Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Boris Johnson Invites Himself to the Battle of Ipsus

Comments

• Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    eek said:

TGOHF said:

OllyT said:

OllyT said:

I am beginning to think that if Boris nee Cummings frames this as a remain parliament obstructing the vote and he has no choice but to call a GE to put democracy and the people first v the HOC, the elite, HOL and the EU he could just win

He will win. This thread is an echo chamber and just doesnt get it.

Cummings WANTS an election. That has been the plan all along. Jeez....

Of course the opposition MPs know Cummings is trying to goad them into an election. They also know he is desperate for that election to be BEFORE the sh1t hits the fan on October 31st.

Beyond that date he will have either opted for a deal and Farage's mob will be on the march with their pitchforks or he has opted for a chaotic No Deal exit. Once he goes past Oct 31st the prospects of a big election win become far less certain.
    No no no...Dont you get it?

If the oppo take control BEFORE then, then it is no longer BoJo's responsibility. If its immediately afterwards then the adverse effects will still not have been fully felt and he will still win. It Brexit is delayed then no one now is going to blame Con Leavers. They will blame Lab, Con remainers and LDs (in that order). Farage's fox has already been shot. Hence the 10-15 point lead for the Cons in the polls.

Remain is trapped.
    Just stop telling everyone else that they don't get it and implying we are stupid. Nobody knows how this is going to pan out, w all have different views and yours have no greater validity than anyone else's.

In my opinion Cummings wants an election before Oct 31st hence his ever more desperate antics to goad parliament into doing what he wants. If parliament doesn't oblige then I think you will find that it is Cummings that is trapped as Oct 31st rolls around.

Polls taken before we know what Cummings actually does on Oct 31st are practically meaningless. Have you forgotten that May started her election campaign with a 20 point lead?
    I don’t think they want an election until after Brexit - very simple campaign if we are out.

The guys who did it vs the numb nuts who want to rejoin.
    If we are out without a deal - that campaign may go rather differently than you think.
    Depends what he spends the £39 Bn on I guess.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,977
    eek said:

dixiedean said:

eek said:

dixiedean said:

CatMan said:

That article is 4 years old. Also the person who tweeted it is a "Trump supporting Brit Vet".
    Unlikely. British people don't use the word Brit. And vets, of course, are animal doctors. So double fail.
    The Trump supporting Brit Vet was a polite way of saying Cummings or Cummings backer backed twitter bot.
    Unlikely to be Cummings directly. He can surely get the basics of vernacular correct.
    It's outsourced to a cheap provider - it's hard to get your english right when you main language is Russian..
    Yep. I was slow on the uptake...not a first.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

I think Boris will do well in an election but I’m not convinced the vote will be efficient. They will pile up new votes in Labour seats with huge majorities but not win them.

What reason do you give for that?

The safest Labour seats by and large, along with the safest SNP seats are the seats where Remain piled up large majorities.

Swing seats tended to be won by Leave.

What you are effectively saying is they will pile up votes in Remain seats. Seems unlikely.
    60% of Labour constituencies voted leave.
    Yes and those 60% largely include the target seats Boris will be hoping to win.

The 40% largely won't include the target seats Boris will be hoping to win.

If Boris can win the target seats within the 60% I don't think he'll care too much if he also wins votes in other ones he wasn't targetting. What matters is the target seats.
    What I’m saying is that the people Boris is now appealing to, for example the Northern Working Class, live in relatively safe Labour seats. Boris can pile up new Tory votes in these places and still not win any of them.

My seat is a prime example. 57% Leave. MP is a ‘diehard Remainer’.

Labour will easily retain it.
    Do you have any evidence for that?

Your seat may be an example, but there are plenty of Northern Working Class [and similary] swing seats too. Winning votes in your seat doesn't preclude winning votes in swing seats.

In fact as has been regularly posted here before the bulk of swing seats fit within a simple type: suburban towns.

Inner cities tend to be Labour, the rural areas tend to be Tory. It is suburban towns that tend to decide who wins elections and there are plenty of Northern Working Class [and comparable] swing voters in suburban towns.

There are a lot of swing seats across the North West and Midlands.
    This is Labour country. Hatred of the Tories runs deep. Brexit does not change that.
    Labour in Scotland used to think that.

Labour in Wales used to think that.
    You note that the left love to talk about hatred

Hate is what they do.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079

I think Boris will do well in an election but I’m not convinced the vote will be efficient. They will pile up new votes in Labour seats with huge majorities but not win them.

The safest Labour seats by and large, along with the safest SNP seats are the seats where Remain piled up large majorities.

What you are effectively saying is they will pile up votes in Remain seats. Seems unlikely.

If Boris can win the target seats within the 60% I don't think he'll care too much if he also wins votes in other ones he wasn't targetting. What matters is the target seats.
    What I’m saying is that the people Boris is now appealing to, for example the Northern Working Class, live in relatively safe Labour seats. Boris can pile up new Tory votes in these places and still not win any of them.

Your seat may be an example, but there are plenty of Northern Working Class [and similary] swing seats too. Winning votes in your seat doesn't preclude winning votes in swing seats.

In fact as has been regularly posted here before the bulk of swing seats fit within a simple type: suburban towns.

Inner cities tend to be Labour, the rural areas tend to be Tory. It is suburban towns that tend to decide who wins elections and there are plenty of Northern Working Class [and comparable] swing voters in suburban towns.

This is Labour country. Hatred of the Tories runs deep. Brexit does not change that.
    My experience is that this "hatred" ( a bad and unpleasant word in politics, dont you think) has been somewhat lessened in recent years by a countervailing "hatred" of the new London metropolitan Labour Party as exemplified by Corbyn?

Just a thought...
    What is your experience? Have you been door knocking in the North East?
  • Options

My experience is that this "hatred" ( a bad and unpleasant word in politics, dont you think) has been somewhat lessened in recent years by a countervailing "hatred" of the new London metropolitan Labour Party as exemplified by Corbyn?

Just a thought...
    Have you in the North West?
  • Options

Just a thought...
    Have you in the North West?
    I'm not claiming to know anything about the North West.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Which is moot. So too are many inner city highly Remain places like inner London and Liverpool.

What matters are the swing seats. Is Boris targeting swing voters in swing seats?
    Swing voters and swing seats are changing their meaning. It no longer means what it used to mean.
    I'm sceptical of that.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913
    TGOHF said:

OllyT said:

OllyT said:

I am beginning to think that if Boris nee Cummings frames this as a remain parliament obstructing the vote and he has no choice but to call a GE to put democracy and the people first v the HOC, the elite, HOL and the EU he could just win

Of course the opposition MPs know Cummings is trying to goad them into an election. They also know he is desperate for that election to be BEFORE the sh1t hits the fan on October 31st.

Beyond that date he will have either opted for a deal and Farage's mob will be on the march with their pitchforks or he has opted for a chaotic No Deal exit. Once he goes past Oct 31st the prospects of a big election win become far less certain.

If the oppo take control BEFORE then, then it is no longer BoJo's responsibility. If its immediately afterwards then the adverse effects will still not have been fully felt and he will still win. It Brexit is delayed then no one now is going to blame Con Leavers. They will blame Lab, Con remainers and LDs (in that order). Farage's fox has already been shot. Hence the 10-15 point lead for the Cons in the polls.

Remain is trapped.
    Just stop telling everyone else that they don't get it and implying we are stupid. Nobody knows how this is going to pan out, w all have different views and yours have no greater validity than anyone else's.

In my opinion Cummings wants an election before Oct 31st hence his ever more desperate antics to goad parliament into doing what he wants. If parliament doesn't oblige then I think you will find that it is Cummings that is trapped as Oct 31st rolls around.

Polls taken before we know what Cummings actually does on Oct 31st are practically meaningless. Have you forgotten that May started her election campaign with a 20 point lead?
    I don’t think they want an election until after Brexit - very simple campaign if we are out.

You are obviously of the opinion that after experiencing a No Deal Brexit a grateful nation will carry Johnson shoulder high and give him a huge majority. I see it panning out slightly differently.
  • Options

I do, I live here.

But there's more swing seats in the North West than the North East so why are you assuming the strategy will fail?
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,201

eek said:

TGOHF said:

OllyT said:

OllyT said:

Remain is trapped.

If we are out without a deal - that campaign may go rather differently than you think.
    Or it might not.
    Yes but Johnson's window for victory is small. After no deal the time between a Johnson landslide and a Corbyn majority could be very tight if things start to get messy.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,983

eek said:

Just a thought...
    Nope - Corbyn is liked around here as you could witness at this years (and previous years) Durham Miner's Gala.
    Sorry to be a pedant but thats in the NE.....
    Which is the area Gallowgate and myself know and were talking about.

And there are a few swing seats around here - I don't think any of them will go to the Tories though.
  • Options

I do, I live here.

But there's more swing seats in the North West than the North East so why are you assuming the strategy will fail?
    Is there polling or electoral evidence of a waterfall of Labour seats turning blue in the NW?
  • Options

Yes but Johnson's window for victory is small. After no deal the time between a Johnson landslide and a Corbyn majority could be very tight if things start to get messy.

Depends how messy.

If its a temporary blip that is overcome then like the Fuel Protests of 2000 which saw Hague poll leads in the polls prior to the Blair landslide of 2001 I think it will be much ado about nothing.
  • Options
    edited August 2019

I do, I live here.

Because I think Labour will focus on Austerity and the areas that Boris isn't re-funding. So far it's police and schools - Social care is going to require billions to fix and hasn't been mentioned..

And in a lot of areas Universal Credit is just kicking in now and is significantly reducing incomes.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited August 2019

I do, I live here.

Is there polling or electoral evidence of a waterfall of Labour seats turning blue in the NW?
    2010 and 2015.

There are a lot of swing seats here. If the Tories are to gain a majority back then it will be via winning votes here and in the Midlands, not where you're based.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    eek said:

eek said:

Just a thought...
    Nope - Corbyn is liked around here as you could witness at this years (and previous years) Durham Miner's Gala.

And there are a few swing seats around here - I don't think any of them will go to the Tories though.
    Bishop Auckland maybe.

Although I notice the (rather fit) candidate is rattled by the Brexit Party.

https://twitter.com/dehennadavison/status/1157223832597553152
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,001
    Evening all

I see everyone is still talking about Brexit.

So, I guess I'll go for a swim instead...
  • Options
    OllyT said:

TGOHF said:

OllyT said:

OllyT said:

Remain is trapped.

You are obviously of the opinion that after experiencing a No Deal Brexit a grateful nation will carry Johnson shoulder high and give him a huge majority. I see it panning out slightly differently.
    Well the remainers have lowered expectations for a no deal scenario so much that chances are expectation will be positive.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Evening all

I see everyone is still talking about Brexit.

So, I guess I'll go for a swim instead...

You expected otherwise @rcs1000 ?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,071

No downside? What is he going to do when the sheep are burning in the fields and petrol is running dry?

1) any election will be before then, and anyway...
    2) thus wont happen.

I look forward to continuing this exchange in the weeks after 31st Oct....
    For an election to happen before October 31st it needs to be called before parliament is prorogued. If parliament is prorogued without having forced Boris to extend or given him an election, he'll be stuffed.
    No he wont. He is now indelibly associated with leave by voters.

If we remain he wins. If we leave he wins.
    If we're still in the EU on November 1st and Johnson is still in Downing Street, how will he avoid being tainted? When Theresa May extended, he said it was nothing to do with MPs but because she was "chicken".
  • Options

eek said:

eek said:

Just a thought...

Bishop Auckland maybe.

Although I notice the (rather fit) candidate is rattled by the Brexit Party.

https://twitter.com/dehennadavison/status/1157223832597553152
    I'm not even sure about that - it's a rural constituency and the risk of burning sheep isn't going to go down well.
  • Options

I do, I live here.

2010 and 2015.

There are a lot of swing seats here. If the Tories are to gain a majority back then it will be via winning votes here and in the Midlands, not where you're based.
    Things are rather different now than in 2015 don't you think? What seats specifically do you see going Blue?
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,687

Depends how messy.

If its a temporary blip that is overcome then like the Fuel Protests of 2000 which saw Hague poll leads in the polls prior to the Blair landslide of 2001 I think it will be much ado about nothing.
    Weren't the fuel protests dealt with by giving in to the protesters? Who does the government give in to to resolve the No Deal chaos?
  • Options

Depends how messy.

Weren't the fuel protests dealt with by giving in to the protesters? Who does the government give in to to resolve the No Deal chaos?
    Probably will go crying to the EU with his tail between his legs.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Well the remainers have lowered expectations for a no deal scenario so much that chances are expectation will be positive.

Indeed.

Success = Reality minus Expectations.

Remainers have done a fantastic job at lowering expectations. If the country still has insulin and airplanes by Christmas that is going to exceed some people's expectations it seems.
  • Options
    Floater said:

Another mass shooting event Stateside

Midland/Odessa - it's a crazy oil boom town, where a bed in a trailer costs $150/night and you can earn $100/hour driving trucks.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,627

viewcode said:

Of course he wants an election. But he can’t get one without the cooperation of his opponents. They’re unlikely to give it
    Which means Corbyn a PM for 6 months. WHICH DESTROYS CON REMAINERS AND THE LIB DEMS WHEN THE ELECTION HAPPENS IN APRIL.

Just how dense are you people?

Not at all. Boris Johnson can be trapped in office.
    You just dont get it all.
    If parliament is prorogued without having taken No Deal off the table or giving Johnson an election, will his strategy have failed?
    It really wont. Because someone has to govern. And if that is not the Cons then it must include Labour, with all the oppo parties in the SHORT interregnum becoming tainted by association.

Cummings WANTS to fight a Corbyn-led Party. Even better a government that includes a Corbyn-led Labour...
    I think you missed my point. If the opposition sit on their hands and collectively say, "Ok, Boris, let's see if threatening No Deal forces the EU to capitulate," what can he do?
    He can LEAVE.
    He's told everyone that if the EU believe we will leave with No Deal, they will buckle. What will he do if he comes back from the European Council meeting empty handed? He's bluffing.
    He's not bluffing. He intends to leave. If the EU offered him a deal he would turn it down on a pretext.
    No. He would prefer a deal. But he will leave without one if necessary. There is no domestic political downside for him either way now.

That is the beauty (for him) of his post-May strategy....
    No downside? What is he going to do when the sheep are burning in the fields and petrol is running dry?
    Petrol isn't wet. Therefore, is it fair to say that it always runs dry?

Sorry, and goodnight.
  • Options

2) thus wont happen.

For an election to happen before October 31st it needs to be called before parliament is prorogued. If parliament is prorogued without having forced Boris to extend or given him an election, he'll be stuffed.

If we're still in the EU on November 1st and Johnson is still in Downing Street, how will he avoid being tainted? When Theresa May extended, he said it was nothing to do with MPs but because she was "chicken".
    There are no scenarios in which there is PM Boris and still in the EU on 1st Nov.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

2) thus wont happen.

There are no scenarios in which there is PM Boris and still in the EU on 1st Nov.
    That's quite the statement. Please tell me next weeks lottery numbers?
  • Options

I do, I live here.

2010 and 2015.

That is true. Although, these were the very areas where it was expected last time. The Tory performance in the NW compared with expectations, in 2017, though, was dire. As was Yorkshire and Wales. Certainly in seat terms.
    Midlands less so.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

Indeed.

Remainers have done a fantastic job at lowering expectations. If the country still has insulin and airplanes by Christmas that is going to exceed some people's expectations it seems.
    This is a country where there were 999 calls because KFC didn't get deliveries even after it was the 2nd item on the news.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

2) thus wont happen.

That's quite the statement. Please tell me next weeks lottery numbers?
    If you want to be in the EU after 31/10 you need to VONC Boris and find a new PM that the house will support.

There are no realistic other options.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Floater said:

Labour in Scotland used to think that.

Labour in Wales used to think that.
    You note that the left love to talk about hatred

Hate is what they do.
    But fair play to Labour, they do hate so well.

Especially of Jews.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

Indeed.

If I watch a football match expecting Newcastle to lose 5-0 and they only lose 4-0 I still think Mike Ashley is a bald, fat, sorry excuse for a man.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:
    Where does 5% magically appear from - who were that 5% voting for previously?
  • Options
  • Options

TGOHF said:

Indeed.

If I watch a football match expecting Newcastle to lose 5-0 and they only lose 4-0 I still think Mike Ashley is a bald, fat, sorry excuse for a man.
    Even if Newcastle won 5-0, Mike Ashley would still be a bald, fat, sorry excuse for a man.
  • Options
    eek said:

TGOHF said:
    Where does 5% magically appear from - who were that 5% voting for previously?
    Green? :D
  • Options
    TGOHF said:
    Paging Brenda...General Election here we come.
  • Options

I do, I live here.

2010 and 2015.

Things are rather different now than in 2015 don't you think? What seats specifically do you see going Blue?
    I'd be surprised if these don't flip:
    Crewe and Nantwich
    Barrow and Furness
    Warrington South

Potentially also:
    Blackpool South
    Weaver Vale

That's without counting the Midlands or anywhere else. More chances there than the North East I imagine.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,011
    edited August 2019

Mr Rees-Mogg, who went to Balmoral to gain the Queen's approval for the dramatic suspension last week, lays down the gauntlet as an exclusive Mail on Sunday poll predicts Mr Johnson would win a majority of 28 seats in an Election – rising to 84 if Nigel Farage's Brexit Party stands aside.

35% - Tory
    24% - Labour
    18% - Lib Dem
    14% - Brexit

With Brexit Party standing aside

41% - Tory
    26% - Labour
    20% - Lib Dem

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7415007/Youre-scared-election-bring-Boris-Johnson-Jacob-Rees-Mogg-tells-Remainer-rabble.html

Interesting on that poll while the Brexit Party take 6% off the Tory vote if they stand, they also take 2% off the Labour vote and 2% off the LDs vote too.

In any case they will only not stand if Boris commits to No Deal and abandons the Withdrawal Agreement completely (even minus the backstop) which Boris won't do, he will only go No Deal as a last resort to ensure Brexit
  • Options
    Anecdotally from speaking to people at work in leave voting, working class, County Durham, the prevailing view is that they just want Brexit out of the way. They are sick of it.

They don't think anything will change. They just wan't people to shut up about it.

If their lives get worse or more inconvenient in any way, I think the Tories are in for a hell of a shock.
  • Options

I do, I live here.

2010 and 2015.

Crewe and Nantwich
    Barrow and Furness
    Warrington South

Potentially also:
    Blackpool South
    Weaver Vale

That's without counting the Midlands or anywhere else. More chances there than the North East I imagine.
    So that makes up for the losses in Scotland (assuming the Tories lose 6 seats and not the 9 I suspect they will). Boris is going to have to win a lot of seats in the <idlands.
  • Options

Depends how messy.

No need to give in. If there's temporary disruption but the disruption is resolved then there's likely to be little proper change in voting. Especially since a little disruption won't be a shock.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:
    LDs again closer to Corbyn Labour than Labour are to the Tories on that poll
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    HYUFD said:

In any case they will only not stand if Boris commits to No Deal and abandons the Withdrawal Agreement completely (even minus the backstop) which Boris won't do, he will only go No Deal as a last resort to ensure Brexit

This week.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

Indeed.

Fair point, well made.
    However. Leavers also have to contend with the fact that there is a large group of people who expect to have no foreign languages spoken, a massive increase in benefits, a step change in the NHS provision, lower crime, lower prices, any and all of their particular hobby horses solved, and of course, a change to the handball rule all by Christmas as well.
    There are a large group of Leavers with sky high expectations of what leaving will achieve.
    And, a great many of them expect it instantly.
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,771

TGOHF said:
    Paging Brenda...General Election here we come.
    "Oh no, not *another* one!"
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Mr Rees-Mogg, who went to Balmoral to gain the Queen's approval for the dramatic suspension last week, lays down the gauntlet as an exclusive Mail on Sunday poll predicts Mr Johnson would win a majority of 28 seats in an Election – rising to 84 if Nigel Farage's Brexit Party stands aside.

35% - Tory
    24% - Labour
    18% - Lib Dem
    14% - Brexit

With Brexit Party standing aside

41% - Tory
    26% - Labour
    20% - Lib Dem

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7415007/Youre-scared-election-bring-Boris-Johnson-Jacob-Rees-Mogg-tells-Remainer-rabble.html

Interesting on that poll while the Brexit Party take 6% off the Tory vote if they stand, they also take 2% off the Labour vote and 2% off the LDs vote too.

That's not necessarily true. If Brexit voters choose to abstain, then that would result in everyone else seeing their shares rise.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969
  • Options
    eek said:

I do, I live here.

2010 and 2015.

Crewe and Nantwich
    Barrow and Furness
    Warrington South

Potentially also:
    Blackpool South
    Weaver Vale

So that makes up for the losses in Scotland (assuming the Tories lose 6 seats and not the 9 I suspect they will). Boris is going to have to win a lot of seats in the
    There's 11 seats in the Midlands requiring a swing under 5% [and more in the NW that would fall with that] and that's without counting Yorkshire or other regions either.

The Tories could win the Midlands and NW marginals alone, lose every single Scottish seat and still end up with a majority.
  • Options

Anecdotally from speaking to people at work in leave voting, working class, County Durham, the prevailing view is that they just want Brexit out of the way. They are sick of it.

They don't think anything will change. They just wan't people to shut up about it.

If their lives get worse or more inconvenient in any way, I think the Tories are in for a hell of a shock.

The Tories won't win the North, Labour still leads the Tories there in the latest Yougov but given the Tories lead Labour in the Midlands and Wales, the South, London and Scotland in the same poll they do not need to
  • Options

That chimes with mine from a similar area. However, as I said below, there is a subset who really do expect all their wishes to instantly be granted.
    Those are the really worrisome ones.
  • Options

Isn't that basically what @Big_G_NorthWales was saying earlier?

I think its the prevailing view of most of the country. Rightly or wrongly I think most people think that the decision was made 3.5 years ago, we've debated it long enough, time to JFDI.

I think if the opposition forces a six month extension for navel gazing with no alternative plan then it will not go down well.
  • Options

eek said:

I do, I live here.

2010 and 2015.

Crewe and Nantwich
    Barrow and Furness
    Warrington South

Potentially also:
    Blackpool South
    Weaver Vale

So that makes up for the losses in Scotland (assuming the Tories lose 6 seats and not the 9 I suspect they will). Boris is going to have to win a lot of seats in the
    There's 11 seats in the Midlands requiring a swing under 5% [and more in the NW that would fall with that] and that's without counting Yorkshire or other regions either.

The Tories could win the Midlands and NW marginals alone, lose every single Scottish seat and still end up with a majority.
    You’re forgetting places like Putny, Hastings, Richmond Park even Rees Mogg’s seat could easily go the other way.

I could see Berwick going Lib Dem again too although this is a long shot.
  • Options
    eek said:

TGOHF said:

Indeed.

This is a country where there were 999 calls because KFC didn't get deliveries even after it was the 2nd item on the news.
    By how many people?

There are cranks and crazies of all varieties and I suspect that anyone that moronic doesn't vote anyway.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

I do, I live here.

2010 and 2015.

That is true. Although, these were the very areas where it was expected last time. The Tory performance in the NW compared with expectations, in 2017, though, was dire. As was Yorkshire and Wales. Certainly in seat terms.
    Midlands less so.
    Absolutely it was. Which means if the next campaign is not a complete and utter balls up like last time there's plenty of scope for recovery in seat terms.

A number of the seats I named were Tory 2010-2017 and regaining them should be a target.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

The Tories won't win the North, Labour still leads the Tories there in the latest Yougov but given the Tories lead Labour in the Midlands and Wales, the South, London and Scotland in the same poll they do not need to
    That has literally no relevance. I’m talking about a hypothetical no deal situation.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited August 2019

eek said:

I do, I live here.

2010 and 2015.

Crewe and Nantwich
    Barrow and Furness
    Warrington South

Potentially also:
    Blackpool South
    Weaver Vale

You’re forgetting places like Putny, Hastings, Richmond Park even Rees Mogg’s seat could easily go the other way.

I'm forgetting nothing, there's a lot of ifs and maybes. A lot of seats that I'd expect to change hands either way long before seats like City of Durham become remotely relevant.
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,771
    AndyJS said:
    We need a thread on AV...
  • Options

eek said:

I do, I live here.

2010 and 2015.

Crewe and Nantwich
    Barrow and Furness
    Warrington South

Potentially also:
    Blackpool South
    Weaver Vale

They could indeed. But that pre supposes no surprises in the South. Marginals are not what they were.
  • Options
    edited August 2019

I think its the prevailing view of most of the country. Rightly or wrongly I think most people think that the decision was made 3.5 years ago, we've debated it long enough, time to JFDI.

I think if the opposition forces a six month extension for navel gazing with no alternative plan then it will not go down well.
    I'm not so sure. No Deal means 10-30 years of continual negotiations over absolutely everything - once you tell people that, another six months an agreed deal and a organised exit really doesn't seem anywhere near as bad.
  • Options

eek said:

I do, I live here.

2010 and 2015.

Crewe and Nantwich
    Barrow and Furness
    Warrington South

Potentially also:
    Blackpool South
    Weaver Vale

I'm forgetting nothing, there's a lot of ifs and maybes. A lot of seats that I'd expect to change hands either way long before seats like City of Durham [which voted nearly 60% Remain btw] become remotely relevant.
    Who’s talking about the City of Durham?
  • Options

eek said:

I do, I live here.

2010 and 2015.

Crewe and Nantwich
    Barrow and Furness
    Warrington South

Potentially also:
    Blackpool South
    Weaver Vale

I'm forgetting nothing, there's a lot of ifs and maybes. A lot of seats that I'd expect to change hands either way long before seats like City of Durham [which voted nearly 60% Remain btw] become remotely relevant.
    You were talking about the North East. You named County Durham. City of Durham is a seat within County Durham within the North East. Seemed relevant.

• Options
    CatMan said:

AndyJS said:
    We need a thread on AV...
    AV isn't proportional...
  • Options

eek said:

I do, I live here.

2010 and 2015.

Crewe and Nantwich
    Barrow and Furness
    Warrington South

Potentially also:
    Blackpool South
    Weaver Vale

You were talking about the North East. You named County Durham. City of Durham is a seat within County Durham within the North East. Seemed relevant.

That’s like me using Manchester Central as a counter point to your North West commentary.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,946
    The Tory messaging for an upcoming election is all very simple:

You voted Leave, so we’ll leave
    Brexit on the 31st October
    More money for NHS, Police and schools

What is the messaging for the opposition?

Let’s extend because we’re a bit frit.
    Let’s renege on the referendum altogether
    We can’t possibly leave because x, y and z

I can only see that going one way.
  • Options
    eek said:

I'm not so sure. No Deal means 10-30 years of continual negotiations over absolutely everything - once you tell people that, another six months an agreed deal and a organised exit really doesn't seem anywhere near as bad.
    Continual negotiations is a fact of life. The Swiss are in permanent continual negotiations but they don't seem as stressed as we are about whether to be in the EU or not.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

I do, I live here.

2010 and 2015.

Midlands less so.
    Absolutely it was. Which means if the next campaign is not a complete and utter balls up like last time there's plenty of scope for recovery in seat terms.

A number of the seats I named were Tory 2010-2017 and regaining them should be a target.
    Well yes of course. And for clarity, I firmly expect a Tory majority assuming we have left. However, the phrases poison chalice and Pyrrhic Victory, in terms of expectations, doesn't come near to covering it.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,201
    eek said:

Should Boris get his landslide pre- the effects of no deal he could future-proof his Premiership to survive even significant negative effects of no deal.

I am not sure how this might be progressed, although I am sure Mr Cummings does.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

That has literally no relevance. I’m talking about a hypothetical no deal situation.
    Which only increases the Tory vote as the Brexit Party collapse, the worst scenario for the Tories is extend again, not No Deal
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Which only increases the Tory vote as the Brexit Party collapse, the worst scenario for the Tories is extend again, not No Deal
    You have no idea what No Deal will entail. None of us do. Therefore there is no way you can say that.

It is simply wishful thinking.
  • Options

eek said:

Should Boris get his landslide pre- the effects of no deal he could future-proof his Premiership to survive even significant negative effects of no deal.

I am not sure how this might be progressed, although I am sure Mr Cummings does.
    Boris Il Duce for life?
  • Options
    edited August 2019

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

You have no idea what No Deal will entail. None of us do. Therefore there is no way you can say that.

I know it will entail Brexit at last unlike further extension (though I still prefer the Withdrawal Agreement minus the backstop)
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

eek said:

Boris Il Duce for life?
    At least the truth is coming out now.
  • Options

That’s like me using Manchester Central as a counter point to your North West commentary.
    Except you said and I'll paraphrase "the strategy won't work because it won't swing rock solid Labour seats where I live" and I said "let's instead look at the swing seats like in the North West and Midlands".

City of Durham with its 25.6% majority for Labour is precisely the sort of seat you seemed to be referencing, but Manchester Central isn't a counter point as while it may be in the North West it is NOT a swing seat. Its also not a swing seat won by Leave which is what I also referenced.

Across the North West if we have a genuine Brexit election [as opposed to the 2017 farce of one] the Tories will struggle more than normal in seats like Manchester Central [which makes no difference because they were going to lose that anyway] but may benefit more in seats like Crewe and Nantwich.

Labour or Lib Dems piling up votes in Manchester Central will do them no favours.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    To emphasise my point, several people, unprompted, have told me at the food bank, that once we are out of the EU, Boris will be able to abolish Universal Credit and put a stop to benefit sanctions.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I know it will entail Brexit at last unlike further extension (though I still prefer the Withdrawal Agreement minus the backstop)
    Yes. So no idea.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,780
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

I do, I live here.

2010 and 2015.

Midlands less so.

Well yes of course. And for clarity, I firmly expect a Tory majority assuming we have left. However, the phrases poison chalice and Pyrrhic Victory, in terms of expectations, doesn't come near to covering it.
    If the Tories can win a majority and it turns out to be a pyrrhic victory, well, a majority probably ensures they can hold out the full five years even if suddenly very unpopular (the only reason they didn't last time they had one was seeking to improve upon it) in which case they will be in power in one way or another for 14 years, which is a decent length of time to be in power, and the prospect of losing, even potentially losing big, after 14 years, will hardly put them off now.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Using your logic you can't say No Deal will be bad. It is simply pessimistic thinking.

Odd logic.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I actually agree with that. I don't necessarily agree with how well the Tories will do under either, but no deal is, from a party perspective, the best option.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

To emphasise my point, several people, unprompted, have told me at the food bank, that once we are out of the EU, Boris will be able to abolish Universal Credit and put a stop to benefit sanctions.

Yep - once we leave the EU everyone's unicorn will instantly become real.

It's why if people are sensible they don't want an election in 2019 whatever happens.
  • Options
    Tories had big leads over Labour earlier this year too, while May was leader. So long as there is no extension the Tories could maintain it this time I suppose.
  • Options

Except you said and I'll paraphrase "the strategy won't work because it won't swing rock solid Labour seats where I live" and I said "let's instead look at the swing seats like in the North West and Midlands".

City of Durham with its 25.6% majority for Labour is precisely the sort of seat you seemed to be referencing, but Manchester Central isn't a counter point as while it may be in the North West it is NOT a swing seat. Its also not a swing seat won by Leave which is what I also referenced.

Across the North West if we have a genuine Brexit election [as opposed to the 2017 farce of one] the Tories will struggle more than normal in seats like Manchester Central [which makes no difference because they were going to lose that anyway] but may benefit more in seats like Crewe and Nantwich.

Labour or Lib Dems piling up votes in Manchester Central will do them no favours.
    I’m not referencing City of Durham.

I’m talking about working class Leave seats like Gateshead, Blaydon, Jarrow, South Shields, Sunderland Central, Washington and Sunderland West, Houghton and Sunderland South, Wansbeck, Blyth Valley.

This is not middle class suburbia.
  • Options
    surbiton19surbiton19 Posts: 1,469
    dixiedean said:

Why do they believe all this ? Why do the poorest support Trump ? Is it a false honour ?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

I do, I live here.

2010 and 2015.

Midlands less so.

If the Tories can win a majority and it turns out to be a pyrrhic victory, well, a majority probably ensures they can hold out the full five years even if suddenly very unpopular (the only reason they didn't last time they had one was seeking to improve upon it) in which case they will be in power in one way or another for 14 years, which is a decent length of time to be in power, and the prospect of losing, even potentially losing big, after 14 years, will hardly put them off now.
    No it won't. And why should it? However, I think it will be Major 92-97 on steroids. Just with the difference that Major got the highest ever vote, and Boris struggled to 35%.
  • Options
    edited August 2019

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Using your logic you can't say No Deal will be bad. It is simply pessimistic thinking.

Odd logic.
    I didn’t say No Deal was bad. I said that if their lives got worse or more inconvenient in any way the Tories would be in for a shock as they are expecting no negative consequences.
  • Options
    MauveMauve Posts: 129
    Has anyone asked the DUP if they're in favour of a no deal Brexit? Given the narrow margins involved it would be useful to know which way they'd vote. Have they even pledged to support Johnson yet, or does he need to give them another bribe incentive first? I suspect that Cummings can't threaten to sack their MPs for voting against no deal...
  • Options
    edited August 2019

dixiedean said:

Why do they believe all this ? Why do the poorest support Trump ? Is it a false honour ?
    Simply the need to believe something. If you are 55, in poor physical and mental health, no qualifications, no skills commensurate with the modern world, no job and no prospects of one, and potentially 20 years from falling over the line for a triple lock pension, you need to believe.
    Otherwise, you wouldn't go on.
  • Options
    eek said:

I do, I live here.

2010 and 2015.

Crewe and Nantwich
    Barrow and Furness
    Warrington South

Potentially also:
    Blackpool South
    Weaver Vale

He could lose many in the South East and South West.
  • Options
    Mauve said:

Has anyone asked the DUP if they're in favour of a no deal Brexit? Given the narrow margins involved it would be useful to know which way they'd vote. Have they even pledged to support Johnson yet, or does he need to give them another bribe incentive first? I suspect that Cummings can't threaten to sack their MPs for voting against no deal...

They do seem to have been uncharacteristically quiet in the past few months. I don't know if they have been categorical in confirming they support leaving with no deal, in the event a better deal cannot be found, but the very fact the DUP of all people, who are far from shy from making their views very well known at great volume, have at the least not been coming out and saying they will definitely oppose no deal, leads me to conclude they presumably back it.
  • Options
    Mauve said:

The DUP support NO Deal. They were a Trump party before Trump.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

As the great Brexiteer hero Churchill once said - "The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter"
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Wait - are you admitting it might not be the end of days?

• Options
    edited August 2019

eek said:

I do, I live here.

2010 and 2015.

Crewe and Nantwich
    Barrow and Furness
    Warrington South

Potentially also:
    Blackpool South
    Weaver Vale

He could lose many in the South East and South West.
  • Options
    edited August 2019

dixiedean said:

They don't, voters earning under $50 000 a year voted for Hillary in 2016, Trump had his biggest lead with middle income voters earning $50 to $100 000 a year, while Hillary almost tied Trump with voters earning over $100 000 a year

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_United_States_presidential_election
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151

Continual negotiations is a fact of life. The Swiss are in permanent continual negotiations but they don't seem as stressed as we are about whether to be in the EU or not.

They have the basic arrangements fairly stably defined, which is where the UK is heading if the WA passes, but is the *goal* of some very contentious future negotiations if you start from No Deal.

However the Swiss immigration referendum had a lot in common with the Brexit one: It was premised on the idea that the EU would generously accomodate something that the anti-EU people wanted to do, and resulted in a lot of ongoing anger and frustration from the anti-immigration side when the government then failed to deliver it.
  • Options

Mauve said:

The DUP support NO Deal. They were a Trump party before Trump.
    I can believe that. Does that mean that Arlene Foster is going to ask for another £1bn before agreeing to vote for Johnson in a VONC though? And, if so, would that £1bn need a Parliamentary bill that can be amended?
This discussion has been closed.