Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Rebels with a cause

Comments

• Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979

Cyclefree said:

@HYUFD wrote this on a previous thread - “We are in a domestic civil war with diehard Remainers, there is no more room for appeasement as there was not in 1940 either”.

Equating people who want to Remain in the EU with Nazis is, frankly, a disgraceful statement for him to make.

He was always a bit eccentric and obsessed with polls and his interpretations of them. But lately, he has gone really ………..
    It's the first sign of acceptance of the impending accession of Prime Minister Swinson. Bringer of Liberalism. Breaker of chains.
    Swinson is neither a liberal nor a democrat.
    Nor Prime Minister material.
    Hasn't stopped Boris Johnson.
    When Boris steps down in 2027, leaving behind a rip-roaring economy and a One Nation Conservative party with a majority of 122, you'll finally have to concede he was "OK....."
    If No Deal Brexit happens by nefarious means you might be counting your chickens on that one!
    I'll probably be eating my chickens. The last of the non-chlorinated ones....!
    Do you give your chickens names? Some people do! i.e. I ate Harriet on Sunday...
  • Options

iii)Then there was, I say, Priti Patel, now our home secretary. He levers his eyes heavenward. “I remember her attack that wealthy people didn’t understand the problems of immigration. It felt very like she was put on point to do some attacking of the government and its record. I suppose some people would say all is fair in love and war and political campaigns. I thought there were places Conservatives wouldn’t go against each other. And they did.”

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Let's rewind to a previous referendum organised by Mr Cameron, shall we? The one about AV, obviously close to the hearts of everyone on here. Did Dave himself behave in the gentlemanly fashion he latterly expected of Gove and Patel?

BBC: "Lib Dem minister Mr Huhne accused the Conservatives of "trashing" his party and Mr Cameron of doing nothing to stop personal attacks on Mr Clegg by the No campaign."

Guardian: "Cameron threw both the Tory machine and the considerable Tory bankbook at the operation."

That'll be a no then.

You stupid, stupid, bastard, Dave. You really are a quite phenomenally stupid bastard. Really, stunningly, brazenly stupid.
  • Options
    Makes a November election almost impossible and a December election extremely tight for Thurs 12th Dec.
  • Options

iii)Then there was, I say, Priti Patel, now our home secretary. He levers his eyes heavenward. “I remember her attack that wealthy people didn’t understand the problems of immigration. It felt very like she was put on point to do some attacking of the government and its record. I suppose some people would say all is fair in love and war and political campaigns. I thought there were places Conservatives wouldn’t go against each other. And they did.”

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Let's rewind to a previous referendum organised by Mr Cameron, shall we? The one about AV, obviously close to the hearts of everyone on here. Did Dave himself behave in the gentlemanly fashion he latterly expected of Gove and Patel?

BBC: "Lib Dem minister Mr Huhne accused the Conservatives of "trashing" his party and Mr Cameron of doing nothing to stop personal attacks on Mr Clegg by the No campaign."

Guardian: "Cameron threw both the Tory machine and the considerable Tory bankbook at the operation."

That'll be a no then.

You stupid, stupid, bastard, Dave. You really are a quite phenomenally stupid bastard. Really, stunningly, brazenly stupid.
    That's the convicted criminal Chris Huhne eh?

The Lib Dems are not a part of the Tory party anyway.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

Cyclefree said:

@HYUFD wrote this on a previous thread - “We are in a domestic civil war with diehard Remainers, there is no more room for appeasement as there was not in 1940 either”.

Equating people who want to Remain in the EU with Nazis is, frankly, a disgraceful statement for him to make.

He was always a bit eccentric and obsessed with polls and his interpretations of them. But lately, he has gone really ………..
    It's the first sign of acceptance of the impending accession of Prime Minister Swinson. Bringer of Liberalism. Breaker of chains.
    When Boris steps down in 2027, leaving behind a rip-roaring economy and a One Nation Conservative party with a majority of 122, you'll finally have to concede he was "OK....."
    If No Deal Brexit happens by nefarious means you might be counting your chickens on that one!
    Do you give your chickens names? Some people do! i.e. I ate Harriet on Sunday...
    Actually, I've given up on chickens. They are even more stupid than MPs.

I reared plenty of chickens as a kid. The only ones that had names were the vicious cocks you needed to avoid. A lesson carried through to adulthood.....
  • Options
    Dave hasn’t held back then.

I expect the juiciest bits are in the headlines (to make people buy it) - I’m more interested in the fully story, from his perspective.
  • Options

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

That'll be a no then.

That's the convicted criminal Chris Huhne eh?

The Lib Dems are not a part of the Tory party anyway.
    That is of course true. Quite a lot of the Tory party isn't a part of the Tory party any more, too.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,798

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

If we've left the EU by 4th November I wouldn't rule out the Commons doing something crazy like electing Grieve as Speaker just as an act of defiance...
    Would be excellent to see Harriet get the nod. She will be fantastic and do a great job. 👍
    I'm hoping it's Lindsay.

The Commons needs someone pleasant, sensible, down to earth and non-partisan if its to start recovering its reputation from the ridiculous Speaker Bercow.
    Bercow has been brilliant at stopping the government getting away with blue murder. He was a man for his time.
    It is surely possible to get a Speaker who does not have Bercow's weaknesses while possessing his strengths, we don't have to pretend he must have been all great or all terrible, or that the good erases the bad and vice versa.
  • Options

I expect the juiciest bits are in the headlines (to make people buy it) - I’m more interested in the fully story, from his perspective.

He's annoyed at the betrayal of Gove, Johnson, Patel, and Mordaunt for trashing their government during the referendum.

But he's really annoyed at what they've done to the party and the country (specifically No Deal), as a Unionist he's annoyed a lot by those prepared to sacrifice the Union and the peace process for Brexit

I suspect most members will ignore the advice of the man who is the only Tory to have won a majority in the last 27 years, they'll prefer to denigrate him.
  • Options

Makes a November election almost impossible and a December election extremely tight for Thurs 12th Dec.
    So Boris should be sage to beat the record for shortest serving PM unless he chooses to resign, even though he cannot do anything.
  • Options
    I expect Sarah Vine encouraged Gove to take no quarter given how he was sacked in 2014.

I think he was very loyal up until then. Even I thought Cameron didn’t handle it very delicately at the time.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,247
    nico67 said:

I’m surely not the only one really excited about the Supreme Court case next week . The proceedings start at 10.30 am next Tuesday .

The Gina Miller case was excellent in terms of seeing how the judges dissected the QCs questions . I’m sure this case won’t disappoint .

It’s being live streamed which is good news .

I'm excited for the spectacle but not for the result. I think it's virtually certain they will find for the government. The consequences of not doing so will be baulked at.

Yet they will have to look at compelling evidence that the PM lied about his reason for the shutdown.

How they finesse the judgement will be fascinating.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Actually, I've given up on chickens. They are even more stupid than MPs.

I reared plenty of chickens as a kid. The only ones that had names were the vicious cocks you needed to avoid. A lesson carried through to adulthood.....
    lol - Politics is full of up and coming members! :wink:
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

He's annoyed at the betrayal of Gove, Johnson, Patel, and Mordaunt for trashing their government during the referendum.

But he's really annoyed at what they've done to the party and the country (specifically No Deal), as a Unionist he's annoyed a lot by those prepared to sacrifice the Union and the peace process for Brexit

I suspect most members will ignore the advice of the man who is the only Tory to have won a majority in the last 27 years, they'll prefer to denigrate him.
    He won a majority and then created this mess.
  • Options

I expect Sarah Vine encouraged Gove to take no quarter given how he was sacked in 2014.

I think he was very loyal up until then. Even I thought Cameron didn’t handle it very delicately at the time.

https://twitter.com/TSEofPB/status/1172551409511882752
  • Options

If he hadn't waited to make his contempt for Johnson public until now, but done it at the time , maybe Remain would have won. But of course, like all Tories, he put Party before Country.
  • Options

I guessed as much.

But, I’m less interested in the personal scores to settle and feuding. And more in the politics and story from his point of view.

If it’s just an apologist case for the defence it won’t be very interesting.
  • Options

On our way to Southampton from North Wales today for our cruise tomorrow we encountered ovehead road signs warning that HGV travelling to Europe from the first November will need new documentation

As we drove through Oxford, passed the huge car plants, lots of HGV's were delivering from across the EU in a vivid demonstration of 'just in time' manufacturng

In our hotel I read Jo Swinson affirms she will not support Corbyn under any circumstances as he is unfit to be PM and said the same about Boris

I have backed brexit though I voted remain but unless a deal happens in July I want this madness bringing to a halt with either a referendum or even revoke as supported by Jo

And I said I would not comment before I return from holiday but Jo's rejection of Corbyn, and the evidence I have witnessed today has prompted me to comment

Will catch up in early October

Have a nice holiday! :smile: The news is terrible on a daily basis at the moment, so forget about it and enjoy the moment!
    I intended to do so but it does make it real and we need a deal
    We have a decent deal with the EU, complete with four opt outs (so does Denmark and they don't take leaving seriously).

Anything since 2016 that's been called a 'deal' is massively worse in the economic consequences for the left-behind people who moaned loudly about their unhappy lot, upset the applecart and voted against the govt in 2016.

MPs are representatives and not delegates. So get off your arses and show some leadership in being tough on Brexit and tough on its causes. Also stop prattling on about 'respecting' a fraudulent vote which ironically would have been nullified if the referendum had been officially 'binding' but depends on MPs as it was advisory. Thank you so much.
  • Options
    I presume that interview is in the Saturday Times tomorrow?
  • Options

I guessed as much.

But, I’m less interested in the personal scores to settle and feuding. And more in the politics and story from his point of view.

I think he wants to correct the record, he's tired of the meme that he panicked in calling the referendum because UKIP won the 2014 Euros, but he planned a referendum well before.
  • Options

Yes, and the first part of serialisation of the book, which continues into the Sunday Times.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

I guessed as much.

I think he wants to correct the record, he's tired of the meme that he panicked in calling the referendum because UKIP won the 2014 Euros, but he planned a referendum well before.
    That makes him look even more incompetent.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

I seem to recall you comparing by association leavers with the nationalist fanatics of the Yugoslav civil war.

For many of us that was an equally disreputable and hysterical association to make.

Cyclefree said:

I seem to recall you comparing by association leavers with the nationalist fanatics of the Yugoslav civil war.

For many of us that was an equally disreputable and hysterical association to make.
    For the nth time, I did no such thing.
    On the same basis HYUFD has not compared remainers to NAZIs.
    You are talking complete shite she did no such thing all she did was look around Europe for examples of nation states changing their status within the continent you had it explained by many but you still pedal shite.
  • Options

If he hadn't waited to make his contempt for Johnson public until now, but done it at the time , maybe Remain would have won. But of course, like all Tories, he put Party before Country.
    And that's another one checked off - as predicted, we've already had criticism that he is saying something at all, and now criticism he didn't say something sooner.

I guessed as much.

No, but if it is just an apologism that will tell us a lot about him, and so still worthwhile. I suspect, unfortunately, it is still too recent and live an issue to be anything but an apologist case. But given the ego of Johnson his response should be interesting - both main parties have very little respect or love for their former leaders, more than that they seem to hold them in utter contempt most of the time, and it flows from top all the way to the bottom as well.

BoJo and Corbyn should take note - one day, sooner than they will like, their party memberships will despise them.
  • Options

On our way to Southampton from North Wales today for our cruise tomorrow we encountered ovehead road signs warning that HGV travelling to Europe from the first November will need new documentation

As we drove through Oxford, passed the huge car plants, lots of HGV's were delivering from across the EU in a vivid demonstration of 'just in time' manufacturng

In our hotel I read Jo Swinson affirms she will not support Corbyn under any circumstances as he is unfit to be PM and said the same about Boris

I have backed brexit though I voted remain but unless a deal happens in July I want this madness bringing to a halt with either a referendum or even revoke as supported by Jo

And I said I would not comment before I return from holiday but Jo's rejection of Corbyn, and the evidence I have witnessed today has prompted me to comment

Have a nice holiday! :smile: The news is terrible on a daily basis at the moment, so forget about it and enjoy the moment!
    We have a decent deal with the EU, complete with four opt outs (so does Denmark and they don't take leaving seriously).

Anything since 2016 that's been called a 'deal' is massively worse in the economic consequences for the left-behind people who moaned loudly about their unhappy lot, upset the applecart and voted against the govt in 2016.

MPs are representatives and not delegates. So get off your arses and show some leadership in being tough on Brexit and tough on its causes. Also stop prattling on about 'respecting' a fraudulent vote which ironically would have been nullified if the referendum had been officially 'binding' but depends on MPs as it was advisory. Thank you so much.
    +1 I agree.
  • Options

Yes, and the first part of serialisation of the book, which continues into the Sunday Times.
    Thanks. That’s my weekend reading material decided then.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,593
    edited September 2019
    kle4 said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

If we've left the EU by 4th November I wouldn't rule out the Commons doing something crazy like electing Grieve as Speaker just as an act of defiance...
    Would be excellent to see Harriet get the nod. She will be fantastic and do a great job. 👍
    I'm hoping it's Lindsay.

The Commons needs someone pleasant, sensible, down to earth and non-partisan if its to start recovering its reputation from the ridiculous Speaker Bercow.
    Bercow has been brilliant at stopping the government getting away with blue murder. He was a man for his time.
    It is surely possible to get a Speaker who does not have Bercow's weaknesses while possessing his strengths, we don't have to pretend he must have been all great or all terrible, or that the good erases the bad and vice versa.
    Does leaving like this let Bercow escape any responsibility for the culture of bullying in his department flagged up in 2011, and the report he has been refusing to address for the last 18 months?
  • Options

Still spouting the same old Remoaner bullshit I see. The vote was not fraudulent and you are another sad sack who only likes democracy when you are winning.
  • Options
    Hilariously, Tim Martin is blaming the establishment for a 19% drop in profits at Wetherspoons. Wonderful stuff!

https://metro.co.uk/2019/03/15/wetherspoons-profits-drop-19-boss-blaming-remainers-8911577/?ito=article.desktop.share.top.twitter

• Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,826
    edited September 2019

If the Commons decided it wanted a November election when it returns on 14th October the election of the new speaker could always be put back until the new Parliament convene's.

That said I can't see an election until next Spring at the earliest now.
  • Options
    Are people really trying to draw some conclusion from abuse shouted at Boris ???

Its as meaningless as all such anecdotes.

Here's another - last week I heard some oldie furiously rambling on about Corbyn and Blair - "forty years down the pit, always voted Labour" - unfortunately he then shut up before he gave details about his intended future voting.

And what does that suggest ? Who knows.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,864
    Evening all :)

It'll be interesting to see what Cameron made of 2015 but the Conservative Party is a ruthless election machine and shows no mercy to any weakened opponent.

I suspect the LD brand was so toxic by 2015 nothing would have made any difference. The scale of the disaster, though well forecast by some on here, was a deep shock to the party and to be honest that party, the party I joined as a Liberal in 1980, died in 2015.

A new party has emerged, especially since 23/6/16, fiercely internationalist in outlook in a way the old party wan't yet most of the MPs are still from that old party.

Is it liberal? As I've said before, everyone has their own definition of liberal and far more people call themselves liberal than ever vote liberal. Boris Johnson calls himself "a massive liberal" - well, as Mr Meatloaf once opined, "two out of three ain't bad".
  • Options
    Alistair said:

I guessed as much.

I think that in my lifetime most of our brightest politicians went to grammar school not private school; I'm thinking of people like Harold Wilson, Roy Jenkins or Enoch Powell. Eton gives budding politicians a born to rule attitude but if they don't have the intellect to match, oh dear me ... they make elementary mistakes like calling a referendum which they're not 99.9% sure to win.

Harold Wilson was sure that the population would support his side in the 1975 vote, after Benn suggested it to him, and duly won by 67-33%. Cameron either didn't check what the chances were, or else he was so out of touch with Scunthorpe, Stoke, Cleethorpes et al that he didn't deserve to be PM.

Dominic Grieve is the apparent exception to the rule. It appears that he went to Westminster.
  • Options

+1 I agree.
    +1 but we were unable to sell it to the masses that wanted bendy bananas
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,344
    On topic: Bonkers idea - it'd simply further split the anti-Johnson vote. The seat is a good example of the problems of anti-Tory tactical voting. The seat is one where the winner will obviously be Johnson or Labour (who got 40% last time, while the LibDems got 3.9%). Ladbrokes suggesting that Labour might step aside suggests that the well-informed Shadsy is taking a well-earned holiday.
  • Options

Still spouting the same old Remoaner bullshit I see. The vote was not fraudulent and you are another sad sack who only likes democracy when you are winning.
    B******s. If I'm a Remoaner, you're a Brexshit but I'm sad that you resort to insulting people who hold different views. It's usually an act of weakness ...

FWIW I agree with three past PMs who all said that referendums were an abomination. They clash with the UK's type of representative democracy. These people were Clem Attlee, Ted Heath and Margaret Thatcher.

I now understand why they held this view, after a 2016 PM was so stupid as to call a referendum which might clash with a sovereign parliament. It was and is a continuing disaster. Over and out.
  • Options

Hilariously, Tim Martin is blaming the establishment for a 19% drop in profits at Wetherspoons. Wonderful stuff!

https://metro.co.uk/2019/03/15/wetherspoons-profits-drop-19-boss-blaming-remainers-8911577/?ito=article.desktop.share.top.twitter

i wouldn’t go into one for a piss but if you piss off 48% of your potential customers you get what you deserve. Apparently the last I heard was that he was an expert on the U.K. automotive industry on bbc to defend no deal.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

+1 I agree.
    Remainer lies were no longer believed by enough people.

That's part of the issue and the other is that everyone is an individual with their own desires and experiences.

What the establishment should have done was make membership of the EU work for all the people of this country.

But they wanted all the benefits for themselves and didn't care if others lost out.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

On topic: Bonkers idea - it'd simply further split the anti-Johnson vote. The seat is a good example of the problems of anti-Tory tactical voting. The seat is one where the winner will obviously be Johnson or Labour (who got 40% last time, while the LibDems got 3.9%). Ladbrokes suggesting that Labour might step aside suggests that the well-informed Shadsy is taking a well-earned holiday.

Shadsy knows what he’s doing

He’s encourage people to bet on the Lib Dem’s...
  • Options
    nichomar said:

i wouldn’t go into one for a piss but if you piss off 48% of your potential customers you get what you deserve. .
    Do most people really know the guy who owns the chain who own the nearby pub hates remainers? I have to remind myself who he is every time he comes up and I'm an obsessed anorak.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,488
    edited September 2019
    kle4 said:

nichomar said:

i wouldn’t go into one for a piss but if you piss off 48% of your potential customers you get what you deserve. .
    Do most people really know the guy who owns the chain who own the nearby pub hates remainers? I have to remind myself who he is every time he comes up and I'm an obsessed anorak.
    To show my man of the people credentials I went to the Wetherspoons in Piccadilly Gardens earlier on this year, they had pro Brexit beermats and lots of pro Brexit manifesto magazines with his face and thoughts lying about.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

nichomar said:

Well he did have all his pint glasses marked with leave.eu so they should have a good idea
  • Options
    kle4 said:

nichomar said:

The beermats might have been a clue.
    https://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/may/31/wetherspoons-brexit-beer-mats-eu-referendum-imf
  • Options
    Margot James tomorrow maybe?
  • Options
    nichomar said:

Heidi Allen.
  • Options

nichomar said:

+1 I agree.

That's part of the issue and the other is that everyone is an individual with their own desires and experiences.

What the establishment should have done was make membership of the EU work for all the people of this country.

But they wanted all the benefits for themselves and didn't care if others lost out.
    So how is leaving going to benefit them?
  • Options

nichomar said:

Heidi Allen.
    Not yet
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028
    If Boris wins a majority nationally he will easily be re elected in Uxbridge, in fact on UNS Labour would need to win an overall majority to take the seat so I suspect Boris has little to fear whatever current polls say, in fact an anti Brexit Tory candidate could just split the diehard Remainer anti Boris vote
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
  • Options
  • Options

He made a visit to a local pub in the area I live and the local press featured it before the event. I thought about going along to put him right on a few things he said on a Channel 4 interview a few days before. But to be honest I think my personal safety is more important than trying to put someone right. He does not like University educated people anyway, he forgets how much custom students put his way! :wink:
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,008
    Remain

nichomar said:

+1 I agree.

Remain didn’t lie. Leave did.

That’s going to be the problem for UK for a generation!
  • Options

B******s. If I'm a Remoaner, you're a Brexshit but I'm sad that you resort to insulting people who hold different views. It's usually an act of weakness ...

FWIW I agree with three past PMs who all said that referendums were an abomination. They clash with the UK's type of representative democracy. These people were Clem Attlee, Ted Heath and Margaret Thatcher.

I now understand why they held this view, after a 2016 PM was so stupid as to call a referendum which might clash with a sovereign parliament. It was and is a continuing disaster. Over and out.
    I liked your comment, to paraphrase "Tough on Brexit, Tough on the causes of Brexit"
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,803

Alistair said:

I guessed as much.

I think that in my lifetime most of our brightest politicians went to grammar school not private school; I'm thinking of people like Harold Wilson, Roy Jenkins or Enoch Powell. Eton gives budding politicians a born to rule attitude but if they don't have the intellect to match, oh dear me ... they make elementary mistakes like calling a referendum which they're not 99.9% sure to win.

Harold Wilson was sure that the population would support his side in the 1975 vote, after Benn suggested it to him, and duly won by 67-33%. Cameron either didn't check what the chances were, or else he was so out of touch with Scunthorpe, Stoke, Cleethorpes et al that he didn't deserve to be PM.

Dominic Grieve is the apparent exception to the rule. It appears that he went to Westminster.
    Even the Scottish referendum - only about 25% for Yes to begin with - gave Mr Cameron a very bad fright - he and his chums had to breach purdah in their panic. One might have thought he'd learnt his lesson.
  • Options

kle4 said:

nichomar said:

To show my man of the people credentials I went to the Wetherspoons in Piccadilly Gardens earlier on this year, they had pro Brexit beermats and lots of pro Brexit manifesto magazines with his face and thoughts lying about.
    You should be ashamed of yourself. The sad thing is that some of their conversions are excellent but I wouldn’t go for......
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    I don't understand why politicians do not return to that form of campaigning. Wilson really thrived in that atmosphere - particularly in 1964 and 1966 - others could do so today.
  • Options
    That's interesting he represents a Northeast seat. The sort of place abundant with Brexiteers...
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    edited September 2019

Did you see the paper on information gerrymandering? It includes a discussion of skewing information on how other people will vote, which is of course important for tactical voting.

Information gerrymandering in social networks skews collective decision-making
    An analysis shows that information flow between individuals in a social network can be ‘gerrymandered’ to skew perceptions of how others in the community will vote — which can alter the outcomes of elections.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-019-02562-z
  • Options
    Always suspected Brenda decided it was better for the headlines to be about Johnson than Andrew Windsor
  • Options

That's interesting he represents a Northeast seat. The sort of place abundant with Brexiteers...
    Tbf on 68% and a city seat hes safe regardless
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,826
    Will Cameron's memoirs reveal once and for all just what he actually did to that pig? :D
  • Options
    I'm thinking Streeting or Hodge, it sounds anti-s based from the tweet
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    nichomar said:

kle4 said:

nichomar said:

You should be ashamed of yourself. The sad thing is that some of their conversions are excellent but I wouldn’t go for......
    I really was ashamed. Really knarked me off that most of the people in Wetherspoons were wearing knock off stuff and I was wearing the proper stuff.
  • Options

nichomar said:

kle4 said:

nichomar said:

I really was ashamed. Really knarked me off that most of the people in Wetherspoons were wearing knock off stuff and I was wearing the proper stuff.
    Do you wear shell suits?
  • Options
    edited September 2019

nichomar said:

kle4 said:

nichomar said:

Do you wear shell suits?
    No!

Genuine Hackett and Burberry stuff that day.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Wow Dave's book.

i)He calls Michael Gove “mendacious” in the book.

ii) With the £350 million on the bus, I think Michael and Boris left the truth at home

He writes that Johnson and Gove behaved “appallingly”. Were they not just fighting to win?

“I say in the book: Boris had never argued for leaving the EU, right? Michael was a very strong Eurosceptic, but someone whom I’d known as this liberal, compassionate, rational Conservative ended up making arguments about Turkey [joining] and being swamped and what have you. They were trashing the government of which they were a part, effectively.”

Gove’s “people in this country have had enough of experts”? Johnson on the threat of Turkey – ie a Muslim country – joining the EU?

“Well, it was ridiculous. There was a moment when I think it was Penny Mordaunt said on a Sunday morning show, ‘We have no power to stop Turkey joining the EU.’ It’s just not true.”

Other observation

Prorogation and taking away the whip have rebounded. I don’t support either. And I don’t think no deal is a good idea’

From those tidbits Cameron sounds like a cry baby to be honest...
    {scrolls back up to see the poster}
    Oh, that fits.
  • Options

Did you see the paper on information gerrymandering? It includes a discussion of skewing information on how other people will vote, which is of course important for tactical voting.

Information gerrymandering in social networks skews collective decision-making
    An analysis shows that information flow between individuals in a social network can be ‘gerrymandered’ to skew perceptions of how others in the community will vote — which can alter the outcomes of elections.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-019-02562-z
    Interesting. I've no doubt we'll see that in action.
  • Options

Remain

nichomar said:

+1 I agree.

Remain didn’t lie. Leave did.

That’s going to be the problem for UK for a generation!
    I tell the truth
    You get your facts wrong
    He lies

:wink:
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,986

He represents Newcastle. Which narrowly voted Remain.
  • Options

nichomar said:

kle4 said:

nichomar said:

Do you wear shell suits?
    They have a Witherspoon’s in wilmslow no shell suits allowed.
  • Options

nichomar said:

Heidi Allen.
    I'm speaking there tomorrow (at the animal welfare fringe event) - will look out for familiar faces!
  • Options

Not really - a Dissolution would override it with the Speaker being elected when Parliament reassembled.
  • Options

nichomar said:

kle4 said:

nichomar said:

Do you wear shell suits?
    No!

Good British brands! :smile: Somebody once offered me some 'space gear' in a Wetherspoons. I just said no as I have no idea what he was referring too. I presumed it was drugs, so I surreptitiously had a word in the staffs ear and they barred him!
  • Options
    nichomar said:

nichomar said:

+1 I agree.

Well they're getting better pay rises now doubtless to Stuart Rose's annoyance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyKrXB4i9Ag

And where was Boris today ? In those sort of areas which some PB Remainers make no attempt to hide their dislike of.

Perhaps they'll even get some more government spending.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,786
    Don't be daft it's clearly Bercow.

Those who've backed him in Betfair's next Labour leader market will be mortified.
  • Options
    I’ve had enough weather Thankyou, just managed to dry o

nichomar said:

kle4 said:

nichomar said:

Do you wear shell suits?
    No!

Good British brands! :smile: Somebody once offered me some 'space gear' in a Wetherspoons. I just said no as I have no idea what he was referring too. I presumed it was drugs, so I surreptitiously had a word in the staffs ear and they barred him!
  • Options
    nichomar said:

nichomar said:

kle4 said:

nichomar said:

Do you wear shell suits?
    They have a Witherspoon’s in wilmslow no shell suits allowed.
    No perms or moustaches either!
  • Options

nichomar said:

nichomar said:

+1 I agree.

And where was Boris today ? In those sort of areas which some PB Remainers make no attempt to hide their dislike of.

Only if they are in a marginal
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,134
    HYUFD said:

If Boris wins a majority nationally he will easily be re elected in Uxbridge, in fact on UNS Labour would need to win an overall majority to take the seat so I suspect Boris has little to fear whatever current polls say, in fact an anti Brexit Tory candidate could just split the diehard Remainer anti Boris vote

Are you really so bone-headedly stupid that you can't understand the difference between (1) people who don't want to plunge the country into the lunacy of a No Deal Brexit and (2) "diehard remainers"?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,292
    Orpington is more winnable for the LDs than Uxbridge
  • Options
    Chris said:

HYUFD said:

Are you really so bone-headedly stupid that you can't understand the difference between (1) people who don't want to plunge the country into the lunacy of a No Deal Brexit and (2) "diehard remainers"?
    A QTWTAIY
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,081
    dixiedean said:

He represents Newcastle. Which narrowly voted Remain.
    Newcastle upon Tyne East as well so the very studenty parts of the inner city, for those who don't know Newcastle.
  • Options
    edited September 2019

Won't be either of those.

How about Diana Johnson? On the way to being deselected. Doesn't like Corbyn. Labour friends of Israel. LDs quite strong in her patch
  • Options
    nichomar said:

nichomar said:

nichomar said:

+1 I agree.

Only if they are in a marginal
    Very possible.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

I think Ian is in the know😁😉
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

It could be Alistair Campbell?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Gavin Shuker?
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Hes not in the labour party any more is he?
  • Options
    nichomar said:

IanB2 said:

I am not getting much LibDem gossip here in the Chicago sunshine.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

IanB2 said:

Gavin Shuker?
    Hes not labour
  • Options

IanB2 said:

17 going on 18 and 21 today by the end of next week (maybe)
  • Options
    nichomar said:

IanB2 said:

17 going on 18 and 21 today by the end of next week (maybe)
    Another 300 and jo is in business
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

nichomar said:

IanB2 said:

I am not getting much LibDem gossip here in the Chicago sunshine.
    Well you did think we would lose the Rushmoor by election🤣
  • Options
    Stephen Twigg, he of course 'owns' the iconic Portillo defeat in 1997. He does not represent a marginal and is standing down but that would be a significant development if he was leaving Labour.
  • Options

justin124 said:

IanB2 said:

Gavin Shuker?
    Hes not labour
    He was until late February. It would seem a bit odd for a Labour MP to jump now having failed to do so earlier in the year - particularly as the party has now moved to backing a Referendum. Labour also leads the LDs in all the polls - in some cases by big margins.
  • Options

Stephen Twigg, he of course 'owns' the iconic Portillo defeat in 1997. He does not represent a marginal and is standing down but that would be a significant development if he was leaving Labour.

Can see the Liverpool link but very much below the radar. Top spot if you are right!
  • Options
    justin124 said:

justin124 said:

IanB2 said:

Gavin Shuker?
    Hes not labour
    He was until late February. It would seem a bit odd for a Labour MP to jump now having failed to do so earlier in the year - particularly as the party has now moved to backing a Referendum. Labour also leads the LDs in all the polls - in some cases by big margins.
    Sure but the rumour is from labour to Lib dem
This discussion has been closed.