Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » On the day Johnson wants for the general election the UK sunse

Comments

• Options

Mr. Above, if this Parliament can agree on nothing when we have a clear decision to make, it can't fulfil its basic function.

Delay is a decision, and that is the decision parliament has taken. It is unlikely to be optimal but neither is it likely to be the worst case. It is the will of the people as expressed at the GE.
    The will of the people at the GE can be viewed as having voted 4 to 1 for parties with a manifesto commitment to deliver on the referendum result.

I fail to see how this never-ending cycle of delay is achieving that
    Well unless I am mistaken the parliament just voted for the deal but the govt have stalled it and want a 2 month delay to hold an election?
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,725

The day with the latest sunrise, the winter solstice, is December 22nd. I hadn’t realised until checking this that the earliest sunset and the latest sunrise do not happen on the same day.

A 15.51 sunset happens between December 8th - 17th in London and varies by less across the month (9 minutes - 16.00-15.51) than sunrise (23
    Politicians fear of "people not voting in winter General Elections" is not supported by the facts.

To put it into some perspective: you’d have had a large number of pensioners who were WW1 veterans voting in 1974.
    No, there were a lot of WWI veterans in 1974. This is fact. You can look it up.
    Since you made the claim, could you supply the data please?
    You’re the one who made the claim as “fact” but can’t or won’t look it up......
    You’re the one who’s disputing a totally obvious fact but who can’t or won’t provide any evidence to dispute it. You’ve also proven by your posts this morning that you totally misunderstand life expectancy.

Pathetic.
    You don’t think name calling is a sign of losing an argument?
    I’m neither calling you names nor losing the argument.

I was just pointing out that yours was pathetic.
    I rest my case. You said there were “facts” - but wouldn’t provide them, Thanks to others, it looks like there were several hundred thousand out of a total of 31 million Votes cast, when turnout increased by 3 million vs the previous election.
    There’s no case to rest. You’re wrong, and I’m right.

There were millions of veterans votes in 1974 that drove a very different voting culture. You’ve switched to a straw man now because you can’t defeat the original point.

All you’ve done on here this morning is embarrass yourself. If you’re representative of the Tory point of view (and we’re supposed to be ON THE SAME SIDE) then Boris will get thumped.

I have no more time to waste on morons like you. I now have to go and do some work.
    Who is switching cases? Your original claim was about WW1 veterans - which we’ve established was probably in the hundreds of thousands - but you’ve now switched to “Veterans“ this including WWII to bump the total up.

It is possible to disagree without being disagrable.
  • Options

Dianne Abbott reportedly saying they want legislation taking no deal off the table

The deal is there to sign

What does she want? There is one temporary and two permanent ways of taking no deal off the table.

Temporary - Request an extension, already done! Just kicks the can, the deadline comes back later.

Permanent: Agree a deal (there's one to sign already) or revoke A50.

Which is her preference then?
    Run a mountain mile away from a GE
  • Options
    148grss148grss Posts: 3,679

Mr. Above, if this Parliament can agree on nothing when we have a clear decision to make, it can't fulfil its basic function.

Delay is a decision, and that is the decision parliament has taken. It is unlikely to be optimal but neither is it likely to be the worst case. It is the will of the people as expressed at the GE.
    The will of the people at the GE can be viewed as having voted 4 to 1 for parties with a manifesto commitment to deliver on the referendum result.

I fail to see how this never-ending cycle of delay is achieving that
    Yes, but a minority of those who voted to deliver the referendum result voted for this kind of Leave. Many voted for a Labour leave, others for a Lib Dem leave, others again for a Green or UKIP leave. To say a "manifesto pledging a specific kind of leave" vote is a vote for THIS KIND of leave is preposterous.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,122

Is Bunter still promising to go on strike?

He'll be the only one of us allowed to go on strike by the time the Tories have finished gold-plating our workers' rights legislation.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,694

Mr. Above, if the Commons refuse to back a deal, refuse to back a revocation, refuse to have a vote of no confidence in the Government, and refuse to agree anything else the logical conclusion is that this Commons is no good for anything but prevarication.

[Of course, the next Commons could be worse].

Clearly this parliament is not great. That is a separate issue to whether the PM should be able to decide when the election is, when the law is clear that is for parliament to decide, and the mandate from the people is for 5 years.
    I disagree. Parliament is doing a splendid job of representing a divided nation unable to agree on anything.

• Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,226

The Saj rap on R4 this am:

Zombie Parliament
    Zombie Parliament
    Zombie Parliament
    And can I just say
    Zombie Parliament

Not one of life's sparklers, is he?

Him, Patel, Dim Dom - has there ever been a more lightweight trio in the Big 3 offices of state?

And then there's the guy who's PM.
  • Options
    PaulMPaulM Posts: 613

An astronomical point of order: The latest sunrise is actually 5th Jan (St Swithin’s Day.). The solstice has neither the earliest sunset nor the latest sunrise, but has the shortest overall day.

Isn't St Swithin's day 15th July ?
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704

philiph said:

Mr. Above, if the Commons refuse to back a deal, refuse to back a revocation, refuse to have a vote of no confidence in the Government, and refuse to agree anything else the logical conclusion is that this Commons is no good for anything but prevarication.

Clearly this parliament is not great. That is a separate issue to whether the PM should be able to decide when the election is, when the law is clear that is for parliament to decide, and the mandate from the people is for 5 years.
    The law is clear, he can ask Parliament, which is what he is doing on Monday.

If there is no election agreed I am not sure what the EU will offer on the extension.

They know that Parliament will not agree on anything. There is a deal on offer. An election is off the menu. Not ideal for them.

The question they will want an answer to is:
    What is the point of and reason for the extension?

The answer to that will guide the decision they make. The EU is capable of making decisions that bring about a solution to a problem. Because of the (as we see it) democratic deficit difficult decisions are easier and far more anonymous than those made by a National Parliament.

I would not count out either a straight No or 2 to 4 weeks to pass the bill on offer.
    Of course he can ask parliament. He can even sulk and go on strike if he wants. His opponents can respond as they please, if they do not want an election at this particular time that is within their rights and perfectly democratic.
    It is in their rights. I just think it will have consequences for the way the EU react to the request for an extension.
  • Options
    Streeter said:

148grss said:

Charles said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Pulpstar said:

Gloooooooria Bozza in excelsis

On the first day of Christmas the Tories sent to me
    A Bozza in Oswestry
    On the second day of Christmas the Tories sent to me

Two hurtful Goves
    And a Bozza in Oswestry

This one could run and run. Particularly if punmaster-in-chief @ydoethur spots it.
    On the second day of Christmas my true Lab sent to me:

Two total dorks

And a Bozza in Oswestry.
    Bother, you've already done that.

On the third day of Christmas etc

Three French nons
    Two hurtful Goves
    And a Bozza in Oswestry.
    Four polling cards ?
    Five canvassings
    Four polling cards
    Three French nons
    Two hurtful Goves
    And a Bozza in Oswestry.
    Five doesn’t work because it’s different notes

(Five golden rings)

How about

Five joyful hacks
    It does work "Five can-va-sings"

It also fits the original "ings", which sounds more satisfying.
    Five Doorbell Rings
    Even more satisfying. *applause*
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,816

Dianne Abbott reportedly saying they want legislation taking no deal off the table

What does she want? There is one temporary and two permanent ways of taking no deal off the table.

Temporary - Request an extension, already done! Just kicks the can, the deadline comes back later.

I would think the ask is that Revoke be made the legal default in the event of no extension.
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,818

Mr. B, every mandate to hold office is temporary. Both sides proclaimed that the referendum was a one-off and the result would be honoured.

An argument on this ground is not conducive to pro-EU types winning. They're much better off going with the informed consent line.

The argument that we need the public to vote on Brexit splits between the two camps:

The GE argument has the advantage that we regularly have elections, anyway. It has the disadvantage that it's about everything other than Brexit, that due to the FTPA, bringing it forward is (and should be) an exceptional occurrence, and that whoever wins will get a mandate to do lots of stuff and their Brexit mandate will certainly be on a minority of the vote.

The referendum argument has the advantage that if you're going to have a vote on Brexit you should make it - well - a vote on Brexit, and it would require a majority of the vote. It has the disadvantage that referendums are not regular occurrences and it is also an exceptional occurrence (mitigated somewhat by the fact that since 2010, we've had more referendums than General Elections).

Each side sees the democratic legitimacy being stronger for the one they think they're likeliest to win (funny, that). The argument that we shouldn't have another vote on Brexit is eradicated by the argument that we should have another vote on Brexit but of the type that we think we'll win (it gets down to pickiness of "no, that type of vote is undemocratic but this type of vote is democratic)

It's like one of those irregular verbs much loved on Yes Minister:
    I am democratic
    You are ignoring the people
    He is supporting the collapse of order in our country
  • Options
    philiph said:

philiph said:

If there is no election agreed I am not sure what the EU will offer on the extension.

They know that Parliament will not agree on anything. There is a deal on offer. An election is off the menu. Not ideal for them.

The answer to that will guide the decision they make. The EU is capable of making decisions that bring about a solution to a problem. Because of the (as we see it) democratic deficit difficult decisions are easier and far more anonymous than those made by a National Parliament.

I would not count out either a straight No or 2 to 4 weeks to pass the bill on offer.
    Of course he can ask parliament. He can even sulk and go on strike if he wants. His opponents can respond as they please, if they do not want an election at this particular time that is within their rights and perfectly democratic.
    It is in their rights. I just think it will have consequences for the way the EU react to the request for an extension.
    As will Johnson politicising it. A few days ago I thought the EU would offer a one month extension only as that it is in their best interests. Now I think that is more difficult for them politically so may have to default to accepting the UK offer, whilst making it a flextension. But yes, actions have consequences, not always foreseen or as expected.
  • Options
    Off topic, passing through Brussels en route to Rotterdam. The sun is shining, the trains are on time, Brexit Britain feels a long way away although the train was only a couple of hours.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    ydoethur said:

Five canvassings
    Four polling cards
    Three French nons
    Two hurtful Goves
    And a Bozza in Oswestry.

Five cold calls... as it were
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,318
    148grss said:

Charles said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Pulpstar said:

A Bozza in Oswestry

Two hurtful Goves
    And a Bozza in Oswestry

This one could run and run. Particularly if punmaster-in-chief @ydoethur spots it.

Two total dorks

And a Bozza in Oswestry.

Three French nons
    Two hurtful Goves
    And a Bozza in Oswestry.
    Four polling cards ?
    Five canvassings
    Four polling cards
    Three French nons
    Two hurtful Goves
    And a Bozza in Oswestry.

(Five golden rings)

How about

Five joyful hacks

Agree.
  • Options
    edited October 2019

Mr. B, every mandate to hold office is temporary. Both sides proclaimed that the referendum was a one-off and the result would be honoured.

An argument on this ground is not conducive to pro-EU types winning. They're much better off going with the informed consent line.

The argument that we need the public to vote on Brexit splits between the two camps:

The GE argument has the advantage that we regularly have elections, anyway. It has the disadvantage that it's about everything other than Brexit, that due to the FTPA, bringing it forward is (and should be) an exceptional occurrence, and that whoever wins will get a mandate to do lots of stuff and their Brexit mandate will certainly be on a minority of the vote.

The referendum argument has the advantage that if you're going to have a vote on Brexit you should make it - well - a vote on Brexit, and it would require a majority of the vote. It has the disadvantage that referendums are not regular occurrences and it is also an exceptional occurrence (mitigated somewhat by the fact that since 2010, we've had more referendums than General Elections).

Each side sees the democratic legitimacy being stronger for the one they think they're likeliest to win (funny, that). The argument that we shouldn't have another vote on Brexit is eradicated by the argument that we should have another vote on Brexit but of the type that we think we'll win (it gets down to pickiness of "no, that type of vote is undemocratic but this type of vote is democratic)

I am democratic
    I think this is pretty accurate. Politicians are aware they lack a mandate to continue at the moment, but don't really want to reclaim a mandate in a way that doesn't benefit them. So what is the answer?

Why not both, on the same day?

It would be interesting especially if the government that formed disagreed with the outcome of the new referendum (both a Con / Remain win, for example), but it could be interesting. It may allow people to vote how they want in a party political way without it being a reflection of Brexit policy. Say you're a Remain Tory. Well, you can vote Tory with a conscience, and vote remain at the ref. Leave Labour? The same.
  • Options
    If BoZo goes on strike, does that mean he would have time to attend the liaison committee?
  • Options
    Streeter said:

148grss said:

Charles said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Pulpstar said:

A Bozza in Oswestry

Two hurtful Goves
    And a Bozza in Oswestry

Two total dorks

And a Bozza in Oswestry.

Three French nons
    Two hurtful Goves
    And a Bozza in Oswestry.
    Four polling cards ?
    Five canvassings
    Four polling cards
    Three French nons
    Two hurtful Goves
    And a Bozza in Oswestry.

(Five golden rings)

How about

Five joyful hacks

Five Doorbell Rings
    Also good.
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146

Pollsters assuming that the Scots Tories will lose all their 2017 gains back to the SNP should think carefully. Most of the seats the Tories gained in 2017 were in constituencies where there was almost parity in the Brexit/remain splits and as most of them are either in NE Scotland where the fishing lobby is strong or along the Borders where the farming lobby is strong, they are hardly typical of Wee Nippy Sweeties fan club.

As far as I’m aware, pollsters *never* assume election results from a mere snap-shot poll. It would make them a laughing stock in the industry. I think you must be referring to some consumers of polling output, eg HY, who make some quite extraordinary leaps of the imagination.

Although I don’t condone you snide tone, I concur with your substantive point: I have yet to see convincing evidence of a SCon collapse, nor of an SNP surge. We simply do not have remotely enough polling data from north of the border to make anything other than tentative guesses.

What I would say is that any SLD surge (which seems at least plausible) would damage the SCons a heck of a lot more than the SNP.
  • Options

philiph said:

philiph said:

As will Johnson politicising it. A few days ago I thought the EU would offer a one month extension only as that it is in their best interests. Now I think that is more difficult for them politically so may have to default to accepting the UK offer, whilst making it a flextension. But yes, actions have consequences, not always foreseen or as expected.
    It would be far more sensible to say pause WA, Election then the new Parliament can take the deal forward, should it so wish.
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760

Brom said:

148grss said:
    Because almost all the MPs elected - even Wollaston, Soubry and Umunma - were elected on manifestos of respecting the referendum but now they're refusing to do so. They've breached what they were elected to do.
    And the vote leave campaigners, Johnson, Gove, Cummings are putting forward a very different version of leave to that they campaigned on, they are trying to breach what they campaigned for.
    That's fine but the Conservatives are offering their Brexit to voters, which seems pretty democratic. If you don't like what they offer don't vote for them. Soubry, Wollaston and Umunna have changed parties (more than once) and still are trying to hide away from letting the public have a say on what they stand for. Boris may be many things but in the eyes of the British public he isn't the one looking like a coward.
    When people talk about the British public they tend to talk about the parts of the British public they agree with. I and many others think Johnson is a coward, he has sought the benefits of office whilst shirking the responsibilities that come with it his whole life.
    I don't think the polling shares that view, cowards run away from elections rather than seek them.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited October 2019

Pollsters assuming that the Scots Tories will lose all their 2017 gains back to the SNP should think carefully. Most of the seats the Tories gained in 2017 were in constituencies where there was almost parity in the Brexit/remain splits and as most of them are either in NE Scotland where the fishing lobby is strong or along the Borders where the farming lobby is strong, they are hardly typical of Wee Nippy Sweeties fan club.

Good point. Also those Tory MPs may get a first-time incumbency bounce. I think the Conservative vote could hold up much better in the Aberdeenshire area than in the rest of Scotland.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,214
    AndyJS said:

HYUFD said:
    These electors are supposed to be Labour's core vote.
    Weren’t there similar polls in the past saying much the same about May? I may be wrong but I thought that was the source of all the hubris about winning long held Labour seats.

• Options
    I think most sensible voters will conclude, prior to voting, that the Conservative Party is the worst political party, except for all the others.

I have long said I expect an NOM but not sure. Jezza really is playing it badly. As one of their MPs (I think) so aptly put it: they have convinced Leavers that they are for Remain and Remainers that they are for Leave. Perfectly put and likely to be very off-putting to just about anyone.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,148

148grss said:
    Because almost all the MPs elected - even Wollaston, Soubry and Umunma - were elected on manifestos of respecting the referendum but now they're refusing to do so. They've breached what they were elected to do.
    And the vote leave campaigners, Johnson, Gove, Cummings are putting forward a very different version of leave to that they campaigned on, they are trying to breach what they campaigned for.
    You what?

They campaigned that they would get a deal that would:
    Take back control of laws
    Take back control of money
    Take back control of borders
    Leave the ECJ
    Leave the Single Market
    Have a free trade deal with Europe
    Have our own trade policies with the rest of the world
    Maintain peace in Northern Ireland
    Extra money for the NHS

They've managed to get a deal that would:
    Take back control of laws
    Take back control of money
    Take back control of borders
    Leave the ECJ
    Leave the Single Market
    Have a free trade deal with Europe
    Have our own trade policies with the rest of the world
    Maintain peace in Northern Ireland
    Extra money for the NHS

If someone has a better way of meeting those promises I'd love to see it!

Take back control of laws - no, see Joint Committee and political declaration that will necessarily form the basis of any future FTA
    Take back control of money - huh? When were we in the Euro?
    Take back control of borders - we never joined Schengen, so no change at the actual border, in terms of immigration policy, that’s TBC
    Leave the ECJ - CJEI decisions are binding on the Joint Committee which is binding on the U.K. Also any FTA will need an enforcement mechanism (as all FTAs do) and, based on the Political Declaration, that will almost certainly be the CJEU
    Leave the Single Market - I’ll give you that, but what was promised was access as good as membership. We have that for transition but not thereafter
    Have a free trade deal with Europe - what Free Trade Deal? Did I miss something?
    Have our own trade policies with the rest of the world - must have missed them too
    Maintain peace in Northern Ireland - that is the biggest hostage to fortune I’ve ever read given Fosters recent meetings with the UVF
    Extra money for the NHS - how does that come from this deal? That could have happened anytime. Perhaps the money “spaffed” up the wall during the recently pulled Brexit advertising Blitz, or minting millions of commemorative 50p coins, could have been thus diverted.
  • Options
    If Parliament rejects an extension then the EU absolutely should reject an extension longer than a fortnight. Say "you have two weeks to ratify the deal, goodbye".
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

"No Deal off the table" has just become a mantra for the mendacious.

No Deal off the table means we have to sign up to whatever the EU proposes. However extreme, however preposterous. THAT is what Abbott means us to have.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,395

The day withday.

To put it into some perspective: you’d have had a large number of pensioners who were WW1 veterans voting in 1974.
    Since you made the claim, could you supply the dat
    Y.

I .

There were millions of veterans votes in 1974 that drove a very different voting culture. You’ve switched to a straw man now because you can’t defeat the original point.

All you’ve done on here this morning is embarrass yourself. If you’re representative of the Tory point of view (and we’re supposed to be ON THE SAME SIDE) then Boris will get thumped.

I have no more time to waste on morons like you. I now have to go and do some work.
    Who is switching cases? Your original claim was about WW1 veterans - which we’ve established was probably in the hundreds of thousands - but you’ve now switched to “Veterans“ this including WWII to bump the total up.

You’re switching cases. My point has been consistent throughout the morning.

You’re simply trying to modify and narrow the parameters of the point to win a technical debating victory, so you feel better about yourself.

It’s needy and pathetic.

My view is that WW1 veterans consisted a sizeable plurality of male pensioners in 1974. If you add WWII veterans the number is in the millions.

You can’t therefore go back to 1974 and say, ah! People will turn out to vote in large numbers if it’s important. The electorate and attitudes to politics are very different today.

FWIW i’d expect turnout in the 60-65% box, dependent on weather.
  • Options

I am democratic
    Perfectly put.
  • Options

If Parliament rejects an extension then the EU absolutely should reject an extension longer than a fortnight. Say "you have two weeks to ratify the deal, goodbye".

What's wrong with the 31st October?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    And think of all the criticism if we had exited without information.

I expect I should ask him when he stopped betting his wife / husband (in these enlightened times, do we have to have a gender neutral way of phrasing that question?).
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    The campaign wasn't in preparation for No Deal specifically, it was in preparation for leaving in general. So not entirely accurate from Sam Gyimah.
  • Options

No Deal off the table means we have to sign up to whatever the EU proposes. However extreme, however preposterous. THAT is what Abbott means us to have.
    Which would be Boris's deal, so Abbott can do that already.
  • Options
    PaulMPaulM Posts: 613
    Pro_Rata said:

I would think the ask is that Revoke be made the legal default in the event of no extension.
    So the EU could deny the extension and Brexit gets cancelled automatically ? Then Johnson has to fight an election on going through the last three years all over again ?
  • Options
    Brom said:

Brom said:

148grss said:
    That's fine but the Conservatives are offering their Brexit to voters, which seems pretty democratic. If you don't like what they offer don't vote for them. Soubry, Wollaston and Umunna have changed parties (more than once) and still are trying to hide away from letting the public have a say on what they stand for. Boris may be many things but in the eyes of the British public he isn't the one looking like a coward.
    When people talk about the British public they tend to talk about the parts of the British public they agree with. I and many others think Johnson is a coward, he has sought the benefits of office whilst shirking the responsibilities that come with it his whole life.
    I don't think the polling shares that view, cowards run away from elections rather than seek them.
    So those who reject a People’s Vote (sic) are cowards?
  • Options

You want foreign powers to interfere with our elections?

Are you a traitor or a saboteur?
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,903

The day with the latest sunrise, the winter solstice, is December 22nd. I hadn’t realised until checking this that the earliest sunset and the latest sunrise do not happen on the same day.

A 15.51 sunset happens between December 8th - 17th in London and varies by less across the month (9 minutes - 16.00-15.51) than sunrise (23 minutes, 07.43-08.06), so there's nothing particularly special about the 12th.

It's also worth noting that the last "winter" GE we had - February 1974 had a turnout of 78.8% - up 6.8% on the June 1970 election that saw Heath win - the highest turnout since 1951 and higher than any general election since then. Before that, the highest turnout (83.9%) had been February 1950.

If people want to vote, they will.

Top 5 UK General elections ranked by turnout since 1950:

February 1950 - 83.9%
    October 1951 - 82.6%
    February 1974 - 78.8%
    October 1959 - 78.7%
    October 1964 - 77.1%

The lowest turnout GE was in June 2001 (59.4%)

Politicians fear of "people not voting in winter General Elections" is not supported by the facts.

It’s not as much to do with politicians fearing people not turning out in the winter, it’s the politicians and their activists not wanting to be out knocking doors in the winter. There’s little sympathy from the public coming their way in the current environment.
  • Options
    So long as the election isn’t delayed by a week otherwise there’ll be hell to pay as that would clash with the release of The Rise Of Skywalker.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,148
    AndyJS said:

Scott_P said:
    The campaign wasn't in preparation for No Deal specifically, it was in preparation for leaving in general. So not entirely accurate from Sam Gyimah.
    The ads I read detailed eventualities that would not have occurred during a transition period so they were largely aimed at a no deal. Under the transition that the deal implements we are effectively at a standstill until the end of next year.
  • Options

The day withday.

Y.

I .

It’s needy and pathetic.
    As I wrote, it is possible to disagree without being disagreeable.....
  • Options

Which would be Boris's deal, so Abbott can do that already.
    The problem is you're saying the choice is between this deal or no deal (the same argument May made). As Johnson and the ERG argued then, this is a false dichotomy, because why not renegotiate a different deal that can pass the house instead? Now Johnson has proved it can be done, why can't anyone else claim the EU would have to reopen it for them? Elsewise would be the EU playing favourites with political parties in a specific country.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Whilst that’s true, 1974 was a very long time ago.

The UK and people attitude to duty, deference and obligation have changed an awful lot in the last 45 years.

Probably not - average UK life
    Since you made the claim, could you supply the data please?
    You have to decide what constitutes "a lot" in this context before looking at the data,
    Yes, and you’d have a much larger number of WWII veterans on top.

My point is that in understanding such a high turnout we have to understand that it was also informed by millions of voters who’d personally served in the cause of defending democracy by force of arms, and saw voting in all weathers as a duty.

So we must be careful of comparing them and us today directly.
    The numbers of WW2 veterans who made for such high turnouts in 1950 would have been huge still in 1974. This interviews filmed in 63 and 64 are with a fairly spritely bunch. Many more would still be around a decade later.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/group/p01tbj6p

I remember admitting WW1 vets and chatting with them well into the nineties.
    I envy you. I’d have loved to have had that opportunity.
    Admitting patients, and getting to know them is one of the great pleasures of my job. Very few elderly people have never done something of interest, and hearing their tales is a window into real history.

I remember chatting to one retired insurance agent from suburban Leicester, one of 4 from 36 in his Fleet Air Arm training squadron who survived, another who got an MC at Imphal as a junior officer, a Dunkirk veteran from the RA telling how they destroyed their guns on the beach before getting out by taking key parts and chucking them in the sea etc etc.
    Fascinating. Thanks.
  • Options
    asjohnstoneasjohnstone Posts: 1,276

148grss said:
    David Allen Green. Started off interesting but like so many driven mad by Brexit, now just another deeply partisan hack
  • Options
    edited October 2019

I am democratic
    The problem with a referendum is that opinion is heavily split on whether or not Remain should be on the ballot paper. Probably around half of people believe it shouldn't be, because we already voted against it in 2016, and therefore any further referendum should be on the type of Leave. But the other half (or thereabouts) think Remain should be on the ballot paper because the reason the want another referendum in the first place is because Remain is their favoured outcome.
  • Options

The day withday.

Y.

I .

It’s needy and pathetic.
    Then perhaps think about that next time before being so petty and pedantic.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

The Saj rap on R4 this am:

Zombie Parliament
    Zombie Parliament
    Zombie Parliament
    And can I just say
    Zombie Parliament

Not one of life's sparklers, is he?

Him, Patel, Dim Dom - has there ever been a more lightweight trio in the Big 3 offices of state?

And then there's the guy who's PM.
    And then... there's Diane Abbott!!
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,694
    148grss said:

I am democratic
    I think this is pretty accurate. Politicians are aware they lack a mandate to continue at the moment, but don't really want to reclaim a mandate in a way that doesn't benefit them. So what is the answer?

It would be interesting especially if the government that formed disagreed with the outcome of the new referendum (both a Con / Remain win, for example), but it could be interesting. It may allow people to vote how they want in a party political way without it being a reflection of Brexit policy. Say you're a Remain Tory. Well, you can vote Tory with a conscience, and vote remain at the ref. Leave Labour? The same.
    Yep, simultaneous referendum and GE works for me.
  • Options
    In a 'the food has rotted in the fields' update Morrisons are selling whole cabbages, whole swedes, 500g carrots, 500g onions and 500g parsnips for 30p each.

But what was unusual was that the cabbages weren't displaying a union flag but a Lincolnshire flag instead.

Is there some sort of Lincolnshire independence movement which has prompted this ?
  • Options

Brom said:

Brom said:

148grss said:
    A people's vote isn't about individuals is it? In fact its a cowardly way of individuals trying to avoid putting themselves in front of the public. No wonder the likes of Soubry want one, it's the only mechanism she has to cling on to her seat for another year.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited October 2019

Brom said:

Brom said:

148grss said:
    If by People's Vote you mean General Election then yes.
  • Options

148grss said:
    David Allen Green. Started off interesting but like so many driven mad by Brexit, now just another deeply partisan hack
    I assumed it was a parody account. Can imagine him foaming at the mouth as his tweets.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,004

Brom said:

Brom said:

148grss said:
    If by People's Vote you mean General Election then yes.
    Boris did send the letter.
  • Options

148grss said:
    I mean, considering he is Eurosceptic who would have voted for the May deal, I just think he is someone who points out the hypocrisy of the government a lot (which is kinda his bag as a lawyer and constitution geek)

https://twitter.com/davidallengreen/status/1167332510461833216
  • Options

The day withday.

Y.

I .

It’s needy and pathetic.
    Then perhaps think about that next time before being so petty and pedantic.
    Physician heal thyself!
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

No one is predicting they lose 12 of their 13 seats.

An unwind of the previous election's SLD to SCon swing would hurt the Cons badly in Scotland.
  • Options

In a 'the food has rotted in the fields' update Morrisons are selling whole cabbages, whole swedes, 500g carrots, 500g onions and 500g parsnips for 30p each.

But what was unusual was that the cabbages weren't displaying a union flag but a Lincolnshire flag instead.

Is there some sort of Lincolnshire independence movement which has prompted this ?

Fingers crossed.
  • Options

Off topic, passing through Brussels en route to Rotterdam. The sun is shining, the trains are on time, Brexit Britain feels a long way away although the train was only a couple of hours.

Thousands of Dutch farmers drove their tractors on Tuesday to a huge protest against government climate policies, causing the country' biggest ever traffic jams, officials said.

The farmers travelled from all over the country to The Hague for the four-wheeled demonstration, saying they had been unfairly blamed for emissions that cause climate change.

The tailbacks caused by the tractors were a total of 1,136 kilometres (705 miles) long, making it the "busiest ever morning rush hour", according to Dutch traffic organisation the ANWB.

https://www.france24.com/en/20191001-tractor-protest-sparks-biggest-dutch-traffic-jam
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Alistair said:

An unwind of the previous election's SLD to SCon swing would hurt the Cons badly in Scotland.
    How many Scottish Tory seats are not in the north-east, Borders, or Ayrshire? I can only think of Stirling. That's probably the one they're most likely to lose.
  • Options
    "Whatever this is going to be an issue as all physical matters relating to people’s ability to vote can have an impact on the outcome."

NO!!!!

There should be a comma after 'whatever'

Another thickie thread opener
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Scott_P said:
    It was surreal. Signs saying get ready for brexit. You might need to do something. Not sure when. Or what. Get ready!
  • Options
    Not sure if anyone else has pointed this out as haven't had a chance to catch up on the threads between, but re that poll about violence to MPs yesterday..

Remainers think it's much more likely, whatever the Brexit outcome

Violence to MPs likely if UK leaves EU:
    Remainers - 69%
    Leavers - 35%

Violence to MPs likely if UK remains in EU:
    Remainers - 61%
    Leavers - 54%

They also think that protests where the public get injured are more likely if we leave, though tied on remain

Public injured in protests if UK leaves:
    Remainers - 70%
    Leavers - 32%

Public injured in protests if UK remains:
    Remainers - 54%
    Leavers - 54%

Who's predicting violence here then?
  • Options
    One could argue that having a general election is the best way to approximate having a referendum with multiple options.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Mr Richard,

"Is there some sort of Lincolnshire independence movement which has prompted this ?"

Whenever I go back to Boston, I pass a few blue and green quartered flags on the way. I don't remember seeing any as a child. They're not happy bunnies, but it's not yet a serious movement.

• Options

Charles said:

Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

I think there is a difference between an election in February or October and one in mid-December, less than 2 weeks till Christmas. My work Xmas party is the next day, for instance (could make for a very awkward evening). Nobody will thank the Tories for this, I think Labour should go for it.

The last time a PM went to the country in December it backfired for him horribly. I predict a repeat.
    When was that?
    6th December 1923

The PM Stanley Baldwin started the campaign with 344 seats and ended it by losing 86 of them.
    So, 4 years short of a century ago. Yep - that’s a telling precedent.....
    If you were HYUFD, you'd be claiming it was an iron rule.
    The only phrase I can say in a Belfast accent is “the iron law of historical necessity” - paisleys justification for saying NO
    Have you decided whether to be Irish or not yet?
    I’m in no hurry to do so. Having two passports isn’t something that should be done lightly. I just mentioned it was an option if things become intolerable
    You're lucky. Some of us didn't vote for Brexit and have no such option.
    If you can prove some familial connection to Charles from 5 centuries ago, he'll see what he can do on the old influence front.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

148grss said:

I am democratic

Surely a GE manifesto with a Brexit position is sufficient?
  • Options

Thousands of Dutch farmers drove their tractors on Tuesday to a huge protest against government climate policies, causing the country' biggest ever traffic jams, officials said.

The farmers travelled from all over the country to The Hague for the four-wheeled demonstration, saying they had been unfairly blamed for emissions that cause climate change.

The tailbacks caused by the tractors were a total of 1,136 kilometres (705 miles) long, making it the "busiest ever morning rush hour", according to Dutch traffic organisation the ANWB.

https://www.france24.com/en/20191001-tractor-protest-sparks-biggest-dutch-traffic-jam
    Traffic jams unlikely to impact the Eurostar to be fair.

Last time we were in the Netherlands a clog maker (no stereotyping) told us that he hated the EU and loved Brexit. We respectfully disagreed.
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,257
    rcs1000 said:

I think there is a difference between an election in February or October and one in mid-December, less than 2 weeks till Christmas. My work Xmas party is the next day, for instance (could make for a very awkward evening). Nobody will thank the Tories for this, I think Labour should go for it.

The last time a PM went to the country in December it backfired for him horribly. I predict a repeat.
    When was that?
    6th December 1923

The PM Stanley Baldwin started the campaign with 344 seats and ended it by losing 86 of them.
    It is, as thr
    SunnyJim said:

Foxy said:

Timing an election to make it difficult to register, yes.

There is virtually no evidence of impersonation at polling booths under present systems.

Taken from the UCAS website explaining how to register:

...Registering online only takes about three minutes, so there are no excuses!

and yet there are millions who aren't registered to vote. they tend to be young people, renters, people who change address.
    I would be in favour of automatic voter registration. it's actually ridiculous the UK doesn't already do it.
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/sep/27/more-than-9-million-eligible-voters-not-correctly-registered
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,465
    philiph said:

Scott_P said:
    And think of all the criticism if we had exited without information.

I expect I should ask him when he stopped betting his wife / husband (in these enlightened times, do we have to have a gender neutral way of phrasing that question?).
    I am fed up to the back teeth of all the incessant whining from all sides to events that have arisen because of situations they themselves have helped to create.

• Options
    Foxy said:

148grss said:

I am democratic

Only issue I see is if a party ran on a platform of ignoring the 2nd ref and won, and the 2nd ref was won for Remain. That conflict of mandate would be constitutionally tricky...

But it is interesting. Do manifesto pledges trump referendum? LDs suggest yes. I think if Tories lost a GE and Lab could form a government on a manifesto pledge of 2nd ref with remain as an option, then many would cry not...
  • Options

Charles said:

Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

When was that?
    6th December 1923

The only phrase I can say in a Belfast accent is “the iron law of historical necessity” - paisleys justification for saying NO
    I’m in no hurry to do so. Having two passports isn’t something that should be done lightly. I just mentioned it was an option if things become intolerable
    If you can prove some familial connection to Charles from 5 centuries ago, he'll see what he can do on the old influence front.
    I am way too common to be related to Charles.
  • Options
    On topic, and by way of light relief from politics, the date of the latest sunrise is not the solstice (21st) December but the 30th. This is because there's a discrepancy between clock time (where the day is invariably 24 hours) and astronomical time (where the length of the day varies). The difference between the two - the equation of time - has been known for centuries and explains the variation between clocks and sundials - sometimes as much as 20 minutes positive or negative. The principal causes are (a) the earth's elliptical orbit around the sun and (b) wobbles in the axis of tilt, and, unlike Brexit, are reassuringly predictable.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

The issue is that Parliament is not doing its job

It is preventing the executive from doing its but is not willing to replace the executive
  • Options

Not sure if anyone else has pointed this out as haven't had a chance to catch up on the threads between, but re that poll about violence to MPs yesterday..

Remainers - 69%
    Leavers - 35%

Remainers - 61%
    Leavers - 54%

They also think that protests where the public get injured are more likely if we leave, though tied on remain

Remainers - 70%
    Leavers - 32%

Remainers - 54%
    Leavers - 54%

A lot of people are questioning this survey.
  • Options
    Charles said:

The issue is that Parliament is not doing its job

It is preventing the executive from doing its but is not willing to replace the executive
    Parliament passed the WA and it is the executive who have stalled it specifically for seeking political advantage.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    TOPPING said:

I think most sensible voters will conclude, prior to voting, that the Conservative Party is the worst political party, except for all the others.

I have long said I expect an NOM but not sure. Jezza really is playing it badly. As one of their MPs (I think) so aptly put it: they have convinced Leavers that they are for Remain and Remainers that they are for Leave. Perfectly put and likely to be very off-putting to just about anyone.

The only people who could have any enthusiasm for voting Labour right now are those who think this Govt. is all about letting the poor starve and die from lack of care. And yet even they must be concerned that Labour is keeping this Govt. in office to, er, let the poor starve and die from lack of care.

Labour - huh - what is it good for?

Absolutely nothin'.....
  • Options

Remainers - 69%
    Leavers - 35%

Remainers - 61%
    Leavers - 54%

Remainers - 70%
    Leavers - 32%

Remainers - 54%
    Leavers - 54%

61% of Remainers & 54% of Leavers if Leavers don't get their way it would appear. I'm assuming both are united in thinking it would come from Leavers?
  • Options
    If Boris wants a GE, then hold off on Brexit plans and state that it wont happen before 31 Jan(which it may not anyway). Corbyn has no reason to refuse since by winning the election he can decide on his EU position then.
  • Options

Forgive my ignorance but what does one do with rotted veg? Can it be turned into tasty soups? Or is this for throwing at local politicians perhaps?
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Remainers - 69%
    Leavers - 35%

Remainers - 61%
    Leavers - 54%

Remainers - 70%
    Leavers - 32%

Remainers - 54%
    Leavers - 54%

What I read yesterday was people raising the other half of the survey, ie would the violence be a risk worth taking - to which those that thinks it's not at all likely would surely be more likely to agree.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Has there been any polling on what percentage of people would like there to be no further referendums in future on any subject?
  • Options

That's the one where the tractors avoided the police roadblocks by, er, simply crossing fields!
  • Options
    sirclive said:

Foxy said:

148grss said:

I am democratic

Surely a GE manifesto with a Brexit position is sufficient?
    If some would be uncomfortable with LDs revoke position should they get a majority, for example, it is useful to have that double mandate.

It is also a useful way to separate the Single issue of Brexit from other politics. It sounds like many PBers would vote Conservative, for example, were it not for Brexit.

By returning Brexit to a referendum at the same time as a GE there are two separate mandates: what do you want re Brexit, and who do you want to implement it.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,997
    Foxy said:

I disagree. Parliament is doing a splendid job of representing a divided nation unable to agree on anything.

how would you know when they have not been asked, crystal ball?
  • Options

Charles said:

Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

When was that?
    6th December 1923

Another Leaver considering ways out of his decision.
    No, you are misrepresenting what I said

The Irish government has written to us asking us to take up our right to citizenship

I have not declined their kind invitation. That doesn’t mean I am considering it, actively or not.
  • Options

Charles said:

Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

When was that?
    6th December 1923

The Irish government has written to us asking us to take up our right to citizenship

I have not declined their kind invitation. That doesn’t mean I am considering it, actively or not.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Has there been any polling on what percentage of people would like there to be no further referendums in future?

Lets settle it with a best of three referendum with vague questions. Advisorary only of course.
  • Options

Charles said:

Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

When was that?
    6th December 1923

I am way too common to be related to Charles.
    You're probably related through Genghis Khan.....
  • Options
    edited October 2019

AndyJS said:

Remainers - 69%
    Leavers - 35%

Remainers - 61%
    Leavers - 54%

Remainers - 70%
    Leavers - 32%

Remainers - 54%
    Leavers - 54%

What I read yesterday was people raising the other half of the survey, ie would the violence be a risk worth taking - to which those that thinks it's not at all likely would surely be more likely to agree.
    Would, say, throwing rotten fruit at politicians count as violence? That used to be a traditional way of expressing disappointment with people (like actors and actresses at music hall performances for instance). Or throwing a milkshake at someone, as happened to Farage. I don't know what the definition is. Not a nice subject though. Hopefully the survey is not accurate.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

When was that?
    6th December 1923

Not declining it is surely inactively considering it?
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,997
    AndyJS said:

Alistair said:

How many Scottish Tory seats are not in the north-east, Borders, or Ayrshire? I can only think of Stirling. That's probably the one they're most likely to lose.
    The dummies in the NE must by now be waking from the dream that the Tories would do anything other than shaft them. Now the Messiah is gone , how can the sheep left be of any value other than as lapdogs for London, not a backbone among them.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    malcolmg said:

Foxy said:

how would you know when they have not been asked, crystal ball?
    *whispers*: They were asked in a referendum that produced a polarising 52/48 result, and then again in an election which produced a hung parliament...
  • Options

Fascinating. Thanks.

About 20 years ago I remember watching a programme on BBC Something in the afternoon and it was these old blokes, all in collar and tie, and patterned cardigans sitting on velour armchairs chatting over tea about funny stuff that happened during the war. Any one of them could have been your favourite great uncle and they were just the sort of folk that the woke generation would have taken the piss out of mercilessly as being old fogeys and out of touch.

And then the credits rolled and listed the participants and each one of them had at least two or three of an AFC, DFC, DSO, etc. It was the most amazing thing I wish I could remember what prog it was.
  • Options

Remainers - 69%
    Leavers - 35%

Remainers - 61%
    Leavers - 54%

Remainers - 70%
    Leavers - 32%

Remainers - 54%
    Leavers - 54%

61% of Remainers & 54% of Leavers if Leavers don't get their way it would appear. I'm assuming both are united in thinking it would come from Leavers?
    69% of Remainers think there'll be violence to MPs if they don't get their way.

Do you think they think this violence will also come from Leavers who are getting their way?
  • Options

Forgive my ignorance but what does one do with rotted veg? Can it be turned into tasty soups? Or is this for throwing at local politicians perhaps?
    I imagine most people just throw it in the bin.

But as so much fruit and vegetables are thrown away its certainly a worthwhile question.

During rationing wasn't it collected and fed to pigs or added to compost heaps ?
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,047
    We know that Brexit is divisive, has divided families like nothing since Thatcher. I'm not entirely comfortable with all this postal voting.
This discussion has been closed.