Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Johnson’s problem is that his actions since becoming PM have l

Comments

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,053
    edited October 2019
    AndyJS said:

Conservatives only 50,000 votes behind in the popular vote now.

82% of votes still to be counted.

Popular vote now Liberals 34.3%, Conservatives 33.5%, NDP 14.6%.

Seat total Liberals 148, Conservatives 117, BQ 35, NDP 25

https://enr.elections.ca/National.aspx?lang=e
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Only about 10 seats would have to switch from what the TV networks are currently saying for it to be a dead heat in terms of seats.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244
    Sorry to spoil the fun from Canada. But barring something extraordinary the Second Reading vote for Brexit will finally take place at 7pm today!

[E X C I T E D]
    [C L A P]
    [C L A P]

I guess the expectation is that this passes but that the timetabling motion fails, due to grumpy Philip Hammond types? Or are there enough Labour rebels to see it over the line, in James Forsythe's words "to rip the plaster off quickly"?

With amendments for neither the customs union nor Second People's Confirmatory Vote looking likely to pass at the present time, should we be calibrating the base case to be Brexit on 30 November, the day before Sabine's delayed accession to Commission President?

And then a post Xmas general election in roughly March, once Boris has lost a few more votes in Parliament (including on the negotiating mandate for the free trade agreement)?
  • Options
    moonshine said:

Sorry to spoil the fun from Canada. But barring something extraordinary the Second Reading vote for Brexit will finally take place at 7pm today!

[E X C I T E D]
    [C L A P]
    [C L A P]

I guess the expectation is that this passes but that the timetabling motion fails, due to grumpy Philip Hammond types? Or are there enough Labour rebels to see it over the line, in James Forsythe's words "to rip the plaster off quickly"?

With amendments for neither the customs union nor Second People's Confirmatory Vote looking likely to pass at the present time, should we be calibrating the base case to be Brexit on 30 November, the day before Sabine's delayed accession to Commission President?

And then a post Xmas general election in roughly March, once Boris has lost a few more votes in Parliament (including on the negotiating mandate for the free trade agreement)?

MPs putting down amendments for a second referendum and a customs union is going to sink the entire bill from what I've heard.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    AndyJS said:

Only about 10 seats would have to switch from what the TV networks are currently saying for it to be a dead heat in terms of seats.

About 15 but would still likely be a Liberal and NDP government now even then
  • Options
    Right definitely back to bed now, night all
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,983
    HYUFD said:

Right definitely back to bed now, night all

Gnight, thanks for the updates.
  • Options
    Canada, latest popular vote figures:

Con 4,065,822
    Lib 3,934,080
    NDP 1,828,230
    BQ 1,006,873
    Grn 725,932
    PPC 197,725

• Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    edited October 2019
    AndyJS said:

moonshine said:

[E X C I T E D]
    [C L A P]
    [C L A P]

MPs putting down amendments for a second referendum and a customs union is going to sink the entire bill from what I've heard.
    The referendum was well short in the indicative votes, I don't see how it would get there at this point.

The CU was closer but it'll probably lose a bunch of Tories who want a deal done and see it as a poison pill. There was a thought that the DUP might help push it over the edge but apparently they're a NO NO NO.

So I don't get how either of those pass; They can do lots of little things on timing and procedure that'll kick the thing past the extension date, and there might be a VONC after that which stops the thing passing pending an election, and maybe stuff on workers rights etc, but that's less likely to lose Boris the ERG.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    It's also madness to attempt to scrutinise such a complicated document in a matter of hours.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    AndyJS said:

It's also madness to attempt to scrutinise such a complicated document in a matter of hours.

Definitely. I remember the TMay plan expected this part to take several months. Utterly batshit to try to do it with 10 days until brexit day, oh and fuck everything let's just throw in a Queen's Speech as well so we can tell everyone how much we care about the NHS.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,709

AndyJS said:

Definitely. I remember the TMay plan expected this part to take several months. Utterly batshit to try to do it with 10 days until brexit day, oh and fuck everything let's just throw in a Queen's Speech as well so we can tell everyone how much we care about the NHS.
    It’s as though Brexiteer Tories would only be satisfied by maximum confusion and disruption. A return to “if it’s not hurting, it isn’t working” ?
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,916
    Good morning Canadian election fans. Still looks still too close to call, Liberals probably with most seats but well short of a majority.

Agree with those annoyed at journalists trying to 'predict' seat results before they're declared. One advantage of the UK system is that nothing is revealed until the official declaration, there's no dripping out of vote numbers.
  • Options
    edited October 2019

AndyJS said:

I wonder whether it's getting to the stage where politicians on all sides decide to put everything off until the New Year, so at least they can get some rest over the Christmas period and have time to read all the documents properly.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:
    Share price off 10% in the last 48 hours, it's going to cost them well into the billions to sort this out.

Analysts on the radio this morning suggesting that at some point it's worth buying in though - the company isn't going to be allowed to go bust, and the global aviation market is still rapidly expanding.
  • Options
    Trudeau is now a quarter of million votes behind in the popular vote. This is a pretty lukewarm result for him, although he's probably going stay in power with a minority government.

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    rcs1000 said:

SunnyJim said:

Trying to work out which groups would prefer a GE before an exit...

I would say it would be to the LD's benefit.

Certainly the SNP's.

The Tories will be happy of course.

Labour would most certainly not be happy.

The line of least resistance to me looks like a GE rather than the WA passing.

I certainly agree SNP and LD.
    I certainly agree Labour DON'T want an election.

I'm not sure about the Conservatives. It could easily be seat gains for them, but they are likely to lose quite a few in Scotland (which won't help their Unionist protestations) and to the LD in the South West. Probably net seat gains, but it involves throwing about thirty MPs under a bus (a phrase used a lot lately).
    IF (and its a big IF) the BXP can get traction, it could all go so horribly wrong for them.

Doubt the DUP want an election. Not sure about Sinn Fein. Probably don't care.
    Greens and Plaid probably don't care for one either.
    I don't think the LibDems will gain many Conservative seats in the South West. They'll probably get St Ives, and maybe they'll hold Totnes, but it's slim pickings after that.

Their chances are much better in suburban Remainia, places like Richmond Park, and in the market towns of South East England where they used to do very well.
    Totnes is staying Conservative.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

the global aviation market is still rapidly expanding.

Sorry, Greta.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Good morning Canadian election fans. Still looks still too close to call, Liberals probably with most seats but well short of a majority.

Agree with those annoyed at journalists trying to 'predict' seat results before they're declared. One advantage of the UK system is that nothing is revealed until the official declaration, there's no dripping out of vote numbers.

The Liberal vote looks to be incredibly efficient at delivering seats.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

It boils down to the fact they did exceptionally well at winning the marginals in Toronto and Montreal.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,025

rcs1000 said:

SunnyJim said:

Certainly the SNP's.

I'm not sure about the Conservatives. It could easily be seat gains for them, but they are likely to lose quite a few in Scotland (which won't help their Unionist protestations) and to the LD in the South West. Probably net seat gains, but it involves throwing about thirty MPs under a bus (a phrase used a lot lately).
    IF (and its a big IF) the BXP can get traction, it could all go so horribly wrong for them.

I don't think the LibDems will gain many Conservative seats in the South West. They'll probably get St Ives, and maybe they'll hold Totnes, but it's slim pickings after that.

Their chances are much better in suburban Remainia, places like Richmond Park, and in the market towns of South East England where they used to do very well.
    Is Sarah Wollaston not standing for them there? I'd reckon she's a 25-30% chance of holding if she does.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,025
    Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:
    Share price off 10% in the last 48 hours, it's going to cost them well into the billions to sort this out.

Analysts on the radio this morning suggesting that at some point it's worth buying in though - the company isn't going to be allowed to go bust, and the global aviation market is still rapidly expanding.
    Even if it did go bust, the company would still exist, just with new owners.
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,900
    AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

I wonder whether it's getting to the stage where politicians on all sides decide to put everything off until the New Year, so at least they can get some rest over the Christmas period and have time to read all the documents properly.
    It is quite strange that after decades of wanting to leave the European Union, the leavers are prepared to rush the leaving process through as quickly as possible. Proper scruitiny of the Withdrawal Agreement must surely be in the best interests of the leave side to get a better Brexit.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Yep. Pretty much a dead heat in votes, but 20-25% more seats for the Libs.

I guess a similar things would happen to Labour in the UK - even at a 20% GB share there's a lot of seats in cities that would stay bright red.
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,478
    AndyJS said:

moonshine said:

[E X C I T E D]
    [C L A P]
    [C L A P]

I don’t think the second referendum vote will go through. The customs union is trickier for the government but about 50/50 at this stage, id say.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

SunnyJim said:

Certainly the SNP's.

Is Sarah Wollaston not standing for them there? I'd reckon she's a 25-30% chance of holding if she does.
    Oh she's standing for the LibDems. And she'll do well in Totnes town itself. But that is not remotely representative of the constituency, which also contains the town of Brixham - now the most important fishing port in England and Wales. Good luck finding Wollaston supporters there. And as I have been finding recently, there is no movement from previous Tory voters to the LibDems in the larger villages that dot the South Hams.

Tory by at least 5,000 I'd say.
  • Options
    Interesting that both the United States and Canada now have leaders that lost the popular vote.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,014
    eristdoof said:

AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

It is quite strange that after decades of wanting to leave the European Union, the leavers are prepared to rush the leaving process through as quickly as possible. Proper scruitiny of the Withdrawal Agreement must surely be in the best interests of the leave side to get a better Brexit.
    A 'better Brexit' for many of them is one in which they can do what they want without a light being shone on their activities.

• Options
    rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Even if it did go bust, the company would still exist, just with new owners.
    Wouldn't want to be holding the worthless paper if that's what happens though!

I think the argument was more that the White House would make sure a few billion in 'defence contracts' found their way to Boeing if there was any chance of them going under. Trump wouldn't want such a high-profile failure in election year, and Boeing is way more strategic to national security than the auto makers.
  • Options
    The consensus view seems to be that there probably is a majority for Johnson's deal but not by 31st October.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

moonshine said:

[E X C I T E D]
    [C L A P]
    [C L A P]

I don’t think the second referendum vote will go through. The customs union is trickier for the government but about 50/50 at this stage, id say.
    Even if the DUP only abstain rather than vote against customs union, where does it get the numbers from?

The only wrecking amendment I can potentially see working at the moment is a VONC and even that looks more likely to fail than not.

That said it’s a very fragile and unlikely coalition that the govt has built. That’s why they’re want things dealt this week and why the Remain At All Cost gang are desperate to drag out the process.

So the key question is how many votes will the govt lose between Second Reading and the timetabling motion.
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    What was the rubbish the Chancellor was going on about how businesses can move on and start making plans for new investment with certainty if the bill goes through?

They’ll just have to begin their new contingency planning for no deal at the end of next year.
  • Options
    moonshine said:

AndyJS said:

moonshine said:

[E X C I T E D]
    [C L A P]
    [C L A P]

Even if the DUP only abstain rather than vote against customs union, where does it get the numbers from?

The only wrecking amendment I can potentially see working at the moment is a VONC and even that looks more likely to fail than not.

That said it’s a very fragile and unlikely coalition that the govt has built. That’s why they’re want things dealt this week and why the Remain At All Cost gang are desperate to drag out the process.

So the key question is how many votes will the govt lose between Second Reading and the timetabling motion.
    I see The Times has Labour to abstain on second reading. First they block a vote from taking place. Then when a vote finally happens, they decline to express an opinion. What a shower.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,991
    Good morning, everyone.

One day we'll return to calm politics, but not for a while.

Finished my partial re-watch (seasons 2-4) of Babylon 5 yesterday. Really rather good.
  • Options
    moonshine said:

AndyJS said:

moonshine said:

[E X C I T E D]
    [C L A P]
    [C L A P]

I think the timetabling motion comes directly after the second reading vote.

Key will be by how many votes it passes at second reading. If it’s very slim, then a couple of switchers could make the difference on timetabling. If it’s a little more sturdy, they’ll probably have a bit more luck.

Never bet against the Commons wanting more time to make a decision though. If there’s a can, they’ll kick it. The question is whether this time there is enough pressure that they feel it’s crunch time. Saturday would say no, but we’re now a few days nearer and on the legislative stage, so we’ll see.
  • Options
    "Boris Johnson could scrap his Brexit deal as John Bercow blocks vote and Remainers plot to wreck it"

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/10/21/boris-johnson-could-scrap-brexit-deal-john-bercow-blocks-vote/
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

The consensus view seems to be that there probably is a majority for Johnson's deal but not by 31st October.

Woe betide those MPs that the public perceive are delaying Brexit just to get it past the 31st October so they can go nur-nur na nur-nur to the Prime Minister.....
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Woe betide those MPs that the public perceive are delaying Brexit just to get it past the 31st October so they can go nur-nur na nur-nur to the Prime Minister.....

AndyJS said:

If I thought my solicitor was just giving a quick flick-though to the deeds of my new house, rather than reading them properly, I'd be somewhat miffed. Especially if something went wrong shortly after I'd signed.
  • Options
    moonshine said:

moonshine said:

AndyJS said:

moonshine said:

[E X C I T E D]
    [C L A P]
    [C L A P]

I see The Times has Labour to abstain on second reading. First they block a vote from taking place. Then when a vote finally happens, they decline to express an opinion. What a shower.
    Surely not? That would be bonkers, even from them.

• Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,423

AndyJS said:

I’m not sure opposition MPs realise how nakedly transparent that play is to the general public.

They won’t profit by it. It just looks petulant at the country’s expense.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,005

moonshine said:

moonshine said:

AndyJS said:

moonshine said:

[E X C I T E D]
    [C L A P]
    [C L A P]

The second vote doesn't matter - it's a formality.

The timetable afterwards does matter as does any amendments they add in committee.
  • Options
    timmotimmo Posts: 1,469

rcs1000 said:

SunnyJim said:

Certainly the SNP's.

Is that in Canada?
  • Options
    NorthstarNorthstar Posts: 140

Good morning, everyone.

One day we'll return to calm politics, but not for a while.

Finished my partial re-watch (seasons 2-4) of Babylon 5 yesterday. Really rather good.

Babylon 5 hasn’t been equalled since, except via Mass Effect. Watched the Expanse the other day and was just cursing it the whole way through for not being B5. Thats no way to live.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Interesting that both the United States and Canada now have leaders that lost the popular vote.

Scheer has energised his base but didn’t really convinced marginal swing voters.

I’m not an expert on Canadian politics but whilst he got the “cost of living” right, I’m not sure the more Republican-style noises on climate change and abortion were the right play.

He should have instead offered a progressive Conservative solution on the environment, and a long term target, and emphasised the importance of family whilst being non-committal on issues like abortion.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143

nico67 said:

RobD said:

nico67 said:

I still can’t work out whether Johnson wants this deal to go through or not .

A martyr election might suit him .

One things for sure the DUP are going to vote for any amendment that causes the government problems .

The DUP are in big trouble if this deal goes through .

Really? I thought they weren't going to vote for the customs union amendment.
    Apparently according to the lady from the Belfast Telegraph on Newsnight it’s basically all out war now .

The last straw I think was the Barclay admission at the HOL committee re customs . It’s really something when the Brexit Secretary doesn’t know what he’s negotiated.

The DUP must wreck this deal before any election , if this deal goes through before that then they’re going to be in big trouble against the UUP.

I can see why Leo Varadkar loves this deal , it’s almost a United Ireland without having to pick up the tab !

Like I said on here last night, the DUP are simple beasts. A United Ireland is the one thing they will NOT tolerate under any circumstance.

That is why the EU and the GFA are so powerful. They allow both sides to live with the fiction that they have both won and the other side has lost/given up.
    Definitely time for a Border Poll.
    If you think we've had problems after a 52:48 EU exit referendum I'd hate to see what would happen after a 52:48 border poll in favour of reunification.
  • Options
    Mr. Northstar, Mass Effect, particularly the second game, is quite fantastic.

Such a shame that Bioware's fallen off a cliff. Just glad that Obsidian, Larian, and CD Projekt Red appear to be making great games to help fill the void.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,081

AndyJS said:

Scheer has energised his base but didn’t really convinced marginal swing voters
    Sounds familiar!
  • Options

Sandpit said:

The Tories need to win in Ontario to form a Government.

They didn’t win in Ontario. Both their national image and that of Doug Ford’s provincial government hurt them.
  • Options

Mr. Northstar, Mass Effect, particularly the second game, is quite fantastic.

Such a shame that Bioware's fallen off a cliff. Just glad that Obsidian, Larian, and CD Projekt Red appear to be making great games to help fill the void.

Quite. I never got the hate for ME2 I thought it was unbelievably good. ME3 was great until the last third, which was frankly more aggravating than Brexit.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

If I thought my solicitor was just giving a quick flick-though to the deeds of my new house, rather than reading them properly, I'd be somewhat miffed. Especially if something went wrong shortly after I'd signed.
    Yet if those deeds were largely pro forma and he had been sat on them for an age, you'd equally be somewhat miffed if he was telling you that moving into your new couldn't happen for months and months......
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,315
    On topic, I agree with @david_herdson. Boris Johnson has been a duplicitous, treacherous, disloyal bastard for far more than the last four months.
  • Options
    eek said:

moonshine said:

moonshine said:

AndyJS said:

moonshine said:

[E X C I T E D]
    [C L A P]
    [C L A P]

The timetable afterwards does matter as does any amendments they add in committee.
    You could say the same thing about a Meaningful Vote but Grieve and Labour still schemed to make that formally a part of the legislative process for this bill.

Labour's cynical ploys are nakedly transparent to anyone that is paying an interest, which judging by the weekend viewing figures for Parliament's session seems to be an extraordinarily large number of people.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

Yet if those deeds were largely pro forma and he had been sat on them for an age, you'd equally be somewhat miffed if he was telling you that moving into your new couldn't happen for months and months......
    Depends if the old house was beautiful and the new house is a crack den.
  • Options
    Mr. Northstar, being a Playstation player I was late to the Mass Effect party. I'm well aware of the dislike for the end of the third instalment, and I do prefer the second game, but had never heard of dislike for the second. What did people think was wrong with it?
  • Options

AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

“Sat on them for an age...” - and just when was the Withdrawal Bill published ?
    It is only this morning that commentators are beginning to work out the detailed implications for NI, for example.

This is merely an extreme version of May’s tactics - keep everything to yourself, without consultation, and then critique your opponents for not rubber stamping whatever you might reveal shortly ahead of a self-imposed deadline.
  • Options
    moonshine said:

eek said:

moonshine said:

moonshine said:

AndyJS said:

moonshine said:

[E X C I T E D]
    [C L A P]
    [C L A P]

Even get the numbers from?

You could say the same thing about a Meaningful Vote but Grieve and Labour still schemed to make that formally a part of the legislative process for this bill.

Labour's cynical ploys are nakedly transparent to anyone that is paying an interest, which judging by the weekend viewing figures for Parliament's session seems to be an extraordinarily large number of people.
    And yet Leave parties still can’t claim the support of a majority of people. Funny that.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

Who says they are largely pro-forma? My solicitor?
  • Options

AndyJS said:

I’m not sure opposition MPs realise how nakedly transparent that play is to the general public.

So you’ve read and analysed the entire bill and think it should be passed with minimal scrutiny ?
    One of the blank cheque Boris brigade.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,126
    Nigelb said:

AndyJS said:

So you’ve read and analysed the entire bill and think it should be passed with minimal scrutiny ?
    "This is a really fantastic deal but I want you to pass it in three days without reading it or assessing its economic impact" said no trustworthy person ever.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

AndyJS said:

I speed read the main Bill last night in about 20 minutes. Easily done. It’s 40 pages of clauses with about 70 of schedules and annexes.

The rest is hokum. The Deal has been on the table for almost a year. MPs have debated the WA exhaustively.

The delaying tactics are very obvious, and rather desperate.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

AndyJS said:

"This is a really fantastic deal but I want you to pass it in three days without reading it or assessing its economic impact" said no trustworthy person ever.
    Since anyone who says the first five words is patently lying...:smile:
  • Options

Mr. Northstar, being a Playstation player I was late to the Mass Effect party. I'm well aware of the dislike for the end of the third instalment, and I do prefer the second game, but had never heard of dislike for the second. What did people think was wrong with it?

Purists who loved the first game thought it was too simplistic, and hated the fact that the overheating mechanic was ditched in favour of heat sink clips. I also came to the series late so played 2 first with no preconceptions and thought 1 was good but the game mechanics were a bit rickety.

It’s much the same argument against Dragon Age Origins and DA2, except there it’s true!
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Scheer has energised his base but didn’t really convinced marginal swing voters
    Sounds familiar!
    It has echoes of GE2005 here, albeit Blair did win a small majority.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

SunnyJim said:

Certainly the SNP's.

Totnes is very slightly more Leave than the median seat (53.9% vs 53.6%). The median Leave seats are:

Tewkesbury - Laurence Robertson, Conservative, majority 22,574.
    Wells - James Heappey, Conservative, majority 7,582.
    Basingstoke - Maria Miller, Conservative, majority 9,466.
    Banff and Buchan - David Duguid, Conservative, majority 3,693.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    Latest polls in Spanish GE show parties of left and right on 155 seats each. Balance of power with independistas! If this stays the same so does the chaos.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Yes, I think I agree with most of that.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

Who says they are largely pro-forma? My solicitor?
    Those familiar with the documents.....
  • Options
    edited October 2019

Nigelb said:

AndyJS said:

I speed read the main Bill last night in about 20 minutes. Easily done. It’s 40 pages of clauses with about 70 of schedules and annexes.

The rest is hokum. The Deal has been on the table for almost a year. MPs have debated the WA exhaustively.

So how many items did you pick out of it that MPs (of various shades) will dislike or will it just sail through?

I ask as my quick scan through picked up a lot of items Parliament is going to hate and fight over.

And just as an example, the need for paperwork for all exports from NI to GB really wasn't made clear until it was written down. Likewise the checks on live animal exports from NI to Ireland,
  • Options

AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

Feeble.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Those rushing Brexit through had better hope everything goes absolutely swimmingly, because if it doesn’t you’re really going to own every single problem.
  • Options
    eek said:

Nigelb said:

AndyJS said:

So how many items did you pick out of it that MPs (of various shades) will dislike or will it just sail through?

I ask as my quick scan through picked up a lot of items Parliament is going to hate and fight over.

And just as an example, the need for paperwork for all exports from NI to GB really wasn't made clear until it was written down. Likewise the checks on live animal exports from NI to Ireland,
    I was just about to cite that as what is surely going to be the major stumbling block.

It is also of course the key reason why this is a worse deal than May’s was.
  • Options
    Leavers really think any of this is going to change anyones minds? Views are cemented. We are split pretty much 50/50.

Remainers obstructing isnt going to lose any votes. If anything they’d lose votes if they didn’t.

Just like Boris being Boris is not going to lose any votes.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    https://twitter.com/PickardJE/status/1186535530655371264

Are the ERG really going to hold their noses and vote for this?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

So we’re going from frictionless trade across the whole of Europe to not even frictionless trade within our own country? Heh.
  • Options
    edited October 2019

Leavers really think any of this is going to change anyones minds? Views are cemented. We are split pretty much 50/50.

Remainers obstructing isnt going to lose any votes. If anything they’d lose votes if they didn’t.

The key point now is how this sets up the aftermath. Boris and the Conservatives own this outright. They have forced this through. If all is well they will benefit, but if the land of Brexit milk and honey fails to materialise they’ll have problems.
  • Options
    Mr. Northstar, I agree. The second game's just more polished, I think.

DA2 was obviously rushed. But, given that, it's not bad.

Sadly, given what's happened, my hopes for DA4 are pretty minimal.

Wouldn't be surprised if Bioware ended up being shut down.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    I don't trust Boris. but I trust very few MPs, and that's based on their actions over the last three years.

Very few voters with a brain do now. Why do we elect a bunch a bunch of shysters to rule - or should that misrule - over us?

On a scale of respect, they come below journalists and estate agents and just above child molesters. And even below liars who don't have the powers MPs possess.

When they're forced into facing the people, I'll vote for one whose pants aren't burning yet.

• Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819
    Canadian politics has always been very interesting, they've had a much longer history of multi party politics under FPTP. Looks this time like the Liberals benefited from their status as Not The Tories, which has cost the NDP from breaking through. If anything the results could be seen as mildly encouraging for Labour and worrying for the LIB dems. Being Not The Tories will always be a very powerful weapon.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Yes.

Just as Labour members opposed welfare cuts when Harriet Harman was leader and enthusiastically support them under Corbyn.

It’s the messenger they listen to, not the message.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

Feeble.
    The devil is in the detail - clearly you haven't read the act yet as if you had you would be able to point things out like:-

NI has paperwork for all exports to the uk
    Oh and animals into Southern Ireland (so the all ireland agriculture deal really worked for Bois)
    We still pay into the European Development Fund after 2020
    We can't bail out companies that Brexit damages...

And that's from my first quick glance - I'm sure far more and far worse nasties exist in the document.
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    edited October 2019

Perhaps won’t change people’s minds on the core question of “Brexit right or wrong”. Might change people’s minds in relation to the political parties. For example what does a person think who was

1) a eurosceptic remainer
    2) thinks we should probably leave because of the referendum result
    3) but not without a deal, certainly not a crash out one
    4) doesn’t want another referendum
    5) but would probably vote remain if we did
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Jonathan said:

The key point now is how this sets up the aftermath. Boris and the Conservatives own this outright. They have forced this through. If all is well they will benefit, but if the land of Brexit milk and honey fails to materialise they’ll have problems.

Which is why BoZo still needs an election before any of the ordure meets the spinny thing...
  • Options
    alex. said:

Dubious, won’t change people’s minds on the core question of “Brexit right or wrong”. Might change people’s minds in relation to the political parties. For example what does a person think who was

Well then they’re already supporting the deal?
  • Options
    alex. said:

Dubious, won’t change people’s minds on the core question of “Brexit right or wrong”. Might change people’s minds in relation to the political parties. For example what does a person think who was

Speaking for myself as I think I meet all your criteria:

I think the Liberal Democrats will have my vote at the next election.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Pulpstar said:

Also Benn finds something to his dislike in the WAIB - what were the chances of that :o !

And keeps the Brexit sore open

Firstly it will undermine the negotiating position (you must sign this deal!) and there will be endless agonising in Parliament about it

Far better to let the Executive handle it subject to parliamentary oversight

If you really think necessary have an in camera committee to be briefed on progress
  • Options
    nico67 said:

I still can’t work out whether Johnson wants this deal to go through or not .

A martyr election might suit him .

One things for sure the DUP are going to vote for any amendment that causes the government problems .

The DUP are in big trouble if this deal goes through .

Not if they fight. Yes if they roll.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited October 2019

That’s immediately incorrect. The EU is also negotiating a more distant trade relationship with its biggest trading partner.

https://fullfact.org/europe/where-does-eu-export/#

In fact if they had given Cameron something when he wanted a looser relationship within the EU we would never have had to have had the referendum.

Cameron didn't ask for a loose trading relationship. When he announced the referendum thing he said he wanted deregulation and job creation, then after the election he stuck with the referendum promise but changed the request to more control of immigration.

He was committed to the referendum either way, so it would still have been held regardless of what he'd negotiated. Arguably there were some changes which, had the EU agreed to them, would have changed the outcome of the referendum, but I think it would probably have gone the way it did whatever he'd brought back; The Leave side ran on immigration from Turkey, which the UK already had a veto on.
    I didnt say Cameron asked for a looser trading arrangement. He wanted to stay a member. You are right to say he wanted reasonable measures on deregulation, immigration and jobs. As the EU didn’t think we would vote Leave they didn’t see these proposals as a proper negotiation and therefore left Cameron out on a limb.
    Cameron failed to apply the limits on immigration that we currently have, why would the EU give us more powers when we weren't using the ones we currently have?
  • Options

Anyone who thinks Johnson's actions since becoming PM are out of character is a naive fool. It's not his actions since becoming PM that have led to him being totally mistrusted and disbelieved; it's his actions of the last 40 years.

Indeed, and the simple fact that he appears to be trying to avoid scrutiny is why everything he does must be checked and rechecked.

Has the Tory Party always been this myopic?
    Do you think there may be a lack of trust in MPs willingness to pass any Brexit measure in a timely fashion?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,936
    United Ireland here we come !
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,351

Scott_P said:
    Yes, I think I agree with most of that.
    +1
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,936
    alex. said:

Perhaps won’t change people’s minds on the core question of “Brexit right or wrong”. Might change people’s minds in relation to the political parties. For example what does a person think who was

Hello
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Jonathan said:

Which is why BoZo still needs an election before any of the ordure meets the spinny thing...
    I expect he will win, but the Tories will probably spend the next five years regretting it in a rerun of 92-97 or 07-10.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

alex. said:

Speaking for myself as I think I meet all your criteria:

I think the Liberal Democrats will have my vote at the next election.
    Ditto, FWIW.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Scott_P said:

Jonathan said:

I expect he will win, but the Tories will probably spend the next five years regretting it in a rerun of 92-97 or 07-10.
    Hardly, delivering Brexit and beating Corbyn and a 4th Tory term in office is key but you can only stretch the elastic so far
This discussion has been closed.