT:

???
    Well, they seem to spend most of their time pestering other parties to withdraw.

I'll be fascinated to see how this plays out in Wales. There is absolute rage on the Plaid Cymru/Welsh Nationalist blogs as to what Adam Price has done.
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,916
    viewcode said:

Barnesian said:

Labour retains by 1,400 but it's close

Additive model (UNS) gives Con 19,339. Lab 22,405
    Multiplicative gives Con 19,494, Lab 19,366

I use 80/20 additive/multiplicative and this gives Con 19,370, Lab 21,794

EDIT: This includes a 400 tactical vote from LDs for Labour.
    It also assumes BXP stand (no UKIP last time) and get 5,400 so that is a critical assumption.

Which is a bit of a problem. You have two models, combine them in a way that may well be valid but has no apparent justification, then make post-modelling adjustments. It's not unheard of, and many modellers behave like this, but it becomes progressively more difficult to defend.

Excuse me while I rant for a moment.

Modellers do this and it drives me nuts. Every time one gets good, they start publishing more than one. Nate Silver (or 538, I forget which) had six simultaneously. Ashcroft had three MRP models. Hix had two or three. It doesn't help and arguably makes things worse. If both of your models are wrong, why does combining them make it better? If one is correct, why do the other model? Aaargh!

End rant ... :)
    I agree that doing silly things post-hoc with good models is usually a silly thing to do, but I think (and hope) you know enough about statistics to realise that just saying "combining models drives me nuts" is overly simplistic. For a start everyone who works with data knows that there is no such thing as a right model, so every model is wrong. A model can be aimed at giving a good fit, or good prediction or insight into the data. If you are very lucky you get all three.

"If both of your models are wrong, why does combining them make it better? If one is correct, why do the other model?"
    But you do not know which model is correct! Example: you can see two clocks, which differ by four minutes. It is quite likely that one is almost right and the other is slow/fast. If you need to guess "exactly the right time" then you choose one of the two clocks at random, you'll be right 50% of the time. But with prediction you are usually aiming to minimise some kind of loss function. If you wan to minimise the difference between your estimate and the real time you would take an average of the two clocks, even though you know your estimate is almost certainly going to be wrong, your loss will lower.

• Options
    Pelosi is choking in a news conference, it is cringeworthy. She keeps tripping over her words and saying the wrong words.
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

He won't chicken run as it'd look awful.

But didn't Salmond also have a fall-back due to the electoral system, as he could have gone on via the regional list? Not sure if he was nominated in that election, but a regional member could have resigned and been replaced by Salmond without further ado.

Johnson wouldn't have that - he could lean on a safe seat occupant to stand down, but would need to go through a fairly lengthy election process which wouldn't be guaranteed by any means and would leave a very odd position in the (very unlikely) event of a Tory majority AND a Johnson defeat.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    AndyJS said:

HYUFD said:
    Can I just check: is this a bona fide constituency poll carried out by one of the respected polling agencies?
    No. It's MRP... which may be better than traditional polls.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multilevel_regression_with_poststratification
  • Options

Pelosi is choking in a news conference, it is cringeworthy. She keeps tripping over her words and saying the wrong words.

She's the same age as Ken Clarke.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

HYUFD said:
    Sort of, I believe it is a bona fide MRP poll that has done every constituency, like the amazingly accurate one YouGov did last time. Apparently they have figures for every constituency.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    AndyJS said:

nico67 said:

it wouldn't surprise me if Cummings main advice to Johnson is: don't say or do anything controversial for the entire duration of the campaign. Because things are going very nicely at the moment, and we can only mess it up, as Mrs May did in 2017.
    Crosby not (or as well as) Cummings. Lynton Crosby's SOP is once you've got a lead, say nothing. That is why I doubt the debates (with Boris) will take place. Compare and contrast David Cameron in 2010 and 2015.
  • Options
    nunu2nunu2 Posts: 1,453
    If Boris has a positive rating and Corbys in down in the dumps, there will be huge tactical voting against Corbyn not Tories
  • Options

AndyJS said:

HYUFD said:

Oh yes, similar to the thing YouGov did last time which miraculously correctly predicted a Labour gain in Canterbury.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

HYUFD said:
    It's not a constituency poll, it's the output of an MRP model. Looks quite reputable, though.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

HYUFD said:

Oh yes, similar to the thing YouGov did last time which miraculously correctly predicted a Labour gain in Canterbury.
    Indeed - it would be lovely to see the full analysis for ever constituency.
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

But didn't Salmond also have a fall-back due to the electoral system, as he could have gone on via the regional list? Not sure if he was nominated in that election, but a regional member could have resigned and been replaced by Salmond without further ado.

Johnson wouldn't have that - he could lean on a safe seat occupant to stand down, but would need to go through a fairly lengthy election process which wouldn't be guaranteed by any means and would leave a very odd position in the (very unlikely) event of a Tory majority AND a Johnson defeat.
    True but I am contrasting the macho hubris to the reality that Johnson says one thing and does another!
  • Options
    PaulMPaulM Posts: 613

My concern with 2017 is based on the premise that rather than swings, Labour's performance was driven by a huge effort to get out the core vote. When you look at the surge in Labour votes in certain seats it wasn't all swings. If Labour can get these people to the polling stations/postal votes etc again, then they may be underreported. If they can't then the tactical voting based on 2017 is flawed.

Take Southport for instance, where Labour got 15,000 votes for the first time in eons and came second in what has always been a Con-LD marginal. Should tactical voters vote Labour based on that ?

• Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited October 2019
    AndyJS said:

HYUFD said:
    46000 people by 630 ish Contituencies == 75 people per constituency.

This is the approach YouGov took for its great 2017 MRP poll but the error bars are large, you cannot possibly extrapolate a single constituency to 1 decimal place without a huge amount of context to explain what that means and what the upper and lower bounds are. That is outrageously stupid at best and deliberately misleading at worst.
  • Options

How much reliable constituency opinion polling are we likely to get... I do think that could be beneficial for anyone considering tacttical voting.

If I were a billionaire I'd be funding 600+ constituency opinion polls and publishing them as an independent service to voters.
    Lord Ashcroft did that in 2015 IIRC (well, not 600, but quite a few), and the results were completely useless. Single-constituency polls are very hard to do, and generally best treated with copious pinches of salt.
  • Options

You could be in the same constituency as me,... oh hold there are many many constituencies like this. You and I were accused of being "Labour Robot Voters" this morning.
  • Options
    Christ, that second paragraph about how they got the data makes me break out in a cold sweat. Why just mention YouGov unless you are trying to trick people into thinking this is THE YouGov MRP model.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,925
    edited October 2019

FPT:

Your hatred of the Lib Dems borders on the pathological. You are entitled to your views but tyou are so obsessed it renders your comments worthless.

We have an electoral system that unfairly discriminates against any party other than Labour and the Tories. The minor parties are therefore driven to do what they can to mitigate that bias. If you honestly can't see that then I should give up if I were you.
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

No he stood for Westminster in the Lib Dem seat of Gordon, once the incumbent (Malcolm Bruce) had stepped down, and in an election (2015) when everyone and their brother knew the LDs were going to take a hammering. Don't think it was the ballsy move Taxman thinks.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

AndyJS said:

HYUFD said:

This is the approach YouGov took for its great 2017 MRP poll but the error bars are large, you cannot possibly extrapolate a single constituency to 1 decimal place without a huge amount of context to explain what that means and what the upper and lower bounds are. That is outrageously stupid at best and deliberately misleading at worst.
    No, no, no, you have misunderstood. It's not '75 people per constituency', it is thousands of people categorised by various parameters (age, income, class etc), and then those parameters applied to the known figures for the constituency. It's well-known technique which can be very effective if well done.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

HYUFD said:

See my caveats. The fact it is drawn from multiple.different pollsters almost cripples this. The YouGov one they can balance.as they know who they have polled across the whole week. This seems like a grab bag.
  • Options
    edited October 2019

Lord Ashcroft did that in 2015 IIRC (well, not 600, but quite a few), and the results were completely useless. Single-constituency polls are very hard to do, and generally best treated with copious pinches of salt.
    The Scotland constituency polls were very good. The rest of the UK polls were not.
  • Options

FPT:

You say that like it's almost a joke, or a cutting piece of sarcasm, but when the great Liberal Prime Minister won his fourth term in office, at the 1892 general election, there were an average of 1.94 candidates per MP.

I'm not sure how that works out in terms of number of unopposed candidates, because I think there were some constituency quirks that muddy the water. I've found a different website with the stats and it looks like a relatively good year for having a vote, with only 63 unopposed candidates.

Often more than 100, or even 200 MPs would be elected unopposed, a practice that hasn't been seen at all since 1951 and only in a handful of seats since there were 40 in 1935.

So it does look like the Liberals only prosper without any competition at all. How diverting.
  • Options
    nunu2 said:

If Boris has a positive rating and Corbys in down in the dumps, there will be huge tactical voting against Corbyn not Tories

Con/LD tactical voters are a different beast to Lab/LD tactical voters. The crossover from one to the other will be practically nil.
  • Options

Alistair said:

AndyJS said:

HYUFD said:

No, no, no, you have misunderstood. It's not '75 people per constituency', it is thousands of people categorised by various parameters (age, income, class etc), and then those parameters applied to the known figures for the constituency. It's well-known technique which can be very effective if well done.
    I understand how it was done, I was pointing out how many people per constituency it would be if perfectly sampled.

But I also don't understand how it was done, as it has been synthesised together from multiple different survey companies. Each company will have a different bias when sampling, that can't possibly be taken into account when aggregating the data - unlike YouGov's tremendous attmept in 2017.

Also YouGov's data was very open and honest about the wide error bars their approach had. This is presenting the midpoint as if it is precise fact.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    OllyT said:

FPT:

Your hatred of the Lib Dems borders on the pathological. You are entitled to your views but they are almost worthless as insight into what is happening.

We have an electoral system that unfairly discriminates against ant party other than Labour and the Tories. The minor parties are therefore driven to do what they can to mitigate that bias. If you honestly can't see that then I should give up if I were you.
    I just don't think people vote in the simplistic manner that you (and the LibDems) seem to believe.

I don't think just because there is no Green candidate, a Green voter says "I will put on my yellow rosette and now vote LibDem."

And to be fair, one of the LibDem posters on this site (TorbyFennel, I believe) confirmed this.

He said he voted LibDem because he wants to see LibDem policies enacted (nothing wrong with that). And if the LibDems didn't stand in a constituency, he wouldn't vote.

I like people like Torby, because he has something definite he believes in, and he wants to vote for it.

I despise all this chicanery of forcing the Greens to stand down, or making a stupid alliance with parties smaller than you (but not ones bigger than you) so you get a clear run. It is false and hypocritical.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,010

AndyJS said:

HYUFD said:
    Sort of, I believe it is a bona fide MRP poll that has done every constituency, like the amazingly accurate one YouGov did last time. Apparently they have figures for every constituency.
    This will really help the LibDems.

Without constituency polling there is only the 2017 result. LDs could try using the Euros or local election results but that lacks credibility. These constituency polls are perfect for squeeze leaflets.
  • Options
    Vaz suspended.

If he is re-elected, motion will be brought back to the house in the next term, in order that he serves the full suspension.

Lab need to withdraw the whip now.
  • Options
    eristdoof said:

nunu2 said:

Con/LD tactical voters are a different beast to Lab/LD tactical voters. The crossover from one to the other will be practically nil.
    I think Corbyn's problem is going to be the stay at homes. I really do not like the idea of Bozo doing well, but the one upside will hopefully be Labour returning to some sense of sanity which will, in turn cause the Conservatives to become more sensible again. It will be a long game to get British politics away fromthe extremists and back to sanity, but I will hopefully happen
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

AndyJS said:

HYUFD said:

Without constituency polling there is only the 2017 result. LDs could try using the Euros or local election results but that lacks credibility. These constituency polls are perfect for squeeze leaflets.
    BarnesIan FPT
    In your model, are you not double counting the tactical voting ? Presumably in the seats where it might matter most, it was fairly close last time and a fair chunk of the TV is already built in, right ?
  • Options
    Alistair said:

I understand how it was done, I was pointing out how many people per constituency it would be if perfectly sampled.

But I also don't understand how it was done, as it has been synthesised together from multiple different survey companies. Each company will have a different bias when sampling, that can't possibly be taken into account when aggregating the data - unlike YouGov's tremendous attmept in 2017.

Also YouGov's data was very open and honest about the wide error bars their approach had. This is presenting the midpoint as if it is precise fact.

You are certainly right on the lack of error bars point, but sadly that is all too common a fault. I'm not sure about the combination of pollsters point, it would depend on exactly what they've done. My guess is that it's mainly YouGov data, simply because they seem to have more data than anyone else.
  • Options
    For example the 2017 YouGov gave the Cons in Kensington a midpoint of 42.7, a high of 49.6 and a low of 35.3.

Those a big error bars. And these Best for Britain chancers are pretending they don't exist.

• Options
    TabmanTabman Posts: 1,046

OllyT said:

FPT:

Your hatred of the Lib Dems borders on the pathological. You are entitled to your views but they are almost worthless as insight into what is happening.

We have an electoral system that unfairly discriminates against ant party other than Labour and the Tories. The minor parties are therefore driven to do what they can to mitigate that bias. If you honestly can't see that then I should give up if I were you.
    I just don't think people vote in the simplistic manner that you (and the LibDems) seem to believe.

I don't think just because there is no Green candidate, a Green voter says "I will put on my yellow rosette and now vote LibDem."

And to be fair to see, one of the LibDem posters on this site (TorbyFennel, I believe) confirmed this.

He said he voted LibDem because he wants to see LibDem policies enacted (nothing wrong with that). And if the LibDems didn't stand in a constituency, he wouldn't vote.

I like people like Torby, because he has something definite he believes in, and he wants to vote for it.

I despise all this chicanery of forcing the Greens to stand down, or making a stupid alliance with parties smaller than you (but not ones bigger than you) so you get a clear run. It is false and hypocritical.
    If it is false and hypocritical it's because the system forces that behaviour on people. But you know that (you're just not admitting it).

The forced choice many people have to make is:

- do I vote for my principles but have no effect on the election outcome, or
    - do I vote for the least worst option in the hope that it might affect the outcome slightly

The solution to the problem is to operate an electoral system that allows a vote to be cast both in line with the voter's principles AND with a chance of affecting the outcome of the election.
  • Options
    A shocking miss by YouGov as well - as we all know the Cons got 42.18, not 42.7.
  • Options

Vaz suspended.

If he is re-elected, motion will be brought back to the house in the next term, in order that he serves the full suspension.

Lab need to withdraw the whip now.

Why? He seems perfectly suited.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Christ, that second paragraph about how they got the data makes me break out in a cold sweat. Why just mention YouGov unless you are trying to trick people into thinking this is THE YouGov MRP model.

Yes I hadn't seen that before and I think it potentially brings the whole exercise into serious doubt.

It's a shame because, in principle, I think it's a much better approach then just using the GE2017 figures, given the large swings since then.

No such worries for the Tories of course.
  • Options
    Pierrot said:

"The real worry for Labour is that unlike two and a half years ago the LDs are polling at two and a half times the level of what they got then. They’ve also improved their parliamentary position with a by-election success and, of course, a CON and LAB defectors. Their campaign message is totally focused on Brexit and their activity so far appears to be aimed at getting LAB remainer switchers.

Totally focused on Bre-what?

Labour activist: "Brexit isn't the main issue."

95% of those who care: "Damned right it isn't."

5%: "But Tarquin and Jemima reminded me after they went on an Extinction Rebellion protest that it's so important for us to Remain. I'm thinking of voting LD.

Labour activist: "I know what you mean, but it's got to be done democratically (wink), otherwise the pitchforks will come out and Tarquin and Jemima might get something much more serious to protest about than the imminent destruction of all life on Earth because some people haven't gone all electric yet. The LDs don't think for a moment they'll actually get in, and even if they did they wouldn't really revoke unless they got more than 50% of voteshare, which they obviously won't. It's Tory nutters that caused the whole Brexit mess and the only way to put it behind us is with a referendum and (mumble mumble) Remain (mumble mumble) seriousness not protest...and good state schools too...really jolly good ones."

In February the TIG were polling at 14% with YouGov and that was supposed to scare the crap out of Labour too.

This will be a hyper-polarised election. Lab + Con >80% in GB.

No idea what point you are attempting to make here, other than appearing to hope the LDs won't do well. Is that it? Your last comment; is that also just hope, or do you have evidence?
  • Options
    OllyT said:

FPT:

Your hatred of the Lib Dems borders on the pathological. You are entitled to your views but tyou are so obsessed it renders your comments worthless.

We have an electoral system that unfairly discriminates against any party other than Labour and the Tories. The minor parties are therefore driven to do what they can to mitigate that bias. If you honestly can't see that then I should give up if I were you.
    Nonsense. Does the electoral system discriminate against the SNP?

The electoral system rewards success and penalises favour. It has no regard to which party is which.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    nunu2 said:

Surely that isn't tactical voting it is voting according to your beliefs, views and assessment of the politics and politicians.
  • Options
    How far in front was TMay t this point of the last GE? I wonder whether opinion polls suggesting large Tory leads are counter productive for the Tories, as their opponents become motivated to stop a majority.
  • Options
    Tabman said:

OllyT said:

FPT:

And to be fair to see, one of the LibDem posters on this site (TorbyFennel, I believe) confirmed this.

If it is false and hypocritical it's because the system forces that behaviour on people. But you know that (you're just not admitting it).

- do I vote for the least worst option in the hope that it might affect the outcome slightly

The solution to the problem is to operate an electoral system that allows a vote to be cast both in line with the voter's principles AND with a chance of affecting the outcome of the election.
    People are perfectly entitled to vote for whomever they want to vote for and for whatever reason they choose.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,022

How far in front was TMay t this point of the last GE? I wonder whether opinion polls suggesting large Tory leads are counter productive for the Tories, as their opponents become motivated to stop a majority.

Further ahead, about a 20% lead.
  • Options
    Tabman said:

"But you know that (you're just not admitting it)."

I voted for AV in 2011. I am perfectly well aware of the drawbacks of FPTP.

I have also noted with wry amusement the behaviour of the Canadian Liberals who were in favour of electoral reform when they were driven into third place. But, they lost their enthusiasm for reform once they won with FPTP in 2015.

And, even more ironically, the Liberals only retained power in 2019 because of FPTP, since they lost the popular vote.

So, less patronising lectures from Tabman please about "you're not admitting it"
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,010
    PaulM said:

Barnesian said:

AndyJS said:

HYUFD said:

BarnesIan FPT
    In your model, are you not double counting the tactical voting ? Presumably in the seats where it might matter most, it was fairly close last time and a fair chunk of the TV is already built in, right ?
    I understand your point.

The national shares in the polls will reflect genuine non-tactical movements from eg Lab to LD but will also contain an element of tactical considerations in some seats so there is an element of doublecounting.

But the number of seats where this might apply are relatively small in number and the tactical considerations will be confused (as we can see from the debates on here) and possibly self-cancelling in the big picture. So I making the assumption that the effect is not material enough to affect the national shares. The national shares are a measure of basic intent. The tactical assumptions are then applied individually for each constituency.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    It's difficult to believe Labour are doing quite as badly as that in Kensington.
  • Options
    TabmanTabman Posts: 1,046

OllyT said:

FPT:

Nonsense. Does the electoral system discriminate against the SNP?

The electoral system rewards success and penalises favour. It has no regard to which party is which.
    Nonsense. We have an electoral system that favours parties with geographically-concentrated support.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

For example the 2017 YouGov gave the Cons in Kensington a midpoint of 42.7, a high of 49.6 and a low of 35.3.

Those a big error bars. And these Best for Britain chancers are pretending they don't exist.

Even with very wide error bars they are going to be making a deterministic recommendation and that will be to the pro-Remain candidate most likely to be the nearest challenger. That will be the one with the highest midpoint.

So for their purposes the error bars don't matter so much.
  • Options
    nunu2nunu2 Posts: 1,453
    philiph said:

nunu2 said:

Surely that isn't tactical voting it is voting according to your beliefs, views and assessment of the politics and politicians.
    I believe if the Best PM numbers are correct a lot of libdems will vote tory to stop a Corbyn PM

That is not what libdems believe but rather the lesser of two evils.
This discussion has been closed.