Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The People Will Speak

Comments

• Options
    FlannerFlanner Posts: 408
    Drakeford's correctly pointed out that the Johnson deal has alarming consequences for Welsh ports:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-50083216

The same argument could be made about Merseyside, except that there's no Scouse nationalist party - yet. But it'll only be a few hours before a Scouse MP (Fields) or other politician makes that

Is this the beginning of the Johnson deal's death by a thousand press conferences as each of its 110 pages gets its moment in the sun of glaring scrutiny?
  • Options

This could indeed be the true Brexit breakthrough moment. Initiated, rather bemusingly, by Corbyn last night who was statesmanlike and dignified. I think Corbyn would quite like Brexit put to bed.

The question though is whether Johnson will stomach amendments. As he's not really a Brexiteer and the only things he's passionate about are himself and other people's wives (in that order) the answer I think will be 'yes.' He'll get it done, just not quite on his terms and not quite in his timescale. Corbyn will be able to point out that he nudged the whole thing along when it was stuck and both might save face.

And the General Election will then be next year at the earliest and will have nothing to do with Brexit.

Any amendments on customs union or referendum Boris pulls it

This meeting with Boris, Corbyn et al seems more likely to be about a GE
  • Options
    SunnyJimSunnyJim Posts: 1,106

This could indeed be the true Brexit breakthrough moment. Initiated, rather bemusingly, by Corbyn last night who was statesmanlike and dignified. I think Corbyn would quite like Brexit put to bed.

The question though is whether Johnson will stomach amendments. As he's not really a Brexiteer and the only things he's passionate about are himself and other people's wives (in that order) the answer I think will be 'yes.' He'll get it done, just not quite on his terms and not quite in his timescale. Corbyn will be able to point out that he nudged the whole thing along when it was stuck and both might save face.

And the General Election will then be next year at the earliest and will have nothing to do with Brexit.

How will amendments work on a deal that has been agreed?

What happens when the EU refuses to re-open the WA?

Does the government keeping making requests to changes to the WA each time a wrecking amendment is passed by the opposition?
  • Options
    Henry_CHenry_C Posts: 73
    edited October 2019

Henry_C said:

Henry_C said:

It's nice that PB has yet another expert on matters Scotch, the collective wisdom on this subject is unsurpassed.

Can you give a brief breakdown on how the SNP would call for a Scottish GE, and the mechanism required to bring it about?

They would need two thirds of MSPs to vote in favour. That's why they can only "call for" an SGE, rather than "call" one. Remind you of any other Parliament?

The other route would be for the First Minister to resign (off her own bat or because she got VONCed) and nobody to be elected to the office within 28 days.
    I'm gratified to have increased traffic to Google, if only infinitesimally.

Now, what extraordinary question do you think this convoluted and without precedent process would be the answer to?
    How to cure oneself of the habit of throwing unpleasant sarcasm and then expecting to be answered?

That's the first time I've heard "precedent" used to describe a process clearly defined by statute, by the way.

What's "convoluted" about "Let's have an election - are there two-thirds of members in favour?"

Your first sentence doesn't even make sense.

noun
    noun: precedent; plural noun: precedents
    /ˈprɛsɪd(ə)nt/

an earlier event or action that is regarded as an example or guide to be considered in subsequent similar circumstances.
    If you were in the habit of constructing arguments rather than throwing handfuls of sarcastic dung at people you would present your claim clearly that it's difficult for legitimate and respectable reasons for the SNP's minority government to call for an SGE. Your problem would be that it isn't.

How many times a week do you ask a person to explain something to you that you should already have known if you are deigning to take part in the exchange at all and then, after they have explained it to you politely, sneer at them that they got it from Google? That move is so dirt cheap that it hurts to watch.

It's idiotic to claim that it would be hard for the SNP to call for an extraordinary SGE because there has been no "precedent" for such a move in the 20 years since the Scottish Parliament was revived. We're talking about a statutory mechanism in respect of which there is no relevant lack of clarity or need for precedent. Of course the outcome would not be fully known in advance, but that was part of my point. Similarly the mechanism is not in the slightest bit "convoluted". You've totally lost an argument you were never in. I'm putting you on ignore now.
  • Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688
    edited October 2019

Not so sure about that. I don't think a PV amendment will have enough support. CU probably will. Michael Gove wasn't especially anti it. Johnson won't give a shit. His only concern will be losing the ERG. But if he gets Labour support that won't bother him either. Look at the DUP if you don't believe me.

A man without principles won't care.
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786

Not so sure about that. I don't think a PV amendment will have enough support. CU probably will. Michael Gove wasn't especially anti it. Johnson won't give a shit. His only concern will be losing the ERG. But if he gets Labour support that won't bother him either. Look at the DUP if you don't believe me.

A man without principles won't give a shit.
    Customs union is totally unacceptable to pretty much the entire Tory party with the exception of Ken Clarke. If it passes (very doubtful) the bill is pulled
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    edited October 2019
    CU amendment - depends how it is worded. If it is "And shall seek" or alters PD that is fine. Inside the WA it is wrecking.
  • Options
    Sky

Labour re-iterates they will negotiate a timeline for the deal but will go to a GE on confirmation of the extension
  • Options
    SunnyJim said:

Does the government keeping making requests to changes to the WA each time a wrecking amendment is passed by the opposition?
    I think all amendments would be with regard to positions in future FT negotiations.
  • Options
    PeterCPeterC Posts: 1,274

Fenster said:

Former BBC employees sent nuts by Brexit:

- Gavin Esler
    - Robert Peston
    - Shelagh Fogerty
    - Paul Mason
    - Sir Michael Smithson :smiley:

That's a tad unfair, Paul Mason was always nuts.

Fenster said:

- Gavin Esler
    - Robert Peston
    - Shelagh Fogerty
    - Paul Mason

He did some good work covering the Greek crisis for Channel4 in 2015. Of late he has seemed quite unhinged.
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    The Brexit Party will thrive - but from Labour Brexiteers heading that way. Boris will still be polling in the high thirties.

Labour are reading this so wrong....
    I’m not sure the Brexit Party will thrive.
    From my lofty perch in Yvette Cooper's 70% leave constituency, where a Brexit Party candidate will more than likely stand, I think yes, they'll take some votes. There are some really vocal Brexiteers round here. But I don't think it'll be enough to dethrone Cooper. And I suspect a sizeable proportion of BP votes will be from local Tories who's vote has effectively been wasted in this constituency for decades.
  • Options
    SunnyJim said:

Do get over the childish 'wrecking' and 'surrender' language. It's pathetic.

The bill passed a second reading. Progress. We can see this through. It will just require the headbangers on both sides to give up their shibboleths.

Which is ultimately what will happen. It just seems to take time for it to sink in.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    When Corbyn wanted to sabotage talks with May, he brought along ultra-remainer Starmer for that purpose.

No Starmer today.
  • Options
    I think that Ken Clarke may have precipitated a GE by saying he is going to co-author an amendment with labour for a customs union. That would be the end of this deal
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,801
    Flanner said:

Drakeford's correctly pointed out that the Johnson deal has alarming consequences for Welsh ports:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-50083216

The same argument could be made about Merseyside, except that there's no Scouse nationalist party - yet. But it'll only be a few hours before a Scouse MP (Fields) or other politician makes that

Is this the beginning of the Johnson deal's death by a thousand press conferences as each of its 110 pages gets its moment in the sun of glaring scrutiny?

That's interesting, also because exactly the same problem - of a customs barrier - applies to Boris Bridge Mark 2 from NI to Scotland as being discussed by Messrs Malcy and LuckyGuy this morning. Possibly partly mitigated if sealed containers could go straight through.

https://www.architectsjournal.co.uk/news/irish-pm-says-northern-ireland-to-scotland-bridge-should-be-taken-seriously/10044895.article
  • Options

SunnyJim said:

The bill passed a second reading. Progress. We can see this through. It will just require the headbangers on both sides to give up their shibboleths.

Which is ultimately what will happen. It just seems to take time for it to sink in.
    Wrecking is the recognized term for am amendment which completely alters the purpose of the bill, it's not a pejorative term
  • Options

DUP remain against customs union
  • Options

I think that Ken Clarke may have precipitated a GE by saying he is going to co-author an amendment with labour for a customs union. That would be the end of this deal

I think it would command a majority in the House. So there you have it: a Brexit deal supported by the HoC. The EU won't care, they'll like it.
  • Options

Its unlikely to pass imo, no more than 5 ex tories for it, DUP LD and SNP previously against, dealers likely to avoid to get deal done
  • Options
    I wonder when the Tory right will clock that Johnson-Cummings will sell them down the river too.

Neither of them has the slightest principle.
  • Options
    Good article Ms Cyclefree, to which I'd add three points:

1. I think that you identify very well the chief reasons behind the Brexit vote. In terms of the local/regional vs national/global argument, this is backed up by the fact that of the four regions that had devolved Government at the time - Wales, Scotland, NI and London, three voted strongly to remain. The fourth (Wales) has had ineffective government that is largely controlled by the central Labour party and this could be a reason why it voted to leave. ALL other regions voted to leave. This is a clear correlation to back up your theory. I am told by contacts of mine that Boris is investigating further devolved government for England and possibly for the regions of England - with this in mind this would appear to be the way to go, moving away from central government to decisions taken at a regional level. The EU, of course, is one step further away from central government hence it is often seen as unrepresentative.

2. While the problem for addressing the causes of Brexit will inevitably pass to the government should it succeed in getting it through, surely at the current time the burden for addressing these concerns rests with those who wish to overturn the result, of which you, I believe, are one? Unless there is an attempt to address these underlying concerns then the Remain side leave themselves wide open to being perceived as antidemocratic, a view which appears to be favoured by a large slice of the population. Why do you feel your side has been so negligent in this regard?

TBC...
  • Options

You have misunderstood I suspect.

'Surrender' is childish language (which wasn't used) however 'wrecking' in this context is a common term.

So my questions stand about how these amendments would work now the WA has been agreed with the EU.

• Options

SunnyJim said:

Wrecking is the recognized term for am amendment which completely alters the purpose of the bill, it's not a pejorative term
    It is and it's a redundant adjective.

Just use the word 'amendment' and leave out your prejudices.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,983

Its unlikely to pass imo, no more than 5 ex tories for it, DUP LD and SNP previously against, dealers likely to avoid to get deal done
    I'm not so sure - if there isn't much chance of an election - it's closer to what the SNP and LDs want than anything else.

Plus it probably makes an election closer so it's a win win option for them.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143

SunnyJim said:

"Wrecking" is not childish, it has a specific meaning as a part of Westminster jargon. It even has a page in the Parliament glossary.
  • Options
    TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,662

SunnyJim said:

I thought 'wrecking amendment' was an official term, used to describe an amendment that was designed to destroy a piece of legislation and can therefore be rejected by the Speaker for debate.
  • Options
    The point is that in the HoC in order to get Brexit there will have to be compromise. Anyone dreaming that somehow there's a path paved in gold to a HoC full of Mark Francois is in cuckoo land. The likelihood is that a General Election will produce more of the same: another hung parliament of some manner.

Which is pretty much the state of play in the country.

So, whilst 'compromise' may be a dirty word still for some, it's the only way to deliver Brexit.
  • Options

SunnyJim said:

Oh dear oh dear oh dear.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

On the ERG front, Boris has cleverly recruited Jacob Rees-Mogg from his official post as ERG chair and unofficial post as its token intellectual. JRM is now bound by collective responsibility and ambition to agree with every Boris/Cummings wheeze and most of the ERG will take his word for it.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    I find it difficult to believe that Swinson wrote that.

Why would she include 'six white men' in what otherwise is a legitimate argument.
  • Options

I think it would command a majority in the House. So there you have it: a Brexit deal supported by the HoC. The EU won't care, they'll like it.
    You are expressing your own hopes but are unrealistic

It is not negotiable in this deal and would change matters and there is no time for the EU to amend this complex treaty
  • Options

SunnyJim said:

It isn't a redundant adjective, it is the widely accepted adjective for such an amendment. It has nothing to do with the specifics of Brexit. And I haven't called anything wrecking or surrender, so my prejudices are not just irrelevant, they are unrevealed
  • Options
    nunuonenunuone Posts: 1,138
    Rubbish first question from Rupa Haq.

How bitter.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,171

SunnyJim said:

A wrecking amendment is a proposal to change the wording of a Bill so that it is made useless, contradictory or unworkable in some way. This type of amendment is used intentionally by an opponent of the Bill.
    https://www.parliament.uk/site-information/glossary/wrecking-amendment/
  • Options
    Given how upsetting many on here find the use of the term "surrender bill", how do they feel about "slavery clause"?
  • Options
    TudorRose said:

SunnyJim said:

I thought 'wrecking amendment' was an official term, used to describe an amendment that was designed to destroy a piece of legislation and can therefore be rejected by the Speaker for debate.
    Eh ? I thought they were allowed. Letwin on the MV was clearly wrecking as if/when passed nullified the MV and meant it couldn't be brought a second time.
  • Options
    edited October 2019

Not so sure about that. I don't think a PV amendment will have enough support. CU probably will.
    An all-Britain CU is close to May's Deal in the form in which it was about to be agreed with Labour before the ERG got rid of the May administration. Then the Kinnock amendment to the Benn Bill went through because, ahem, the Johnson government didn't provide tellers. Let's not forget the Kinnock amendment:

"The PM must seek to obtain (...) an extension (...) in order to debate and pass a Bill to implement the agreement between the UK and the EU under (A50), including provisions reflecting the outcome of inter-party talks as announced by the PM on 21 May 2019, and in particular the need for the UK to secure changes to the political declaration to reflect the outcome of those inter-party talks".

• Options
    SunnyJim said:

Scott_P said:

Why would she include 'six white men' in what otherwise is a legitimate argument.
    Because she thinks it will appeal to her super woke base of SJWs
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,545
    Scott_P said:
    Yes. That is hiding in plain sight. He has voted against Europe for 40 years and stood as leader on a Brexit manifesto in 2017. We knew that. The complicated bit is not 'Is he a Brexiteer' but 'How does the politics of power work out in this situation'.
  • Options
    nunuone said:

How bitter.

Wholly out of order and as childish as anything Boris has done
  • Options
    SunnyJim said:

Scott_P said:

Sadly it's not difficult to believe. The LibDems made a very bad choice.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,931
    edited October 2019

The point is that in the HoC in order to get Brexit there will have to be compromise. Anyone dreaming that somehow there's a path paved in gold to a HoC full of Mark Francois is in cuckoo land. The likelihood is that a General Election will produce more of the same: another hung parliament of some manner.

Which is pretty much the state of play in the country.

So, whilst 'compromise' may be a dirty word still for some, it's the only way to deliver Brexit.

I think you are right, but the problem is, when Brexit backing politicians compromise, it is called "an embarrassing climbdown", "A great victory for Varadkar/Ireland/Barnier/The EU" etc
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    Maybe Google's new quantum computer can work out what the Brexit dividend really is.
  • Options
    NorthstarNorthstar Posts: 140

SunnyJim said:

It isn't a redundant adjective, it is the widely accepted adjective for such an amendment. It has nothing to do with the specifics of Brexit. And I haven't called anything wrecking or surrender, so my prejudices are not just irrelevant, they are unrevealed
    Speaking of language - what do we reckon Boris will do at PMQs - continue the ‘glutinous emollience’ of the past few weeks, or do a (Geoffrey) Cox?
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143

SunnyJim said:

"Wrecking" is not childish, it has a specific meaning as a part of Westminster jargon. It even has a page in the Parliament glossary.
    "Surrender" is missing form the glossary, and this is what the Parliament website has to say about Scrutiny (parliamentary scrutiny) (my emphasis in bold):

"Parliamentary scrutiny is the close examination and investigation of government policies, actions and spending that is carried out by the House of Commons and the House of Lords and their committees."
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Apparently Dom said in the meeting that France would veto the extension
  • Options

SunnyJim said:

Scott_P said:

Incredible that she would say that. What a joker
  • Options

SunnyJim said:

Scott_P said:

She is a hectoring nightmare
  • Options
    FPP

3. A more generic point - it is not Parliament's job to negotiate the deal. It is there as, if you like, board approval when negotiations are complete. It is perfectly within its rights to withhold approval but if it asks for items such as a/the customs union to be added to the deal it is exceeding its authority in a big way. The responsibility for negotiating the deal rests with the government (on behalf of the people who voted in the plebiscite), and if Parliament does not like what the government has offered it has two options - reject the deal, or call an election or VONC so that another government can take over the negotiations. Both options are available and the numbers are there for each should they choose, yet they refuse both, preferring instead to effectively kill the deal by stealth. They are of course free to do this but it's difficult to argue that they're acting in anyone's interests other than their own, and I expect they will be brutally judged by their actions or lack of.
  • Options
    TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,662
    edited October 2019

SunnyJim said:

I note that Swinson uses the word in her statement this morning.

I notice that Swinson uses the word in her statement this morning.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    PeterC said:

Fenster said:

- Gavin Esler
    - Robert Peston
    - Shelagh Fogerty
    - Paul Mason

Fenster said:

- Gavin Esler
    - Robert Peston
    - Shelagh Fogerty
    - Paul Mason

He did some good work covering the Greek crisis for Channel4 in 2015. Of late he has seemed quite unhinged.
    Paul Mason's 2015 work PostCapitalism was bilge: just grab observations from all and sundry, stir them together in a big pot, slap them between some boards and call the result a book.
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,897
    edited October 2019

nunuone said:

AndyJS said:
    Not sick enough it seems.

They will give us another extension
    The "sick of us" argument was never convincing because, apart from Ireland, the mayor of Calais and a handful of EU apparatchiks who are probably glad of the work, there is not much for them to do on a day-to-day basis, and even if they are, it is better on balance for them if Britain stays in.
    Exactly. The choice for most 27 Governments is
    1) say no to an extension leading to certain chaos next weekend
    2) say yes to an extension leading to:
    some chance of chaos some time in the future, or a good chance of an orderly brexit, or some chance that Brexit never gets its act together.

Which one is Latvia going to choose? It's a no brainer.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,394

SunnyJim said:

Scott_P said:

Agreed. It fuels racial division and identity politics on both sides of the divide.

Ending this socially corrosive nonsense is actually more important to me than even Brexit.
  • Options
    eristdoof said:

nunuone said:

AndyJS said:
    Not sick enough it seems.

They will give us another extension
    The "sick of us" argument was never convincing because, apart from Ireland, the mayor of Calais and a handful of EU apparatchiks who are probably glad of the work, there is not much for them to do on a day-to-day basis, and even if they are, it is better on balance for them if Britain stays in.
    Exactly. The choice for most 27 Governments is
    1) say no to an extension leading to certain chaos next weekend
    2) say yes to an extension leading to:
    some chance of chaos some time in the future, or a good chance of an orderly brexit, or some chance that Brexit never gets its act together.

Which one is Latvia going to choose? It's a no brainer.
    Latvia will go with the flow, France OTOH is a major player
  • Options

SunnyJim said:

Scott_P said:

Agreed. It fuels racial division and identity politics on both sides of the divide.

Ending this socially corrosive nonsense is actually more important to me than even Brexit.
    As if she wouldn't be moaning about it if Patel and Abbot were in there as well
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Where did that come from?
  • Options
    Flipping heck Boris!!!! Lol.
  • Options
    SunnyJim said:

Scott_P said:

Watch Macron, hes on a journey
  • Options
    SunnyJim said:

Scott_P said:

Scott P does not give a source. Ignore
  • Options
    SunnyJim said:

What's he done
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,315
    edited October 2019
    Pulpstar said:

SunnyJim said:

What's he done
    Called out Corbyn as an IRA supporter to much acclaim
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

What's he done

Went in two-footed on the IRA.

He's just done it again.

It is GE talk not 'come together' on timetabling.
  • Options
    NooNoo Posts: 2,380
    Whisper it, because it doesn't matter, but Boris is a bit crap at PMQs.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

SunnyJim said:

What's he done
    Called out Corbyn as an IRA supporter to much acclaim
    Shows Boris wants an election

And let me just say..

......FINALLY!
  • Options
    Boris is on a roll. I have never heard him like this
  • Options

SunnyJim said:

Scott_P said:

Scott P does not give a source. Ignore
    I've seen that report on a tweet too to be fair
  • Options
    nunuone said:

How bitter.

And so poorly delivered
  • Options
    Corbyn "asks the PM to point to which clause in the Brexit deal protects the NHS in future free trade deals"

Why would our withdrawal agreement with the EU mention the NHS?
  • Options
    Noo said:

The headlines will be "Boris calls Corbyn IRA supporrer".
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,631
    SunnyJim said:

Scott_P said:

Perhaps to make a point ?

If Parliament reflected the population, the probability of the composition of that group happening by chance would be around 1.5%.

Perhaps a point clumsily made, but impossible to deny that she has a point, without being super-woke, or whatever the perjorative term of the day might be.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,226

??
  • Options
    Noo said:

What planet are you on. He just dished Corbyn comprehensively
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704

Corbyn "asks the PM to point to which clause in the Brexit deal protects the NHS in future free trade deals"

Why would our withdrawal agreement with the EU mention the NHS?

And come to that, why would FTA agreed by the EU protect the NHS?
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

??
    He has stepped up into GE mode and seems to be very fired up
  • Options

Noo said:

He was jabbering in a whiny voice, repeating himself, wandering off topic. He sounded like a flatulent balloon, pulled taught at the neck.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028
    edited October 2019
    Scott_P said:

Macron will veto further extension unless the Commons either votes for the Withdrawal Agreement legislation by 31st October or MPs vote for a general election or EUref2 or revoke instead
  • Options
    johntjohnt Posts: 86
    philiph said:

johnt said:

philiph

The EU will have an interesting future and it is highly likely that it will not progress as the members and proponents anticipate, as it reacts to pressure from within and without. The larger and closer it is the more difficult it is to react to a 'situation' without causing stress to the organisation. Ultimately this has to result in a further and ratcheting centralisation of powers, which ultimately in xyz number of years will result in it fracturing into its component parts as it has to impose it will on unwilling parts of the Union..

The irony of this view is that of course the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland has had a fairly long existence and was working (at least to a point) until relatively recently but seems very likely to be finally fractured by Brexit. The leavers have long expressed the view that there is somehow an inevitability that the EU will collapse but have only succeeded in collapsing the UK. I have some sympathy with the argument that the EU will come under huge pressure in years to come but given the increased and inevitably pressure for globalisation in the end the EU in some form will survive. It is also inevitable that the component parts of the UK will find their way back to membership of the EU but as pale shadows of the powerful part of the union that we were before 2016. Last back into the EU will probably be England which has always been the problem anyway. The English seem to have been unable to be part of any club where they cannot be seen as the 'natural leaders'. Future generations will need to learn that in a globalised world they are no more (or less) important than others and they will have to learn to play nicely rather than always insist that they have to have their own way.
  • Options
    Noo said:

Noo said:

He was jabbering in a whiny voice, repeating himself, wandering off topic. He sounded like a flatulent balloon, pulled taught at the neck.
    Sounds like you are worried
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

Macron will veto further extension unless the Commons either votes for the Withdrawal Agreement legislation by 31st October or MPs vote for a general election or EUref2 instead
    I hope so. Vive la France!
  • Options
    SNP demands an election

Here we come
  • Options

Noo said:

Noo said:

Sounds like you are worried
    I am worried about the Conservatives, but that doesn't make Boris a good performer at PMQs.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,003

Noo said:

𝓕𝓐𝓛𝓚𝓛𝓐𝓝𝓓𝓢 𝓜𝓞𝓜𝓔𝓝𝓣
  • Options
    Just seen that Rupa Huq question - she actually managed to try and have a dig first of all whilst associating herself with his words about the tragic news from Essex today. That was v v poor.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

CU amendment - depends how it is worded. If it is "And shall seek" or alters PD that is fine. Inside the WA it is wrecking.

I don't think it can be part of the WA because (as the EU keeps reminding us) under A50 the WA can't specify the UK's future trading relationship with the EU.

I'd have to have a think about whether its inclusion in the WAB somewhere other than the WA itself would be effective though.
  • Options

Just seen that Rupa Huq question - she actually managed to try and have a dig first of all whilst associating herself with his words about the tragic news from Essex today. That was v v poor.

It was just dreadful
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,226
    nunuone said:

The headlines will be "Boris calls Corbyn IRA supporrer".

Until superseded by "Ant and Dec ate my goldfish".
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578
    HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

Macron will veto further extension unless the Commons either votes for the Withdrawal Agreement legislation by 31st October or MPs vote for a general election or EUref2 or revoke instead
    And Bozo will resign rather than seek an A50 extension. We know that because you told us so repeatedly over the past few weeks.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

And Bozo will resign rather than seek an A50 extension. We know that because you told us so repeatedly over the past few weeks.
    I would disregard HYUFD musing and expect a flexible extension to 31st January will be forthcoming prompting a GE this year as just demanded by the SNP
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

He's successfully spun the optics to being "parliament's request" for anything he legally has to do on that. No more "die in a ditch" beartraps now ;)
  • Options
    FlannerFlanner Posts: 408

FPP

...The responsibility for negotiating the deal rests with the government (on behalf of the people who voted in the plebiscite), and if Parliament does not like what the government has offered it has two options...[Y]et they refuse both, preferring instead to effectively kill the deal by stealth.

The responsibility of the ruling party is to set negotiators clear terms of reference and get them endorsed by Parliament.

Like his predecessor, Johnson's refused to do this: a spectacular example of stupefying mismanagement. He's got only himself (and, arguably his predecessor) to blame for the ensuing mess.

Those who operate by assuming unaccountable power must take responsibility when the consequences become clear.
  • Options

Corbyn's head will be spinning after that.

His IRA salvo was there for the 6pm news soundbite.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

HYUFD has a style much beloved of propagandists and fan-boys, where wild, hope filled guesses about the future are made as assertions of fact. It means that his statements should be treated with the derision and mirth that all heirs to Comical Ali deserve.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    Money for a December election, now a best-priced 6/5 with Bet365 (hmm!).
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028
    edited October 2019

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

Boris did not seek it, he sent an unsigned copy of the Benn Act to the EU and a signed letter opposing further extension.

It was Parliament which sought an A50 extension by voting for the Benn Act
  • Options
    Contrast Ken Clarke with Boris. One, clear-headed and reasonable. The other, the Prime Minister.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

HYUFD has a style much beloved of propagandists and fan-boys, where wild, hope filled guesses about the future are made as assertions of fact. It means that his statements should be treated with the derision and mirth that all heirs to Comical Ali deserve.
    To be fair HYUFD does provide a great source of mirth from time to time
This discussion has been closed.