Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Why I’m betting that Farage’s Brexit party will get fewer than

Comments

• Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,135
    Scott_P said:
    I think politicians need to remember that whatever happens, fairly soon they'll have to justify their actions to electors on the doorstep. These manoeuvrings are getting very difficult to understand, let alone justify.
  • Options

I’m calling it now, a panic stricken Commons facing a No Deal Brexit on Thursday will revoke Article 50.

Lord knows where we go after that.

Facing a No Deal Brexit how?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,526
    edited October 2019
    Chris said:

I’m calling it now, a panic stricken Commons facing a No Deal Brexit on Thursday will revoke Article 50.

The nation of cheese eating surrender monkeys vetoes an extension.
  • Options

Civil War!!
  • Options

Chris said:

The nation of cheese eating surrender monkeys vetos an extension.
    Given they ratified the Benn Act within 24h, why not implement the WAB within 24h?
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,919
    edited October 2019

Sandpit said:

Mr. Sandpit, I'd forgotten how late Mexico starts. It's 7pm for qualifying and just after (the following day, of course) for the race.

Yes, and USA will be the same times next weekend. Brazil's a couple of hours earlier. Abu Dhabi is of course at usual European race times, but the race starts as dusk local time - and I'll be there! :D
    Enjoy! My Bro's been to lot's of foreign ones but we both started at sliverstone. I don't travel very well.
    I've been to a few, definitely on the bucket list to complete the full set of races at some point. Just Abu Dhabi this year, hopefully Bahrain and one of Baku and Sochi next year. perhaps even an outside chance of the new one in Vietnam. Silverstone and Spa are something else of a race atmosphere though, Singapore the best overall holiday destination.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    Barnesian said:

philiph said:

Barnesian said:

philiph said:

Barnesian said:

Pulpstar said:

I wonder how close to a breakdown some MPs are over all this. Labour leavers are under two sets of immense pressure in particular.

Crying through the Aye lobby on third reading anyone ?

The stress must be unbearable

However, they decided to play games with the second reading and programme motion in a move designed to change the deal to a customs union and referendum, but how it has backfired

In both TM deal and Boris's they tried to be too clever and how they must now be regretting their decisions
    I wonder how close to a breakdown the PM is over all this.

However, he decided to play games with the second reading and programme motion in a move designed bulldoze the WAB through with inadequate scrutiny but how it has backfired

In both TM deal and Boris's they tried to be too clever and how they must now be regretting their decisions
    Probably further away from one than you are?
    :) I'm really very relaxed and enjoying this. Better than a box set. My bets generally are green. I'm loving it actually. Can't wait for the GE, knocking on doors.
    I guess you should either give up knocking on doors or stop insinuating people are on the verge of a breakdown if you want to rescue any shred of credibility or be of use while knocking on doors.

Life is generally better than a box set.
    Look through this thread to find who first introduced the idea of breakdown and stress. It certainly wasn't me. I just mirrored it.
    OK I didn't see that, as yours was the first reference I saw to it. I have a thing about taking mental health lightly, maybe that's why I'm involved with a MH charity...

Apologies to you.
  • Options

Chris said:

Isn't there already a consensus for an extension of some length?
  • Options
    SunnyJimSunnyJim Posts: 1,106

It was about parliamanetary oversight of the future FTA, which dear leader felt was an affront to his power so threw his toys out of the pram.

I wouldn't have a huge problem with parliamentary oversight as long as there wasn't an attempt to bind the hands of a future PM with legislation passed today.

By all means have a vote on individual deals as they are agreed between HMG and the EU.

It will be grist to the Tories election mill as you can well imagine.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,736
    Big_G said: "Both of you are missing the point that the electoral commission would have to work out the wording to including no deal. As in everything brexit it is not as simple as it seems"

Why would No Deal have to be an option?
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,293
    Nigelb said:

Bit of an uptick for Harris in South Carolina - back up at 11%, as Biden's lock on the state continues gradually to erode very slowly.

It's not earth shattering, but the first piece of positive news for her in a while.

She's rolling! :smile:
  • Options

Why would that happen?

There is a deal on the table that the EU have agreed to.
  • Options
    Chris said:

Chris said:

Consensus of everyone apart from the French from the sound of it.

Parliament has a way to take No Deal off the table (implement the Deal) and if there's no Election there's no point in an extension. Why should they grant an extension?
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Sunlit uplands.
  • Options

Mr. Indyref, should be good for Ferrari.

I've put a tiny bit on McLaren to get a podium (think that was Mr. Sandpit's idea).

Thanks - the markets back up so I've just tried to lay Bottas again - I thought it was suspended all through practises but obviously not.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Chris said:

Chris said:

One that is justifiable for the purpose it is required. That could be 24 hours to no deal, 2 to 4 weeks to get WA through or 31st Jan for election - which really needs to be in December if the incoming Government is going to have time to do anything on the Brexit front.
  • Options

I've put a tiny bit on McLaren to get a podium (think that was Mr. Sandpit's idea).

Yes, the thinking is that the Renault engine is particularly good here (It's won the last two races) and it's not in the Red Bull this year. I guess we'll soon find out.
  • Options

Thanks - the markets back up so I've just tried to lay Bottas again - I thought it was suspended all through practises but obviously not.
    Vettel into 4.9 now
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Yes, the thinking is that the Renault engine is particularly good here (It's won the last two races) and it's not in the Red Bull this year. I guess we'll soon find out.
    You've confused me here - Mercedes and Ferrari's don't run Renault's do they?????
  • Options
    TrèsDifficileTrèsDifficile Posts: 1,729
    edited October 2019

Chris said:

The wiki page for "Cheese-eating surrender monkeys" used to say

"Use of the term has grown outside of the United States, particularly in the United Kingdom, where The Simpsons is popular, and the French are not."

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Cheese-eating_surrender_monkeys&oldid=919233620

It's now sadly been edited to remove the bit after United Kingdom
  • Options

Chris said:

Chris said:

Oh I see. I had just heard the reports about the outcome of the ambassadors' meeting. I hadn't seen this about Macron's spokesman.

Well, I may be putting the final touches to my stockpile just in case, but I don't believe France is going to bring about No Deal against the wishes of the others, and neither do the currency markets or the betting markets, evidently.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,997
    philiph said:

Barnesian said:

philiph said:

Barnesian said:

philiph said:

Barnesian said:

Pulpstar said:

I wonder how close to a breakdown some MPs are over all this. Labour leavers are under two sets of immense pressure in particular.

However, they decided to play games with the second reading and programme motion in a move designed to change the deal to a customs union and referendum, but how it has backfired

However, he decided to play games with the second reading and programme motion in a move designed bulldoze the WAB through with inadequate scrutiny but how it has backfired

:) I'm really very relaxed and enjoying this. Better than a box set. My bets generally are green. I'm loving it actually. Can't wait for the GE, knocking on doors.
    I guess you should either give up knocking on doors or stop insinuating people are on the verge of a breakdown if you want to rescue any shred of credibility or be of use while knocking on doors.

Look through this thread to find who first introduced the idea of breakdown and stress. It certainly wasn't me. I just mirrored it.
    OK I didn't see that, as yours was the first reference I saw to it. I have a thing about taking mental health lightly, maybe that's why I'm involved with a MH charity...

Apologies to you.
    That's OK. I have family experience of mental health issues - dementia, bipolar and paranoia - so I really don't take it lightly.

Nevertheless I do think it is legitimate to comment on potential mental health issues of politicians in position of power e.g. with regard to Trump, if the consequences are potentially very serious. It's a balance between personal dignity and public safety.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

You've confused me here - Mercedes and Ferrari's don't run Renault's do they?????
    No they don't. My suggestion is to back McLaren for good points (I think I initially suggested top 6 rather than top 3) because they're the strongest Renault runner, and that manufacturer have an engine that works very well at the unique altitude of Mexico City (7,500').

Weather looks all over the place too, could be rain in any session, track is damp at the moment. Don't think I'll be putting any cash down today.
  • Options
    philiph said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

One that is justifiable for the purpose it is required. That could be 24 hours to no deal, 2 to 4 weeks to get WA through or 31st Jan for election - which really needs to be in December if the incoming Government is going to have time to do anything on the Brexit front.
    Obviously that doesn't make sense. If the "purpose" is No Deal, no extension at all is required.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,942
    Could end up as "No deal" vs "Revoke" (With no Lib Dem majority or 2nd ref mandate) - ruin or betrayal, Parliament's choice.
  • Options
    Chris said:

philiph said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

Obviously that doesn't make sense. If the "purpose" is No Deal, no extension at all is required.
    I gave it 24 hours as the consensus is an extension is agreed subject to justifiability.

And when has anything on the internet made sense?
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

philiph said:

Barnesian said:

philiph said:

Barnesian said:

philiph said:

Barnesian said:

Pulpstar said:

Apologies to you.
    That's OK. I have family experience of mental health issues - dementia, bipolar and paranoia - so I really don't take it lightly.

Nevertheless I do think it is legitimate to comment on potential mental health issues of politicians in position of power e.g. with regard to Trump, if the consequences are potentially very serious. It's a balance between personal dignity and public safety.
    LOL maybe that's where the Dems are going wrong; they're trying to impeach Trump when they should be trying to section him.

Or maybe you're just a bit of a tit.
  • Options
    nunuonenunuone Posts: 1,138
    Pulpstar said:

Nigelb said:

Bit of an uptick for Harris in South Carolina - back up at 11%, as Biden's lock on the state continues gradually to erode very slowly.

It's not earth shattering, but the first piece of positive news for her in a while.

Buttigieg 9% same poll.
    Wow, did he get more than 0% of black support? 😮
  • Options

Parliament has a way to take No Deal off the table (implement the Deal) and if there's no Election there's no point in an extension. Why should they grant an extension?

To avoid a shit storm, the fallout from which would do them no good whatsoever.
  • Options
    Sorry to TSE if the comment I replied to originally was just a joke. But I find it almost impossible now to distinguish Brexit jokes from reality.

In the same way that the Spitting Image revival is bound to fail because the real politicians are more ridiculous than the puppets could be.
  • Options
    @philiph @JBriskinindyref2 Quit your whining over @Barnesian - he's mirroring my point about MPs being in a tough place. My original (unsaid) point was that it has all been self-inflicted.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Pulpstar said:

@philiph @JBriskinindyref2 Quit your whining over @Barnesian - he's mirroring my point about MPs being in a tough place. My original (unsaid) point was that it has all been self-inflicted.

I have stopped already! see post at 4.15
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,081

Chris said:

The nation of cheese eating surrender monkeys vetos an extension.
    Given they ratified the Benn Act within 24h, why not implement the WAB within 24h?
    Well for one, the EP needs to approve it.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Both of you are missing the point that the electoral commission would have to work out the wording to including no deal. As in everything brexit it is not as simple as it seems

Given the Boris Deal is 'true leave' for most Leavers the absence of No Deal from the Ref2* ballot paper would not be such a big problem as it would if the Leave option were, say, the May Deal

* That's the Ref2 that remains IMO very much a Not Happening event.
    I am so sorry to keep going on about this but ref 2 will have to include no deal

• Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,711
    Chris said:

Scott_P said:
    I think politicians need to remember that whatever happens, fairly soon they'll have to justify their actions to electors on the doorstep. These manoeuvrings are getting very difficult to understand, let alone justify.
    Yep...people are looking at this and seeing just game playing, which disgusts everyone.

Boris is clear.. Boris wants an election, that's a strong position to hammer home. Clear argument, clear positions are what's needed.

• Options

kinabalu said:

Both of you are missing the point that the electoral commission would have to work out the wording to including no deal. As in everything brexit it is not as simple as it seems

Given the Boris Deal is 'true leave' for most Leavers the absence of No Deal from the Ref2* ballot paper would not be such a big problem as it would if the Leave option were, say, the May Deal

I am so sorry to keep going on about this but ref 2 will have to include no deal

Not this again @Big_G_NorthWales
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,723
    SunnyJim said:

Why would that happen?

There is a deal on the table that the EU have agreed to.
    The EU have never been the problem.
  • Options

Chris said:

Scott_P said:
    Yep...people are looking at this and seeing just game playing, which disgusts everyone.

Boris is clear.. Boris wants an election, that's a strong position to hammer home. Clear argument, clear positions are what's needed.

I thought Boris’s position was that he would deliver Brexit by Oct 31 no ifs or buts.
  • Options
    philiph said:

Pulpstar said:

I have stopped already! see post at 4.15
    Yes you have. Pax vobiscum o:)
  • Options

Chris said:

Scott_P said:

I thought Boris’s position was that he would deliver Brexit by Oct 31 no ifs or buts.
    Lol, he might just yet :p
  • Options
    timmotimmo Posts: 1,469
    The prices on a 2019 election flipped at about 6 pm yesterday.Up to that point 2019 was odds on and everything past that against.
    Managed to get a few hundred on 2020 or later at 7/4.
    That is now odds on..bit concerned it could flip back pretty quickly
  • Options

I am so sorry to keep going on about this but ref 2 will have to include no deal.

You bang on about it all you like. It's one of the reasons to be on here.

And we will see. Although since IMO there will not be a Ref2 - we won't!
  • Options
    Letwin, Benn and Grieve really should refrain from any more wizard wheezes.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Big_G said: "Both of you are missing the point that the electoral commission would have to work out the wording to including no deal. As in everything brexit it is not as simple as it seems"

A constitutional expert clearly stated that any referendum has to include all options including no deal as the electoral commission have to be even handed with all opinions and there is considerable support for no deal

However, if someone can get a constitutional expert to disprove this I would be very interested to see their reasoning
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,883
    Sandpit said:

Barnesian said:

Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

It's very clear Macron wants us, by hook or crook, OUT.

I think that if the election gets voted down the extension is going to be a fortnight tops - it's deal or no deal, up to you Jeremy.
    It's no deal or revoke, up to you Boris.
    You want to give him that choice?
    Yep Jesters No Deal
  • Options
    timmotimmo Posts: 1,469
    You can also get 33/1 on a Labour/Libdem&SNP coalition in next govt. Considering that pretty much what we have now that seems a decent price
  • Options
    The local by elections show a swing from Labour to tory, but a big swing from tory to libdem, which means a small tory majority is probably likely whenever the GE comes.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ElectionMapsUK/status/1187705089588367361
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Afraid so as it has come from another source.

I am perfectly content to have this disproved by another constitutional expert

Indeed it would help everyone if this could be clarified as I understand it is fundamental to the peoples vote thinking
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Letwin, Benn and Grieve really should refrain from any more wizard wheezes.

there is a strong sense of certain people being too clever by half
  • Options

Stocky said:

A constitutional expert clearly stated that any referendum has to include all options including no deal as the electoral commission have to be even handed with all opinions and there is considerable support for no deal

However, if someone can get a constitutional expert to disprove this I would be very interested to see their reasoning
    ‘No deal’ doesn't mean anything.
    Everyone who supports it has a different idea of what it means.

That is not democracy.
  • Options
    timmo said:

You can also get 33/1 on a Labour/Libdem&SNP coalition in next govt. Considering that pretty much what we have now that seems a decent price

I wonder if the period of inability of a functioning majority government will cause voters to swing to the opposite and vote in a majority of one sort or another.
    Boris, Jeremy or Jo could be smiling, while two of them are deposed.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Trump's popularity is on the slide

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/trump-approval-ratings/

and he's at 1.33 on Betfair as Republican nominee i.e. only a 75% chance.

The other runners seem to be Pence and Haley with Romney as a long shot. I'm on Condoleezza Rice at 400/1 for £2 but that's just to compete for the most outrageous outsider win.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

kinabalu said:

Indeed it would help everyone if this could be clarified as I understand it is fundamental to the peoples vote thinking
    Since Boris' deal on WA has a direct route to no deal with 12 months, we can keep this simple.
  • Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038

Stocky said:

Kinabalu said: "I don't see Ref2 myself but at least it does work now as a proposition. Why? Because we now have a Leave option - the Boris Deal - which is deliverable AND backed by Leavers. That against Remain would be a legitimate match-up"

That`s a good point - now we have a Leave option - i.e. a method of leaving which Brexiters can support and therefore counts as leaving.

The problem is that it will get amended and I suspect that remainer MPs will craft amendments deliberately to make Boris`s deal no longer attractive to Brexiter MPs!

There's close to zero chance that a 2nd referendum would have No Deal as one of the options. The most likely form of referendum would be to approve a deal. Of course the PV people also want Remain on the ballot, but getting parliament to approve that has always seemed unlikely. In summary, if we start to go down the referendum road we're going to hit the same obstacles as before, and fail to produce anything of use.
  • Options

Mmm. And what a lucky (!) break for him that everyone is distracted from his abject failure to do so by nonsense talk of Xmas elections.
  • Options

Stocky said:

That is not democracy.
    leaving without a deal, 'WTO terms'.
  • Options

I am certainly no constitutional expert but it seems to me that even a layman working from the premise of fairness could see that there would need to be a ND option on any future referendum.

Which then leads on to the challenges of avoiding splitting one side of the vote in two.

I think the discussion is a fools errand in any case, even Chukka indicated yesterday that he'd all but given up hope on a 2nd referendum.
  • Options
    nunuone said:

The local by elections show a swing from Labour to tory, but a big swing from tory to libdem, which means a small tory majority is probably likely whenever the GE comes.

I agree, indeed I am not certain there would be a majority but who knows

This weekends polling is going to be very interesting
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,031
    nunuone said:

That's the most likely scenario: Tory vote share down, Labour down more. LibDems up, but not making much progress outside Remainia.

I'd reckon 5 Conservative losses to the SNP and another 4-12 to the LibDems (with, I suspect, the actual number coming at the bottom of that range), balanced by 35 or so Conservative gains from Labour.

End result, a small Conservative majority.

But, FPTP is inherently volatile. If there was successful anti-Johnson tactical voting, then you could see the Conservatives back at 315 (or less), only having pissed the DUP off so badly that there's no likelihood of a C&S deal.
  • Options

Stocky said:

That is not democracy.
    Seems the electoral commission would not agree
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Stocky said:

That is not democracy.
    leaving without a deal, 'WTO terms'.
    But it isn’t that simple. Some people will want zero tarrifs on everything. Some people will want huge tariffs on everything. Some people will even want us to join EFTA on day 1.

All equally valid.

It is a recipe for disaster.

Its everything to all people.
  • Options
    timmo said:

I really can't see the LibDems going into a coalition deal after their recent experience and observing the leverage of the DUP approach. I'm on a minority Labour government. It's value at 9.2 but not very liquid.
  • Options

Stocky said:

That is not democracy.
    The electoral commission is irrelevant if Parliament legislates as such.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,031
    SunnyJim said:

I am certainly no constitutional expert but it seems to me that even a layman working from the premise of fairness could see that there would need to be a ND option on any future referendum.

Which then leads on to the challenges of avoiding splitting one side of the vote in two.

I think the discussion is a fools errand in any case, even Chukka indicated yesterday that he'd all but given up hope on a 2nd referendum.
    There's no need to worry about splitting the vote, you simple offer three questions:

No Deal vs Deal
    Deal vs Remain
    Remain vs No Deal

(You can also do this by asking people to rank the three options.)

Whichever option beats the other two wins. It's called the Condorcet Winner.
  • Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038
    timmo said:

I wouldn't touch it. LDs have promised no coalition, and C&S won't meet the requirements of the wager.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,844
    nunuone said:

People do vote somewhat differently in generals to locals.

My guess is that in the general election both Con and Lab woud do better than local by elections suggest and Lib-Dems worse.
  • Options
    You can stop flogging the horse...a 2nd referendum isn't happening.

Even Chukka has given up on it.
  • Options
    No-one wants my 2 quid Bottas at 9/1 ?? What am I doing wrong?? Not enough adverstising???
  • Options
    Dadge said:

timmo said:

I wouldn't touch it. LDs have promised no coalition, and C&S won't meet the requirements of the wager.
    C&S would. The Betfair rule is "A minority Government would see all the Cabinet posts filled by one party, but supply and confidence would be enjoyed by that party by one or more other parties in Parliament in order to pass votes and budgets etc."
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,900
    edited October 2019

Barnesian said:

LOL maybe that's where the Dems are going wrong; they're trying to impeach Trump when they should be trying to section him.
    Just as the US president cannot be tried in a court while still president, I doubt that a president can be sectioned either. That is essentially why they have the 25th ammendment. So it is not the Dems who could "section him" but Pence and the Trump Administration who could remove Trump from office based on his mental health.
  • Options
    Israel is going to probably ggo through ANOTHER election shortly. It's probably in a healthier place than us though right now.
  • Options

Yep Jesters No Deal

Yes. My strategy if I were Labour would be to force Johnson to own a crunch binary choice for 31 Jan - WTO exit or further extension. No 'Surrender Act' this time for him to shelter behind. Then a GE several weeks later - April? - at which point Johnson would be either (i) the author of a godawful mess or (ii) exposed as a fraudulent blowhard, depending on which choice he made.
  • Options

Stocky said:

That is not democracy.
    Actually no. The wording has to go before the electoral commission who will adjudicate on the wording and fairness to all views which in this case includes no deal
  • Options
    Dadge said:

Stocky said:

Kinabalu said: "I don't see Ref2 myself but at least it does work now as a proposition. Why? Because we now have a Leave option - the Boris Deal - which is deliverable AND backed by Leavers. That against Remain would be a legitimate match-up"

That`s a good point - now we have a Leave option - i.e. a method of leaving which Brexiters can support and therefore counts as leaving.

The problem is that it will get amended and I suspect that remainer MPs will craft amendments deliberately to make Boris`s deal no longer attractive to Brexiter MPs!

There's close to zero chance that a 2nd referendum would have No Deal as one of the options. The most likely form of referendum would be to approve a deal. Of course the PV people also want Remain on the ballot, but getting parliament to approve that has always seemed unlikely. In summary, if we start to go down the referendum road we're going to hit the same obstacles as before, and fail to produce anything of use.
    Yes, the only conceivable question for a referendum is "Should the deal to leave the EU be approved, Yes or No?". It's a simple question, the government are seeking to approve the change and the approval can be legislated in advance subject to the vote.

Of course, you then end up with Farage and Swinson both on the No side, and uncertainty of the next steps if the deal is rejected.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,844
    edited October 2019
    SunnyJim said:

You can stop flogging the horse...a 2nd referendum isn't happening.

Even Chukka has given up on it.

Yep. Chuck's chucked it! :D
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

Dadge said:

timmo said:

C&S would. The Betfair rule is "A minority Government would see all the Cabinet posts filled by one party, but supply and confidence would be enjoyed by that party by one or more other parties in Parliament in order to pass votes and budgets etc."
    Not when you're backing coalition though :p
  • Options
    eristdoof said:

Barnesian said:

Just as the US president cannot be tried in a court while still president, I doubt that a president can be sectioned either. That is essentially why they have the 25th ammendment. So it is not the Dems who could "section him" but Pence and the Trump Administration who could remove Trump from office based on his mental health.
    Well thanks for the info. Personally let's just say I've been sectioned one too many times by Our Glorious NHS
  • Options

Stocky said:

That is not democracy.
    Actually no. The wording has to go before the electoral commission who will adjudicate on the wording and fairness to all views which in this case includes no deal
    And given the Fuck up they made in indyref1 that does open a wide range of possiblities
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,900
    rcs1000 said:

SunnyJim said:

There's no need to worry about splitting the vote, you simple offer three questions:

No Deal vs Deal
    Deal vs Remain
    Remain vs No Deal

What happens if we get a rock/scissors/stone result?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Barnesian said:

Dadge said:

timmo said:

Not when you're backing coalition though :p
    True. I thought the comment was on my bet on a Lab minority government. My mistake. The lab/SNP/LD coalition price is 5.7 back, 12 lay. Possibly worth a lay at say 7s?
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Pulpstar said:

Israel is going to probably ggo through ANOTHER election shortly. It's probably in a healthier place than us though right now.

The problem is Isreal elections will always lean towards nationalism because the the Jews in the occupied West Bank and Golan Heights are able to vote, and they will always vote for the hard right/nationalist parties.
  • Options
    nunuone said:

That's a very big call at this stage of the proceedings. Council elections are a poor guide to GE results; little tactical voting for a start.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    Pulpstar said:

Well, our Brexit drama is less than four years old, whereas their conflict with the Palestinians is more than seventy years old, so they've had time to normalize it.

I hope that's not how our future turns out.
  • Options
    Okay,

Brisky's #MexicoGP bet is on!

I've layed Max FTW

See you all on the other side.
  • Options
    nunuone said:

Pulpstar said:

The problem is Isreal elections will always lean towards nationalism because the the Jews in the occupied West Bank and Golan Heights are able to vote, and they will always vote for the hard right/nationalist parties.
    I have a Jewish Israeli friend living in London who felt so passionately about it that she flew from the UK to Israel specifically to vote against Netanyahu. She might have to repeat the trip.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

nunuone said:

People do vote somewhat differently in generals to locals.

My guess is that in the general election both Con and Lab woud do better than local by elections suggest and Lib-Dems worse.
    No doubt Libdems would do worse, but normally when a party in power has swings towards it from the main opposition party in local midterm elections, doesn't that normally correlate to a good result in the forthcoming GE for the party in power?
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,720

Stocky said:

That is not democracy.
    Yes, the wording has to go before the Electoral Commission but if Parliament legislates for a straight choice between Boris's Deal and Remain, the EC cannot override that. Parliament is sovereign.

(And I say that as one who has consistently supported a 3-option 2nd referendum.)
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,994
    Mr. Indyref2, should work out, Red Bull have been a bit slow lately.
  • Options
    eristdoof said:

rcs1000 said:

SunnyJim said:

No Deal vs Deal
    Deal vs Remain
    Remain vs No Deal

What happens if we get a rock/scissors/stone result?
    In that case we have to call in Doctor Who to break the deadlock. In fact we may be getting to that point anyway.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

nunuone said:

Pulpstar said:

I have a Jewish Israeli friend living in London who felt so passionately about it that she flew from the UK to Israel specifically to vote against Netanyahu. She might have to repeat the trip.
    Why can't she just vote proxy?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

SunnyJim said:

No Deal vs Deal
    Deal vs Remain
    Remain vs No Deal

The downside of this is the winning result could have the support of as little as 33.4% of those who vote.

Three options via a two-stage vote or STV will give the winning option 50%+
  • Options

Stocky said:

That is not democracy.

Source?
  • Options

Stocky said:

That is not democracy.
    He means that the Electoral Commission's powers to do that derive from legislation, and if parliament legislates otherwise for a particular referendum they won't exercise those powers.
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382

Chris said:

Scott_P said:

He said originally he did not want an election.
    I do not think people are gagging for a Christmas election.
  • Options
    Chris said:

Stocky said:

That is not democracy.
    He means that the Electoral Commission's powers to do that derive from legislation, and if parliament legislates otherwise for a particular referendum they won't exercise those powers.
    In which case we’re back to a boycott with a very legitimate grievance.
  • Options
    Just imagine how powerful Macron must be feeling right now. Europe's fate in his hands :o !

Je suis JUPITER !
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    Do we know if Dominic Cummings is still planning to step down on October 31st?
  • Options

Stocky said:

That is not democracy.

Source?
    Two separate constitutional experts and contrary to some the government legislates but the electoral commission then decides the wording and takes into account all views. If the electoral commission missed of no deal Farage would be at the Supreme Court faster than Gina Miller
  • Options

Do we know if Dominic Cummings is still planning to step down on October 31st?

Is Bercow ?
This discussion has been closed.