Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Some in the Shadow Cabinet want an early election but Corbyn,

1234568»

Comments

• Options
    Curious that the majority in favour of the 2nd reading and the majority against the programme motion were both larger than the expected range.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

And back to silly buggery....Lets just have a f##king election otherwise this will still be going on in 2119.

It’s only just over two years since the last one. And the next one is due in just over two years.
  • Options
    DruttDrutt Posts: 1,093
    Oh, and I can't emphasise this enough, fuck off, Ian Blackford
  • Options
    nunuonenunuone Posts: 1,138
    Time for No Deal.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,128
    Chris said:

Our national broadcaster says:
    "MPs have voted to approve the government's timetable for the remaining stages of the Withdrawal Agreement Bill that they have just backed."

Now corrected to "reject" :-)
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    He is a twat, why do we have to leave on 31/10? they haven’t supported his deal they have only voted to allow them to amend the bill. It’s his problem, his date and nobody else’s. Why is is such a twat?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,770
    HYUFD said:

Boris says he will accelerate preparations for No Deal and discuss with the EU tgeir response to the extension request of Parliament, glad the House has voted for the Withdrawal Agreement Bill but will pause debate on it due to losing the timetable programme vote

Why pause debate? If he intends it to pass at some point why not have them debating it a lot - making progress on that might show the EU that a short extension is all that is needed.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,783
    Drutt said:

Come now. Either earplugs or give a rational critique.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    nunuone said:

Time for No Deal.

Hows that going to work mate? Extension is incoming.
  • Options
    SunnyJimSunnyJim Posts: 1,106
    Do it Blackford!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,792

Labour whip on wrong side of table to have won...

@OblitusSumMe , I didn't get a chance to thank you for your trilemma article over the weekend. I recommended it to an American friend and she thought it was better than CNN.
  • Options
    Can anyone explain why, if he doesn't want any more delay, Boris is delaying this bill?
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,247

So much for ‘die in a ditch’.

That would have been a very working class sort of death.

Luxury four poster is what Johnson goes for.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Just ask for 2 weeks. Then if they vote that down ask for 3 weeks - make it clear whether they are actually seeking time to scrutinise or just don't want to accept any time.
    Can’t its 31/1 or its up to the commons unless EU refuse
  • Options

Curious that the majority in favour of the 2nd reading and the majority against the programme motion were both larger than the expected range.

The second reading was like the Malthouse Compromise: essentially cost-free to vote for.
  • Options
    Do points of order actually mean anything? It's not an unreasoned statement really, but a point of order?

Jeremy Corbyn makes a point of order.

"Tonight the House has refused to be bounced into debating a hugely significant bil with barely any notice," he says.

"The PM is the author of his own misfortune.

"So I make this offer tonight

"Work with us to agree a reasonable timetable and I suspect this House will vote to debate this bill.

"That would be the sensible way forward."
  • Options
    Ken seeking 3 or 4 more days

Boris needs to go with it
  • Options
    Ken Clarke asks the prime minister to reconsider pausing the deal, saying he cannot see the logic of pausing progress on it when the Commons is looking for time to debate it

Well, quite!
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    "We want this Brexit bill to pass into law. But not yet" is what the voters will get out of this.

Wankers! Do it NOW, they scream at their tellies in unison....
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    There was no chance of it Cumming off.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,307

Can anyone explain why, if he doesn't want any more delay, Boris is delaying this bill?

Well Ken Clarke doesn't understand it so what chance do we have?
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623

The second reading was like the Malthouse Compromise: essentially cost-free to vote for.
    Still my favourite Ludlum novel.
  • Options
    edited October 2019

308 appears to be the guaranteed vote for the deal then, with the other 10-12 going to need careful handling/incentives to see it through/see off any amendments, when the bill gets going again.
  • Options

"We want this Brexit bill to pass into law. But not yet" is what the voters will get out of this.

Who’s they?
  • Options
    humbuggerhumbugger Posts: 377

It's because he knows that this Remainer Parliament will not allow the UK to leave the EU unless the EU points the gun by refusing an extension. The Parliament will use whatever reason or device or procedure to make sure Brexit does not happen. It's pointless continuing with the WAB. It just won't happen.
  • Options
    PaulMPaulM Posts: 613

especially once it was clear the DUP were going to sink the programme vote
  • Options

To an extent, but this time there is at least a real deal acceptable to the EU.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    edited October 2019
    Now I guess we're waiting on whether the EU can stomach a short extension, since the HoC seems to have a comfortable deal majority (even if that's a bit of a mirage, and will likely be chipped away at).

Supposedly the French aren't keen.
  • Options
    humbugger said:

It's because he knows that this Remainer Parliament will not allow the UK to leave the EU unless the EU points the gun by refusing an extension. The Parliament will use whatever reason or device or procedure to make sure Brexit does not happen. It's pointless continuing with the WAB. It just won't happen.
    No you must be wrong. Boris said we’d definitely leave by 31st October no ifs or buts.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    edited October 2019
    LOL at this Tory MP accidentally blowing up Boris's "brand new deal" spin - she said three days were enough for the debate, because "90%" of this deal is the same as the last one...
  • Options
    nichomar said:

He is a twat, why do we have to leave on 31/10? they haven’t supported his deal they have only voted to allow them to amend the bill. It’s his problem, his date and nobody else’s. Why is is such a twat?

His date? It is the EU's date, pillock. Boris has been simply working to the deadline he inherited.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

kle4 said:

Just ask for 2 weeks. Then if they vote that down ask for 3 weeks - make it clear whether they are actually seeking time to scrutinise or just don't want to accept any time.
    Can’t its 31/1 or its up to the commons unless EU refuse
    I mean Boris ask the Commons for 2 weeks to debate. Then 3, etc. Whatever they agree can be a signal to the EU, who could (I don't think will) offer a date other than 31/1 on the basis that they know how long it will take to pass the legislation now.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

308 appears to be the guaranteed vote for the deal then, with the other 10-12 needed going to need careful handling/incentives to see it through/see off any amendments, when the bill gets going again.
    That’s a very sharp point.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    ydoethur said:

There does seem to be a darkening mood amongst Journalists about Cummings briefing them things that BoZo then doesn't follow through
  • Options
    Boris should have pulled the bill immediately but it is obviously a considered delay, to what end I am not sure other than for public consumption.

The deal will never get through so an extension just long enough for a GE would force Labour to the ballot box.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    New thread

• Options
    Andrew said:

Now I guess we're waiting on whether the EU can stomach a short extension, since the HoC seems to have a comfortable deal majority (even if there's a bit of a mirage, and will likely be chipped away at).

Supposedly the French aren't keen.

Giving us not very much time, then discovering that majority is not as strong as it seemed, would result in them facing another emergency request for an extension or accidentally seeing us no deal. Far safer to stick with 31/1 rather than force any other options.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

Actually the date was chosen by the EU. Whether they are willing to change it is not certain. It is not in our gift. Working towards it makes some sense.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Scott_P said:

TOPPING said:

Ok team 10 minutes to suggest a good film for me to watch tonight. Minus points for anyone who suggests BBC Parliament.

Edit: have I ever said one of my favourite films is Four Lions...

Source Code
    Just remeber to turn the film off when it obviously ends and don't watch the mad last few minutes that ruin the movie.
  • Options
    SunnyJim said:

Boris should have pulled the bill immediately but it is obviously a considered delay, to what end I am not sure other than for public consumption.

The deal will never get through so an extension just long enough for a GE would force Labour to the ballot box.

Literally everything you have said has been wrong so don’t mind me in simply ignoring all of your predictions.
  • Options

Who’s they?

The voters who are going to disembowel Labour at the GE.
  • Options
    SunnyJim said:

Who’s they?

What, 35% of them?
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,679
    DavidL said:

nichomar said:

Actually the date was chosen by the EU. Whether they are willing to change it is not certain. It is not in our gift. Working towards it makes some sense.
    Well, pausing the bill is not working towards 31/10... or any other date for that matter.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

LOL at this Tory MP accidentally blowing up Boris's "brand new deal" spin - she said three days were enough for the debate, because "90%" of this deal is the same as the last one...

The 10% is the important difference.

We share 96% of our DNA with a chimpanzee.
  • Options

They are watching a range of other programmers including east Enders, the one show or Netflix waiting for the football only a few, maybe more than usual, are actually watching this blow by blow.
  • Options
    Ian Blackford: "It is the law of the land on the basis of not agreeing a deal that the prime minister is instructed to seek an extension.

Go to Brussels and do as you have been instructed."

Eh? He already has. hasn't he?
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Scott_P said:

ydoethur said:

There does seem to be a darkening mood amongst Journalists about Cummings briefing them things that BoZo then doesn't follow through
    Cummings has apparently only ever had a limited grasp of reality. It was a constant running sore at education that he simply didn’t know what was going on, and is presumably one of the reasons his commentaries on it are so inaccurate. I can imagine it would make him a journalist’s nightmare.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    GetBrexitDone

We will now pause this legislation...

BoZo
  • Options

What, 35% of them?

Nah, the 75% plus who are lining up to smash Corbyn in to dust.
  • Options
    Sigh. Give us time, and we'll use it. But at least we have the dates for the next crunch votes which won't approve it for future meetings.
  • Options
    If they don't get that unanimity, then Parliament has, er, 3 days to pass the laws....
  • Options
    SunnyJim said:

What, 35% of them?

I think you need a lie down.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,226

They are indeed wankers - if they are screaming that at their telly.

Should such people have a vote that counts the same as mine, do we think?
  • Options

SunnyJim said:

Who’s they?

What, 35% of them?
    And the 28% voting LibDem.....
  • Options
    SunnyJim said:

Bill pulled and VoNC by the SNP it is then.

Letwin has blown both his feet off lol.</blockquote

Still want that to become a new word. "You've really Letwined that." meaning done something superficially clever but actually fundamentally stupid and counterproductive.

• Options

I think you need a lie down.

Is that the best you've got?
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,862
    SunnyJim said:

What, 35% of them?

Same as 2017
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Scott_P said:

ydoethur said:

They will continue to fall for it.
  • Options

DavidL said:

nichomar said:

Well, pausing the bill is not working towards 31/10... or any other date for that matter.
    I really don't understand it.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    Bozo only has himself to blame .

His unhinged obsession with October 31st is getting ridiculous.
  • Options
    DruttDrutt Posts: 1,093
    Carnyx said:

Drutt said:

Come now. Either earplugs or give a rational critique.
    Okay, every time he stands up he makes the same tedious 'union delenda est' speech, in the same excruciatingly self-satisfied way, and egregiously turns it into a point of order by asking the Speaker what he needs to do to get Scottish independence. It's a reflection of the utter contempt with which Parliament and doubtless the bulk of the viewers of it hold his interjections that the famously shy and retiring Speaker John Bercow seems fed up with telling him about s30 Scotland Act 1998.
  • Options
    This thread has

Been defeated on a programme motion

• Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    edited October 2019
    2nd reading .... Lab 19 ayes. Ind 25 ayes, inc Hopkins, Lewis, Austin, Field, Woodcock, P Hammond, Milton in there.

No: only really interesting Greening and Hermon.

Abstain: Campbell, Fovargue, Hoey, Madders, Twigg. Also Nokes/Williamson from the Indies
  • Options
    DavidL said:

SunnyJim said:

Bill pulled and VoNC by the SNP it is then.

Letwin has blown both his feet off lol.

Saying "We want this deal. Just not yet." is the pinnacle of fuckwittery.

Boris has his deal. Approved by the House. The rest is Remainer roadblock.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    viewcode said:

Labour whip on wrong side of table to have won...

@OblitusSumMe , I didn't get a chance to thank you for your trilemma article over the weekend. I recommended it to an American friend and she thought it was better than CNN.
    That's very kind. Thank you for passing it on. How unfortunate that you should do so in reply to a comment of mine that proved to be erroneous!
This discussion has been closed.