Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » If there is no General Election then Bassetlaw could be the ne

Comments

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193
    stodge said:

kinabalu said:

JohnO said:

Latest Opinium gives Cons 16% lead

Con 40 +3
    Lab 24
    LD 15 -1
    BXP 10 -2

The sort of polling that explains why Johnson is desperate to have an election this year and why Corbyn is unlikely to call one.
    As the Labour Party finds ever more feeble reasons to prevent one, that gap is just going to increase.

Labour's life force is draining.
    I said this at the time they blocked the first attempt: it’s not a good look to say you don’t want people to have a say in how the country is run. Yes, people do get annoyed about having to go and vote, especially in an early election, but standing there and actively preventing them from doing so doesn’t particularly enamour them to you either - it makes you look like you (quite rightly IMHO) are afraid of what they’ll say.
    So what you're saying is the best hope for those of us who aren't Conservatives is to take our lumps (and the inevitable gloating) and watch Johnson win a huge majority and then wait for him to screw things up over the next decade and perhaps we might have a chance in 2029?

Seriously?
    Your Plan B is? That Johnson majority just gets bigger as you formulate one.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,188

Imagine the panic round at John McDonnell's tonight.

Lord Panic at McDonnell's? What will they be cooking up?
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

GIN1138 said:

But since Corbyn has been refusing an election the Con lead has got bigger and bigger.

If this keeps going on Con could reach 50% by Spring. ;)

Quite possibly.

But I think time works against Johnson.

Because people will get to know him a little better.
    Well, definitely takes any possibilty of a pre-Christmas election out of the equation!

Phew.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

GIN1138 said:

But since Corbyn has been refusing an election the Con lead has got bigger and bigger.

Quite possibly.

The people know Johnson.

And anything that would normally get people angry with the government on he has the perfect foil - "zombie Parliament" and its refusal to have an election.
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,547
    stodge said:

kinabalu said:

JohnO said:

Con 40 +3
    Lab 24
    LD 15 -1
    BXP 10 -2

The sort of polling that explains why Johnson is desperate to have an election this year and why Corbyn is unlikely to call one.
    As the Labour Party finds ever more feeble reasons to prevent one, that gap is just going to increase.

I said this at the time they blocked the first attempt: it’s not a good look to say you don’t want people to have a say in how the country is run. Yes, people do get annoyed about having to go and vote, especially in an early election, but standing there and actively preventing them from doing so doesn’t particularly enamour them to you either - it makes you look like you (quite rightly IMHO) are afraid of what they’ll say.
    So what you're saying is the best hope for those of us who aren't Conservatives is to take our lumps (and the inevitable gloating) and watch Johnson win a huge majority and then wait for him to screw things up over the next decade and perhaps we might have a chance in 2029?

Seriously?
    No, I’m not saying that at all. In 2017 Labour voted for an election and had a respectable result despite all the prophecies of doom.

All sorts can happen in a GE campaign, but it helps to start off on the right foot rather than looking like you’re absolutely petrified of the prospect.

• Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,081
    100+ majority nailed on again
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

GIN1138 said:

Quite possibly.

So far, the more they see of him, the more he represents their frustrations with the blocking by Westminster. And the more they are prepared to give him their vote to dismantle it.
  • Options
    stodge said:

kinabalu said:

JohnO said:

Con 40 +3
    Lab 24
    LD 15 -1
    BXP 10 -2

Seriously?
    No, the best hope for those who aren't Conservatives is to grasp the fight front-on just as was done when May had a 25% lead in the polls.

To simply whimper and cry behind the sofa isn't pretty.
  • Options
    justin124 said:
    Herding.....
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    geoffw said:

Sandpit said:

JohnO said:

Con 40 +3
    Lab 24
    LD 15 -1
    BXP 10 -2

Ooh, 40%. First one of them since March I believe, before Farage launched Brexit Party.
    There was a 42% in August (Kantar), but I think that's the only one.

to add: 200 majority (!) according to Electoral calculus.
    UNS implies 64 gains from Labour offset by 7 losses to LDs an 8 to SNP to give the Tories 367 seats - a majority of 84.
    Yougov implies a majority of 42.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,927

stodge said:

Seriously?

To quote another Conservative Prime Minister "Events, dear boy, Events".

How is the anger to be sustained with time? Answer, it won't. The opposition simply have to wait it out for now. As it becomes clear Johnson has no answers, his support will start to drain away.

Ask me again in three months.

• Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    How can anyone vote for a man that only twelve months ago said that no conservative PM could put a boarder down the Irish Sea and then does exactly that and then claim he is a genius is beyond me, but I suppose it no longer matters it was always about the Tory part prospects fuck everybody else it’s our god given right to be in power.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    DougSeal said:

Noo said:

Noo said:

Noo said:

Give us what we want or we vote fascist!
    Anyone who makes that argument in earnest deserves to never get their way.
    They will just as likely vote for extreme left wing parties. Anyway you are the last person to complain. It is already well established that you see democracy as nothing more than means to an end. Once again you only like democracy when you are winning.
    What is "well-established" is that I see democracy as a process, not a frozen point in time. I've don't shy away from the view that we should remain in the EU through a referendum or an election. Last time I checked, those were part of the democratic process.
    Not until you fulfil the instruction of the first referendum. Until then you are just making excuses and ignoring the democratic process.
    There we go. Your view of democracy is that a fixed point in time is holy. That it binds us to future actions even if the majority no longer want it. Consent given cannot be revoked.

Consent given cannot be revoked. That's a rapist's charter.
    Utter fucking bullshit from you. You really are a disgusting turd. Any argument you can make no matter how ludicrous to try and support your hatred of democracy. And all because you lost.

Yours is the truly fascist view that the democratic process is only there to help you achieve your aims and once it fails to do that it should be discarded. The view of tyrants and the sorts of scum that support them. You would clearly be happy in a black shirt.
    U OK Hun?
    The issue is that because the extreme Remainers have twisted and schemed to delay and prevent Brexit the perception has become that a revote is just part of that attempt to frustrate the people’s vote.

If there had been collaboration and the ultimate are deal had been poor then you might have had a moral argument for a deal vs remain vote.

But your ilk has pissed that away
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    JohnO said:

Con 40 +3
    Lab 24
    LD 15 -1
    BXP 10 -2

Well, I guess that settles any question about the Monday vote at least.

• Options
    GIN1138 said:

nico67 said:

What’s worse for Corbyn , the Tories going into an election after Brexit of before.

Difficult decision .

The longer Labour stops people having an election the bigger Con's lead will get.
    but the lead will be essentially transient until the campaign starts, so yeah, the Labour leadership should ideally hold their nerve and block the election for as long as possible.
  • Options

If Tories had any sense, they'd lie to pollsters at this point! Tory poll leads reduce the prospects of an election substantially.

(Shhh.... Those saying they are voting Brexit Party are really.....)
  • Options
    stodge said:

stodge said:

Seriously?

How is the anger to be sustained with time? Answer, it won't. The opposition simply have to wait it out for now. As it becomes clear Johnson has no answers, his support will start to drain away.

All the indications at the moment are that by keeping Boris in power and playing games, the opposition are only strengthening his hand.

He has a failsafe excuse for everything that happens now. To get this done, I need an election. This has happened because we haven’t got a majority and the opposition won’t allow me to have an election. I would do that, but I can’t because I need an election.

I don’t think it will have the effect you hope it will have.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,590
    geoffw said:

Lord Panic at McDonnell's? What will they be cooking up?
    Irish stew?
  • Options

Imagine the panic round at any Labour MP with a majority under 15,000.....
    Not really. Opinium implies that majorities up to circa 6,500 would be at risk. For the latest Yougov , the figure would be circa 5,000.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,154
    Charles said:

DougSeal said:

Noo said:

Noo said:

Noo said:

They will just as likely vote for extreme left wing parties. Anyway you are the last person to complain. It is already well established that you see democracy as nothing more than means to an end. Once again you only like democracy when you are winning.
    What is "well-established" is that I see democracy as a process, not a frozen point in time. I've don't shy away from the view that we should remain in the EU through a referendum or an election. Last time I checked, those were part of the democratic process.
    Not until you fulfil the instruction of the first referendum. Until then you are just making excuses and ignoring the democratic process.
    There we go. Your view of democracy is that a fixed point in time is holy. That it binds us to future actions even if the majority no longer want it. Consent given cannot be revoked.

Utter fucking bullshit from you. You really are a disgusting turd. Any argument you can make no matter how ludicrous to try and support your hatred of democracy. And all because you lost.

Yours is the truly fascist view that the democratic process is only there to help you achieve your aims and once it fails to do that it should be discarded. The view of tyrants and the sorts of scum that support them. You would clearly be happy in a black shirt.
    U OK Hun?
    The issue is that because the extreme Remainers have twisted and schemed to delay and prevent Brexit the perception has become that a revote is just part of that attempt to frustrate the people’s vote.

If there had been collaboration and the ultimate are deal had been poor then you might have had a moral argument for a deal vs remain vote.

A better class of HYUFD....
  • Options
    And make sure they're seen to be blocking it. Purge any Labour MPs that argue for an election. Replace them with candidates of the calibre and purity of thought of Salma Yaqoob, Shaista Aziz, Ali Milani and Jo Bird. Hold the line Labour, hold the line.
  • Options

stodge said:

Seriously?

No, the best hope for those who aren't Conservatives is to grasp the fight front-on just as was done when May had a 25% lead in the polls.

As others have said, this isn't 2017 and for all I dislike him, I happily concede Johnson is a far more effective campaigner than May.

The Opposition needs to pick its moment which clearly isn't now.

• Options
    edited October 2019
    Charles said:

DougSeal said:

Noo said:

Noo said:

Noo said:

U OK Hun?

You’ve never offered anything that brings the country together, it’s your Tory brexit or no deal first objective look after the Tory party backers, second objective look after tories third objective go back to number one
  • Options
    Andrew said:

JohnO said:

Con 40 +3
    Lab 24
    LD 15 -1
    BXP 10 -2

Well, I guess that settles any question about the Monday vote at least.

But Corbyn did vote for an election in April 2017 when the Tory lead was 24%.
  • Options
    stodge said:

stodge said:

Seriously?

Johnson has an evergreen answer: An Election.

Its an answer to literally everything.
  • Options
    stodge said:

stodge said:

Seriously?

As others have said, this isn't 2017 and for all I dislike him, I happily concede Johnson is a far more effective campaigner than May.

He is also far more evil - downright sinister.
  • Options
    stodge said:

stodge said:

Seriously?

The Opposition needs to pick its moment which clearly isn't now.

The longer it cowers the more damage will be done to the opposition. If in 3 months the gap is even bigger then what do you propose? Keep cowering until 2022?
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    SunnyJim said:

The UK Air Defence system will love that.
    If it turns ou the secret to defeat the UK airforce is to have some wind turbines in your country then the UK airforce is pretty shit.
  • Options

All the indications at the moment are that by keeping Boris in power and playing games, the opposition are only strengthening his hand.

He has a failsafe excuse for everything that happens now. To get this done, I need an election. This has happened because we haven’t got a majority and the opposition won’t allow me to have an election. I would do that, but I can’t because I need an election.

Perhaps but there comes a point when Boris has to stop whingeing and complaining and deal with the hand May dealt him and he has dealt himself.

It's not the job of the Opposition to make life easy for the Government and at the moment the Opposition has a modicum of control. If Boris thinks he can't govern, he can always resign.

If he hasn't got the numbers perhaps he should build some bridges to get the numbers but that doesn't work for him - he wants a majority and a flock of sheep in parliament who will go wherever he tells them.

• Options
    Alistair said:

SunnyJim said:

The UK Air Defence system will love that.
    If it turns ou the secret to defeat the UK airforce is to have some wind turbines in your country then the UK airforce is pretty shit.
    Some wind turbines that [blades excepting] aren't moving even!
  • Options

The longer it cowers the more damage will be done to the opposition. If in 3 months the gap is even bigger then what do you propose? Keep cowering until 2022?

Presumably you'd like us to accede to the election and watch Johnson get his landslide. That might be the present - it might not be the future.

We'll see.

• Options
    nichomar said:

Charles said:

DougSeal said:

Noo said:

Noo said:

Noo said:

U OK Hun?

You’ve never offered anything that brings the country together, it’s your Tory brexit or no deal first objective look after the Tory party backers, second objective look after tories third objective go back to number one
    No s**t its Tory Brexit or No Deal, we have a Tory government. So which do you want?

Whichever you choose isn't locked in forever, if another party wins the next election they can change things.
  • Options
    stodge said:

Presumably you'd like us to accede to the election and watch Johnson get his landslide. That might be the present - it might not be the future.

We'll see.

Shout this message from the rooftops, stodge. Make the whole country know that its you and only you that are stopping Brexit, and a functioning parliament. OWN IT, sister.
  • Options
    Whilst I agree with @stodge that Boris's support will ebb away as he gets tangled up in reality and has to shaft more of his current coalition, I don't think that means Labour should try to delay an election. The reason is the mismatch of timescales: I don't think they can avoid an election for long enough to allow Boris to start reaping the unpopularity inherent in his positioning. Instead Labour are likely to go backwards in the short-term, with their absurd position on Brexit, which pleases no-one, and their laughable demand for an election 'real soon, but not yet'. Better from their point of view to bite the bullet, take the hit, and then get on with their most urgent task of ditching Corbyn ASAP. Then they might start to recover, provided they are not too bonkers in choosing his replacement.
  • Options
    stodge said:

We'll see.

I'm fine either way. The longer you leave the election the bigger the landslide I expect and Corbyn isn't PM so there's no harm waiting in my eyes.

I think rejecting the poll in September was a terrible mistake by Labour and the damage is already done. Rejecting it again now will be another self-inflicted error.
  • Options

nichomar said:

Charles said:

DougSeal said:

Noo said:

Noo said:

Noo said:

U OK Hun?
    The issue is that because the extreme Remainers have twisted and schemed to delay and prevent Brexit the perception has become that a revote is just part of that attempt to frustrate the people’s vote

No s**t its Tory Brexit or No Deal, we have a Tory government. So which do you want?

Whichever you choose isn't locked in forever, if another party wins the next election they can change things.
  • Options

stodge said:

We'll see.

Shout this message from the rooftops, stodge. Make the whole country know that its you and only you that are stopping Brexit, and a functioning parliament. OWN IT, sister.
    The way the polls are going, I might be the only person left not voting for Boris by 2022.
  • Options
    stodge said:

Perhaps but there comes a point when Boris has to stop whingeing and complaining and deal with the hand May dealt him and he has dealt himself.

It's not the job of the Opposition to make life easy for the Government and at the moment the Opposition has a modicum of control. If Boris thinks he can't govern, he can always resign.

If he hasn't got the numbers perhaps he should build some bridges to get the numbers but that doesn't work for him - he wants a majority and a flock of sheep in parliament who will go wherever he tells them.

Not helpful if that is what the voters want too.....
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    nichomar said:

How can anyone vote for a man that only twelve months ago said that no conservative PM could put a boarder down the Irish Sea and then does exactly that and then claim he is a genius is beyond me, but I suppose it no longer matters it was always about the Tory part prospects fuck everybody else it’s our god given right to be in power.

He said that? You should lodger complaint.
  • Options

Whilst I agree with @stodge that Boris's support will ebb away as he gets tangled up in reality and has to shaft more of his current coalition, I don't think that means Labour should try to delay an election. The reason is the mismatch of timescales: I don't think they can avoid an election for long enough to allow Boris to start reaping the unpopularity inherent in his positioning. Instead Labour are likely to go backwards in the short-term, with their absurd position on Brexit, which pleases no-one, and their laughable demand for an election 'real soon, but not yet'. Better from their point of view to bite the bullet, take the hit, and then get on with their most urgent task of ditching Corbyn ASAP. Then they might start to recover, provided they are not too bonkers in choosing his replacement.

How long are you suggesting it will take before Johnson begins to reap the whirlwind?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,106
    nico67 said:

What’s worse for Corbyn , the Tories going into an election after Brexit of before.

Difficult decision .

After. Before has its problems, the Tories could clean up the Brexit vote and keep Tory remain voters satisfied with some kind of deal, but it at least has the chance of BXP spoiling the Tory party, and the inherent strength of the Labour brand plus the hope of Corbyn repeating his campaigning skills of last time, resulting in either mitigating the bad result, or who knows even preventing a Tory win. That may not be considered likely, but it has a chance.

Conversely, if the election takes place after Brexit what harm is there for angry Remain voters in voting for the most passionately remain party, the LDs? The Tories will already have achieved a terrible thing, off the back of Labour rebel votes no less, so more chance someone decides they can punish Labour?

• Options
    edited October 2019

stodge said:

We'll see.

Tories only ever worry about their own they don’t give a shit about anybody else, the shame is that this clown in no 10 would be toast with a half decent opposition leader. The tories are clearly going to trash all the regulations on employment etc and ensure their backers and themselves make a fortune while you leavers celebrate taking back control with an electoral system that is a joke.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,027
    Scott_P said:
    Ah, 50% in the polls. Those were the days.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

nichomar said:

He said that? You should lodger complaint.
    As it's Boris, you'll no doubt be saying there was a sign "No Blacks, no dogs, no Irish"
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Charles said:

DougSeal said:

Noo said:

Noo said:

Noo said:

U OK Hun?

A better class of HYUFD....
    Nope just saying that Remainers have dug their own grave.
  • Options

Indeed, Richard, as a Lib Dem I would welcome the implosion of Labour but the truth is the centre and centre-left needs to get its act together to mount and effective challenge to Johnson and if we need to take a defeat that's how it might have to be and come back to the battlefield in 2024 or early 2025.

I do think Johnson's coalition will break down more swiftly once he is in Government as all the promises and commitments he has made come back to haunt him and unlike now he will have nowhere to hide and no one else to blame.

That doesn't mean (before I'm jumped on by the pro-Johnson brigade) that I want the country to fail or do badly outside the EU but I am very concerned the promises Johnson has made and the clear commitment in his WA to weaken environmental protection and workers' rights will cause a lot of problems for some people.

I don't like him, I don't trust him and I think he is more interested in taking power for and unto himself than he is running the country.

I didn't often agree with Margaret Thatcher but I never thought she was ever doing other than what she thought was right - I disagreed vehemently on the means but not on the ends.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,027
    nichomar said:

stodge said:

We'll see.

Tories only ever worry about their own they don’t give a shit about anybody else, the shame is that this clown in no 10 would be toast with a half decent opposition leader. The tories are clearly going to trash all the regulations on employment etc and ensure their backers and themselves make a fortune while you leavers celebrate taking back control with an electoral system that is a joke.
    You forgot feast of the firstborns. The top priority of an incoming majority Tory government.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

Charles said:

DougSeal said:

Noo said:

Noo said:

Noo said:

U OK Hun?

I‘m not in public life, but if you want to see what I do to try and “bring the country together” have a look at wwe.thefore.org
  • Options

What do the voters want? The WA - hardly. May's WA - nope. They just want it "over with" - the Overwithers now run the country. They are tired and they want this done.

Doesn't make them right.

It's also my experience tired people will agree to anything if the conditions are right and will run to anyone who promises an end to it whatever that end actually means.

• Options
    nichomar said:

It's not particularly inexplicable (nor even necessarily mean much, given the examples we've seen of polling high marks) - a large number of people think Boris is able or trying to deliver what they want. Whether what he is offering is what they want or even a good thing is a secondary issue, at present he has convinced enough people that despite his own flaws he is delivering or trying to deliver that.

The big question is simply how long he can keep that up, particularly as we know he has failed to deliver on a pretty major promise, and the longer he fails to deliver on it will it have an effect? So far, his failure to deliver has worked positively for him, in polling at least. Labour and co had better hope that does not continue or he really will smash them at a GE, and bottom line is we cannot avoid one of those for too much longer - not when every party in the House is on record saying they want want soon, even if they disagree on when.
  • Options
    SunnyJimSunnyJim Posts: 1,106
    Alistair said:

It is the interference with low level radar that is the issue Alistair, or rather coverage at low level.

• Options
    RobD said:

nichomar said:

stodge said:

We'll see.

You forgot feast of the firstborns. The top priority of an incoming majority Tory government.
    Anything is possible with Johnson
  • Options
    nichomar said:

stodge said:

We'll see.

Tories only ever worry about their own they don’t give a shit about anybody else
    That is so lazy, as lazy as thinking everyone who backs Labour is a marxist. Millions upon millions of people support both of them, they clearly believe their chosen side cares about more than just a narrow party clique, or base support, since both get more votes than merely from that base. The Tories' incompetence over the past years is pretty damning, and Boris is awful in my opinion, but pretending a lack of understanding why people might back either side, or that the people on that side are just self centred, essentially evil, is just a way of making ourselves feel better.
  • Options
    stodge said:

What do the voters want? The WA - hardly. May's WA - nope. They just want it "over with" - the Overwithers now run the country. They are tired and they want this done.

Doesn't make them right.

It's also my experience tired people will agree to anything if the conditions are right and will run to anyone who promises an end to it whatever that end actually means.

That's true, and bodes illl for us either way, especially since both Leave and Remain are currently peddling it, with 'Get Brexit Done' and 'Stop the madness' either outright slogans or accurate summations of the positions.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

nichomar said:

stodge said:

We'll see.

Tories only ever worry about their own they don’t give a shit about anybody else
    That is so lazy, as lazy as thinking everyone who backs Labour is a marxist. Millions upon millions of people support both of them, they clearly believe their chosen side cares about more than just a narrow party clique, or base support, since both get more votes than merely from that base. The Tories' incompetence over the past years is pretty damning, and Boris is awful in my opinion, but pretending a lack of understanding why people might back either side, or that the people on that side are just self centred, essentially evil, is just a way of making ourselves feel better.
    No, they really only care about their own and they only care about consoling the levers of power at any level. They need control of local government to make sure their paymasters get the planning consents they want and ant other benefits that accrue.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

RobD said:

nichomar said:

stodge said:

We'll see.

Anything is possible with Johnson
    Don't be silly - Boris is a firstborn, he wouldn't harm them. It's the last borns that are at risk. More tender.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Scott_P said:
    Ah, 50% in the polls. Those were the days.
    If Corbyn keeps hiding behind the sofa we could see it again by next Spring.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    nichomar said:

kle4 said:

nichomar said:

stodge said:

We'll see.

No, they really only care about their own and they only care about consoling the levers of power at any level. They need control of local government to make sure their paymasters get the planning consents they want and ant other benefits that accrue.
    That's absolute bollocks, and proves my point that you are just trying to make yourself feel better but making an entire mass of people evil.

And I must say I feel very bad for planning officers up and down this country. People are so quick to declare, so easily, that the entire system is completely corrupt at every level, from officer to member.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Well quite. But the local elections that year showed that there was at least something in the huge Tory leads.

If we enter a crazy world where polling day was the first day of the campaign, I have no doubt that May would be sitting on a majority of 60+ right now.

The campaign was what did for her. And yes many polls still got the result wrong, but they had tightened come Election Day).
  • Options
    Labour should come to its senses and realise that taking no-deal off the table is actually their call.
    stodge said:

Doesn't make them right.

Yeah, right. They've been worn down. Who did that?
  • Options
    nunuonenunuone Posts: 1,138
    kinabalu said:

GIN1138 said:

Quite possibly.

You have to be living on Mars for the last few years not to know him.

The people know him, they will vote for him anyway.
  • Options
    Hulk getting stronger.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    Another impeachable offence:

I've always thought Trump would escape thanks to the Senate, but when the number of offences starts to rack up into the double figures it doesn't look so straightforward.

https://twitter.com/jaketapper/status/1188085028632367105
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    SunnyJim said:

Alistair said:

It is the interference with low level radar that is the issue Alistair, or rather coverage at low level.
    The Ministry of Defence are the most frequent objectors to wind turbine applications on land for this reason (and for interfering with rainfall radar when the Met Office were part of the Ministry of Defence), but I didn't think that offshore wind turbines were so much of a concern.
  • Options
    nunuone said:

kinabalu said:

GIN1138 said:

Quite possibly.

They know Boris Johnson, sure. Boris Johnson as Prime Minister is something new. So far enough people are liking him just fine. But can he keep that up? In a way it does not matter if we think he can or not - at the moment Labour at least have to play for time and hope he cannot, as they would be the ones who suffer from moving too quickly.
  • Options
    Andrew said:

I've always thought Trump would escape thanks to the Senate, but when the number of offences starts to rack up into the double figures it doesn't look so straightforward.

I am starting to revise my opinion of a Trump win in 2020. The man just seems to be a walking self-destruct mechanism.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,561
    geoffw said:

Labour should come to its senses

I think I’ve spotted a flaw in your reasoning...

And that, @nichomar is why people continue to support the wittering imbecile Johnson, however difficult it may be for us as non-Tory voters to accept.
  • Options
    geoffw said:

Labour should come to its senses and realise that taking no-deal off the table is actually their call.

stodge said:

Doesn't make them right.

Oh dear, it's back to the blame game. I'll blame the Leavers, you'll blame the Remainers and we'll go off round the same old tedious circle once again.

I'm not playing anymore and neither should you.

I would be happy to lave the EU with a WA and a future political and economic relationship which works for the people of this country. I don't think we have this at the moment - May's WA was better than Johnson's and with hindsight could and perhaps should have been accepted.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,561

SunnyJim said:

Alistair said:

The Ministry of Defence are the most frequent objectors to wind turbine applications on land for this reason (and for interfering with rainfall radar when the Met Office were part of the Ministry of Defence), but I didn't think that offshore wind turbines were so much of a concern.
    Are you saying it was only the onshore ones that made waves?
  • Options

Andrew said:

I am starting to revise my opinion of a Trump win in 2020. The man just seems to be a walking self-destruct mechanism.
    He does seem utterly convinced he can say and do anything he likes, without a care as to law or procedure. So far it has worked for him.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

nunuone said:

kinabalu said:

GIN1138 said:

Quite possibly.

They know Boris Johnson, sure. Boris Johnson as Prime Minister is something new. So far enough people are liking him just fine. But can he keep that up? In a way it does not matter if we think he can or not - at the moment Labour at least have to play for time and hope he cannot, as they would be the ones who suffer from moving too quickly.
    OTOH Labour will be the ones who suffer from moving too slow too.

If Labour are not for taking the Tories out of office what are they for? If Labour don't think they can win an election and publicly acknowledge that then who is going to flock to them? There's a reason the Lib Dems were most successful when opposing the Tories with a "Winning Here" tagline.
  • Options

kle4 said:

nunuone said:

kinabalu said:

GIN1138 said:

Quite possibly.

If Labour are not for taking the Tories out of office what are they for? If Labour don't think they can win an election and publicly acknowledge that then who is going to flock to them? There's a reason the Lib Dems were most successful when opposing the Tories with a "Winning Here" tagline.
    There are risks to either approach, certainly. Banking on 'letting him stew' working is implicitly giving him a green light for whatever chaos he wants to try for in the meantime. But voters can shift quickly and practice selective memory of how we got to places, so long as they like the present position - another reason Labour's leadership do nto seem especially worried.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    The interest about how Mays huge lead disappeared is that it’s very unlikely you’d get a swathe of Tory to Labour switchers .

So polls that showed her with 20 + leads clearly had both sampling and turnout errors.

Not sure the same will happen this time but still on the face of it Labour are closer to Johnson than they were to May .

• Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

nunuone said:

kinabalu said:

GIN1138 said:

Quite possibly.

There are risks to either approach, certainly. Banking on 'letting him stew' working is implicitly giving him a green light for whatever chaos he wants to try for in the meantime. But voters can shift quickly and practice selective memory of how we got to places, so long as they like the present position - another reason Labour's leadership do nto seem especially worried.
    It also gives him a "get out of jail free" card in that anything that he can't do or goes wrong can be blamed on Parliamentary intransigence and the opposition hiding from the voters.

There's no reason to assume he will get less popular or Labour more popular. Cowardice is not an attractive trait.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    stodge said:

geoffw said:

stodge said:

Doesn't make them right.

Oh dear, it's back to the blame game. I'll blame the Leavers, you'll blame the Remainers and we'll go off round the same old tedious circle once again.

I would be happy to lave the EU with a WA and a future political and economic relationship which works for the people of this country. I don't think we have this at the moment - May's WA was better than Johnson's and with hindsight could and perhaps should have been accepted.
    Okay, blaming doesn't get anyone anywhere.
    And no-one could disagree with your penultimate sentence. But reasonable people can disagree with your last sentence. The question is: what is the best way forward now? Get the WAIB passed and move swiftly on to the future relationship or continue to delay and prevaricate, and call an election?
  • Options
    FenmanFenman Posts: 1,047
    Come on. Let's leave. Can't wait for all that GM food and chlorinated chicken.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

SunnyJim said:

Alistair said:

Are you saying it was only the onshore ones that made waves?
    The offshore ones make smaller waves...

https://youtu.be/MMiKyfd6hA0
  • Options
    geoffw said:

And no-one could disagree with your penultimate sentence. But reasonable people can disagree with your last sentence. The question is: what is the best way forward now? Get the WAIB passed and move swiftly on to the future relationship or continue to delay and prevaricate, and call an election?

First, thanks you for the kind word.

In response to your question, I'd say both and neither by which I mean:

If I were advising Corbyn, Swinson and Sturgeon (and the other opposition party leaders) I'd say it was time to take Brexit off the table as a political football.

Offer to support the WA (while noting its issues vis-a-vis Northern Ireland) and suggesting re-enforcing commitments to environmental protection that were in the May WA. Get the WA passed and enter transition on 31/1/20.

Offer to provide negotiators for a cross-party approach to the PD and the future trade deal with the EU while acknowledging the process may take into 2021 to complete and, once agreed, agree to facilitate its passage through Parliament.

In exchange, Boris does not seek an election until May 2022 and concentrates on the other issues affecting the country which can perhaps be approached in a more cross-party and less adversarial atmosphere.

In other words, a lot less heat and a lot more light as we move away from Brexit toward the other issues such as social care which may require a genuine consensual approach.
  • Options
    geoffw said:

stodge said:

geoffw said:

stodge said:

Doesn't make them right.

Referendum between the May and Johnson deals.

1. It's not a repeat of the 2016 referendum and neither result would overturn the first referendum.
    2. Both deals avoid the disruption of leaving without a deal.
    3. The deals have their merits and demerits - there's a genuine choice between them.
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578
    nico67 said:

The interest about how Mays huge lead disappeared is that it’s very unlikely you’d get a swathe of Tory to Labour switchers .

So polls that showed her with 20 + leads clearly had both sampling and turnout errors.

Not sure the same will happen this time but still on the face of it Labour are closer to Johnson than they were to May .

Indeed. It's surprising that Tories on here are so gung ho about an election - they lost a much bigger lead than the one they now have during the 2017 campaign. And who's to say it could not happen again?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

nico67 said:

Difficult decision .

After. Before has its problems, the Tories could clean up the Brexit vote and keep Tory remain voters satisfied with some kind of deal, but it at least has the chance of BXP spoiling the Tory party, and the inherent strength of the Labour brand plus the hope of Corbyn repeating his campaigning skills of last time, resulting in either mitigating the bad result, or who knows even preventing a Tory win. That may not be considered likely, but it has a chance.

Conversely, if the election takes place after Brexit what harm is there for angry Remain voters in voting for the most passionately remain party, the LDs? The Tories will already have achieved a terrible thing, off the back of Labour rebel votes no less, so more chance someone decides they can punish Labour?

Before but for a different reason - the outlet for remainers will be LDs, squeezing the Labour vote massively. After Brexit, the LD's will not be as attractive since many people will have given up on the outcome.
  • Options

nico67 said:

Indeed. It's surprising that Tories on here are so gung ho about an election - they lost a much bigger lead than the one they now have during the 2017 campaign. And who's to say it could not happen again?
    Its no longer that much bigger a lead!
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Wow, Ruth Davidson has gone with "I have not as yet broken the MSP code so I'm fine despite my job providing a near unlimited number of oppertunities to break the code"
  • Options
    SunnyJimSunnyJim Posts: 1,106
    edited October 2019

Corbyn in 2017 picked up huge numbers of votes from millennials and remainers who pinned their hopes on him for a reversal of the referendum result. Illusions have since been shattered.

May simultaneously turned swathes of older Tories away with her care plans which were (wrongly in my view) turned in to Dementia Tax. Not a mistake that will be repeated.

She was also utterly dreadful in the campaign. Nobody would accuse Boris of not being a good campaigner.

I think 2017 was the perfect storm for Corbyn and the Tories managed to shoot both their feet off.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    Scott_P said:
    One step away from 'Tomorrow belongs to me'
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 4,001
    Scott_P said:
    "It's time for real change" is a very strong message.

Without explicitly saying the words, it manages to convey to leavers in deprived parts of the UK that while Boris may well deliver Brexit, he won't deliver the change they're looking for. It will be business as usual with the Conservatives, austerity, tax cuts for the rich, etc.
  • Options
    Prior to the 2017 most polls were showing leads in the region of 16-19% with just 2 exceptional polls at 21%.

Recently there's been a number of poll leads 13-15%

There's not that big of a gap between 13-15% and 16-19% and if Labour continue to hide behind the sofa it wouldn't surprise me if we see 16-19% leads before much longer. What's the next step then, geniuses?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    I'd go for 'the future is ours to make'.

'It's time for real change' is bog standard, a near universal slogan for election time for opposition, with the minor adjustment that other promises for change were not 'real' I guess. The other is an invitation for people as a movement to deliver change, or even to deliver not change if they want as it is geniusly non specific, while the future reference makes it immediately seem more epochal a choice.
  • Options

nico67 said:

No but the Tories will have two major disadvantages which they did not have in 2017

* they will have to campaign in favour of Johnson's deal, which will come under detailed scrutiny and will be found to have many faults;

* Johnson's character will become an issue, many people, women in particular, will recoil from supporting him for reasons entirely unrelated to Brexit. My wife is a case in point - she was quite supportive of Theresa May, who she thought was doing her best in difficult circumstances. But her opinion of Johnson cannot be repeated on a family programme, and that is due to his attitude to women.

• Options

Scott_P said:
    One step away from 'Tomorrow belongs to me'
    Tomorrow belongs to 'us' is an unspoken slogan behind any youth campaign - it'd make for a decent enough slogan were it not for the song!
  • Options
    SunnyJim said:

Corbyn in 2017 picked up huge numbers of votes from millennials and remainers who pinned their hopes on him for a reversal of the referendum result. Illusions have since been shattered.

May simultaneously turned swathes of older Tories away with her care plans which were (wrongly in my view) turned in to Dementia Tax. Not a mistake that will be repeated.

She was also utterly dreadful in the campaign. Nobody would accuse Boris of not being a good campaigner.

I think 2017 was the perfect storm for Corbyn and the Tories managed to shoot both their feet off.
    While that is true the assumption that the Tories won't repeat the mistakes they made seems odd when the assumption is also that Labour will make the same mistakes, and get picked up for them this time.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

But if it costs more to run a natural gas power station than to build renewables your scheme would cost the consumers more.
    Also burning gas does produce CO2.

Natural gas is still the best of the bunch to use when renewables go down:

Pounds of CO2 emitted per million British thermal units (Btu) of energy for various fuels

Coal (anthracite) 228.6
    Coal (bituminous) 205.7
    Coal (lignite) 215.4
    Coal (subbituminous) 214.3
    Diesel fuel and heating oil 161.3
    Gasoline (without ethanol)
    Propane 139.0
    Natural gas 117.0
    For power generation we tend to use kg/kWh - using natural gas you have to define the technology, CCGT or OCGT.

We need decarbonised despatchable power. Natural gas plus CCS - either post-combustion on a conventional CCGT or pre-combustion with hydrogen as an energy storage vector is likely to be the way we do it in the UK.
    CCS with current technology is basically a waste of time and energy. It in no way justifies keeping coal plants open, and isn’t worth adding (either from an economic or CO2 reduction standpoint) to the CCGT plants which will be needed in the short to medium term.

At a later point, when there is a surplus of renewables at very low to zero marginal cost, and when the technologies have matured, it will make a great deal of sense to produce artificial hydrocarbons from CO2 feedstock for both energy storage and chemical industry precursors but that’s one to two decades away.
    And of course by then, the other storage technologies will have improved considerably, too.
    Pointless obsession with C02 while a)China+India build more and more coal plants weekly and b)Uk emits a tiny fraction of the worlds C02.
    Why make the grid more expensive, unstable and inefficient when the primary goal(if achieved) will make ZERO difference??
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

nico67 said:

No but the Tories will have two major disadvantages which they did not have in 2017

* they will have to campaign in favour of Johnson's deal, which will come under detailed scrutiny and will be found to have many faults;

* Johnson's character will become an issue, many people, women in particular, will recoil from supporting him for reasons entirely unrelated to Brexit. My wife is a case in point - she was quite supportive of Theresa May, who she thought was doing her best in difficult circumstances. But her opinion of Johnson cannot be repeated on a family programme, and that is due to his attitude to women.

Does he have a notable and discreditable "attitude" to women? I realise he is pro shagging them, but absent any evidence that they are not pro being shagged, so what?
  • Options
    sirclive said:

kle4 said:

nico67 said:

Difficult decision .

Before but for a different reason - the outlet for remainers will be LDs, squeezing the Labour vote massively. After Brexit, the LD's will not be as attractive since many people will have given up on the outcome.
    An interesting theory, one which many people hold. I think Labour will hold up before Brexit by people holding their noses and voting tactically, otherwise Brexit might happen. I just don't think remainers will shoot themselves in the foot by mass voting for the LDs.
  • Options
    Westminster voting intention:

CON: 40% (+3)
    LAB: 24% (-)
    LDEM: 15% (-1)
    BREX: 10% (-2)

via @OpiniumResearch, 23 - 25 Oct
    Chgs. w/ 17 Oct
  • Options
    eggegg Posts: 1,749

nico67 said:

But if there isn’t vote for an election on Monday what is Boris plan for Tuesday and the rest of the week. 😟
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

nico67 said:

Does he have a notable and discreditable "attitude" to women? I realise he is pro shagging them, but absent any evidence that they are not pro being shagged, so what?
    Cheating, abandonment of children, living with someone young enough to be his daughter.

And he is a compulsive liar - he seems unable to stop himself, as when he turned round and told a TV camera that there were no media in the room or that he had sent a photocopy of the Benn Act to Brussels when the document actually sent was in a different font and type size. If he lies about trivial issues such as this can anyone trust anything he says?
  • Options
    eggegg Posts: 1,749

Westminster voting intention:

CON: 40% (+3)
    LAB: 24% (-)
    LDEM: 15% (-1)
    BREX: 10% (-2)

via @OpiniumResearch, 23 - 25 Oct
    Chgs. w/ 17 Oct

I’ve been piling on December election all day, I still think it’s going through on Monday.
This discussion has been closed.