Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » New PB / Polling Matters podcast. And they’re off! General Ele

1235»

Comments

• Options
    PolruanPolruan Posts: 2,083

kle4 said:

AndyJS said:

Streeter said:

Soldiers at Marble Arch station selling poppies and shouting ‘have you got your poppy yet sir?’ to passers by.

The slow but inexorable drift towards militarism over my lifetime continues.

I dislike this sort of thing. Let people make their own decisions without hectoring them.
    Quite right and well said. I used to wear a poppy every year. Now, I don’t. The insistence that one has to wear one has put me off. It can only be a few days before a TV presenter gets hauled over the coals for failing their duty.
    TV presenters already are if they dont.

It doesnt make this annual parade of woe is me society is going to help because if the poppies stuff any less an overreaction and an amusing one at that.
    I wear one for 11 days every year from 1st to 11th November, and have done so for decades.

I fail to see what all the fuss is about.
    Of course you do
    It’s the politicisation of something that doesn’t need to be politicised and never used to be.

Every year we have the same tedious debate all over again like clockwork. If I was competent enough to search for it quickly /if I could be arsed I’d dig out pb.com posts from early November 2018, early November 2017 and early November 2016 where we had exactly the same debate on here: white poppy/red poppy/no poppy/I hate Iraq/Blair was a c*nt/ I hate the military/Tories etc.

I’m not spending the rest of my life every November arguing about it. It’s a simple act of remembrance and a charity collection. Nothing more. And it’s being going on for more than a hundred years.

Those who want to fume about it should really find something better to do with their time.
    Yes, but the point is where the politicisation is coming from. It's not a case of lots of people railing against the whole poppy thing and saying they shouldn't be worn, but more an increase in aggressive criticism of those who don't observe it meticulously (newsreaders, sports presenters, even Strictly contestants ffs....). The comment which then comes round like clockwork is "why is there an increase in attempts to demonise non-poppy wearers?". It's pretty classic culture war territory: create an artificial dividing line, pile in on those the other side of the line and then accuse them of politicising an issue when they complain about that process.

Rather like the increasing militarisation, another American import that we could do without.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

In the context of the actual polling in the constituency it's not the daftest question to ask, but perhaps a larger font size would be reasonable... :smirk:
    That poll has more pushing than a maternity ward.
  • Options

They missed out "and if the Conservative candidate (bastard) was boiling your puppy,".....
    That's in the footnote written in white text.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited October 2019
    Barnesian said:

The latest two polls (Survation and YouGov) together make little difference to the EMA. A slight movement away from Labour.

Con 34.9% (-)
    Lab 24.4% (-0.2)
    LD 18.3% (+0.1)
    BXP 12.2 (+0.1)

Con 312 (+2)
    Lab 222(-2)
    LD 46 (-)

The next major event will be whether or not Farage decides to contest only a small number of seats.
  • Options
    Polruan said:

Yes, but the point is where the politicisation is coming from. It's not a case of lots of people railing against the whole poppy thing and saying they shouldn't be worn, but more an increase in aggressive criticism of those who don't observe it meticulously (newsreaders, sports presenters, even Strictly contestants ffs....). The comment which then comes round like clockwork is "why is there an increase in attempts to demonise non-poppy wearers?". It's pretty classic culture war territory: create an artificial dividing line, pile in on those the other side of the line and then accuse them of politicising an issue when they complain about that process.

Rather like the increasing militarisation, another American import that we could do without.

I've not seen one solitary post here demonising non-poppy wearers but I do see the opposite.

All I see is demonisation of those that do have poppies or "militarisation" when it is nothing of the sort. If you don't want one that is your choice.
  • Options
    Polruan said:

kle4 said:

AndyJS said:

Streeter said:

Soldiers at Marble Arch station selling poppies and shouting ‘have you got your poppy yet sir?’ to passers by.

The slow but inexorable drift towards militarism over my lifetime continues.

I dislike this sort of thing. Let people make their own decisions without hectoring them.
    Quite right and well said. I used to wear a poppy every year. Now, I don’t. The insistence that one has to wear one has put me off. It can only be a few days before a TV presenter gets hauled over the coals for failing their duty.
    TV presenters already are if they dont.

It doesnt make this annual parade of woe is me society is going to help because if the poppies stuff any less an overreaction and an amusing one at that.
    I wear one for 11 days every year from 1st to 11th November, and have done so for decades.

I fail to see what all the fuss is about.
    Of course you do
    It’s the politicisation of something that doesn’t need to be politicised and never used to be.

Every year we have the same tedious debate all over again like clockwork. If I was competent enough to search for it quickly /if I could be arsed I’d dig out pb.com posts from early November 2018, early November 2017 and early November 2016 where we had exactly the same debate on here: white poppy/red poppy/no poppy/I hate Iraq/Blair was a c*nt/ I hate the military/Tories etc.

I’m not spending the rest of my life every November arguing about it. It’s a simple act of remembrance and a charity collection. Nothing more. And it’s being going on for more than a hundred years.

Those who want to fume about it should really find something better to do with their time.

Where's the increasing militarisation ?
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,720
    edited October 2019
    AndyJS said: "The campaign has started."

And if the odds are to believed Labour will lose badly. If this proves correct, what are PBers` thoughts about the Next Labour Leader market? Seems to me that the potential candidates, with the possible exception of Starmer, lack credibility as potential leaders.

Further down the field Cooper is 20/1, but I guessing is hampered by the make-up of the Labour membership. It would be useful to know, if anyone has insight on this, what the hard left/soft left balance is in the membership, particularly after the raft of membership leavers that has been reported.

Further down the field still, Benn stands out to me as a potential leader - but I haven`t confidence to back him, even at 66/1.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    OT rant bemused sort of moan. Checking the posh papers for news finds any number of articles on the alleged decline of Bake Off. Is this the middle class Love Island?
  • Options

Polruan said:

I've not seen one solitary post here demonising non-poppy wearers but I do see the opposite.

All I see is demonisation of those that do have poppies or "militarisation" when it is nothing of the sort. If you don't want one that is your choice.
    The point wasn't 'on here' it was 'in the actual world'. I agree with you, I don't think many people here have criticised those who don't wear poppies or those who do. The debate is about a wider social/cultural change (or perhaps about whether it exists).
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,002

Kipling talked about a 'brutal and licentious soldiery', and that was how the Army, or at least the Other Ranks, were regarded 100 years ago.

The Duke of Wellington: "I don't know what effect these men will have on the enemy, but by God, they terrify me." - 200 years ago.

More recently, there was quite a stink when some of the SAS who went into the Iranian Embassy got ino a little bit of hot water for nicking the Rolex watches off the corpses of the terrorists.

The British Army: best legion of thieves in the world.
    If the full truth about Basra ever comes out we're all going to end up in The Hague. The Iraqis had little enough but we still robbed them blind.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

The latest two polls (Survation and YouGov) together make little difference to the EMA. A slight movement away from Labour.

Con 34.9% (-)
    Lab 24.4% (-0.2)
    LD 18.3% (+0.1)
    BXP 12.2 (+0.1)

Con 312 (+2)
    Lab 222(-2)
    LD 46 (-)

I don't know where those figures are coming from, but I simply do not believe that a 10.5% Tory-Lab lead will result in the Tories winning 5 fewer seats than they did in 2017!

Those polling figures are not far off 2015 besides the Lib Dems but with a bigger Tory lead over Labour, yet supposedly Tories will win 18 fewer than they did in 2015 while Labor will win 10 fewer than they did in 2015? That makes no sense!
  • Options

They missed out "and if the Conservative candidate (bastard) was boiling your puppy,".....
    "Headline vote intention figures from Survation's poll of NE Somerset residents have the Lib Dems at 28% (+20), in second place behind the Conservatives on 44% (-10). Labour were third on 14% (-20)"

Surely that would have been sufficient without the leading part of the questioN?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Barnesian said:

Con 34.9% (-)
    Lab 24.4% (-0.2)
    LD 18.3% (+0.1)
    BXP 12.2 (+0.1)

Con 312 (+2)
    Lab 222(-2)
    LD 46 (-)

We're in trouble if that's the result, either the Tories need 10 more or a few less.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,857

I quite agree that there have been cuts but that's not the same thing as austerity.

And the coalition didn't just ring fence certain areas of public spending they also increased spending in other areas - triple lock pensions, help-to-buy and International Aid as examples.

Likewise in the taxation system the increase in personal allowances, the introduction of pensioner bonds and the holding down of council tax and fuel duties are examples of non-austerity.

In the spirit of compromise I quite agree the word "austerity" is ludicrous in the context of what happened after 2010 - the spending cuts after 1945 were austerity.
  • Options
    Polruan said:

Polruan said:

The point wasn't 'on here' it was 'in the actual world'. I agree with you, I don't think many people here have criticised those who don't wear poppies or those who do. The debate is about a wider social/cultural change (or perhaps about whether it exists).
    I've never seen a non-poppy wearer get demonised 'in the actual world' either.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,994
    edited October 2019
    AndyJS said:

Barnesian said:

Con 34.9% (-)
    Lab 24.4% (-0.2)
    LD 18.3% (+0.1)
    BXP 12.2 (+0.1)

Con 312 (+2)
    Lab 222(-2)
    LD 46 (-)

The next major event will be whether or not Farage decides to contest only a small number of seats.
    And where the BXP vote goes where there is no BXP candidate. I'd like to see some polling on that.

I assume it is a mixture of ex-Tories who are unhappy with the Johnson deal, ex-Lab who are strong leavers or just pissed off and ex-UKIP voters.

My current guess is the current 12% BXP share splits 4% Tory, 4% Lab, and 4% UKIP/NV - so BXP absence is a wash with regard to Tory and Labour.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    edited October 2019
    Nigelb said:

In the context of the actual polling in the constituency it's not the daftest question to ask, but perhaps a larger font size would be reasonable... :smirk:
    Yesterday I thought the figure given for JRM was 44% in this survey from Survation.

https://www.markpack.org.uk/160164/north-east-somerset-constituency-poll/
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,987
    Mr. B, sorry for the slow reply, doing a spot of work.

That is a fair comment, but Ken Clarke is the eldest of a few dozen male MPs retiring, not the average of them.

It's useful to drill down into stats, but often the media decides what it wants the story to be (the same way gender-lopsided stories get portrayed as sexism/all or mostly about women if they get the rough deal, whereas for mostly male stories [homelessness, child custody, suicide etc] they don't get presented through that prism).

https://twitter.com/philipjcowley/status/1189693996076978176
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    AndyJS said:

Barnesian said:

Con 34.9% (-)
    Lab 24.4% (-0.2)
    LD 18.3% (+0.1)
    BXP 12.2 (+0.1)

Con 312 (+2)
    Lab 222(-2)
    LD 46 (-)

Hopefully he holds out as long as possible to make a decision.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704
    Brom said:

AndyJS said:

Barnesian said:

Con 34.9% (-)
    Lab 24.4% (-0.2)
    LD 18.3% (+0.1)
    BXP 12.2 (+0.1)

Con 312 (+2)
    Lab 222(-2)
    LD 46 (-)

Hopefully he holds out as long as possible to make a decision.
    He'll be under a lot of pressure from supporters and potential candidates to decide one way or the other though.
  • Options
    Could I advise some deep breaths with regards to polling. Tories in a 15 point lead - literally a couple of months ago we had LibDems then Brexit Party poll leads.

Polls that are this volatile are likely to continue to be this volatile. 2017 demonstrated that massive intra campaign swings can happen. We're looking at polls in 2019 showing massive pre-campaign swings and some people are choosing to forget very recent history.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

Polruan said:

Polruan said:

https://twitter.com/giantpoppywatch/status/1189526963188391938/photo/1

You have now.
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,255
    philiph said:

Nigelb said:

Yesterday I thought the figure given for JRM was 44% in this survey from Survation.
    44% is the CON figure with don't knows/refused/won't vote etc removed, the 38% quoted above is from the "tactical" voting question, but with DK etc not removed (which has the effect of making the lead look smaller...)
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,001

Polruan said:

Polruan said:

There were several years when, for whatever reason I didn't wear a poppy and I don't recall anything being said. And, somewhat to my disadvantage, I seem quite good at recalling bad events.
  • Options

Mr. B, sorry for the slow reply, doing a spot of work.

That is a fair comment, but Ken Clarke is the eldest of a few dozen male MPs retiring, not the average of them.

It's useful to drill down into stats, but often the media decides what it wants the story to be (the same way gender-lopsided stories get portrayed as sexism/all or mostly about women if they get the rough deal, whereas for mostly male stories [homelessness, child custody, suicide etc] they don't get presented through that prism).

https://twitter.com/philipjcowley/status/1189693996076978176

I suspect that the continual and higher intensity social media environment does burn out politicians quicker these days.

It would do them all good to keep off twatter but they're probably addicted to it.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    kamski said:

philiph said:

Nigelb said:

44% is the CON figure with don't knows/refused/won't vote etc removed, the 38% quoted above is from the "tactical" voting question, but with DK etc not removed (which has the effect of making the lead look smaller...)
    Comparing Apples with rotten Brussel Sprouts. Chicanery, trickery or lies?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,011
    edited October 2019

Barnesian said:

Con 34.9% (-)
    Lab 24.4% (-0.2)
    LD 18.3% (+0.1)
    BXP 12.2 (+0.1)

Con 312 (+2)
    Lab 222(-2)
    LD 46 (-)

I don't know where those figures are coming from, but I simply do not believe that a 10.5% Tory-Lab lead will result in the Tories winning 5 fewer seats than they did in 2017!

Those polling figures are not far off 2015 besides the Lib Dems but with a bigger Tory lead over Labour, yet supposedly Tories will win 18 fewer than they did in 2015 while Labor will win 10 fewer than they did in 2015? That makes no sense!
    Indeed, Electoral Calculus gives a Tory majority of 98 on the Barnesian figures so the seat totals look odd.

They assume huge Remain tactical voting, even for Corbyn Labour, I believe

https://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/cgi-bin/usercode.py?CON=35&LAB=24&LIB=18+&Brexit=12&Green=3&UKIP=1&TVCON=&TVLAB=&TVLIB=&TVBrexit=&TVGreen=&TVUKIP=&SCOTCON=&SCOTLAB=&SCOTLIB=&SCOTBrexit=&SCOTGreen=&SCOTUKIP=&SCOTNAT=&display=AllChanged&regorseat=(none)&boundary=2017base
  • Options

Barnesian said:

Con 34.9% (-)
    Lab 24.4% (-0.2)
    LD 18.3% (+0.1)
    BXP 12.2 (+0.1)

Con 312 (+2)
    Lab 222(-2)
    LD 46 (-)

Tories win 19 seats off Labour but lose seats to SNP and LDs.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    edited October 2019
    Happy Brexit day everyone!!

I hope you're all gearing up for the riot we were promised. When does it start? I've just got to finish hammering these nails into my baseball bat.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Polruan said:

Polruan said:

https://twitter.com/giantpoppywatch/status/1189526963188391938/photo/1

You have now.
    No I've not. If this is not 'in the actual world' then I definitely don't consider Twitter Trolls I've never heard of but proudly boast in their profiles that they are "banned from Facebook" to be 'in the actual world'.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,226
    Morning all. So it's 31st October and we have NOT left the European Union "come what may" as Boris Johnson unequivocally promised that we would. If Johnson had not got his election the focus would have been on this failure and on his Deal, which under prolonged scrutiny would have shed appeal, increasingly exposed as being essentially the May Deal amended to capitulate to the EU's demands over Northern Ireland. The next few months could have been a world of pain for the Cons. As it is - well we'll see, won't we. Will Blondie get what's coming to him? Or will he be rewarded for incompetence and duplicity? The people will decide.
  • Options
    Mr. Richard, yeah, and abuse isn't restricted to social media.

A less sensationalist media, hunting for scalps, splits, and headlines, that concentrated more on policies than personalities, would be better for politicians and for the country. But it would involve actually looking at policies.

Mr. Anorak, that's so Fallout 4. The cool kids are all using plasma cutters now.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,011
    Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

Con 34.9% (-)
    Lab 24.4% (-0.2)
    LD 18.3% (+0.1)
    BXP 12.2 (+0.1)

Con 312 (+2)
    Lab 222(-2)
    LD 46 (-)

The 4% swing from Labour to the Tories you have actually sees the Tories gain 38 Labour seats on UNS, not 19

http://www.electionpolling.co.uk/battleground/targets/conservative
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,999
    Some of that ‘not real world’ non-poppy abuse for Thompson

https://punditarena.com/football/oisinmcqueirns2758/peter-crouch-on-james-mcclean-abuse/
  • Options

Polruan said:

Polruan said:

There were several years when, for whatever reason I didn't wear a poppy and I don't recall anything being said. And, somewhat to my disadvantage, I seem quite good at recalling bad events.
    Ditto. I've often gone out in early November without a poppy and nobody has ever said anything to me. I don't particularly like wearing a poppy, not because I have an issue with them but because I tend to lose them so many years I've donated to the legion box but not taken the poppy itself and not worn it - nobody has EVER said anything to me.

Makes all this hoohaa on the internet seem to me just one giant internet bubble completely divorced from the real world.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Barnesian said:

AndyJS said:

Barnesian said:

Con 34.9% (-)
    Lab 24.4% (-0.2)
    LD 18.3% (+0.1)
    BXP 12.2 (+0.1)

Con 312 (+2)
    Lab 222(-2)
    LD 46 (-)

And where the BXP vote goes where there is no BXP candidate. I'd like to see some polling on that.

I assume it is a mixture of ex-Tories who are unhappy with the Johnson deal, ex-Lab who are strong leavers or just pissed off and ex-UKIP voters.

My current guess is the current 12% BXP share splits 4% Tory, 4% Lab, and 4% UKIP/NV - so BXP absence is a wash with regard to Tory and Labour.
    I think the remaining split would be slightly more favourable to the Tories than that. Something like 4 Tory, 2 Lab, 6 Won't vote.
  • Options

Some of that ‘not real world’ non-poppy abuse for Thompson

https://punditarena.com/football/oisinmcqueirns2758/peter-crouch-on-james-mcclean-abuse/

Football terraces are a bit more real life but not exactly real world and well known for abuse for any excuse. If it wasn't that it would be something else.
  • Options

Polruan said:

Polruan said:

Ditto. I've often gone out in early November without a poppy and nobody has ever said anything to me. I don't particularly like wearing a poppy, not because I have an issue with them but because I tend to lose them so many years I've donated to the legion box but not taken the poppy itself and not worn it - nobody has EVER said anything to me.

Makes all this hoohaa on the internet seem to me just one giant internet bubble completely divorced from the real world.
    I've bought a little metal one this year; it's got a permanent pin so it'll be on one coat; probably beside the 'I've recovered from prostate cancer' pin.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,857
    kinabalu said:

Morning all. So it's 31st October and we have NOT left the European Union "come what may" as Boris Johnson unequivocally promised that we would. If Johnson had not got his election the focus would have been on this failure and on his Deal, which under prolonged scrutiny would have shed appeal, increasingly exposed as being essentially the May Deal amended to capitulate to the EU's demands over Northern Ireland. The next few months could have been a world of pain for the Cons. As it is - well we'll see, won't we. Will Blondie get what's coming to him? Or will he be rewarded for incompetence and duplicity? The people will decide.

Perversely, the paralysis seemed to be helping Johnson as the frustration was being directed at Parliament rather than at him. I agree about the new WA - for all his triumphalism he basically gave in to the EU on the areas they wanted which explains why they were so willing to re-negotiate. Barnier had made it clear there would be no significant concessions from the EU side so May's WA wouldn't be re-negotiated. He hadn't expected the new British PM to be so much more accommodating or desperate (delete as appropriate).

I presume the Johnson plan, if he wins a healthy majority, will be to ram through any old PD and trade arrangement with the EU during 2020 always with the threat of exiting to WTO rules if a trade deal can't be finalised by the end of transition.
  • Options
    King Cole, yeah, I got a metal pin last year. I've only lost a poppy once but the metal one is more convenient.
  • Options
    stodge said:

kinabalu said:

Perversely, the paralysis seemed to be helping Johnson as the frustration was being directed at Parliament rather than at him. I agree about the new WA - for all his triumphalism he basically gave in to the EU on the areas they wanted which explains why they were so willing to re-negotiate. Barnier had made it clear there would be no significant concessions from the EU side so May's WA wouldn't be re-negotiated. He hadn't expected the new British PM to be so much more accommodating or desperate (delete as appropriate).

I presume the Johnson plan, if he wins a healthy majority, will be to ram through any old PD and trade arrangement with the EU during 2020 always with the threat of exiting to WTO rules if a trade deal can't be finalised by the end of transition.
    A week, Mr S is a long time in politics. Who knows what is going to be said, and by whom!
  • Options
    NEW FRED!!!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

Con 34.9% (-)
    Lab 24.4% (-0.2)
    LD 18.3% (+0.1)
    BXP 12.2 (+0.1)

Con 312 (+2)
    Lab 222(-2)
    LD 46 (-)

The 4% swing from Labour to the Tories you have actually sees the Tories gain 38 Labour seats on UNS, not 19

http://www.electionpolling.co.uk/battleground/targets/conservative
    I use 80% UNS and 20% multiplicative. UNS has the problem that it is uniform. It adds the same share to every constituency. The multiplicative multiplies the share recognising that the absolute increase in share is likely to be higher where the original share is higher. So that's one difference. There are also tactical voting differences (reduces Tory gains from Labour by 8 seats) and allocation of the green share. It's matching quite well with the individual constituency polls.

Electoral calculus is quite crude.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Barnesian said:

AndyJS said:

Barnesian said:

Con 34.9% (-)
    Lab 24.4% (-0.2)
    LD 18.3% (+0.1)
    BXP 12.2 (+0.1)

Con 312 (+2)
    Lab 222(-2)
    LD 46 (-)

I think the remaining split would be slightly more favourable to the Tories than that. Something like 4 Tory, 2 Lab, 6 Won't vote.
    Could be. We need data! It will vary depending on the type of constituency of course. If it is a Labour Leave seat, there may be more ex Labour in the BXP box.
This discussion has been closed.