Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » New PB / Polling Matters podcast. And they’re off! General Ele

SystemSystem Posts: 11,685
edited October 2019 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » New PB / Polling Matters podcast. And they’re off! General Election 2019 kicks off.

Keiran Pedley and Leo Barasi look at the numbers as a December 12th election is announced. Who is best placed? What is the path to victory for each party and what should we look out for in the coming weeks?

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,307
    Oh first?
  • Options
    67% of current Labour voters told Survation tin tomorrow's poll they would vote for another party to stop the Conservatives from winning vs only 20% who said they would not. Similarly, 68% of current Lib Dem voters would also vote tactically to stop the Conservatives vs 29% who said they would not.

When the question is posed in terms of “stopping the Labour party from winning” while 69% of Conservative party voters in tomorrow's poll would vote for another party, most 2017 seats in England and Wales that were marginal in 2017 were of course Conservative / Labour contests.

A lower amount (39%) of current Lib Dem voters would vote for another party if it stopped Labour from winning (46% would not - the "would" is a lower figure than the 68% that would vote differently to stop a Conservative win.

That said, 80% of Brexit Party voters said they would vote tactically to stop a Labour win, and squeezing the Brexit Party vote, which looks soft in this scenario, will be an important underpinning of the quest to secure an overall majority.

All these factors will play out differently depending on geography, and local factors providing the potential for non uniform swings in regions and small geographies with different characteristics.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,780
    edited October 2019
    New podcast? Splendid
    Watch that LD number plummet!

(Actually I do think they'll double their vote from last time - they did surprisingly poorly - but they'll do what they need to do stop the Tories. Because stopping Brexit requires it).
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    kle4 said:

New podcast? Splendid

Watch that LD number plummet!

(Actually I do think they'll double their vote from last time - they did surprisingly poorly).
    But the squeeze is on.....
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,472
    edited October 2019
    Oh phew, I've not violated an embargo.
  • Options
    ByronicByronic Posts: 3,578
    Is this the first national VI poll since it became obvious we weren't Brexiting on Halloween?

If so, I think the Tories will be mildly encouraged. No damage incurred.
  • Options
    If i was the tories i would be somewhat concerned with only an 8% lead.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

Is this the first national VI poll since it became obvious we weren't Brexiting on Halloween?

If so, I think the Tories will be mildly encouraged. No damage incurred.
    Boris getting a deal that had better PR than Mays has certainly helped. If he had not got a deal, i think he would be in a lot more trouble.
  • Options

As Sir John Curtice (pbuh) told me, watch the share not the lead.

Both the Blue Meanies and Labour should be worried that they are on 34% and 26% respectively.

He's going to be right, we're going to see an awful lot of non Con/Lab MPs elected in December.
  • Options
    ByronicByronic Posts: 3,578

Why?? Survation is one of the worst pollsters for the Tories (IIRC), we have just come through the broken do-or-die pledge, and the Tories maintain their lead?

This is pleasing for Boris, if I read it right.
  • Options
    edited October 2019

Eh, it was one where they only had an 8% lead before. While I'm sure they'd like all the polls to match the ones with larger leads, if 8% is on the lower end of their leads I'm sure they'll be happy. So long as it actually manifests of course.

But that BXP and LD share is pretty high for both Lab and Con to be very happy.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,311
    edited October 2019

Oh phew, I've not violated an embargo.

I read it in my online copy hence why I posted the numbers earlier

But there is a lot in the individual questions that should worry labour
  • Options
    Byronic said:

Why?? Survation is one of the worst pollsters for the Tories (IIRC), we have just come through the broken do-or-die pledge, and the Tories maintain their lead?

Worst pollsters for the Tories = Most accurate at the last GE.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502

That’s before the BP only stand in a handful of seats . Things could look a lot different next week .

Surely the pollsters will have to remove them from the main question . Or at least have an additional question which asks what would people choose if there’s no BP candidate.
  • Options

Byronic said:

The detailed questions are fascinating and very good for Boris
  • Options
    RH1992RH1992 Posts: 788

I would be too. Labour are starting from roughly the same position as 2017 at around 25%, but the Tories in 2017 were averaging 40-42%. Granted, the Tories are dampened by the Brexit Party to a degree so we'll see if a squeeze happens on that side too.
  • Options
    nico67 said:

That’s before the BP only stand in a handful of seats . Things could look a lot different next week .

Surely the pollsters will have to remove them from the main question . Or at least have an additional question which asks what would people choose if there’s no BP candidate.
    That is far from confirmed. Farage is no fan of the tories.
  • Options

Both the Blue Meanies and Labour should be worried that they are on 34% and 26% respectively.

He's going to be right, we're going to see an awful lot of non Con/Lab MPs elected in December.
    1923 was the last time my area elected a non Tory. Purely for variety it might be nice for the next December election to see things change, but I doubt it.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,658
    nico67 said:

Looking around my local seats BXP candidates seem to be selected for most. 14 days though to see if they all get nomination forms signed.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited October 2019

Byronic said:

The worst one for labour is their brexit policy. Basically nobody thinks they have a good one and ultimately despite other issues brexit has to be sorted one way or another.
  • Options
    Totally off topic...apparently there are 500,000 meth addicts in California. How can you have a functioning society when so many people are addicted to those kind of drugs.
  • Options

Byronic said:

The worst one for labour is their brexit policy. Basically nobody thinks they have a good one and ultimately despite other issues brexit has to be sorted one way or another.
    It's fine. LDs will attack it, but local candidates will be explicit that they are Remainers through and through, and we'll see the 'I'm not sure about Corbyn/Labour policy, but my MP/candidate is trustworthy on this'.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Byronic said:

It's fine. LDs will attack it, but local candidates will be explicit that they are Remainers through and through, and we'll see the 'I'm not sure about Corbyn/Labour policy, but my MP/candidate is trustworthy on this'.
    And for leave voters?
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

That's my view too. God alone knows how a more divided House of Commons is meant to help getting Brexit done. Not that Brexit will be done anytime soon anyway.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244
    When was the last time Yougov did that fancy massive unorthodox marginal seat poll that got the 2017 election bang on right?
  • Options
    glw said:

That's my view too. God alone knows how a more divided House of Commons is meant to help getting Brexit done. Not that Brexit will be done anytime soon anyway.
    Another GE in 2020....
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    The Tories need 37+ to get a majority. It means squeezing the brexit party down to mid single figures. It's definitely possible on the basis of that poll.
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489
    Im not shore how legit these tactical question are. 68% of Lib Dem would vote tactically to stop Con and 39% would vote tactical to stop Lab so that 107% who are the 7 % who would vote tactically to stop both Con and Lab, planing on voting for THE BREXIT PARTY???
  • Options
    Gabs2Gabs2 Posts: 1,268
    68% of Lib Dems would vote tactically to stop the Tories getting in and 39% would do so to stop Labour. So at least 7% would vote tactically to stop either getting in. Who are they thinking of tactically voting for? The Brexit Party? The Greens?
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,339

67% of current Labour voters told Survation tin tomorrow's poll they would vote for another party to stop the Conservatives from winning vs only 20% who said they would not. Similarly, 68% of current Lib Dem voters would also vote tactically to stop the Conservatives vs 29% who said they would not.

When the question is posed in terms of “stopping the Labour party from winning” while 69% of Conservative party voters in tomorrow's poll would vote for another party, most 2017 seats in England and Wales that were marginal in 2017 were of course Conservative / Labour contests.

A lower amount (39%) of current Lib Dem voters would vote for another party if it stopped Labour from winning (46% would not - the "would" is a lower figure than the 68% that would vote differently to stop a Conservative win.

That said, 80% of Brexit Party voters said they would vote tactically to stop a Labour win, and squeezing the Brexit Party vote, which looks soft in this scenario, will be an important underpinning of the quest to secure an overall majority.

All these factors will play out differently depending on geography, and local factors providing the potential for non uniform swings in regions and small geographies with different characteristics.

That's a LOT of tactical voting willingness. LibDem voters markedly more pro-Labour than pro-Tory. And with the gradual strengthening of the duopoly, I'd feel a bit more comfortable as either a Labour or Tory MP. With respect to Curtice (pbuh, indeed) early in an election I look at the trend, not the share.

The unpopularity of all party leaders shown on the last thread is striking. We know that the LibDems are featuring Swinson heavily anyway; Labour featuring Corbyn less, and Johnson didn't feature on the first Tory leaflet here at all.
  • Options

nico67 said:

I find it hard to believe that Farage is going to do anything that benefits anyone other than himself.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Byronic said:

And for leave voters?
    They'll cling to the official policy as reason they can stick with their traditional labour vote and not throw in with Boris
  • Options
    Gabs2 said:

68% of Lib Dems would vote tactically to stop the Tories getting in and 39% would do so to stop Labour. So at least 7% would vote tactically to stop either getting in. Who are they thinking of tactically voting for? The Brexit Party? The Greens?

Surely it just depends on what constituency they are in. SNP, PC are also options.
  • Options
    moonshine said:

When was the last time Yougov did that fancy massive unorthodox marginal seat poll that got the 2017 election bang on right?

June 2017.

YouGov have said that the MRP only works properly when they know all of the parties standing/the candidates in every constituency.
  • Options
    glw said:

nico67 said:

I find it hard to believe that Farage is going to do anything that benefits anyone other than himself.
    I think someone's trying to bounce BXP into a small scale strategy. But even if Farage were not so ego driven, it's a lot of candidates who would need to stand down, he might not be able to persuade the party. He might stick to his guns rather than see candidates say they'll stand as indys or something.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,930
    Election fever hitting my Facebook feed

• Options
    Gabs2Gabs2 Posts: 1,268
    Foxy said:

Gabs2 said:

Surely it just depends on what constituency they are in. SNP, PC are also options.
    Ah the nationalists make more sense. Still, it is hard to imagine a Lib Dem that despises Labour and the Tories but is fine with the SNP or Plaid.
  • Options
    glw said:

nico67 said:

Nige has had seven failed shots at gaining a Westminster seat and counting...
  • Options
    SunnyJimSunnyJim Posts: 1,106
    edited October 2019
    If 80% of TBP voters would vote tactically to stop Labour then there is clearly a sizeable portion of their 12% up for grabs if they only field candidates in a limited number of seats.

• Options

That's a LOT of tactical voting willingness. LibDem voters markedly more pro-Labour than pro-Tory. And with the gradual strengthening of the duopoly, I'd feel a bit more comfortable as either a Labour or Tory MP. With respect to Curtice (pbuh, indeed) early in an election I look at the trend, not the share.

The unpopularity of all party leaders shown on the last thread is striking. We know that the LibDems are featuring Swinson heavily anyway; Labour featuring Corbyn less, and Johnson didn't feature on the first Tory leaflet here at all.
    That as many Lab voters are willing to vote tactically as LD is a hopeful sign. That should bring a lot more LD target seats into prospects across Shire England.
  • Options

moonshine said:

June 2017.

YouGov have said that the MRP only works properly when they know all of the parties standing/the candidates in every constituency.
    MRP = FMUMSP ?
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,822
    edited October 2019

If that was Opinium or YouGov it would be somewhat concerning but for Survation it's not bad for Con.

Though it goes without saying its very, very early days with this general election.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

That as many Lab voters are willing to vote tactically as LD is a hopeful sign. That should bring a lot more LD target seats into prospects across Shire England.
    Requires labour voters to accept they are not the best placed despite being second in many of them though. It makes sense, but is a harder sell.
  • Options
    moonshine said:

moonshine said:

June 2017.

MRP = FMUMSP ?
    Oui.
  • Options
    isam said:

If I were you, I would get some new friends...
  • Options

glw said:

nico67 said:

Nige has had seven failed shots at gaining a Westminster seat and counting...
    Still a way to go before the takes the record from Lord Sutch then.
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489
    If we do end up with a Lib dem and Labour coalition will there be another referendum?
  • Options

moonshine said:

moonshine said:

June 2017.

MRP = FMUMSP ?
    Oui.
    Polling people in December should be a good laugh for the pollsters.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,011
    42% of voters would have been more likely to vote Labour without Corbyn as leader, only 18% less likely.

51% would fear a Corbyn premiership, only 23% feel joy.

44% blame Parliament for us still being in the EU, 32% blame Boris, 11% blame the EU.

52% oppose a 2nd indyref in Scotland, only 27% for.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7632443/Boris-Johnson-trusted-Jeremy-Corbyn-new-poll-voters-reveals.html
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,955

Totally off topic...apparently there are 500,000 meth addicts in California. How can you have a functioning society when so many people are addicted to those kind of drugs.

The entire third reich was knocking back Pervitin (more or less the same thing) throughout most of WWII. Plenty of people use speed as a productivity aid, as it makes mind numbingly repetitive tasks enjoyable. I've known brickies, shelf stackers and van drivers who've used it on the job... Not condoning it, just saying it's rife, particularly with a lot of blue collar / manual work.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Survation with Flavible:

Con 338
    Lab 188
    LD 53
    SNP 48
    PC 4
    Grn 1

https://flavible.co.uk/userprediction/gb/34/26/19/12/1/3.1/0.5/0.7
  • Options
    BigRich said:

If we do end up with a Lib dem and Labour coalition will there be another referendum?

Yes, that is both parties policy.

I wouldn't expect coalition though, just a minority government, with cross party support on some issues, at least while Jezza is leader.
  • Options
    Preferred PM

Boris 42%
    Corbyn 19%
    Swinson 15%

Tories lead Labour on the economy, defence, jobs, foreign relations, trade and even the NHS. Labour just lead on welfare

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7632443/Boris-Johnson-trusted-Jeremy-Corbyn-new-poll-voters-reveals.html
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,930
    Foxy said:

isam said:

If I were you, I would get some new friends...
    Most of my friends aren’t on it!
  • Options
    nunu2nunu2 Posts: 1,453

Look at the number of homeless on CA and you'll see where that number comes from.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

Seems to be a case of meth addicts on the west coast and opioid addicts elsewhere in the US.
  • Options
    In the latest bit of weirdness from across the pond, Donald has tweeted a fake picture of himself giving a medal to a dog...

https://twitter.com/W7VOA/status/1189630141401571328?s=19
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    kle4 said:

glw said:

nico67 said:

I think someone's trying to bounce BXP into a small scale strategy. But even if Farage were not so ego driven, it's a lot of candidates who would need to stand down, he might not be able to persuade the party. He might stick to his guns rather than see candidates say they'll stand as indys or something.
    But if he says “you’re not a BXP candidate” presumably they can’t claim to be? At that point they are just another independent without a personal vote
  • Options
    nunu2 said:

Look at the number of homeless on CA and you'll see where that number comes from.
    The third episode of Simon Reeve in the Americas is worth seeing, and has quite a big section on homelessness in LA. It's on Sunday nights and iplayer.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,994
    In the data:

Trustworthy

Johnson -30
    Corbyn -37
    Swinson +20

Now that's interesting
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    That picture of Rees-mogg is terrible. Born to rule pose! :wink:
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,601
    edited October 2019

I think better advice would be "watch the share after discounting the house effect".

34% for the Conservatives would be really lousy news for them if the poll were from Opinium. But it's from Survation and from them 34% represents a polling high for the Conservatives under Johnson's leadership. (Note also that 34% in UK = approx 35% in GB). Only a month ago Survation had the Conservatives on 27%.

What that poll does therefore do is to suggest that the trend of the Conservatives gradually strengthening their position has continued into the start of the GE period. I don't think your Blue Meanies should be worried by that.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

In the data:

Trustworthy

Johnson -30
    Corbyn -37
    Swinson +20

Now that's interesting
    That is dreadful for Johnson given he is peak honeymoon. LD upto 2010 were usually seen as trustworthy, so that is interesting that Swinson has a positive score as up to a few months ago they were tainted by post 2010. I am surprised that JC has not got worse figures compared to BJ given the Tory/Brexit supporting media output. If I were still a Tory -30 would worry me...
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,822
    edited October 2019

I think better advice would be "watch the share after discounting the house effect".

34% for the Conservatives would be really lousy news for them if the poll were from Opinium. But it's from Survation and from them 34% represents a polling high for the Conservatives under Johnson's leadership. (Note also that 34% in UK = approx 35% in GB). Only a month ago Survation had the Conservatives on 27%.

What that poll does therefore do is to suggest that the trend of the Conservatives gradually strengthening their position has continued into the start of the GE period. I don't think your Blue Meanies should be worried by that.
    Also no sign of Con collapsing after Boris had to ditch his "do or die" Brexit on 31/10/19.

Voters clear who they blame for us no leaving and the majority don't blame Boris... ;)
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Also no sign of Con collapsing after Boris had to ditch his "do or die" Brexit on 31/10/19.

Voters clear who they blame for us no leaving and the majority don't blame Boris... ;)
    Not surprising given the Brexit supporting media. I would caution your glee. When Black Wednesday occured i seem to remember the Tories had a poll lead. It was only later things deteriorated and then when Blair became leader a couple of years later the Tories plumbed depths that were catastrophic for the Tories...
  • Options
    Swing to the LD! :smiley:

Interesting that I was just thinking you don't hear much about the Windsor MP. Wonder if he will stand again? I think TM is standing again in neighbouring Maidenhead.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969
    MaxPB said:

The Tories need 37+ to get a majority. It means squeezing the brexit party down to mid single figures. It's definitely possible on the basis of that poll.

This might help: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/10/30/brexit-party-could-help-tories-general-election-not-fighting/
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Not surprising given the Brexit supporting media. I would caution your glee. When Black Wednesday occured i seem to remember the Tories had a poll lead. It was only later things deteriorated and then when Blair became leader a couple of years later the Tories plumbed depths that were catastrophic for the Tories...
    After 14 years in power, the Tories have only been in 9 years
  • Options

Barnesian said:

In the data:

Trustworthy

Johnson -30
    Corbyn -37
    Swinson +20

Now that's interesting
    That is dreadful for Johnson given he is peak honeymoon. LD upto 2010 were usually seen as trustworthy, so that is interesting that Swinson has a positive score as up to a few months ago they were tainted by post 2010. I am surprised that JC has not got worse figures compared to BJ given the Tory/Brexit supporting media output. If I were still a Tory -30 would worry me...
    Corbyn has a 7% worse rating than Boris on trustworthy, trails Boris by 23% as best PM and 51% fear a Corbyn Premiership.

That is great for Boris and abysmal for Corbyn on any measure
  • Options
    Only standing in 30 or so seats means (a) polling companies will stop including them ( b ) OFCOM won't let them get major party status for Broadcasting ( c ) no leaders debate slots (d ) no PPB. It would kill the Brexit Party's air war. It's akin to ending as a national political party.

If Farage does that it's not a tactic it's shutting up shop altogether. Maybe they will do that but the threshold for taking that decision is a lot higher than you think due to the consequences.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    HYUFD said:
    On a UNS basis , this implies 27 gains from Labour offset by 13 losses to LDs and circa 8 to SNP - giving the Tories 324 seats. Of the Labour seats at risk, 5 might well be saved as a result of first term incumbency.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    RobD said:

MaxPB said:

This might help: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/10/30/brexit-party-could-help-tories-general-election-not-fighting/
    I suspect it is just postering by TBP. Due to them being a new party with no GE track record, they have to be creative in how they get media attention. Another way to look at TBP is they are saying they are similar to the Tories, so it is safe to vote TBP instead of Tory. In the EU elections TBP engaged in this strategy and the Brexit supporting media assisted in presenting this view. The Tories could be screwed as they are going after Leave Labour voters...
  • Options
    justin124 said:

HYUFD said:
    On a UNS basis , this implies 27 gains from Labour offset by 13 losses to LDs and circa 8 to SNP - giving the Tories 324 seats. Of the Labour seats at risk, 5 might well be saved as a result of first term incumbency.
    Even 324 seats though would give the Tories a majority effectively with SF not taking their seats and would be enough to get the Boris Deal through without the DUP.

The Tory MPs in Scotland would also benefit from first term incumbency
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,128
    I put a small amount on the "Brexit - Meaningful Vote to pass in 2019?" market today, currently at 12.5-17.5.

Feel free to tell me I'm stupid, but as Johnson has reportedly been claiming we could leave on 1 January - which doesn't seem likely - I wonder if he may at least contrive to get the MV passed this year. If he wins a majority, of course.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:
    Even 324 seats though would give the Tories a majority effectively with SF not taking their seats and would be enough to get the Boris Deal through without the DUP.

I don't disagree with much of that.
  • Options

Only standing in 30 or so seats means (a) polling companies will stop including them ( b ) OFCOM won't let them get major party status for Broadcasting ( c ) no leaders debate slots (d ) no PPB. It would kill the Brexit Party's air war. It's akin to ending as a national political party.

If Farage does that it's not a tactic it's shutting up shop altogether. Maybe they will do that but the threshold for taking that decision is a lot higher than you think due to the consequences.

Stand in 56 then and you should get as much exposure as the SNP
  • Options
    It may be worth pointing out that in the 2017 campaign no poll showed a Tory lead as low as 8% until less than two and a half weeks before Polling Day.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

The current sea change in scottish politics could wipe out the advantage of incumbency. Given Scotland voted 62% remain. That is a big pool of anti-tory tactical voting! The Tories could be gubbed! :smiley:
  • Options
    DruttDrutt Posts: 1,093
    Chris said:

I put a small amount on the "Brexit - Meaningful Vote to pass in 2019?" market today, currently at 12.5-17.5.

Feel free to tell me I'm stupid, but as Johnson has reportedly been claiming we could leave on 1 January - which doesn't seem likely - I wonder if he may at least contrive to get the MV passed this year. If he wins a majority, of course.

Surely there's no MV and the way it gets through is the WAB?
  • Options
    Drutt said:

Chris said:

Surely there's no MV and the way it gets through is the WAB?
    By law there has to be a MV in the prescribed form, as well as the WAB.

My thought is that if he can by any means start the new session before 1 January, a MV will take only a few hours and will be of huge symbolic significance (especially as the Letwin amendment must still rankle).
  • Options
    Talking of betting, I wonder why Betfair still haven't settled the Brexit by 31/10/2019 and No Deal in 2019 markets, despite their own rules saying they would be settled when a extension was agreed, which it was (formally) yesterday.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

The current sea change in scottish politics could wipe out the advantage of incumbency. Given Scotland voted 62% remain. That is a big pool of anti-tory tactical voting! The Tories could be gubbed! :smiley:
    The latest Scotland only poll had the Tories losing 8 seats and holding 5 which was already factored in the 324 Tory total
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    justin124 said:

It may be worth pointing out that in the 2017 campaign no poll showed a Tory lead as low as 8% until less than two and a half weeks before Polling Day.

The Brexit Party were not around in 2017 for the Tories to squeeze either.

That 8% Tory lead is with the Brexit Party still on 12%
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,071
    Does anyone know what Baker is referring to?

https://twitter.com/stevebakerhw/status/1189603578584977409?s=21
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

The Brexit Party were not around in 2017 for the Tories to squeeze either.

That 8% Tory lead is with the Brexit Party still on 12%
    Surely you've done enough now to become Lord Hyufd of Hyufd in the Principality of Wales and can stop trying now.
  • Options
    Charles said:

The SNP gets its OFCOM coverage because it's a major party for Scotland and anything broadcast there has to treat them as such. As we have a heavily centralised media that means UK wide coverage. But the SNP designation is just based on candidates stood. They are the Scottish government, have a majority of MPs, loads of councillors, MEPs etc.

The Brexit Party has 1 MEP in Scotland and that's that.

If the Brexit Party wants an air war it needs OFCOM designation as a major party in at least England. Given it's legally not continuity UKIP and has no previous electoral mandate than means hundreds of candidates need to stand.
  • Options

Charles said:

The SNP gets its OFCOM coverage because it's a major party for Scotland and anything broadcast there has to treat them as such. As we have a heavily centralised media that means UK wide coverage. But the SNP designation is just based on candidates stood. They are the Scottish government, have a majority of MPs, loads of councillors, MEPs etc.

If the Brexit Party wants an air war it needs OFCOM designation as a major party in at least England. Given it's legally not continuity UKIP and has no previous electoral mandate than means hundreds of candidates need to stand.
    And if I remember the rules correctly, they'll need to keep standing all the way to closing time.
  • Options

Charles said:

I suspect that if they treated them differently to the LibDems there will be cries of foul play
  • Options

Does anyone know what Baker is referring to?

https://twitter.com/stevebakerhw/status/1189603578584977409?s=21

From looking at the comments Baker seems to be upset the LD have said BJ broke his promise to leave EU on the 31st oct 2019. Also some references to the LD being a local candidate. To be honest unless mainstream media pick it up i dont know why he is bothering as his twitter feed will change no votes in wycombe. Not unless he gets shit faced and starts saying things in intemperate language, which i doubt he will do! Seems a bit of a dull MP!
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    Barnesian said:

In the data:

Trustworthy

Johnson -30
    Corbyn -37
    Swinson +20

Now that's interesting
    Not really. No one knows much about Swinson yet.

One thing I'm quite confident about this campaign, is the longer it goes on, the weaker the LD position will look, and it will be largely because of negative reactions to Swinson. The LDs have been suckered into thinking she's a vote winner because of positive reaction to the cancel Brexit policy and how all over the place Labour are on the issue. It won't last.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

I suspect that if they treated them differently to the LibDems there will be cries of foul play
    The OFCOM decision is judiciable. The Brexit Party can go to court if it doesn't like it. Just as all the other parties will if OFCOM grant a party with 30 candidates ' major party ' status .
  • Options

Charles said:

Charles said:

The OFCOM decision is judiciable. The Brexit Party can go to court if it doesn't like it. Just as all the other parties will if OFCOM grant a party with 30 candidates ' major party ' status .
    I’m drawing a distinction between media coverage and the official OFCOM status
  • Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

I’m drawing a distinction between media coverage and the official OFCOM status
    Yes, which is why I disagree with you. OFCOM regulated broadcasters use tge OFCOM party statuses to meet their statutory duty to provide ' balanced ' coverage during campaign periods. If the Brexit Party isn't designated a major party broadcasters won't be able to give them the same volume of coverage as those that are designated.
  • Options
    Labour Party affliate won't campaign for the Labour Party. The times we live in.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/oct/31/jewish-group-removes-campaigning-support-for-labour-in-election
This discussion has been closed.