Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Corbyn goes into the campaign with the worst Ipsos MORI opposi

Comments

• Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,556
    tlg86 said:

Loving the BBC getting their knickers in a twist over Trump. Of course, what Obama did was totally okay.

(Trump's intervention is about as helpful to Boris as Obama's intervention was for Remain).

Trump providing a regular commentary, as I'm sure Nigel could arrange, could be the black swan of this election. Anything Trump says is likely to be bad for Boris.
  • Options
    alex. said:

Are the Tories going to spend the entire election referencing Brexit sound bites or are they actually going to focus on Labour policies (and in a forensic way that will actually be effective). At the moment (although haven’t been paying much attention) I’m getting

“Corbyn says X, Johnson says he delayed Brexit, Corbyn said Y, Johnson says he can’t get Brexit done, Corbyn announces slaughter of the first born, Johnson “but Brexit”...”

Boris was full on the NHS, schools and police today affirming from the end of January we would be out and br able to get on with all these issues

So far he has not attacked Corbyn's policies but plenty of others are
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Why are the poorest getting poorer and the top 1% richer than ever

Capitalism isnt working for them is it?

Your having a Laffer

Trickle down economics works.

The plebs should be grateful.
    Hey, TSE, glad you’re on. You’re a Cambridge educated lawyer. How could Richard Burgon have got a law degree from the place? Is there any explanation that doesn’t include fellatio, bribery or a changeling?
    He didn't read Law, he read English Literature at St John's, he must have gotten in as chorister.
    A chorister?

He can sing?

I would have sworn he had no vocal training whatsoever given the roughness of his diction.

That really is surprising.
    I have no idea, I'm speculating.
    So are we back to fellatio again?

Umm, that is, as a possible explanation for his matriculation.
    You're finding fellatio hard to swallow?
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,196
    ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

blueblue said:

Pierrot said:

HYUFD said:
    Corbyn tripped up on a word - "millionaire" instead of "billionaire" - probably accidentally, but to judge from his opponents' response the next time he trips it will be on purpose.

"Not everyone can be rich." What a great line for winning an election.

And how long will it take for Tory strategists to realise the term "Corbynista" doesn't play well? Labour seems very focused, with the Tories all over the place.

Are you joking? When Corbyn says "Not everyone can be rich", I hear "I will leave you poor"!

How many people do you think actually want this far-left garbage?
    You don’t make poor people rich by making rich people poor. Easy response.

So u make the rich super rich and they still use tax avoidance schemes so you have to make the poorest even poorer.

Capitalism is fooked
    It is hard to have sympathy when these rich barstewards are not happy having more money than they could ever spend and still avoid tax, cheat lies steal etc. People are quite happy that people are rich , it the cheating tax etc that gets them.
    Shame that Corbyn sees nothing wrong with, say, Ian Lavery’s interesting financial arrangements.
    Ydoether, they are all cheeks of the same arse.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,087
    Entirely unrelated, but in the spirit of former President Obama's work on woke culture, I actually encountered the first person I have ever met who used the term work unironically. I was beginning to think 'woke' was purely a term used by opponents of workness on the right, and Obama.
  • Options
    spudgfshspudgfsh Posts: 1,312
    GIN1138 said:

spudgfsh said:

does Nigel Farage have to give up the radio show during the general election?

Yes.
    Good
  • Options
    Time_to_LeaveTime_to_Leave Posts: 2,547
    edited October 2019
    Statements like “trickle down economics works. The plebs should be grateful” demonstrate why nobody likes that sort of conservative view. It’s said in jest, but you can see that part of it is believed.

That party is a useful vehicle for now on Brexit, but after that we’ll have to see whether it has been rehabilitated or not. I suspect not.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,537
    Foxy said:

Having arrived home, Mrs Foxy very impressed by Jezza's campaign launch. Normally she has a low opinion of him.

Having just looked at the highlights, I agree. Jezza in in his element campaigning and working a crowd. The climate crisis might be this elections ace in the hole with the youngsters and a fair number of more senior voters, comparable to tuition fees in 2017.

If he lays into the Tories and not Lib Dems he will get a lot of tactical votes

The key to undermining his credibility will be a proper job on the costings. They won’t add up, because they never do with Corbyn.

You do wonder however whether Javid will be up to doing that, and Johnson certainly isn’t.
  • Options
    DruttDrutt Posts: 1,093
    malcolmg said:

blueblue said:

Pierrot said:

HYUFD said:
    Corbyn tripped up on a word - "millionaire" instead of "billionaire" - probably accidentally, but to judge from his opponents' response the next time he trips it will be on purpose.

And how long will it take for Tory strategists to realise the term "Corbynista" doesn't play well? Labour seems very focused, with the Tories all over the place.

Are you joking? When Corbyn says "Not everyone can be rich", I hear "I will leave you poor"!

So u make the rich super rich and they still use tax avoidance schemes so you have to make the poorest even poorer.

Capitalism is fooked
    It is hard to have sympathy when these rich barstewards are not happy having more money than they could ever spend and still avoid tax, cheat lies steal etc. People are quite happy that people are rich , it the cheating tax etc that gets them.
    Yes, I read something like that in the Guardian (prop. Apax partners, Cayman Islands)
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Having arrived home, Mrs Foxy very impressed by Jezza's campaign launch. Normally she has a low opinion of him.

Having just looked at the highlights, I agree. Jezza in in his element campaigning and working a crowd. The climate crisis might be this elections ace in the hole with the youngsters and a fair number of more senior voters, comparable to tuition fees in 2017.

Being a LD I think Dr Foxy's words are pretty notable here - so long as his minders keep him focused in the right diretion, LDs will vote tactically for Corbyn pretty easily I suspect.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

blueblue said:

Pierrot said:

HYUFD said:

Capitalism is fooked
    Shame that Corbyn sees nothing wrong with, say, Ian Lavery’s interesting financial arrangements.
    No argument from me Malc, I’ve been saying it for months.

How are the turnips, btw? Looks like we need some...
  • Options
    edited October 2019

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Your having a Laffer

Hey, TSE, glad you’re on. You’re a Cambridge educated lawyer. How could Richard Burgon have got a law degree from the place? Is there any explanation that doesn’t include fellatio, bribery or a changeling?
    He didn't read Law, he read English Literature at St John's, he must have gotten in as chorister.
    A chorister?

He can sing?

I would have sworn he had no vocal training whatsoever given the roughness of his diction.

That really is surprising.
    I have no idea, I'm speculating.
    So are we back to fellatio again?

Umm, that is, as a possible explanation for his matriculation.
    You're finding fellatio hard to swallow?
    It’s just a stiff challenge to think how somebody as dense as him could (a) have got in and (b) got a degree.

I’m putting forward the more common ones as suggestions.

I don’t think chorister works, on a number of levels. All other considerations aside, they don’t guarantee a pass for singing tenor in chapel.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,950
    ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

The key to undermining his credibility will be a proper job on the costings. They won’t add up, because they never do with Corbyn.

You do wonder however whether Javid will be up to doing that, and Johnson certainly isn’t.
    Brexit has shredded the Tory reputation for fiscal rectitude, that one simply won't wash this time.
  • Options

£10 minimum wage for 16 year old is a policy that will create huge youth employment

Most businesses will give youth a chance to learn and develop but if at the same minimum wage as a mature worker they will not get that chance

G , did you mean unemployment, hard to see businesses paying £10 an hour to 16 year olds.
  • Options
    Gabs2Gabs2 Posts: 1,268
    kle4 said:

Foxy said:

Being a LD I think Dr Foxy's words are pretty notable here - so long as his minders keep him focused in the right diretion, LDs will vote tactically for Corbyn pretty easily I suspect.
    I would like to think British Liberals would have more sympathy with their Jewish compatriots than to vote Corbyn. A vote for Corbyn is saying you are ok with Anti-Semitism.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

nico67 said:

Trump backs BJ for UK election. Boost for Boris or drag? Trump was on LBC radio according to sky.

If I was Johnson I’d tell Trump to stay quiet . Labours main message will be to tie Bozo to him in terms of the NHS,

The more Trump supports Johnson the more harm it will do him .

Johnson selling off the NHS could kill his plans to win a majority.
    Him saying they would take Scottish NHS under Westminster control will have delighted the Tories in Scotland. That will help them on doorsteps.
    Boris has affirmed on many occasions the NHS is not for sale so selling it off either before or after the GE will not happen

It is Corbyn's imagination and in todays poll Boris is ahead of Corbyn 36-34 on the NHS
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

Brexit has shredded the Tory reputation for fiscal rectitude, that one simply won't wash this time.
    Well, it will if there’s another £250 billion black hole in an allegedly fully costed manifesto. I just don’t think anyone will investigate it in sufficient depth to make a difference.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    glw said:

tlg86 said:

Loving the BBC getting their knickers in a twist over Trump. Of course, what Obama did was totally okay.

(Trump's intervention is about as helpful to Boris as Obama's intervention was for Remain).

Trump providing a regular commentary, as I'm sure Nigel could arrange, could be the black swan of this election. Anything Trump says is likely to be bad for Boris.
    Trump's intervention is great stuff. In an interview with Farage, no less. Honestly worth as much for us as the excellent launch (quite fairly reported by the 6 o'clock news, I thought - pros and cons for each policy mentioned).
  • Options
    Gabs2 said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

I would like to think British Liberals would have more sympathy with their Jewish compatriots than to vote Corbyn. A vote for Corbyn is saying you are ok with Anti-Semitism.
    I think there is very little question those thinking of voting LD will vote Labour in droves. Remainerism will see to that (where local candidate is suitably remainy), nothing else matters in terms of support, and it will be whether there's enough to put them off doing so. Since Corbyn is not standing in every constitency, his issues can be ignored.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

£10 minimum wage for 16 year old is a policy that will create huge youth employment

Most businesses will give youth a chance to learn and develop but if at the same minimum wage as a mature worker they will not get that chance

G , did you mean unemployment, hard to see businesses paying £10 an hour to 16 year olds.
    Yes thanks Malc - age related methinks- of course it is unemployment
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

In 1987, the Alliance circulated one million copies of a leaflet confidently stating their policies would reduce employment by over one million in three years before anyone spotted the typo.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

blueblue said:

Pierrot said:

HYUFD said:

Capitalism is fooked
    No argument from me Malc, I’ve been saying it for months.

How are the turnips, btw? Looks like we need some...
    They need to be loaded with shrapnel and jaggy things
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,736
    Foxy said:
    "Having arrived home, Mrs Foxy very impressed by Jezza's campaign launch. Normally she has a low opinion of him."

Any pictures of Mrs Foxy?
  • Options

malcolmg said:

nico67 said:

Trump backs BJ for UK election. Boost for Boris or drag? Trump was on LBC radio according to sky.

If I was Johnson I’d tell Trump to stay quiet . Labours main message will be to tie Bozo to him in terms of the NHS,

Him saying they would take Scottish NHS under Westminster control will have delighted the Tories in Scotland. That will help them on doorsteps.
    Boris has affirmed on many occasions the NHS is not for sale so selling it off either before or after the GE will not happen

It is Corbyn's imagination and in todays poll Boris is ahead of Corbyn 36-34 on the NHS
    It is therefore also THE issue where Corbyn desperately needs to go on the attack.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

nico67 said:

Threatening to take control of it from Scottish government and moving it to Westminster is a pretty stupid move that only a nasty cretin like him could come up with. He really is desperate to bust the union and get shot of Scotland.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502

malcolmg said:

nico67 said:

Denials from Bozo or Trump mean nothing . Both are pathological liars . Labour will go hard on the NHS and Trump .

• Options
    kle4 said:

I think there is very little question those thinking of voting LD will vote Labour in droves. Remainerism will see to that (where local candidate is suitably remainy), nothing else matters in terms of support, and it will be whether there's enough to put them off doing so. Since Corbyn is not standing in every constitency, his issues can be ignored.

It's the wrong question, though. The right question is whether they will vote Labour in greater or fewer droves than they did in 2017 and 2015. It's always important to remember that tactical voting is baked in to the starting positions.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Gabs2 said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

The idea that anyone puts their preference for EU policy above and beyond support for the equality of their fellow citizens is very upsetting to me.
  • Options
    nico67 said:

Denials from Bozo or Trump mean nothing . Both are pathological liars . Labour will go hard on the NHS and Trump .

Pretty hard to deny something which is completely meaningless, so I expect Boris won't bother.
  • Options

Roger said:

"Stop Brexit for a brighter future". A bit vague by the Lib Dems. I think I'd go a little more DFS.

THE £70 BILLION BREXIT BONUS!!!

EVERY YEAR FOR THE NEXT TEN YEARS!!!!

£70 Billion is over ten years, so it should be £7 Billion.
    you do maths too!!!
    What do you mean, too? Maths is the language of science.
  • Options
    Brilliant tweet by Corbyn in response to Trumps comments .

Covers both angles and should be plastered over social media .
  • Options

kle4 said:

It's the wrong question, though. The right question is whether they will vote Labour in greater or fewer droves than they did in 2017 and 2015. It's always important to remember that tactical voting is baked in to the starting positions.
    Difficult question, as there weren't as many thinking of LD last time to be squeezed further (though they were indeed squeezed). I think the answer is they won't to the same degree, so it will see a Tory majority unless Farage buggers it up, or Boris has a May like campaign.
  • Options

Roger said:

"Stop Brexit for a brighter future". A bit vague by the Lib Dems. I think I'd go a little more DFS.

you do maths too!!!
    As the joke used to go in my Uni biology is really chemistry, chemistry is really physics, physics is really maths, and maths is really hard.
  • Options
    nico67 said:

What was it?
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    kle4 said:

Gabs2 said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

That’s rubbish if you are thinking of voting lib dem it’s because you either believe in them or you think the two alternatives are equally evil. No way would I vote for either corbyn or Johnson both being the worst UK politics have ever put before the people.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

nico67 said:

It is therefore also THE issue where Corbyn desperately needs to go on the attack.
    The problem for Corbyn he is behind Boris on most key issues

NHS 36-34
    Economy 44-20
    Defence 48-16
    Jobs 38-30
    Foreign Pol 41-18
    Trade 45 -2
    Welfare 30-37

So only on welfare does he beat Boris

And if those figures are accurate he is not going to improve on his seats and the question is how many he will lose
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,519
    Gabs2 said:

kinabalu said:

Gabs2 said:

It is amazing that the only people on here calling the Boris deal a surrender are the ones that are ardent Remainers that won't accept the vote. As far as I can tell the post-transition state it delivers is everything the right wants.

The 'surrender' is of Northern Ireland - it's staying in the EU. Exactly as Merkel supposedly 'demanded' in that 'scandalous' phone call. You know, the one that people got dutifully all worked up about when Cummings briefed it? Yet now it's come to pass it's not a scandal at all. It's cool. Because Boris says it is. Hilarious. But a little sad too. And quite frankly rather concerning.
    David Trimble was the Unionist Chief Negotiator of the Good Friday Agreement and he supports the deal, so this claim that Northern Ireland is being surrendered is just bullshit. And it is dangerous bullshit that is deliberately fanning the fires of Northern Ireland for party politics.
    Is David Trimble approving the deal thereby invalidating the idea that the deal is throwing NI under a bus the same as Jeremy Corbyn spending time with some Jews thus invalidating his anti-semitism?
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,927
    A celebrity endorsement from Trump to a British audience is likely to be about as effective as Hannibal Lecter promoting liver.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    nico67 said: "Brilliant tweet by Corbyn in response to Trumps comments."

Corbyn tweeted "it was Trump who said in June the NHS is “on the table”. "

He knows very well that Trump did not know what the fuck he was talking about and May instantly corrected him (she was standing by his side if I recall correctly).
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    Gabs2 said:

kle4 said:

Gabs2 said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

The idea that anyone puts their preference for EU policy above and beyond support for the equality of their fellow citizens is very upsetting to me.
    Well, it's more complicated than that, because membership of the EU preserves the rights and equalities of EU citizens who have settled here. How are you supposed to choose?
  • Options
    nunu2nunu2 Posts: 1,453

Your having a Laffer

Tell that to the homeless

A good kick in the Arse is the kind of gratitude yo were expecting i assume

Typical Friday night for TSE......
  • Options

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

nico67 said:

NHS 36-34
    Economy 44-20
    Defence 48-16
    Jobs 38-30
    Foreign Pol 41-18
    Trade 45 -2
    Welfare 30-37

And if those figures are accurate he is not going to improve on his seats and the question is how many he will lose
    But realistically he can’t make up any of the others. If he has anything that is his least weak suit, therefore, it is the NHS.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    TOPPING said:

Gabs2 said:

kinabalu said:

Gabs2 said:

It is amazing that the only people on here calling the Boris deal a surrender are the ones that are ardent Remainers that won't accept the vote. As far as I can tell the post-transition state it delivers is everything the right wants.

The 'surrender' is of Northern Ireland - it's staying in the EU. Exactly as Merkel supposedly 'demanded' in that 'scandalous' phone call. You know, the one that people got dutifully all worked up about when Cummings briefed it? Yet now it's come to pass it's not a scandal at all. It's cool. Because Boris says it is. Hilarious. But a little sad too. And quite frankly rather concerning.
    David Trimble was the Unionist Chief Negotiator of the Good Friday Agreement and he supports the deal, so this claim that Northern Ireland is being surrendered is just bullshit. And it is dangerous bullshit that is deliberately fanning the fires of Northern Ireland for party politics.
    Is David Trimble approving the deal thereby invalidating the idea that the deal is throwing NI under a bus the same as Jeremy Corbyn spending time with some Jews thus invalidating his anti-semitism?
    No, not at all. I can't even follow the logic for why those things would be the same. Perhaps if the Chief Rabbi of the UK supported Corbyn, it might be comparable. But he doesn't so it isn't.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

He knows very well that Trump did not know what the fuck he was talking about and May instantly corrected him (she was standing by hos side if I recall correctly).

If I was Labour I’d throw diplomacy out of the window , play that clip and then show the pally pics of Bozo and Trump .

• Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818

malcolmg said:

nico67 said:

Did you catch the planted story on the 'labour run' Welsh NHS in the Mail? The 2k a day management consultant cost cutter guy?

I thought the photos of him sunning himself outside his luxury apartment in Marbella were a particularly nice touch.
  • Options

Roger said:

you do maths too!!!
    As the joke used to go in my Uni biology is really chemistry, chemistry is really physics, physics is really maths, and maths is really hard.
    And s lot of engineers can’t pass their part 1 maths and get thrown out.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

nico67 said:

NHS 36-34
    Economy 44-20
    Defence 48-16
    Jobs 38-30
    Foreign Pol 41-18
    Trade 45 -2
    Welfare 30-37

I see that Climate Crisis doesn't feature in that list...
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,212
    edited October 2019
    Roger said:

A celebrity endorsement from Trump to a British audience is likely to be about as effective as Hannibal Lecter promoting liver.

Trump backed Farage and criticised the Boris trade deal as potentially restricting US UK trade which could reassure swing voters thinking of voting Tory that the NHS will not be on the table after Labour attacks on that today.

He also attacked Corbyn and was positive about Boris personally but the most anti Trump voters will already be voting Labour or LD anyway not Tory, the polling shows Leavers are much more pro Trump than Remainers
  • Options
    Gabs2 said:

TOPPING said:

Gabs2 said:

kinabalu said:

Gabs2 said:

No, not at all. I can't even follow the logic for why those things would be the same. Perhaps if the Chief Rabbi of the UK supported Corbyn, it might be comparable. But he doesn't so it isn't.
    You are saying that because one Unionist has no problem with the deal that invalidates the many, many Unionists who have a very big problem with it.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,205

Your having a Laffer

Tell that to the homeless

A good kick in the Arse is the kind of gratitude yo were expecting i assume

Making the rich poorer doesn't help poor.
    It does if you give the poor some of the rich's money. That is literally the way that redistributive taxation works, and is highly effective at reducing inequality.
  • Options
    Time_to_LeaveTime_to_Leave Posts: 2,547
    edited October 2019
    The public already known Boris gets on with Trump. It’s priced in.

The public expects the US to try and do us over in a trade deal.

At present, a lot of people clearly don’t care if Trump likes Boris (they may think it’s useful) and believe Boris will defend us in a trade deal.

To make headway, Labour needs to convince people that Boris won’t defend the U.K. position. All Boris has to do is maintain the current view of his declared voters, and if he needs it he has a chance to grandstand with Trump at the NATO summit in December.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

nico67 said:

NHS 36-34
    Economy 44-20
    Defence 48-16
    Jobs 38-30
    Foreign Pol 41-18
    Trade 45 -2
    Welfare 30-37

But realistically he can’t make up any of the others. If he has anything that is his least weak suit, therefore, it is the NHS.
    It is all very desperate but I agree with your point
  • Options

Gabs2 said:

kle4 said:

Gabs2 said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

Well, it's more complicated than that, because membership of the EU preserves the rights and equalities of EU citizens who have settled here. How are you supposed to choose?
    The Withdrawal Agreement protects those rights. And Boris Johnson, for all his faults, called for that to be done unilaterally very early.
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    nico67 said:

Are the people who will decide the election on twitter?
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,556
    HYUFD said:

He also attacked Corbyn and was positive about Boris personally but the most anti Trump voters will already be voting Labour or LD anyway not Tory, the polling shows Leavers are much more pro Trump than Remainers

Anyone pro Trump needs their head examined.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    nichomar said:

kle4 said:

Gabs2 said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

That’s rubbish if you are thinking of voting lib dem it’s because you either believe in them or you think the two alternatives are equally evil. No way would I vote for either corbyn or Johnson both being the worst UK politics have ever put before the people.
    That depends on the reason for thinking of voting LD (which, by the way, includes me). If the primary reason is remainery then it's simply the case that the Labour remainer candidate is, in many places, a better bet than a LD no hoper. People would easily justify it as not voting for Corbyn or Johnson but for local candidate X, who is a decent sort. I see no reason to disbelieve the good doctor in thinking Corbyn's party could get a lot of LD tactical votes.

People will vote tactically, they always do, it's a question of how many will do so this time.

It's not a matter of denigrating the LDs, I think Labour figures often take them for granted and treat them like automatic lackeys when they are, of course, their own party with their own views. But if it is about remain then Labour will get tacticals. If it is not about remain, then Leave via the Tories will win. It's up to LDs to decide.
  • Options
    nico67 said:

Stocky said:

He knows very well that Trump did not know what the fuck he was talking about and May instantly corrected him (she was standing by hos side if I recall correctly).

If I was Labour I’d throw diplomacy out of the window , play that clip and then show the pally pics of Bozo and Trump .

Because that video showing Corbyn working with and supporting actual mass murderers made such a difference for Theresa May in 2017...
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Big_G said: "So only on welfare does he beat Boris"

If asked "would Corbyn be stronger on welfare" many respondents say "yes"

If asked "do you think more should be spent on welfare benefits" then same folk may say "No".
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Roger said:

Trump backed Farage and criticised the Boris trade deal as potentially restricting US UK trade which could reassure swing voters thinking of voting Tory that the NHS will not be on the table after Labour attacks on that today.

More fool them
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Gabs2 said:

TOPPING said:

Gabs2 said:

kinabalu said:

Gabs2 said:

You are saying that because one Unionist has no problem with the deal that invalidates the many, many Unionists who have a very big problem with it.
    He is not "one unionist". He was the leader of the unionist side in the most decisive political event in the last 40 years of Northern Irish history.
  • Options

Gabs2 said:

kle4 said:

Gabs2 said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

Also what about Windrush? Surely by Gabs2's logic anyone who votes Tory is also putting their preferences above the equality of their fellow citizens.
  • Options
    ByronicByronic Posts: 3,578
    nico67 said:

I've been out lunching and working, so I had to catch up with the news by reading the comments here. And the gist of them is: today was a brilliant day for Labour, Corbyn is up and running, Tories are in trouble already.

But then I looked at the two polls today, one of them showing the Tories with a 15 point lead, and the other showing Tories with a 17 point lead.

How can that possibly be a good day for Labour?! Or am I missing something?
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

Statements like “trickle down economics works. The plebs should be grateful” demonstrate why nobody likes that sort of conservative view. It’s said in jest, but you can see that part of it is believed.

That party is a useful vehicle for now on Brexit, but after that we’ll have to see whether it has been rehabilitated or not. I suspect not.

Is there any evidence for trickle down economics? Intuitively it seems blindingly obvious that 1,000 millionaires are going to circulate a lot more of £1bn than one billionaire is.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    Stocky said:

Foxy said:
    "Having arrived home, Mrs Foxy very impressed by Jezza's campaign launch. Normally she has a low opinion of him."

Any pictures of Mrs Foxy?

Perhaps she is one of the adoring women pictured behind Jo Swinson, frantically waving a gigantic orange placard saying "Jo Swinson", as shown on page 3 of the article "Jo Swinson, The Prime Minister We Deserve" in my just-received glossy LibDem pamphlet entitled "Jo Swinson, Britain's Next Prime Minister".
  • Options

Gabs2 said:

kle4 said:

Gabs2 said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

Also what about Windrush? Surely by Gabs2's logic anyone who votes Tory is also putting their preferences above the equality of their fellow citizens.
    Windrush was why I didn't vote for Theresa May in 2017.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,927

Roger said:

Apparently it's £70 billion a year.

(And as Richard said it should be 'A 70 Billion STOP Brexit Bonus'!!)
  • Options
    Byronic said:

nico67 said:

I've been out lunching and working, so I had to catch up with the news by reading the comments here. And the gist of them is: today was a brilliant day for Labour, Corbyn is up and running, Tories are in trouble already.

But then I looked at the two polls today, one of them showing the Tories with a 15 point lead, and the other showing Tories with a 17 point lead.

I would assume good days for Corbyn will take a few days to filter through to any polling. Its not like Labour immediately jumped 10 points once the campaign started last time.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

nico67 said:

I think Labour are in trouble regardless of the good campaign launch . But Trump backing Johnson isn’t good for him .

• Options
    Ishmael_Z said: "Is there any evidence for trickle down economics? "

Depends whether you are talking about relative or absolute poverty.

Capitalism is reducing absolute poverty but increasing relative poverty.

Many think this isn`t a problem but I and many other disagree.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Roger said:

The Guardian quoted an old poll that had 19% UK [GB?] who were pro-Trump and 2/3rds anti-Trump - but in the weird way that Republican attitudes on Russia have changed since their leader was so pally with Putin, it's possible that this could boost support for Trump in the UK along the existing polarisation, rather than move people from one side to the other.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Roger said:

The Guardian quoted an old poll that had 19% UK [GB?] who were pro-Trump and 2/3rds anti-Trump - but in the weird way that Republican attitudes on Russia have changed since their leader was so pally with Putin, it's possible that this could boost support for Trump in the UK along the existing polarisation, rather than move people from one side to the other.
    Brexit Party voters give Trump a net positive rating, so it could boost Boris with them
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

nico67 said:

Stocky said:

Because that video showing Corbyn working with and supporting actual mass murderers made such a difference for Theresa May in 2017...
    Doesn't mean playing up the Trump angle won't be more effective. Particularly since it works in the national NHS religion angle too.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    Byronic said:

nico67 said:

It's an excellent day for Labour. Last election, Corbyn reduced the Tory lead by seventeen points by polling day!
  • Options
    Gabs2 said:

Gabs2 said:

kle4 said:

Gabs2 said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

The Withdrawal Agreement protects those rights. And Boris Johnson, for all his faults, called for that to be done unilaterally very early.
    Yes, that's what they say, but that's not been the experience of EU citizens interacting with the Home Office. At the beginning of this week there was a statutory instrument passed that restricted the rights of EU/EEA/Swiss/Turkish citizens from owning and running businesses (including self-employment) in the UK after Exit Day.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Gabs2 said:

TOPPING said:

Gabs2 said:

TOPPING said:

Gabs2 said:

kinabalu said:

Gabs2 said:

He is not "one unionist". He was the leader of the unionist side in the most decisive political event in the last 40 years of Northern Irish history.
    So what? Tell Arlene and the others that they should agree with him.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Roger said:

£70 billion a year every year for ever? Or just £70bn in one year and that's it?

The first figure is insane: it means Brexit is as bad as a horrible war without end.

The second stat is meaningless as no one can be that precise, and economics doesn't work like that.

Who makes up these ridiculous figures?
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said: "Is there any evidence for trickle down economics? "

Of course, the philosopher Robert Nozick argues that it is morally wrong for a government to confiscate wealth that is legally acquired in order to further the government`s own aim to redistribute wealth.
  • Options
    Gabs2 said:

Gabs2 said:

kle4 said:

Gabs2 said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

Ultimately you have to vote Labour or Tory in my view, everything else is just a waste of time - in England at least. Labour has a far better record on equality and anti racism overall, even if there have been some terrible examples of anti Semitism linked to party members (although I once had a Jewish woman swear blind to me that it was all an exaggeration designed to smear Corbyn - I disagreed but felt a bit stupid as a non-Jew trying to convince her otherwise).
  • Options
    Roger said:

Roger said:

£70 billion per year by 2029, I believe there would be a compounding effect of diminished growth, so probably only a few tens of billions of quid per year initially.
  • Options
    Gabs2 said:

Gabs2 said:

kle4 said:

Gabs2 said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

Do you have a time machine, the Windrush scandal happened in 2018.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

nico67 said:

Stocky said:

Doesn't mean playing up the Trump angle won't be more effective. Particularly since it works in the national NHS religion angle too.
    It won't be as Boris can reply Trump said his Deal with the EU would make a US UK trade deal more difficult, thus reassuring voters the NHS is not on the table.

Indeed the main headline on the BBC now is 'Trump criticises Johnson's Brexit Deal'
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news
  • Options
    Gabs2 said:

Gabs2 said:

kle4 said:

Gabs2 said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

And you don't think there will be a repeat with EU citizens????
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    isam said: "‘Fuck all data’?"

Yeah, but I still laid Labour in that constituency.
  • Options

Gabs2 said:

kle4 said:

Gabs2 said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

That's precisely the precedent that has so many EU citizens worried.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Is there any evidence for trickle down economics? Intuitively it seems blindingly obvious that 1,000 millionaires are going to circulate a lot more of £1bn than one billionaire is.
    It’s not the logic that’s offensive (money has to circulate to make an economy work unless you go full communist) it’s the implication that those with money are “worth” more. The language “trickle down” suggests they are doing us a favour letting us have crumbs from the table.
  • Options
    rpjs said:

Byronic said:

nico67 said:

It's an excellent day for Labour. Last election, Corbyn reduced the Tory lead by seventeen points by polling day!
    No a day riven by class war and hatred from Labour which will reassure his leftwing fans but turn off swing voters and turn off centrist diehard Remainers who will go LD
  • Options
    rpjs said:

Byronic said:

nico67 said:

I don't think they will do that this time, but if they did can you imagine how terrified the Tories would be of ever fighting another election?
  • Options
    edited October 2019

Gabs2 said:

Gabs2 said:

kle4 said:

Gabs2 said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

nored.
    Ultimately you have to vote Labour or Tory in my view, everything else is just a waste of time - in England at least. Labour has a far better record on equality and anti racism overall, even if there have been some terrible examples of anti Semitism linked to party members (although I once had a Jewish woman swear blind to me that it was all an exaggeration designed to smear Corbyn - I disagreed but felt a bit stupid as a non-Jew trying to convince her otherwise).
    The current leadership certainly do not have a better record on it. In the Tories there was a sense of shame over Windrush. There were apologies and resignations. Labour just keeps at the Anti-Semitism and the leader himself has personally indulged in it. His own office intervenes in disciplinary cases to protect anti-Semites.

And can you imagine if Boris Johnson had attended a commemoration service for some white supremacist terrorist who had slaughtered a bunch of black people? His support would evaporate overnight.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

nico67 said:

The comments on the earlier threads were notably more pessimistic for Labour. I, for one, still think they're fucked.
  • Options
    rpjs said: "It's an excellent day for Labour. Last election, Corbyn reduced the Tory lead by seventeen points by polling day!"

No he didn`t. That was due to the Tories shooting themselves in the foot over social care.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    HYUFD said:

rpjs said:

Byronic said:

nico67 said:

No a day riven by class war and hatred from Labour which will reassure his leftwing fans but turn off swing voters and turn off centrist diehard Remainers who will go LD
    Don't ever change.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172

Ishmael_Z said:

It’s not the logic that’s offensive (money has to circulate to make an economy work unless you go full communist) it’s the implication that those with money are “worth” more. The language “trickle down” suggests they are doing us a favour letting us have crumbs from the table.
    Agreed.

And the other thing that is offensive is the "philanthropy". Nobody wants rich people's fucking philanthropy.

We just want them to pay their fair share of taxation.
  • Options

Gabs2 said:

kle4 said:

Gabs2 said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

Rightly so. I can think of nothing more scary than having my loved ones' fate in the hands of the Home Office.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Foxy said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

£70 billion per year by 2029, I believe there would be a compounding effect of diminished growth, so probably only a few tens of billions of quid per year initially.
    lol. £70bn per year by 2029 means £700bn a year total, which is a third of our entire economy.

In other words, Brexit is going to be significantly worse than the First World War.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,042
    edited October 2019
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:
    Boris not hiding behind the sofa unlike Mrs May. ;)
    He's scared of debating Jo Swinson.
    Well that's for the other parties to sort out with the broadcasters.

I would think it's likely they'll have an 6-way at some point with Boris, Jezza, Swinson, Nicola, Plaid and maybe Nigel?

Then there may be a 3-way with Boris, Jezza and Jo.

But who knows...
    Why would a party that got 12 seats get equal billing with two that got 570 odd between them?
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,460

I am a very genuine person as anyone who knows me will tell you

But Corbyn today went full on Venezeula today and is not fit to lead our Country

I'm sure you don't have a non genuine bone in your body ☺

But c'mon - "full on Venezuela" - that's extremely frothy.
  • Options

Gabs2 said:

Gabs2 said:

kle4 said:

Gabs2 said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

Well that’s a view, one that lab and con attempt to perpetuate in their buggies turn conspiracy but it depends where you live you have other options than to have to vote for the two worst ever leaders in control of the two old tired parties.
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

Agreed.

And the other thing that is offensive is the "philanthropy". Nobody wants rich people's fucking philanthropy.

We just want them to pay their fair share of taxation.
    You're kidding right? What about Cancer Research UK?
  • Options
    edited October 2019

Gabs2 said:

kle4 said:

Gabs2 said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

Rightly so. I can think of nothing more scary than having my loved ones' fate in the hands of the Home Office.
    Try taking your children to school past armed guards every day, or going to temple with them at the door, because there are so many violent killers that hate you because of your ancestry, which is what tens of thousands of Jews do.
This discussion has been closed.