Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » New polling finds fewer than 1 in 4 think that Brexit will hap

12345679»

Comments

• Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,857
    HYUFD said:

I am running the Epping campaign

I take it we won't be seeing you door-knocking here in East Ham. Shame.

It's not inconceivable Eleanor will be the Speaker before the GE begins so hunt out those white rosettes.

• Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,284
    edited October 2019
    Artist said:

https://twitter.com/heidiallen75/status/1189155214399623169

MPs who don't want to MPs because of the threats and the violence and the abuse.

What a low point our country has reached. I fear for our democracy. And I'm not convinced it isn't going to get worse.

That's cost the Lib Dem a seat. Why did she bother defecting.

If the LibDem surge is on, her seat is already high on the list. And I am sure the LD candidate will have Heidi’s public endorsement.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Notice almost all the high profile defectors to the LDs are standing in wealthy parts of central London, a shrewd move from the LDs to target peak Remain.

Gyimah could gain Kensington from Labour
    Hang on. Labour won by 20 votes (sic) from Conservatives last time round. Are you saying the Conservatives won't be taking it this time?

Just how many seats you reckon you are going to win then?
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,000
    IanB2 said:

RobD said:

12 Dec, voters go to work. Works Christmas party. Get smashed. Don’t make it home in time to vote. That will 100% be a scenario played out across the country.

12 Dec will be the most popular night of the year for works Christmas parties.

I thought the most popular was the last Friday before Christmas? 12th seems a bit early!
    Au contraire. A) Fridays are unpopular because that’s employees’ own time b) the final week is too late and many take those days off to use up holiday and/or do Christmas shopping.

12 Dec will be the most popular day for works parties.
    You are completely right and I don’t know why anyone’s arguing with you.
    Will be fun this afternoon when it starts to dawn on events organisers...
    Why? Vote in the morning. Get hammered at the works party in the evening. Stagger home to watch the results come in. What’s not to like? ;)
    Well of course, however many will put off voting in the morning then fail to make it home in the evening. That is 100% certain to be a scenario played out many times over.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,012

HYUFD said:

I'm not at all sure that the Conservatives have thought through the optics. An election in which they're campaigning screeching about Singapore-on-Thames, invading Spain and capital punishment for benefit claimants is going to sit ill with the usual festive idea of tidings of goodwill to all men.

To be fair, I don't think @HYUFD is going to be running their campaign.
    Good luck HYUFD
    Thank you (though only Epping town itself) but Eleanor Laing should be safe and will mainly be in marginals like Chingford, Enfield Southgate, Ilford North, Thurrock, Colchester, Brentford and Harlow
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

Heidi Allen stands down saying she is exhausted

She is exhausted by the invasion of privacy, nastiness and threats. There is a world of difference between those two statements.
    I think that is likely for many mps
    There must be a good market for a twitter/facebook client that will filter out abuse. Not just MPs (and Meghan) but anyone in the public eye.

Bernard Ingham lamented that John Major's defensiveness was caused by his insistence on reading the papers, whereas Mrs Thatcher just read the suitably filtered press round-up.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

I'm not at all sure that the Conservatives have thought through the optics. An election in which they're campaigning screeching about Singapore-on-Thames, invading Spain and capital punishment for benefit claimants is going to sit ill with the usual festive idea of tidings of goodwill to all men.

Good luck HYUFD
    The sooner he gets out on the doorstep telling all those *diehard* remainers to f**** off and vote LibDem, the better....
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    That what the SCons want going into an election.
  • Options
    nunuonenunuone Posts: 1,138

Hmm, not so sure about that. He might do very well there.
    Yes he will.

He will take a bunch of votes if labour.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,768
    edited October 2019
    isam said:

She is exhausted by the invasion of privacy, nastiness and threats. There is a world of difference between those two statements.
    Being an MP is tough. You cant go back on what got you elected in the way she did and not expect kickback from the voters. The nastiness, in my opinion, is her deception.
    An MP should be able to exercise their judgment, rightly or wrongly, consistently or inconsistently without expecting threats of rape and murder.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    HYUFD said:

Boris will be offering tax cuts and spending for hospitals and the police and schools and above all to get Brexit done.

Boris will be Santa to May's Cruella Da Vil
    Plus Boris will be Santa to Corbyn's Grinch.

Boris is the embodiment of can-do, up-beat Britain-is-Great optimism. Corbyn? Not so much....
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,071

It looks like Cummings has already moved to neuter rail as an issue.

Has Cummings ever run a party political campaign before? Playing the NHS card when you want people to vote Tory is very different to playing the NHS card when you want people to vote Leave.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143

HYUFD fondly reminds us of his one happy call, so I thought I'd immodestly mention 6 months ago that I posted here that we'd have to have an autumn election. Technically this is a winter election.

Set that against my less felicitous tips. Ken Clarke as PM being one such :wink:

And as I'm also fond of pointing out, if you try often enough eventually you'll stick the donkey's tail on the correct spot.

Isn't this technically an autumn election?
    Ah, good point! In the astronomical definition you're absolutely right. December 21st is the start of winter, running to March 20th.

Meteorological winter is 01st December to end of February.
    There is no such thing as the meteorological definition, that’s just Met Office spin. The seasons are set by the cosmos. There is a Met Office definition, but government agencies have no power to defy the laws of physics.

Winter begins on 21 Dec and ends on 21 March.
    There can be many definitions for things. Who are you to say that meteorologists can't come up with several?

The astronomical definition, as such, exists only because it was easy for stone age society to measure with stone circles, but it didn't make much sense in its own terms. It would make more sense if the winter astronomical season had the winter solstice in the middle of the winter season. Then you'd have one dark season, one light season and two transition seasons.
    But then spring would be colder than winter, or very close.

I’m an advocate of thermal seasons - which would run 10 Dec to 10 March and so on. The inaccurately named “meteorological season” has no basis in science and is simply a product of statistical convenience because it uses whole months of the year.
    There's nothing wrong with statistical convenience, particularly when your definition of a thermal season is only valid for a small geographical area.

You're the one arguing for a single definition of the seasons and now you've introduced a new one.

I'd argue that you can use many definitions of the seasons depending on your purpose and it would be absurd to insist that your favourite definition was the One True Definition Of The Seasons.

I think there are about seven eight definitions that have some merit and use, and I've been meaning to define my own.
  • Options
    nunuonenunuone Posts: 1,138

It looks like Cummings has already moved to neuter rail as an issue.

What did he say?
  • Options
    edited October 2019

HYUFD said:

Notice almost all the high profile defectors to the LDs are standing in wealthy parts of central London, a shrewd move from the LDs to target peak Remain.

Hang on. Labour won by 20 votes (sic) from Conservatives last time round. Are you saying the Conservatives won't be taking it this time?

I think the Tories will take lots of Labour seats in Leave areas in the Midlands, Wales and the North and a few in London and the South.

The LDs though will take some Tory and Labour seats in central London and a few other Remain areas like St Albans and Cheltenham.

Remember on current polls the Tories have their biggest lead over Labour at a general election since 1983 on average but the Tory lead over the LDs is the smallest since 2010
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Good luck HYUFD
    Thank you (though only Epping town itself) but Eleanor Laing should be safe and will mainly be in marginals like Chingford, Enfield Southgate, Ilford North, Thurrock, Colchester, Brentford and Harlow
    Ilford North isn’t marginal.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Good luck HYUFD
    Make her Speaker - and you can put your feet up!
  • Options

RobD said:

12 Dec, voters go to work. Works Christmas party. Get smashed. Don’t make it home in time to vote. That will 100% be a scenario played out across the country.

12 Dec will be the most popular night of the year for works Christmas parties.

I thought the most popular was the last Friday before Christmas? 12th seems a bit early!
    Au contraire. A) Fridays are unpopular because that’s employees’ own time b) the final week is too late and many take those days off to use up holiday and/or do Christmas shopping.

12 Dec will be the most popular day for works parties.
    You are completely right and I don’t know why anyone’s arguing with you.
    Will be fun this afternoon when it starts to dawn on events organisers...
    Think of the poor civil servants. They can have the party but they can’t now have Friday off with a hangover.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,930

isam said:

Being an MP is tough. You cant go back on what got you elected in the way she did and not expect kickback from the voters. The nastiness, in my opinion, is her deception.
    An MP should be able to exercise their judgment, rightly or wrongly, consistently or inconsistently without expecting threats of rape and murder.
    Yes, they should will not be an MP for long if they do so.

I dont actually think that they should be allowed to do a U-Turn on what got them elected and defect to a party with the opposite policy without holding a by election.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,314
    edited October 2019
    Listening to a labour party activist they are going to be on the streets, knocking on doors, selling their message but he seems to be unaware that a december election changes the normal process especially with dark nights (4.00pm ish), prospect of bad weather, and a public that will hide behind the doors or slam them shut

It will be interesting to see if this election is won on social media and through the broadcast media rather than more traditional canvassing etc
  • Options
    From Guido: "Reports that after a lively meeting with Roland Rudd this morning People’s Vote staffers have now voted no confidence in him and their new chief executive Patrick Heneghan."
  • Options

MPs who don't want to MPs because of the threats and the violence and the abuse.

What a low point our country has reached. I fear for our democracy. And I'm not convinced it isn't going to get worse.

It is not a low point it is a dishonest lie.

If with no hint of an election coming she took the Chiltern Hundreds saying she couldn't be an MP anymore because of the 'abuse' then yes that would be a low point. Standing down at an election she knows she will lose is meaningless.

This is a seat the Tories held with a 9k majority in 1997. Not exactly a swing seat.
  • Options
    Oh, and Boris now guaranteed to be the third shortest serving PM at least.
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

I dont actually think that they should be allowed to do a U-Turn on what got them elected and defect to a party with the opposite policy without holding a by election.
    Its a view, many will agree, others will not. Argue for it. Dont excuse those who threaten, nearly always against women, when someone goes against their view, by saying they should expect threats and intimidation if they choose to do x or y.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

Danny565 said:

AndyJS said:

I don't think personal attacks on Corbyn are a good idea for the Tories. They patently didn't work in 2017. Best to stick to policy from their point of view.

They didn't do personal attacks in 2017, amazingly. Nor did they lay into the lunatic policies. They even disallowed the excellent Phil Hammond from going on the media to point out how daft their economic policies were. It was an absolutely catastrophic campaign which gave Labour a free ride.
    According to the the leaked People's Vote polling, the 'excellent' Hammond is even less popular than Corbyn...

https://twitter.com/alexwickham/status/1188936379570511873
    If Hammond was Tory leader yes Corbyn might become PM
    They might have done Alastair Campbell the favour of extending the y-axis down a bit further in that graph?
    I’m fascinated by Blunkett’s “fame” scores after so long (I always liked him I would just assume many would have forgotten).
    I once had dinner sitting next to Blunkett, with his dog nuzzling my leg. He was a genuinely nice and decent guy, and we had a great conversation. But he was very partisan Labour and didn’t have that ability that many top level politicians have to put themselves above the party contest when off duty.
  • Options
    Alistair said:
    Perhaps she can now drive a tank around Tory marginals?
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Apparently Labour are now saying the date has to be the 9th.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I think the Tories will take lots of Labour seats in Leave areas in the Midlands, Wales and the North and a few in London and the South.

The LDs though will take some Tory and Labour seats in central London and a few other Remain areas like St Albans and Cheltenham.

Remember on current polls the Tories have their biggest lead over Labour at a general election since 1983 on average but the Tory lead over the LDs is the smallest since 2010
    Answer the bloody question! Are you are saying the Conservatives won't win Kensington, the narrowest Lab/Con marginal in the Country?

You must be fighting a very defensive war!
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Answer the bloody question! Are you are saying the Conservatives won't win Kensington, the narrowest Lab/Con marginal in the Country?

I think the LDs could win it.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Labour remain moderates (Benn, Cooper etc) are tactically OK at many points but strategically completely inept
  • Options
    edited October 2019

If with no hint of an election coming she took the Chiltern Hundreds saying she couldn't be an MP anymore because of the 'abuse' then yes that would be a low point. Standing down at an election she knows she will lose is meaningless.

This is a seat the Tories held with a 9k majority in 1997. Not exactly a swing seat.
    My money is on her seat being a LibDem gain (edit/ even without Heidi, who would have been a shoo-in). If only there were some way to bet on it.
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979

Listening to a labour party activist they are going to be on the streets, knocking on doors, selling their message but he seems to be unaware that a december election changes the normal process especially with dark nights (4.00pm ish), prospect of bad weather, and a public that will hide behind the doors or slam them shut

It will be interesting to see if this election is won on social media and through the broadcast media rather than more traditional canvassing etc

I doubt it. Electoral machines win elections. The ground game is key. I actually wonder how the Tories are going to find ground troops to canvass what have been safe Labour seats in the dark. I would not go to unfamilar places, possibly rough/violent as a Tory after a decade of austerity even if i was paid.... :wink:
  • Options
    edited October 2019

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I think the Tories could win a majority of 100 and still see Kensington go LD not Tory yes.

Remember Kensington voted LD in the European Parliament elections
  • Options
    IanB2 said:
    If Labour do get battered, then the venom aimed at the centre of the Party is going to be at taipan levels....
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    lol. Imagine the headlines if Labour manage to block this too.

https://twitter.com/nicholaswatt/status/1189163100081184768
  • Options

If threatening rape and murder of our MPs is not a low point what is?

When did decency stop being a thing? Just because you dont like their politics it shouldnt stop some empathy with the problem women MPs are facing and why many feel it is not worth it.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I think the Tories could win a majority of 100 and still see Kensington go LD not Tory yes
    The new dimension of the coming GE is that for the first time the LibDems might be able to deploy serious amounts of money to their campaign.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,806

I don't understand this story.

You book a seat, you get the seat. You sit in the wrong seat? You move when the right person arrives*. I've never seen anything as jaw-dropping as that.

I understand it perfectly. Travelling by train means being locked up in a steel tube with people who are at best loud, smelly and annoying, and at worst are drunk, high, offensive and violent. Reserving a seat is a waste of time. It is not a pleasant Portillo journey conversing with the interesting and eccentric, it is a Hobbesian war of all against all. I hate, hate, hate trains.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Good luck HYUFD
    Ilford North isn’t marginal.
    On current polls it is
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Good luck HYUFD
    We hope
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I think the LDs could win it.
    Yes, it's an intriguing 3-way fight, but how revealing that HYUFD (one of the most fanatically pro-Conservative posters ever to grace this Site) didn't even suggest it as a potential Con gain.

It certainly sets expectations low.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I think the Tories could win a majority of 100 and still see Kensington go LD not Tory yes.

The Potteries will be the sort of area where the Tories could do very well: two seats in Stoke on Trent, Newcastle-under-Lyme, plus adjacent Crewe and Nantwich where the Labour majority is 48.
  • Options
    Gabs2Gabs2 Posts: 1,268
    Alistair said:

I think the first week will be vital. If Farage and the Brexit Party do not develop momentum in the first week it is done, Con majority nailed on.

Farage needs to be primed to be all over the media screaming betrayal at every oppertunity.

He can scream all he wants. It only gets traction if his arguments are compelling. If your read the Brexit Party's complaints about the Boris deal, it is 90% the transition period, which most Brexit supporters will shrug off as its transitional.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,341
    HYUFD said:

Danny565 said:

AndyJS said:

I don't think personal attacks on Corbyn are a good idea for the Tories. They patently didn't work in 2017. Best to stick to policy from their point of view.

They didn't do personal attacks in 2017, amazingly. Nor did they lay into the lunatic policies. They even disallowed the excellent Phil Hammond from going on the media to point out how daft their economic policies were. It was an absolutely catastrophic campaign which gave Labour a free ride.
    According to the the leaked People's Vote polling, the 'excellent' Hammond is even less popular than Corbyn...

Some interesting things in that chart:

* Johnson is shown as a popular Remain supporter - presumably this is Alan, not Boris?
    * Corbyn is shown as more popular than Sturgeon, Ed Miliband and Cameron
    * Burnham and Blunkett are the most popular well-known Labour people. In general Burnham's move to Mayor has been very good for his reputation
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Because Tories went on strike everywhere! European election read-across to this election is damned near pointless.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    AndyJS said:

Of course they are. The opposition won't agree to a Tory Timetable.
  • Options
    humbugger said:

AndyJS said:

They didn't do personal attacks in 2017, amazingly. I kept waiting for them to appear, and they never did. Nor did they lay into the lunatic policies. They even disallowed the excellent Phil Hammond from going on the media to point out how daft their economic policies were. It was an absolutely catastrophic campaign which gave Labour a free ride.

I don't think they'll repeat any of those mistakes, except for the Phil Hammond one obv. Javid won't be as convincing (and in any case they've thrown away much of their advantage on sound economics).
    Good afternoon all.

Which bit of low inflation, low interest rates, low unemployment and a vastly reduced deficit is the Tories throwing away any of their advantage on sound economics.
    The bits which started going wrong when Hammond left No 11.
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,463
    AndyJS said:

Oh god, you couldn’t make this up...
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    Artist said:

That's cost the Lib Dem a seat. Why did she bother defecting.
    I expect she knew she couldn't win.
  • Options
    Andrew said:

Corbyn just declared the start of the campaign! Ridiculous.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,631
    isam said:

isam said:

You are entitled to that opinion, but it is not in either the law or the constitution.

You do, however, appear to be condoning activities which are blatantly illegal.

• Options
    AndyJS said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

The Potteries will be the sort of area where the Tories could do very well: two seats in Stoke on Trent, Newcastle-under-Lyme, plus adjacent Crewe and Nantwich where the Labour majority is 48.
    West Midlands is the key to a healthy Tory majority. Time for places like Coventry, Wolverhampton and maybe even Brum itself to start showing some love for Boris.....
  • Options

When did decency stop being a thing? Just because you dont like their politics it shouldnt stop some empathy with the problem women MPs are facing and why many feel it is not worth it.
    Anyone threatening rape and murder is a criminal and should be prosecuted - no ifs, no buts, no prevarication.

That has absolutely nothing to do with an MP standing down because they know they would be humiliated in the ballot box.
  • Options
    Andrew said:

Hello, Tom Watson speaking.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Good luck HYUFD
    We hope

It is on current polling
    Not when you apply some intelligence and look at the age and ethnicity profile of the seat.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Good luck HYUFD
    We hope

One less blinkered Brexit zealot on the floor of the house.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Anorak said:

People like this really boil my piss. Utter, utter arseholes.
    https://twitter.com/alexhern/status/1189130693567303680

Link to the affected (and pregnant mother), whose thread started this.
    https://twitter.com/Manda_like_wine/status/1186574340541825024

I don't understand this story.

You book a seat, you get the seat. You sit in the wrong seat? You move when the right person arrives*. I've never seen anything as jaw-dropping as that.

*I mean, you can work out what seats have not been taken and safely sit in them but, with things like split ticketing, always book in advance, always book a seat.
    TL;DR

The elderly couple are jerks (there’s another story about their behaviour in thread)

The conductor handled it well upgrading the family to first class

Why did the tweeter think that the couple’s “posh voice” has anything to do with anything?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

If Kensington goes LD, Tories have not got a majority of 100.

They probably haven't got a majority at all.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Not so sure. A LD win requires a level of Labour collapse that would be horrific for them further north......
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    isam said:

isam said:

She stood on a ticket of respecting the referendum result and said to hold a second referendum would be to make the UK "the kind of banana republic that I don't want to live in"

Then voted against leaving, defected without holding a by election, and campaigned for a second referendum. She should have been disallowed from standing for parliament ever again on the back of that. Now she can retire to the fluffyness of the family business, good riddance.
    Good news for the Tories.....
    I think Heidi Allen's behaviour, and the lack of criticism that accompanied it, prove that old men will still forgive a pretty lady anything
    Anna Soubry receives a lot more public criticism...
  • Options

Anyone threatening rape and murder is a criminal and should be prosecuted - no ifs, no buts, no prevarication.

That has absolutely nothing to do with an MP standing down because they know they would be humiliated in the ballot box.
    She is leaving. You are completely guessing at her reasons for doing so, purely for a cheap political point that encourages the criminals. Thats me done on this one.
  • Options
    edited October 2019

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Wrong. In the European Parliament elections Kensington went LD and the country went Brexit Party, Kensington could again go LD as the country goes Tory and for Boris
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Not so sure. A LD win requires a level of Labour collapse that would be horrific for them further north......
    The differing geography of the swings in the coming election will be critical. That’s why people who cut and paste the last opinion poll into seat projection software are wasting their time,
  • Options
    Right surely today goes something like this

Gov't tables bill for 12th December

Opposition amends to 9th December

Amended bill for 9th goes through by acclaim ?
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,822
    Is Labour imploding right now? :D
  • Options
    edited October 2019

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Exactly, Remainers going LD and Leavers going Tory spells Tory sweep of Labour marginals
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Is Labour imploding right now? :D

I don't know how anyone remotely paying attention could vote for them right now.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Wrong. In the European Parliament elections Kensington went LD and the country went Brexit Party, Kensington could again go LD as the country goes Tory and for Boris
    Have you evaluated any other potential circumstances in which Kensington goes LD?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969
    This thread is dissolved.
  • Options

She is leaving. You are completely guessing at her reasons for doing so, purely for a cheap political point that encourages the criminals. Thats me done on this one.
    Absolute codswallop.

She is leaving because an election has been called and saying so has nothing to do with criminal behaviour. She hasn't quit mid term and was quite prepared it seems to see another 2.5 years out.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited October 2019
    Pulpstar said:

Right surely today goes something like this

Gov't tables bill for 12th December

Opposition amends to 9th December

Amended bill for 9th goes through by acclaim ?

But aren't Labour also wanting to play silly buggers and amend for kids to vote, EU citizens to vote, anybody who is much more likely to vote Labour to get a vote....
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

The Tories could sweep the Potteries
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Danny565 said:

AndyJS said:

Some interesting things in that chart:

* Johnson is shown as a popular Remain supporter - presumably this is Alan, not Boris?
    * Corbyn is shown as more popular than Sturgeon, Ed Miliband and Cameron
    * Burnham and Blunkett are the most popular well-known Labour people. In general Burnham's move to Mayor has been very good for his reputation
    Labour made a big mistake not picking Burnham in 2015 as leader
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    edited October 2019
    IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

The differing geography of the swings in the coming election will be critical. That’s why people who cut and paste the last opinion poll into seat projection software are wasting their time,
    Agreed.

Another thing to bear in mind is that there has been almost no scrutiny so far of the LibDem leadership & policies.

Both the Tories & Labour will be attacking ferociously in the campaign. I don't see Labour have any reason to go easy on the LibDems now, as it is the LibDems that decided to go for an election.

This will hardly favour tactical voting.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,780
    edited October 2019

kle4 said:

https://twitter.com/IanDunt/status/1189145831007543297

He'll be safely on his allotment by January if the polls are even remotely correct on his ratings.

As was said last time.

How many tory leaders has he seen off by now? I've lost count.
    Outlasted is not the same as seen off, as other factors than him saw to that and its childish to pretend otherwise.

However it is true he was underestimated before and seems to be being underestimated again.
    It's no worse than that "Great Survivor" nonsense about May
    No, but we weren't doing a comparison of silliness
  • Options

Ben Bradshaw, like Sheerman, extremely unhappy with election. Extremely.

Wonder if he will stand again?
    Both are standing again. Barry sheerman has been in the local paper on the frontpage on a frequent basis with a lot of non stories of late. As a vetran politician he knows the value of getting on the front page near an election for any reason. No such thing as bad publicity...
    Only I was reliably informed that Bradshaw was intent on making 2015 his last term. Had to have his arm twisted a bit in 2017.

There's some huge housing developments going on all around Exeter. Assuming they are within the constituency boundaries, then the Tories must have long term hopes of making it close once his large personal vote isn't there.
    I can understand that Tory strategy. I think Bradshaw was on a news channel saying he would be fighting an election yesterday. I cannot remember which channel as i watched at least 3 yesterday evening!
    Thanks. He would be a big loss for Labour in the SW if he doesn't stand. Their Plymouth seats looks a tricky hold.
    When the May landslide looked plausible I think there were only 1-2 seats in all the SW that looked winnable for labour (outside Bristol at least). I seem to recall people saying he had to be persuaded to stay on last time.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Are you seriously extrapolating from the European elections to a GE?

Even by your standards, HYUFD, that it is some stretch! The Tories hardly bothered to show up in the Europeans.

You are a wag. :)
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,134

When was an election last won on "traditional canvassing etc" rather than the media?

Answers invited from people of retirement age or older ...
  • Options

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Agreed.

Another thing to bear in mind is that there has been almost no scrutiny so far of the LibDem leadership & policies.

Both the Tories & Labour will be attacking ferociously in the campaign. I don't see Labour have any reason to go easy on the LibDems now, as it is the LibDems that decided to go for an election.

This will hardly favour tactical voting.
    Given the circumstances, both LibDems and Labour would be sensible to go easy on each other. Whether they are sensible remains to be seen.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Boris will be offering tax cuts and spending for hospitals and the police and schools and above all to get Brexit done.

Boris will be Santa to May's Cruella Da Vil
    Plus Boris will be Santa to Corbyn's Grinch.

Boris is the embodiment of can-do, up-beat Britain-is-Great optimism. Corbyn? Not so much....
    Corbyn sells a vision that its terrible now but he can it great again. Not in those words, but it's the same message.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

The Tories could sweep the Potteries
    Be nice if they did something useful for a change. Cleaning is a much maligned occupation.
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    Are any Lib Dems worried about Heidi Allen's decision? I was always suspicious of those saying South Cambs will go yellow, on the face of it it looks quite Tory to me. If she was willing to put up with founding her own party and then joining the Lib Dems Im amazed she's standing down entirely for the reasons she cites.

Surely she must have had huge doubts about being able to win her seat?

Not that this suggests Lib Dem local polling is bad everywhere but it could mean that the defectors such as Wollaston are a lot less popular locally than those such as Swinson who stood on a lib dem platform in 2017. Defectors beware...
  • Options
    FlannerFlanner Posts: 408

How apparently affluent inner London votes tells us nothing about how core Tory Britain votes. Apparently affluent inner London is Remainer central: not only do they all want to stay in, but they're astonishingly diverse ethnically and socially. and really really really want to stay in.

They're the polar opposite of traditionally "posh" Tory seats in the suburbs or Angleterre Profonde.

When I see LD gains on election night in K&C and the Cities, I'll assume we're on for at least 50 but merely matching 2010. Not until Somerset NE will I start thinking we're purging Britain of the horror Johnson's wrought.
  • Options
    A landslide for Boris? Maybe. Who knows?

But maybe he's throwing away a majority of 30 that would have allowed him to get his deal through, and to ride on in triumph.

Maybe he's following in Theresa May's footsteps, and trusting too much in the seductive opinion-poll promise of an easy win?
  • Options
    Chris said:

But maybe he's throwing away a majority of 30 that would have allowed him to get his deal through, and to ride on in triumph.

Maybe he's following in Theresa May's footsteps, and trusting too much in the seductive opinion-poll promise of an easy win?

Boris could not get his Deal through without Labour MPs adding a Customs Union or EUref2 rendering it worthless, so a general election to get a Tory majority it must be
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    Chris said:

If he gets rid of Hammond, Boles etc he will have more support for his Brexit bill, so that is an immediate positive for him.
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138

Only I was reliably informed that Bradshaw was intent on making 2015 his last term. Had to have his arm twisted a bit in 2017.

There's some huge housing developments going on all around Exeter. Assuming they are within the constituency boundaries, then the Tories must have long term hopes of making it close once his large personal vote isn't there.

If we are talking about the same large scale developments, Mr Mark, they are not in the Exeter constituency. They are in East Devon and Central Devon. But I was under the impression that they had lots of affordable housing anyway.

• Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,930

isam said:

isam said:

Its a view, many will agree, others will not. Argue for it. Dont excuse those who threaten, nearly always against women, when someone goes against their view, by saying they should expect threats and intimidation if they choose to do x or y.
    And don’t imply people who haven’t done so have excused anyone for anything
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Anyone on the YouGov panel (and who knows if they're doing a poll atm)? It will be cute to see PBTories get excited when they show a 20-point Tory lead.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    Valerie Vaz is struggling to form sentences right now.

How did she ever get elected?
  • Options
    SunnyJimSunnyJim Posts: 1,106

She was very poor.
  • Options
    SunnyJim said:

She was very poor.
    I genuinely couldn’t understand the point she was making. What was the line about repealing the Act? How does that make sense? “We want an election, and we want a far more complex Bill to replace the FTPA to achieve it”.
  • Options
    MangoMango Posts: 1,013
    Charles said:

More importantly, different constituencies have different concerns

In a PR system you would likely end up with identikit politicians with a London / big city focus (because that is where more votes are)

But an ex mining constituency in Nottinghamshire, for example, may have different issues that require a different representative

Bilge. STV keeps local representatives. Except that they are actually accountable to the local people.

Regional politics would also have a chance of coming alive.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,307
    So yesterday Labour voted against a motion to dissolve Parliament and have an election on 12th December but today they are voting for a bill to, err, dissolve Parliament and have a 12th December election.

Am I missing something?
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,266
    Hi @DecrepitJohnL

At the precise moment you asked your question, I was at a bus stop in Mdina waiting rather impatiently for a 186.

There are, to my knowledge, two PMs who never actually attended Parliament while in office. One was Lord Goderich, 1827-28. His predecessor died while Parliament was in recess, and he had a nervous breakdown before it was recalled.

The other was the Marquis of Bath, who was PM for the princely sum of two days in February 1746, returning the commission when he was unable to form a cabinet. One pamphlet drily called him, ‘ the most wise and honest of all administrations, the minister having ... never transacted one rash thing; and, what is more marvellous, left as much money in the T[reasur]y as he found in it.’

Of course, in terms of percentage I would expect the lowest would be one of our own time. A certain Anthony Charles Lynton Blair attended less than 2% of all debates in the Commons while PM. One magazine had to defend naming him Parliamentarian of the Year after this emerged, and the editor said he only gave Blair the award to annoy Gordon Brown.

Fortunately that editor was such a twat he disappeared without trace In journalism. Anyone know what he’s doing now? His name was Boris Johnson.
This discussion has been closed.