Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » On the day of Johnson’s Brexit plan the latest polling on how

Comments

• Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,892

Charles said:

viewcode said:

egg said:

egg said:

Cyclefree said:

Really sad to hear of the death of Jessye Norman. A superb singer. Her recording of Strauss’s 4 Last Songs is sublime. One of my 10 Desert Island discs.

Anyway one talk down, one to go. They stayed awake, laughed at the jokes and asked questions at the end. So am assuming not a disaster.....

Go on, share one of the jokes.
    No, don't, that's how music hall died. Once someone had seen an act on TV, nobody would pay to go and see it live.
    Bring back the good old days!

Velcro - what a rip off!

Two Elephants fell off a cliff. Boom Boom.

When I was at school, kids used to throw gold bars at me. I was the victim of bullion.
    I used to steal cars from a multi-storey car park. It was wrong on so many levels.
    As my father once said: "Son, never quote your parents"
    My dad was a pilot. I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like he did. Not screaming in fear like his passengers did.

https://inews.co.uk/light-relief/jokes/tim-vine-best-jokes-and-one-liners-495010
    On hearing one engine on a plane has failed, resulting in a 1 hour delay to the flight, an Irishman turns to his neighbour and says “if the other one goes we’ll be up here all night”
    You know that using an 'Irishman' as a signifier for stupidity is quite offensive @Charles?
    On hearing one engine on a plane has failed, resulting in a 1 hour delay to the flight, a Derby County fan turns to his neighbour and says “if the other one goes we’ll be up here all night...."

Better?
    Change it to ‘leave voter’ and the BBC will give you a 6 show series
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,557

With this shambles of a proposal from Boris getting laughed out in Brussels, and public opinion now swinging strongly against Brexit, maybe we should consider the possibility that Brexit will never happen?

What's taken you so long? :wink:
  • Options
    Yeah, Boris’s deal is a complete dud, but Dom realised he had to submit some nonsense to facilitate the ensuing blame game. Oh well.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,616
    edited October 2019
    AndyJS said:

...the BBC's iconic 1992 election night coverage, regarded by many psephological anoraks as one of the best ever election shows...

February 1974: hold my beer.

1) They still had bookies in the program then
    2) They had to interrupt the program because of bombs detonated in Belfast
    3) The favorite did not win
    4) No David Bloody Dimbleby

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRBbmeoghNI

• Options
    TGOHF2TGOHF2 Posts: 584
    Smuggling across the Irish border ? Glad there is none of that now.

🤷‍♂️
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    TGOHF2 said:

I feel less confident tonight having heard from Verhofstadt and co....
    In terms of the 'sources', of course it's easy to find sources to confirm any position.

I’ve seen less twat tweets mocking Dom’s war games though - may just be coincidence..
    I've seen exactly the same number (excluding the 2,000,150 retweets on here today).

A big fat zero. Not having a twitter account has many advantages.
  • Options
    TGOHF2 said:
    Indeed.

Conservatives 288
    DUP 10
    Lib Dem 1
    Former Conservatives 10-15
    Labour Leavers and Deal supporters (Kinnock etc) 10-20

Total: 319 - 334

Should be enough.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,491
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,899
    TGOHF2 said:

In terms of the 'sources', of course it's easy to find sources to confirm any position.

I’ve seen less twat tweets mocking Dom’s war games though - may just be coincidence..
    Why do you use sectarian iconography in your avatar?
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    https://twitter.com/tconnellyRTE/status/1179483414153576453?s=19

A view from an Irish journalist reporting on discussions
  • Options
    TGOHF2 said:
    That will help with the minimum pricing.
  • Options
    TGOHF2 said:

🤷‍♂️

What’s the thinking behind your using sectarian iconography in your avatar?
  • Options

TGOHF2 said:

🤷‍♂️

What’s the thinking behind your using sectarian iconography in your avatar?
    What a ridiculous comment.
  • Options
    The Boris admirers need to await another day. It’s still possible he could thwart Benn and leave 31 October with No Deal. Borisism isn’t dead yet!
  • Options

TGOHF2 said:
    Indeed.

Conservatives 288
    DUP 10
    Lib Dem 1

Should be enough.
    There’s no doubt a majority in the Commons for the sun shining every day next summer too.
  • Options
    philiph said:

TGOHF2 said:
    I think it is BoZos mate across the pond with the tariffs. No effect on prices here, at least until the EU retaliated.

What the world needs now is a tariff war...
  • Options
    eggegg Posts: 1,749
  • Options
    Foxy said:

philiph said:

TGOHF2 said:
    I think it is BoZos mate across the pond with the tariffs. No effect on prices here, at least until the EU retaliated.

You are right.
  • Options
    isam said:

Charles said:

viewcode said:

egg said:

egg said:

Cyclefree said:

Really sad to hear of the death of Jessye Norman. A superb singer. Her recording of Strauss’s 4 Last Songs is sublime. One of my 10 Desert Island discs.

Anyway one talk down, one to go. They stayed awake, laughed at the jokes and asked questions at the end. So am assuming not a disaster.....

No, don't, that's how music hall died. Once someone had seen an act on TV, nobody would pay to go and see it live.

Velcro - what a rip off!

When I was at school, kids used to throw gold bars at me. I was the victim of bullion.
    I used to steal cars from a multi-storey car park. It was wrong on so many levels.
    My dad was a pilot. I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like he did. Not screaming in fear like his passengers did.

https://inews.co.uk/light-relief/jokes/tim-vine-best-jokes-and-one-liners-495010
    On hearing one engine on a plane has failed, resulting in a 1 hour delay to the flight, an Irishman turns to his neighbour and says “if the other one goes we’ll be up here all night”
    You know that using an 'Irishman' as a signifier for stupidity is quite offensive @Charles?
    On hearing one engine on a plane has failed, resulting in a 1 hour delay to the flight, a Derby County fan turns to his neighbour and says “if the other one goes we’ll be up here all night...."

Better?
    Change it to ‘leave voter’ and the BBC will give you a 6 show series
    The Mark Report!
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    egg said:
    Checking your privilege as you climax
  • Options
    Foxy said:

philiph said:

TGOHF2 said:

Good for cutting greenhouse gases.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    egg said:
    Hard to know which of the two looks the least impressed with the notion!
  • Options

TGOHF2 said:

He doesn't. William of Orange is a symbol of the triumph of Parliamentary sovereignty. Stop being a twat. .
  • Options
    philiph said:

Foxy said:

philiph said:

TGOHF2 said:

Good for cutting greenhouse gases.
    If you like tariffs, perhaps you would like to pay mine. Because I'd rather not pay them.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

philiph said:

TGOHF2 said:

https://twitter.com/the_chrisshaw/status/1179420839650955266?s=21
  • Options

TGOHF2 said:

He doesn't. William of Orange is a symbol of the triumph of Parliamentary sovereignty. Stop being a twat. .
    I blame the schools.
  • Options

egg said:
    Hard to know which of the two looks the least impressed with the notion!
    Boris as always looks like a drowned version of Donald Trump.
  • Options
    TGOHF2 said:

Foxy said:

philiph said:

TGOHF2 said:

Though in a few months the EU will be bringing in punitive tariffs because of illegal subsidies to Boeing...

https://www.ft.com/content/9a2c5af6-e51c-11e9-9743-db5a370481bc
  • Options
    TGOHF2 said:
    Have the Scots already made the jump? Didn't even notice.
  • Options

TGOHF2 said:

Ah. A Dick abusing a twat.

Welcome Richard it’s pun night. This will cheer you up.

Was chatting to a lovely Blonde the other day, Ruth she said her name was.

When she asked my name I said ‘Egg, but everyone calls me Dick for short’

‘How do you get Dick from Egg’ she asked

I replied ‘just Ask nicely!’

Okay, seriously, exploring what you said there about Parliament winning, a counterfactual of what happens next if Orange lost?
  • Options
    philiph said:
    Meanwhile on c4 Mogg elaborates on the super secret by saying we are going to challenge it in the courts.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,899
    Con Hold Guildford. Possible Lib Dem target this time round ?
  • Options
    News update from the Egg desk.

Bernie Sanders is still alive.

“Mr Sanders had earlier announced his campaign had raised over $25m (£20m).”

What happens to all the money raised when people bow out these campaigns?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,011
    TGOHF2 said:
    It inhibits us from indulging your urge to grovel to Trump?
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Noo said:

TGOHF2 said:
    Pressure on Bayern after conceding two at Spurs.
    She looks a bit like him. How many daughters has he got?
  • Options

TGOHF2 said:

Richard, if you think this poster is using this image to indicate “a triumph of parliamentary sovereignty” you are far more credulous than I ever took you for.
  • Options
    egg said:

TGOHF2 said:

Ah. A Dick abusing a twat.

Welcome Richard it’s pun night. This will cheer you up.

Was chatting to a lovely Blonde the other day, Ruth she said her name was.

When she asked my name I said ‘Egg, but everyone calls me Dick for short’

‘How do you get Dick from Egg’ she asked

I replied ‘just Ask nicely!’

Okay, seriously, exploring what you said there about Parliament winning, a counterfactual of what happens next if Orange lost?
    It wasn't a case of Orange losing. He was there at the invitation of Parliament as a result of James having suspended Parliament. James basically wanted to reverse the result of the ECW and the Restoration settlement. The most likely result of William losing would have been a slide into another civil war. No Bill of Rights and eventually the sort of revolution we saw in France.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
  • Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    I have no idea whether the DUP had a hand in the actual formulation of this plan but it looks like something Nigel Dodds would have come up with.

If he did have a role in it, it certainly gives credence to the claim that all politics is local.
  • Options
    TGOHF2 said:

TGOHF2 said:

I blame the schools.
    That avatar is a deliberate piece of sectarian iconography, as you know full well. If you spent less time exhibiting bigoted anti-Irish, anti-catholic views, I’d be more inclined to accept you were just stupid.

But, you know what you are doing.

https://www.google.com/search?q=king+billy+mural&client=safari&prmd=isnv&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwikjdCHy_7kAhXHSxUIHc60AaUQ_AUoAXoECA4QAQ&biw=414&bih=613&dpr=3
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,919
    edited October 2019
    TGOHF2 said:

Foxy said:

philiph said:

TGOHF2 said:

The WTO has already decided that the US has also illegally subsidised Boeing, and in January will announce how much the EU can retaliate.

The EU, the US, the Canadians, the Russians, the South Koreans, the Chinese, the Japanese and oh yes, the British government, all subsidise aircraft manufacture in one way or another.

For a long time, there was this general view that - as everyone was doing it - it was best ignored. But President Trump has changed that. On the one hand, he believes it is the US's duty to have procurement rules designed to funnel cash to Boeing. But if Canada or the EU does the same, then that's illegal subsidies.

During the financial crisis, there was a huge amount of pressure put on state owned banks (in both the US and the EU) to only lend for new planes if they were "local". It was an insane, ridiculous subsidy that distorted the market. But they both did it.

And don't think we're immune. That lovely factory making wings in Wales. That had a bunch of regional development susbidies attached to it.

So, we're going to see a trade war. And we're all going to lose.
  • Options
    Gabs2Gabs2 Posts: 1,268

TGOHF2 said:

TGOHF2 said:

I blame the schools.
    That avatar is a deliberate piece of sectarian iconography, as you know full well. If you spent less time exhibiting bigoted anti-Irish, anti-catholic views, I’d be more inclined to accept you were just stupid.

https://www.google.com/search?q=king+billy+mural&client=safari&prmd=isnv&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwikjdCHy_7kAhXHSxUIHc60AaUQ_AUoAXoECA4QAQ&biw=414&bih=613&dpr=3
    The leader of the Glorious Revolution, celebrated as the birth of parliamentary sovereignty, is now off limits? That is like callling the Union Jack a racist avatar because it was used by the BNP.
  • Options

TGOHF2 said:

TGOHF2 said:

I blame the schools.

You really do come over as a complete lunatic.
  • Options

TGOHF2 said:

TGOHF2 said:

I blame the schools.

Calm down dear.
  • Options
    It appears being a Protestant is now a problem.
  • Options
    TGOHF2 said:

TGOHF2 said:

TGOHF2 said:

I blame the schools.

Calm down dear.
    I think you, @Richard_Tyndall, and @Gabs2 are all just hoping for a continental intervention to back our parliament against the dark forces ranged against it.
  • Options
    Y0kel said:

And I assume your choice of avatar is also coincidental?
  • Options

TGOHF2 said:
    Indeed.

Conservatives 288
    DUP 10
    Lib Dem 1

Should be enough.
    Pity you're negotiating with the EU not parliament.
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    Y0kel said:

Really? Why?
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Y0kel said:

That's my nation's flag, you know like the Welsh have a flag and the Scots have a flag. Even the English have one but apparently its bad form to show it for some reason.

I believe my nation's right to exist as an entity and choose what state it wishes to attach itself to is actually explicit in something called the Good Friday Agreement which an awful of people seem to be going on about at the moment.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,919

TGOHF2 said:

TGOHF2 said:

TGOHF2 said:

I blame the schools.

Calm down dear.
    I think you, @Richard_Tyndall, and @Gabs2 are all just hoping for a continental intervention to back our parliament against the dark forces ranged against it.
    Very good.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,936
    YouGov finds 58% of voters support restoring the death penalty for murder as part of a terrorist act, 57% for multiple murders and 53% for murder of a child.

Though only 34% support restoring the death penalty in all cases of murder

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/legal/articles-reports/2019/10/01/brits-want-harsher-punishments-criminals
  • Options

TGOHF2 said:

TGOHF2 said:

I blame the schools.

You really do come over as a complete lunatic.
    It’s a shame you think that Richard as I respect you as a poster. You don’t denote any sectarian dog whistling on here from certain posters? None at all?
  • Options

TGOHF2 said:
    Indeed.

Conservatives 288
    DUP 10
    Lib Dem 1

Should be enough.

There is no deal Johnson can put in front of the Commons that the ERG will vote for. Therein lies the problem.

• Options

Y0kel said:

Really? Why?
    They've run out of bowler hats
  • Options
    Y0kel said:

viewcode said:

Y0kel said:

That's my nation's flag, you know like the Welsh have a flag and the Scots have a flag. Even the English have one but apparently its bad form to show it for some reason.

I believe my nation's right to exist as an entity and choose what state it wishes to attach itself to is actually explicit in something called the Good Friday Agreement which an awful of people seem to be going on about at the moment.
    Actually, the Ulster flag has no official status. The correct flag is the Union Flag aka The Union Jack
  • Options

Y0kel said:

Really? Why?
    Well its King William isnt it, anything to do with him is automatically sectarian which means Protestants who in anyway see any association between them and this historical figure are also sectarian.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    TGOHF2 said:
    The EU are quaking in their boots....More tales from the Telegraph tomorrow night.
  • Options

Y0kel said:

viewcode said:

Y0kel said:

Actually, the Ulster flag has no official status. The correct flag is the Union Flag aka The Union Jack
    There you fail to understand that flags are associated to by people. Those who claim it as theirs and their nation's flag are no less legitimate than those who claim another flag which has official status or not.

I associate with it, plenty of others do. So its ours and we use it and no official status makes one ounce of difference.
  • Options
    Y0kel said:

Y0kel said:

Really? Why?
    Well its King William isnt it, anything to do with him is automatically sectarian which means Protestants who in anyway see any association between them and this historical figure are also sectarian.
    Pictures of ‘King Billy’ are classic sectarian iconography, as you know full well. Are you actually denying this?

• Options
    Y0kel said:

Y0kel said:

Really? Why?
    Well, it probably does nnot help when the Orange Lodges go charging through Short Strand with large banners of King Billy riding a white horse across the Boyne and waving a sword in the air.

That sort of thing makes an impression....
  • Options
    Y0kel said:

Y0kel said:

viewcode said:

Y0kel said:

There you fail to understand that flags are associated to by people. Those who claim it as theirs and their nation's flag are no less legitimate than those who claim another flag which has official status or not.

I associate with it, plenty of others do. So its ours and we use it and no official status makes one ounce of difference.
    Do you identify as Northern Irish first, British second?
  • Options

Y0kel said:

Y0kel said:

Really? Why?
    Well, it probably does nnot help when the Orange Lodges go charging through Short Strand with large banners of King Billy riding a white horse across the Boyne and waving a sword in the air.

Nothing to see here...
  • Options

Y0kel said:

Y0kel said:

viewcode said:

Y0kel said:

Who? Me or Yokel?
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    Y0kel said:

viewcode said:

Y0kel said:

Actually it's not. It was only ever the flag of the *government* of Northern Ireland and was never officially adopted as the flag of Northern Ireland itself.
  • Options

Y0kel said:

Y0kel said:

viewcode said:

Y0kel said:

Who? Me or Yokel?
    Yokel. I'm just curious as he described Northern Ireland as a nation.
  • Options

Y0kel said:

Y0kel said:

Really? Why?

Nothing to see here...
    As do sectarian actions the other way. It works both sides and the only way things will work is accept that people have their icons and thats all there is to it.
  • Options
    Y0kel said:

Y0kel said:

Y0kel said:

Really? Why?

Nothing to see here...
    As do sectarian actions the other way. It works both sides and the only way things will work is accept that people have their icons and thats all there is to it.
    Progress. At least you accept it is a sectarian icon.
  • Options
    edited October 2019

Y0kel said:

Y0kel said:

viewcode said:

Y0kel said:

My statehood is British my nationality is Northern Irish. Which comes first depends on the situation. Its one of the glorious delights that I can claim, according to the census, to be a bit of anything I want.
  • Options

Y0kel said:

Y0kel said:

viewcode said:

Y0kel said:

Who? Me or Yokel?
    Yokel. I'm just curious as he described Northern Ireland as a nation.
    Well, it is legally a country, although many who live there call it "The Province"
  • Options
    I’m reminded of a previous does of the vapours - from Lady Nugee

https://twitter.com/stigabell/status/684528231643492353?s=21
  • Options
    Y0kel said:

Y0kel said:

Y0kel said:

viewcode said:

Y0kel said:

My statehood is British my nationality is Northern Irish. Which comes first depends on the situation. Its one the glorious delights that I can claim, according to the census, to a bit of anything I want.
    In a united Ireland, would you still say your nationality was Northern Irish, or something else?
  • Options

Y0kel said:

Y0kel said:

Y0kel said:

Really? Why?

Nothing to see here...
    Progress. At least you accept it is a sectarian icon.
    According to some people, not others. Its called tolerance, not creating hierarchies or one sided victimhood or offense. History exists, leave at the door or keep rehashing it and trawling it up as a political weapon. Trawling it up does fuck all in this place that I live, just resentment on resentment.
  • Options
    The EU will never reject Johnson’s proposal outright and will say let’s keep talking, so at some point in the Blame Game game Johnson will have to walk away to No Deal. That will be an interesting moment.
  • Options
    DruttDrutt Posts: 1,093
    HYUFD said:
    wE wiLL NevEr ReoPen ThE WitHdrAWal AgReEmenT
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,097

The EU will never reject Johnson’s proposal outright and will say let’s keep talking, so at some point in the Blame Game game Johnson will have to walk away to No Deal. That will be an interesting moment.

Particularly if he walks away while writing a letter asking for an extension.
  • Options
    edited October 2019

@williamglenn

Northern Irish, but I'd not live in the Republic of Ireland anyway, my entire, cultural, political, and whatever you care to mention, immersion as a person is in a Northern Irish and British context. Thats my association by both choice and wish.

There is something that the simplification types elsewhere in the UK and in the Republic of Ireland have missed about this place and its the idea of Northern Irishness. Its a thing.

2011 census

• 40% of usual residents had a British only national identity
    • 25% had Irish only national identity
    • 21% had Northern Irish only national identity

• 48% of people included British as a national identity
    • 29% included Northern Irish as a national identity
    • 28 % included Irish as a national identity
  • Options
    Chris said:

Particularly if he walks away while writing a letter asking for an extension.

Walking away when the EU is saying a deal is not dead would be a thing. Presumably Cummings has wargamed it.

• Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,817
    Roger said:
    See moi
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Charles said:

viewcode said:

egg said:

egg said:

Cyclefree said:

Velcro - what a rip off!

What should i use? Most countries use a neighbouring province or country (and I’m Irish myself)
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,936

Except he can't without a Tory majority, if Boris gets that Tory majority then a Deal can be done if the EU dither for now
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    TGOHF2 said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

nico67 said:

rcs1000 said:

Am I right in thinking the Northern Ireland Assembly will now have some say over the backstop?

And removing it will therefore always become something for another day.

I would also like to point out that this is almost exactly what I predicted, and which I was poopooed about on here.
    With all due respect, but this new proposal does not place NI in both the UK and the EU.

HMG have moved from their proposal of:

"Let's substitute the impending hard NI/RoI border with two hard borders, demarking a no-mans land - exactly around that highly contested border region - which will be uncontrollable."

to their new proposal of:

"Let's replace the impending hard NI/RoI border with a hard NI/RoI customs border plus a hard NI/UK regulatory border, and to round out the picture, let's place an explosive devise underneath it all and hand the trigger for that to Arlene and the troglodytes."

It is no surprise that the entire NI business community (CBI NI, FSB NI, Manufacturing NI, etc.) have immediately rejected the new proposals.

The EU side is merely searching for a formulation of the rejection that is as polite and well explained as possible, to deflect the blame back to where it belongs.
    Varadkar.
    Pardon?

and by the way, well said
    Charles said:

Cyclefree said:

They stayed awake, laughed at the jokes and asked questions at the end. So am assuming not a disaster.....

Sounds like a description of the Brexit negotiations
    Varadkar bears much of the blame for the last 2 years.
    One of the many ironies of the Brexit debacle is the fact that the support of the EU enables the Irish to dictate terms to the British. For the past 1000 years or so the British have had the whip hand in that relationship - you can hardly blame the Irish for taking advantage of the position that the Tories have so foolishly gifted them.
    And they have blown it - got too greedy.
    Yes. They could have had a fabulous outcome and there’s a decent chance they will end up with No Deal.

I was in Dublin today - a lot of people are pissed at Varadkar but not saying so publicly. They are also deeply worried about access to the U.K. land bridge being cut off.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,318
    Y0kel said:

@williamglenn

Northern Irish, but I'd not live in the Republic of Ireland anyway, my entire, cultural, political, and whatever you care to mention, immersion as a person is in a Northern Irish and British context. Thats my association by both choice and wish.

There is something that the simplification types elsewhere in the UK and in the Republic of Ireland have missed about this place and its the idea of Northern Irishness. Its a thing.

2011 census

Quite mixed, in fact. I'm not sure what conclusions you draw from these figures? You'd get the same sort of variation in England (are you English, British, a Yorkshireman, a European, a citizen of nowhere, whatever).
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,958
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Y0kel said:

@williamglenn

2011 census

What if there were no longer a British state and England, Scotland and Wales were independent. How do you think British/unionist identity would find expression?
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Charles said:

TGOHF2 said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

nico67 said:

rcs1000 said:

Am I right in thinking the Northern Ireland Assembly will now have some say over the backstop?

And removing it will therefore always become something for another day.

I would also like to point out that this is almost exactly what I predicted, and which I was poopooed about on here.
    With all due respect, but this new proposal does not place NI in both the UK and the EU.

HMG have moved from their proposal of:

"Let's substitute the impending hard NI/RoI border with two hard borders, demarking a no-mans land - exactly around that highly contested border region - which will be uncontrollable."

to their new proposal of:

"Let's replace the impending hard NI/RoI border with a hard NI/RoI customs border plus a hard NI/UK regulatory border, and to round out the picture, let's place an explosive devise underneath it all and hand the trigger for that to Arlene and the troglodytes."

It is no surprise that the entire NI business community (CBI NI, FSB NI, Manufacturing NI, etc.) have immediately rejected the new proposals.

The EU side is merely searching for a formulation of the rejection that is as polite and well explained as possible, to deflect the blame back to where it belongs.
    Varadkar.
    Pardon?

and by the way, well said
    Charles said:

Cyclefree said:

They stayed awake, laughed at the jokes and asked questions at the end. So am assuming not a disaster.....

Sounds like a description of the Brexit negotiations
    Varadkar bears much of the blame for the last 2 years.
    One of the many ironies of the Brexit debacle is the fact that the support of the EU enables the Irish to dictate terms to the British. For the past 1000 years or so the British have had the whip hand in that relationship - you can hardly blame the Irish for taking advantage of the position that the Tories have so foolishly gifted them.
    And they have blown it - got too greedy.
    Yes. They could have had a fabulous outcome and there’s a decent chance they will end up with No Deal.

I was in Dublin today - a lot of people are pissed at Varadkar but not saying so publicly. They are also deeply worried about access to the U.K. land bridge being cut off.
    Irish business people who spoke to me were certainly not happy with the EU
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,097
    Surely it won't be too long before the president of the USA is placed in psychiatric care?
This discussion has been closed.