Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Some in the Shadow Cabinet want an early election but Corbyn,

Comments

• Options
    Gabs2Gabs2 Posts: 1,268

RobD said:

AndyJS said:
    Wasn’t sending the letter supposed to humiliate Boris?

:smiley:
    How do you humiliate someone without shame? It is not possible.
    The forcing him to extend only worked when he didn't have a deal. Now he has pulled the rabbit out the hat, Leavers are thinking "What else more is he supposed to do? He has got a deal against all odds, but MPs are STILL sabotaging him..."
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

AndyJS said:

How do you humiliate someone without shame? It is not possible.
    Makes you wonder why they bothered in the first place? :p
    To stop a no deal Brexit perhaps?
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,226
    viewcode said:

As some of you may recall, I bought Euros earlier in the year to guard against a currency crash. As an added precaution I also placed bets on NoDeal at long odds. But those bets expire on January 1st and a defeat today lays open the possibility of a NoDeal Brexit in 2020. What would be the best wager to ensure against such an outcome? I should imagine the 2020 exit odds are shortening as we speak.

Deeply unhelpful answer from me - you do not need to worry about a No Deal Brexit, either this year or at any time. It just will not happen unless some complete lunatic becomes our PM, and even then such a PM would need an equally lunatic parliament - i.e. not this one - to allow it.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,787
    Noo said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

[snip]

It's a fair point. Why should NI get a sweetheart deal and Scotland not?

Wales is different. It voted Leave.

It's also not unlike the deal the SNP suggested right at the start, in late 2016 IIRC (I have a feeling the Scottish Pmt also approved it, but can't remember the details).

I'm not whinging here, so much as thinking out objectively some other ways in which the NI deal could affect politics in Scotland to add to the points made by Burgessian.
    Burgessian is just crapping it as the union is bust, desperate to believe there are still enough idiots to retain the union.
    I am not an idiot am I Malc and are you not on your way to Lanzarotte today
    Hello G. basking in the sun beside the pool, cold beer in hand. Just having an odd dip in here when I need to get into the shade.
    Hello Malcy. Have a nice time. Don't get sunburnt - you won't have had much practice at home this summer.
    I dunno. He spends a lot of time in the open Ayr.
    But you can't always see the Skye from there
    It's not too bad there if Malcy is in the coastal zone of Ayrshire - the rain doesn't really dump till it gets to the higher ground, relatively. It's more like the East Coast than the West in that rsespect. (Also BTW one reason for opening Prestwick as a major transatlantic airport - less fog). But it has been a dreich summer even on the East.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    Labour MPs for a deal have a choice which I suspect is being made clear to them by the whip .

By all means vote for the deal if you have to , but to back the programme motion is a bridge too far .

• Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,626
    RobD said:

Nigelb said:

eek said:

AndyJS said:

Are MPs going to vote on the programme motion first?

Nope:-

Second reading vote - determines that the bill is worthy of very discussion.
    Programming motion then determines the speed at which it will be processed.
    Which would involve setting aside the legislation which mandates a minimum of 21 days Parliamentary consideration for any international treaty.

Given the only justification for this is Boris’ ego, I’m not convinced.
    In the governance act it says that the 21 days can be bypassed if a minister thinks it is warranted. There would still have to be a motion passed, it just removes the minimum time requirement.
    But in the case of treaties of importance, the 21 day period is a long standing convention which was enshrined in the 2010 legislation. And there is hardly an example of more importance, affecting every citizen of this nation, than this one.

As I said, the only justification for setting it aside is Johnson’s ego.

That he has persuaded many leavers that setting it aside is a matter of principle is quite remarkable. And not in a good sense.
  • Options
    NooNoo Posts: 2,380
    Carnyx said:

Noo said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

[snip]

It's also not unlike the deal the SNP suggested right at the start, in late 2016 IIRC (I have a feeling the Scottish Pmt also approved it, but can't remember the details).

I'm not whinging here, so much as thinking out objectively some other ways in which the NI deal could affect politics in Scotland to add to the points made by Burgessian.
    Burgessian is just crapping it as the union is bust, desperate to believe there are still enough idiots to retain the union.
    Hello G. basking in the sun beside the pool, cold beer in hand. Just having an odd dip in here when I need to get into the shade.
    Hello Malcy. Have a nice time. Don't get sunburnt - you won't have had much practice at home this summer.
    It's not too bad there if Malcy is in the coastal zone of Ayrshire - the rain doesn't really dump till it gets to the higher ground, relatively. It's more like the East Coast than the West in that rsespect. (Also BTW one reason for opening Prestwick as a major transatlantic airport - less fog). But it has been a dreich summer even on the East.
    Having been living in Scotland for a while, I was acclimatised. I nearly died from the heat this summer. It was up in the high 30s in the south of England in July. Give me dreich over that, any time.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,249
    Noo said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

[snip]

OK, I think that’s enough Scottish place name puns, Ailsa we might wander off topic.
  • Options
    RobD said:

If he's right, the programme motion fails quite clearly:

https://twitter.com/jonworth/status/1186679816558395392

Ah, interesting! If the program motion gets down, I assume it can't be voted on again?
    The government can put forward a different one , Bercow has to allow that because the motion will be different as it will be including an alternative timetable .

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969
    Nigelb said:

RobD said:

Nigelb said:

eek said:

AndyJS said:

Which would involve setting aside the legislation which mandates a minimum of 21 days Parliamentary consideration for any international treaty.

In the governance act it says that the 21 days can be bypassed if a minister thinks it is warranted. There would still have to be a motion passed, it just removes the minimum time requirement.
    But in the case of treaties of importance, the 21 day period is a long standing convention which was enshrined in the 2010 legislation. And there is hardly an example of more importance, affecting every citizen of this nation, than this one.

That he has persuaded many leavers that setting it aside is a matter of principle is quite remarkable. And not in a good sense.
    Leavers are deeply suspicious that further delay is just an excuse to find yet more mechanisms with which to ultimately stop Brexit.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    GIN1138 said:

RobD said:

eek said:

eek said:

Pulpstar said:

Could the Gov't put the bill "on hold" instead of pulling it completely ?

That allows the bill to come back.

If Boris pulls it I don't think it can come back this session which means No Deal returns as the default.

On Topic I suspect the suggested rule that the Opposition must always agree to an election request still stands. The circumstances recently where an election was rejected under the guise of preventing no deal was unique.

Once we have either extended or exited that line falls away. I suspect the government if we get out soon will seek to let the dust settle and get an election next Spring, but the Opposition will have nowhere to hide by claiming it was due to preventing a no deal exit anymore.

I see we are in agreement. I expect an election on the 12th December.
    Headmistresses nationwide say "no can do"...
    I think the 19th is not logistically possible, the 5th is, and the 12th is marginal. I don't think this will be the chief determinant of the timing, so that's why I expect the 12th.

Johnson might even call it "glorious".
    Called tomorrow an election not via a VoNC could be on November 28th

After tomorrow i think it's the December 5th if Boris calls it or 19th if via a VoNC.

Thanks to the 25 working day rules we rapidly enter Christmas and then rapidly hit Jan 9th due to bank holidays over Christmas.
    An election campaign over Christmas would be an utter fiasco.
    A VoNC anytime after this week makes it incredibly likely.
    A Christmas election ain't gonna happen IMO. Nor one on 9 Jan, which would necessitate a farcical campaign when most of Britain is lying semi-comatose on the sofa watching reruns of Del Boy.
    Agreed - there's no way that a campaign will be fought over the christmas break. If it isn't in November, it isn't going to be until late Feb, maybe March?
    5th December is like the latest eariest date I think is still viable.

After that it's late February/early March.

I think it'll be 5th December. ;)
    Not as far ahead as that. Ted Heath very nearly called the first 1974 election for 7th February. The very latest this year is probably 12th December. Beyond that no election is likely before 23rd January.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,787
    Noo said:

Carnyx said:

Noo said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

[snip]

Having been living in Scotland for a while, I was acclimatised. I nearly died from the heat this summer. It was up in the high 30s in the south of England in July. Give me dreich over that, any time.
    Oh, absolutely. I hate London between late May and mid-September. Anjd I'm pale, gingery and freckly - hate the sun almost as much as Count Dracula.

Some very interesting comments this afternoon by the way, on a range of topics.

• Options
    nico67 said:

Labour MPs for a deal have a choice which I suspect is being made clear to them by the whip .

By all means vote for the deal if you have to , but to back the programme motion is a bridge too far .

It would be a craven sellout for which IMO they should lose the whip.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

justin124 said:

I am sure that many MPs today will feel empathy for members of the Reichstag facing pressure to pass Hitler's Enabling Act in March 1933.

Sorry Justin I agree with the PB Tories

Time for Mods to rake action if you cant drop the Hitler shite.
    It wouldn't be the first time you have shown an inclination to support the Tories including in the Lobbies tonight.
    I agree with @bigjohnowls (which is unusual).

There’s simply no justification for the Hitler stuff. And it’s completely counterproductive to your side of the argument.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,999
    An election on 5 Dec will be as popular as a fart at a cocktail party. It’s going to be next year isn’t it?
  • Options
    kinabalu said:
    They are getting the assurances enshrined in law, no?
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,822
    RobD said:

AndyJS said:

Teflon Johnson? :D
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

nico67 said:

It would be a craven sellout for which IMO they should lose the whip.
    I’ve not been asking for them to lose the whip for backing the deal but to deliver a huge victory for Johnson in terms of the 31 st October and on top of that to rubberstamp just 2 and a half days to debate the biggest change in 40 years would be disgraceful .

If they do that the whip should be removed , no ifs no buts .
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,463

If he's right, the programme motion fails quite clearly:

https://twitter.com/jonworth/status/1186679816558395392

That’s assuming the 9 labour rebels stay at 9.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,794
    kinabalu said:

viewcode said:

As some of you may recall, I bought Euros earlier in the year to guard against a currency crash. As an added precaution I also placed bets on NoDeal at long odds. But those bets expire on January 1st and a defeat today lays open the possibility of a NoDeal Brexit in 2020. What would be the best wager to ensure against such an outcome? I should imagine the 2020 exit odds are shortening as we speak.

Deeply unhelpful answer from me - you do not need to worry about a No Deal Brexit, either this year or at any time. It just will not happen unless some complete lunatic becomes our PM, and even then such a PM would need an equally lunatic parliament - i.e. not this one - to allow it.
    Unfortunately I have some emotional investment in the question. I am a reasonably intelligent adult, I have forewarning of a potentially bad event, so I wish to apply my skill to construct a defence against it. It would strike at my core values to just trust to luck as I believe that adulthood entails responsibility: never pack a bag you can't carry, never write a cheque you can't cash, and so on. As you can imagine, I am zero fun at parties... :)

So although I hope you are correct, I don't have the personality to take the risk. Hence the question.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Nigelb said:

RobD said:

Nigelb said:

eek said:

AndyJS said:

Leavers are deeply suspicious that further delay is just an excuse to find yet more mechanisms with which to ultimately stop Brexit.
    Everyone’s deeply suspicious of the other side’s motives, and with good reason.

But the idea that Boris should get his blank cheque/rubber stamp without scrutiny is a ridiculous thing to ask of anyone but his enthusiastic acolytes.
    The passage of the bill relies on the backing of those who are lending their support with deep reluctance (and I know how they feel, as that is pretty well my position).
    The government should recognise that.
  • Options
    nico67 said:

How do they sell that on the doorsteps though (the ones that have re-election battles)

“Oh I voted for the deal but then I voted against the timetable so instead of brexiting we’re out fighting this election”?
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    AndyJS said:
    Extinction Rebellion bounce for the Greens!
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    nico67 said:

I’ve not been asking for them to lose the whip for backing the deal but to deliver a huge victory for Johnson in terms of the 31 st October and on top of that to rubberstamp just 2 and a half days to debate the biggest change in 40 years would be disgraceful .

If they do that the whip should be removed , no ifs no buts .

Zackly.

No Labour MP worthy of that privileged position should act as an enabler of a Tory government which is planning to open its flies, post Brexit, and piss all over the very people the Labour Party exists to protect.

It should not even be up for debate.
  • Options
    But once the restraints were off, he did it to a lot of other people.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

RobD said:

Nigelb said:

RobD said:

Nigelb said:

eek said:

AndyJS said:

But the idea that Boris should get his blank cheque/rubber stamp without scrutiny is a ridiculous thing to ask of anyone but his enthusiastic acolytes.
    The passage of the bill relies on the backing of those who are lending their support with deep reluctance (and I know how they feel, as that is pretty well my position).
    I don’t really have any time for the “lack of time to scrutinise” point. MPs always subcontract their thinking to lobby groups and the party machines anyway. If there aren’t already a million briefing packs and draft amendments available, there will be by morning.
  • Options
    So you’re saying BJ is less trustworthy than Hannibal Lector ?
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

I suspect any conservative not supporting the vote will have the whip withdrawn on the spot

Actually, that's a good point - Caroline Spelman abstained on Sat, but I assume she'll vote with the govt tonight, so that makes the margin 317-311.
    Hoey may switch the other way.
  • Options
    Sky

Labour's chief whip has written to the government to say they are open to a different timetable

No 10 says no

Who is blinking first
  • Options
    Gabs2 said:

Need to be in the Withdrawal Treaty.
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038

An election on 5 Dec will be as popular as a fart at a cocktail party. It’s going to be next year isn’t it?

Apparently >30% of Brits get winter depression. Does that mainly mean a) they're less motivated to vote or b) they're more likely to support the Monster Raving Loony Party?
  • Options
    Danny565 said:
    I would quite like him to pull it just to see Boles’ reaction...
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

AndyJS said:
    Damage to the PM from the Benn Act being activated? Zero.....
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited October 2019
    Labour seems to be getting the hang of this politics malarkey:

https://twitter.com/labourwhips/status/1186684679396745216
  • Options

Danny565 said:
    I would quite like him to pull it just to see Boles’ reaction...
    Calling a bluffing bullshitter’s bluff isn’t 100% risk free.
    It’s still the sensible thing to do.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

GIN1138 said:

RobD said:

eek said:

eek said:

Pulpstar said:

Could the Gov't put the bill "on hold" instead of pulling it completely ?

That allows the bill to come back.

If Boris pulls it I don't think it can come back this session which means No Deal returns as the default.

On Topic I suspect the suggested rule that the Opposition must always agree to an election request still stands. The circumstances recently where an election was rejected under the guise of preventing no deal was unique.

Once we have either extended or exited that line falls away. I suspect the government if we get out soon will seek to let the dust settle and get an election next Spring, but the Opposition will have nowhere to hide by claiming it was due to preventing a no deal exit anymore.

I see we are in agreement. I expect an election on the 12th December.
    Headmistresses nationwide say "no can do"...
    I think the 19th is not logistically possible, the 5th is, and the 12th is marginal. I don't think this will be the chief determinant of the timing, so that's why I expect the 12th.

Johnson might even call it "glorious".
    Called tomorrow an election not via a VoNC could be on November 28th

After tomorrow i think it's the December 5th if Boris calls it or 19th if via a VoNC.

Thanks to the 25 working day rules we rapidly enter Christmas and then rapidly hit Jan 9th due to bank holidays over Christmas.
    An election campaign over Christmas would be an utter fiasco.
    A VoNC anytime after this week makes it incredibly likely.
    A Christmas election ain't gonna happen IMO. Nor one on 9 Jan, which would necessitate a farcical campaign when most of Britain is lying semi-comatose on the sofa watching reruns of Del Boy.
    Agreed - there's no way that a campaign will be fought over the christmas break. If it isn't in November, it isn't going to be until late Feb, maybe March?
    5th December is like the latest eariest date I think is still viable.

After that it's late February/early March.

I think it'll be 5th December. ;)
    Not as far ahead as that. Ted Heath very nearly called the first 1974 election for 7th February. The very latest this year is probably 12th December. Beyond that no election is likely before 23rd January.
    To get anybody to answer the door to canvassers, we're going to have to bloody well carol sing aren't we?
  • Options

In fairness, he didn't.

:smile:
    True - Lecter was in fact a man of his word. Old school.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Gabs2 said:

No, it doesn't. It can be enshrined in UK law.
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    Boles is shitting it. Whatever happens from here I think the way he makes himself look an arse on twitter will ensure his career in the commons is at an end. I expect the people of Grantham are embarrassed by his excuses.
  • Options
    TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,662
    I feel a Bercow tie-breaker coming....
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Nigelb said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

I am sure that many MPs today will feel empathy for members of the Reichstag facing pressure to pass Hitler's Enabling Act in March 1933.

It wouldn't be the first time you have shown an inclination to support the Tories including in the Lobbies tonight.

There’s simply no justification for the Hitler stuff. And it’s completely counterproductive to your side of the argument.
    With respect, I have not accused anyone of being a Nazi! People on here frequently compare Corbyn and Mcdonell to Lenin & Trotsky with very few objecting. I can assure you that were I an MP , I would happily get up in the Chamber and make the comparison with the Enabling Act.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969
    Gabs2 said:

kinabalu said:

Gabs2 said:

What is it with people not being comfortable with their own parliament having a say over the rules?
  • Options
    Brom said:

Boles is shitting it. Whatever happens from here I think the way he makes himself look an arse on twitter will ensure his career in the commons is at an end. I expect the people of Grantham are embarrassed by his excuses.

I think he is just in a permanently angry mindset at the moment. Being on Twitter so much probably doesn't help his mental health at all.
  • Options
    Gabs2 said:

It does. Much safer. Trust me.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

RobD said:

Nigelb said:

RobD said:

Nigelb said:

eek said:

AndyJS said:

I don’t really have any time for the “lack of time to scrutinise” point. MPs always subcontract their thinking to lobby groups and the party machines anyway. If there aren’t already a million briefing packs and draft amendments available, there will be by morning.
    Your side of the argument does tend to be impatient with settled constitutional law and convention, that is true.
  • Options
    @justin124 -- please refrain from posting further comparisons with the enabling act.
  • Options
    The Labour Whip letter is designed for Labour MPs not the government.

The government refused to compromise so are you really going to back their programme motion .
  • Options
    justin124 said:

Nigelb said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

With respect, I have not accused anyone of being a Nazi! People on here frequently compare Corbyn and Mcdonell to Lenin & Trotsky with very few objecting. I can assure you that were I an MP , I would happily get up in the Chamber and make the comparison with the Enabling Act.
    Justin.

With respect you do need to tone down the references to Hitler

You are causing offence and I hope the moderators will look into your posts if you continue to disregard the consensus on here
  • Options

justin124 said:

Nigelb said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

Justin.

You are causing offence and I hope the moderators will look into your posts if you continue to disregard the consensus on here
    I am pretty horrified at the lack of action already. At least other people on here have stepped up. Sadly anti-Semitism is being normalised again in the UK.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,001

AndyJS said:
    Of course.

There's a world of difference in voters minds between BJ asking for an extension because he was talking shit about wanting to be out on 31 October, and having Parliament force an extension on him.

People "gaming it" because they thought BJ would see his popularity plummet are idiots.

Now. Can we please have an election and move on?
  • Options

To get anybody to answer the door to canvassers, we're going to have to bloody well carol sing aren't we?

The Holly and the VI
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,794
    kinabalu said:

In fairness, he didn't.

True - Lecter was in fact a man of his word. Old school.
    I can't help but think that somebody who wishes to eat me alive should not be described as "polite", regardless of his manners... :)
  • Options
    Brom said:

Nick Boles is standing down at the next election so he’s not going to lose any sleep over threats from the government.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Gabs2 said:

It does. Much safer. Trust me.
    That's ridiculous. If anything, a foolish attempt to change the law by removing worker rights from British people would cause a big Labour majority. That would end up with worker protections being strengthened.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    viewcode said:

Unfortunately I have some emotional investment in the question. I am a reasonably intelligent adult, I have forewarning of a potentially bad event, so I wish to apply my skill to construct a defence against it. It would strike at my core values to just trust to luck as I believe that adulthood entails responsibility: never pack a bag you can't carry, never write a cheque you can't cash, and so on. As you can imagine, I am zero fun at parties... :)

So although I hope you are correct, I don't have the personality to take the risk. Hence the question.

OK, understood. Quite right too. But I think an accurate assessment of the (political) risk of a No Deal Brexit is close to zero. That has driven my betting on it - against it rather - for the last year or so and I claim skill not luck for the consequential profits.
  • Options

justin124 said:

Nigelb said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

Justin.

I've seen open racism and directed threats of violence go unpunished on here. Are we saying that the consensus is mentioning Hitler is worth a ban, but saying the kinds of things Hitler said is not?
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    rcs1000 said:

AndyJS said:
    Of course.

There's a world of difference in voters minds between BJ asking for an extension because he was talking shit about wanting to be out on 31 October, and having Parliament force an extension on him.

People "gaming it" because they thought BJ would see his popularity plummet are idiots.

Apparently not, because there are people who still believe that "leaving Johnson to stew in his juices" or "leaving Johnson hanging in the wind" will cause his vote share to plummet.

I suspect the opposite is much more likely to be true.
  • Options
    Noo said:

justin124 said:

Nigelb said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

Justin.

I've seen open racism and directed threats of violence go unpunished on here. Are we saying that the consensus is mentioning Hitler is worth a ban, but saying the kinds of things Hitler said is not?
    I think the matter has been dealt with
  • Options
    Noo said:

justin124 said:

Nigelb said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

Justin.

It is not mentions of Hitler. It is the deliberate minimization of the Holocaust by equating the WA to it. It is Holocaust denial.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    According to the BBC, far from "vetoing" an extension, the French are if anything inclined to push for an even longer extension than the Benn Act suggests:

Some people think it should be longer, that includes people like the French who are exasperated by the thought of another extension but want to make sure that if they are forced to give one, that it's long enough to allow some kind of political solution to emerge on the British side of the Channel.
  • Options

justin124 said:

Nigelb said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

Justin.

Big G,
    If I had accused you - or anyone else- of being a Nazi, I could understand the offence caused , but I have done no such thing.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

justin124 said:

Nigelb said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

Justin.

Big G,
    If I had accused you - or anyone else- of being a Nazi, I could understand the offence caused , but I have done no such thing.
    No comment.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,071
  • Options
    NorthstarNorthstar Posts: 140

rcs1000 said:

AndyJS said:
    Of course.

Apparently not, because there are people who still believe that "leaving Johnson to stew in his juices" or "leaving Johnson hanging in the wind" will cause his vote share to plummet.

Indeed. We need to leave Boris to stew until he’s polling 40%+, that’ll learn ‘im!
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

According to the BBC, far from "vetoing" an extension, the French are if anything inclined to push for an even longer extension than the Benn Act suggests:

Some people think it should be longer, that includes people like the French who are exasperated by the thought of another extension but want to make sure that if they are forced to give one, that it's long enough to allow some kind of political solution to emerge on the British side of the Channel.

You can see their point. The last thing they want is this irritation to keep repeating every few weeks.
  • Options

Noo said:

justin124 said:

Nigelb said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

Justin.

I'm not sure what you mean. Some of those involved have been posting here in the last day or two.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,358
    Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

malcolmg said:

Gabs2 said:

Carnyx said:

eek said:

The EU was adamant with TM there could be no unilateral exit. There is a unilateral exit now. The EU has compromised.

There isn't a unilateral exit - it requires a majority of NI votes and that will not occur. Unionists only have 40 of the 90 seats and that percentage is likely to drop over time not increase

Especially as the ties to GB will drop significantly over time - the VAT changes and paperwork alone will make buying things from Northern Ireland more of a hassle.
    That's democracy. If these arrangements are bad for NI then people opposing them can seek to get 46 seats plus.

If they don't get 46 seats or more that is the choice of the voters of NI. I have no wish to impose upon or override the voters of NI, I respect them enough to make the decision theirs. This is their future, they can decide - unilaterally.
    So you would apply that to Scotland (and Wales, if they want)?
    And London please!
    Scotland, Wales and London are not being put inside some EU laws, so there is nothing of a scale needed to consent to.
    London is not a country no matter how much idiots on here pretend AND WOULD NOT LAST 5 MINUTES ONCE IT DID NOT HAVE THE REST OF THE COUNTRY FUNNELLING RESOURCES AND MONEY INTO IT.
    Damn right.

If there's one thing history has taught us, it's that there's no such thing as a successful city state.
    Has history given us any examples of a capital city cutting itself off from its hinterland in a huff ?

It would be a radically hardball move, and the hinterland could exact some pretty hardball payback...
    Wouldn’t end well for either.
    Sort of Singapore but it wasn’t exactly a huff. It was fundamental political disagreements with Malaysia.

City States can do quite well for quite a long time but when the chips are down they can’t really defend or protect themselves for very long, and are easily gobbled up by bigger powers.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    edited October 2019

Curiously, I was already canvassed at the weekend !!

Two boys who looked 14 years old, probably were 10 years old, had the cherubic innocence of 6 year olds and the mental capacity of 4 year olds, canvassed me at the weekend in the LibDem cause.

They asked me how I was planning to vote on the forthcoming General Election.

I pointed out that no such election had yet been called. As I am always so sweet to the LibDems, I then simply shut the door.

So, whatever the LibDems on pb.com say, it is clear that the LibDem army of child soldiers is out battling in the marginals, expecting a General Election soon.
  • Options
    SunnyJimSunnyJim Posts: 1,106
    AndyJS said:
    Beautiful.

Letwin the accidental hero.
  • Options
    I imagine he thinks a Brexit Party win becomes more possible - and he might be right.
  • Options

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

Nigelb said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

Justin.

Big G,
    No comment.
    Would you like to see the Moderators intervene when a comment is next made here associating Corbyn or McDonnell with Lenin and Trosky? There is much humbug and hypocrisy around.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,071
    edited October 2019
    SunnyJim said:

AndyJS said:
    Beautiful.

Letwin the accidental hero.
    Johnson is still 5% short of what May got in a real election. ;)
  • Options
    Noo said:

Noo said:

justin124 said:

Nigelb said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

Justin.

I'm not sure what you mean. Some of those involved have been posting here in the last day or two.
    The matter is closed as far as I am concerned
  • Options
    Northstar said:

rcs1000 said:

AndyJS said:
    Of course.

Indeed. We need to leave Boris to stew until he’s polling 40%+, that’ll learn ‘im!
    He managed that in late August!
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,632
    Northstar said:

rcs1000 said:

AndyJS said:
    Of course.

I think it works both ways. Boris will get support for standing up to the remainers and trying hard to get it through against opposition, however there comes a point if he continues to fail to where that support will go. At what point he moves from hero to failure I don't know and it will be different for different people.
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    nico67 said:

Brom said:

Nick Boles is standing down at the next election so he’s not going to lose any sleep over threats from the government.
    It's stand down or be stood down.
  • Options
    Northstar said:

rcs1000 said:

AndyJS said:
    Of course.

If he's still in place in 2022, he is going to be polling 50:15:15......
  • Options
    Interesting name appears on the customs union amendment.

Stewart Hosie of the SNP. If the SNP back this aswell as the rest of the opposition and the DUP it has a chance of getting through .

The Tory MPs against this deal could also back this . Many Labour Leave MPs want a CU.

It gives them a chance to say we’re trying to get the best deal for our constituents.

• Options
    DruttDrutt Posts: 1,093
    Gabs2 said:

justin124 said:

Nigelb said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

Justin.

I am pretty horrified at the lack of action already. At least other people on here have stepped up. Sadly anti-Semitism is being normalised again in the UK.
    In Justin's defence I don't think he's gone into directly anti-Semitic territory. Further, I don't think his choice of references are motivated by anything more sinister than being party to the eVeRYoNe oN tHe INternTs iS a nAzi meme. His recent Reichstag allegories have been crass and needlessly provocative, and he should wind it in immediately, not least because it details the threads, but let's not go overboard here.
  • Options

Noo said:

Noo said:

justin124 said:

Nigelb said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

Justin.

I'm not sure what all this cryptic nonsense is. Either spit it out or don't say anything.
  • Options
    Noo said:

Noo said:

Noo said:

justin124 said:

Nigelb said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

Justin.

I'm not sure what all this cryptic nonsense is. Either spit it out or don't say anything.
    With respect I have made my views known and the matter is now closed
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited October 2019
    justin124 said:

Would you like to see the Moderators intervene when a comment is next made here associating Corbyn or McDonnell with Lenin and Trosky? There is much humbug and hypocrisy around.

Why on earth could anyone possibly object to associating Corbyn or McDonnell with Lenin and Trotsky, since they themselves are very happy with such an association?

https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/political-parties/labour-party/news/78174/jeremy-corbyn-called-complete-rehabilitation-leon

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk/2016/03/exclusive-john-mcdonnell-named-lenin-and-trotsky-his-biggest-influences-2006
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,311
    edited October 2019
    nico67 said:

Stewart Hosie of the SNP. If the SNP back this aswell as the rest of the opposition and the DUP it has a chance of getting through .

The Tory MPs against this deal could also back this . Many Labour Leave MPs want a CU.

It gives them a chance to say we’re trying to get the best deal for our constituents.

And that takes down the bill but the DUP categorically rejected any idea of it yesterday
  • Options
    justin124 said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

Nigelb said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

Justin.

Big G,
    No comment.
    Please don't take this as general support, because I don't like what you're up to with all this Hitler stuff, but on this point you're spot on. This place is crawling with hypocrisy.
  • Options
    NorthstarNorthstar Posts: 140
    kjh said:

Northstar said:

rcs1000 said:

AndyJS said:
    Of course.

I think it works both ways. Boris will get support for standing up to the remainers and trying hard to get it through against opposition, however there comes a point if he continues to fail to where that support will go. At what point he moves from hero to failure I don't know and it will be different for different people.
    He’ll move from hero to failure when any of his opponents come up with a better idea for moving on from this than a perfectly viable negotiated deal with the EU.

There’s zero chance of that happening on current evidence.

Until then, his opponents will shed support every time they block him.
  • Options
    nunuonenunuone Posts: 1,138
    nico67 said:

DUP already said they wonr vote for that
  • Options
    Noo said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

Nigelb said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

Justin.

Big G,
    No comment.
    Please don't take this as general support, because I don't like what you're up to with all this Hitler stuff, but on this point you're spot on. This place is crawling with hypocrisy.
    Lenin and Trotsky didn't try to exterminate a race of people, and succeed a good chunk of the way in doing it.
  • Options

Apparently >30% of Brits get winter depression. Does that mainly mean a) they're less motivated to vote or b) they're more likely to support the Monster Raving Loony Party?
    Don't forget the 48% who are going to get Brexit depression when it happens....
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929

nico67 said:

And that takes down the bill but the DUP categorically rejected any idea of it yesterday
    CU is clearly wrecking
  • Options

nico67 said:

It could be ruled out of order so might not be picked . And in committee stage it’s not Bercow that picks them .
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,358
    Got a horrible feeling we might get caught in a doom loop here.

Passes at 2nd reading (House agrees on Brexit in principle), CU is added to Bill at Committee stage (making it basically May’s Deal again, with a permanent backstop) leading to it failing at 3rd reading as the ERG pull support.

Rinse and re-fucking-peat.
  • Options
    nunuone said:

nico67 said:

DUP already said they wonr vote for that
    That’s old news now . After the Barclay shambles they’re even more irate . They will now do everything possible to stop this deal .
  • Options

Got a horrible feeling we might get caught in a doom loop here.

Passes at 2nd reading (House agrees on Brexit in principle), CU is added to Bill at Committee stage (making it basically May’s Deal again, with a permanent backstop) leading to it failing at 3rd reading as the ERG pull support.

Rinse and re-fucking-peat.

Can the Govt. still pull during Committee stage and go for an election?
  • Options
    nico67 said:

nico67 said:

It could be ruled out of order so might not be picked . And in committee stage it’s not Bercow that picks them .
    But it will be Hoyle and he's got his own election to fight....
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,780

So been out all day. What are the indicators for the 2 motions tonight??

I think we are still in the 'no one has a clue but leaning towards Government defeat' territory.
    A huge victory for Boris - I'd have expected slaloming quickly toward government defeat.
  • Options
    blueblueblueblue Posts: 875

justin124 said:

Why on earth could anyone possibly object to associating Corbyn or McDonnell with Lenin and Trotsky, since they themselves are very happy with such an association?

https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/political-parties/labour-party/news/78174/jeremy-corbyn-called-complete-rehabilitation-leon

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk/2016/03/exclusive-john-mcdonnell-named-lenin-and-trotsky-his-biggest-influences-2006
    Very well said!
This discussion has been closed.