Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » If there is no General Election then Bassetlaw could be the ne

Comments

• Options

Greetings from Japan, comrades. What a time to be here. Absolutely unbelievable. We’re in an Irish pub currently full of Japanese who have totally ignored the game, except for wondering why three English blokes are hugging each other and almost in tears. What a game, what a performance. I don’t think an England side has ever played better. Just magnificent!!!!

I do believe this has been the best World Cup ever so far...Japan is an amazing host.
    It is an amazing country to visit
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,890

That was the best england performance i have ever watched.

I think this is true, which is galling if you grew up rather sniffy and dismissive of them.

We were just outclassed.

(Goes off to cry in a corner).
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,192
    '

Greetings from Japan, comrades. What a time to be here. Absolutely unbelievable. We’re in an Irish pub currently full of Japanese who have totally ignored the game, except for wondering why three English blokes are hugging each other and almost in tears. What a game, what a performance. I don’t think an England side has ever played better. Just magnificent!!!!

I do believe this has been the best World Cup ever so far...Japan is an amazing host.
    And a decent rugby team too.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

You going to the final?

No, here for work. Flying home Thursday.

• Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,669

MaxPB said:

You going to the final?

Ah man. Would have been great to be there.
  • Options

I think this is true, which is galling if you grew up rather sniffy and dismissive of them.

We were just outclassed.

Fair play - Chwarae teg
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,044

MaxPB said:

You going to the final?

Go on, extend for a few days. It’s the World Cup Final!
  • Options

It’s great, but reports of Japanese conversion to rugby are greatly exaggerated, I think.

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,040
    edited October 2019
    tlg86 said:

Nigelb said:

I couldn’t even pick a MOTM in that.
    Fantastic all round performance.

I thought Underhill and Itoje were brilliant.
    Itoje is like an octopus !

Incredible game despite a TMO more bias than bollocks to.brexit bercow.

And he goes this next week.

Cannot come soon enough.

The pompous, bullying, pro remain speaker has demeaned his office on a scale I could not imagine of any speaker
    The problem was that he only broke convention once, and that was to let the house decide. And that favoured the remain side.
    The time he could have done it, with the reasoning that the "letter" had been sent he chose not to - I'd been reserving judgement up to then but clearly that was bias, he could have applied the same reasoning as before and "let the house decide"
  • Options

We were just outclassed.

It’s better to be beaten by the better side on the day, than to lose a scrappy match you know you should really have won.
  • Options
    Cannot see how England lose this next week
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,222

That was the best england performance i have ever watched. England could and probably should have won by 25-30 points.

I didn't have Sky at the time so didn't see it, but I seem to remember their win in New Zealand when they held out with two players in the sin bin:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2003/jun/15/rugbyunion.newzealandrugbyunionteam
  • Options
    sirclive said:

Cannot see how England lose this next week

By playing against Wales.
  • Options

We were just outclassed.

Fair play - Chwarae teg
    I will be loudly supporting your boys tomorrow, Big G.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,184
    Couldn’t believe the number of (NZ) forward passes the world’s best referee appeared to miss. Genuinely surprising.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited October 2019
    Nigelb said:

kle4 said:

Mann's vote would have been critical. All starting to fall to bits reallyy.

Sadly Mr Meeks' response in pretty accurate - the lack of care for anything but Brexit, no matter the cost to other issues, is one of the reasons I turned away from it, and is causing a lot of damage.
    I was struck by one of our resident brexiteer’s remark yesterday ( @SunnyJim ?) that May’s deal would now pass with a large majority. What do people think ?
    Absolutely not! May's deal would be humiliated, it'd struggle to reach three-digits voting for it now. Who would back it?

The Tories 288 would almost all reject it now with Boris's Better Deal a better alternative to May's Crap Deal, the Tory whip would be against it and even those who were loyal to May's whip who still have the Tory whip would almost all be loyal to Boris's deal.

The unwhipped former Tories include a number who reject any Brexit like Grieve and co.

The SNP/LDs/PC/DUP would all be against.

Labour there may be a few like Kinnock to back it now but given it has zero chance of passing why would they break the whip even.

If for some reason it came back I'd expect it to be rejected something like 60 - 520
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Couldn’t believe the number of (NZ) forward passes the world’s best referee appeared to miss. Genuinely surprising.

Nigel Owens hates England.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,336
    edited October 2019

It’s great, but reports of Japanese conversion to rugby are greatly exaggerated, I think.

Rugby World Cup organisers said Japan's win over Scotland in the last of the pool games last Sunday at Yokohama attracted 53.7% peak audience share for the host broadcaster, representing a 54.8 million audience. That was bigger than the TV audience for soccer's 2002 World Cup final in Yokohama on NHK.

It was even bigger for the quarter final.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,127

Rugby World Cup organisers said Japan's win over Scotland in the last of the pool games last Sunday at Yokohama attracted 53.7% peak audience share for the host broadcaster, representing a 54.8 million audience.

That was bigger than the TV audience for soccer's 2002 World Cup final in Yokohama on NHK.
    The Japanese love to get behind the home team, without being converts of the sport, perhaps?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Nigel Owens.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,336
    edited October 2019
    Is it nige for the final if wales lose tomorrow? And if wales win, do we get the bias South African TMO?

To be fair though, the officials no where near as bad as the standard of cricket umpiring this summer.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,231
    Nigelb said:

tlg86 said:

Sandpit said:

Noooooooooo

Damn TMO, that’s twice now.
    It's not going to matter. England are utterly bossing this game.
    Have you learned nothing from the cricket ?

The one where New Zealand were robbed of the World Cup.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193
    Well that was a bloody good breakfast. Rugby wasn't bad either.......
  • Options
    SunnyJimSunnyJim Posts: 1,106

Cannot come soon enough.

The pompous, bullying, pro remain speaker has demeaned his office on a scale I could not imagine of any speaker

The reactions in the house next week should emphasize just how partisan and biased he has been as a speaker.

The silence on one side versus enthusiastic praise on the other is not a sign of competence in someone whose role should be executed as an impartial arbiter.

He has been terrible but fortunately there is an opportunity for the next incumbent, and as a Tory i'd be happy with Hoyle, to restore the respect to a role that has been debased over the last few years.
  • Options
    SunnyJim said:

Cannot come soon enough.

The reactions in the house next week should emphasize just how partisan and biased he has been as a speaker.

The silence on one side versus enthusiastic praise on the other is not a sign of competence in someone whose role should be executed as an impartial arbiter.

He has been terrible but fortunately there is an opportunity for the next incumbent, and as a Tory i'd be happy with Hoyle, to restore the respect to a role that has been debased over the last few years.
    +1

If MPs collectively want to restore some sanity to politics, they’ll choose a mild-mannered and impartial umpire in Lindsay Hoyle.

My worry is that, if they don’t, we’ll quickly go down the American route of having partisan Speakers and Judges.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:
    It’s FEWER seats, you turnip!
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,639
    edited October 2019
    Why the prediction of a Lab hold in Bassetlaw?

Leave got 68.3% there in 2016.

Mann was standing as a Leave supporting MP. The new candidate will be a supporter of Remain, standing in support of a party that is doing everything it can to frustrate Brexit.

Labour will select a Corbyn loyalist, with Mann having already tweeted that the selection shortlist is a stitch up.

The thread references Peterborough, but the Conservatives' polling is at twice its level at that time, while that of the Brexit Party has halved.

Everything points to a Conservative gain IMO.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,264
    MaxPB said:

Nigelb said:

Nigel Owens.
    It was dismal by Owens. He missed an absolutely massive one towards the end which could have been critical. In many ways he was lucky England won.
  • Options

We were just outclassed.

Fair play - Chwarae teg
    Diolch yn fawr
  • Options
    BBC front page: Arlene Foster to reaffirm DUP opposition to Brexit.

Big news, I thought. But no, the actual story is about their oppsition to the Brexit deal.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Sandpit said:

malcolmg said:
    It doesn't make any different in this context, therefore it is meaningless to complain about fewer/less, you turnip :)
  • Options
    FenmanFenman Posts: 1,047
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Sandpit said:

SunnyJim said:

Cannot come soon enough.

+1

If MPs collectively want to restore some sanity to politics, they’ll choose a mild-mannered and impartial umpire in Lindsay Hoyle.

My worry is that, if they don’t, we’ll quickly go down the American route of having partisan Speakers and Judges.
    The Speaker is not there to be impartial. He is there to speak for the interests of Parliament. John Bercow evidently has the support of MPs in his stances - unsurprisingly so when the executive is clueless, authoritarian and lacking any mandate for its approach.

A supine Speaker who rolls over before the government is exactly not what is required just now.
  • Options
    Does this put ben stokea for SPOTY in doubt?
  • Options
    All we need now is a thumping Saffer win tomorrow, and my weekend will be complete!
  • Options

Rugby World Cup organisers said Japan's win over Scotland in the last of the pool games last Sunday at Yokohama attracted 53.7% peak audience share for the host broadcaster, representing a 54.8 million audience. That was bigger than the TV audience for soccer's 2002 World Cup final in Yokohama on NHK.

It was even bigger for the quarter final.
    All desperate to see Scotland
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913
    Amazing if Wales lose tomorrow and England win, England would win the World Cup by defeating all Southern Hemisphere teams and without facing a single Six Nations side.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:
    Of course they wont. I am not sure Boris will achieve a majority but any idea the SNP will lose seats is just as daft as 142 majority
  • Options
    SunnyJim said:

Cannot come soon enough.

Bercow has been a great speaker, dragged it out of the 18th century and been entertaining.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

SunnyJim said:

Cannot come soon enough.

+1

The Speaker is not there to be impartial. He is there to speak for the interests of Parliament. John Bercow evidently has the support of MPs in his stances - unsurprisingly so when the executive is clueless, authoritarian and lacking any mandate for its approach.

A supine Speaker who rolls over before the government is exactly not what is required just now.
    So if the government had a majority then you're saying he should act in favour of the majority, since they make up "Parliament". No, you just support his stance because you're both on the same side.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    But of course, Corbyn doesn't believe YouGov. He's up for that election. Bring it on.

Jeremy......Jeremy? Wher've you gone Jeremy?
  • Options
    TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,662

We were just outclassed.

Fair play - Chwarae teg
    Diolch yn fawr
    We'll have none of that smut on here, thank you very much!
  • Options
    nunuonenunuone Posts: 1,138
    edited October 2019
    kle4 said:

BBC front page: Arlene Foster to reaffirm DUP opposition to Brexit.

Big news, I thought. But no, the actual story is about their oppsition to the Brexit deal.

Sometimes I think the DUP feel like they made a mistake backing Brexit, but cant admit it so just vote against every and any Brexit deal eventhough they dont support no deal either.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,031
    Mr. Jonathan, that'd be an interesting quirk.

If Wales reach the final, then only sides that voted to leave the EU would be in the final.

Mr. Meeks, the Speaker is meant to be for Parliament, as you say, but if half the House of Commons likes him and the other half does not, that does not speak of someone who is fair and even. He's partisan. And the umpire should not be biased for one side or the other.

Convention means exactly what he wants it to mean.
  • Options
    If Wales can win this World Cup is will vindicate my Dad’s old mate Barry P, who promised me on his life that Wales would win “in the next ten years”. Admittedly he said that in 1995.

Barry you mad Welshman, you did us a good un when you testified against my mother’s criminal associates. RIP.

#complicatedfamilyhistory
  • Options
    TudorRose said:

We were just outclassed.

Fair play - Chwarae teg
    Diolch yn fawr
    Do you even know what it means !!!!!!
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

SunnyJim said:

Cannot come soon enough.

Bercow has been a great speaker, dragged it out of the 18th century and been entertaining.
    I think he's taken it back well beyond the 18th Century. He was arguing about Dante with JRM last week....
  • Options
    nunuonenunuone Posts: 1,138
    kle4 said:

Sandpit said:

malcolmg said:
    It doesn't make any different in this context, therefore it is meaningless to complain about fewer/less, you turnip :)
    I think SNP will get less than 50
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Sandpit said:

malcolmg said:
    Of course it matters you silly boy, it is fake , lies , made up , bollox :D:#o:)<3>:)
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Amazing if Wales lose tomorrow and England win, England would win the World Cup by defeating all Southern Hemisphere teams and without facing a single Six Nations side.

That would really be something and highly unlikely to happen again, make it ultra special.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

SunnyJim said:

Cannot come soon enough.

+1

No. He evidently has the support of some MPs - and therein lies the problem. Every time he pleases/upsets some MPs they are the same ones; and that doesn't help Parliament in the slightest.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Sandpit said:

SunnyJim said:

Cannot come soon enough.

+1

So if the government had a majority then you're saying he should act in favour of the majority, since they make up "Parliament". No, you just support his stance because you're both on the same side.
    The usual nonsense from pb’s village idiot. The Speaker is there to look after Parliament’s interests. The screaming ab dabs are coming from those who want the executive to be allowed to steamroller Parliament. He was just as awkward for Theresa May (and the death cult supported his efforts then) and David Cameron moaned about how he tripped him up too. He appears sincerely to believe in letting Parliament hold the government to account. Good.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

malcolmg said:
    34 is less than 35 , get to specsavers
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

We will have to agree to disagree.

I do hope that if the Tories are returned with a majority after the next GE that Brecow hasn't poisoned the well to the extent that it is seen by the winners as legitimate to install a speaker deliberately chosen to 'queer the pitch'.

I'd like to see decency return to a parliament that has become a international laughing stock.

• Options

TudorRose said:

We were just outclassed.

Fair play - Chwarae teg
    Diolch yn fawr
    No idea, but it sounds dodgy....
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,603

Mann was standing as a Leave supporting MP. The new candidate will be a supporter of Remain, standing in support of a party that is doing everything it can to frustrate Brexit.

Labour will select a Corbyn loyalist, with Mann having already tweeted that the selection is a stitch up.

The thread references Peterborough, but the Conservatives' polling is at twice its level at that time, while that of the Brexit Party has halved.

This seat will be a real test of how Jezza plays on the doorsteps of North Midlands seats.

I've read that Tory strategists are surprised by how well Johnson is polling with blue collar workers in the North/Midlands. May be a false rumour, but fits a general feeling.

I can see it being very very tight.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

kle4 said:

Mann's vote would have been critical. All starting to fall to bits reallyy.

Sadly Mr Meeks' response in pretty accurate - the lack of care for anything but Brexit, no matter the cost to other issues, is one of the reasons I turned away from it, and is causing a lot of damage.
    I was struck by one of our resident brexiteer’s remark yesterday ( @SunnyJim ?) that May’s deal would now pass with a large majority. What do people think ?
    Absolutely not! May's deal would be humiliated, it'd struggle to reach three-digits voting for it now. Who would back it?

The Tories 288 would almost all reject it now with Boris's Better Deal a better alternative to May's Crap Deal, the Tory whip would be against it and even those who were loyal to May's whip who still have the Tory whip would almost all be loyal to Boris's deal.

The unwhipped former Tories include a number who reject any Brexit like Grieve and co.

The SNP/LDs/PC/DUP would all be against.

Labour there may be a few like Kinnock to back it now but given it has zero chance of passing why would they break the whip even.

If for some reason it came back I'd expect it to be rejected something like 60 - 520
    Would May vote for it?
  • Options
    TudorRose said:

TudorRose said:

We were just outclassed.

Fair play - Chwarae teg
    Diolch yn fawr
    It would be good if British people knew just a smattering of Welsh and Gaelic. They are languages native to these isles, after all.
  • Options
    TudorRose said:

TudorRose said:

We were just outclassed.

Fair play - Chwarae teg
    Diolch yn fawr
    Thank you very much in Welsh
  • Options
    nunuone said:

kle4 said:

Sandpit said:

malcolmg said:
    I think SNP will get less than 50
    very possible and still a big jump from 35, they would take that now I bet.
  • Options
    TudorRose said:

Sandpit said:

SunnyJim said:

Cannot come soon enough.

+1

No. He evidently has the support of some MPs - and therein lies the problem. Every time he pleases/upsets some MPs they are the same ones; and that doesn't help Parliament in the slightest.
    As John Bercow himself pointed out, Jacob Rees-Mogg has done a 180 degree turn in six months. We have the absurdity of seeing Leavers scream for less Parliamentary scrutiny for policies that Parliament is unpersuaded by. Just to state it shows the ridiculousness of their position.
  • Options
    SunnyJim said:

malcolmg said:

We will have to agree to disagree.

I do hope that if the Tories are returned with a majority after the next GE that Brecow hasn't poisoned the well to the extent that it is seen by the winners as legitimate to install a speaker deliberately chosen to 'queer the pitch'.

I'd like to see decency return to a parliament that has become a international laughing stock.

I doubt we will see that again, few honourable people in politics nowadays, spivs, chavs and con artists are de rigeur. Makes lawyers and estate agents look like honourable professions.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,144
    Going right back to the beginning of this thread, I've long thought that Leavers vs Remainers is akin to the Civil War's Roundheads vs Cavaliers, the echoes of which still resound, if today mainly in Ireland.

And congrats to England.
  • Options
    It feels like momentum is drifting away from Boris and/or his Deal.
  • Options

I've read that Tory strategists are surprised by how well Johnson is polling with blue collar workers in the North/Midlands. May be a false rumour, but fits a general feeling.

I had some (a lot) of reservations about how Johnson would go down with voters who perhaps weren't familiar with him which is pretty much everywhere outside London.

I thought his slightly pompous, rambling, upper class buffoon act would go down like a cup of cold sick but the opposite seems to be true.

I think the younger generation find him funny and the older generation find him a breath of fresh air from typical politicians.

Which is fine up until the point the kids don't find him funny anymore and the older crowd realise that quirky doesn't always mean different.

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,031
    Mr. Meeks, if the Speaker's consistently opposing one side of the House that isn't an argument in favour of his alleged objectivity.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,904
    edited October 2019

Labour will select a Corbyn loyalist, with Mann having already tweeted that the selection is a stitch up.

This seat will be a real test of how Jezza plays on the doorsteps of North Midlands seats.

I can see it being very very tight.
    I agree. Assuming competent candidates (Labour select tomorrow while I don't believe the Conservatives have selected yet), then if Labour hold this, it will only be thanks to the Brexit Party. I may have a small flutter on the Conservatives taking it.
  • Options
    SunnyJim said:

I had some (a lot) of reservations about how Johnson would go down with voters who perhaps weren't familiar with him which is pretty much everywhere outside London.

I thought his slightly pompous, rambling, upper class buffoon act would go down like a cup of cold sick but the opposite seems to be true.

I think the younger generation find him funny and the older generation find him a breath of fresh air from typical politicians.

Which is fine up until the point the kids don't find him funny anymore and the older crowd realise that quirky doesn't always mean different.

I’m unconvinced.
    Just as Trump would have lost against anyone but Hillary, Johnson is unappealing against anyone but Corbyn.
  • Options
    SunnyJim said:

Boris has managed to continue the trick of being an anti-politician in an aage of anti-politics. Even whist being Prime Minister! Quite a trick.
  • Options

It feels like momentum is drifting away from Boris and/or his Deal.

You could be right and labour should vote for a GE and take the chance
  • Options

TudorRose said:

TudorRose said:

We were just outclassed.

Fair play - Chwarae teg
    Diolch yn fawr
    It would be good if British people knew just a smattering of Welsh and Gaelic. They are languages native to these isles, after all.
    So are many of the regional dialects, but alas many of those have effectively been killed off by Estuary English already.
  • Options
    SunnyJim said:

Fools are easily pleased in the short term at least
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,144
    SunnyJim said:

May was doing OK until the election and she was, even or somewhat because she hid away, challenged. Boris doesn't, from his Tory leadership campaign, 'do' challenging situations.
  • Options
    TudorRose said:

TudorRose said:

TudorRose said:

We were just outclassed.

Fair play - Chwarae teg
    Diolch yn fawr
    So are many of the regional dialects, but alas many of those have effectively been killed off by Estuary English already.
    What’s Yorkshire for whataboutery?
  • Options
    How long does a Labour leadership contest need to last? That’s one of the metrics we need to start thinking about.
  • Options
    Astonishing revelation in a new biography:

"Theresa May was a 'terrible campaigner' whose 'inflexible and introverted character' caused the Tories to lose their majority at the 2017 election, a new biography claims"

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7615571/Theresa-leader-riddled-anxiety-new-biography-claims.html
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,014
    AndyJS said:

YouGov:

Con 36%
    Lab 23%
    LD 18%
    BRX 12%
    Grn 6%
    SNP 4%

Fieldwork 24/25 Oct i.e. recent

Changes from last YouGov

Con 36% -1%
    Lab 23% +1%
    LD 18% -1%
    BRX 12% +1%
    Grn 6% -1%

Movements all within MOE, but perhaps in the direction one might expect?
  • Options

TudorRose said:

Sandpit said:

SunnyJim said:

Cannot come soon enough.

+1

As John Bercow himself pointed out, Jacob Rees-Mogg has done a 180 degree turn in six months. We have the absurdity of seeing Leavers scream for less Parliamentary scrutiny for policies that Parliament is unpersuaded by. Just to state it shows the ridiculousness of their position.
    When taking office Bercow said 'My commitment to this House is to be completely impartial as between members of one political party and another.' He has clearly failed in that commitment (as indeed he has to others, such as transparency).
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    TudorRose said:

TudorRose said:

Sandpit said:

SunnyJim said:

Cannot come soon enough.

+1

When taking office Bercow said 'My commitment to this House is to be completely impartial as between members of one political party and another.' He has clearly failed in that commitment (as indeed he has to others, such as transparency).
    His job is to help MPs do their jobs. Your suggestion that he has been partial between parties is impossible to sustain. You just really like policies for which there is nothing like a majority in Parliament and would like MPs not to be able to do their jobs in relation to those policies.
  • Options

"Theresa May was a 'terrible campaigner' whose 'inflexible and introverted character' caused the Tories to lose their majority at the 2017 election, a new biography claims"

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7615571/Theresa-leader-riddled-anxiety-new-biography-claims.html

I am sure most of us on here knew that
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,952

How long does a Labour leadership contest need to last? That’s one of the metrics we need to start thinking about.

Agreed. That any Labour supporter can want to go into an election with someone lagging 15 points in the polls either can't read or deliberately wants to lose. Corbyn must resign in the very near future or try to delay the election until 2022 when old age might intervene and resignation might be forced on him
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,547

MaxPB said:

Sandpit said:

SunnyJim said:

Cannot come soon enough.

+1

The usual nonsense from pb’s village idiot. The Speaker is there to look after Parliament’s interests. The screaming ab dabs are coming from those who want the executive to be allowed to steamroller Parliament. He was just as awkward for Theresa May (and the death cult supported his efforts then) and David Cameron moaned about how he tripped him up too. He appears sincerely to believe in letting Parliament hold the government to account. Good.
    I don’t disagree with a lot of what Bercow has done, if you look into the detail of it apart from starting from the “evil speaker out to stop Brexit” viewpoint. The fact is that we have a hung parliament and that has led to the speaker having more power, or at least being seen to be ‘responsible’ for what happens, more than if we had a majority government.

Bercows main failing is the fact that he loves to pontificate and therefore gives an invitation to people looking into his motives and perceived biases.

• Options

SunnyJim said:

I’m unconvinced.
    Just as Trump would have lost against anyone but Hillary, Johnson is unappealing against anyone but Corbyn.
    But he is facing Corbyn, and the idiot membership of Labour can't see what a gift that is to the conservatives.
  • Options
    eggegg Posts: 1,749
    On topic. One less vote at third reading?
    How long does he stay in the role if there is change of government?
  • Options

A Prime Minister’s weaknesses seem to be known at the outset, and they are inevitably the final cause of their downfall, too.

We knew May was inflexible, introverted, secretive, a control freak; we knew Cameron was facile, solipsistic, intellectually lazy; we knew Blair was narcissistic, glib, and unscrupulous.

We know Boris’s character is worse - perhaps far worse - than any of the above, too. The only question is exactly how this plays out.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Agreed. That any Labour supporter can want to go into an election with someone lagging 15 points in the polls either can't read or deliberately wants to lose. Corbyn must resign in the very near future or try to delay the election until 2022 when old age might intervene and resignation might be forced on him
    There may not be a choice by this time next week

I expect Boris to fail with his call for a GE on monday

I expect the EU to lose patience with the HOC and on tuesday give the choice of passing the deal (actually an international treaty) by the 15th November or extend to 31st January to hold a GE, take it or leave it

And it will be Macron, EU's most powerful leader, calling the shots. He wants this over as well as the EU and see the UK out so he and the EU can move on
  • Options

SunnyJim said:

I’m unconvinced.
    But he is facing Corbyn, and the idiot membership of Labour can't see what a gift that is to the conservatives.
    I think there is an over tendency for media to go vox popping in big leave areas during day and talking to old people and shop/stall owners to create that feeling. On here yesterday people laughed at suggestion Barnsley is Tory gain, but look at the vox popping and size of leave.

Bolstered by our dear HY, armed with irresistible polling and ONS gains.

But against it is what happened in Peterborough in a real election?
  • Options

TudorRose said:

TudorRose said:

Sandpit said:

SunnyJim said:

Cannot come soon enough.

+1

His job is to help MPs do their jobs. Your suggestion that he has been partial between parties is impossible to sustain. You just really like policies for which there is nothing like a majority in Parliament and would like MPs not to be able to do their jobs in relation to those policies.
    No. I see a man who calls one colleague 'a stupid woman', insults a former chief whip and used one MP's children as a mechanism for attacking that MP. All of these MPs belong to one party, which is a clear indication of partiality.
  • Options

SunnyJim said:

I’m unconvinced.
    Where I would disagree with you rotten is suggestion much changes if Corbyn replaced.

my eggxact eggnalysis I think impact will be minimal, firstly Boris support is solid 31-40 % of that next general election. Chucka and Baldrick etc arnt all going to rush back the moment he goes, same for the lost voters many are gone for good or will need to be won over time. So even if labour done that it wont impact the next election and the hammering they are going to get.
  • Options

TudorRose said:

TudorRose said:

Sandpit said:

SunnyJim said:

Cannot come soon enough.

+1

You are a "Biased Tory" is the words you are looking for Alistair. He seems incapable of separating party from what is right.
  • Options
    egg said:

SunnyJim said:

I’m unconvinced.
    I think there is an over tendency for media to go vox popping in big leave areas during day and talking to old people and shop/stall owners to create that feeling. On here yesterday people laughed at suggestion Barnsley is Tory gain, but look at the vox popping and size of leave.

The media don’t have a scooby doo.
    Most will be confused that there appears to be no direct train to Bassetlaw.
  • Options

May made two big mistakes in the election campaign:

1. The decision to prattle on about policies that were unpopular with key voters;

2. The decision to skip the debates.

I think she would acknowledge the latter if pushed. Even if she’d have come out of it badly (its Theresa May, so I don’t think we could have expected a charismatic tour de force) I don’t think it would have done anything near the damage that the “frit” narrative did to her.

I think if she’d managed to avoid both of those pitfalls we could be looking at a very different result right now. Maybe not a sizeable Tory majority but perhaps something like a majority of 30-40. Might not have been enough to see her deal through at the start but would probably have been enough to carry it when it came to the crunch. We could have Brexited and could be looking at another 3 years of PM May at this point.
  • Options

Roger said:

I expect the EU to lose patience with the HOC and on tuesday give the choice of passing the deal (actually an international treaty) by the 15th November or extend to 31st January to hold a GE, take it or leave it

And it will be Macron, EU's most powerful leader, calling the shots. He wants this over as well as the EU and see the UK out so he and the EU can move on
    I don't think the EU will risk embroiling themselves in our politics (they would be mad to do so) and so I don't expect conditions (such as a GE) to be given. However a delay until January does not give enough time for a 2nd referendum and so the implication will be fairly clear.

What puzzles me is the timing of the announcement; we now have a catch 22 situation - Corbyn won't go for a GE until the EU make a decision and the EU won't make a decision until they see what happens about a GE.
  • Options

egg said:

SunnyJim said:

I’m unconvinced.

The media don’t have a scooby doo.
    Most will be confused that there appears to be no direct train to Bassetlaw.
    They can always go to Orkney on Jeremy's favourite train journey instead.
  • Options
    Harris_TweedHarris_Tweed Posts: 1,301
    This is not a good look for Boris, and should give him pause to consider views outside the echo chamber of Brexit Twitter and the tabloids. Admittedly the write-up is from the other side, but the numbers don’t look great.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-deal-boris-johnson-delay-article-50-opinion-poll-a9172051.html?utm_term=Autofeed&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1572085248
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    So, who blinks first? Split the difference between 4 and 12 weeks surely …. ok maybe not 8 weeks, that's Boxing Day :-)

https://twitter.com/PedderSophie/status/1187787622682431489
  • Options

Roger said:

I still think we’ll see an extension to 31 January, whatever Macron says at the moment. If you look at the history of Brexit you’ll see plenty of opportunities when the EU could have forced the hand of parliament. Right now, they could have refused an extension (or at least only granted a technical one for a week or so for EU Parliament ratification) to force parliament into getting the WA through (let’s be honest, if stuck with a choice between that and no deal, Parliament would vote for it).

The reason they don’t do so is because they’re terrified of the risk of no deal and the perception that they are exerting force on the UK. This principle has guided them throughout the process and I can’t see there being any difference when it comes to the crunch next week.
  • Options
    egg said:

SunnyJim said:

I’m unconvinced.

I hope a GE does happen and if Boris attains a majority then brexit happens but if he does not and there is a remain alliance strong enough then a referendum happens.

That is my ideal solution and I for one would accept the position and if a referndum was held would accept the result as in these circumstances they have come from a GE held in knowledge of the various arguments

I also believe if remain won it must be, and likely would be, respected
This discussion has been closed.